Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

8 minutes ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I was happy to see the Hungarian, whose AC/DC music choice pleased many of us, qualified for the long program.

Curious, I looked up her music for her long program. Oh dear:

Reveal hidden contents

Carmen.

*Headdesk*

Zagitova's coach...she's naturally dead-eyed all the time or she hates Zagitova? WTF? She doesn't want Alina to have the world record? Great, now that makes me feel bad for Alina. LET ME KEEP MY HATE FOR NOTRUSSIAN SKATERS, PEOPLE. 

• Love 4

Regarding the race for bronze (which is what it'll be, unless Medvedeva and Zagitova singularly or both flame out in an attempt to outdo each other), the current rankings plus personal bests in the free skate:

1.  Osmond = 78.87 (personal FS best of 142.34, reached last year)

2.  Miyahara = 75.94 (personal FS best of 143.69, reached last year)

3.  Sakamoto = 73.18 (personal FS best of 142.87, reached earlier this year)

4.  Kostner = 73.15 (personal FS best of 142.61, reached in 2014; best this season is 141.83)

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Zagitova's coach...she's naturally dead-eyed all the time or she hates Zagitova? WTF? She doesn't want Alina to have the world record? Great, now that makes me feel bad for Alina. LET ME KEEP MY HATE FOR NOTRUSSIAN SKATERS, PEOPLE. 

To answer, read this: (click to be directed to the full thread)

Edited by fan94
54 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

Eh, I don’t miss Sasha Cohen at all. Always much preferred Kwan. Anybody know what ol’ Vagina Hinge is up to these days?

Saw a Liz Manley shoutout upthread. She and Paul Wyle needed to get married and have a bunch happy surprise silver medalist babies. Two of my favorites!

She just got divorced after one year of marriage. She’s in Korea right now.

http://people.com/sports/newly-single-olympic-skater-sasha-cohen-finds-new-purpose-in-helping-kids-and-a-career-in-finance/

Edited by HartofDixie
  • Love 1

Oddly I wasn't into this event as much as I thought I was going to be. I was very into the pairs skating, and the men's, and the ice dancing was beautiful to watch. But here I really don't care who wins. And I can't really explain why that is. 

• Love 8

Did Jonny Weir say that the Russians have 15 or 16 women skaters that could be medal contenders?  If I’m mistaken and he actually said 5 or 6, arguably right.

But If I heard right, shut the fuck up, Johnny.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

I guess it's easier if there's really no true physical connection there but when I (and MANY would agree), see them dance, you certainly wouldn't deny there is a lot of chemistry there.

I would deny it.  They force it way too much for it to be believable to me.

9 hours ago, SeanC said:

That was a technically fine performance, but not much connection to the material.  Compare that to what Patrick Chan did as far as evoking the emotions of the song.

Yeah, I'd say he evoked the emotion of that song about as well as she did.

Zag has this gold on lockdown.  I don't think any Russians should be competing in any disciplines in this (or any future) Olympics, but since they're here, I absolutely think Zagitova is the most impressive woman competing. Her program was great (her backloading doesn't bother me as much as Medvedeva's because she's actually doing stuff in that time), and she has MUCH better technique than Medvedeva (and really should've outscored Med on PCS as well); her tanos are also easily the best of any woman performing tanos. Frankly, none of the other women can really compare to her technically; if she skates cleanly in the free, she will be unbeatable.  I don't have a horse in this race since Mirai had no chance of medaling even if she had landed the triple axel in her short, so get that gold, Alina!

Medvedeva should honestly be fourth behind Osmond and Miyahara.  Her technique is seriously abysmal; I mean, look at the way she labors into her jumps versus Zag or Osmond (flutz aside) – it's like night and day.  I mean, Tara thought Med got away with a flutz when she was actually doing a flip in her combination to begin with; if it doesn't exemplify her poor technique that Tara can't even tell what jump she was trying do, I don't know what does.  She has also been taking performance lessons from that Russian ice-dancing pair, which is not a compliment.  She seems like a sweet young woman (and I love an anime geek!), but she epitomizes Skating While Russian this Olympics.

I loved Osmond's and Miyahara's programs, and they should be in second and third.  I also loved Tara's vehemently disagreeing with Johnny over Miyahara's skate.

It's too bad our three ladies all fell on their first jumps, but none had a shot at medaling anyway.  I hope they all skate great frees.  (Land that triple axel like the boss you are, Mirai!!)

