Type keyword(s) to search

Season 24 Discussion

Does anyone ever give these poor girls any direction other than "Work it" or "Give me more"?  What does that even mean?  I got so tired listening to that director yelling the most useless directions to the most useless "models".  Poor old Erin...what exactly was so "90s" about her video?  Seems like the other hamsters were echoing old videos too because, seriously, what the heck is a 2018 video without tons of CGI?

• Love 4

The top 13 are summoned to a screen test by Hollywood Director Anthony Hemingway in order to compete for a walk-on role in one of his projects. Later, nightmares come alive as the models participate in a dark, grueling, horror-inspired photoshoot.

I am in love with Rio and Jeana! They both look FIERCE after their makeovers, and neither of them are drama queens. Liz can get the eff off my screen any day now. Agree with the assessment that Tyra is trolling Christina with that horrible green-hair-black-roots. How is that supposed to be high fashion? And Liberty's hair is barely even strawberry blonde; not red, and definitely not ginger (or fire crotch).

And Ivana was a total mess. But really, how hard would it have been to have given her some very simple, but very necessary, and real direction? Like... put your chin down! Her entire shoot was looking straight up her nose. They tell these girls to practice and "learn your angles," but so rarely offer useful critique. 

Oh, and yeah. Law still sounds like a junior-high dropout with a heart of gold, but he looks fine without all that hair.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

I made a similar comment before. Drew is the worst at this. He thinks he's giving advice by basically screaming "MODEL HARDER" at them. Crikey, I hope they're getting some useful instruction.

I don't think they're getting much instruction. Mr. Jay use to give some pointers, but Drew will mention something to the camera but not really to the girls. Last week he mentioned that Sandra knows how to pose when she's controlling the camera, but not when someone else is doing it. It was an insightful bit of commentary between instragram models and regular models, but it's clear that no one is saying anything to her since she continues to flounder around and will probably be out next week.

• Love 2

What's with all the screaming during the video shoot? Why does the world of fashion take itself so seriously? The Self importance of this industry is insufferable. Its fashion for crying out loud. ..Not NATO or disaster relief or World Peace.

• Love 7

Wasn’t surprised White Homegirl was cut first.

is it just me or does Brendi K look a lot like C8 Renee? She even has the same sob story of being homeless and living out of her car.

Jeana is gorgeous but she is also under 5 feet 7, and has no hair. I doubt she will win since a Pantene campaign is one of the prizes this cycle.

Erin the 42 year old looks dead in the eyes in her photo to me. She screams “pretty housewife at the mall” to me, not a model. So I am sure she will be dragged all the way to the finals by Tyra.

I am rooting for Rio, Krystyna and Coura.

Edited by Mattipoo

I have to say that, in however many (too many!) seasons this show has been on the air, seeing what Drew and Law did was probably the first genuine moment that I've witnessed.  Which is kind of sad for the show.  But it really was a touching moment and made me admire both of them greatly.

• Love 10

Poor Ivana! I literally cringed and then LOLed when they showed her video. Girl does not know how to model at all! Her “blue steel” faces were truly comic gold. But she is a beautiful girl so I hope she goes on to get some actual modeling training.

I feel bad for Shanice having psoriasis, but she doesn’t look like a model to me at all. Law’s pep talk to her at panel was great. She reminds me of C4 Tiffany who let her own insecurities get to her.

Jeana is very beautiful without her wig. However since Pantene is a sponsor of the show, I wonder a winner without hair might be an issue for them.

My early favorites are Rio and Coura.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 7

I can't tell what the fuck is going on in these shoots. I miss the Jay Manuel shoots, where you got to see a good bit of how the girl was actually doing and Jay would give specific instruction like: your eyes are dead or watch what you are doing with your hands or whatever. Now it is like super quick cuts and people screaming "WORK!" and "BE SEXY!" 

It was very cool of Drew to show his vitiligo in support of Jeana, but I don't get the disconnect where they are telling her just to be who she is and stop covering it up.... when he actually covers it up every single day and will continue to do so!  

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Token said:

I have to say that, in however many (too many!) seasons this show has been on the air, seeing what Drew and Law did was probably the first genuine moment that I've witnessed.  Which is kind of sad for the show.  But it really was a touching moment and made me admire both of them greatly.

