Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E09: A Little Avant Garde

Drogo
  • Start Topic

I loved seeing the designers interacting with the Shopkins superfans! They all seemed to enjoy spending time with the kids. Brandon didn't seem comfortable, but it was funny how the Project Runway graphic artist (?) threw chocolate everywhere to illustrate how enthusastic the girl was about chocolate.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 11

I think margaritas fabric choices were good, but I  was confused when the judges said that it flattered her body  (not for the first time--I mean, when is adding that much volume around the waist flattering? ).

• Love 9
2 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

No matter what happens the rest of the episode the win goes to Yolanda "are you a judge on this show."

2 hours ago, kanona29 said:

EDITED: and Kentaro wins the whole night with the lesson for the day: "Don't bring the tape measures!" LOL

Best quotes of the night!

2 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I love how the show misdirected everything and made it about ripped off designs when it was really about cheating. Claire got a very kind edit.

I remember the first cheating scandal. Someone saw the books in the room, told Tim, and the guy was kicked off. End of story. It was handled just like it should be.

Instead, Michael, Margarita and anyone else who saw Claire (and/or Shawn) using banned items in the rooms and cheating kept it to themselves until Claire was about to win lots of money. So the cheating was okay until then? Why was it suddenly an issue ... apparently from what they said they've been doing it for quite some time.

This just smells like manufactured drama.

I Margarita and Michael somehow felt personally offended by Claire's ripped off designs, but the judges and Tim didn't care about any of that. They said everyone gets inspired by something and were telling Michael his opinion was irrelevant in this situation. Tim was brushing Michael off until he specifically mentioned the measuring tape in the bedroom. That's when Tim said "we'll look into it". 

And I absolutely think the money had a lot to do with Michael choosing to make a scene now after he already knew about the cheating.  

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Iyana's really looks like a Shopkins inspiration.

In my opinion the only one that did. I was expecting to see a lot more color on that runway. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Amy and Bettani were Aufed for being dull and whacked,  respectively.

IMO,  Ayana should have won. Every judge raved over her pink avant-garde Bo Peep creation. 

But Michael's  sleeker and shinier Disco dress will probably be easier to reproduce in doll-size.

As for "The Case of the Mysterious Measuring Tape": Claire? Just no.   M&M? In the immortal words of a Manson girl: "Charlie doesn't like a snitch."

Easy to reproduce or not this was in my opinion the judges way of making up for their blatant hypocrisy during the previous judging. I wish they brought back that old wind bag Hadid to eat some crow as well.  

1 hour ago, gingerormaryann said:

Amy has proven the adage "those who can, do, those who can't, teach."  Nothing against her personally but she does not have the vision to be a top designer.  She might have great technical skills but she never showed herself to have the imagination or creativity.  She was never got a lot of critiques but almost always, the best thing said was her clothes were well made.

That said, older contestants almost always have a problem on the show.  Some, like Laura Bennett, are exceptions but the time restraints and challenges with pressure definitely get to older contestants first.

With all due respect that adage is BS. None of the designs had the impact of avant garde styles. Ayana's came close but it really was just an enlarged Shopkin. They needed to thin the field and Amy was an easy target using the "boring" rationale.

55 minutes ago, Miss Ruth said:

She didn't stand up at all until Tim sent her to the workroom.  She didn't even look at Tim when he was asking her those questions, and seemed bored by the whole thing.  Maybe her flippant attitude was her way of being nonchalant.

Claire knew she was caught. She exemplified the attitude of someone who has never had to take responsibility for her actions. I really wish producers wouldn't continue to cast these horrid people.

• Love 18

Who says Claire lacks outside inspiration? Her facial expressions in the first five minutes of the episode have been a stunning homage to the respective hand and arm movements from the interpreter at Nelson Mandela’s funeral. Her facial expressions are depicting a series of mild strokes like the ones that raged through Sarah Palin’s being during her infamous “Kick ISIS’s ass” endorsement speech. I haven’t seen such problematic facials since . . .

