Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Client On The Go

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Margarita damned herself.  If she was that preoccupied with Claire stealing her idea she should have confronted her, even in a joking manner.  Then, she should have let Tim know how she felt.  Instead, the edit implied she just let it fester in her brain.  That festering led her to screw up her gray fabric and she had to use that horrible hot pink fabric.  Hell, she even admitted while shopping that she had no real clue and bought a yard of this and a yard if that.  Her design and implementation of her fabrics screwed her, not Claire.

That being said, I like Claire's outfit but I have seen it a million times.  I don't get that the slashes in th top were innovative.  Seen it done before.  Personally, I think Kentaro won this one with the pleating on the back she of that dress.  It was beautiful and fun, but way too colorful for my taste.

• Love 9

A couple or more comments and an anecdote:

I seem to remember on a previous season (were they doing menswear?) when one or more designers used what they were currently wearing to create a pattern for their garment (was it a pair of pants or a button-down shirt?). I don't remember the details but it was certainly not considered cheating.

If Margarita had had a problem with Claire's design, it would have been appropriate to ask her about it - calmly -- instead of bitching about her behind her back and behind a language barrier.

Yes, it is rude to talk about someone else in a language they don't understand. I'm sure many of you talk about the people around you when you are in a country where English is not the main language. You probably conduct most of your conversations in English. I've lived in countries where expats don't even try to learn the local language. However.... I was born in Thailand and I learned to speak Thai (and English) when I learned to talk. After college I was an instructor at an English language business college in Bangkok. Instructors taught in English and we were encouraged to hold all conversations in English. I don't look Thai and most of my students assumed I didn't understand Thai. My favorite thing was to ride down from class in the elevator with students bitching about how mean I was (I didn't think everyone deserved an A and I expected people to do their own work and not copy from others). When I left the elevator, I turned and thanked everyone (in Thai) for their contribution to my development. Their faces were hysterically funny... 

The moral of this story is not to assume that you are not understood. More people than you know speak Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, German, and English even if they don't look like it.

• Love 22
5 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Claire doesn't seem the type to walk away from the $25,000 cash prize for this challenge, unless she's disqualified. 

Yes. I meant if she was stripped of her win or felt she was about to get auffed. The old, you can't fire me I quit. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, leighdear said:
10 hours ago, Beden said:

All true except for the simple fact that any decent fashion course/school/university/internship would include patterning and advanced patterning as a matter of course. If wherever you studied doesn't have these classes than get your ass to someplace which does or buy a few good patterning books and educate yourself--especially if you opt to apply to a reality show where being able to pattern a garment is clearly  a major component, no matter what dress size your model may be. Pretty much every season has a 'real woman' challenge--prepare for it. The time constraints and lack of sleep are part of the equation which they all sold have understood when they signed on.

While I'm sympathetic with the stress and difficulties of what they're all doing, they should have gone in with their eyes open.

No skills-based Reality show EVER has only trained individuals competing.  Just as no singing competition has only trained vocalists, no cooking competition has only trained chefs, this show will never have only individuals schooled and trained in fashion design & construction.  

My point was that individuals can rarely substitute education and training for just desire and creativity.  And sadly, this show will never again be about innovation, style and excellence in fashion. 

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out that if you decide to enter-to-win a reality based competition you should have the background to have some possibility of success. In this case that would include basic (at least) patterning and some serious sewing skills. If--like the twins--you enter just to raise your own profile, maybe score another gig on another show, then deal with the consequences. Of course PR isn't going to give you a lesson in attaching a zipper or whatever--or boiling an egg or anything else; that's on you.

And I agree completely with you saying that basic or even advanced skills don't substitute for creativity and artistry. But if you don't have some grip on the skills it's difficult, if not impossible to produce whatever design you may have in your head. Like or hate what Brandon (for example) is producing, you are  left with no question of what he intended.

