Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/29/18

buffynut
  • Start Topic

Joy and Meghan should have stayed home. Maybe they had no choice since Whoopi was out, but if you're sick you should stay at home, especially if you're hosting a talk show. It would be funny if Ana ends up co-hosting more days because everyone is out sick. It will just be her, Sunny, Paula (if she can make it), and whatever guest host they can find since they don't have anyone else at the moment. I wonder who would moderate though?

I can't stand Michael Wolff. Even if some of his book is true, he's such a sleazeball and every interview I see of him gets worse and worse. He didn't deny the affair allegations on Bill Maher and when he was on the Daily Show and Trevor asked where he got the affair information from, Wolff just said that it's in the book and to read between the lines. Trump is a massive tool, but this book shouldn't be pushed the way it is when it's gossip.

As for what Meghan said, I kind of understand. I think the problem with modern day 'feminism' is that while it's about equality at it's core, depending on who you talk to it changes dramatically. MM saying that she's pro life and people deem her as a non feminist makes sense. There are people who say that Muslim women can't be feminists unless they take off their hijabs and do this and that. Or they push for white women initiatives, but ignore minorities and the hardships women endure in racism and sexism. It's only a vocal minority, but I do get why people are afraid of saying they are a feminist because they don't want to be branded in a certain way even though they believe in equality. It's a complicated issue though. (Which is weird, because like Sunny said it's akin to BLM and how it just means that black lives matter too. Feminism is pretty much the same thing where you all lives matter but so do women)

And I thought the Senator was quite good. It says something that she pushed for Franken to leave, as it makes her seem more credible even though the situation wasn't as bad as what we've seen and heard. Joy and Meghan both went in on her, but she kept her calm and kept reiterating her points even if they weren't seen as favourable. I don't know if she'll run for Pres, since she said she isn't, but if she did and MeToo was brought up she'd have a major leg to stand on over everyone else.

10 minutes ago, rcc said:

Sunny and Ana should have Purel nearby.

I feel like I'm one of those weird people who are super against Purel. I don't know about the company or anything, but I feel like those kinds of products just makes people sicker.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

And I thought the Senator was quite good. It says something that she pushed for Franken to leave, as it makes her seem more credible even though the situation wasn't as bad as what we've seen and heard. Joy and Meghan both went in on her, but she kept her calm and kept reiterating her points even if they weren't seen as favourable. I don't know if she'll run for Pres, since she said she isn't, but if she did and MeToo was brought up she'd have a major leg to stand on over everyone else.

I think she would as well. She likable, and not overbearing..she should run( jmho)

5 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I can't see them doing a live interview with McGowan, ABC legal department would be going crazy.

Okay..that's what I thought. 

• Love 1

The Senator has the same "affliction" as MM ... her chest goes bright red when she's stressed.  Hint:  Wear clothes that won't reveal "your weakness".  (If I'm stressed, I don't want the person I'm talking with see the "red flags".  Just sayin'.)

• Love 14
1 hour ago, backformore said:

Feminism means the belief that men and women should have equal access to education, jobs, salaries, housing, etc. 

When I was in my 20s this was not the case. It was accepted, for example, that a woman with a college degree would be hired as a secretary to a man with the exact same qualifications. And the woman would get half the salary. It was defended as ok because the woman would quit once she got married/pregnant.  Married women could not buy a car, or get a credit card without their husbands signature. College professors could discriminate against women with no repercussions.

AND...men can and should be feminists too.   I "brainwashed" my little boys (born in '66 and '68) and it worked!  They're great feminists and were lucky enough to have several female bosses in their careers.  I guess Rush would call them FemiNazis!

When Mervyn's (department store) came to my town, one of their print ads declared that they wanted to hire "housewives," because they were experts in budgeting, inventory, shopping, etc.  They also opened credit cards for married women in their own name.  I opened an account in my name...and my statement came in my husband's name!!!  (I don't recall giving it).

