Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Wake Up

Trini
  • Start Topic

CHAD LOWE RETURNS TO DIRECT; BETTY BUCKLEY GUEST STARS - When Winn and the team discover an alien ship has crash landed deep underwater beneath National City, Kara/Supergirl is called in to investigate. Meanwhile, Hank attempts to bond with his father, Myr'nn (guest star Carl Lumbly). Samantha, eager for some understanding of the changes she has been experiencing, looks to her estranged mother, Patricia Arias (guest star Betty Buckley), for answers.

Chad Lowe directed the episode written by Gabriel Llanas and Anna Musky-Goldwyn.

spg307a_0624b.jpg

Edited by The Crazed Spruce
Pinned and locked

Let me see if I've got this straight:

1. Supergirl blows a significant amount of its budget on a major helicopter shot - and then follows this up by reusing a barely redressed set from the White Martian episode a few weeks back - with some added props from Arrow?  

2. Samantha never once noticed the spaceship in the back shed even though it was only covered up with a cloth?  She never once tried to look under the cloth? Did her annoying adoptive mother try to claim that it was just a boat or something? 

3. Mon-El, given ample opportunity to tell Kara that a) from his perspective, it's been seven years, and b) he's married, both on his sickbed and in the jail cell, fails to tell her a damn thing, instead choosing to a) knock out a couple of DEO agents, b) force one of her friends to go behind her back and c) force her to find out about his marriage in the most hurtful way possible?

In general, I'm not nearly as against Mon-El as many of you are, but if this episode was meant to make me cheer him on, it kinda failed. 

• Love 17

I basically enjoyed this episode, with all of its fairly predictable twists and turns.  One thing that really bugged, though, was the odd, inexplicable switch-offs between Kara in her Supergirl uniform and civilian clothes in the DEO scenes.  What the heck was that about?  Can't wait to see what role the Legion of Super-Heroes plays in upcoming episodes.  Maybe to help Kara bring down Reign?

Edited by Winston Wolfe
Unspoiled Legion of Super-Heroes sincce everyone pretty much knows they're here now.
  • Love 1

There was no good reason for Mon-El to not come out and ask for help right from the start.   If he was really willing to risk everyone's life just to avoid the awkward conversation with Kara then he's the biggest coward the show has ever had.  Heck, he didn't even have to mention the whole Titan Girl thing until after everything was stabilized. 

It's also weird how Kara keeps switching between her civvies and Supergirl costume at the DEO.  I'm assuming everyone there knows her civilian ID by now so just pick one and stick to it.

• Love 15

just a couple of quick things:

first and foremost......if Mon-El has been in the 31st century why isn't he wearing his Valor costume or at least be wearing a Legion ring? We know for a fact that the Legion exists in the future since we clearly saw a ring displayed prominently in the Fortress of  Solitude

Speaking of the Fortress...it was a nice touch when Sam created the Anti-Fortress in the desert just like Clark did in the classic original movie.

and finally, my first thought when Mon called the girl Nura was  "Wow, Shadow Lass!!" followed immediately by  "aw shit,  that means Kara is screwed". Kara just can't catch a break. she should just give Winn a shot.

• Love 9

I laughed my head off at Mon El having a new wife... I think ill enjoy this version much better as hes nit going to be all up under and in kara's ish... And it'll be fun to see kara all jealous... Cuz no way is the cw gonna let that not happen... Add to that James is abt to start messing with lena and poor kara is gonna be really thinking about her life choices soon... Poor sam.. She never had a chance... 

• Love 2

While I’m glad Mon el seems taken you just know with the CW that somehow a tragic incident will happen to get Mon and Kara back on. Meanwhile we have to have a stupid triangle with Kara once again obsessed with having a boyfriend. 

I hope Mon el marriage sticks and nothing happens to his wife to free him up. I also hope he and the Legion don’t suddenly take up story time from Kara. I get the feeling he knows a possible future about to happen and decided to rescue Kara.

So either they have lousy time travel in the future or this ship had a huge failure to trap them so far back in the past.

Isn’t having a huge geo structure show up in the desert a dead give away? Superman got away with it because it’s a common site in the North Pole, no one is going to clue in. But a rocky structure like this suddenly springing up in the middle of a flat desert and no one is going to notice this?

So I guess they didn’t want to blow their fx concerning Reign, and just gave her the voice, eye and black costume budget package. Because black means eeeevilll. I was really thinking she was going to morph into a semi resemblance to the comic character.

How did Sam go from a struggling single mom to well off CFO who from earlier comments in the show was looking after Lena’s various businesses for some time it seems. She had to have gotten at least a Bachelor in business or even a masters and then shot near the top of L Corp to get where she is. Lena is a very good friend if she promoted her so fast.

Edited by rtms77
  • Love 3

And now kara will know what its like to see someone you really cared about move on to someone new super quick and have it in your face all the time... And i bet we still wont get that James and kara talk abt how she ghosted him to "find herself" only to be obsessed with the hunky white alien like a day later

• Love 12

Can we say what Imra represents? Or is that comic spoiler talk? I'm intrigued, but I'm also disappointed by this series getting Imra and those associated with her.

Apparently, whatever Mon went through in the future didn't improve his brain. Then again, the ship was supposed to be really old. Maybe Mon, Imra and . . . the others . . . got stuck in stasis for the past whatever years, and Mon's mind kinda went out to where common sense went out the window. I hope Kara is okay with Imra in general, in the sense that the man had needs. Also, he's a Daxamite, and they seem to be prone to acting like buttheads.

Here's what I imagine is going through a casual fan's mind. "Huh. So, basically, whasherface is Reverse Superman, where she's supposed to be a bad guy, and her 'Fortress of Sanctuary' is in the desert. Seems interesting, and I want to see what hap- SHIT!!! EPIC CROSSOVER TOMORROW NEXT WEEK!!!" After this season, I call on a moratorium on strange visitors from other planets taking lead in the arcs. I mean, The Flash doesn't have a speedster antagonist this season . . .

Watching J'onn and F'ather was a bit painful. Nobody at the DEO can give him whatever Earth 101 education Mon received last year?

• Love 1

Not even wading into the Mon-El situation.

I loved the formation of the desert Fortress.

Look, I know no one likes Ruby, but that still doesn't mean I want her to die of starvation/neglect or get terrorized by Psycho!Mom. Hopefully one of those so-called aunties will check up on her??

• Love 3

I have to agree with everyone else who mentioned it. I found Kara's wardrobe at the DEO weirdly distracting in this episode. Everyone there probably knows Kara Danvers is Supergirl so there is no reason she can't wear her civvies if she wants but why in the world was she wearing her glasses? She only needs to do that as a disguise around people who don't know her secret identity.

