Type keyword(s) to search

Season 24 Discussion

Krystyna seems like a truly nice person since she won the acting challenge and gets to be in the director's next project.  Now she wins both the runway challenge (and gets to walk in Fashion Week) AND she wins best photo and no one has been badmouthing her over the wins.

However, there's never a smooth trip to the winner's circle.  Either she'll suddenly have a run of bad photos only to rebound and be crowned the winner... OR... she'll be a shocking boot towards the end.

• Love 7

I feel kind of bad for Liberty. Do I agree with her views? No, but it's not like she was proselytizing. 

And, oh, for the second time in as many episodes, just because you feel a personal tie to the theme of the week does not mean you should expect to be handed the win.

• Love 17
19 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I feel kind of bad for Liberty. Do I agree with her views? No, but it's not like she was proselytizing. 

And, oh, for the second time in as many episodes, just because you feel a personal tie to the theme of the week does not mean you should expect to be handed the win.

I completely agree. I had to make an account just to comment on this thread.  

I get that Kyla is an activist, but she's a b**ch about other view points.

• Love 3

Kyla kind of annoyed me here. Liberty is a Republican (though she has since changed her views on Trump) she never tried to convert people into Trumpism. She stated her background and gave her reasons as to why she believes the way she believes. Kyla getting offended reminds me of people who think everyone should be woke, without understanding that ignorance can only be erased through education. The one who is ignorant needs to be open minded to have their views challenged, and the one 'teaching' them needs to have enough patience and understanding to realize that they won't become woke just like that. Instead, Kyla was aggressive and that won't change anyone's views. It will just make them more defensive. The fact that Liberty used this experience to learn about other people says more about her than Kyla, who is an activist.

I still don't like Rio. Now that she won first photo she's over Sandra, but not once did we see her apologize. I still don't like Brendi. I get that she and Christina has issues, but all of her complaints was felt like she should be telling herself the same thing. Christina isn't nice, but I also feel like a lot of the attitude just comes from the way her voice naturally sounds. It makes everything sound like she's has an air of arrogance, even though she may be trying to convey something else. I still don't like Shanice.

This was a weird photo shoot, because I don't think anyone conveyed what the shoot was about. The only one who did was Christina and her photo wasn't that great.

Sandra is probably leaving in the next episode, which is a shame because she's one of the nicer people in this competition. It's probably the reason why she had no air time during this episode.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Kyla getting offended reminds me of people who think everyone should be woke, without understanding that ignorance can only be erased through education. The one who is ignorant needs to be open minded to have their views challenged, and the one 'teaching' them needs to have enough patience and understanding to realize that they won't become woke just like that. Instead, Kyla was aggressive and that won't change anyone's views. It will just make them more defensive. The fact that Liberty used this experience to learn about other people says more about her than Kyla, who is an activist.

This. So much this. It's sad to see people using "wokeness" as a form of moral superiority, or as in this case, license to bully rather than enlighten. It did seem like everyone that claimed to be an activist (it takes more than just having a non-mainstream opinion to be an activist, imho) did poorly on the runway because--

1 hour ago, Qoass said:

I do wish we got more commentary on what specifically sucked about the walks that made Law cringe. It's meaningless to tell us that something's missing about Kyla so she hasn't had her breakthrough moment yet. (I'm sure that he went on to say more, but what an obvious statement for the editors to choose to show us.) Take some air time away from Brendi and Christina, please! Kyla hasn't stood out at all to me, unlike Liberty who actually won at least one FCO. Same with Drew. At this point it seems girls have to read his mind to give him exactly what his vague exclamations mean.

Are they saving Brendi and Christina for a very special episode on bullying?

On a more pleasant note, it was absolutely brilliant to have them do shoots alongside drag queen fierceness. Those ladies know their angles and how to bring high fashion, or whatever Drew kept screeching at the hamsters. I’m not familiar with the three Queens, but it was really cute how Jeana was so thrilled with getting to meet her favorite aside from RuPaul. And some of the really nice compliments the drag queens had to say about the girls were heartwarming. I hope the girls got to learn from them -- it seemed Liberty did.