• Love 17

What I found very disappointing about today's show and their discussion about the grammy's was not mentioning the hypocrisy of it all. For instance, take Lordes, the ONLY female nominated for album of the year, and the ONLY nominee who was not asked to perform solo for the show, while the other male nominess did. She has been quite vocal about this, and called them out for this. The grammy's response, Well we can't fit everyone on the show, yet the put U2 on it multiple times, who were not even nominated for a grammy.

And let's talk about Kesha who did perform to a room full of people who accused her of lying, and still continue to work with her accuser.

I could really go on and on about the Grammy show, but anyone can look up the reviews, and see all of the criticism of it. So you want to get political on the show! Read Fire and Fury! Fine, but lets call out the hypocrisy of it all as well!

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

The Senator has the same "affliction" as MM ... her chest goes bright red when she's stressed.  Hint:  Wear clothes that won't reveal "your weakness".  (If I'm stressed, I don't want the person I'm talking with see the "red flags".  Just sayin'.)

Mine does, and I just say, deal with it. Why do I need to hide.

2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Joy was voicing what a lot of people feel and Kirsten Gillebrand was the target of a lot hate and vitriol for her stance against Franken. The base was not very happy with her.  I am not minimizing the accusations against him, but, we have to be careful in not putting everybody in the same boat.  There has to be a spectrum.. I do think that Kirsten was also doing a bit of damage control today, she did say that she is up for re-election this year..

She also glossed over Joy's question as to why Al Franken wasn't granted the ethics prob he requested. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

What I found very disappointing about today's show and their discussion about the grammy's was not mentioning the hypocrisy of it all. For instance, take Lordes, the ONLY female nominated for album of the year, and the ONLY nominee who was not asked to perform solo for the show, while the other male nominess did. She has been quite vocal about this, and called them out for this. The grammy's response, Well we can't fit everyone on the show, yet the put U2 on it multiple times, who were not even nominated for a grammy.

And let's talk about Kesha who did perform to a room full of people who accused her of lying, and still continue to work with her accuser.

I could really go on and on about the Grammy show, but anyone can look up the reviews, and see all of the criticism of it. So you want to get political on the show! Read Fire and Fury! Fine, but lets call out the hypocrisy of it all as well!

The President of the Academy was asked about Alessia Cara being the only female winner last night, and he said that women in the industry need to step up their game.  So, according to him (and of course it's a him), it's the women's fault that they aren't nominated or win.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lexytheblasian said:

There is definitely some tension between the two.

When MM accused Ana of not being a  "Real Republican", Whoopi immediately cut to break. I get the impression the discussion between the 2 must have carried-on behind the scenes. You could cut the tension with a knife today. Ana being an immigrant, this is a very personal issue for her and MM's comment hit below the belt ...MM's standard modus operandi! I think the real interesting 'bits' on this show happen behind the scenes. Oh but to be a fly on the wall!

When co-hosts disagree or victims of MM's personal attacks, usually all is forgotten the next day at least while onair. 

• Love 16
16 minutes ago, Catnip said:

When MM accused Ana of not being a  "Real Republican", Whoopi immediately cut to break. I get the impression the discussion between the 2 must have carried-on behind the scenes. You could cut the tension with a knife today. Ana being an immigrant, this is a very personal issue for her and MM's comment hit below the belt ...MM's standard modus operandi! I think the real interesting 'bits' on this show happen behind the scenes. Oh but to be a fly on the wall!

When co-hosts disagree or victims of MM's personal attacks, usually all is forgotten the next day at least while onair. 

I saw no animosity,( I thought Ana was above that)  I did see them share a smile about something..I guess we all see sometime different..

Besides, that all water under the bridge for grown ups( or should be)

• Love 1

As a New Yorker I was never too fond of KG.  She's former NRA and this really bothers me.   I always reluctantly vote for her because I can't vote for R's.   I started to warm up to her in 2017.  After the Franken thing I've soured on her again.

Edited by partofme
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

MM saying that she's pro life and people deem her as a non feminist makes sense.

