Type keyword(s) to search

Current Squad 2017-2018: Media, Music, Videos & Show Group

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

My unpopular opinions:

1.  I like Charlotte. Some may say she landed her role with the DC organization through nepotism, but the woman has proven herself to be a driven, shrewd business person. She's busted her butt and she strikes me as someone you would not want to piss off. 

2. I like Kelli.  I may not always agree with her, and I'm not so naive I don't think she has favorites, but she's human. She's also turned the Cheerleaders into the success they are today. She should guest lecture in college marketing classes on how to take a successful brand and turn it into a profitable, in-demand commodity. In her “spare” time of course. About the only thing I don't like is some of her dress selections lol, but if they make her feel good, then to hell with my opinion, lol. 

3. I absolutely adore Judy. In the entire time of watching the show there have only been 2 instances now where I've wanted to say WTF? She obviously cares about the team and about the quality of their performances. The DCC performance quality makes other teams look like sloppy high school pom squads that are regurgitating DCC choreo while drunk on MD 20/20.

4. Speaking of drunk....   every 20-something girl I've ever known, myself included, had gone to clubs and drank while not quite 21, and maybe even smoked a thing or two. Luckily though, none of us had a very high profile job and had signed a contract to behave.  So, to the divas that were cut, reprimanded or quit because of said behavior,  if you *must* do something shady, at least have the common sense to NOT DO IT IN PUBLIC.  You're not irreplaceable, no matter how many twitter/IG stalkers gush over you night and day. 

5.  Melissa R and Anthony R add zero value to the show. They have zero credibility for anything DCC-related and steal time from the things that I really want to see. Whatever CMT is paying them for their so-called expertise is a waste of money.

• Love 13

I agree with pretty much everything you've said.  Anthony Ramos is adorable and has a great personality but.... yeah.

Melissa Rycroft.  Again, nice girl.  But.... Really I have no comment.  There's nothing really to dislike, nor does she add much.  Maybe the girls in training camp appreciate her though...

Judy, Kelli, and Charlotte- I am fans of all for different reasons.  Yes- Charlotte business acumen, Judy- not fake, very straight-forward, Kelli- huge amount of hard work, responsibility, dedication, and sacrifice to direct a team like this for so long.  

• Love 4

I love Melissa Rycroft.  I liked her when she was on the team.  I thought she was way more relatable than some of the others.  I loved her on Dancing with the Stars.  She worked hard and the dances she did were not easy.  She's fun and perky.  I know people love to hate her but she tells the ones she mentors what do do such as flirt with the camera or toss their hair or how to fix their routine more than Judy screaming It's messy or wrong.  Melissa is on a morning talk show and has done well for herself.

I like some of the Kitty clips.  She tells it like it is.  My favorite is her making fun of Vivian's tin man routine.  That was so bad that Kitty really helped her.

I am thrilled we have no more Vivian who spent to much time reading her own press.  On that note, fortunately got rid of Kathryn Dunn.  Don't go back to tryout for DCC if you cannot handle being talked about on a blog.  She is pretty but a bad dancer.

I liked Cassie.  She made fun of herself and had to be tough to stand the constant sniping about her..  She may not have been the best her first year but certainly earned her 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.  The 5th she was injured but not the first nor will it be the last injured to make the team.  She's a known commodity.

I miss Brooke Sorenson, Meredith Ogden, Mackenzie, Jenn K, and Whitney I.  All of those girls were amazing.  And well spoken.

Dayton.  She really was not that great in her tryouts beside bombing the interview.  She looked better in dance class clips but I thought tryouts she looked boxy and if her mother was not involved, she would not have been talked about.

Yuko needs to go.  She is ok in a solo and comes across adorable but cannot do the DCC dance.  

Love Kashara and so why tired of when someone makes fun of her accent.

Hannah..........I heard she got herself so thin for tryouts and spent the year in trouble for her weight.  She had a bad attitude about it and the weight effected her dancing.  i do not miss her.  I thought they spent so much time drooling over Hannah at her first training camp she decided she could do no wrong.  

I liked Danielle.  I felt sorry for her when Jasmine was cut but Jasmine was not in shape and danced poorly that year.  Danielle i like because she has always had to work hard to be able to do this.  No parents or husband supporting her.