(I don’t know if I’ll allowed to finish that sentence.)

This is the most ridiculous ensemble of actors since the Blaine Community Players. If they followed up Red, White, & Blaine with My (T)win was Literally Hit by a Truck of Shitsh Oh! Cal Cut-a-Bitch! this is it.

“My top was different from anything I own.” Now Claire is quoting random Grindr profiles. I guess that’s reasonably strategic given the show’s target audience.

Michael’s seriously sincere confessionals might be slightly more convincing if he wasn’t wearing a geometrically precisely rakish beret and a necklace with a miniature cock ring on it, but given the show’s target audience. . . .

Bubbleisha? Is the Zac Posen’s drag alter ego? A chewing gum flavor inspired by my favorite sitcom of all time, Moesha? A euphemism for an illegally-measured top?

Somewhere, Santino is throwing epic shade at Ebony’s attempt at a “Make It Work” song. With apologies to the Beatles, may I suggest:

When I throw the twins under the school bus

And you think that I’m a jerk

Tim Gunn speaks his wisdom

Make it work

When Amy puts on hair gel

Like in There’s Something About Mary

Watching Heidi’s acting

Bothers me

Make it work, make it work, make it work, make it work

Season 16 sucks ass

And that samurai topknot hairstyle is so 2012 it’s not working

Don’t defend the hair to me

• Love 16

My niece just turned 11 yrs old and a few years ago she was obsessed with Shopkins.  This year I asked her what Shopkins she "needed" for her birthday.  She looked at me and said "I'm not into that crap anymore.  Honestly auntie, I don't know what the heck I was thinking.  That whole thing was totally lame."  I ended up getting her a lighted make up mirror that she absolutely loves.  The little girl is gone and a preteen has taken her place. :(   

• Love 16
3 hours ago, gingerormaryann said:

Okay, did you note how they paired the minority kids with the minority contestants?

My mom asked me if I noticed something about the pairings and at first, I wasn't taking in what she was hinting at.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Miss Ruth said:

She didn't stand up at all until Tim sent her to the workroom.  She didn't even look at Tim when he was asking her those questions, and seemed bored by the whole thing.  Maybe her flippant attitude was her way of being nonchalant.

She couldn't exactly deny it since she knew she was on camera when she admitted it to the rest of the designers.  It may have seen like Tim came in just moments later but I suspect it was longer because they already had a plan about what they were going to do about the cup design which would have required consulting with the Dixie people.

• Love 3

When I was a teacher, a kid who came to tattle on someone else about something, and then totally changed what the complaint was about (and it happened a lot), lost almost all credibility. It means there is something else altogether going on, in my experience, and makes me think that M & M's dislike of the twins was so intense that everything about them became wrong and they couldn't even figure out what was actually reportable.  The issue was cheating, namely doing work outside the workroom, not who copied what look from whom.  At least Michael had that part right when he was talking to Tim.  

It was remarkable how calm the work room was without those twins, so good riddance.  

I liked Ayana's design except for the ruffles on the leggings.  Despite them, I think it should have won. I did agree with the bottom two, even though I really enjoy Amy's commentary.  Bring her back in future seasons as something besides a contestant.  

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Michael's shiny design looked like it had a worm around the model's midsection.  Not flattering -- but maybe ok for avant garde challenge?   I still liked Ayana's better.

Margarita's was pretty and soft and kind of ethereal -- I liked it.

Remembering the greatness of the Chris March era of avant garde design!  Loved him.  Wonder what he is up to now.

I wish they would always allow two days for the avant garde challenge. Most of them did prettt well for having one day, but I would have loved to see how much more they might have accomplished. 

Why did Meisha (?)(Michael's model) have to wear a sheer nipple suit under her melting disco ball and more specifically, why was it shown to the TV audience? She didn't seem uncomfortable but I sure hope Harvey Weinstein wasn't watching. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 17

Zac Posen has a cookbook? I'm curious what his qualifications are. 