For some reason, I laughed particularly hard at the way Mon-El couldn't break the glass on the stasis tube, then Kara just sort of rolled her eyes, nudged him out of the way and did it kind of casually.

Sam getting her own Fortress was interesting (I really liked it being the opposite of the FoS in every way). But considering she is supposed to be Kara's enemy and not Kal-El's and Kara doesn't have her own Fortress, it seems kind of narratively out of place.

Doesn't Ruby even existing confirm that, at least in this continuity, Kryptonians and humans can interbreed?

And while I'm on the subject, I also find it amusing the bad guys plans were derailed for so long just because Sam had sex. If she hadn't does that mean she would have gotten her powers while Kara was still asleep in her pod and ended up Superman's enemy?

• Love 12

Uh... I knew there would be conflict with Mon El, but I know this surprise wife thing has happened before on another series, probably several before, but I can’t think what show I’m thinking of... 

I’m curious how they ended up on earth way in the past and who the rest of the people are, so I guess it at least is sort of interesting. 

The reign stuff still isn’t my favorite, but the fortress thing was neat... though more likely to be discovered since it appears to be somewhere in a random US desert.  I also laughed at the spaceship in the barn... seriously... hide that shit!

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Watching J'onn and F'ather was a bit painful.

Amen to that.

1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

I laughed my head off at Mon El having a new wife... I think ill enjoy this version much better as hes nit going to be all up under and in kara'sish...

Kara's ish?  What is anish, LOL?  I enjoyed Mon-El's portion of the show, and especially enjoyed Winn finally getting something to do.  Good scene between Kara and Mon-El on the balcony.  Oh, and did anyone else think that brief scene btwn James and Kara was going to address their never-talked-about feelings from Season 1?  Fooled again, though I thought they had the perfect opportunity.  Just a few sentences was all they needed to put that puppy to bed once and for all, but still not happening.

I felt really let down with this latest installment of the Reign saga.  It's not that I care about the character, because I just don't think the writers have done a good job telling her story at all all.  But just when all her boring backstory progresses to a boiling point with her own little Fortress, her body or mind or whatever is now taken over instead of watching her fight it.  Now she's the villian all of a sudden.  Why the hell did they waste our time...they should have just made her that in the first place, with just a little scene here or there of backstory.  Didn't need 7 episodes to get us there.  

• Love 3

Not a good advertisement for Cadillac to show one of their vehicles breaking down after a couple of hours on the road.

Sam's path to Reign is odd. She decides to see her earth mother after so many years of not talking and was lucky this woman overcame her hesitation to show her the ship/crystal. Then a hologram tells her about missing her calling in her teens due to giving birth, informs her she will be hated, and turns on the Reign switch after a brief chat. Those people that created her may have missed out on the Worldkiller if it wasn't for a "how did a bullet bounce of my side" curiosity.  

In the Flash, we see people get hit with dark matter, accept/embrace their powers in 3 weeks, and show off in no time (except for the crying guy). Sam gets shot/not injured, tries to burn her hand, lifts metal off her daughter and still is in disbelief/confusion after all that. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Miss Dee said:

Look, I know no one likes Ruby, but that still doesn't mean I want her to die of starvation/neglect or get terrorized by Psycho!Mom. Hopefully one of those so-called aunties will check up on her??

She has no problem going to Tess' house uninvited for dinner. Ruby will be fine.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, quarks said:

Let me see if I've got this straight:

1. Supergirl blows a significant amount of its budget on a major helicopter shot - and then follows this up by reusing a barely redressed set from the White Martian episode a few weeks back - with some added props from Arrow?  

2. Samantha never once noticed the spaceship in the back shed even though it was only covered up with a cloth?  She never once tried to look under the cloth? Did her annoying adoptive mother try to claim that it was just a boat or something? 

3. Mon-El, given ample opportunity to tell Kara that a) from his perspective, it's been seven years, and b) he's married, both on his sickbed and in the jail cell, fails to tell her a damn thing, instead choosing to a) knock out a couple of DEO agents, b) force one of her friends to go behind her back and c) force her to find out about his marriage in the most hurtful way possible?

In general, I'm not nearly as against Mon-El as many of you are, but if this episode was meant to make me cheer him on, it kinda failed. 

Seriously, how many Betta fish spaceships were launched from Krypton during it's final days -- we're up to 3 (4 if you count Mon-El's ship launched from Daxam) ?  And how come all these space ships all headed for Earth (other than plot convenience) ?  We know there are other habitable planets close to Krypton than Earth.  Plus, unless WorldKiller was designed to take out Daxam, what did Reign's designer have against Earth ? 

Sam never noticing what was under that drape in the barn at the family homestead for nearly 18 years was just stupid.  Did the betta fish spaceship crash in the barn ? Or did Patricia tow it there ?

If Sam's ship was launched shortly before Krypton exploded, shouldn't she be the same age as Superman ?  Or did she also get delayed in the Phantom Zone too ?

Patricia indicated that Sam left home before she was 18, and it had been 12 years since she had left.  So Sam went from unwed teenage mom to CFO of L Corp in only 12 years -- really ?  How did she afford college, let alone who babysat Ruby while attending said college ? Because you kind of need a college degree and several post-graduate certifications to become a CFO.

What the hell was with Sam sticking her hand in the pot of boiling water ?  Did she even consider what might have happened had she been wrong ?  Just because you are immune to bullets doesn't mean you are immune to EVERYTHING !!

The DEO continues to have THE WORST security next to maybe Star Labs and the Arrow Lair -- apparently not even any video security, or guards at the exits or anything.

On a completely superficial note, Imra Ardeen was all kinds of hot.

Odette Anable's hands freaked me out -- they're huge !

Alex looked rough this episode -- still suffering from the post-breakup baby-craving blues.

There was WAAAAY too much Sam in this episode. I know, I know they need to build up her story but this seems to be turning into The Sam Show, also starring Supergirl.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, JapMo said:

I didn't see it yet.  Was it good?

Meh. A fair amount of idiot plotting. The Mon-El/Kara reunion wasn't as bad as it could have been. The Reign storyline moved forward. 

2 hours ago, madhacker said:

and finally, my first thought when Mon called the girl Nura was  "Wow, Shadow Lass!!" followed immediately by  "aw shit,  that means Kara is screwed". Kara just can't catch a break. she should just give Winn a shot.

Mon called the girl Imra, and later confirmed that her full name was Imra Ardeen. So Saturn Girl., not Shadow Lass.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Watching J'onn and F'ather was a bit painful. Nobody at the DEO can give him whatever Earth 101 education Mon received last year?