4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

It was very cool of Drew to show his vitiligo in support of Jeana, but I don't get the disconnect where they are telling her just to be who she is and stop covering it up.... when he actually covers it up every single day and will continue to do so! 

Thanks—this helped me appreciate better why this episode moved me so much.

There wasn’t a disconnect for me. For a show that promotes using your physical appearance to get fame/work, the reveal of one’s vitiligo or alopecia was sensitively presented as another viable option for beauty.

For me, Jeana was given another choice other than her life-long shame and compulsion to hide the effects of alopecia. It’s now a conscious choice to wear wigs or headwear to be a better model if that’s what the editorial vision calls for, and not because she feels less-than a model who doesn’t have alopecia. It’s a radical shift in self-image and self-acceptance that’s empowering and inspirational.

Drew has the same choice. The foundation he wears is another accessory and deliberate choice, much like the cosmetics that most people wear to feel more beautiful and confident. Now that he’s revealed what he looks like barefaced, literally on national TV, I hope the use of foundation is no longer about hiding how he looks, but about enhancing his appearance.

I think Jeana, Law and Drew were incredibly courageous.

• Love 5

Nice to see ANTM is keeping up the tradition of having the judges never, ever give any constructive or actionable advice or direction.  I really didn’t like director X since it just seems like he kind of screamed ”yeah!” a whole bunch of times and that was it for his direction. 

• Love 7
On 1/28/2018 at 10:48 AM, TVbitch said:

disconnect where they are telling her just to be who she is and stop covering it up.... when he actually covers it up every single day and will continue to do so!  

I think they see that Jeana cannot "open" up and "Model Harder(!)" without dealing with her insecurity about her hair.  They're not here to settle their own issues which they probably came to grips with much earlier in their own careers/lives. It's Top Model not Top Judge, (lol)!

• Love 2

I'm glad Liz chose to go home. She seemed like she might be bipolar. But without sleep, I don't know his these models look fresh in the morning.

Krystiana was cute in the acting segment, but papi?

I was feeling sad for Rhiyan, up until the end, then she seemed to scoff at the rest. 

Edited by NeverLate
  • Love 9

I agree about Kim. She did the responsible thing by leaving an environment that was in her words so “toxic” for her, and also acknowledging/apologizing for making a  pretty messed up comment about Brendi’s family. Plus, I have to give her kudos for namechecking John Waters. But, it was hard to see her in so much emotional pain. I really hope she gets the help she needs. (Brendi too)

FWIW, I thought the pink hair and cut really suited Kim.

Bravo for Krystiana and Shanice! This bodes well for their post-ANTM acting careers, especially as once again the girls were thrown in with minimal guidance on how to act (that we were shown.) With actual training those two could go really far, ala Eva Pigford and Yaya DaCosta.

I loved the shoot, it was very W magazine. Is “Twisted Horror” really a thing?  

As in both challenges, it was good to hear commentary from the guests and Drew. Although I have to admit-- it was a bit random to hear the director talk about the girls' pent-up sexual frustration. I wished he could have talked about how the sexual frustration, or any feeling, could be used in their acting, as opposed to making a pretty obvious statement and ultimately useless generalization.

Tyra looked very nice tonight at judging. Big contrast to how she looked in the previously, where I wished for a Law Intervention.

• Love 3

So apparently Rio can choose to style her wonky eyebrow two ways. I'm still digging it 

Liz was so dang pretty when she wasn't speaking.

I never understood the Cora love and it bugs me that I can see her bottom gums when she speaks. Still glad she stayed over what's her name.

Krystyana has been my favorite since day one. Is she genuine? Sometimes she seems too "on". I hope she's as sweet as she seems.

Liberty looks like Ke$ha and Brendi kay is TRASH. That's all I've got for now.

• Love 6

Can't say I'm going to miss Liz. Wish Brendi had gone as well.

Krystyana is freaking adorable! She nailed that acting thing and the Eskimo kiss at the end was the cutest thing I have ever witnessed on this show. I'm so glad she won. I wasn't sure about her at first but she is winning me over.

I kind of like the whole Marilyn Manson esthetic, so I enjoyed this photo shoot. Krystyana's photo was absolutely hauntingly stunning. Yay her. The one, don't know her name, the girl who was sitting in the chair just staring at the camera, that photo was awesome too. (Tall, light skinned, young, long wavy/curly hair)

I'm still team Rio, who is stunning, and Coura, who is totally the new Grace Jones, but needs to do something.