I think there's a Skating While Canadian bonus also because Osmond was not called on her obvious flutz (loved her skate, though), and Daleman's outscoring Choi with that lackluster skate is ludicrous.

Also, all the fucking "Carmen"...

tenor.gif?itemid=4581316

*sigh

Edited by NUguy514
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

Wow. I had no idea she’d divorced. I’m sorry to hear that. I wonder what the heck happened after just a year? She had a beautiful wedding and they seemed happy and in love. Oh well.

I really like her thought about the criminal justice system and investing in at risk youth. I wish her success with her career aspirations etc.,

6 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Start aggressively deducting for routines like those two horrible Carmen programs. Just awful. I never want to hear it again.

6 hours ago, Minneapple said:

I know who I'm rooting for tomorrow: Anyone who DOESN'T use Carmen.

6 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

To add insult to injury it wasn't even good Carmen.

6 hours ago, leopardprint said:

He should just getone jacket and then stick different flags on it like in NASCAR. 

Can Choi get a homer gold medal to make up for Yuna’s in Sochi? 

6 hours ago, sab85 said:

Motion to ban Carmen, Swan Lake, and Moulin Rouge. Find something else you guys!

5 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

And Hallelujah.

5 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Andrea will not break these U.S. ladies although she's going to keep trying. 

5 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Leave Mirai alone, Andrea.

5 hours ago, Mumbles said:

The vocal to Daleman’s Carmen was soooo corny and lounge-lizardy. She’d be better off with a pure instrumental.

Poor Mirai. When talking to Andrea Joyce she sounds like she’s given up. Yeah it would take a great skate and a lot of mistakes by others, but jeez, kiddo, just wait until it’s over to say it’s over.

5 hours ago, Bama said:

Don't put that into the universe lol!!

5 hours ago, sab85 said:

Andrea is lucky no one has pushed her on to the ice. Or into a pool. How is she still so bad at this?

5 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Mirai didn’t overrotate a triple axel, she fell going for a quad, ok? She’s onto the next thing, Andrea.

4 hours ago, gatopretoNYC said:

I was happy to see the Hungarian, whose AC/DC music choice pleased many of us, qualified for the long program.

Curious, I looked up her music for her long program. Oh dear:

Hide contents

Carmen.

Guys, after a short program that I have been waiting four years to see, being cut off by news and there is nothing I could do about it, I am going to go fetal position in the corner and rock back and forth.  For some reason the music in my head is Carmen.

I am sure Andrea will come by to do a interview and tell me what a failure I am, just to rub salt in the wounds.

Can the people who understand the math tell me if any of the American ladies have a chance to podium on Thursday?  I am still hoping for Mirai or Karen....

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Can the people who understand the math tell me if any of the American ladies have a chance to podium on Thursday?  I am still hoping for Mirai or Karen....

Very simply, no, they don't.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Very simply, no, they don't.

Thank you for the quick response.  Good luck to all the other ladies that still have a shot.  I still think the Americans will do us proud on Thursday, even with no medals.  I imagine now that the pressure is off, the can be like Rippon and just skate for the love of skating.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, GeminiDancer said:

Loving the Kazakh's skater's costuming! Everything about it. Too bad the music doesn't go with it.

I want this costume. I want the headpiece.

Her entire look was stunning,.

8 hours ago, sweeks said:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw her, and then Johnny told Terry that he needs the headpiece. How much do you want to bet that he will be wearing it the next time we see him?

I hope that she lets him wear that headpiece on Thursday.

• Love 3

Sakamoto's SP skate was lovely.

You can definitely see the difference in how the levels of performance have risen with these last two groups of competitors.

Nagasu was also lovely and at least she tried to accomplish the jump. Andrea is just going to annoy me when she gets her 30 seconds to try and cut into Nagasu.

• Love 1

Nagusu did fine...she didn't lose points by trying the jump versus only doing a double axel.  She kept the rest of the program going, she should be proud.

I can't wait for the Olympics to be over.  I am so tired of the late night eastern coverage, and having to miss much of the best stuff--between being really late most nights,  and changing channels for their coverage, etc, this is probably one of the worst Olys for me to get to watch.  I have enjoyed some of what I can see at a decent time in the evening, but other than that, I just feel like I miss everything that I want to see.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Did Jonny Weir say that the Russians have 15 or 16 women skaters that could be medal contenders?  If I’m mistaken and he actually said 5 or 6, arguably right.