I'm just saying to come prepared.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, leighdear said:

Sometimes more time consuming sewing techniques are needed with curvier women.  If darts are needed and a "designer" doesn't know how to mathematically calculate how the pattern piece must be measured, cut, then sewn to produce something that will fit a 47" bust, then they end up with a crappy looking top that will never fit.   Waistbands that curve to truly fit and pant darts that flatter the rear can be equally complicated.  These are tough to pull off with so little time. 

Thin women with few curves (i.e, the usual model body) can often have a piece of fabric draped ON them, secured in a few strategic places, then Voila!  Fashion on the catwalk.  Try that on a size 22 woman and the only place she can go is to a toga party. 

I don't think most of them hate having to be creative, it's just VERY difficult with the time constraints.  

To compound the difficulty, they only have one fitting with the model.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I too will defend the appropriate use of a peplum.  It can help if you don't have a bum. 

The best peplum reference is from Designing Women....I couldn't find it on youtube...but those ladies of Sugarbaker's could rock a peplum.

I hated the "indian blanket" pants...but they would have probably looked better on a size zero but his customer liked it.

Maybe I was half asleep but  thought Michael might be accusing the remaining twin copy her print off pants she has?  

The 80's were all about the peplum, in addition to the neon, padded shoulders, etc. but I swear Kenya's skirt reminded me of one I bought at The Limited back then and loved. I'd look stupid wearing it now.

Also, I wish I could have given a hundred hearts to the person who commented on Yolanda going back to Hadid. (I'd have quoted it but I couldn't figure out how to include it here). She is such a huge opportunist. I admit I watch RHOBH, and hated the last 2 seasons she was on because it was she was just a fame whore narcisisst who played the victim card when she wasn't getting attention. Now her girls are her ticket to attention.

Lastly, seeing clips of past shows my first thought wasn't about how Tim has changed, but rather, how Nina HASN'T. She looks exactly the same down to the last strand of hair on her head. I love seeing Heidi's varied looks. She is truly gorgeous.

Edited by Snappy
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Beden said:

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out that if you decide to enter-to-win a reality based competition you should have the background to have some possibility of success. In this case that would include basic (at least) patterning and some serious sewing skills. If--like the twins--you enter just to raise your own profile, maybe score another gig on another show, then deal with the consequences. Of course PR isn't going to give you a lesson in attaching a zipper or whatever--or boiling an egg or anything else; that's on you.

And I agree completely with you saying that basic or even advanced skills don't substitute for creativity and artistry. But if you don't have some grip on the skills it's difficult, if not impossible to produce whatever design you may have in your head. Like or hate what Brandon (for example) is producing, you are  left with no question of what he intended.

I'm just saying to come prepared.

It's like the chefs who come on Top Chef not having a dessert recipe or two in their back pockets or not knowing how to use crescent roll dough. Not smart. You need to come prepared for anything, even if it means going out of your wheelhouse. There will always be curveballs. I remember in one of the first seasons on TC they had them use foods out of a vending machine. You just never know.  If I were going on PR, I'd play around with some unconventional materials because while you don't know what you'll be asked to use, you know it will be something that is typically not used for clothing. 

I just watched the style blogger's Behind the Scenes video that is linked in an above post. Just noticed that in their showdown, Shawn is wearing a dress with two slits in the top -- by the shoulders. Hmmm... wonder where Claire go that idea? I would love photos of what they've worn v. what they've "designed" for the show. 

Edited by jackjill89
  • Love 9

The skill level is very low this year.  I blame the casting director. They went for what they thought was entertainment.  Cha Cha and the twins being the most glaring examples.  

I sure hope Top Chef maintains its quality.  It is the last of the big ones still standing. The others are on their knees. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 15
15 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Why would Clair walk out? By all appearances (or at least, based on the way this was edited) both Claire and Shawn were oblivious of their effect on the other designers. From what we've seen so far, nobody has said anything to them.

...Although I did notice that when Margarita mentioned over and over that she didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, Claire did not say "what are you talking about?" which makes me scratch my head. If she didn't know what Margarita was talking about, why didn't she ask? (Did she look confused? I don't remember.) And if she did know, then however she came to know it must've happened off camera.

