Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Forgotten Bakes

• Start Topic

This week's recipes:

Stacey's camembert and caramelised onion clanger
Steven's Mediterranean clanger
Liam's spiced plum and apple clanger

Paul's cumberland rum nicky (this is a video he did on his show a few years ago about the history of the cumberland rum nicky and then demonstrates how to make one around the 8 minute mark)

Stacey's lemon savoy cake with raspberry and St. Clements macarons (weirdly there is no raspberry anywhere in this recipe)
Kate's pecan Savoy cake

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

That’s twice now I think that Kate should have been the one to go. 

Damn. Still annoyed. 

I think it could be three times.

Can't believe they thought she did or could do better than Liam

• Love 6

I'd never heard of Bedfordshire clangers so I'm glad they explained what they are. It's hard for me to hate on a pastry with delicious filling, so having two different fillings in one pastry sounds pretty awesome to me! Heh, I had to laugh when Sandi referred to the little dough divider as the Berlin Wall and then a Trump wall.

Steven wins this week:
"Mine are massive. I've got huge clangers."
"You don't want a hot nut in your face, do you?"

I feel like this season, we haven't seen a lot of effort put into presentation. In the past, we had all kinds of baskets, plates, and other sorts of presentation props. It's the eighth week and Liam's pizza box seemed like more effort than we've seen most of the season. It also seemed like this was the most decorating we've had for the showstoppers. I'd much rather see some ambitious showstoppers like this than overly simple ones. We finally got to see some decorating techniques!

Steven's Mediterranean clangers were confusing to me, only because what Noel described in the voiceover didn't totally match up with the labels on the drawing. This is not the first time it's happened on the show though so I always wonder why it happens whenever I notice it. The drawing said sweet potato on one end and medjool dates and fresh figs on the other end.. The voiceover said feta and onion on one end and orange blossom baklava at the other end. Paul's pronunciation of baklava confused me.

Liam's pizza clangers with sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, and pesto chicken on one side and apples and plums on the other side sounded good. Loved his pizza box! And no, Paul, dipping sauce isn't unheard of.

Stacey's camembert, caramelized onion, and rocket clangers with apple, blueberry, and custard on the other side sounded really good. But it drives me crazy that she always looks like she's cringing

Sophie's char siu clanger with banana, pecan praline, and chocolate on the other side sounded delicious. Loved the little piggies on the char siu side.

Kate's bean burrito clanger with vegetable chili and brown rice and banana rice pudding with rum and raisins on the other side did not sound like something I'd enjoy (despite my love of Mexican food). I felt bad when she dropped one though.

So much unbaked pastry in the technical! So it was like a fruitcake with a lattice top?

I had no idea what a Savoy cake was so I liked the brief history lesson. Then I realized it's just a bundt cake on top of a sponge cake base.

Stacey's lemon and orange cake was very Stacey - pink and girlie bordering on immature (like something a six year old would like) and a million things going on. What makes a St. Clements buttercream different from regular buttercream? She really gave herself a lot to do - macarons, madeleines, jellies, and meringue. Is she the first baker to ever break the oven door? I wonder what production would have done if she hadn't been so close to taking her stuff out of the oven. If she had done that when her cake needed an hour to bake, would they have intervened or tried to help her?

Steven's chestnut rum Savoy cake with cinnamon apples was really gorgeous. I loved the way he used the walnuts to accent the shape of the mold. The roses were so beautiful and I liked the simple but sophisticated ribbon accent. I think if it had been a little taller, they would have liked it more. I'd like to point out that his cake was taller than Stacey's.

Kate's pecan almond chocolate Savoy cake was very childish looking in the decorations. I also didn't like that the cake shape she used were so simple. But damn, five cakes and 60 eggs!

Liam's with lemon and elderflower wizard Savoy cake did look a bit messy (I think that 99% of the time, spun sugar makes desserts look messy), but I think it was the lack of flavor in his cakes that did him in.

Sophie's yuzu Savoy cake with green apple croquembouche looked very clean and sophisticated. If I were judging on only aesthetics, Sophie's and Steven's were head and shoulders ahead of everyone else.