But If I heard right, shut the fuck up, Johnny.

He sure did. That's how super special the Olympic Cheaters from Russia are. 

After seeing the reaction of her coach I'm pulling hard for Zagitova to win. What a bitch, you should be paying attention to the one next to you not your Chosen One. Brian Orser does it right. 

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, alexa said:

I can't wait for the Olympics to be over.  I am so tired of the late night eastern coverage, and having to miss much of the best stuff--between being really late most nights,  and changing channels for their coverage, etc, this is probably one of the worst Olys for me to get to watch.  I have enjoyed some of what I can see at a decent time in the evening, but other than that, I just feel like I miss everything that I want to see.  

I could not agree more. The channel flipping has driven me crazy in particular. It's way too much to DVR, so I just leave it on one channel - but then I missed Jin Boyang's free because they flipped to NBC. I think I actually preferred the programs running in full on NBCSN during the day in Sochi, with edited recaps in the evening that I could watch the better parts again if I wanted to. But I missed seeing the final group last night because it was so late. (Did manage to see a bunch of subpar skaters in the earlier hours, though, so there's....that.)

And I agree with those who lack interest in the ladies. I loved watching teams, pairs, men's, and dance, but I have little to no interest here. Which is amazing, because NBC always has the assumption that ladies are what most people want to see. They're just sort of boring to me, for some reason.

• Love 13

It is also boring because there is no continuity in performers. People might remember the Russian girl in the red dress from the last Olympics but will have no clue about the actual winner's name since she never skated again. And for those of us who were investing emotion in Elisaveta Tuktumysheva, well, she is dead to Russia. Bring on the next! The men, pairs, and dancers have some staying power and that is appealing to a 4 year audience. 

• Love 6

I could not agree more. The channel flipping has driven me crazy in particular. It's way too much to DVR, so I just leave it on one channel - but then I missed Jin Boyang's free because they flipped to NBC. I think I actually preferred the programs running in full on NBCSN during the day in Sochi, with edited recaps in the evening that I could watch the better parts again if I wanted to. But I missed seeing the final group last night because it was so late. (Did manage to see a bunch of subpar skaters in the earlier hours, though, so there's....that.)

Last night I switched from NBCSN to NBC at the exact moment it switched Figure Skating coverage without realizing it, which means NBC has broken me and I don't like it. I do miss the Sochi coverage when skating aired live in the early afternoon when everyone was supposed to be at work. I think it even lined up with an East Coast snow storm, because I know I worked from home most of that week and watched ALL the skating. This time around they already have these skaters starting at 10AM to start with East Coast prime time, I'm not sure they could move it any earlier without the first group waking up in the middle of the night to start warm ups.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, AAEBoiler said:

Didn't they enact a "law" in Olympics gymnastics that the entrants had to be 16? Does that not apply to skating - there are a few 15 year olds, in particular Zagitova?

For senior-level entrants in skating, they must be 15 by a certain date. I think it’s like they have to be 15 by July 1 or something  in order to be age eligible to compete at the senior level in the upcoming season. So Alina must have turned 15 sometime around or before that cut-off date in 2017.

• Love 1

Mao Asada missed the cutoff for the 2006 Olympics by a few months. I’ve always wondered what might have been if she had been there!

In gymnastics they have to be 16 by the end of year year, so there are still some 15 year olds competing at the Olympics.

• Love 1

It is also boring because there is no continuity in performers. People might remember the Russian girl in the red dress from the last Olympics but will have no clue about the actual winner's name since she never skated again. And for those of us who were investing emotion in Elisaveta Tuktumysheva, well, she is dead to Russia. Bring on the next! The men, pairs, and dancers have some staying power and that is appealing to a 4 year audience.