Chelsea,  Although some of her stuff was funny, she was really a clunky dancer and does not know how to handle management.  I loved the we are fat video but Chelsea you did talk yourself off the team.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Java said:

4. Speaking of drunk....   every 20-something girl I've ever known, myself included, had gone to clubs and drank while not quite 21, and maybe even smoked a thing or two. Luckily though, none of us had a very high profile job and had signed a contract to behave.  So, to the divas that were cut, reprimanded or quit because of said behavior,  if you *must* do something shady, at least have the common sense to NOT DO IT IN PUBLIC.  You're not irreplaceable, no matter how many twitter/IG stalkers gush over you night and day. 

I'll take this UO one further...I am sick to death of the Holly is young excuse being thrown around.  Lacey made it out of high school & manages to stay out of trouble/controversy.  Madeline isn't causing any problems that we hear about.  Plain and simple, I think Holly got too big for her britches, adopted a "they need me more than I need them" attitude, and then couldn't handle it when that was proven false when they didn't take her on the Hall of Fame trip.  For her sake I hope she loses this mentality.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I'll take this UO one further...I am sick to death of the Holly is young excuse being thrown around.  Lacey made it out of high school & manages to stay out of trouble/controversy.  Madeline isn't causing any problems that we hear about.  Plain and simple, I think Holly got too big for her britches, adopted a "they need me more than I need them" attitude, and then couldn't handle it when that was proven false when they didn't take her on the Hall of Fame trip.  For her sake I hope she loses this mentality.

YAASSS! They're almost all very young. Half the team is probably under 21. 

• Love 5

I totally agree with you @ByTor and @RazzleberryPie  There's a comment on the Group Leaders picture (the one that seems to be at the same place when they took the Squad photo) that said "Holly and Erica ARE the DCC.  I'm done watching" (Emphasis mine).   Excuse me, but the DCC were here long before Holly and will be here long after and they've had some amazing dancers throughout the years.  Holly isn't all that and a dish of ice cream.  There is no ONE person that represents the team (except in Pro Bowl but that's another storyline) so, no matter how good a girl is, she ISN'T the team.  Holly was a very good dancer, but she was a "me", not a "we" person and if she had the expectation of it being all about her while the rest were her backup dancers?  It may be a good thing she's gone.  We'll have to see the reasoning behind it if they show us.  As for Erica, it's an injury and, depending on the injury, it could be that the best thing for her was to pull out, let herself heal up completely, then slowly come back to it based on doctor's orders and her own choices.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

There's a comment on the Group Leaders picture (the one that seems to be at the same place when they took the Squad photo) that said "Holly and Erica ARE the DCC.  I'm done watching" (Emphasis mine).   Excuse me, but the DCC were here long before Holly and will be here long after and they've had some amazing dancers throughout the years.  Holly isn't all that and a dish of ice cream.  There is no ONE person that represents the team (except in Pro Bowl but that's another storyline) so, no matter how good a girl is, she ISN'T the team.

LOL I saw that comment (I think it was on the MTT Facebook page?), and what you are saying is exactly what I've been saying.  I don't care how great Holly, Erica, or any of them are, eventually they are going to be gone...even if they decided to break all records and stay 15 years, after 15 years, they'd be gone.  And guess what?  The DCC will probably still exist!  They existed before either of them were born, for heaven's sake!  If the organization doesn't survive, it will be because of $$$, not because any one person is gone.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

I totally agree with you @ByTor and @RazzleberryPie  There's a comment on the Group Leaders picture (the one that seems to be at the same place when they took the Squad photo) that said "Holly and Erica ARE the DCC.  I'm done watching" (Emphasis mine).   Excuse me, but the DCC were here long before Holly and will be here long after and they've had some amazing dancers throughout the years.  Holly isn't all that and a dish of ice cream.  There is no ONE person that represents the team (except in Pro Bowl but that's another storyline) so, no matter how good a girl is, she ISN'T the team.  Holly was a very good dancer, but she was a "me", not a "we" person and if she had the expectation of it being all about her while the rest were her backup dancers?  It may be a good thing she's gone.  We'll have to see the reasoning behind it if they show us.  As for Erica, it's an injury and, depending on the injury, it could be that the best thing for her was to pull out, let herself heal up completely, then slowly come back to it based on doctor's orders and her own choices.