I can't believe they kept Kate and eliminated Liam. Poor guy! It was obvious that everyone loves him, so it was sweet to see everyone hug him while he was crying.

• Love 7

I'm still irked Liam had to go and Kate managed to stay! I am not pleased how her luck seems to keep her in the show.

I will really miss Liam.  Poor Sandi's voice was breaking as she announced it.

Going into the finals, I can say that I want Steven to win. He was also consistently kind to other bakers this week. He helped Kate with her temperature during the Signature and offered his oven to Stacey. I would also like to see Sophie win for consistency and her cool baking style. Third would be Stacey and I wish Kate to be eliminated next week.

• Love 18

As much as I wanted Liam to win the whole thing, he was the worst on the balance of the 3 challenges this week therefore he goes home. That's how it works.

Now I get to root for Sophie full time!

• Love 6

I'm heartbroken. Poor Liam.  After a day to digest the outcome, it's still ridiculous.  On balance, Kate could've kicked rocks weeks ago, she had a poor signature, was mediocre in the technical this week, and her 60-egg tower was simplistic and dry.  Sending Liam home instead of her was a bad decision.  And I'm not even going to touch Stacey in the star baker conversation.  I don't know what this week was, but I feel like Mary Berry wouldn't have let any of it happen. 

12 hours ago, Occasional Hope said:

St Clements means orange and lemon flavour.

Oranges and lemons go the bells of St. Clements ... I always think of that rhyme.

Bedfordshire clangers seem awfully ungainly for something to carry out into the fields. Good idea though, sweet and savory wrapped up in a neat little package.  I have to say Liam's and Steven's sounded like the only ones whose fillings went together, so that I'd actually want to eat the sweet bit after the savory.

I guess it's Steven vs. Sophie from here on out.

• Love 7

Heartbreaking to see, but, I can't say it wasn't fair.

Honestly, they're all pretty solid (except maybe for Kate always slipping through), and now it's a good baker going home due to having an off day, no matter whom it ends up being.

• Love 2

Oh good, I thought it may just be me who was confused by Kate's survival.  I knew he was often in trouble, but I thought Liam had that Stacey like nine lives thing.  I should have known, I always root for the young ones and they often go out around this time in the competition.

• Love 3

I wasn't broken up about Liam leaving. I didn't develop a great deal of affection for him. Maybe it was because I binge-watched the season but he didn't really stand out to me as a personality though he has a cute laugh. He's young and on a show that edited more viciously, he would have been made out to be a little arrogant and entitled. Apparently there were times when his bakes tasted great but since TV is a visual medium, I end up remembering people who succeeded in presentation more than I remember people who made things that tasted good. 

I was excited after the intro because speaking of Sue Perkins, I really like the Supersizers series. They didn't really stretch the bakers that much. As Liam said, it's pretty much just a pasty connected in the middle. Also, I'm torn on how I feel about the outside the competition video segments like the stroop wafels and the visit to Cambridge. I feel like they should be a constant thing or not happen at all. It's weird for them to just happen some of the time. But then I also don't want a constant video segment to explain one bake every episode. 

• Love 2

Cumberland Rum Nicky eh?  I have a St Michael's Home Baking (1979) cookbook that I refer to for traditional British stuff and sure enough there was a recipe for this.  And it DID NOT have a lattice top (so there Paul!)  Still, I can't believe what a meal the bakers were making of doing the lattice.  It's incredibly easy to do it straight on top of the pie and you don't have that transfer issue.  I did like Steven's creative first take on the lattice and was sorry it didn't work out for him.

The Bedfordshire Clangers was an interesting, if somewhat simple challenge.  Cornish Pasties also were sometimes made with savory and sweet ends.  And the important thing for these types of hand pies is that the pastry has to be ROBUST to withstand being transported into less-than-perfect environments.  The thick edges were sometimes discarded rather than eaten (along the lines of trenchers)

Overall I thought this was more of a let-up week: nothing particularly challenging.