I feel like this is true for Russian skaters, but most of the big names in ladies figure skating seem to hang around for at least 2 Olympics. The US, in particular, just hasn't been able to produce consistent stars in the last decade to produce memorable stars. Mirai had potential in 2010, but couldn't maintain it, Ashley Wagner is really polarizing, and Gracie Gold needed time away from the skating world. I think the ladies lineup this round is really underwhelming because most of the ladies stars like Yuna Kim and Mao Asada have retired, and there haven't been any big names to replace them except for the Russian skaters who we'll probably never see or hear from again after this week.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, alexa said:

Count me in.  I'm following ladies via everyone's comments here.  Re: men's--I watched only the final group (got to see 6 quad Chen).  I may tune in for the final group tomorrow nightBut singles skating has become so boring to me--especially those Russian women backloading. That has got to be stopped after World's. There seems to be very little thought to choreography these days other than to get a skater from one jump to the next.  Gone are the beautiful moves like falling leaf, Ina Bauer, change edge spiral.  Instead for choreo we get the frickin' Biellman spin.  I was excited when I saw how much skating I'd get to see this Olympics, but...meh.  One highlight has been Tanith.  She's been so professional and when she's on, it's not about her (like two other people we know). It's all about skating.  Some folks were complaining about hearing the word twizzle over and over the other night.  Well, that's a major part of the ice dancing program and counts big time toward a score so of course she's going to be talking about it a lot. But I feel a bit worn out now and if I can avoid seeing whatever will be sitting on Johnny's noggin the next few nights, I'm sure going to make an effort to spare myself that sight.

• Love 15

I want Mirai to finish in the top 10.  As far as I am concerned, Mirai is awesome and I don’t feel like she needs to prove anything.  She pulled out the triple axel already in one of the biggest competitions on the planet.  If she does it again, hurrah, but if not,  I’m still super proud of her. 

I cannot wait for them to change the rules so that. Skaters can’t backload their programs.  

• Love 19
2 hours ago, alexa said:

It isn't easy when they are in Eastern Asia countries which means Tokyo and Beijing will be more of the same.  I managed to watch most of the skating so far, but last night my body needed a break and went to bed midway through the second flight so I missed most of it.  I normally love watching the biatholon and cross country events.  I managed to see ZERO of it this time. I only saw a bit of the short track because finals air when I'm getting ready for work. 

I'll try to watch the free program as I want Canada to medal and Osmond has a great shot.  But with the Russian back loading their programs, I'm gonna need some triple axels from Mirai to make me more engaged. 

• Love 5

I only saw Bradie last night. I am just burnt out and needed to sleep after staying up so late to watch all the other figure skating. And sadly the ladies in general just don't excite me like the others this year. I'll probably stay up tonight though since it's the last event.

Does anyone know if the exhibition or gala or whatever it's called will be airing anywhere and if so when?

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4

After watching the fluff piece on Medvedeva, I want her to get a new choreographer and do something fun.  Let Zagitova be the baby ballerina and “skate while Russian” with the typical choreography.  I don’t love Osmond’s Piaf but you can tell it’s something she loves.  I enjoyed the Australian and Hungarian ladies because their personality was able to shine.  

I really think Medvedeva has something more to give and with her technical scores it could be amazing. 

#Free Evgenia

• Love 11

Damn it, that was depressing. I'm so bummed for Mirai. I hope she nails everything in the long. I know she won't win an individual medal, but at least she'll leave feeling good and will hopefully have a great showing at worlds.

I enjoyed Alina's program even with the arm flailing. I hope she beats Evgenia. Eteri can't hide her favoritism, can she? Wow. Go, Alina! Make it happen.

Now that Mirai is out of medal contention, my hope is that Kaetlyn wins the bronze. Second choice is Satoko, third Gabrielle. 

I feel sorry for Maria. I can't help but worry that she'll be in for a river of unpleasantness once she gets home.

Meanwhile, my cynical side thinks that Ashley is privately smirking in satisfaction. 

• Love 4

I think the issue with the ladiezzz is that unlike the mens', pairs', and ice dance fields, the technical envelope is not being pushed. The triple axel is still so rare and the one girl in the field who can do it lands it once in a blue moon. The hardest combo (triple lutz/triple toe loop) was something Kristi Yamaguchi was doing in 1992. So what you get is a lot of skaters with almost identical programs content-wise but figuring out ways to maximize the IJS. Therefore all the backloading and the identical spins. Whereas for the pairs, mens, and ice dance you might not like the top skaters, or enjoy the quad-fest of the mens', but at least I feel the sport of growing and evolving.

The match-up also doesn't have the excitement of 2010 when Yuna Kim and Mao Asada had one of the most exciting rivalries in all of sports. 

• Love 15

Jesus Christ. If you were playing the Olympic Ladies Event Drinking Game, and having to take a shot every time Terry, Tara and Johnny enunciate “Medvedeva,” (especially Johnny), you’d be dead of alcohol poisoning right now.  Was there a freaking quota that they had to hit?  

