Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Wake Up

Trini
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Yes, and the last time I checked (which, mind you, was some 20-odd years ago), they had twins and were expecting another baby.  See my comment to @quarks.

Thanks!  20-odd years ago is about the last time I glanced at a Legion of Superheroes comic too. 

• Love 1

So we can talk Legion in episode threads? Cool. I'm not a hardcore fan of the series to the point where I inhale all of the forums, so I have to ask: have derogatory hashtags been put out there? Like "#RealImraIsBlonde" and "#NotMySaturnGirl"?

I get why Supergirl has the Legion, since the character has ties with the superpowered teens. But I really would've wanted them to appear in Legends of Tomorrow. I mean, we're dealing with time-travelers, and most of the team have equivalents in abilities on the Legion (White Canary = Karate Kid; Firestorm = Wildfire;  Steel = Ferro Lad, and so on).

ETA: "#LonelyGarth." And I'm done. For now.

• Love 2

2. Samantha never once noticed the spaceship in the back shed even though it was only covered up with a cloth?  She never once tried to look under the cloth? Did her annoying adoptive mother try to claim that it was just a boat or something? 

That's the part that really cracked me up. Even assuming Betty Buckley kept the barn door locked for those 18 years, there's nothing quite as intriguing as a forbidden outbuilding on your own property. At some point in her life, Sam would have figured out a way to get in there and find out why it was so off-limits. Narratively, it would have made a lot more sense if the adopted mother had buried the thing, but there's no quick and convenient way to get to it if she takes Sam out back, points to a spot in the ground and hands her a shovel.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

So we can talk Legion in episode threads? Cool. I'm not a hardcore fan of the series to the point where I inhale all of the forums, so I have to ask: have derogatory hashtags been put out there? Like "#RealImraIsBlonde" and "#NotMySaturnGirl"?

Thank you!  I wondered whether anyone else would mention this.

And you're a forum mod, (albeit not for this particular show), so you would know better than anyone what is and isn't considered off-topic for the episode threads.  I trust your judgment!  :)

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

So Mon-El's back.  I liked him as a side character, but he seems to be taking a lot of Kara's energy.  I am however curious about Imra, but don't know anything about Saturn Girl.

I liked the Fortress of Sanctuary and Sam did drive through what really looked like California/Nevada/Arizona.  I assume Ruby will be key to Sam's inevitable redemption.

One of my favorite moments Kara winding up to corkscrew through the concrete: "I saw Clark do this once."  I love this show's callbacks to the Christopher Reeve Superman movies.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

liked Sam's fortress of sanctuary. I thought it was very neat and such an opposite to Kara's Fortress

Kara does not have her own Fortress. She barley has seen or used Superman's and those have all happened on the show recently. She even mentioned she never really wanted to see the Fortress even though Kal would invite her. It’s honestly weird since she remembers Krypton the most yet hasn’t wanted a place of her own that reminds her of home. Maybe this year after the whole “l m not human” stuff she will do that.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I liked Kara referencing Superman's sidewalk tunneling from Superman The Movie.

10 minutes ago, Lugal said:

One of my favorite moments Kara winding up to corkscrew through the concrete: "I saw Clark do this once."  I love this show's callbacks to the Christopher Reeve Superman movies.

I was so ready to see her do it, then J'onn was all, "Property damage!" Awww, come on, Space Dad!

• Love 7

I am clearly out of touch with modern continuity in the DC Universe -- but then again, I kind of lost track after Zero Hour!

It's among other things part of the Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes run written by Mark Waid. I greatly recommend those if you can get your hands on it. Waid is a great writer, I wish he would write (live action) tv as well. Especially since Geoff Johns seems very busy, so it's unlikely that he'll write much tv again.  And it seems that Jeph Loeb was sucked in by Marvel. It's a pity, since both Guggenheim and Kreisberg have also written comics on the side that they haven't used their connections to rope in more comic book writers to write for the Arrowverse. Can you picture a Supergirl episode written by Gail Simone? 

I haven't seen too much complaining about Imra's hair color. I think by now the people are kind of used to the tv shows jumbling the characters around. But I haven't checked the comic forums, maybe it's more of a topic there? 

