Type keyword(s) to search

Season 24 Discussion

I am still not sure what Khrystyana did to get cut there at the final 3. Law really had it out for her. That said, historically, winning ANTM has actually not been great for someone's career...and if what she has done is any indication, Khrys is free from any contractual obligations to dominate.

I am not unhappy Kyla won, but I don't really understand her look. They compliment her when her chin is down, but the truth is when she does that, it makes the shape of her nose even more severe. They said exactly the opposite of what I was thinking about her photo for Paper...it looked to me like she was a kid and the wig was wearing her.

Jeana is just too severe about virtually everything for me to deal with. She should've been cut last episode, she had the worst photoshoot for Paper, and she had the worst track record. She does have a great walk as a standalone, but the way she left that kid in the dust was crazy.

Edited by MKL122788
  • Love 20

I'm going to have to watch the clips tomorrow but I don't really get what Law's problem was with Khrys.  I feel weird that I have to agree with Drew.  I've got no problem with Kyla winning considering the choice could have been Jeana and she's been pretty insufferable the past several eps.

Oh well, congrats to Kyla.  I hope Next L.A. actually works with her and doesn't just stick her on their direct roster and forget about her.  Khrys will be fine.  She's been working pretty consistently.  Jeana also seems to be working even if it's pretty much niche.  Shanice, I'm not sure about but she seems to have the long hair she wanted based on her IG stream.

I'm willing to blame some of this on the fact that this show is now on VH1 but I can't believe TPTB that run ANTM actually thought this was a good conclusion to this cycle.  I hope the next one is better or maybe they need to just be done with it.  They definitely need to rejigger the judges table and stop having Plein on.  Two cycles of him is enough.

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, MKL122788 said:

They said exactly the opposite of what I was thinking about her photo for Paper...it looked to me like she was a kid and the wig was wearing her.

Well the only good thing about that is that like India they'll likely reshoot Kyla for Paper and won't use anything from this shoot. 

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 3

Well!  This cycle was total bullsh*t.  How did that weasel, Jeanna, get in the top two?  Ridiculous - even for this show.

BTW, when she walks away, one can really notice Ashley Graham's fat ass.

4 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

Well the only good thing about that is that like India they'll reshoot Kyla for Paper and won't use anything from this shoot.

I didn't get the tongue-bath for Kyla's photo.  What did they see that I didn't?  I liked Khrys' the best.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Well!  This cycle was total bullsh*t.  How did that weasel, Jeanna, get in the top two?  Ridiculous - even for this show.

I can only imagine what the ANTM facebook page looks like now.  Not to mention the other forums that are following this.  There is already a lot of disappointment out there about this.  Especially for a season where Tyra was all about throwing out all the rules about age, height, body type, etc.  Out of the top four, they chose the most conventional one in terms of model-type.

• Love 17

I haven't watched it yet, but wanted to know who won. I'm glad Krys didn't, only because this frees her up to do what she wants and it's clear that she's been super successful post show. Kyla needs some actual modeling tips, so her winning will actually help her more than Krys. She does have the body of a model, but it's clear that this show didn't really help her actually be a model. Hopefully with her signed to an agency, Kyla will be able to get proper tips on what she should do.

I do find it funny that in a season that was all about inclusion and had both the short and tall, plus size and skinny, young and old, the winner ended up being a young skinny tall woman.

• Love 19
53 minutes ago, wait.what said:

Khrys was robbed!!!

Tyra chose two bad photos in the last two weeks, and Law couldn't wait to pretend that was her best.  Drew actually gasped at one of Khrystyana's pic because it was breathtaking.  I wouldn't mind if Law didn't come back.

Khrys should have won because she's an actual legitimate plus-size model versus the one they crowned years back who sucked in every single photo shoot.

• Love 16

I had a feeling after last week with everyone saying how Kyla's Pantene photo was so "on brand" that she would win. They're the ones paying the $100k prize money, so they probably got final approval. I was rooting for Khrys, but I'm not too upset that she didn't win because this show hasn't actually helped any of its winners launch a legit modeling career.