:clapping:

Except for the Erica part, I agree completely. Erica though has always struck me as being a bit of a wild card and a little full of herself. From the first year when she tried out and she ignored Kitty's advice about her hair, and then got snarky in the video afterwards, to bits and pieces that I've seen of her elsewhere, she also seemed to overestimate her value to the DCC. I get she may have a sarcastic sense of humor, but something about her presence on the team just seemed off to me. Like she knew she didn't have to be there, so she was going to do the bare minimum and grace them with her presence. I hope she heals well and can continue her dance career because the girl can dance, but yea....

Continue your career elsewhere. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Java said:

:clapping:

Except for the Erica part, I agree completely. Erica though has always struck me as being a bit of a wild card and a little full of herself. From the first year when she tried out and she ignored Kitty's advice about her hair, and then got snarky in the video afterwards, to bits and pieces that I've seen of her elsewhere, she also seemed to overestimate her value to the DCC. I get she may have a sarcastic sense of humor, but something about her presence on the team just seemed off to me. Like she knew she didn't have to be there, so she was going to do the bare minimum and grace them with her presence. I hope she heals well and can continue her dance career because the girl can dance, but yea....

Continue your career elsewhere. 

You just put into words what I could never articulate! She was amazing her first year and then each year after that, she kind of just faded and didn't stand out to me as much. As if she couldn't be bothered anymore. And I think she only auditioned again because Jenna re-auditioned. 

• Love 2

I stand by my original criticism of the overdramatic showing of the trials and tribulations the ladies have experienced. (Side note: in no way did I mean anything wrong against people battling autoimmune disease--have friends with lupus, Lyme, and MS, it's some life and death ish for sure!).  Again, my heart goes out to the ones who have lost people important to them. It's just comes across as choppy and rough. How can a viewer enjoy the show as a young woman discusses losing her father (couldn't even imagine--horrible!) and smoothly transition to the next clip of "here is the same young lady doing 8 sail turns and finishing with a sassy pose!"  If they (DCC) didn't go radio silent over the summer, or maybe released these clips over time before airing, it wouldn't be so bad IMO and we would root for them more. I feel like there were several tragic back stories (am I wrong did I miss one?) this year. I'm exhausted emotionally from them. Can we focus on dancing? Not everything has to be a mini "30 for 30." 

I like the behind the scenes stuff they are showing--Kelly in the locker room with the TCC, for instance. What I would pay to see the PowerPoint/Prezo from first night of TC ?

Also, wish they would post the ranking of the TCC - I am sooo curious to see who placed what in finals.  It would be interesting to see rookies who outperformed vets and vets who are just untouchable (CERSTEN, THAT'S YOU, YASSSS GIRL)

I would have put this is the show criticism thread but I figured my opinion would be unpopular so I came here lol

Edited by Cappuccinagina
Can't do the spellings and grammar and such
  • Love 8

Unpopular as it may be, I thought Cassie was the only real one last night.  Mia came off extremely bitchy.  Not a fan.  In fact, they all did.  Tina Kalina got hit with the ugly stick.  She is SO not HD friendly. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cappuccinagina said:

Side note: in no way did I mean anything wrong against people battling autoimmune disease

For the record, I didn't think you meant anything by it :)  I do get what you mean, it's a fluffy show about professional cheerleaders, tragic stories kind of throw that fluffiness out of whack.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Runnergrl37 said:

Unpopular as it may be, I thought Cassie was the only real one last night.  Mia came off extremely bitchy.  Not a fan.  In fact, they all did.  Tina Kalina got hit with the ugly stick.  She is SO not HD friendly. 