Oh and I'm really liking Noel!!  He's a terrific host and he's often doing pretty funny things in the background.

• Love 3

I was surprised to see Liam go, but he really had a bad week.  His "showstopper" was truly awful. Kate's was pretty marginal, too, but at least it was ambitious.  I have no idea what a "Liver Bird" is, so learned something new. 

I was surprised that so many of these very experienced and talented bakers had so much trouble with the lattice. 

• Love 1

I hate suspense so read the thread before watching the episode.  Now that I know Liam went home, I may not watch.  Stacey and Kate have been far weaker in past bakes and therefore should have gone home before Liam.  I'm pouting.

• Love 4

I do the same PaulaO. I need to know how far my favorites make it so as not to be gutted by their ousting. I am glad I knew Liam was going this ep or I would have been bawling like a baby. I really fell in love with him. I think both Kate and Stacy should have gone ages ago so it does upset me that they outlasted him. 

Still, it was worth the watch. This is a good group of bakers, fun, no one seems to be taking the competition too seriously, and they seem a creative and mostly adventurous bunch. 

• Love 2

I've been to England, but never to Liverpool, and had never heard of the Liver tower, or bird. However, I was confused that they pronounce Liverpool with a short i, like the body part, and the bird and tower with a long i (Lye-ver)  

So sad that Liam went home, but he did come in last in the technical (if I am remembering correctly..I'm binge watching) and his final tower was a mess, thanks to melting sugar. Which wouldn't have been a problem if his flavors had been good. Poor Liam, but it's hard to feel too sorry for the really young contestants like Liam and Julie, they still have miles to go, don't want to peak too early. LOL

I think that the heat and humidity wreaked havoc with the lattices and made it so fussy for that rum thingy. And that wasn't even the really hot day, but everybody has been sweating like mad through every episode, and I can't imagine doing something that fiddly in the heat. I notice that Paul said the proper baking time was 35 minutes, and not one baker got theirs in the oven until after the 30 minute mark. So it was a miracle that Steven's was done. 

I am absolutely loving Sandi and Noel. They are quietly funny and not quite as frenetic as Sue and Mel could get. I find myself laughing out loud several times per episode, which is new for me. This particular batch of bakers is also very funny and sometimes top the professionals (comics that is)

• Love 3

So surprised the that Liam went home, I thought he would make it to the end.

When they were doing the signature bake, was anybody else astounded by the amount of eggs each baker had? And they were all brown & stamped too, that was a ton of eggs. I guess the show supplied them, I've never been sure what the show gives them & what they bring.

Edited by GaT
23 minutes ago, GaT said:

So surprised the Liam went home, I thought he would make it to the end.

When they were doing the signature bake, was anybody else astounded by the amount of eggs each baker had? And they were all brown & stamped too, that was a ton of eggs. I guess the show supplied them, I've never been sure what the show gives them & what they bring.

I thought no I read somewhere that for the signature and showstopper bakes, the contestants give the organizers a list of the ingredients they’re planning on using. Although I have seen contestants bring in their own ‘speciality’ ingredients, usually things that wouldn’t necessarily be widely available. 

The list provided to the show is probably just to give them a rough idea of the quantities of the basic ingredients (flour sugar eggs etc) on hand. Although I’m sure they have ample supplies on standby. 

• Love 3

I had to laugh at Steven's line "If they are forgotten bakes, there is probably a good reason".  

I will miss Liam, I thought he was a cute young guy with some wonderful quips. But since he is young he has a long way to go.  Hope he keeps baking as it seems his flavors were always to wonderful.

There is something about Stacey that I find annoying although I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps my memory is bad but it seems to me that she has had a number of minor catastrophes but keeps managing to hang on.

Sophie seems more introverted than the others, just quietly goes about her business whilst tuning the others out.  I am pulling for her.

As has been said, they are so nice about helping each other when something happens.

• Love 5

I'm watching the show stopper now, at those lovely molds. I bought an intricate mold (of course, to do a cake from an earlier season of GBBO that I wasn't actually all that fond of). Bakers out there, what sort of cake would be good in a mold like that that ISN'T a savoy cake? Now that fall is arriving I'm ready to do some more baking.