8 hours ago, butterbody said:

Liberty looks like Ke$ha and Brendi kay is TRASH. That's all I've got for now.

I cannot agree more, so I'm just quoting you.

• Love 2

Part of me says Good for you Liz for being self -aware enough to leave an environment that was pushing your buttons and threatening your mental health. You musta got some meds cuz apparently, you got signed and were in Nylon mag. Recently. Now take that shoot money and get your shit together. You are cute.

• Love 6

After a while Liz' voice took on the Charlie Brown's teacher's "wah-wah-wah" sound like wallpaper. Can they keep cutting to her random bat-sh#t rants for the remainder of the season?

Tyra sure knew to subtly suggest "YOUR MENTAL HEALTH" as a cause for concern. Bye Lizzie!

• Love 1

I still don't like Brendi K. Liz wasn't good, but Brendi just seems mean for the sake of being mean. I know that Liz said a horrible thing, but there's something about Brendi that I just don't like. Shanice was feeling good, but she was pushing Liz's buttons too. I didn't like that.

At least Liz was self aware enough to leave the competition for the sake of her mental well being. I just wish we got to see her best photo, since the designer loved her and it looked like she did well there. I did read that she didn't quit though, but was threatened by one of the girls and the producers suggested that Liz leave. Liberty also made a post that Liz was bullied a lot in the house as well. At least she's signed with Nylon though, so I'm glad she's doing well. Hopefully she's finding more peace off the show than in it.

Rio is fantastic and I love that she's always giving pep talks to the other girls. The preview makes it look like she's bashing Sandra, but I'm hoping she's just trying to boost her confidence and stop seeing herself as bad. I really hope that's the case, because it's nice that there's someone on the show who is trying to help the girls and not break them. Khrystyana is like this too, but she's more of the comforter while Rio is the one to who hypes you up. I'm a little worried about next week though, so Rio please don't let me down.

I kind of wish Law kept his wig off during the duration of the show, not only because he looked better without it, but it would have sent an even stronger message.

• Love 12

I don't think Liz needs this contest. She works all the time. Honestly, does any one ever get any Real Direction from this show? Its a Carnival trick. Rarely do winners get booked. 

Except Brittani

Just now, Nancypants said:

I don't think Liz needs this contest. She works all the time. Honestly, or a any one ever get any Real Direction from this show? Its a Carnival trick. Rarely do winners get booked. 

Except Brittani

Edited by Nancypants
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I did read that she didn't quit though, but was threatened by one of the girls and the producers suggested that Liz leave.

That disgusts me. Tell the asshole who threatened her to leave. Gah, this show!!!!

• Love 13

I hate house drama.  With Liz gone, maybe there'll be a little less of it.

Khrystyana deserved that first call-out.  I would've put Brendi second, but Jeana's photo was also great.  I'd have put Shanice in the bottom - her photo was lousy but she's fodder anyway and will be gone soon enough, hopefully.  Coura's photo was bad, but I'm glad she's still there since I think she's got more potential than a lot of the others.

• Love 1

I won't miss Liz and her perpetually drunk sounding voice. 

I thought Shaniece was robbed on the acting challenge. She was the most natural. Meanwhile, Khrystyana seemed awkward. Although to be fair, the majority of them were terrible. I know the director was being nice when he said it was hard to pick a winner.

I like Coura. She's the most model-y of the bunch, but she was driving me mad last night. The photoshoot was horror themed. Why are you confused about the direction to be scared? Then to say, "I guess we were supposed to act scared." Girl!!! 

Tyra does these girls a disservice with these weaves. They're so poorly maintained and all of them end up looking a mess. 

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 4

Not sorry to see Rhiyan go. Her attitude was so stank at the end.

Hope Liz gets the psychiatric help she needs. And also gets rid of that horrible pink hair.

Krystyna is my favorite. I hope she goes far. As a plus size model she is definitely much better than C10 Whitney.

I kept thinking Jeana reminds me of someone and I finally figured it out. Ongina from RuPaul’s Drag Race season 1! She had the same petite figure with bald head and was fierce as heck. https://www.instagram.com/ongina/?hl=en

The female Marilyn Manson looking designer was hilarious. Loved her snarky comments about the hamsters.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

I thought Shaniece was robbed on the acting challenge. She was the most natural.