Oh I wa totally getting alumni envy vibes. Out of all of them, Ashton could probably make it on the team today lol 

Not sure if this is "unpopular" but I am incredibly disappointed that Kalyssa has apparently made the team. Kelli and Judy love to talk about how important it is for the girls to be role models and then they put a girl on the team who was valedictorian of her high school, but decided not going to college and becoming an NBA dancer instead was a good choice? In my opinion, that's the complete opposite of who I'd want young girls to look up to. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lizzi6692 said:

Not sure if this is "unpopular" but I am incredibly disappointed that Kalyssa has apparently made the team. Kelli and Judy love to talk about how important it is for the girls to be role models and then they put a girl on the team who was valedictorian of her high school, but decided not going to college and becoming an NBA dancer instead was a good choice? In my opinion, that's the complete opposite of who I'd want young girls to look up to. 

How about Jenna, Madeline, Holly, Caila, Kinzie.... probably dozens of other 18 year olds on the team that never went to College.  Yes some of these girls take one paper a year a call themselves 'students' on their DCC bios but never graduate. Did Cassie ever graduate? Dayton left Arizona after one semester and then auditioned for the team. 

I personally think college is important for lots of reasons but it would be impossible to single Kalyssa out for this. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, lizzi6692 said:

Agree but if I could possibly spin the dancer part--dancers kind of have limited careers depending on their chosen dance technique, and money available for attire, auditions (EXPEN$IVE PREP) and it's a gamble when you get older--injuries, your look, weight, getting chosen during an audition, your competition gets younger as you get older blah blah blah--sometimes dancers pick dance over college as a career because that's the only way they can get into the industry. Sometimes it's just too expensive to get onto a college dance team so they try it right after HS. Hopefully, she has found something beyond dance to pursue, too. One ligament tear can end a dance career like OMG. 

*apologies for coming across as dancer know-it-all. Just trying to be devil's advocate ? 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, RhiRhi said:

How about Jenna, Madeline, Holly, Caila, Kinzie.... probably dozens of other 18 year olds on the team that never went to College.  Yes some of these girls take one paper a year a call themselves 'students' on their DCC bios but never graduate. Did Cassie ever graduate? Dayton left Arizona after one semester and then auditioned for the team. 

I personally think college is important for lots of reasons but it would be impossible to single Kalyssa out for this. 

I singled her out because she's the first one(as far as I know) to go on the show and make a huge deal about how she chose dance over college. If that's the best she/the producers could come up with for her "this is why I'm interesting" segment, I don't think it says great things about her. 

28 minutes ago, HowdeeDo said:

Choosing a path other than college ≠ not a role model

Even if she had the ability to go, she chose to follow a path that she loved. Young girls can look up to both, can they not? Let's not devalue someone just because she didn't take the expected path. 

Yes I think forgoing college as a valedictorian, which would have made her a shoo in at the vast majority of schools, for a job with an expiration date was a very poor decision and I think going on national tv and talking about it as if it was a point of pride makes her a poor role model.

• Love 7

My only eyebrow was forgoing college to pursue her dance dreams...40 minutes up the road for part time NBA cheerleading. Didn't seem like it needed to be an either or situation, so I'm hoping we'll get some more back story. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, OKWordweaver said:

Y'all. How is that any different than a dude taking a sports job over college.  Come on.  Double standard.  

I don't deny that there are double standards, but I do think there's a difference between a football or basketball player leaving college early to make millions as a pro athlete, as opposed to Kalyssa skipping college when there appears to be no reason why she couldn't take classes and dance. And even then, lots of people don't like it when male athletes skip or leave college early either. 

With that said, college isn't for everyone, even extremely smart people. If Kalyssa is happy and able to support herself, then good for her!

• Love 6

I definitely think that with Kalyssa, the issue is that she doesn't really have much to support a career. Girls like Holly will always get dance gigs, even if not extremely successful. Kalyssa lacks technique and her only dance qualifications is NBA and DCC and she isn't even THAT good. There are so many rockstars in pro dance who will get all the good coaching positions, so she will be left with nothing at 30. And she doesn't have a solid career so she will probably spend her life as a receptionist. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but a valedictorian could definitely do bigger and better. Then again, she may not have bigger aspirations and as long as she can support herself, she will be okay.