It makes perfect sense in a way.  Men are never rated on if they push for an abortion or if they even use protection.  HRC told MM that a pro lifer could be in the democratic party because ones personal views are not the views of the party but, just like feminism, if you don't believe in abortion don't have one but you can't outlaw a women's right.  THAT IS FEMINISM.  The right for women to have the same rights as men in all ways.  Whoopi has said many times, rightly so, that a woman who feels she needs an abortion will have one, legal or not.  Now I will shut up about studies since it hasn't been featured on the show..............................................

14 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I just realized posters can like themselves now. Interesting.

Interesting indeed.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Feminism is about equal rights and choice. 

And equal pay.

oh SHUT UP, Meghan! With the false equivalencey and trying to whatever it was you were trying to do when you suggested “what if President Obama’s had an affair with...”???

First, President Obama isn’t a thrice married, serial cheating, accused sexual predator like 45 is. That’s FACT. 

And then her clapping at what Senator Gillebrand  said, but then attacked- and yeah, guess she didn’t write down her questions and she looked ridiculous reading off those questions against the Clintons (AGAIN??) and then looked at the senator for her answer. She sounded awful and should have stayed home. 

And Gillebrand absolutely glossed over the Al Franken discussion. Like why she and others didn’t just let the hearings for Franken take place instead of demanding his resignation. Yet kept saying hearings needed to be held to hear from 45’s accusers.

That said, I’m glad she didn’t rise to Meghan’s bait about whether she regretted supporting Bill Clinton.

And Meghan seriously needs to look up the definition of what feminism is, because it is VERY INCLUSIVE and not limited to just women who are Pro-Choice. By her admitting that she’s not, she is saying she is against equal rights for EVERYONE, as well as against equal work for equal pay, and for women to have choices-be they pro-LIFE or Pro-CHOICE.????

I didn’t sense or see any tension between Ana and Meghan. What I did see was that Meghan didn’t engage with her. Gee, I wonder why?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 23
6 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Joy and Meghan should have stayed home. Maybe they had no choice since Whoopi was out, but if you're sick you should stay at home, especially if you're hosting a talk show. It would be funny if Ana ends up co-hosting more days because everyone is out sick. It will just be her, Sunny, Paula (if she can make it), and whatever guest host they can find since they don't have anyone else at the moment. I wonder who would moderate though?

It would be either Paula or Sunny.  Paula is the longest co-host and she has done it before.  It would be interesting to see that panel.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, backformore said:

Wolff said people should read between the lines in his book. 

People have found hints that the woman could be Nikki Haley. Others believe it could be Hope Hicks. On The View, they've only, to my knowledge, discussed the first possibility.

So they only discussed Nikki Haley.?The only person I heard (rumors)about ,  was Hope Hicks.  I actually believed the HH rumors, not that  I even care at this point. 

Where did the NH rumor start? Did the women of the The View say where the rumor started?  I didn't watch the whole show. NH doesn't even seem like Trump's type. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Yes the word feminist has been made to have a negative connotation.  

They (want to) keep us divided and diminished by using negative labels on us. My snippy granddaughter benefits in So Many Ways thanks to feminists/feminism but she Loves to let you know that she doesn't "believe in all that." Gah!

• Love 16
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And Meghan seriously needs to look up the definition of what feminism is, because it is VERY INCLUSIVE and not limited to just women who are Pro-Choice.

Meghan likes playing the poor put upon victim.  Boo frickin' hoo.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, suomi said:

They (want to) keep us divided and diminished by using negative labels on us. My snippy granddaughter benefits in So Many Ways thanks to feminists/feminism but she Loves to let you know that she doesn't "believe in all that." Gah!

Oh the horrors!  Seriously, the horrors.  I am lucky to have been born into an immigrant, feminist family and all my sibs and their issue have married into feminism as well.  My brother will tell you that feminism gave him the open opportunity to be on an equal footing with his wife in regards to their children.  He loved it.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

She also glossed over Joy's question as to why Al Franken wasn't granted the ethics prob he requested. 