People's mileage may vary, but that was among the best part of the episode for me. Getting J'onn to realize he'd imprisoned himself and then course correcting to make a life for him and his father outside the DEO was great. And for My'rrn to still have some level of PTSD from 300 years' imprisonment makes sense. 

48 minutes ago, KirkB said:

Doesn't Ruby even existing confirm that, at least in this continuity, Kryptonians and humans can interbreed?

And while I'm on the subject, I also find it amusing the bad guys plans were derailed for so long just because Sam had sex. If she hadn't does that mean she would have gotten her powers while Kara was still asleep in her pod and ended up Superman's enemy?

Reign is a bio-engineered being, so it's unclear how she compares to the average Kryptonian. Also, per the hologram, Reign was designed to have her abilities activate when she became 18 but teen pregnancy somehow knocked that timetable off. So she was not purely Kryptonian when she got pregnant. (By contrast, Kara's powers were active as a teen.)

As for the notion that Reign would have been out there killing worlds but the whole process was delayed because she was pregnant....I guess we'll just have to suspend disbelief as to how her pregnancy somehow affected the time table by 8-10 years.

• Love 3

So, Mon-El has contracted the dreaded "I have an easily solvable problem but have decided to lie about it to everyone because of reasons" dieseas that plagues so many characters in the Arrowverse. I want to know if he actually had a reason for not just telling everyone at the DEO that there were people in the pods and he needed to get them out, and instead running around knocking people out, sulking, and manipulating his friends. Because, if his only reason for doing this is because he didn't want to tell Kara he was married, that is a serious dick move. His wife could have died, and he was willing to let her die because he wanted to avoid an awkward conversation? I mean, he didn't even have to say she was his wife, he could just say she was a friend or something. And are the other pod people dead? Or are they still in pods? Why was only her pod in danger, because he tried to open it? Then why was he in such a hurry to open it in the first place? And even if he had a reason not to tell the truth, its still a dick move for him to allow Kara to find out he got married by making out with his new wife in front her her. I mean, ouch. Way to give her some lemon juice to go with that paper cut dude.

Sam becoming Reign certainly escalated quickly. They went from sending her vague visions about her creepy destiny, to full on evil activation. Her new lair is cool though, and I like Sam alright, but the whole story just seems to be running so fast, and still seems a bit random. Like, all of the sudden here is this woman and her story and she is BFFs with Lena and Kara and has all this story going on, and its not bad, its just weird. 

I did like that Winn got more to do with this week, and we got some of his friendship with Mon-El (which is really my favorite Mon-El relationship), even though Mon-El didn't seem all that happy to see everyone. I guess he was in shock or super nervous about his wife or something, but he was just kind of "hey you guys..." the whole episode until the end. I also thought the stuff between J'onn was pretty good, if a little Fish out of Water obvious a few times. I like that they mentioned that his dad would probably be a little messed up being locked up for a few hundred years, and that J`onn still doesn't feel super comfortable on Earth. It also let Winn show some maturity giving J`onn some good advice and being rather perceptive. 

I am interested to see where they go with the 31st century stuff, but it looks like it'll be tied into a dreaded love triangle. Honestly, what is it with shows I watch having guys marrying women after being separated from their significant other and lying about it when they come back together due to time travel? Why is this a thing?!?!

• Love 10

I loved (not really) how there was no explanation for how people were getting to and from the alien ship - J'onn didn't phase(?) them there all those times. I didn't hate the Kara/Mon-El scenes, but it was so annoying with the obvious 'this character can't share important info that would clear everything up in 2 minutes because we need a Big Reveal later' stalls.

When I heard that Carl Lumbly would be a guest star, I thought it would just be a one-off. How much are we going to see him? I don't mind M'yrnn at all, and I'm glad J'onn has someone outside the DEO to connect to, it's just unexpected. C'of-fee!

Even though she's been here since the start of the season, it's still weird to me to be watching all these scenes of Sam that aren't connected to the established characters. But I'm glad that her arc is progressing.

• Love 3

While I actually like the Mon-El character and actor, I'm tired of his relationship angst being his primary focus. Enough already! And while I realize that it's been 7 years for him, I really feel like all the relationship crap we had to endure last season was completely pointless.

The only thing I liked in this episode was the Fortress of Solitude Sanctuary being based on dirt/sand/rock instead of ice/snow. I thought that was one of the clever things about the Kryptonian crystals from Superman Returns. The crystals build a fortress based on the material they'e surrounded by. I don't know if that aspect has ever been explored in the comics.

• Love 2

I'm having trouble processing the 7 years timeline of Mon-el arriving and getting married. 

Kara and Mon-el had a unique relationship. Very unique in that both their worlds were destroyed. Both came from planets that were enemies. Yet, they came together, despite the different background and how different their personalities were. Kara managed to help guide him for the better and even gave her only item that belongs to her identity, the necklace, to Mon-el. Mon-el went against his family and chose Kara and Earth, as well as become a hero, all for his love of Kara. They're literally soul mates. 

So, with this in mind, we can see how deeply they were in love. 

Let's assume, Mon-el met Irma right when he arrived in the future after going through the wormhole. Lets assume, there's no way he would develop feelings for Irma during the first year. That'll be too quick esp with the kind of relationship he had with Kara. It's a bond we can't understand because we never had to go through what they went through.. 

So let's say it's year 2, he may develop some feelings for her but he feels the guilt, and how it's still too soon. I mean for them to fall in love this quickly, they must've went through some deep crap. But I don't believe Mon-el is that type of guy. 

So let's say year 3 is when he finally decides that it's time to let go. It's been three years and he develops feelings for her. I'll assume they were close friends first and after a year of development, they become gf and bf in year 4. That seems logical. They wouldn't rush into things. Just doesn't seem like the people who would.. Esp being heroes and all. 

That would mean they got married pretty recent. I'd say year 6 or 7.. I say that because average couples prob stay as bf/gf for around 5 years or so before they settle. I know for sure though that there are couples who's been in a Relationship way longer and haven't gonna married yet. It's a big commitment. Because of plot, I'll assume they got married after 3 or 4 years of being bf and gf.. That would mean year 6 or 7. 

This troubles me because this seems all too fast for a unique couple like Kara and Mon-el.. And I'm giving them a lot of wiggle room by fitting everything in 7 years and assuming they get together pretty quickly.. I don't think that would happen irl.. Maybe for normal couples.. But again.. They weren't normal.. He still has her necklace on too! 

This also gives hope that if it was a fast relationship, it might not be as strong as the one with Kara.. 

On the other hand, it might be just that strong or more because of how fast they got together and married. That would mean they did go through almost everything together to build such a bond.. And that's unsettling for the Karamel fans. 