• Love 2

it was really cute how Jeana was so thrilled with getting to meet her favorite aside from RuPaul. 

I swear my brain heard her say it was her favorite drag queen aside from Tyra!

• Love 6

Well, the camera didn't love Brendi this week, so if next week is just as bad she may be gone. She's stayed a lot longer than I thought she should, anyway.

I'm kind of rooting for Khrystyana to win, and I'd like to see Erin go far just so she gets to live the dream a bit longer.

Jeana looked really cool with all the pearls/gems (or whatever those were) stuck to her scalp. Almost makes me want to shave my own head.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 3

I've never really understood what an activist really is.  As far as I can tell, it means that the person just shouts down all opposing views and calls people who disagree with them bullies.  And they use words like 'microaggressions' and 'cisgender'.  It's a load of BS basically.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Anyone else see a young Sandra Bernhardt in Kyla?

Oh YES!! Thank you, because it was bugging me and you nailed it. I don't find her particularly attractive, even in a "jolie laide" way. Perhaps it's her features which are so smooshed together.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Zima said:

I thought it was a shame that they booted Liberty when it seemed like she was learning and growing from her experience. Her photo was not the worst of the pack.

I ended up watching this on the VH1 site because Comcast has decided I don't deserve On Demand right now or something, and they had Liberty's exit interview. She is an incredibly well spoken young woman who really seemed to genuinely appreciate her time on the show. I agree that she wasn't the worst. Personally I thought the one they called second was the worst. I don't get what they liked about it at all. I did agree, though, that Krystyana's was the best. Damn that girl is photogenic. I love her more and more. Such a great personality too. I love it when the ones who are good models are also nice people. It's easier to root for them. lol

So Rio gets first call out and is now okay with the "pretty girl"? UGH So really she was just hating on Sandra because she didn't get called first and needed someone to pick on? Ugh!

I have to admit that I kind of loved the looks Christina was giving when Brendi was getting critiqued. I don't actually like either of them, but I prefer Christina because she just seems more delusional than cruel while Brendi always seems like she's looking for a fight.

• Love 7

With the exception of Krystyana, all the girls got outclassed by 3 men in wigs and makeup.  Most of the reason was the gown choices, though.  The Queens were in white, so all of the "princesses" should have been in gold, ivory, or silver.  Krystyana really looked like she could be Katya's daughter! 

Sandra's dress was horrible and there was nothing done with her hair. Kyla had those feathers around her neck. Liberty looked like she wanted to make out with Katya. Christina's hair is still the worst.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 1

The models bare it all in a nude photoshoot unlike ever before; the contestants create an anti-bullying PSA for the National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) which triggers deep, dark secrets from each of the models' past.

3 hours ago, dleighg said:
10 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Kyla had those feathers around her neck

and she got criticized for it!

Yeah, I love how they were all "it's your fault you have no neck". No, it's the fault of whoever stuck her in that ridiculous feathered monstrosity. I will give, I think it was Tyra, credit for at least giving her an idea of how she should have fixed it, by putting her hand up and holding the feathers down. It's kind of nice when they actually give the girls tips on what they could have done rather than just, "SHOW MORE NECK!"

• Love 1

I did not think Liberty had a bad photo. And furthermore, I'm kind of tired of the "are you a model, or just a beautiful girl" Isn't the whole point of modelling about being beautiful and photogenic?

Liberty may have had different views but she wasn't obnoxious about it. I didn't find her closed off, and she took critiques very well.

I'm VERY tired of the Brendi K who either cries, or gets extremely angry every week. 

I cannot stand Law Roach who likes to mock, and makes fun of some of the girls when they are doing runway. Very mean girl. 

Edited by Ravenna
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Ravenna said:

I'm VERY tired of the Brendi K who either cries, or gets extremely angry every week. 