Thanks. That's what I was wondering (and what I missed). I may not watch it. I am still angry. I'm glad Joy asked her it, right out. I think the ethics probe(s) would be the best way to handle any of these people who don't decide to resign on their own. Let the whole story come out.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And Meghan seriously needs to look up the definition of what feminism is, because it is VERY INCLUSIVE and not limited to just women who are Pro-Choice. By her admitting that she’s not, she is saying she is against equal rights for EVERYONE, as well as against equal work for equal pay, and for women to have choices-be they pro-LIFE or Pro-CHOICE.????

I didn’t sense or see any tension between Ana and Meghan. What I did see was that Meghan didn’t engage with her. Gee, I wonder why?

McCain's not feminist because it's still not a popular term among the conservative base. She's a frequent liar, but not an adept one. 

What's funny is, when Joy opened the discussion, made it a point to read a good working definition of feminism. Meghan's original exception -- that she's pro-life and most of the feminist movement identifies as pro-choice -- that was all right with me, but then she just descended into blah blah. I'm glad Sunny pointed out that she's pro-life and a feminist.

And by the way I'm pro-choice, but I know many pro-life feminists and I don't think they should be excluded from the movement, so I appreciated what Sunny had to say. 

Sarah Bunting (Sars) wrote this blog entry at Tomato Nation about who fits the definition of feminism. It's from 2003, and I don't know if or how she would tweak it now, but I still appreciate it. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

Countless musicians and celebrities supported Kesha at the time. The legal system did her in, though. She continued to work with her accuser because the female (!) judge in her court case did not allow her to be released from her contract. Coincidently (or not), the judge is married to a lawyer who represents Sony Records, which is a parent company to Kesha's accuser's label.

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Countless musicians and celebrities supported Kesha at the time. The legal system did her in, though. She continued to work with her accuser because the female (!) judge in her court case did not allow her to be released from her contract. Coincidently (or not), the judge is married to a lawyer who represents Sony Records, which is a parent company to Kesha's accuser's label.

Sounds like she should have grounds for an appeal then.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

the camera showed Meghan's face and she looked pissed.

This is applicable hundreds of times a week. Meghan is always pissed on this show, unless her dad or "bastard uncle" is on. She has two emotions, 90% pissed/scolding, and 10% smiling/fawned over.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, General Days said:

Thanks. That's what I was wondering (and what I missed). I may not watch it. I am still angry. I'm glad Joy asked her it, right out. I think the ethics probe(s) would be the best way to handle any of these people who don't decide to resign on their own. Let the whole story come out.

McCain's not feminist because it's still not a popular term among the conservative base. She's a frequent liar, but not an adept one. 

What's funny is, when Joy opened the discussion, made it a point to read a good working definition of feminism. Meghan's original exception -- that she's pro-life and most of the feminist movement identifies as pro-choice -- that was all right with me, but then she just descended into blah blah. I'm glad Sunny pointed out that she's pro-life and a feminist.

And by the way I'm pro-choice, but I know many pro-life feminists and I don't think they should be excluded from the movement, so I appreciated what Sunny had to say. 

Sarah Bunting (Sars) wrote this blog entry at Tomato Nation about who fits the definition of feminism. It's from 2003, and I don't know if or how she would tweak it now, but I still appreciate it. 

It is sad that we still have to define feminism.  For women, and for men.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Countless musicians and celebrities supported Kesha at the time. The legal system did her in, though. She continued to work with her accuser because the female (!) judge in her court case did not allow her to be released from her contract.

Kesha's performance brought me to tears. Talk about cathartic! Talk about female support! Dr. Luke, the accused abuser, is no longer in the business and she was able to come out with her first album in five years (she is still legally bound to the label, but not to his involvement, thank God). Many people in the music business gave her money for her legal defense, including Taylor Swift. I was so proud of her last night, and I wish The View had concentrated on her victory - to me that's what it was - more than they did. It was the most noteworthy moment of the night, in my opinion. 

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Wasn't she part of a campaign for reproductive rights along with her mother, a few years ago. I remember she got a lot of pushback for her stance.

You may be thinking of her pro-gay rights stance. She and her mother appeared in the NOH8 campaign with duct tape on their mouths. I think this was right after John McCain voted against marriage equality, so it was newsworthy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

She and her mother appeared in the NOH8 campaign with duct tape on their mouths.