Edited by tofutan
2 hours ago, tofutan said:

It's among other things part of the Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes run written by Mark Waid. I greatly recommend those if you can get your hands on it. Waid is a great writer, I wish he would write (live action) tv as well. Especially since Geoff Johns seems very busy, so it's unlikely that he'll write much tv again.  And it seems that Jeph Loeb was sucked in by Marvel. It's a pity, since both Guggenheim and Kreisberg have also written comics on the side that they haven't used their connections to rope in more comic book writers to write for the Arrowverse. Can you picture a Supergirl episode written by Gail Simone? 

I haven't seen too much complaining about Imra's hair color. I think by now the people are kind of used to the tv shows jumbling the characters around. But I haven't checked the comic forums, maybe it's more of a topic there? 

I wasn't a big fan of that run, especially the later parts (and let's not even mention that abrupt last issue).  Still, it's the Legion, so wait a few years and their continuity will reboot again. ?

I'm kinda annoyed at the WB's apparent antipathy to blond superheroes (Kara doesn't count, because CBS). First Oliver, then Barry, and now Imra have been de-blondified.  I mean, if you're changing a character's race, fine; but if not, why not keep one of their most distinctive physical attributes?

(And I'm 99.7% sure that Querl Dox will be the next example.)

Edited by ACW
Forgot about Brainy.
  • Love 1

I wasn't a big fan of that run, especially the later parts (and let's not even mention that abrupt last issue). 

Are you sure you mean the Waid run itself? He only wrote the Dominator war, the entire last arc/trade of Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes, the Hunt for Cosmic Boy stuff, was after Waid left. 

I think you might be right about Querl probably not being blond either. 

I have to admit, I never really thought about Ollie not being blond, probably because the Smallville Ollie was a blond. And Stephen Amnell just looks like a blond even if he isn't, if that makes any sense. 

Wait, wait --
So L-Corp still exists 400 years from now; and it specifically develops a cure for lead allergies - for Daxamites? Now I'm imagining a scenario, sometime in the future, Lena Luthor writes it into her will AND her corporation's mission statement that they have to find a cure so that she can reunite her friend and her alien boyfriend somehow....

Edited by Trini
  • Love 5

Well it's not like Mon-El is the only Daxamite left in the universe and they have powers on earth. So even if Mon-El was presumed to be dead or something happened to Kara a cure for Daxamites might still be useful, because then you could just grab some of the Daxamites that survived the attack/their offspring and bring them to earth, but only if they behave. 

On 11/21/2017 at 2:53 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

@Harry Potter, if we accept the premise that Kara and Mon-El were able to fall deeply in love in a year (or really less, because some portion of it was spent on build-up and will-they or won't-they), I don't see why it's hard to think that Mon-El couldn't decide "Well, I'm stuck in the future with no way of getting back and Kara's been dead for centuries" and move on.

True, he may just be like "dam, no way to get back. Time to get a new gf." 

But we know he isn't that kind of person. We know the impact she had on him. He's literally a different person because of her. 

Just because it was fast the first time doesn't mean it'll be fast the second. It's all situational. I, personally don't believe it would be that fast to get rid of those feelings. To me, this is like Match made in heaven kind of love. They fit perfectly. 

That's why I believe it'll take a while for Mon-el to move on.. Not even a decent caring guy today would move on so fast... Especially if it wasn't a break up. 

7 hours ago, tofutan said:

Are you sure you mean the Waid run itself? He only wrote the Dominator war, the entire last arc/trade of Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes, the Hunt for Cosmic Boy stuff, was after Waid left. 

I think you might be right about Querl probably not being blond either. 

I have to admit, I never really thought about Ollie not being blond, probably because the Smallville Ollie was a blond. And Stephen Amnell just looks like a blond even if he isn't, if that makes any sense. 

Yeah, I may be confusing writers.  But I'm definitely talking about the end of the continuity where Brainy loves Dream Girl.

I also suspect Brainy won't be green-skinned, though I'm hoping for at least some kind of usually-disguised-by-a-hologram situation.

Movie-Flash isn't blond, either.  At least Marvel kept Steve Rogers blond-ish.

Brainy liked Nura in the Waid run as well. But the whole marriage stuff and generally the more soapy stuff was after Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes was concluded and it went to just being Legion. 