To me Brendi K is neither a beautiful girl nor a model. I can only assume she keeps making the cut because they want the drama.

Liberty could get there, being a model, with some coaching. She's got the natural gifts (beauty and being photogenic) needed, she just needs some help. Sadly, that's not what this show is about anymore.

Christina is annoying with her whole "I'm already a model" thing because, why the fuck are you on this show if you are so good you already have a career? Oh, wait, you suck and don't actually have a career or you'd be working and not have time to do this show. lol I do feel so bad for her though, because that hair is tragic. Seriously. That was clearly punishment for acting arrogant during the auditions or whatever they call them.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Ravenna said:

I cannot stand Law Roach who likes to mock, and makes fun of some of the girls when they are doing runway. Very mean girl. 

Him and Drew make me miss the days of Mr. and Mrs. Jay. It's like night and day.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 8

I stopped watching the show when they started including male models, but last week I heard it's all girls again and Tyra is back, so I'm catching up. I too was disappointed with Rio's behavior in this episode, since I thought she was the clear winner until now. I think she can still win if they give her some kind of "redemption" storyline. Didn't C16 winner Brittani also get a mean girl edit mid-season?

Even though Rio looks more model-esque, I'm rooting for Khrystianna. She's Russian and pale and blonde and curvy and in her 30s, like me. Taller and more photogenic than me though. ;)

I'm already beyond annoyed that Ashley always wears too-small bikini tops in her SI shoots, and now she has to parade around in too-small clothing on this show as well. That denim off-the-shoulder top was bursting at the seams. It's a shame too, because she actually looks smaller when she wears clothes that fit her, like the halter dress she wore at panel.

• Love 1

Law and the designer completely missed the point of Khrystianna's outfit at the runway challenge. They called it "Hansel and Gretel" even though she was clearly dressed like a Russian matron in a babushka and fur coat, with the risqué outfit underneath being the wink/tongue in cheek part. It was a nod to her heritage while still meeting the Pride brief. I thought part of being a fashion expert is knowing how people dress in different countries, but as I've always suspected the bar for fashion expertise on this show is very low.

I thought Liberty came across a lot more mature and open-minded than Kyla. She expressed her opinions calmly and articulately and didn't pretend she was more enlightened than anyone else. And she was able to admit that maybe some of the views she grew up with are wrong.

The photoshoots this season are ridiculous (what else is new?), first the fake baby bumps and now posing with the drag queens. I've been reading fashion magazines for over 20 years and have never seen anything like that in an editorial.

Tyra's wig at panel was terrible. It wasn't flush with her scalp and you could see her real hairline underneath. The drag queens had better wigs.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I thought Liberty came across a lot more mature and open-minded than Kyla. She expressed her opinions calmly and articulately and didn't pretend she was more enlightened than anyone else. And she was able to admit that maybe some of the views she grew up with are wrong.

Liberty impressed me a lot. I will never fault a young person for believing what they were raised to believe. Liberty acknowledged that some of her believes come from where/how she was brought up and that maybe there is something else out there. Kyla just knows she's right and that it is her job to "fix" everyone who's wrong. In her exit interview Liberty said something along the lines of appreciating hearing the other girls' POVs because it exposed her to ideas she hadn't been exposed to before. I wish she had stayed because she seems to be one of the few who was actually benefiting personally from being there. And I think she's got more modelling potential than half the ones that stayed. 

• Love 4

I wonder what Sandra is going to do here, because going nude doesn't seem like something she'd do for religious reasons. I bet Tyra will get on her case for this though, but I hope she doesn't and respects her wishes if she chooses not to do a nude photoshoot.

This s a surprisingly flat episode considering they had RuPaul’s drag queens and Pride week. I thought Liberty’s photo wasn’t that bad but clearly standing next to Kyla, she was much shorter and less “modelesque” so the choice to eliminate her was clear. I think Liberty’s edit interview was surprisingly classy, and she can probably have a good career as a commercial/fitness model after the show, rather than a “high fashion” one.