There are many days I wish MM would appear on The View in the same manner.  Today was one, as she snapped back sarcastically to Joy after Joy groaned over MM's musings of  “what if President Obama’s had an affair with...”.  It doesn't take much for MM to get her bitch on.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

You may be thinking of her pro-gay rights stance. She and her mother appeared in the NOH8 campaign with duct tape on their mouths.

10 minutes ago, Tunia said:

There are many days I wish MM would appear on The View in the same manner.

I can't believe I'm still up at this late hour, but worth it to read your comment. Thank you @Tunia for the belly laugh! 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

Because 7 more women came forward after he requested an ethics probe. Franken resigning stopped more women from coming forward IMO. If he had tried to stick it out, they would have just kept coming and coming. He obviously had a pattern to groping women at photo shoots.  Franken was smart enough to see that this wasn't going to get better and that he was hurting the party and the state by staying in the Senate.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, imjagain said:

So they only discussed Nikki Haley.?The only person I heard (rumors)about ,  was Hope Hicks.  I actually believed the HH rumors, not that  I even care at this point. 

Where did the NH rumor start? Did the women of the The View say where the rumor started?  I didn't watch the whole show. NH doesn't even seem like Trump's type. 

Probably someone mixed them up.  HH is less known than NH but more likely to be having an affair with Trump if he is having an affair.  He has have great access to HH for many years.   It’s hard to imagine that Trump wouldn’t have tried. When I first saw pictures of HH, I immediately thought she was his type although not blonde.  when I first saw her I was pleased to hear how competent she was at her job because I thought that most people would assume that she had her job because of her appearance and how Trump would like to just look at her and have her around.   Most of the things in Wolff’s book had been reported in different places and sort of “known” through multiple sources so I’d be surprised if his allegation that Trump is having an affair in the White House is not true. Melania probably would be  surprised if it’s not true. IMHO, Melania’s behavior would suggest that it is true that he is disrespecting her openly.  What was he doing for sex when she hadn’t moved to the WH?  Given their body language I can hardly imagine they’re having much sex now that she’s moved in.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, lexytheblasian said:

Mike Huckabee is a sick individual. He hates that people attack and mock his daughter on SNL, yet has the gall to attack a Supreme Court Justice. A sleeping Ruth Bader Ginsberg can still run intellectual circles around an awake Mike Huckabee, guaranteed. 

Mike Huckabee's daughter is fair game.  She is in the public eye

• Love 17
32 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I'm glad Meghan was out today. I would hope she'd be sympathetic to Rose but I could imagine her challenging Rose about accepting a settlement. In a snotty valley girl voice of course. 

Same here.  A Megan free day is a good day.

Sunny was really good with Rose.  She was empathetic, warm, smart, engaging and comforting.  We got a glimpse on how Sunny, as a prosecutor, dealt with victims of sexual assaults. 

Rose's pain is still raw and it was very hard to watch. Like she said, we have to deal with the ugly truth, in order to move forward.  I like the fact that she called her rapist, the monster..

I loved Whoopie's encouraging words to Rose about being the first to take the hits, for others, like her and thanking her, for her bravery.. 

The ladies were really good and let Rose just share her story...

I remember Rose's career was starting to take off and then she disappeared, now, it all makes sense.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 18

Oh goodie, MM is gone today you say. Well yesterday, she as usual, had me shouting at the t.v. screen, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, she kept literally glaring at our darling Ana while Ana was speaking. She was looking at her with pure hate, God what a nasty twit. Hey, guess what MM, nobody likes you, everybody hates you, go eat worms. ? Snort. 

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Mike Huckabee's daughter is fair game.  She is in the public eye

Yes, she is. But as Whoopi said,  women are never going to get anywhere, calling one another names, non stop. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

What a great show today. The only way it would have been better is if Sara had also been there, but I'm sure she's exhausted right now with a new baby. I thought the Rose McGowan interview was one of their best ,personally.

When Rose teared up about her sister, that really got to me.  Like she said when you are raped, you are never really the same. Something in you, changes forever.. A part of you dies..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 14