Not to mention having to drink every time you heard Carmen, or when a US lady fell on her doopa.  Dead drunk. All of us. 

Eteri...ugh. The stories of her verbal abuse and the eating disorders among her skaters. The look on her face when the teeny bopper that SHE created, outscored her Precious, was hysterical. The woman has zero chill.  Honey,  maybe you should have kept a 15 year old in juniors if you wanted to gift wrap the OGM for Medvedeva. 

And this from Twitter last night? 

image.thumb.png.6e6adb9296a7b69b9ee0a044c4296038.png

At least Adam wouldn’t be getting that little thrill up his pant leg when ever he gets to pronounce a Russian name.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So why are  the Russian women skaters "dead" after one Olympics? (Mentioned here several times.). Eating disorders?  Bodies wrecked?  Fresh skaters available?  

All of the above? Some tiny little girl just hit two quads at Cup of Russia.  The Skating Lesson twitter account posted the video of it. Is this good for their bodies? Are they manipulating hormones to hold off puberty? They are pushing jumps on little girls with no curves because they are more aerodynamic. Once the hips and boobs kick in, they can't do the jumps as easily.  

Is 15 the age limit for participating in the Olympics? Perhaps that should be raised to at least 16.  Not that it would stop countries from manipulating birth certificates (cough, cough, Chinese Women's Gymnastic team in Beijing). But I'd like to see the "Lady" put back into Ladies Figure Skating. This trend is too much like Gymnastics. 

• Love 12

Kaetlyn pulls a Liz Manley  with the skate of her life!

CBC did a feature on Manley last night. She remains awesome, and youthful, but has had some bad facial work done.  

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So why are  the Russian women skaters "dead" after one Olympics? (Mentioned here several times.). Eating disorders?  Bodies wrecked?  Fresh skaters available?  

Eating disorders (Yulia Lipnitskaya said that when she was competing she was subsisting on "powdered juice" diet), wrecked bodies (all those level 4 spins means stretching their bodies in ways not healthy for girls that young), new juniors that become the New Shiny Thing and are sent to the Eteri-Botox-Machine (you could see this last night as Evgenia Medvedeva was already dumped for the new shiny thing Alina Zagitova), plus burnout and depression from so many years of not eating and not living. 

That video of Med's Sailor Moon made me on the Free Evgenia train. She looks like a rather hearty, healthy, fun-loving 18 year old forced to fit into the Russian baby ballerina skater mold. I'd like to see her go to a coach who can design programs that suit her better. Plus she survived an interview with Andrea Joyce without punching Andrea in the face. She gets brownie points just for that.

• Love 12

I was really disappointed to hear Johnny trashing the Japanese girl's performance (can't think of her name, but she was in the last flight). I thought she was great and her costume, music and choreography blended together beautifully. I guess it really is a matter of taste when it comes to this sport.

• Love 7

Here's an interview with Raf Arutyunian that gives some great behinds-the-scenes gossip about the Mens' competition and also explains why the coldness between Nathan Chen and Raf in the K&C after the SP:

EV: I was trying to find you right after the men competition, but was told you left home right after the event. You were that upset with Chen's skate?

RA: It's much easier. I had work waiting for me at home - many skaters. I earn money not by coaching Chen, but for the hours I spend on the ice. Hence I had to go back right when it was possible.

EV: How did you survive the games?

RA: I read your words that I was scary to look at after the SP. Guess it's true. It's a complicated feeling when you go out there knowing you'll lose. It was during that skate I started understanding what people who went to a battle knowing in advance they are doomed but must be there felt.

EV: Wait. You mean the skater who attempts 6 quads in his LP was unable to skate his SP?

RA: I once told you working in the USA the coach can advice what they should or should not do in a certain situation. God forbid if you insist too much in your recommendation or even being a bit aggressive - it is considered you might hurt your athlete mentally or make them unconfident.

EV: So do tell, what happened

RA: Nathan decided to do a 4lz and a 4f in his SP

EV: When did he notify you? 

RA: The day of the competition before morning practice. At 6am. The thing is that we only started getting into the shape before the competition, hence in the team event SP Chen was doing a 4F and a 4T, not the 4lz and 4T that we were doing at the first part of the season. I planned doing the same in the personal event. Told Nathan it would be a practice like skate. But it happened that he wanted to land a 4Lz and a 4F. And, as I suspected, was not ready.