My one criticism of this episode is that the little girls weren't given the opportunity to look at the final creations. I would have loved to see some reactions and uncensored comments the way only children can make them.

• Love 21

After listening to the judges, I really thought Claire was going to get away with it, but YAY! They kicked her off. So glad the twins are gone, twins on reality shows are never a good thing.  

As for the clothes, I liked: Brandon & Kenya, was OK with: Kentaro, & didn’t like any of the others I never really like the clothes when they have the avant garde challenge, it’s just not my thing.

Surprised they auf’ed 2 of them.

• Love 2

I was surprised when, after viewing all the Shopkin dolls and their outfits, wildly colored hair, etc., Amy went to Mood and came out with fabric that was black and beige.  The was pretty much shooting herself in the foot to begin with.  Hullo ?? 

I wonder if the final decision to choose the disco ball outfit as the winner, over the wild pink one (which they all seemed to adore) had to do with the ease of replicating it for the teeny-weeny dolls?  I was thinking of those poor little stitchers in China or Japan cranking out a dozen layers of tiny pink ruffles for each little doll.  Arg.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Michael's shiny design looked like it had a worm around the model's midsection.  Not flattering -- but maybe ok for avant garde challenge?   I still liked Ayana's better.

Michael's reminded me of the Comme de Garcons 97 tumor collection. Michael was a toddler when that collection came out, but I suppose they probably studied that in school.

https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-1997-ready-to-wear/comme-des-garcons

I liked Ayana's except for the ruffles on the leggings.

1 hour ago, millennium said:

btw, Yolanda "Hadid?"  STFU.

This!!!! She was insufferable just like on RHoBH. I don't know if folks remember when she told the Spanish speaking construction workers to learn to speak English. Ugh. That woman.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, millennium said:

btw, Yolanda "Hadid?"  STFU.

I loved that her snarky comments backfired.  Take THAT, Miss Know-It-All.  You know you would not keep silent or advise your daughters to if someone's sneaky activities saboutaged their success.  DISCLAIMER:  I have always admired Yolanda "Foster" and her children.

• Love 1

I can see the designers being more upset about the fact that everything the twins did was a knockoff of something RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR FACES than the technical foul of doing some off-book measuring of the things they were knocking off.  The fact that Claire was rewarded with a shitload of cash for that was the last straw. 

I have no idea why the judges and Tim were so oblivious to the chronic knock-offs - if they had noticed, they never bothered mentioning it on the show. Which then leads to the fans taking five damn minutes to produce evidence of the twins wearing almost identical outfits to what they were sending down the runway. And Shaun all but admitted it during the model challenge in THs! The first shirt Claire worked on was EXACTLY like Margarita's dress from the immediately preceding challenge, ffs, and yet Tim didn't even notice. Really? WTF.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

Frankly, I think that this was producer shenanigans. 

I don't think that this was the first time Margarita or Michael or other contestants reported this problem with the twins and the measuring tape. But producers decided they wanted to capitalize on the twin drama for as long as they could. They dragged out the challenge between the twins for who would be cut first and they kept the cheating scandal up their sleeves until the they decided the timing was right.

And that was tonight. It was "encouraged" that the reveal was done in the most dramatic way possible. Hence the Michael walk off. I don't think Michael or Margarita or any of them are sorry Claire got sent off, but that they personally did not plan to do it in this way in particular and they genuinely disliked that it was done like this.

My two cents.

This needs to be read again and again!   Thank you, VagueDisclaimer.  I'm so tired of lamebrained producers expecting us to watch their ideas of "great TV."   Most Project Runway viewers just want to see what is really going on with the CREATIONS in the workroom.  We don't need to see manufactured drama.  There's enough real-world drama on television; just give us some good fashion by some real designers, people!  Note to Katy Perry: please don't give The Cheatin' Twosome another job to brag about.