• Love 1
On 2/18/2018 at 10:07 PM, Mattipoo said:

I thought Liberty’s photo wasn’t that bad but clearly standing next to Kyla, she was much shorter and less “modelesque” so the choice to eliminate her was clear. I think Liberty’s edit interview was surprisingly classy, and she can probably have a good career as a commercial/fitness model after the show, rather than a “high fashion” one.

Agree on both counts.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, chocolatine said:

Law and the designer completely missed the point of Khrystianna's outfit at the runway challenge. They called it "Hansel and Gretel" even though she was clearly dressed like a Russian matron in a babushka and fur coat, with the risqué outfit underneath being the wink/tongue in cheek part. It was a nod to her heritage while still meeting the Pride brief. I thought part of being a fashion expert is knowing how people dress in different countries, but as I've always suspected the bar for fashion expertise on this show is very low.

I thought it was a nun, not babushka. A beautiful woman covering herself up because otherwise "she is asking for it" and "men can't control their urges".

On 2/17/2018 at 8:26 PM, chocolatine said:

Tyra's wig at panel was terrible. It wasn't flush with her scalp and you could see her real hairline underneath. The drag queens had better wigs.

Tyra's wigs have been horribly bad all season. The hair and makeup people must loathe her.

• Love 1

I think those bullying ads were supposed to be powerful or something, but I was laughing my ass off at how cheesy it was. The way it was filmed was just the most pretentious thing I've ever seen on this show. 

Not gonna miss Christina but I really, REALLY wish she'd taken Brendi with her. 

And am I the only one thinking they all got "first call out" because Tyra was the photog and they have to kiss her ass by pretending all her photos were just too amazing? Because really, no, not all those pics deserved first call. Honestly I think I only liked Krystyana and... there was another one I thought was good. Not kyla, not Brendi, not the tattooed one or Sandra, not Rio...I'm not actually sure who that leaves. But I know there was another one I thought was okay. I found the hands less supportive and more "we're dragging you down into the depths of hell" so this shoot was kind of me to me.

I did think Brendi and Christina both looked better without makeup. Rio looked about the same. Sandra looked like she was wearing a ton of makeup. 

Also, Krystyana broke me cold, dead heart. Damn. 

• Love 22

Is it just models or has an entire generation of people been bullied, abused, sexually assaulted, hated by their parents or neglected, grown up in poverty, have sexual identity issues or suffered the death of a loved one?  This is one sad group of individuals.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Is it just models or has an entire generation of people been bullied, abused, sexually assaulted, hated by their parents or neglected, grown up in poverty, have sexual identity issues or suffered the death of a loved one?  This is one sad group of individuals.

I dunno, I think these things are fairly universal.  I never felt pretty...neither parent ever said so, and my brother's nickname for me (at school, mind you) was Moose.  Now, 40 years past high school old friends tell me I was one of the cutest girls in our school.  My mother also died when I was 15, and my dad remarried quickly to a woman who was so despicable, she made us bathe in the lake.  During cold weather, we got one shower a week...ONE.

My own daughter had divorced parents, a sibling who despised her and eventually disowned us all, and grew up in the working poor class.  There was also a girl in her sixth grade classroom who tormented her so mercilessly that the girl was eventually expelled.

I think there are probably relatively few people who make it through childhood and adolescence unscathed.

Edited by Marmiarmo
Capitalization
  • Love 15
On 2/16/2018 at 12:08 PM, Ravenna said:

I did not think Liberty had a bad photo. And furthermore, I'm kind of tired of the "are you a model, or just a beautiful girl" Isn't the whole point of modelling about being beautiful and photogenic?

For a commercial model, yes.

For a high fashion model, no.  Google Sasha Pivovarova, who's been a wildly popular high fashion model for more than a decade (always starring in Prada campaigns, for example) and is not a conventionally photogenic person but rather a great model.