You said you've never seen me in such a state. But I went into that state not during the skate but several hours before. I'm a coach and have to think in advance. That there will be mistakes and even if a miracle should happen and Nathan would land his jumps the skate will be stiff and bad looking - there is too much pressure. That feeling - nothing happened yet but you know it will and can't do a thing to prevent it - it's killing.

EV: Have you tried convincing him differently?

RA: How? Imagine, you are notified at 6am what is the decision. What is there to convince. Chen knew it would be hard. I assumed that perhaps it wasn't even his decision. Often during the Olympics there are behind the scenes forces, the influential and important people who tell what to do. It's not always the athlete is capable saying now. He has a family and he hears from every corner `that's it, dude, we are heading for the gold!' not understanding that the SP is not where you aim for any medal. You just show what was planned there. The plan was a flip and a toe. That's it!

EV: I can imagine a scenario: Chen managed just fine with the Lutz and the flip in the GPF in Japan, while a programme with a flip and a toe in the team event was a failure. He could have decided changing the jumps was a mistake?

RA: Right, so I can start telling you now Nathan injured his foot 3 weeks ago, that his left leg had not healed yet, that it hurt, and hurt quite badly and I knew about it. Hence he should had only done one Lutz. Because attempting two would be too risky. It was possible to re-injure the same leg. It's all not important and I don't like talking in vain. What's the point talking about what if and what it should had been had Chen listened to me? The fact is that at 6am he decided to go for a Lutz and a flip. And there is also an Axel to land, which is not his best in general. One can not have that many problematic jumps in one SP. Besides, the flip was supposed to come after two spins.

EV: What is a problem landing a flip after two spins?

RA: the problem is not the jump as such, but that the SP is too packed. The Lutz demands the most resources, if it was not landed well, and let me remind you, that one should had been a combo it's a lot of energy wasted. Then you go for two spins and then a flip, which, by the way, only two other skaters except for Chen attempt, so it's not so easy. And then the Axel, which you happen to fall on the practices from, and not just from time to time - it's your worse jump... of course I tried to the best of my ability to explain Nathan that Lutz and flip are not a great idea. I still don't know whose decision was it. If it was the family decision Nathan couldn't change a thing. He is only 18. Such a young guy.

EV: How sane was Chen when you were talking to him at 6am

RA: I haven't seen a single sane person at the Olympics. All the reactions - by everyone - the coaches and the athletes are over toe top. I saw people crying hysterically. I saw the crying parents who were taking their skaters to the ice, I saw the crying athletes. Hence repeating: there are no sane people at the Olympics. Even I was almost crying after Chen skated his LP. I held myself from crying near the border only because I knew Nathan was ready for that skate, that he can jump and I've seen that many times at the practices. But do land the 6 quads, or even attempt them at the Olympics is a heroic deed.

EV: How were you communicating with Nathan after the first skate? What happened and how didn't it ruin your relationship or created a conflict?

RA: the opposite. Of course I had a bad after taste. But after the SP I was there only with him. I think Nathan realized I forgave even though he didn't apologize. Before the LP he came to me and said there is nothing to lose hence he is going for 6 quads. I asked him `are you sure you want to? Then go ahead, I give you the green light'. The most surprising was him apologizing for his SP after the LP.

EV: Kudos to him

RA: Yes. I think it's a big thing. I told you that I let my athletes make their own mistakes. Of course the Olympics are the place where you'd rather avoid those mistakes, but not much you can do if they happened.

EV: Did it sink in you and your pupil made a historic break through in the men skating?

RA: It drowned in a feeling that I couldn't do things the way I wanted to. It should had been different. Guess it's god's decision.

EV: Let me rephrase you: had someone else's pupil come out there and landed 6 quads in the LP what you, as a coach, would say?

RA: It's hard for me to think about what if. As for Chen - I `saw' that skate with 6 jumps, I guess, 4 years ago and was playing it in my head. Hence now it's not some super achievement, but a logical summary of our work with Nathan. Besides, now I `see' a differently packed skate. A different SP and a different LP. And it all will come true in 4 years. If Chen allows me, of course.

EV: What do you mean?

RA: I mean that for now I stand beside and help Nathan in his journey. And I will keep doing that for as long as he wants to see me near the border. Should he change his mind - it's allright, there are other athletes. Am not only Chen's coach - am just a coach.

EV: What must happen so you'd tell Nathan you don't want to see him on your ice?