• Love 13

The most deserving model didn’t win. Big surprise. I'm just glad that the Black Swan didn’t win. Khrys will be fine as it gave her exposure. Kyla has great hair and will be a good model for Pantene, but she needs a lot more guidance and this win may do that for her. 

Law Roach is a hideous creature. I literally wanted to slap that horrible wig off his head. Why do folks hire that fool? He’s an obnoxious tool. Same with that pervert designer. Icky, gross man. 

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 14

Ugh. I turned this off the minute they dumped Khrys.  I don't know who I was more disgusted with after watching: Jeana, that creepy Phillip Plein or Law.  I'd be happy to never see any of them on my tv ever again.  The Kyla win just surprised me.  She's young - she'll learn so there's that.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, radiochik said:

Ugh. I turned this off the minute they dumped Khrys.  I don't know who I was more disgusted with after watching: Jeana, that creepy Phillip Plein or Law.  I'd be happy to never see any of them on my tv ever again. 

I turned to another channel, too.  I snuck back just to make sure that Jeanna lost, but still - what a crappy show and what a crappy panel.

• Love 6

Better Kyla than Jeana, but Khrys will be fine, better even, because she doesn't have the boat-anchor of the ANTM title around her neck.  And she won some great prizes that will really help her career, including walking in a REAL New York Fashion Week show, not these lame fake fashion shows including the finale one.  And she won that acting prize too.  I have my fingers crossed that we'll see her get some real success!

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I could've easily dealt with Khrystyana losing, if only she'd beaten Jeana.  Ugh.

That's what I'm mad about. I am happy for Kyla. I think the win will benefit her more since she's just starting out and needs the help and hopefully they will give her some training. But how in holy hell did Jeana make it to the final two? She was cut weeks ago!!!!!

I, too, noticed when she copied Pervy and picked up her kid, the one she practically abandoned on the runway lol. She's soooo original. UGH. God I hope I never see her or her labia ever again.

• Love 13

I totally missed Jeana picking up the kid. It was so nice to see Kyla and Krys reunite with all of the girls and Jeana pretty much ignore everyone. Rio is still salty lol.

I wanted to give Krys a big hug when she was crying. I hope she has a great career.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

That is what I heard whispers of.  It's unfair to strip her of the prize when the fact was known when the accepted her on the show.

I wouldn't take her lawsuit's claims as fact, since I don't know whether or not they're true.  What I do know is that there's no way she should've been the winner to begin with.  It should've been Allison.  Although she's definitely better off not having won.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Tanichka said:

I didn't get the tongue-bath for Kyla's photo.  What did they see that I didn't?  I liked Khrys' the best.

So did I, but Kyla's was better than Jeana's, at least.  It seemed pretty clear to me that Drew did not want Jeana, and I can't imagine Pantene did either.  I don't know why Law seemed so set against Khrys; same with Tyra.  I think Kyla was the pre-determined winner and she really would've had to mess up to not win.  I'm okay with it because she does have potential and did seem to improve over the course of the competition.  Plus, Khrys is working a lot, so if this got her extra exposure, then she's a winner in that respect.

• Love 9

Law's hate for Khrystiana is probably because he wants to the gross designer in his bedroom. With the panel, Law is the only one who doesn't add anything to the show. Drew is annoying at times, but he does have his moments. Law adds nothing but snide and disgusting comments.

I didn't like the designer before, but then he made Khrys cry. Why would you do that? She's probably going to be the most successful one out of this bunch, so I'm glad she won't have to deal with him again and be stuck with this show.

It's funny how much Drew and Jeana don't like each other. The interview that he does with the models who leave was hilariously awkward when it was with Jeana.