However, let's be real; they say they want well rounded girls but for me it's only because they're trying to look serious and not get labeled with the bimbo cheerleader who is looking for a husband stereotype. And yet most of the girls just retire and get married and only a few of them have real careers. Jenna is still listed as a student and she is 23. I don't think I've ever seen a girl posting about her graduation or anything about college. And honestly? I don't even care if the cheerleaders have a degree or not.

Edited by dreamcatcher
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, OKWordweaver said:

Y'all. How is that any different than a dude taking a sports job over college.  Come on.  Double standard.  

As previously stated by someone else, they get paid real money. Also, most professional sports leagues have rules that make it so an athlete can't leave high school and go directly to the pros so it is in their best interest to go to college so they can continue playing during that time. And it's significantly easier to go back to school when you've already completed 50% or more of your degree than it is to convince yourself to start in your mid to late 20s. And it's not uncommon for football players(it may happen in other sports too, I just don't follow them) to go back and work on their degrees during the off season. As awareness of the long term effects of certain injuries is increasing more people are realizing that their shelf-life as a professional athlete is less than they'd hoped it would be so they are planning for the future.

• Love 3

Statistically speaking, the majority of people who don't go to college right out of high school won't go at all. Not to mention, the majority of merit aid is reserved for those who go from high school directly to college. Any leverage she had by being valedictorian is pretty much gone by taking 2 or more years off between high school and college.

• Love 5

I have a couple of friends who didn't go to college right after school, but then started thinking about it a few years later. Most of the ones who did decide to go to college later then dropped out again because they thought they preferred earning  money to spending a couple of years as students. It is totally okay that college isn't for everyone! Some people just need more time to figure out what they want to do. As long as you are happy with the choices you make that's fine. And Kalyssa seems to have a very supportive family who stand behind her and her decisions

• Love 3

When it seemed like she was a very smart woman who could have gotten scholarships it was hard to understand giving that up, but now that I've seen a bit more of her I think she made the right choice. She doesn't seem like the school type.

It is never too late to go to college or get other education or certification.  As a nursing college professor my two oldest students were 65 and 70 and they both did fine.  Not everyone is ready or even knows at age 18 what they want to spend the next 40-50 years doing.  I have certainly seen students who wasted their money, their parent's money and scholarships because of not being ready.  Valedictorians are common especially at the colleges they apply to so it doesn't really carry the weight you would anticipate.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, healthnut said:

Someone pointed this out on Facebook from the Indy preseason game. Too early Christina. 

IMG_0233.JPG

This was addressed on another board.  She didn't jump early, she just didn't jump as high as the others so she landed a split second sooner.

Go look at the pics from this last game.  They have multiple issues....timing in one pic of Jessika and Alexandria.  Then there are 2 pics from each end of the kick line.  I do believe the 2 blondes win horrible leg extensions are Christine and Lauren.  How did they make it with kicks like that ???? 

Early in AM Holly tweeted this. Live life on the wild side(with a mouse and a lion emoji) Sorry techno challenged.

In looking at her twitter followers, she has several of the rookies following her, Tasha, Kelsey Bond, Mia, Jay Johnson, Judy and Kelli.  None of the cheerleaders including the rookies are using their DCC twitter accounts.  Seems like she must be poison to be not followed by her peers.  The plot thickens.  Oh I forgot Candice Romo too!

Edited by cherryblossom
Forgot some info
1 hour ago, lfedncr said:

Go look at the pics from this last game.  They have multiple issues....timing in one pic of Jessika and Alexandria.  Then there are 2 pics from each end of the kick line.  I do believe the 2 blondes win horrible leg extensions are Christine and Lauren.  How did they make it with kicks like that ???? 

Seriously. The line isn't straight..kicks are all over the place..it just looks sloppy.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2017 at 5:22 PM, Java said:

My unpopular opinions:

2. I like Kelli.  I may not always agree with her, and I'm not so naive I don't think she has favorites, but she's human. She's also turned the Cheerleaders into the success they are today. She should guest lecture in college marketing classes on how to take a successful brand and turn it into a profitable, in-demand commodity. In her “spare” time of course. About the only thing I don't like is some of her dress selections lol, but if they make her feel good, then to hell with my opinion, lol. 