The only people I've had interest in this season are Coura (the most modelesque, I think), Rio, and Jeana.  The rest honestly, there's no point.  Huge disappointment casting wise.  Last season's cast with Rita was so much better.  I don't get why Law keeps claiming that Kyla is bookable.  She's just young, that is IT.

But I honestly do straight up love her activism, 100%.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

The photo they picked for Erin did not match what we saw in the shoot at all. I really thought we were going to see a better picture of her because she seemed to be doing very well in the actual shoot.  Tyra really is a very good photographer. 

That's all I've got this week.

• Love 6

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Kind of sad that judging by the previews, by next episode all the messages of support seem to fall by the wayside.

Khrystyana just keeps getting better and better for me. She's reminding me of India, a dark horse, super nice to everyone, and does well in all the challenges. Her story broke me.

Why did they critique Erin's hair in the photo when I'm pretty sure that wasn't her idea to do that.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, Ravenna said:

Tyra's wigs have been horribly bad all season. The hair and makeup people must loathe her.

Which makes it a shame that Raja wasn't one of the queens in the photoshoot because he used to do makeup for ANTM. However, he also played Tyra on Snatch Game and Tyra famously has no sense of humor (she used to make her lawyers write cease and desist letters to The Soup despite parody being protected speech).

• Love 1
On 2/16/2018 at 12:08 PM, Ravenna said:

I don't think so. Exhibit A: Stacey McKenzie which I have trouble getting my head around.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Well, they are the type of girls who would then desperately seek out validation through modeling, social media, constantly dating losers, etc. I think the more well adjusted types would look to something a bit more interesting than famewhoreing on a lame reality show with a modeling theme. I think one of the main prerequisites of getting on this, or any reality show really, is a total lack of actual self worth. Some of these chicks may think quite highly of themselves on the surface (Christina) but inside they are all just desperate for validation from strangers to prove they are worth something. That is just the world we live in now. You are nothing if you don't have followers and likes and hits from total strangers.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Zima said:

Great. More tears for Tyra to bathe in. She really gets off on getting people to break down. 

She's abusive, I have felt like this since the show began

11 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I dunno, I think these things are fairly universal.  

I agree, universal, but not everyone talks about it - so people don't realize how universal it is.  (Nothing wrong with talking about it in my opinion - just agreeing with you.)

• Love 9

Not that I'd ever be on this show, but I don't think I'd be as open as some of the contestants here. Vulnerability is one thing, but I don't think I could ever talk about my private issues on the show.

7 hours ago, Zima said:

Great. More tears for Tyra to bathe in. She really gets off on getting people to break down. 

She feeds on the tears of the models here.

• Love 6

Every week I like Khrystyana more, so the only suspense I'm feeling is when she will get derailed, at least temporarily. I'm over Rio, I think she just isn't nice under it all. Still like Jeana and want her to make it to the final.

My daughter and I were watching and had a discussion on what bullying really is. I think everyone has had their feelings hurt and felt put down in their lifetime, but is that really what bullying means? If so, it's become a huge umbrella term for any time someone does or says something unkind. I'm not saying that particular action *isn't* bullying, but I thought this whole PSA thing was a stretch and encouraged the girls to dwell on negative feelings.

Even though I am glad Christina left, I feel like she's been edited to look like public enemy #1. When Tyra called out the first seven names and left the two standing there and said something like, "For the first time in ANTM history..." I thought she was going to say, "Two girls are going home at the same time," and I was already saying, "No, it's not the first time!" when she said they all tied for best pic. Then I was kinda bummed both Christina and Erin didn't go home. I like Erin and agree she didn't have her best picture shown, but I think she will go home before long. I kinda cringed at the coldness of her reveal, that she left the dying father of her child because she couldn't deal.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ForReal said:

I kinda cringed at the coldness of her reveal, that she left the dying father of her child because she couldn't deal.

I don't care for Erin, but I couldn't handle that revelation. Was she expecting sympathy? Because what she did is one of the cruelest things I can think of to do to another human being. 

• Love 11