I'm okay with Kyla winning, but the way the judges were talking about the two finalists it should have been Jeana. (Remember Tyra's words of how our definition of beauty is based on a lie) She fit the brand of the season, even though she was got weird in the end. Pantene was probably the one who picked Kyla, so that's why she won.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 10

I was angry at the designer too. Him calling her a "horse" or having a "horse-like" walk is one thing, but then commenting on not making her butt move when she walks? Dude, that's what happens when a normal-sized girl with a booty walks and there is nothing she can do to stop that. An ass moves when anyone walks... things jiggle. He wanted a size anorexic chick from the beginning and it was obvious he wasn't looking for a model like Khrys. Putting her in an unflattering outfit didn't help either. The corset was too tight! 

I'm happy for Kyla but just don't think she has a brain or even the looks to really back the win up. Being biracial is hardly a platform and whining about things does not make you an activist. I'm not sure why she won but her age lends herself to more growth in the industry and being a nice person will take her far. Jeana was a straight up bitch whose personality shown through when she ditched the little girl on the runway.   

• Love 17
35 minutes ago, SnarkAttack30 said:

I'm happy for Kyla but just don't think she has a brain or even the looks to really back the win up. Being biracial is hardly a platform and whining about things does not make you an activist. I'm not sure why she won but her age lends herself to more growth in the industry and being a nice person will take her far. Jeana was a straight up bitch whose personality shown through when she ditched the little girl on the runway.   

I have to defend Kyla's activist thing, because I think the show didn't do her any justice by what she believes. In the blooper episode, she mentioned that she got more involved in being an activist after her friend was murdered. She's still young, which is why she wasn't able to communicate properly with Liberty and was immature about things, but I do think she has a reason for want to bring change and whatnot.

You did remind me that Tyra called Kyla a biracial butterfly, which should only be used on Jade, but um...isn't Jeana also biracial? Seems weird to only call one girl that and ignore the other.

• Love 10

That makes a bit more sense about the whole activist thing but they didn't make it clear what she meant in the show itself. I found Kyla immature and air-headed at times; a true millennial who thinks that her words actually matter and her impact is changing the world when really, posting on social media and whining about life is far from that truth. 

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I have to defend Kyla's activist thing, because I think the show didn't do her any justice by what she believes

No it did not. Since she was the chosen one I'm surprised they didn't focus a bit more on that side of her. It's a good thing to highlight. As it was shown on the show, the extent of her activism was holding up a sign that one time and having opinions on things.

I have to think that Jeana made the final two just so it was easier to crown Kyla the winner, because when you sit there thinking OMG it can't be Jeana, their saying Kyla is a big victory. But if it had been Kyla vs Khrys at the end it wouldn't have been as celebrated.

It is pretty funny that they made such a fuss over Kyla being biracial when she wasn't the only one who was. So, was that the only think they thought was worthy about her? Poor thing.

I agree that Law is useless on panel. He can go away. Drew at least represents Paper Magazine which has a vested interest in who wins, since she's going to be in their magazine, and he was at the shoots. He knows how fucking horrible Jeana is to deal with. Law sees her only at panel where she's putting on her "pick me as the winner because I'm so wonderful" face. Bitch is two sided as penny. Sadly, I've seen more than one side of her I'd rather not have, both in personality and body. *shiver*

I hope both Khrys and Kyla get work out of being on the show. I liked them both and was okay with either winning. Or both. They should have shocked us all and crowned a double winner.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, SnarkAttack30 said:

That makes a bit more sense about the whole activist thing but they didn't make it clear what she meant in the show itself. I found Kyla immature and air-headed at times; a true millennial who thinks that her words actually matter and her impact is changing the world when really, posting on social media and whining about life is far from that truth. 

I definitely agree with you. She's still young, so she's trying to figure out her voice, but I'd like to think she'll grow up and mature with her views and her level of activism.

• Love 6

Kyla's best moment was that music video shoot with the green outfit.  She was so luscious.  I like her, but honestly, I'm not sure if she overcame the 'dead eye' thing.  Tyra and Law made up a lot of the narrative that wasn't actually true.