3. I absolutely adore Judy. In the entire time of watching the show there have only been 2 instances now where I've wanted to say WTF? She obviously cares about the team and about the quality of their performances. The DCC performance quality makes other teams look like sloppy high school pom squads that are regurgitating DCC choreo while drunk on MD 20/20.

5.  Melissa R and Anthony R add zero value to the show. They have zero credibility for anything DCC-related and steal time from the things that I really want to see. Whatever CMT is paying them for their so-called expertise is a waste of money.

None of these are unpopular. LOL! I completely agree.

On 8/25/2017 at 6:49 PM, lizzi6692 said:

College isn't for everyone. I definitely don't think you NEED to go to be a role model.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LadyMsJay said:

Seriously. The line isn't straight..kicks are all over the place..it just looks sloppy.

Yeah that's a mess. Looks like there's a blond a few from Keyra's end (closest to us in that clip), who isn't even kicking some of the time. Are my eyes deceiving me?

• Love 2

Unless there's more to the story then shown (and there had better be), Kalyssa's "I gave up college for dance" refrain doesn't make sense to me when she's only doing it part time.  If she'd said that and revealed that she had gone to New York, L..A. or Miami (cruise ships) and really been pursuing her dreams that way, people would be rooting for her, but since she's been really pushing the "part-time dancer" and no indication of what she's doing to actually support or better herself, that's what I think is really bothering people.  Yes, it's great she's pursuing her dancing dream, but is she working full time?  Is she going to school?  Is she teaching dance?  WHAT is she doing besides dancing part time?  While I want her to be happy and have fun dancing, there's also this thing called being an adult and it isn't always about having fun and being happy.  There's also responsibility in that she's working, paying bills, doing homework, doing SOMETHING that shows she's just not an older version of the stereotypical lazy teenager who expects to stay out "partying" all night and sleep all day without doing any chores, work or homework.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

I don't know where it was but someone said they thought they had seen Erica on the telethon.  I saw it on twitter and curly haired Nicole was there with 2 others also

That was Allstars Katy. 

On 8/28/2017 at 7:45 AM, lfedncr said:

Judy is going to be as mad as a hornet when she sees the replay. Obviously, the guys in the stands do not care.

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 2
On 8/26/2017 at 10:45 PM, cherryblossom said:

It is never too late to go to college or get other education or certification.  As a nursing college professor my two oldest students were 65 and 70 and they both did fine.  Not everyone is ready or even knows at age 18 what they want to spend the next 40-50 years doing.  I have certainly seen students who wasted their money, their parent's money and scholarships because of not being ready.  Valedictorians are common especially at the colleges they apply to so it doesn't really carry the weight you would anticipate.

Thank you for pointing this out.  I went to college at 18 and flunked out because I was too immature and had no clue what I wanted out of life or career.  So, instead, I worked various jobs full time throughout my 20s before deciding around age 26-27 that I wanted to get a degree.  So I went back to school in my late 20s after figuring out what I actually was interested in, and graduated college at age 30.

My own mother didn't even graduate college until she was 40 because she got married at age 18 and had 4 babies soon after. 

Theres no "time frame" that you must go to college -- if you ever decide to at all!

• Love 9
On 1/11/2017 at 1:35 PM, ByTor said:

I thought so as well.  I never understood the Brooke love at all.

I think they tried to add more diverse styles...so a mix of glams as well as the tom boy, athletic type. Even a couple of granolas but those usually never worked out. For example, there were two sisters on the team early on that were long time veterans I think. Their names escape me. Their builds and look were totally butch if left natural. Their builds were stocky and square, their faces were very manly with sharp features - one more than the other. Both got called out for physique and had to work with Jay. The net is they both had to work very very hard to glam it up enough to come off as DCC, lose weight, be completely restyled.They were great dancers so w/a lot of re-styling In the end they persevered but they were highly processed and absolutely nothing natural about them. 

Also, given it's in Texas - cowboy country - there are a lot of cowgirls that grow up with a lot of masculine influences and are a step away from Drag when they glam up. I have noticed that there are always 2 or 3 of these types on the team. They do usually wind up being J&K Favs - e.g. Brook, the sisters I am referring to. I'll come back with their names but they were also a blink away from Drag. 

Edited by larellG
  • Love 1