• Love 21
3 hours ago, CherryMalotte said:

She had to know that taking the tape measure from the workroom back to the hotel room was a big time no no. 

I thought it was said that she had a "retractable" tape measure.  That probably means she brought a personal one in her luggage.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

I don't know what's more shocking two people going home or this episode not ending in a cliffhanger.

What’s shocking is that Amy and Batani didn’t have a 1-hour challenge to see which one of them would go home.

*insert eye roll here* 

*...and here* 

• Love 14

I didn't like this challenge very much and none of the designs really stood out to me for the right reasons. The kids were cute, but the whole Shopkins idea was uninspiring. Every challenge this season is to promote some sponsorship that has nothing to do with fashion. I remember the episode in season 4 where they visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art and had to make an avant garde look inspired by art. All of the looks were so beautiful and inspiring. Sure there were sponsorships back then, but at least they were somehow related to fashion. I feel bad for Tim when he has to plug all this stuff, but I suppose it's the only way to keep the show going.

Edited by fredproof
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I wish they would always allow two days for the avant garde challenge. Most of them did prettt well for having one day, but I would have loved to see how much more they might have accomplished. 

Why did Meisha (?)(Michael's model) have to wear a sheer nipple suit under her melting disco ball and more specifically, why was it shown to the TV audience? She didn't seem uncomfortable but I sure hope Harvey Weinstein wasn't watching. 

Sequins can irritate the skin. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, dwarmed said:

What the hell happened to Tim's comments in the season trailer, "This entire thing disgusts me. It was unprofessional, unseemly, atrocious." Of course, a lot of the crying shots were from other episodes, not to give away too much, but Tim's outfit was the same as what he was wearing during this episode. Were those comments directed at the designers for making a scene on the runway or was it about cheating? I feel totally ripped off that we didn't get the full Tim Gunn righteous tirade in the episode. Lame, PR.

Maybe he was talking about the producers trying to manipulate this drama. Or maybe about the cheating, but I don't understand why they edited it out then. I feel robbed and I guess we'll never know.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, candall said:

Came back to see who won and I'm pretty disgusted to hear it was Michael.  During the opening portion of the episode, they showed his . . .uh, blanket pants? outfit against Batani's and I think Mr. Magoo could see hers was so much better.  So I think they auf'ed her and kept him for cheating drama continuity.

Brandon's Dixie cup should have a little strap hanging down.

(I bought a box of those cups.  I always offer work crews coffee and the Dixies are like Starbucks cups--go cups with a sippy-lid.  But they're also environmentally unsound styrofoam, so in the future I'm just going to have to stock up on regular travel mugs and do the dishes. Bummer.]

???❤️❤️ You said, “should have a little strap hanging down.” I love it! 

• Love 6

I half-expected Claire to be spared ("Sorry, I can't spare a Claire.   I haven't a Claire to spare.") by the Tim Gunn Save.   Seriously.   Picture it: Tim announces she's lost the $25K and is being sent home.  Pauses.   And then: "Now everyone, Claire made a terrible mistake, but I would hate to see all of her potential end right here for the wrong reasons, so I am going to use my Tim Gunn Save."   As much as it would have driven me crazy, I would have to give them props for messing with us in such shameless fashion.

• Love 8

I don't think there is any way they can allow someone who has broken the official rules to remain in the competition. Not if they want to keep pretending this is a legitimate competition. It could also prompt a lawsuit from another contestant.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I love how the show misdirected everything and made it about ripped off designs when it was really about cheating. Claire got a very kind edit.

I remember the first cheating scandal. Someone saw the books in the room, told Tim, and the guy was kicked off. End of story. It was handled just like it should be.

Instead, Michael, Margarita and anyone else who saw Claire (and/or Shawn) using banned items in the rooms and cheating kept it to themselves until Claire was about to win lots of money. So the cheating was okay until then? Why was it suddenly an issue ... apparently from what they said they've been doing it for quite some time.