That's interesting because I didn't find her natural at all. I know they just about peed themselves over her lame adlibs, but she stunk of trying too hard to me. Doesn't help she looks like a crack addict to me. Too skinny, like drug addict skinny and her hair, they really should have done something with her hair.

21 minutes ago, Mattipoo said:

I kept thinking Jeana reminds me of someone and I finally figured it out. Ongina from RuPaul’s Drag Race season 1!

OMG!!! Totally!!!!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I did read that she didn't quit though, but was threatened by one of the girls and the producers suggested that Liz leave.

There's also a rumor that since Liz left the house to go a hotel (probably a contract violation), that she was disqualified but the show covered it up to make it look like she left.  Also, Brendi K was supposedly the girl who physically threatened her.

I don't get why TPTB didn't kick Brendi K out.  I get these shows want drama but threatening someone?  How is that okay?  Also, re: Liz and Brendi K, neither seems all that stable.  Remember back in the earlier cycles when the girls had to pass psych eval?  What happened to that or does VH1 simply not care?

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Krystyana is freaking adorable! She nailed that acting thing and the Eskimo kiss at the end was the cutest thing I have ever witnessed on this show. I'm so glad she won. I wasn't sure about her at first but she is winning me over.

Was it Shaniece who said that if she'd known she was allowed to kiss him, she would have done it.  I don't think she understood what a butterfly kiss was.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Was it Shaniece who said that if she'd known she was allowed to kiss him, she would have done it.  I don't think she understood what a butterfly kiss was.

Yeah, I think that was her, the runner up for the acting challenge. Thing is, no one told Krystyana she could do that, she was just living in the moment. I think that's why she felt so real to me. She was basically real life flirting with the guy. lol

• Love 5
1 hour ago, milkyaqua said:

There's also a rumor that since Liz left the house to go a hotel (probably a contract violation), that she was disqualified but the show covered it up to make it look like she left.  Also, Brendi K was supposedly the girl who physically threatened her.

I don't get why TPTB didn't kick Brendi K out.  I get these shows want drama but threatening someone?  How is that okay?  Also, re: Liz and Brendi K, neither seems all that stable.  Remember back in the earlier cycles when the girls had to pass psych eval?  What happened to that or does VH1 simply not care?

I think if Brendi had actually physically threatened Liz, TPTB would've removed her.  They did it with one of the male contestants in a previous cycle.

1 minute ago, NeverLate said:

Nice photo of LIz. I like Liberty..

Eh, she definitely missed the boat on the 'scared' aspect of the shoot, at least in that photo.

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

That's interesting because I didn't find her natural at all. I know they just about peed themselves over her lame adlibs, but she stunk of trying too hard to me. Doesn't help she looks like a crack addict to me. Too skinny, like drug addict skinny and her hair, they really should have done something with her hair.

OMG!!! Totally!!!!!

Plus, I don't think real casting directors are big on improvising lines when you're auditioning for a part.

• Love 3

I was getting sick of hearing Liz crying and whining, but I think she was not edited to look like she was being bullied. I believe that if someone was physically threatening her, they should have been asked to leave as well.  This certainly is a high strung bunch of ladies or maybe I just don't remember all the drama cause I stopped watching when Tyra left.

I'm actually not happy Ryhan was eliminated. She was beautiful and deserved to stay in the competition more than other girls who made the cut. Especially given her last statement about how bad she feels about herself. I don't think she needed this, on top of everything. But I love Coura as well, so I just think it's wrong her and Ryhan were the bottom two.

In my opinion, Kyla is still the most unique and model-esque contestant, or, as Law said, the most bookable, so I think she's either going to win or be a runner up to Krystyana.

Also, Liz might've been a complete nutcase, but her photo was by far the best of the bunch. And this competition is not called America's next Sweetheart, so it's not like you need to get along with everybody to stay in the competition. I'm not sure why Tyra basically told her "yeah okay, leave if you want to" when I'm sure she could've convinced her to stay if she really wanted to.

• Love 1

Kyla! She's the one who's picture I LOVED. Hers and Krystyana's. 

Looking at those pictures again, I'd have put Shanice and Sandra (who the hell is Sandra? I had no idea there was a Sandra) in the bottom two. They both just look lost. Erin could be down there too, for the same reason...lost. 

I think I would have gotten rid of Shanice, but she did well on the acting challenge so if that still matters I'd have to boot Sandra. 