I wonder whether they will explain why Mon-El and Saturngirl don't have Legion rings yet. 

I guess it could be a bit of a hassle to suddenly have 6 characters who can fly. But maybe in their interpretation the rings will give a telepathic connection, but no flight? 

14 hours ago, Lugal said:

Liked that too, but really enjoyed J'onn's more thoughtful, grown-up approach of "wait, there's a way to do this that doesn't involve expensive damage to public property." Kara seemed a little disappointed that she couldn't get to demonstrate a new skill-set, but Winn, typically, was all, "wow, that was cool."  I get why they don't let MM use his more diverse set of powers (telepathy, intangibility, invisibility, flight, super-strength, and shape-shifting) more frequently, it could make Kara's abilities seem a bit ho-hum. 

Edited by Winston Wolfe
Grammar
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I get why they don't let MM use his more diverse set of powers (telepathy, intangibility, invisibility, flight, super-strength, and shape-shifting) more frequently, it could make Kara's abilities seem a bit ho-hum.

As much as I like Harewood and J'onn, this is the biggest problem with him being on the show at all. He is, for all intents and purposes, more useful in virtually every situation than Kara. Which is why they constantly have to go to such great lengths to incapacitate him just to give Kara something to do.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:
On 11/21/2017 at 5:53 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

@Harry Potter, if we accept the premise that Kara and Mon-El were able to fall deeply in love in a year (or really less, because some portion of it was spent on build-up and will-they or won't-they), I don't see why it's hard to think that Mon-El couldn't decide "Well, I'm stuck in the future with no way of getting back and Kara's been dead for centuries" and move on.

True, he may just be like "dam, no way to get back. Time to get a new gf." 

But we know he isn't that kind of person. We know the impact she had on him. He's literally a different person because of her. 

Just because it was fast the first time doesn't mean it'll be fast the second. It's all situational. I, personally don't believe it would be that fast to get rid of those feelings. To me, this is like Match made in heaven kind of love. They fit perfectly. 

That's why I believe it'll take a while for Mon-el to move on.. Not even a decent caring guy today would move on so fast... Especially if it wasn't a break up.

I don't know.  I think if a young person was widowed, it's not unreasonable to think that he would be remarried by year 7.  What if he wants kids?  Or just doesn't want to be alone?  I think the better the previous relationship you had, the more you would want to replicate that feeling.  The unhappily married/partnered would be less likely to want to try again.

• Love 2

Is seven years really that fast? I'm seriously asking, what would be the 'appropriate' amount of time for Mon-El to mourn his lost love Kara before he moves on? And not that I want to sound like I'm defending Mon-El, but we don't actually know yet how 'fast' their relationship was anyway. For all we know they got married like a week ago and this trip was their honeymoon.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, KirkB said:

Is seven years really that fast? I'm seriously asking, what would be the 'appropriate' amount of time for Mon-El to mourn his lost love Kara before he moves on? And not that I want to sound like I'm defending Mon-El, but we don't actually know yet how 'fast' their relationship was anyway. For all we know they got married like a week ago and this trip was their honeymoon.

I think that seven years is a huge percentage of a young person's adult life.  For a woman, waiting seven years could be the difference between having children and not having them.

• Love 2
On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎20 at 9:17 PM, mxc90 said:

Not a good advertisement for Cadillac to show one of their vehicles breaking down after a couple of hours on the road.

Lol, that's exactly what I thought!

• Love 1

I loved Imra's (or Amy Jackson's) reaction when she was introduced to Kara.  Yes, there was a little of "I'm meeting his ex," but there was also a subtle hint of the awestruck-ness of a founding member of the Legion getting to meet Supergirl.

• Love 1

Oh, you got to love John's speech about burdens of running a "top secret" organization. Yeah... you doing a "good" job at it, mate. Why don't you hand in your resignation and be done with it? Because if things go as they are now, the DEO will be tourist attraction with tickets to it.

I hate plot that wouldn't exist if two people just had a conversation. 

I think Mon El's seven years should have been longer.  Not sure how Daxamite's age but his attitude and marital status would have been better explained by 15. Yeah I get his relationship with Kara was super rushed and poorly paced but I still bought it. I think he would have devoted several years to trying to get back, especially if he was cured of the lead poisoning that made him leave in the first place.