I know Kara and Mon-el got together relatively fast but I'm assuming this is their first real relationship.. It's different and their situation put them in a unique spot. 

Alright, who else thinks I'm overthinking haha

I just want Kara to finally be happy again and be with Mon-el.. 

Hopefully, like what others said, Irma will find his lost husband that is hopefully not dead and can tell Mon-el isn't over Kara since she is telepathic. This way it's a win win and no one is being 2nd picks. 

Edited by Harry Potter
  • Love 2

Mon-El is back!  All is right in the world and true love lives on!

Kidding, of course.  Because it turns out that when Mon-El got sucked into that wormhole, what was seven months for Kara, was seven years for him.  And a lot happened in that time including... cue drumroll.. finding someone else and getting married!  Ah, they surprise wife twist.  Never gets old!  And Mon-El really came off looking like a jerk waiting so long to say anything about it.  Just drama for the sake of drama.

I did like them putting at least some focus on the relationship between Mon-El and Winn, and how it was this one that ended up being a benefit to him.  Still getting annoyed over the lack of Winn, but I'll take it.  At least he fared better then James, whose sole scene was to prop up Kara/Mon-El.  Who did Mehcad Brooks wrong in his past life to get crapped on so much here?

So, it looks like Samantha is already getting setting up to be the big baddie, as she finds out from her adopted mother (Betty Buckley!) that she actually was found in an alien spaceship.  So, she ends up discovering her own cool lair with her own cool holographic advisor (mysterious lady from her dreams), and has now become "Reign."

Father-son bonding time with J'onn and M'yrinn was by the numbers, although I can't complaint too much at seeing David Harewood and Carl Lumby in scenes together.

So, once "Reign" obviously tosses Ruby aside, who gets to be the lucky guardian going forward?  Will Lena suddenly find herself having to take care of her kid while running both a newspaper and a company?  Will Alex finally get a chance to give this parenting thing a shot?  Or will J'onn just lock her up in the DEO jail cell, so they can be on the safe side?  The possibilities are endless!

Cool that Chad Lowe directed this one.

• Love 7

Perhaps Lena and Sam originally met at a support group for women with awful mothers.  Awful mothers who were not biologically related to their daughters.

I get that Kara calls Eliza by her first name because she remembers her own mom, but it's a little unusual that Sam doesn't remember a time before she lived with her adoptive mom, yet calls her by her first name. Unless that's a reaction to her unmother-like throwing her out of her home. speaking of which, Sam could form a support group with Maggie, too.

Perhaps Ruby is immature because Sam was still a kid herself when she had her.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1

@Harry Potter, if we accept the premise that Kara and Mon-El were able to fall deeply in love in a year (or really less, because some portion of it was spent on build-up and will-they or won't-they), I don't see why it's hard to think that Mon-El couldn't decide "Well, I'm stuck in the future with no way of getting back and Kara's been dead for centuries" and move on.

• Love 8

I feel terrible for all the poor Karamel shippers but I could completely understand why Mon El moved on. For him it was 7 years and he thought he would never see her again. So he wore the necklace and probably mourned her like he would a deceased love (someone he would always love but would never see again) and moved on with Irma. I don't ship them but I found it very sad. Anyone who ships them must find it terrible just like Olicity shippers (ME!!!!!!!) had to suffer through seasons 4B and 5A of Arrow. Hang in there guys!!!!!

I liked the scene with the fortress growing in the desert! That was cool.

LOVED J'onn and his dad. His father was so heartbreaking when they went out to get coffee and I loved J'onn getting a place at the end.

Also enjoyed the Mon El and Winn friendship and the Kara/James scene.

• Love 5

Mon called the girl Imra, and later confirmed that her full name was Imra Ardeen. So Saturn Girl., not Shadow Lass.

Also Shadow Lass's real name is Tasmia. Nura is Dreamgirl, Brainiac 5's other girlfriend. 

I thought Daxamites were about the same level of strength with Kryptonians?

Maybe the cure weakened him? 

I don't buy for a second that Mon-El was only secretive because he didn't want to tell Kara about the wife. To me it sounded like he was about to tell her about that part right at the beginning in the hospital bed where she starts kissing him and she "shhhhhhs" him when he tries to tell her something. (reminded me when he tried to tell her about being the prince when they were locked up by Lillian)

IMO the Legion is there on some secret mission he is trying to hide. Maybe they originally wanted to do it without being noticed by Kara at all. If anything it's weird that he became that chatty once he admitted that he was gone for 7 years. 

. His wife could have died, and he was willing to let her die because he wanted to avoid an awkward conversation? 

I thought the pods only started to malfunction after Mon-El put in the device he tried to steal first and which Winn then handed to him. Imra's pod was only affected because the power rerouting they did after the malfunction didn't work for her pod for some reason. All the other pods are still fine. 

That would mean they got married pretty recent. I'd say year 6 or 7.. I say that because average couples prob stay as bf/gf for around 5 years or so before they settle. I know for sure though that there are couples who's been in a Relationship way longer and haven't gonna married yet. It's a big commitment. Because of plot, I'll assume they got married after 3 or 4 years of being bf and gf.. That would mean year 6 or 7. 

Marriage didn't seem to be a super emotional thing on Daxam, and there is no insurance that either Daxamites or Saturnians follow typical human "5 years dating" rules before marriage. 

I'm just glad that the plot if finally starting to move somewhere. I hope they will get it out of the Legion soon why they are here. Especially the "maybe been there for 12.000 years part", like wtf? Even if we presume the Legion hasn't perfected time travel yet, went into a portal like Mon-El did, intentionally in a ship that would allow them to sleep for thousands of years, it seems like a pretty hug conincidence that they would wake up that close in time and location to where Mon-El left. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, roctavia said:

Uh... I knew there would be conflict with Mon El, but I know this surprise wife thing has happened before on another series, probably several before, but I can’t think what show I’m thinking of... 

The first one that came to mind for me was Alias, when Sydney woke up from a 2 year fugue state and found out Vaughn had married Melissa George in the meantime. I'm sure there are others, but right now I can't think of them. I'll probably wake up in the middle of the night remembering 4 more.

• Love 2

A fair few shows have done it I think. Grey's Anatomy had a famous one where one half of the main couple turned out to have an estranged wife, and the whole season centred around that love triangle with lots of pining and indecision, which is what I'm dreading here. I suppose it depends on whether CW is going to stay a regular next season or not. 

Mon-EL did kind of gloss over why he was on that ship.  Were he and the new missus going somewhere specific ?   Or was the plan to always come back to the time that Mon-El left (in which case they really missed that target by a few thousand years, and missed the landing pad wherever that was supposed to be).  And since he woke up speaking Saturnian, does that mean that there are currently Saturnians living near Saturn -- do the Martians even know about this ?   Because J'onn didn't mention anything about it.  Mon-El's got a lot more 'splaining to do.

