Type keyword(s) to search

Season 24 Discussion

In the Season 24 premiere, Tyra Banks returns as host alongside returning judges Ashley Graham, Law Roach and Drew Elliott, who they welcome 26 aspiring models to compete for the title.

I loves Tyra, I really do.  But what I would like for her to strike from this show is the fake outs. You are the Boss. When you want to cut a bitch, just cut her.  Also if you change your mind about how many finalists you are going to use, just do it.  We really didn't need to see a finalist almost leave the house before you spring her picture on her.  Most of these women aren't wrapped too tight as it is! I'm almost ready to add a psych consult as part of the audition.

Liz: She does look like a drunk Courtney Love in the face.  And is emotionally unstable to boot.  I can't imagine she will last long in the ANTM meat grinder.

Christina:  Girl, Law can't stand you. Its going to fun watching him try to poison the other judges against her, I hope.

I'm rooting for Jeana, Rhiyan, Rio, Coura, and Erin. 

• Love 6

Since Tyra is "retired" I hope she is more involved in this season like in the really early seasons. Sorry. Cycles.

Tyra still has that sadistic side. (see MODELLAND her book) Yes I bought and read it. Its crazy.

DISEASE! POOR! MORE DISEASE! POLITICAL DISCORD! WEIRD HAND POSE CHOICES! Welcome back ANTM.

• Love 6

Tyra! It's like she never left. Except she seems out of place, because she's way more energetic than anyone else. She's clearly from a different generation of reality TV. 

I didn't learn a single name. What they did to the "old" was super mean, twisted. That's about all I can remember...except for the unstable one crying about something. 

Here's hoping it picks up! 

• Love 4

I was really hoping Erin would be stronger just to scare the younger women, if you see what I mean.  But she seems like a sweet chick and we're basically the same age so she's on my rooting for list. 

Liz is going to be a fun tv personality.  She seems exhausting but with a modicum of self awareness so she's on my list, too. 

I'm sad that Mia, the chick who looked like Bambi and was black/white/Japanese didn't get in.  Her face was neat.

• Love 7

I was kind of in a funk, and then this show came on. Instant cheer! And on top of that, Tyra’s back! I also liked the judges, and what they said (that we were shown).

Not sure what I think about the lifting of the age restrictions and the “most diverse” range of body types. It’s like after Nyle, the show’s given up on spitting out a winner who could have an actual, successful fashion model career and headed straight for reality show stardom.

I kinda dug the shoot, the OTT clothes from Lady Gaga’s designer and impromptu runway.  Ready for another cycle of Ty-rany! Yay!!!

• Love 4

I think Erin is beautiful, but the fact that we're the same age and she has five children and a few grandchildren made my eyes bug. I know this probably sounds terrible, but I wouldn't expect her to look as good as she does. I'd expect to see more stress on her. 

My early favorites are Rio and Coura, but I'm pulling for Erin too because she's a peer. 

I thought that I was going to lose it when Tyra started talking about ribs.

I don't know how I feel about lifting the age requirement either. I don't see a 40-year-old and 20-year-old on the same level physically, mentally, and emotionally. It's a wide gap in life experience. Diet and exercise can give a person a decent body and good health at any age, but you're still your age. 

Even though I watched the women vs. men cycles, I didn't quite understand the point of those either. 

In the real world of modeling, men and women wouldn't be competing for the same jobs. Just like a 20-year-old model and a 40-year-old model wouldn't be competing for the same jobs. They wouldn't even be in the same division. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4

Was Lyric ( basketball player & reality show star progeny) Tami from the Real World's daughter?  Wow! Time has really passed. I thought she was better looking than many of the others who made it, are they just going for unique this year?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, millahnna said:

I'm sad that Mia, the chick who looked like Bambi and was black/white/Japanese didn't get in.  Her face was neat.

Oh! She was adorable! That cute lil 'fro! I remember her better than quite a few girls who actually made it into the house. One problem she had is that there was a lot of strong competition for mixed-looking/ethnically ambiguous girls. But, let's be real--- they didn't pick her because she was too shy & sweet! Producers be like: 'Hm. Do we take the quiet one with the perma-smile or the one that read Law Roach for filth?!? Decisions, decisions...'

4 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I kinda dug the shoot, the OTT clothes from Lady Gaga’s designer and impromptu runway.  Ready for another cycle of Ty-rany! Yay!!!

I didn't catch that. Thanks! No wonder the clothes were so fabulous & crazy. I was impressed that the production values looked so expensive.

17 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Was Lyric ( basketball player & reality show star progeny) Tami from the Real World's daughter?  Wow! Time has really passed. I thought she was better looking than many of the others who made it, are they just going for unique this year?