On 23/11/2017 at 10:45 AM, KirkB said:

No, seven years isn't that fast if he truly believed there was no way back. Just knowing his personality I find it hard to believe he would have shrugged his shoulders and not tried to get back. I could imagine his devoting quite a long time to it.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else annoyed that Samantha has a fortress of solitude but kara doesn't?

14 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

On an unrelated note, is anyone else annoyed that Samantha has a fortress of solitude but kara doesn't?

Not really.  Even in the comics, Kara never had one.  She once built her own place (in the desert, incidentally) while her existence on Earth was still a secret, but some archaeologists stumbled across it.  After having a run-in with one of them and his wife, both of whom blackmailed Kara by threatening to reveal her existence to the world (which would have endangered her role as an emergency back-up for Superman in case something ever happened to him), she decided to destroy her own fortress rather than risk having her existence revealed to the world too soon.  From that time until her death in the 1985 Crisis on Infinite Earths reboot, she simply shared Superman's arctic fortress as his full and equal partner. 

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
On 11/22/2017 at 6:08 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't know.  I think if a young person was widowed, it's not unreasonable to think that he would be remarried by year 7.  What if he wants kids?  Or just doesn't want to be alone?  I think the better the previous relationship you had, the more you would want to replicate that feeling.  The unhappily married/partnered would be less likely to want to try again.

I read some research sometime that found that when the first marriage was good, men tended to remarry soon (like within a year) while women were more reluctant and less likely to remarry.  If the first marriage was bad, men didn't want to remarry while women were more likely to than the men.

• Love 2

I think 7 years is a reasonable amount of time to move on from a relationship that lasted 6 months, at most. Especially since there didn't even seem to be a way for him to get back until recently (for him).

• Love 2
On 11/22/2017 at 8:29 AM, KirkB said:

As much as I like Harewood and J'onn, this is the biggest problem with him being on the show at all. He is, for all intents and purposes, more useful in virtually every situation than Kara. Which is why they constantly have to go to such great lengths to incapacitate him just to give Kara something to do.

That's been a big problem since the Martian Manhunter was first created. Since he has strength and durability that rivals Superman (at least until the Big Blue Boy Scout becomes absurdly powerful and they have to reset the whole universe just to get him down to a reasonable level... again) and has such a large number of really useful powers which makes most of the Justice League entirely redundant they have to keep sidelining him somehow in order for any other superhero to have anything to do whenever he's around. This show is no exception and I suspect the reasons to keep him out of everything will only get more and more stupid.

Edited by immortalfrieza
44 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

That's been a big problem since the Martian Manhunter was first created. Since he has strength and durability that rivals Superman (at least until the Big Blue Boy Scout becomes absurdly powerful and they have to reset the whole universe just to get him down to a reasonable level... again) and has such a large number of really useful powers which makes most of the Justice League entirely redundant they have to keep sidelining him somehow in order for any other superhero to have anything to do whenever he's around. This show is no exception and I suspect the reasons to keep him out of everything will only get more and more stupid.

They had the same problem in Smallville where they kept having him leave Earth. Finally they had him sacrifice his powers or something so he couldn't Manhunter ex machine everything.

The Mon El stuff was really depressing. He felt like such a different character and it was like watching Kara lose him all over again. I don't know where they can really go from here.

Really don't care about the Reign storyline. Firstly on a random note I don't know how I never noticed it but how skinny is Odette Annable - she's tiny. Secondly while I don't mind Sam I couldn't care less about her family drama and it feels like they shoved her into the main fold so we'd all be shocked/devastated when she turns. She's been normal for six episodes and now suddenly she's evil after a quick visit to that tunnel place?

It all feels very unearned.

Edited by Chas411
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Secondly while I don't mind Sam I couldn't care less about her family drama and it feels like they shoved her into the main fold so we'd all be shocked/devastated when she turns.

I'm just annoyed by this idea that being "evil" isn't a choice but is somehow genetically hardwired. It has always pissed me off with these characters. No, someone doesn't just magically become a bad guy because of their genes. Comics always come down on the wrong side of the nature/nurture debate.

• Love 1