The really funny/weird thing about Drew's brocade outfit was it 100% matched the background they were going to shoot in.  It was almost like a green screen.  You could just see his head floating.

I think Jeana is actually multiracial instead of biracial.  According to her own description, I count 4 races, not just 2.

47 minutes ago, SnarkAttack30 said:

You should read about the impact that David Hogg has made doing that.  It can certainly be done and it has been done.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kyla's best moment was that music video shoot with the green outfit.  She was so luscious.  I like her, but honestly, I'm not sure if she overcame the 'dead eye' thing.  Tyra and Law made up a lot of the narrative that wasn't actually true.

The really funny/weird thing about Drew's brocade outfit was it 100% matched the background they were going to shoot in.  It was almost like a green screen.  You could just see his head floating.

I think Jeana is actually multiracial instead of biracial.  According to her own description, I count 4 races, not just 2.

You should read about the impact that David Hogg has made doing that.  It can certainly be done and it has been done.

She is FAR from David Hogg. Not a great comparison.

I also didn't mean that ALL millennials are vapid and/or void of substance or lack the ability to promote social change. She just comes across as one that lacks a consistent and domineering voice of action, unlike someone like David Hogg or those that have been through real tragedy and struggle like him. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I agree that Law is useless on panel. He can go away. Drew at least represents Paper Magazine which has a vested interest in who wins, since she's going to be in their magazine, and he was at the shoots. He knows how fucking horrible Jeana is to deal with. Law sees her only at panel where she's putting on her "pick me as the winner because I'm so wonderful" face.

Law is so transparent... I can't imagine anyone wanting to be around him. The way he was talking after the spat with Drew, I think he realized he was wrong. And Jeana? Wow what a horrible person. I actually thought she was a nice person in the beginning. But, she's a piece of work!

• Love 8

I don’t disagree about the show not doing Kyla justice. The show made everyone look bad, although some more than others. My issue is how it seems more important (to Kyla) that she be seen as an activist, rather than any cause that she’s promoting. @SnarkAttack30 I share the frustration that each week is a different cause. Because she’s a winner, the tricksy editors have decided on a narrative about her “having lost her way” instead of treating social conscience as a fashion accessory.

She talked about her stuttering, her head trauma, being or supporting queers (that might have been the first episode that she talked about being an activist), and most recently being bi-racial and wanting to help other kids whose parents divorced (!) Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, and @CheezyXpressed has just reminded me of yet another one. She seems to bring these different causes up that the show never lets us see her talk about again.

This is especially extra given how the show forcefed us weeks of Brendi’s tearful narratives about how horrible her life is, which kind of gives the impression that everyone else either has less sucky circumstances or have figured out how to deal (and can then be inspirations, like TYRA!) Kyla’s identity right now is either blank slate, wanna-be activist or lowest common denominator. I think the real problem is that the show hasn’t figured out for itself what constitutes ANTM – soooo glad they dropped the “BOSS” crap from last season.

I liked the argument between Law and Drew. Drew was pissy enough to pull the “it’s MY magazine” card, but so much for Krys having the best pho-TOE of the three.

Krystyana was truly robbed. But did they really have to decimate her like that to make her ouster an inevitability? This is the same girl who won other runway challenges! I also hope that she gets massive success from hereon out.

As for Jeana. She didn’t have a chance. They tried to get rid of her not once but twice, and somewhere midstream TPTB decided to turn her into this season’s villain. Maybe if they had started that narrative when we first met her I’d have enjoyed this season a lot more, instead of seeing editing shenanigans all over the place.

I’m really uncomfortable with all the shaming about her being in Playboy or work like that. (OK, I laughed at @bref's  comment about seeing her genitalia) She talked about her circumstances—I think her mother was an addict and possibly a sex worker, and Jeana was abused in fostercare. Given all that, it’s easy to understand why opportunities to be paid to pose would be so enticing, and why she would see it (or want to see it) as an empowering choice. There’s no way that narrative would fly on this show, so better to edit her in a way that oks her being bullied or given the cold shoulder by the other girls in the house—including the self-proclaimed activist.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I definitely agree with you. She's still young, so she's trying to figure out her voice, but I'd like to think she'll grow up and mature with her views and her level of activism.

