Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/29/18

buffynut
  • Start Topic

MON JAN 29:  SEASON 21, EPISODE 92 • NEW  Ana Navarro guest hosts; Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.); hot items at affordable prices.

TUE JAN 30:  SEASON 21, EPISODE 93 • NEW    Ana Navarro guest hosts; actress Rose McGowan.

WED JAN 31:  SEASON 21, EPISODE 94 • NEW   Actress Katie Lowes.

THU FEB 1:      SEASON 21, EPISODE 95 • NEW   Amber Tamblyn guest hosts; Day of Hot Topics.

FRI FEB 2:        SEASON 21, EPISODE 96 • NEW   The Political View with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.)

• Love 2

Not a bad line up this week. I’m certainly not a fan of Rand Paul but I’ll be interested in hearing what he has to say. Looking forward to Ana twice!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, bannana said:

Ana's back!  Can't wait to see the tension at the table after the last time she was there.

Ana is too much of a professional and an adult to act like an immature child. She doesn’t strike me as someone who would stoop to that level. Plus, she handled what happened last week with maturity, calm and professionalism.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ana is too much of a professional and an adult to act like an immature child. She doesn’t strike me as someone who would stoop to that level. Plus, she handled what happened last week with maturity, calm and professionalism.

Yes, someone is a professional, and someone is not.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Plus she likes her other gig, she needs to remain neutral. Well, nearly neutral.

One would think that instead of attacking the other Republican at the table (see last joint appearance), Meghan would welcome Ana and try to find common ground. I'm sick our talk show hosts, the entire electorate and most of the elected officials being defensive and in attack mode. Look for the commonalities, folks! I can hope - wouldn't it be amazing to see them come up with some common talking points?

I love Ana, even if I do disagree with her on many political points.

• Love 4

I feel bad for Meghan and Joy. They should both be home in bed. You can tell just by looking at them that they don't feel well, even before they open their mouths. Whoopi's out with the flu, too. Poor Ana and Sunny. They ought to be in Hazmat suits. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, jalady said:

The vocal fry PLUS the stuffy nose makes listening to her - even more - painful than usual.

I really had a hard time understanding what she was saying!

I gave it up after the 2nd commercial break.  Her feminist philosophy - gah.

2 minutes ago, General Days said:

They should both be home in bed.

Joy kept coughing into her hand - hope she doesn't shake hands with anyone.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 2

I get having a cough, but Joy, that's damn irritating, put Sunny there... I don't watch the Grammy's, and I loved award shows at one time. I'm tired of hearing all that they stand for, and what they don't. Both Ana and MM stood up for Nikki Haley, good! This creepy author, his guessing or insinuating she slept her way to the top, is downright mean.Things like this destroy marriages and relationship. Fire and Fury is, or was a flash in the pan, so let's drag it up on the Grammy's.

Ugh! Me too!

6 minutes ago, General Days said:

I feel bad for Meghan and Joy. They should both be home in bed. You can tell just by looking at them that they don't feel well, even before they open their mouths. Whoopi's out with the flu, too. Poor Ana and Sunny. They ought to be in Hazmat suits. 

I bet Whoopi is really sick, nothing seems to keep her down.

From the Haley/Trump/Michael Wolff affair allegations. I feel like today's panel sort of contracted things, but maybe I missed something instead.

My real world understanding:

1. On Real Time with Bill Maher, Wolff implied that Trump has been having an affair, even while occupying the Oval Office.
  2. Some people have speculated that the affair is with Haley (which seems ridiculous to me).

Today, someone (Meghan maybe, but I wasn't paying close attention) made it sound like Wolff said/implied Trump's affair was with Haley. How did we get here from there? Did he do that, or did the show just sort of conflate Wolff's affair implications with the broader rumor about Haley?

• Love 8
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I came across this quote and had an epiphany about Meagan and Ana.

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

― Maya Angelou

Meagan argues in a way that makes others feel small. Ana elevates them, even when she is disagreeing with them.

I am learning a lot of how to be a better friend, co-worker, and daughter from this show.

• Love 24
5 minutes ago, General Days said:

From the Haley/Trump/Michael Wolff affair allegations. I feel like today's panel sort of contracted things, but maybe I missed something instead.

1. On Real Time with Bill Maher, Wolff implied that Trump has been having an affair, even while occupying the Oval Office.
  2. Some people have speculated that the affair is with Haley (which seems ridiculous to me).