RA: Let me tell you a story. I once witnessed how Alexey Yagudin spoke not so nicely to Tatiana Tarasova. When I heard it... Alexandr Abt, who I was coaching at that time would never dare talking to me with the same voice, it was unheard of. I thought if I were in Tarasova's shoes I would walk out. And would never talk to that athlete again. Now I often think Tarasova knew exactly what she was doing. What to react on, how to behave and where to dismiss things. I didn't know at that time.

I now treat it differently. There is a 18.yo athlete who is, after all, just a kid, and there is me- an adult who helps that kid go through his life. And I will be helping him till he passes a point of no return. I can't really tell where that point is, but, guess, I will see and feel it. And will know if he passes it.

EV: Do you plan participating the Worlds with Chen?

RA: For now we are not planning anything. Chen is ill, he got a virus. It is so bad I even got a phone call from a doctor to start taking antivirus pills. Once he recovers we'll see what is next. For me the most important is for him to do what he wants, and what he is being told by the others.

EV: Who do you mean now?

RA: First of all his family. Chen announced before the Olympics he will be doing this season all that his family will decide. He told me that flat and square. Explained how much he owes his family for all they have done for him. Hence he decided to dedicate the Olympic season to his family and follow every wish of his beloved ones. We'll see next season whether he'll change his mind. Then we'll decide how to continue working.

EV: Was it a blow for you your pupil Ashley Wagner didn't make it to the Olympic team?

RA: She wasn't training so well, really.

EV: I.e. it was expected?

RA: Yes. Adam Rippon was training well - he went out there with 2 axels, made it to the top 10, made it to the team event and got a bronze medal. I can tell Adam always listened to me very carefully, trained well and did all I told him. We wrote down a detailed plan how to make it to the Olympics and do the most there. Everything worked out. For me it was a personal coaching bonus. 

EV: Why doesn’t your `bonus' do the quad jumps?

RA: Because he is an adult - he is 28. He is heavy - that's the way he is built. When he is attempting the quads in the practices his feet hurt so badly we can't train the next couple of days, never mind jump. And we have to. I work with what we have and all Rippon and I achieved is a result of hard world. Ashley, on the other hand, as I mentioned, is not practicing so well. It's hard for her to convince herself - she is an adult woman with a woman's body. With such a body she has to be very strict with herself and noe everyone can do it. As a coach I did all I could with Wagner. Though think it was the decision of the USA judges not to let Wagner do the Olympics. She lost the 3rd American girl in the components, which is stupid. Ashley Wagner can't lose the complonents. She can lose the technical mark - true. Double foot the jumps or something else. Hence I think it was a federation's political decision.

EV: After Tennell won the nationals she became an athlete who many think under certain circumstances can make it to the podium

RA: In theory, I guess, but I wouldn't put her among the favourites.

EV: If you were talking about a favourite - who is it

RA: I can't name just one name in the current situation in the ladies.

EV: Why?

RA: Did you see the ice dance final?

EV: Yes.

RA: Could you believe the Canadians would win?

EV: More like I really wanted them to

RA: Me too. But when Tessa and Scott won I had a bad aftertaste. Because Papadakis/Cizeron skated equally well. But they lost. Because there is only one Olympic gold. It's the same here. I can name one athlete but deep down I'll feel bad not naming the other. It would be easier if Medvedeva and Zagitova didn't skate at all. I would then give the gold to Evgenia

EV: Why?

RA: Because she worked towards it for so long. I respect the athlets work. I like people who go to their goal for a long time.

EV: Like Aljona Savchenko?

RA: Like Aljona Savchenko. I think her victory changed the way all the skaters treat what they do. It's very important being reminded from time to time the hard work will be rewarded. That was the reason I so wanted Tessa and Scott to win.

EV: Scott admitted after the skate at the time he thought the words of his coach Zueva that he and Tessa should participate at least 3 Olympics more an absurd. And after that victory he said `Since it's our 3rd Olympics and we won I can't tell now we are done'.

RA: That's what am talking about. Of course longlivety in the sports is hard. It's a constant work on yourself, on the body, like in the ballet. But in the ballet it's taken very seriously. It's not the way it is here. Hence I say Aljona's victory changed the game. See how she looks at the age of 34. And I pray to god she will not retire yet. It is such people who create the right way to treat the sport, the way the others should as well. Set an example for people like Nathan. Being an athlete is not a profession it’s a philosophy.

• Love 14