That's my hope too. Maybe she will find a strong voice and really settle into the role of an activist over time. I just didn't see her as such in the duration of the show. 

• Love 2

So Kyla with her big blob of a nose won. *YAWN* I am sure she will never be seen again. Other than biracial (which of course Jeanna also is) they also mentioned her brain injury. So Tyra was all about not letting age, size, color etc hold you back....then they choose the skinny 18 year old.  *sigh*

Total disappointment of a season.  Waving at Khrys, hey girl, go make that money honey! You are beloved!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

She talked about her stuttering, her head trauma, being or supporting queers (that might have been the first episode that she talked about being an activist), and most recently being bi-racial and wanting to help other kids whose parents divorced (!) Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head, and @CheezyXpressed has just reminded me of yet another one. She seems to bring these different causes up that the show never lets us see her talk about again.

Yes. This is what I meant about a consistent and domineering cause as most true activists have. She supposedly stood for every cause but an activist typically has one they focus more strongly on and stand behind it. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, SnarkAttack30 said:

That's my hope too. Maybe she will find a strong voice and really settle into the role of an activist over time. I just didn't see her as such in the duration of the show. 

To be fair, we only see what the producers choose to show us.  She could be really big into activism for a variety of causes (because there's no reason one can't be a true activist for more than one thing), but they didn't really show us much.

14 minutes ago, SnarkAttack30 said:

Yes. This is what I meant about a consistent and domineering cause as most true activists have. She supposedly stood for every cause but an activist typically has one they focus more strongly on and stand behind it. 

I know committed activists who work for more than one cause, so there's no reason why Kyla couldn't.  Yes, she did sound a bit scattershot in that respect, but that is at least partly down to editing.

Here's hoping that NEXT actually puts her in a development program of some sort rather than letting her flounder, because she does have potential.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

This is especially extra given how the show forcefed us weeks of Brendi’s tearful narratives about how horrible her life is, which kind of gives the impression that everyone else either has less sucky circumstances or have figured out how to deal (and can then be inspirations, like TYRA!) Kyla’s identity right now is either blank slate, wanna-be activist or lowest common denominator. I think the real problem is that the show hasn’t figured out for itself what constitutes ANTM – soooo glad they dropped the “BOSS” crap from last season.

I have no idea why we spent so much time on Brendi K. We learned that Shanice also had a rough childhood and I'd argue that Jeana had it even worse, yet we spent episode after episode on Brendi K. Her home life wasn't great, she had to deal with losing her hair, she was foster care and raped and abused multiple times.

The blooper episode made fun of the fact that Jeana cries a lot, but considering her past it makes perfect sense. It's also understandable why she posed for Playboy and finds it empowering. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see any of that on the show.

ANTM was renewed for a couple of more seasons, so I'm curious to see what they do moving forward. This season wasn't good. Thankfully we started to get more deliberations during the latter episodes, but by then it was almost too little too late. I really hope they fire Law. He has no business on this show and I don't need to hear about his sex life or what he wants to do to an equally gross designer.

• Love 8

I'm so glad I came here instead of watching this on my dvr.  I love Khrys and the fact she didn't win just rankles.  I know in a way it's a good thing.  Still.  

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

and I'd argue that Jeana had it even worse, yet we spent episode after episode on Brendi K. Her home life wasn't great, she had to deal with losing her hair, she was foster care and raped and abused multiple times.

Wow, I missed all of this. I had no idea. Must of fast-forwarded through a lot of the show. I take back calling her a horrible person. She's been through a lot...and it explains some of her decisions, insecurities and empowerment issues. But, my dislike of Law stands! ;-)

• Love 1