I knew the marriage was coming, I was hoping that they wouldn't choose the more cliche way to reveal it but no, of course, Mon-El is interrupted every time he tries to say it and of course it's revealed in the more dramatic way possible with Mon-El kissing his wife in front of Kara (which I don't but by the way he wouldn't be so insensitive)

As for his lying and keeping secrets, it's obvious that he can't say because he doesn't want to mess the timelines or something else so I'll wait to see where the story is coming before deciding if it was justified or if it's just bad writing for the sake of drama. Also, Mon-El said that Kara was going to be hurt so I'm more convinced than ever that she's supposed to die in the original timeline.

Sam's story finally advanced though it was a little rushed, I don't think she's fully Reign yet, it's too early in the season for that, I'm expecting the sam side and reign to fight for control for a little while.

Jonn story with his father was cute though they could have kept it for another less changed episode

One last thing that bothered me Kara can knock out Mon-El in one punch? same thing with the pod's door? I understand that Kara has to be the stronger character on her own show, but Mon-El shouldn't look as weak as an human

• Love 1

Well it wasn't the worst episode of Supergirl, even if all the plot "twists" could be seen coming a mile away. 

Sam ever noticed the spaceship? Sigh. I guess they've shown that she was a good person before becoming evil but her *suddenly.Evil* Awakening threatens to undo any "evolution of a villain" stuff they said they wanted to do. Boom, she's now evil, apparently no real choice in the matter. They spent so long setting her up as a "good person" and making her friends with Lena and Kara only to have her basically be mind raped into being Reign, they might just as well have done it over 2 episodes and not 7. Her desert Sanctuary was cool though and her guide still suitably creepy. 

Winn got to do more which was good, I liked his conversations with Mon El. Mon El definitely did have opportunity to tell Kara more, even if she wasn't in the mood to listen when he was in bed. But obviously they wanted the "shock" of Imra turning out to be his wife at just the second he was going to come clean. It's one of the reasons I have no faith that this isn't going to be a lot of cliché angst. If it was just going to be a "Mon El is happy with his wife and teammates" storyline there would have been that interruption or so much emphasis on the necklace and how he never forgot her.

I really enjoyed the J'onn and Dad plotline, that was well done, how they're both trying to feel their way back to a relationship and deal with their separation/incarcerations. 

4 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

This troubles me because this seems all too fast for a unique couple like Kara and Mon-el.. And I'm giving them a lot of wiggle room by fitting everything in 7 years and assuming they get together pretty quickly.. I don't think that would happen irl.. Maybe for normal couples.. But again.. They weren't normal.. He still has her necklace on too! 

This also gives hope that if it was a fast relationship, it might not be as strong as the one with Kara.. 

7 years is plenty of time to move on. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about when couples get married. Some get married after a few months and are happy for the next 50 years, some date for 10 years before getting married and are divorced in less than 2. The fact that the Legion are presumably facing similar life and death situations to all the other characters in the Verse means things happen intensely. Kara has mourned Mon El longer than she was with him so he's allowed to have mourned and moved on in his time frame. Of course I doubt he really will end up having moved on for good. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

I thought Daxamites were about the same level of strength with Kryptonians?

Their strength is very plot dependent. Rhea held her own versus Kara as did Monel in sparring matches. But Kara one-shotted hosts of Daxamites last season, and even ordinary humans like Maggie and Alex had some level of success fighting non-weakened Daxamites.

One could also fanwank that Monel has been out of it for12k years and isn't back up to full strength yet.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Mon-EL did kind of gloss over why he was on that ship.  Were he and the new missus going somewhere specific ?   Or was the plan to always come back to the time that Mon-El left (in which case they really missed that target by a few thousand years, and missed the landing pad wherever that was supposed to be).  And since he woke up speaking Saturnian, does that mean that there are currently Saturnians living near Saturn -- do the Martians even know about this ?   Because J'onn didn't mention anything about it.  Mon-El's got a lot more 'splaining to do.

I do wonder if Mon-El was playing the "This will help Kara" card genuinely, or because he knew Winn would fall for it.

Back in S.1, which this show has desperately tried to make people forget existed, one of the bad guys was J'emm, Son of Saturn. So there had been some form of life on Saturn in the past/present of this show, but it is seemingly very different from Imra.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt

Well technically she's from Titan, not Saturn itself.  So they could look differently. But I don't think that Winn was part of the DEO yet, so he could have missed Jemm. But the DEO should be aware. 

Mon-El mentioned Querl (=Brainiac5). I wonder if he is on the ship as well and whether we'll get a scene where they read him the riot act for getting the calculations wrong. 

I do wonder if Mon-El was playing the "This will help Kara" card genuinely, or because he knew Winn would fall for it.

I think it is very likely that the purpose of them being there really is Kara. Mon-El saying Winn letting him to go the ship would non specifically help people and specifically help Kara to me shows that he wasn't that worried of the condition of the people in the pods. Otherwise he could just have said "let me go back there or else the people in the pods will die". I think he wanted to get the ship working again so him and the people on the ship can continue with the mission which in a roundabout way is supposed to help Kara. 

So, will the time messing rules from Flash or Legends also come into effect here? 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, KirkB said:

I have to agree with everyone else who mentioned it. I found Kara's wardrobe at the DEO weirdly distracting in this episode. Everyone there probably knows Kara Danvers is Supergirl so there is no reason she can't wear her civvies if she wants but why in the world was she wearing her glasses? She only needs to do that as a disguise around people who don't know her secret identity.

The glasses are made of a special material that acts as a dampener on her sensory powers. Otherwise, she risks going crazy from sensory overload, as happened to her shortly after she first arrived on Earth.  That's why Jeremiah made them for her.

2 hours ago, tofutan said:

Also Shadow Lass's real name is Tasmia. Nura is Dreamgirl, Brainiac 5's other girlfriend. 

Actually, Dream Girl is Star Boy's girlfriend.  Brainiac 5 only had eyes for Kara.

21 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Back in S.1, which this show has desperately tried to make people forget existed, one of the bad guys was J'emm, Son of Saturn. So there had been some form of life on Saturn in the past/present of this show, but it is seemingly very different from Imra.

That's because Imra is technically not from Saturn itself, but from its largest moon, Titan (which, incidentally, is the only moon in our solar system that is known to have an atmosphere, albeit a frozen one).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I feel terrible for all the poor Karamel shippers but I could completely understand why Mon El moved on. For him it was 7 years and he thought he would never see her again. So he wore the necklace and probably mourned her like he would a deceased love (someone he would always love but would never see again) and moved on with Irma. I don't ship them but I found it very sad. Anyone who ships them must find it terrible just like Olicity shippers (ME!!!!!!!) had to suffer through seasons 4B and 5A of Arrow. Hang in there guys!!!!!