Today, someone (Meghan maybe, but I wasn't paying close attention) made it sound like Wolff said/implied Trump's affair was with Haley. How did we get here from there? Did he do that, or did the show just sort of conflate Wolff's affair implications with the broader rumor about Haley?

Bill Maher just guessed, and Wolffy didn't say no.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, General Days said:

Wolff never outright admitted or said who the affair was with: both on Real Time and The Daily Show, he said "read between the lines." It's the peanut gallery, here and elsewhere, that threw out Haley's name. And if Meghan also put it out there on today's show, then she really is a raging hypocrite. Because as another posted in her thread, she tweeted how Wolff shouldn't even be taken seriously and just dismissed (or something like that); yet here she is, believing this portion of the book and floating who she thinks it is. Unless I misunderstood your question/comment above?

2 minutes ago, Catnip said:

Is it my imagination or is there noticable tension between Ana and MM?

There was tension last week, when Meghan accused her of not being a "real Republican."

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, General Days said:

Wolff said people should read between the lines in his book. 

People have found hints that the woman could be Nikki Haley. Others believe it could be Hope Hicks. On The View, they've only, to my knowledge, discussed the first possibility.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Joy is always coughing during the show. It drives me crazy. 

23 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I did not like how Megan questioned the senator, Kirsten Gillebrand.  Megan is not a good fit on this show.   I am astounded that the show thought that she would bring something of substance to the show. 

Here we go again with the false equivalence-- Trump's disgusting behavior vs Hillary covering for a staffer. Yes, that was wrong but once again Meghan needs to be reminded that Hillary is not president!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

Bill Maher just guessed, and Wolffy didn't say no.

Okay, I saw that on Friday night. Thank you. I both think Wolff's book is probably mostly true and that Wolff is a sleaze. I can understand why he wouldn't rule anyone out, because that could thin the pool of  possible "suspects," as it were, but I never took it seriously that it could be Haley. 

36 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wolff never outright admitted or said who the affair was with: both on Real Time and The Daily Show, he said "read between the lines." It's the peanut gallery, here and elsewhere, that threw out Haley's name. And if Meghan also put it out there on today's show, then she really is a raging hypocrite. Because as another posted in her thread, she tweeted how Wolff shouldn't even be taken seriously and just dismissed (or something like that); yet here she is, believing this portion of the book and floating who she thinks it is. Unless I misunderstood your question/comment above?

There was tension last week, when Meghan accused her of not being a "real Republican."

To be fair to Meghan -- and you know this pains me -- the topic came up, because the panel discussed Haley's tweet about the Fire and Fury segment during the Grammy awards (host James Corden had a bunch of celebrities read excerpts from the book as the "audition" to do the audio-book. Hillary Clinton was the last to audition and "got" the job). Haley later tweeted this:

You know, because music is never political. 

ANYHOW, that's how Meghan came to bring up Haley and the affair allegations on today's episode of The View.

28 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I did not like how Megan questioned the senator, Kirsten Gillebrand.  Megan is not a good fit on this show.   I am astounded that the show thought that she would bring something of substance to the show. 

What I thought was weird about that is that Meghan was clearly reading her question off of a teleprompter. I don't know if I've noticed her doing so, at least not that blatantly . She never even looked at the Senator. Then it made me wonder where she was getting her questions from and why the production would let her do that.

Mind you, McCain wasn't introducing Gillebrand. She was asking one of the last questions of the segment, or at least a question well into it. She's so unprofessional, she can't even have a conversation and come up with an organic question. 

13 minutes ago, backformore said:

Wolff said people should read between the lines in his book. 

People have found hints that the woman could be Nikki Haley. Others believe it could be Hope Hicks. On The View, they've only, to my knowledge, discussed the first possibility.

I think both women's names came up on today's show. I hate Trump, but I really don't want to see all these women dragged over him. It's not like we don't know he's a pig. Those of us who didn't support him were already convinced. Those who did support him seem not to care and/or don't prioritize it. 

I'm pissed off. My local station cut out during Joy's questions to Gillebrand, to show the Patriots getting on the plane to go to the Super Bowl. This wasn't for live interviews, either. It was for a wide shot of them climbing the stairway to the plane.  I heard Joy note that she had a bone to pick about Franken, but the interruption came somewhat soon thereafter. That was probably the one thing I was interested in, today. 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 11

I laughed when Joy asked about Franken and the camera showed Meghan's face and she looked pissed. Don't you know that concerned one of Meghan's BFFs, Joy??? And, of course, straight to Hillary, what else is new. I'm glad Gillibrand didn't take her bait.