Yep, that was her. Really pretty! I thought she had already done some professional modeling? But, Tyra was all 'No. You're an actress. Bye.'

Also, I hate to pick on the poor girl with alopecia, but something was off with her skin. She had bags under her eyes & just overall didn't look healthy. I wonder if she has other health issues?

• Love 5

I'm so glad this ridiculous show is back! Maybe it's because I'm getting my monthly visitor but when Tyra told Erin she was staying, I shed a little tear. She was so happy. I don't think she'll win but it'll be interesting to see her in the house with all the girls. She can be the momma bear.

Liz seems like a hot mess. The girl she was talking to (Kristyanna?) seemed so confused. 

• Love 5

I haven't watched the show since the British Invasion, so it's been awhile.

Mia was stunning with a unique face, but her quiet personality didn't fit the show. She would have gotten the 'no personality' edit or only shown when she's getting her photo and nothing else.

What they did to Erin was cruel, but her reaction to finding out that she was staying was endearing. I might have teared up too. It would have been stupid to say that there's no age restriction and cut the only one who is in her 40s. I hope she does well.

I feel bad for Christina. She didn't give off a good impression and the only reason she stayed was because it's good television. (Same reason why they kept Liberty) I hope the judges don't rip her to shreds every week, because it looks like she has a weak heart.

Rio and Coura seem like the top girls so far. I do like Jeanne too and it looks like they're going to remove her wig once they do the makeovers, so she's going to stay for a bit. I don't think Erin is good enough at this time, but I'm rooting for her too.

Sandra is Muslim, but she's not the first on the show. She does remind me of Kim K though.

• Love 4

Tyra is a Sadist, but I am glad they kept the 42 yo. She's fan.

Wud is wrong with Courtney Love and all that crazy she brings. SHUT THE FUCK UP NOBODY, LIKE,CARES HOW YOU, LIKE, FEEL.* whiiiiiinnne* Shutty.

Just now, Nancypants said:

Tyra is a Sadist, but I am glad they kept the 42 yo. She's fab!

Wud is wrong with Courtney Love and all that crazy she brings. SHUT THE FUCK UP NOBODY, LIKE,CARES HOW YOU, LIKE, FEEL.* whiiiiiinnne* Shutty.

Regarding the "twist" by keeping Erin (?), I'm not sure it was planned.... My take on it is taht Tyra really liked what she said at the end... I'm probably too naive, lol, but I really didn't have the feeling it was planned

• Love 2
9 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

I didn't catch that. Thanks! No wonder the clothes were so fabulous & crazy. I was impressed that the production values looked so expensive.

He was her stylist and played a huge role in crafting her image during the "Born This Way" days. I read that he left his position because it became too exhausting to always come up with ideas for her, and his departure led to a huge image/identity crisis when she did "Artpop" - part of the reason why it was not as successful.

• Love 3

OMG, Ivana! Tyra did not go to Harvard!!  She took a class on the Harvard campus—like a seminar.  She does not have a degree from Harvard!!

ETA:  And what in god’s name does Tyra have on top of her head at the panel where she is selecting people to participate in the show? how dare she make fun of somebody else’s wig! Tyra, worry about your own crazy wig first. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I feel bad for Christina. She didn't give off a good impression and the only reason she stayed was because it's good television. (Same reason why they kept Liberty) I hope the judges don't rip her to shreds every week, because it looks like she has a weak heart.

So when she announced that she was from Jenkintown PA, I perked up because I can throw a stone from my front porch and it'll land in Jenkintown.  So I'm thinking I get to pull for a local girl.  Then she spoke.  What the hell was that?!  Running down her resume like she was the next Naomi and so above the competition.  Law or Tyra should've come right out and asked her, "Well, if you're all that, why are you here?"   Maybe she has a weak heart but she has a flip lip and now I can't stand her.  

20 hours ago, rustyspigot said:

Tyra still has that sadistic side.

Yes!  And I'm here for it.  I love Erin's story but her modeling really was lacking.  I hope she picks it up.  But the truly sadistic thing I've missed are the insane challenges.  Did y'all see next week's previews??!!  I'm giddy---navigating a concrete skatepark in high heels whilst dodging flying skateboarders.  You just know a collision or two is inevitable.

• Love 8

Ok that was really mean to do that to the 42 year-old. F Tyra. That sucks. Tyra manipulated her emotions to get “good TV.”   Yes, I know that’s how reality TV works, but it  just seemed exceptionally mean to make her think she was leaving.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Everyone tale a shot every time one of the contestants whines that they " want this soooo bad!"

You trying to kill us, Boo.  We'd be in the hospital with alcohol poisoning before we even get to makeovers.