I'm a BIG Mon-El fan and love him with Kara.  That being said, surprisingly it didn't bother me that he is married.  Kara and Mon-El got together way too quickly in Season 2.  If they bring him back, and he immediately reunites with Kara and becomes Valor...there's no story for the next season.  While some people hate angst, I love it if done properly.  My gut feeling is he didn't want to marry her but had to or did it to help her out (though their liplock at the end might dispute that).  Anyway, I'm glad he's back.  Was disappointed he didn't display a lot of new powers.  I thought that was going to happen once he came back.  Oh well.

7 hours ago, Trini said:

Even though she's been here since the start of the season, it's still weird to me to be watching all these scenes of Sam that aren't connected to the established characters.

The pacing of this character has been off all season.  In fact, the pacing of the entire season has been off, IMO.  You have a whole episode where Kara is basically an extra (J'onn going to Mars), the cult show which didn't relate to anything or anybody else, and last week's show where they focus 90% of the episode on the younger versions of Alex and Kara, which was great for those actresses but didn't do a thing for the 2 main characters of the show.  So not counting last night, you had 6 episodes in the can where half of them were basically standalone.  The character of Reign has been hurt the worst in all this, IMO, because she's focused front and center every other episode.  In between, she's ignored.  You can't move a character from A to Z like the show says they are going to (bring her from oblivious to being an alien and super powerful to being the worst person in the universe) if you do that.  I wish the show would have kept Lillian and maybe continued with Psi as a recurring baddie.  I don't really give a crap about Reign, or her kid, or what motivates her.    

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, JapMo said:

While some people hate angst, I love it if done properly.  My gut feeling is he didn't want to marry her but had to or did it to help her out (though their liplock at the end might dispute that).  Anyway, I'm glad he's back.  Was disappointed he didn't display a lot of new powers.

I agree angst is fine if it's done right, though it's rare for a show to get it right. They usually go too far and make it all about the angst, and if there is nothing but it is just depressing and not fun or interesting to watch. We'll have to see what happens here.

I can't say I'm glad Mon-El is back, especially since I'm not looking forward to the apparent love triangle with Kara, Mon-El and Mon-El's wife, but I don't have anything against the character so we'll see what happens. Why are you disappointed he doesn't have a lot of new powers though? Why would he? He may be cured of his lead allergy but he's still just a Daxamite. He can't fly and he's not as strong or as tough as Kara. Living in the future for seven years shouldn't have done anything to alter his base power set.

15 minutes ago, JapMo said:

The character of Reign has been hurt the worst in all this, IMO, because she's focused front and center every other episode.  In between, she's ignored.

I get what (I think) they're trying to do with Reign. They want to introduce her to us as Sam, as Lena's friend and Ruby's mom, so we'll feel sympathy for her and not see her as just a villain. The problem is, because of the way they've set her up, actually making her villainous in the first place has to pretty extreme and the solution for stopping her couldn't be more obviously set up if they tried (hint, it won't be Kara).

16 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

The glasses are made of a special material that acts as a dampener on her sensory powers. Otherwise, she risks going crazy from sensory overload, as happened to her shortly after she first arrived on Earth.  That's why Jeremiah made them for her.

Which episode did they say this in? I must have missed it. And she hasn't learned control after fifteen years?

Edited by KirkB
Spelling
Just now, KirkB said:

I agree angst is fine if it's done right, though it's rare for a show to get it right. They usually go too far and make it all about the angst, and if there is nothing but it is just depressing and not fun or interesting to watch. We'll have to see what happens here.

I can't say I'm glad Mon-El is back, especially since I'm not looking forward to the apparent love triangle with Kara, Mon-El and Mon-El's wife, but I don't have anything against the character so we'll see what happens. Why are you disappointed her doesn't have a lot of new powers though? Why would he? He may be cured of his lead allergy but he's still just a Daxamite. He can't fly and he's not as strong or as tough as Kara. Living in the future for seven years shouldn't have done anything to alter his base power set.

I get what (I think) they're trying to do with Reign. They want to introduce her to us as Sam, as Lena's friend and Ruby's mom, so we'll feel sympathy for her and not see her as just a villain. The problem is, because of the way they've set her up, actually making her villainous in the first place has to pretty extreme and the solution for stopping her couldn't be more obviously set up if they tried (hint, it won't be Kara).

Which episode did they say this in? I must have missed it. And she hasn't learned control after fifteen years?

She did eventually learn to control them, but I think she still wears the glasses as a precaution.  And I forget which Season 1 episode it was that Jeremiah made the glasses for her, but I do know that it was fairly early on in that season.

36 minutes ago, KirkB said:

Why are you disappointed he doesn't have a lot of new powers though? Why would he? He may be cured of his lead allergy but he's still just a Daxamite. He can't fly and he's not as strong or as tough as Kara. Living in the future for seven years shouldn't have done anything to alter his base power set.

I was under the impression he was going to be able to fly (as Valor), and that the Legion ring, which he wasn't wearing cause I looked for it but I thought he was supposed to wear, also gives him special powers.  I have to bow to my fellow posters who are more current on their comic book lore.

I have no problem with Mon-El falling in love and getting married to someone else, even if, this being the CW, I see FLASHING NEON LOVE TRIANGLE lights ahead. It's been seven years - plenty of time for someone to move on.  And Irma knew who Kara was.  And I've been braced for another Kara love triangle for a couple of seasons now, so all of that is fine. 

My issue was that instead of immediately trying to get poor Irma out of the capsule the instant he woke up on the DEO hospital bed - what I would expect from most husbands - he instead was just, ok, I'll chill here for a bit. Then, given a second chance to explain things and GET HELP FOR HIS WIFE (not to mention the other people in those capsules) he instead chose to sulk and not tell Kara anything.

And sure, I get that he probably didn't want to hurt Kara/admit to her that he'd moved on with another woman, and I'm equally sure that after next week's epic crossover episodes, we're going to find out that Mon-El realized that he still had feelings for Kara and just didn't know what to do, and I'll give him full credit for not kissing Kara/turning away when she tried to kiss him, thus not cheating on his wife. But honestly, if I were Irma? I think I'd have some grave concerns about a husband who was willing to leave me STUCK IN A CAPSULE FOR SEVERAL HOURS because he didn't want to tell a former girlfriend that he was married. 