A shame they didn't get to cover Hot Topics more because of Gillibrand. She was a decent interview, but I'd rather we had been able to hear more out of Ana today while Whoopi is away.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, General Days said:

I'm pissed off. My local station cut out during Joy's questions to Gillebrand, to show the Patriots getting on the plane to go to the Super Bowl. This wasn't for live interviews, either. It was for a wide shot of them climbing the stairway to the plane.  I heard Joy note that she had a bone to pick about Franken, but the interruption came somewhat soon thereafter. That was probably the one thing I was interested in, today. 

Joy aired her grievances over Franken with the senator without being bitchy.  The senator remained steadfast in her beliefs and they disagreed, without, being disagreeable with one another. Something that Megan is incapable of doing, given how, she attacked Ana, last week and got her ass handed to her..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 22

What I thought was weird about that is that Meghan was clearly reading her question off of a teleprompter. 

She was, and Joy had some stupid pieces of paper/notes..clearly they are both sick, and shouldn't be there..jmho Joys ha that cough for sometime now( taking cough drops out of her mouth and has passed it along..I bet Ana is pleased..LOL

1 minute ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I laughed when Joy asked about Franken and the camera showed Meghan's face and she looked pissed. Don't you know that concerned one of Meghan's BFFs, Joy??? And, of course, straight to Hillary, what else is new. I'm glad Gillibrand didn't take her bait.

A shame they didn't get to cover Hot Topics more because of Gillibrand. She was a decent interview, but I'd rather we had been able to hear more out of Ana today while Whoopi is away.

Joy was so miffed with Gillibrand about Al Franken, he groped women, he's no better than anyone else JOY!

16 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Joy is always coughing during the show. It drives me crazy. 

Here we go again with the false equivalence-- Trump's disgusting behavior vs Hillary covering for a staffer. Yes, that was wrong but once again Meghan needs to be reminded that Hillary is not president!

Both are wrong, but how funny Hillarys cover up , just came up??tsk tsk..

Edited by NeverLate
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Let's see if MM (poor wee precious) can put on her big girl panties & act her age!!!

That would be no.  She just had to turn to the audience and mention that she  knew no one would agree with her.  The audience is not part of the show, Meghan.  Don't insult them you miserable twat.  

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Joy aired her grievances over Franken with the senator without being bitchy.  The senator remained steadfast in her beliefs and they disagreed, without, being disagreeable with one another.

Yes, compare that to Meghan asking Gillibrand in a mocking, hateful voice about her "hero and inspiration" Hillary, the difference between Joy and Meghan is crystal. Not quite on the level of her rudeness to Durbin, but pretty close.

• Love 16

Joy aired her grievances over Franken with the senator without being bitchy.

Today, other days she hasn't..too bad, so sad..Al Franken , thumbs down

1 minute ago, backformore said:

So Meghan isn't a feminist because of her stance on abortion? Oh please!  It's easy for someone whose family has $$ to dismiss the need for economic equality for women.

Im not a feminist,  and I believe in abortion..

• Love 1
Just now, backformore said:

So Meghan isn't a feminist because of her stance on abortion? Oh please!  It's easy for someone whose family has $$ to dismiss the need for economic equality for women.

Wasn't she part of a campaign for reproductive rights along with her mother, a few years ago. I remember she got a lot of pushback for her stance. I find her inconsistent and inauthentic in her beliefs.  At this point, I don't care to know. I just want her to go back in obscurity in Arizona and get off my screen..

• Love 17
1 minute ago, backformore said:

Feminism means the belief that men and women should have equal access to education, jobs, salaries, housing, etc. 

When I was in my 20s this was not the case. It was accepted, for example, that a woman with a college degree would be hired as a secretary to a man with the exact same qualifications. And the woman would get half the salary. It was defended as ok because the woman would quit once she got married/pregnant.  I can't understand anyone like Meghan saying she is not a feminist. To me, not being feminist means being against equal rights for women.

Oh yes.  My mother wanted me to go to Endicott Jr College and then to Katy Gibbs secretarial school in NYC where you wore white gloves to school!!  I ignored her advice.  