• Love 1

Photos from this epi

Aww, I wish Mia had made it but I do think she would have been fodder and not gone far.  I'm already over Liz but she's reality TV catnip so she'll be around awhile.  Christina is not new to the modeling game so I've no clue what her pissing off Law was about (granted Law is annoying).

Agree that Tyra should not talk smack about anyone's wigs considering all the crazy fake hair she's sported over the life of this show (not to mention her wardrobe).

I'm expecting questionable cuts and bad makeovers so let the games begin!

• Love 3

Better than last year already.

I kind of like some house drama, and I think mixed ages will make for perhaps some more interesting interactions. 

Hey at least there wasn't a 2 minute opening sequence that mostly stars Tyra with Tyra posing and Tyra singing! ...And Tyra only said "tooch" once.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Roccos Brother said:

It's so obvious that certain girls were cast ONLY for their stories/drama. They don't even try to hide it this time. Ugh.

Tyra was basically like, well you're obviously a complete asshole, but we're keeping you in the competition.  For goodness sakes.

Oh god I hate Tyra.  I loved last season with Rita.  Damn. Damn. Damn.

5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I might have missed it, but what does the winner of this cycle actually win? A runway lesson from Miss J? 

A contract with Next Models, a spread in Paper mag and $100k from Pantene.

Oh wait! You might get to marry one of those Dickish guys from the Brady Bunch, plus you have a guaranteed spot on Dancing with the Stars. And after you get good and fucked  on drugs, Dr. Phil will get you some airtime.

Plus, all the Pantene you can stand.

Plus you get to be pretty.

• Love 4

Did anyone else notice that the quality of the video changed from time to time? Like some of it was shot with a home-movie quality video camera and some of it was shot with the normal high-end  camera equipment? 

I haven't found any actual spoilers for this "cycle" on RTVGames yet, because the thread is over 50 pages long. I think Supmod got out of the spoiler business over there after spoiling last season pretty accurately.

I'm not sure how I feel about Tyra being back. She fell right back into making the whole show about herself again. UGH. On the other hand, if she hadn't come back then VH1 might not have bothered producing this cycle at all.

As for the hamsters..... I can't tell them apart yet.

On 1/10/2018 at 9:25 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

So when she announced that she was from Jenkintown PA, I perked up because I can throw a stone from my front porch and it'll land in Jenkintown.  So I'm thinking I get to pull for a local girl.  Then she spoke.  What the hell was that?!  Running down her resume like she was the next Naomi and so above the competition.  Law or Tyra should've come right out and asked her, "Well, if you're all that, why are you here?"   Maybe she has a weak heart but she has a flip lip and now I can't stand her. 

She definitely seems weak, since she was about to break down the moment the judges went after her. I do wonder if some of her problem lies with the tone of her voice. If she mentioned who she worked for in a "I worked with this person and this person and I'm just so excited to be here." Then that would have helped, but her tone makes her come off as being pretentious and over it, which turned off the judges.

I'm willing to give her the chance, but the only reason for her being here is for ratings. I just hope she doesn't become a punching bag. It already reminds me of Kelly from season 3 (?) who went from bubbly but too much in the beginning, to a mess by the time she left.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2018 at 4:35 PM, Roccos Brother said:

It's so obvious that certain girls were cast ONLY for their stories/drama. They don't even try to hide it this time. Ugh.

Case in point: "Hello, my name is XYZ and I'm a Trump supporter. "

I'm not trying to turn this into a political discussion, but who introduces themselves by staying their political affiliation? She was obviously cast for her story/drama.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Case in point: "Hello, my name is XYZ and I'm a Trump supporter. "

I'm not trying to turn this into a political discussion, but who introduces themselves by staying their political affiliation? She was obviously cast for her story/drama.

Seriously. I know it means getting additional airtime, but if I were in the house I would just cover my ears and walk away any time politics came up. "Nope. My sanity is worth more than this."

• Love 7
On 1/10/2018 at 7:59 PM, PityFree said:

OMG, Ivana! Tyra did not go to Harvard!!  She took a class on the Harvard campus—like a seminar.  She does not have a degree from Harvard!!

She went to seminar that's a couple of days long, designed basically for celebrities and CEOs, and costs $40,000.

https://www.exed.hbs.edu/programs/opm/Pages/default.aspx

https://www.exed.hbs.edu/programs/bems/Pages/default.aspx

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/06/katie-holmes-harvard-business-school

Edited by HunterHunted

Just when I thought I was out they pulled me back in.