It was fun watching Sophie with her petals-- she first made a little dab of chocolate on parchment, drew it out into the petal, then put it in a baguette mold to curve it (and I have so many toys that I even have one of those....)

Edited by dleighg

Farewell, Liam, and good luck. One thing I thought was amusing in this episode was when Paul criticized the size of Steven's showstopper and asked what he'd been doing for 4 hours. I wanted Steven to ask if he had seen all the gorgeous fondant roses he made. Those things don't make themselves, especially in the heat.

I am really relieved that this season has been going so well. And that Noel, who had the potential to be annoying, has turned out to be funny and sweet and an excellent host. He's what I would call "gently loopy" in a good way. He and Sandi seem to balance each other out.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

I wanted Steven to ask if he had seen all the gorgeous fondant roses he made. Those things don't make themselves, especially in the heat.

True...but that was just decoration. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

I am really relieved that this season has been going so well. And that Noel, who had the potential to be annoying, has turned out to be funny and sweet and an excellent host. He's what I would call "gently loopy" in a good way. He and Sandi seem to balance each other out.

I was all set to hate them both but they really seem like nice people and genuinely supportive of the contestants.  I like them both very much.

• Love 7

Well they actually got me on this one I thought it would be Kate. Looks like things are shaping up for Steven to win but you never know. I've been surprised before by someone I thought had it in the bag to tank in the last round. Stacey will never win because she tries to attempt too much and it mostly does not work out for her but there's something about her that I just like anyway. I think Sophie is Steven's only real competition. 

• Love 2

nooooooo!  Not Liam!  I don't know if there's ever been a contestant that I've rooted for so much as Liam.  He's just such a likeable guy.  He didn't have the greatest week, but I think he is much more talented overall than Kate.  She should have been gone last week, in my opinion.  I was so hoping to see Liam in the final, even if Steven ends up smoking them all in the end. 

And I agree with the post above that mentioned the lack of props/serving pieces this season.  There have been some really creative displays in past seasons, and that really seems to be lacking here.  Liam is the only one I remember making an effort as far as that goes. 

Am I the only one who had no idea what the hosts/judges were saying in the beginning of the first challenge?  I could not understand what they were calling these pastry contraptions.  I had to wait to see it printed with the illustrations.  Oh, Clanger.  ok.  Never heard of them. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, chaifan said:

Am I the only one who had no idea what the hosts/judges were saying in the beginning of the first challenge?

The blessing of closed captioning .... I can never understand what they are saying so I always have it on for any shows from Britain.

• Love 3

So at last we find out what kind of pie isn't "disgusting" like American pies are:  it's filled with dates and butter!  Yummy.  As Steven said - maybe there's a reason why these have been forgotten.  

Why not just make your lattice on the pie?  Ye olde traditional way.

Brendan, the older baker from a few seasons back, made the same lattice that Steven attempted, and we all figured he had to have a special tool.  Nope.

Too bad about Liam, but he was truly at the bottom this time.

• Love 1

I know I'm the last to watch this, but Sophie couldn't really have thought she was going to make Char Siu in the clanger?  You take the ingredients and make the marinade, then marinate pork strips in it, then you slowly cook the pork in the marinade, and baste and turn for hours.  I made it once and never again because it smelled so good that I started sneaking little bites half way through.

If I were in the tent, I would have tried to make a peanut butter and jelly clanger, just to muck with Paul's head.

• Love 2
On 9/6/2018 at 12:40 PM, Kohola3 said:

There is something about Stacey that I find annoying although I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps my memory is bad but it seems to me that she has had a number of minor catastrophes but keeps managing to hang on.

Agreed. An episode or two ago, I told my husband I wanted to like her more than I do. During this episode I said I didn’t like her but don’t know why. I do know that she desperately needs to edit. I imagine Tim Gunn from Project Runway telling her to edit. Her savoy cake was ridiculous. Waaaay too much going on there. 

• Love 1