In the "Top 10 Tim Gunn Moments" they showed before the episode, one of them was him handling Ivy's allegation of cheating against Michael C, and Tim really smacked her down for the delayed reporting and she came off looking pathetic, desperate, and deceitful (I mean, Ivy did seem like human garbage every minute she was on screen, so not the hugest change, but it did seem even worse here).  I also have some recall of that finale accusation of cheating (a female designer whose name I've forgotten, accusing... Santino?), and in that case it was also the accuser who came off looking bitter, petty, and jealous. 

Margarita had that line about how she didn't want to be the person harping about cheating on PR, and I believe that really was her concern... reporting suspected cheating has blown back on the accuser before.

I look more favorably on Margarita, she seemed very self-aware about the mistakes she made in handling this.  She gossiped inadvisably to blow off steam when the pressure was really getting to her, and then it blew up in her face.  She

Michael, though... ugh.  He behaved like such an immature brat.  Talk about squandering a winning hand!  I came out of this with less respect for him than I have for the obnoxious cheater!

Edited by JyDanzig
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, JyDanzig said:

Margarita had that line about how she didn't want to be the person harping about cheating on PR, and I believe that really was her concern... reporting suspected cheating has blown back on the accuser before.

Right, that's why she manipulated Michael into doing it.

7 minutes ago, JyDanzig said:

I look more favorably on Margarita, she seemed very self-aware about the mistakes she made in handling this.  She gossiped inadvisably to blow off steam when the pressure was really getting to her, and then it blew up in her face

I'd say she's a seasoned pro at passive aggressive manipulation and her regret was 100% phony. She knew exactly what she was doing.

• Love 16

When Michael and Margarita were talking about Mischa and showing all the winning outfits she modeled, I realized most of the winning looks were on a traditional skinny model's body. Is it the designers doing a better job when working in their comfort zone or the judges still biased to see clothes on a skinny body as more attractive? With the emphasis on range of body types, I am surprised the producers haven't forced more plus-size winners.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, pinguina said:

When Claire said that the top she made was something that she had never made or owned.  HOWEVER, it was a copy of the top that HER SISTER wore when she was booted - sorry, when she bravely conceded to her sister.

Yes! I'm sure the editors inserted the footage of Shawn in that shirt very intentionally.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, millennium said:

I half-expected Claire to be spared ("Sorry, I can't spare a Claire.   I haven't a Claire to spare.") by the Tim Gunn Save.   Seriously.   Picture it: Tim announces she's lost the $25K and is being sent home.  Pauses.   And then: "Now everyone, Claire made a terrible mistake, but I would hate to see all of her potential end right here for the wrong reasons, so I am going to use my Tim Gunn Save."   As much as it would have driven me crazy, I would have to give them props for messing with us in such shameless fashion.

That is a nightmare. Thank God it didn't happen!

• Love 7
On 10/12/2017 at 9:29 PM, Ms Lark said:

I think a couple of medium brown straps (yes, the three colors do go together) down the back would have been a nice tribute to his partner, but that's just me. Nonetheless, it didn't really meet the requirements for the challenge.

I still don't think he should have gotten the $25k since he wasn't in the top for the Dixie cup win.

Project Runway wasn’t originally planning to award Brandon the money that night. I rewatched the first 20 mins 3 x as well because that Claire exit was so enjoyable for me. Tim basically said that there was no “winner” as in no one would get the money.

Also, I do agree that Production probably talked to Dixie before Tim went to off Claire, once they found evidence of her cheating to let them know the situation as it stands. But it seems that several hours must have passed before all of this was figured out. They showed a clip of Production shutting lights down, with a lady saying, “we are done for the night.” From that I surmise the whole thing took several hours. Just thinking of all the factors and stakeholders involved (Lifetime, Weinstein, other executives, Dixie, Contestants, Production, Mood (in case she purchased it there), Hotel (gaining entry into Claire’s room for the search, Other Sponsors, etc.), it probably took a good 3 hours if everything flowed smoothly, and several more if things did not.  