• Love 6

Feminism means the belief that men and women should have equal access to education, jobs, salaries, housing, etc. 

When I was in my 20s this was not the case. It was accepted, for example, that a woman with a college degree would be hired as a secretary to a man with the exact same qualifications. And the woman would get half the salary. It was defended as ok because the woman would quit once she got married/pregnant.  I can't understand anyone like Meghan saying she is not a feminist. To me, not being feminist means being against equal rights for women.

THIS!

People who are upset about the innuendo about Nikki Haley should be just as offended by the ugly suggestion Trump made about Sen Gillibrand.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, backformore said:

When I was in my 20s this was not the case. It was accepted, for example, that a woman with a college degree would be hired as a secretary to a man with the exact same qualifications. And the woman would get half the salary. It was defended as ok because the woman would quit once she got married/pregnant.  Married women could not buy a car, or get a credit card without their husbands signature. College professors could discriminate against women with no repercussions.

I can't understand anyone like Meghan saying she is not a feminist. To me, not being feminist means being against equal rights for women.

Okay, then I am a feminist. I didnt know Gillebrand.was the woman Trump tweeted about, that was terrible! awful awful awful

2 minutes ago, Wings said:

Oh yes.  My mother wanted me to go to Endicott Jr College and then to Katy Gibbs secretarial school in NYC where you wore white gloves to school!!  I ignored her advice.  

Mine as well! You must go to secretarial school,!!(  later I did regret it a little ) ONLY because all the high paying jobs back then were secretarial 

5 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought Sunny was the best in the feminist discussion because she pointed out how this inability for people to own the word "feminist" while claiming to care about equality for women is the same as people who respond to BLM with All Lives Matter as if the point was ever about ONLY black people in the first place. Basically her point being that politicians (like Trump) and political mouthpieces often make this implication that feminists somehow don't care about men and BLM protestors don't care about anyone who isn't black, which is a lie.

Yes the word feminist has been made to have a negative connotation.  

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Joy was voicing what a lot of people feel and Kirsten Gillebrand was the target of a lot hate and vitriol for her stance against Franken. The base was not very happy with her.  I am not minimizing the accusations against him, but, we have to be careful in not putting everybody in the same boat.  There has to be a spectrum.. I do think that Kirsten was also doing a bit of damage control today, she did say that she is up for re-election this year..

Thank You, now I understand..I thought this was the woman that was running for President, but after Joy asked, she said no..

I didnt know anything about the dreamers ,  listening to these women, of course they should stay..

1 minute ago, rcc said:

Sunny and Ana should have Purel nearby.

Well, if that flu is as rampant as it is here, yes! They did say( sunny I believe) we have Purel) but one cough, sneeze and boom!  Poor Whoopi, I hope she feels better soon..

Am I the only one who finds the prices on the "View Your Deal"  to be really high, and then discounted to 50% off to be about what you'd pay in a store?   those pants, for example - $118, but discounted to $59? I think I could buy comparable knit pants elsewhere.  In fact, I recently bought some from J Jill on sale for less than $59.  And makeup bags for $18, marked down to $9?  who pays that much? Sunny swooning over makeup brushes was a bit much, IMHO.

Anyway, I thought it was funny when they announced what the audience was getting for free today - basically, a makeup bag or charger holder, a makeup brush, and a COPY OF O MAGAZINE!   (audience cheers)  really?  

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, backformore said:

Am I the only one who finds the prices on the "View Your Deal"  to be really high, and then discounted to 50% off to be about what you'd pay in a store?   those pants, for example - $118, but discounted to $59? I think I could buy comparable knit pants elsewhere.  In fact, I recently bought some from J Jill on sale for less than $59.  And makeup bags for $18, marked down to $9?  who pays that much? Sunny swooning over makeup brushes was a bit much, IMHO.

Anyway, I thought it was funny when they announced what the audience was getting for free today - basically, a makeup bag or charger holder, a makeup brush, and a COPY OF O MAGAZINE!   (audience cheers)  really?  

Sara is the best host to handle those segments.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Looks like Monday and Tuesday are essential viewing, AN is there of course, and I wouldn't mind hearing from Senator Gillibrand.  Rose McGowan should be very interesting.

Is the interview with MCGowan recorded?, I thought I saw Whoopi..

The applause light flashed on!! and stayed on..

• Love 3