I thought I was just gonna...ya know...peruse the channels...oh, ANTM is on...Tyra's back...still wearing dem horrible wigs..wait. she had the nerve to drag somebody for wearing a wig? really? the hell?  Oh, they're gonna keep her...(mouthy pouty one) drama in the house. 42? 3 grands? They're keeping her. She'll be the mom of the ...wait...

DAMMIT!!!! I'M RIGHT BACK IN AGAIN!!!!

Damn this show!

May as well enjoy...so far I've been able to pinpoint the one tyra wants to win. Wonder if I've still got it?

For the record? 42's pictures and walk weren't that great. the fact that she's in the house tells me she's Tyra's pick to win...she'll never get any real work. Too old, and being on this show is the kiss of death for a real model but dangit, goooooood TV. Watch...oldest winner of ANTM...watch...they brought her on for a reason.

Hope they don't cut her hair...if what's in that bun is all hers, I'll bet she's stunning w/her hair down and all kinky/curly...

• Love 6

Jeana is so incredibly beautiful. I lol'd at Drew saying she brought the MILF. I'm liking Drew and "I'm going to buy a uterus on Ebay!" Law.

Stacey McKenzie should get her own show (and still show up for ANTM)

"White Picket Fence" went home! Brendi -- the show did a great job of making me learn her name and hey, did you know she lives in a car? After even Tyra mentioned it, we knew it was going to be her pho-TO in Tyra's hands. Not that I'm complaining. There's definitely something there.

Based on the edited comments, I was super confused with the order of the pho-TOs.

• Love 2

Innnteresting that Brendi K. (dafuq wit dat name? And consider my spelling in the above rhetorical question my meta-commentary on that) and Maggie are the two who are out of order, alphabetically, in the title sequence. 

Well, technically, I guess it’s either Brendi K. and Liz OR Christina and Maggie who are out of order, but that ruins my point so we’ll just pretend; at least, they’re each one half of the two “flipped” pairs when everyone else, IIRC*, seemed to be shown alphabetical by first name.  

(Was there a title sequence in episode 1? I’m assuming not, as we didn’t find out until the end of the episode who was selected for the Fetch Fierce Final Fukked-Up Fifteen or whatever Fraze Tyra is trying to make happen this menstrual cycle, but maybe they played it then and I don’t remember) so I don’t know if we’re gonna get different swaps each week so we can know who’ll be the two beeyooteeful women standing before Tyra when she only has one pho-TOE left in her hand even before they knock us out with their anvils a few minutes later, or if the editors just don’t know their ABCs):

I only decided to pay attention this time as I realized I didn’t know a single one of their names, and when they got to Brendi K (second, after Christina), my first thought was, “The hell? There are TWO Brendis on this show?” and, while on the lookout for Brendi X or whatever, realized that everyone else was alphabetical and sadly there’d be no Brendi Elemenopeigh, that that was ... just her name. But then, I realized that, although slightly less obvious than had it been, like, Khrystyana or Rhiyan or at-least-not-Lybirti,-I-guess, because their parents didn’t hate them at birth, Maggie and Liz were, likewise, flipped.

*Ima feel hella dumb** unstablely ungenius if I really wasn’t paying nearly as much attention as I thought/just demonstrated I’d score, at best, a 15/30 on the MoCA and they actually weren’t alphabetical at all.

**So does this make me sound like a White Homegirl From Maine? (Because, really, I think I just sound like I’m in middle school and not, holy shit, the same age as Erin-the-grandma-with-five-kids).

Edited by methadonna
Autocorrect or something turned a random phrase into something that coulda been a Born-to-be-a-Fetch-Fierce-Top Model name: “end of” became Endor. If Tyra casts an alleged Endor during her next cycle, I get full credit/blame.
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Based on the edited comments, I was super confused with the order of the pho-TOs.

Same. That was a weeeeeird call-out order. I thought for sure Jeana would've gotten called first and I wonder if Drew cut Maggie because he thought she was rude and not taking the photo shoot seriously.

Not sure I liked the idea for the photo shoot.

• Love 2

There are some beautiful girls this season..I loved the photo shoot. I liked Maggie, she had a great walk, better than living in my car girl..

Liz is cute, but her wacky girl act will wear thin..

I'm the odd one out, I can't take to .Stacy, and she is rumored to be a real bitch to work with.

Tyra looks lovely as always..

• Love 2

I thought it was interesting that they said that Sandra knows how to photograph herself, but not let others do it for her. That's actually an interesting point as to the difference between an instragram model and a regular model, but I kind of wish they told the girls this just so they can practice when they're at the house.

Rio is beautiful, but they did her dirty with those earrings during the photo shoot. I couldn't pay attention to the photo since all I could see were those two huge globes on her neck that made her head/neck look weird.

• Love 4