Rio's picture is drag-tastic! 

• Love 1

Yay for my girl Krystyana! She was my fav from auditions and I was sad they have been glossing over her. The girl is all kinds of adorbs. 

I’m  torn on Liz situation. Yes she was annoying with her crying and complaining. Some things were OTT (why anyone needs to let you take the shower before them?) but I would cut a “beech” if anyone was being loud and obnoxious when ppl (mainly I lol) are sleeping. “Saying shut up to ppl is so rude!” Bitch please! Being loud and inconsiderate of others at 1 am is even more rude. And if she really was threatened  wtf are producers thinking? A guy who hit someone was sent home in a New York minute but bullying and emotional abuse is ok?

I really liked Liberty’s photo. I hate it that I like her work so much lol

• Love 2

Looks like ANTM has taken down Liz's photo after her instagram post about being physically threatened.  

Two of the other girls have backed up her story about being bullied in the house and, oh look, Brendi has been arrested for violating a restraining order.  She has a history of violence including coming at someone with a knife.  

Shame on ANTM for casting someone with a history of violence knowing she'd be put in close and stressful living quarters with other girls.  Shame on them again for either casting a girl with a mental illness and not properly screening for it, or for allowing intense bullying to happen, or both, and for apparently siding with the abuser.  Further shame for not having Tyra or anyone acknowledge that Rhiyan all but admitted to having a dangerous eating disorder. No "health and well being" conversation for her.

Also, Ekaterina Belinskaya shows up and introduces her photo challenge with some insipid babble about pain and fear and dressed like a stale Marilyn Manson cosplayer from 20 years ago complete with that stupid contact lens.  Don't even get me started on "Papi."

What a sucky episode.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 16

I am not a fan of Shanice but I cracked up at Stacie's and Anthony's reactions to her audition.

Krystianna and Rio are my top two at this point, everyone else can go scratch.

7 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Looks like ANTM has taken down Liz's photo after her instagram post about being physically threatened.  

Two of the other girls have backed up her story about being bullied in the house and, oh look, Brendi has been arrested for violating a restraining order.  She has a history of violence including coming at someone with a knife.  

Shame on ANTM for casting someone with a history of violence knowing she'd be put in close and stressful living quarters with other girls.  Shame on them again for either casting a girl with a mental illness and not properly screening for it, or for allowing intense bullying to happen, or both, and for apparently siding with the abuser.  Further shame for not having Tyra or anyone acknowledge that Rhiyan all but admitted to having a dangerous eating disorder. No "health and well being" conversation for her.

I agree, they should have been more on top of that. 

• Love 1

I still wanted to see Liz's picture, dang it! When she said something to the effect that lack of sleep can make her "emotionally destabilized" that lingo tells me she has known mental health issues that she probably is treating but whatever was going on in the house was causing her to backslide. Bummer, but she did the right thing. 

I wish they would zoom in to show face close-ups of all the pictures like they use too. 

Law Roach looked better without the wig, I was hoping he would keep his new look. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Also, Ekaterina Belinskaya shows up and introduces her photo challenge with some insipid babble about pain and fear and dressed like a stale Marilyn Manson cosplayer from 20 years ago complete with that stupid contact lens.  Don't even get me started on "Papi."

What a sucky episode.

Okay, well the additional info is quite illuminating, and makes me revise my initial take.  If Brendi (or anyone else) did physically threaten Liz, then she should've been kicked out rather than Liz leaving, and if the producers had evidence of bullying (which they should've given how many cameras are all over the house), the result should've been the same.  It's my impression that the producers used to screen more thoroughly for mental health issues, although I could be wrong.  We've seen cray-cray, but the uptick in potential violence has only been in the last couple of years.

And yes, I was surprised that nothing was said to Rhiyan about her health, other than Rio speculating about a body dysmorphic disorder.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It's my impression that the producers used to screen more thoroughly for mental health issues, although I could be wrong. 

They did but that seems to have been pre-VH1.  C8 Jaslene was screened for C6 or C7 and told to come back when she was "healthier" after the abusive relationship she had with an ex.

As far as photos (including Liz's) for this epi, try the TFS page or the all-antm.net/ site.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1

With the help of beauty and social media guru Patrick Starr and Ashley Graham, the models dare to be different by creating vlogs and images that maximize their beauty and have the potential to go viral.