So unless there's some other reason for staying quiet besides OH NOES I COULD HURT KARA AND THEN WE COULDN'T TELL JOKES ABOUT SPARE RIBS, I'm back to thinking that Kara and Irma may both be better off without him. The kinda sad thing here is that Supergirl had just about managed to get me on board with Kara/Mon-El at the end of last season - not excited about the relationship, but resigned to it - but now I'm all Kara! You're about to meet all sorts of single people next week, including a guy that can burst into flame and hasn't had a relationship of any kind in a couple of years! Go for that! Irma! Consider someone who can add a touch more electricity to your relationship!  Trust me on this, both of you!

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, quarks said:

So unless there's some other reason for staying quiet besides OH NOES I COULD HURT KARA AND THEN WE COULDN'T TELL JOKES ABOUT SPARE RIBS, I'm back to thinking that Kara and Irma may both be better off without him. The kinda sad thing here is that Supergirl had just about managed to get me on board with Kara/Mon-El at the end of last season - not excited about the relationship, but resigned to it - but now I'm all Kara! You're about to meet all sorts of single people next week, including a guy that can burst into flame and hasn't had a relationship of any kind in a couple of years! Go for that! Irma! Consider someone who can add a touch more electricity to your relationship!  Trust me on this, both of you!

LOL.  Love it.  I loved Mon-El back in the picture, but geez, writers...why bring him back as a jerk again?  Wasn't that the whole point of sending him away?  So he could become the hero that Kara wanted him to be?  If it wasn't for the fact that it was a pretty interesting storyline last night of him returning, I would be more critical about how quickly things moved.  Again, the writing....what was the point of keeping Mon-El off screen for 6 episodes and then rush through his return?  Kara should have spent at least one episode, IMO, denying that Mon-El was different and making up excuses for him to herself and everyone else.  We, the audience, didn't see this big change that the characters were spewing.  Yes, he's more serious, not the loveable goof, and quieter, and he was caught somewhere he shouldn't have been, but it could easily have been chalked up to being disoriented.  Instead she's already in his face, just hours after he returns, saying he's different.  And the whole wife thing could have been held off for awhile.  Let the audience in on it right away, but not Kara.  

Actually, Dream Girl is Star Boy's girlfriend.  Brainiac 5 only had eyes for Kara.

In modern continuity he had a thing for Dreamgirl. Supergirl the tv show is clearly much more inspired by modern continuity than classic continuity. 

Dream Girl was killed during a Terra Firma attack and Brainiac 5 recovered her body and became obsessed with finding a way to resurrect her. He captured Lemnos to try and revive her, but the experiment destroyed her physical body. It did however leave her consciousness alive in Brainiac 5's dreams.

Still, his ultimate goal was to bring Dream Girl back to life. Brainiac 5 spent more and more time sleeping to be with her. After a time, he proposed in the dream realm. After inventing a machine that could upload the Legionnaires' minds into an information-based reality and being forced to recreate their bodies, he created a body for Dream Girl as well, downloading her consciousness from his mind into the new body. He then invited the Legion to attend their wedding.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/brainiac-5/4005-1255/

Dream Girl foretold a possible upcoming galactic war, and that Lemnos had a critical tie to it. She has also told Brainiac 5 that they will be married eventually.

Later, her body is cloned by Brainac 5, and she returned to it from the subconscious state after Brainy met with her and proposed. When she was finally back in her physical form, Brainy and Dream Girl told the other Legionnaires that they where getting married (this was at the end of war with the Dominators).

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Nura_Nal_(Earth-Prime)

955257.jpg

3b47-09.jpg

3b21-08.jpg

My issue was that instead of immediately trying to get poor Irma out of the capsule the instant he woke up on the DEO hospital bed - what I would expect from most husbands - he instead was just, ok, I'll chill here for a bit. Then, given a second chance to explain things and GET HELP FOR HIS WIFE (not to mention the other people in those capsules) he instead chose to sulk and not tell Kara anything.

We have no proof they needed help. Imra started going bad only after Mon-El and Winn arrived with the new ship piece. Mon-El told Winn he wanted to back to the ship to help "people" and Kara, not that those people in the pods were in danger. 

But honestly, if I were Irma? I think I'd have some grave concerns about a husband who was willing to leave me STUCK IN A CAPSULE FOR SEVERAL HOURS because he didn't want to tell a former girlfriend that he was married. 

Again, if those people are really suffering in those capsules, why hasn't the DEO taken all of them out of the capsules and brought them to the surface? They weren't imprisoned in those capsules, they were travelling in them. You are just assuming that Imra was miserable in there. Maybe she was in telepathic contact with Mon-El the entire time and there was no rush. Or maybe she wasn't. The point is we don't know that. Maybe Mon-El wasn't rushing to her side, because there was no reason to rush before Mon-El and Winn messed up the ship's wiring. 

To me, that she wears them in the jail cell confrontation with Mon-El but not in the earlier scene with him on the bed made me think she was using them almost like a shield to hide behind, a barrier,, because she was getting emotional and wanted to be strong for the painful confrontation. 

the cult show which didn't relate to anything or anybody else,

Out of all the episodes, the cult one I could picture coming back into effect. After all, the actions in the cult episode seemed to have an effect on both the Legion ship and Reign. And maybe the weapon they retrieved on Mars might be used in battle against Reign later (I noticed it was lying there on the shelf in the storeroom Mon-El broke into). So those episodes might not be as meaningless as they might seem on first glance. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 3

Well, I was expecting a lot worse coming from a Mon-El/Kara heavy centric episode. It certainly was more enjoyable than some of the Mon-El episodes last season, and if Kara can still do her job, hang out with her family and friends, and not just have her entire world be focused around Mon-El, even with this wife drama, then I might not hate it.

I thought Chris Wood did very well with what he was given. I think he did what he could, even with Mon-El looking like the biggest coward on this show. Not that it isn't surprising, as he's done this before. Sure, he tried to tell Kara twice about something (whether that was about his wife or something else), but it still made Mon-El look like a jerk. Apparently, this episode fell under TV Trope 101 writing, because a character not telling the truth for plot reasons does not reflect well on a character who was already polarizing last season. I liked this side of Mon-El up until about halfway through the episode, when I realized that I didn't want Mope-El for the rest of the season. Hopefully we don't just get mopey, angsty Mon-El.

Of course, Mon-El being interrupted when he was trying to tell the truth was infuriating, but it was quickly diminished when I remembered that he had an opportunity to tell the truth when Kara flat out asked him while he was in the prison cell and he stayed silent. Instead of asking for help to bring back his friends, all because he didn't want to admit that he had a wife in that pod, he decided to risk their lives and hope that someone would let him out so he could help them. I guess, if Mon-El hadn't have turned on the ship, they'd still be fine, but it was still eye-roll worthy. 