On Dixie’s end, they couldn’t cancel, they had to go forward, that would be a PR disaster. So Dixie still needed a design, and had made financial comittments. Maybe they even had the cups ready to go, just waiting for the design to be selected.  Choosing Brandon was the late night compromise initially agreed on because it was the most commercial of the designs. They probably went with a design that went with their current aesthetic, didn’t violate any potential trademark or copyright claims, would cause the least embarrassment, or the least waves, and was tested as market-friendly. They had to choose the most “happy looking cup” after this fiasco. 

Project Runway prablaby wanted to reset the score board, with the win not counting for any contestant since their previously selected “winner” was denounced as a cheater. Production didn’t want to give the $25K to anyone, since they had already awarded it to Claire.

<spoilers> ANTM did that one season, re-shooting the Judges Panel after the fact. They awarded the prize to the runner-up since the winner had blabbed to family that she won (against the rules) prior to the episode airing. It ended up on Facebook, so ANTM decided to reshoot as if Blabber (cheater) had lost and was sent home. When the episode aired, it decimated their viewership and tanked their ratings. Some viewers felt that Blabber deserved her win and should have kept it. Others felt like the Runnerup who had won that prize didn’t deserve it based on her body of work all season. Another group agreed with Production but felt the prize should have been split with the top 2 who were the last 2 standing. Overall, Viewers saw it as unfair, and the show started tanking downwards dramatically from that season (Cycle 17). </spoilers>

So from a Production standpoint, I definitely argue that since they did not want to award the prize to anyone post-Claire, they would just essentially “erase” that competition from the deck. 

However, Dixie probably pushed for Brandon to be paid something shortly afterwards, probably with urging both from their lawyers, marketing, and PR team. As evidenced why they were so quick to announce on Twitter post-episode that they had paid Brandon. If the design was from any other external artist, local or well-known, in order to reproduce it, they would have had to have a licensing agreement, or expect huge lawsuits in the future. On a typical licensing agreement, Dixie would have had to pay the artist anyway a sum of $$$ to license their design. There was no way the cup went to print without all the legalities taken care of. The  lawyers wouldn’t let the whole thing go through if the selected designer wasn’t paid. From Dixie’s angle, think of what a public relations disaster that could potentially be. There is a lackey (or several) at the Dixie office right now searching through all their social media mentions and replying over and over again that Brandon was paid. This was supposed to be a joint marketing venture to improve and increase their brand, not to destroy, taint, or demolish it. There are several people at Dixie who are going to take the fall for this (negative reviews, being held back, possible firing), maybe even in Production as well if ratings don’t improve. This whole situation was spun for maximum boosting of all the big stakeholders (except Contestants) involved after it happened, which means that they are still in damage control mode. 

The ripple effect of the Buttondumb Twins will be felt for all time I suspect. And Claire thought this was the end of her story? Puhlease! I’m sure we will see them on another reality show in the next couple of years. They have caught the bug of fame and they will keep using their quirkiness to go from reality show to reality show. This was merely step 2 in their “Get Famous” plan. I suspect they will be on the Amazing Race or Survivior next, an effort to erase the “cheating losers” label off their brand. 

Edited by Spiderella2
Last thoughts, added more
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I loved how she kept saying “I measured a TANK TOP!” Like that made it no big deal.  Except you’re supposed to be a designer and you apparently can’t figure out how to make a TANK TOP without measuring one secretly.  So, spare me your indignation please.  

I KNOW! I'm not justifying cheating under any circumstances but the fact that she was cheating to measure something so simple somehow makes it even worse. It's like someone taking a calculus test getting busted for using a calculator to add 2+2. Claire shouldn't have been so indignantly defensive that she "only" measured a tank top. She should be embarrassed that she needed to cheat to take measurements for two rectangles of fabric.