I did like Mon-El and Winn getting to have scenes together. They do work well (for me, a bit better than James/Winn scenes) and Winn has basically been underused, so his scene with Mon-El really gave Jeremy Jordan something to do, other than making quippy one liners and babbling about technical jargon. 

I liked the J'onn scenes with his father. I like that his father helped him realize that he was not alone on this planet anymore and he didn't have to live and breathe the DEO. It was nice to see them get their own apartment. 

I also was taken aback by the constant changes from Supergirl to Kara in the DEO. If that was supposed to be some way of having Kara dress in her human clothes as a way to show her vulnerability and humanity, I don't think it worked that well. I mean, Mon-El already told Irma that she was Kara/Supergirl.

Also, yeah, did Mon-El bother to get the others out of those pods? Or, I guess, they couldn't show them because they hadn't cast the roles at that time. And, I will say, he knew Kara was confused and didn't know why he was different, so him acting all crazed with Irma and then kissing her in front of his kind-of-ex girlfriend was just plain rude. 

As for the Sam/Reign storyline, it wasn't that awful. I actually think this is the perfect time to bring her own as a villain. We had seven full episodes of her origin story and her transformation into Reign. With the crossover being next week and then the mid-season finale right after, it's not a bad time to pick things up. I liked Sam's fortress of sanctuary. I thought it was very neat and such an opposite to Kara's Fortress. I like that we got to see Sam as a human being and then get dropped into her becoming a villain. I will say, they've done a slightly better job than with The Flash's Caitlin/Killer Frost. Although I still roll my eyes at this evil persona being trapped within a good person. I guess it really could have been worse, and at least we know it's because she was created by something/someone for this purpose.

Overall, it really was a decent episode. I am just looking forward to see if Kara's role this season shifts back into her season 2 Mon-El obsession, or if we'll get to continue to see her care about everyone. 

• Love 1

Also, yeah, did Mon-El bother to get the others out of those pods? Or, I guess, they couldn't show them because they hadn't cast the roles at that time. 

Well it's not like there is some sort of higher law that prevented them from casting them. I think they probably just don't want to overwhelm people with introducing 6 new people at the same time and so they will introduce them one by one. But in universe that likely means that they are not in any immediate danger the pods. 

I should probably sum up what I thought of the episode. 

J'onn/his father was nice, but too short and a strange fit for the rest of the episode. J'onn getting to use his phasing powers was really cool. 

It was good to see more of Winn. 

I'm not a fan of the triangle/wife aspect, but I'm too glad that the plot finally seems to kick into gear I don't care. It finally for the first time this season felt like things were actually happening. 

I thought it was assy of Mon-El to kiss Imra in front of Kara. Typical CW soap BS. 

I think handling Reign as a possession type storyline is a pretty boring choice. To me villains who have some sort of personal stake or drive are more interesting. 

I thought Melissa Benoist did an amazing job this episode. I thought Odette was good with Ruby, but her "getting posssessed" acting looked really stupid. I look forward to seeing how she handles straight up evil though. I thought Chris Wood was good in the beginning, but he got too shouty in some scenes. 

Amy Jackson alias Saturngirl is very good looking and has a nice screen presence so far. It's too early to say anything about her acting, but her accent was kind of offputting. 

I like the Legion and all the comic book stuff and look forward to that happening. I want to know more about the mission they are on. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, tofutan said:

I think it is very likely that the purpose of them being there really is Kara. Mon-El saying Winn letting him to go the ship would non specifically help people and specifically help Kara to me shows that he wasn't that worried of the condition of the people in the pods. Otherwise he could just have said "let me go back there or else the people in the pods will die". I think he wanted to get the ship working again so him and the people on the ship can continue with the mission which in a roundabout way is supposed to help Kara. 

So, will the time messing rules from Flash or Legends also come into effect here? 

This is what I thought too.  I think they purposely came back to save Kara. 

8 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

I'm having trouble processing the 7 years timeline of Mon-el arriving and getting married....

I edited your post just to highlight what I was responding to.  I don't think seven years was too short of a time-frame at all for Mon-El to get married and move on.  While I am one of the few that likes Mon-El and Kara together, I never really got that they were this destined, star-crossed love. They had a lot in common and overcame challenges which brought them together, but that made them a bit more of a "normal" couple (despite their superpowers). Mon-El thought he was gone forever.  He mourned Kara as someone would if their spouse had passed away, which essentially she had since he was so far into the future.  If it had just been one or two years, then yes- it would've felt way too fast.  

3 hours ago, Featherhat said:

7 years is plenty of time to move on. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about when couples get married. Some get married after a few months and are happy for the next 50 years, some date for 10 years before getting married and are divorced in less than 2. The fact that the Legion are presumably facing similar life and death situations to all the other characters in the Verse means things happen intensely. Kara has mourned Mon El longer than she was with him so he's allowed to have mourned and moved on in his time frame. Of course I doubt he really will end up having moved on for good. 

Exactly.  There is no rule at all about how long people date before they get married.  To me, 5 years seems excessively long.  If you haven't figured it out in five years, you probably shouldn't be married. But, then again, my husband and I got married after five months and have been married for 25 years. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JapMo said:

I was under the impression he was going to be able to fly (as Valor), and that the Legion ring, which he wasn't wearing cause I looked for it but I thought he was supposed to wear, also gives him special powers.  I have to bow to my fellow posters who are more current on their comic book lore.

The ring only gives the wearer the power of flight, nothing more.  Classically speaking, Mon-El should have exactly the same powers and power level that Superman and Supergirl have, but for some reason, this show has chosen to place him at the same power level as that of Superman when he was first introduced to the comics in 1938: super-strength, super-speed (albeit not nearly as fast as he eventually became), and invulnerability.  No vision powers or super-hearing, and he couldn't fly -- the best he could do was leap 1/8th of a mile at a time.

2 hours ago, quarks said:

Imra! Consider someone who can add a touch more electricity to your relationship!  Trust me on this, both of you!

I see what you did there!  :)

2 hours ago, tofutan said:

In modern continuity he had a thing for Dreamgirl. Supergirl the tv show is clearly much more inspired by modern continuity than classic continuity. 

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/brainiac-5/4005-1255/

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Nura_Nal_(Earth-Prime)

955257.jpg

3b47-09.jpg

3b21-08.jpg

I am clearly out of touch with modern continuity in the DC Universe -- but then again, I kind of lost track after Zero Hour!

24 minutes ago, rove4 said:

Isn't Saturn Girl married to Lightning Lad in the comics?  Not these DC shows have to stick to comic book canon...

Yes, and the last time I checked (which, mind you, was some 20-odd years ago), they had twins and were expecting another baby.  See my comment to @quarks.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1