8 hours ago, threebluestars said:

This was posted in last week's episode thread:

On 10/8/2017 at 10:10 AM, holly4755 said:

has anyone seen Project Runway Season 16 Episode 8 Review w/ Amy Bond | AfterBuzz TV. I have read this whole thread and don't remember seeing it. 

at minute 47 Amy discusses the whole thing and next episode, it is all supposed to come out. 

She said the competitors have been complaining to production about the twins cheating the whole series and nothing was done, but Micheal is the only one who brought it to the runway where they could not avoid showing it. She thought it was very brave of Michael. 

Given that, I think it's understandable that the other designers were really frustrated knowing that the twins had been cheating (measuring after hours) in addition to blatantly copying clothes that they had brought with them for EIGHT challenges and that production continued to ignore their continual cheating.

Damn, how many dogs were on the set for the runway show?

Brandon's dress was neither avant garde nor Shopkins. I guess I should just be glad that there wasn't a hacked up button down shirt on top of that fug green dress. I agree with Michael that Brandon is running out of ideas and is leaning on Kentaro a lot. The crossed straps at the neckline reminded me of when I was a little kid and I had one of those looms to weave potholders. His dress looked like napkin origami at a shitty restaurant that thinks putting folded cloth napkins on the table instead of paper napkins makes them a fancy place to eat.

Batani's wrinkled wrapping paper look was accurately described by Ayana as "a lot...and very little at the same time." I agreed with the judges about the black part of the skirt showing. It made her model look like she was wearing late 80s/early 90s bike shorts underneath the outfit.

I think I would have liked Kenya's more if she had taken the overlapping peplum and gone crazy with it to create a petal effect. I had high hopes when I saw her sketch but the finished product was just meh. It looked like a prom dress made out of a bathroom tile print.

Ayana's cupcake dress didn't do it for me. It looked like she just plopped a skirt on top of her model who happened to be wearing a yellow tank top underneath. But I'll give her that she embraced the avant garde part of the challenge.

Kentaro's white dress was too simple for me.

Amy's coat dress with the big ass collar was not avant garde enough.

Margarita's white and glitter dress was fun and the only wearable avant garde dress on the runway (Ayana's was avant garde but not wearable). I liked the different textures

I liked the idea of Michael's silver sequin jumpsuit, but I hated the structured snake parts that he added. I give him credit for fitting it to his model so well though. That sequined fabric had no give so he had to fit it to her perfectly.

I agree that Michael most likely won because his silver jumpsuit would be easy to reproduce for dolls. Obviously the judges liked it because it was in the top four, but I don't think that they necessarily liked it more than Ayana's cupcake dress or Margarita's glitter dress.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, candall said:

Yep, that's cheating.  I'll say one thing for Claire, though--when push came to shove and Tim walked through the door to ask her if she had a tape measure, she stood up and owned it.  Yes, I have a tape measure.  Yes, I measured a tank top and a crotch.  Yes, okay, goodbye.

Margarita owns her part, somewhat less gracefully--shoulda, woulda, coulda, cry, cry, cry.

Michael Dramatique can STFU and take several seats with his love for the industry and his "NEVER my intention . . .!"

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, you couldn't pay me to watch the clusterfuck that is the one-day avant garde challenge with kids and their promotional dollies and glitter.

Yes, okay, goodbye, indeed.

Claire grew on me last night.... To quote Harley Quinn "She owned that sh&#!" And I respect her for that.

• Love 3

She said the competitors have been complaining to production about the twins cheating the whole series and nothing was done, but Micheal is the only one who brought it to the runway where they could not avoid showing it. She thought it was very brave of Michael.

The judges themselves tried to quash or rationalize the complaints even as they were being aired on the runway.   The first was that repulsive Yolanda person, who attempted to put Michael in his place.  Then each one was like "well, you all inspire each other" and (to Margarita) "you were not the first to invent the design you did last week" (or somesuch), anything to squelch the scandal, even Tim backstage to Michael: "Well, others disagree with you." 

• Love 15