Word. So much has been made of the Margarita/Michael/Claire drama, it completely distracted from the rest of the WTF on the runway. What the hell are those pants? Her design looked like it came from one of those beginner sewing kits where the fabric comes with the pattern already printed on it, so all you have to do is cut around the shapes.

59d95417ee2fe_pr16-ep8-AmyBond.thumb.png.aba3017a91aefcd2e34334b829ab54e0.png

With all the other drama happening Amy’s outfit went by really fast on the runway. I remember thinking WTF to the chaps/flaps she added to the pants. Now that I see the full photo, it hits me that Amy’s outfit is a half-assed knockoff of Kentaro’s street wear look from a few episodes ago. I liked the look of the top when it was shown to Tim in the workroom, but the overall look is just awful. It’s nowhere near as cool as what Kentaro produced for this or any challenge. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, morakot said:

Yes, it is rude to talk about someone else in a language they don't understand. I'm sure many of you talk about the people around you when you are in a country where English is not the main language. You probably conduct most of your conversations in English. I've lived in countries where expats don't even try to learn the local language.

I loved your anecdote!

I have not traveled a lot, but have been to Spanish-speaking countries and France.  I studied French in high school, and continued using it when we had a neighbor who was French.  She would speak to me in English and I would speak to her in French so we could both improve our language skills.  

I would never speak negatively about anyone around me in English in any foreign country.  Actually, I would never speak negatively about anyone around me in any public setting because . . . it's RUDE. 

I also think it is rude that visitors to a country can't at least learn to say "Do you speak (English/French/Spanish/etc)" in the language of the country where you are.  When I am in France, I ask shopkeepers IN FRENCH, "Parlez vous Anglais?"  When in Mexico or other Spanish-speaking countries, I ask "Habla usted Inglés?"  Because people from other countries tend to have better bilingual skills than Americans, they usually do speak enough English that we can conduct basic transactions.  As a resident of Arizona, I have been on the other side of that issue.  People would call the company where I worked and the first words out of their mouth is "Se habla Espanol?"  It takes little effort for someone to learn to say, "Do you speak Spanish?"  Again - it's a matter of courtesy.  And courtesy is a two-way street.  Or it should be.

• Love 17
25 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

With all the other drama happening Amy’s outfit went by really fast on the runway. I remember thinking WTF to the chaps/flaps she added to the pants. Now that I see the full photo, it hits me that Amy’s outfit is a half-assed knockoff of Kentaro’s street wear look from a few episodes ago. I liked the look of the top when it was shown to Tim in the workroom, but the overall look is just awful. It’s nowhere near as cool as what Kentaro produced for this or any challenge. 

I thought the top was great, even when it was in the workroom.  However, if the judges are going to pick at Batani for adding her pattern as an afterthought, what about Amy.  Those panels served no purpose whatsoever.  The larger question is that if she did not have to use her own graphic, would she have included the pant panels.  Margarita was in the bottom for maximum effect but Amy should have been there instead.  The getup looked like a waiter.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

I'd like to know how anyone could keep the strings from strangling everything in the washer. You'd end up with one huge mess of clothes after the spin cycle.

Probably none of the outfits we see could or would go through a washer.  The construction alone would guarantee they would fall apart, and in properly finished form they would have "dry clean only" labels.   These outfits are also not meant to be reproduced exactly.  They are design.  Half or all of the dangly bits might never make it to production.  

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, wings707 said:

The skill level is very low this year.  I blame the casting direction. They went for what they thought was entertainment.  Cha Cha and the twins being the most glaring examples.  

I sure hope Top Chef maintains its quality.  It is the last of the big ones still standing. The others are on their knees. 

If Cha Cha and the twins are examples of what anyone in production thinks is entertaining then they need glasses and hearing aids.  Or maybe just to learn that entertaining is not the same thing as irritating, distracting and degrading to the standards the show used to have.

• Love 22
1 minute ago, jrlr said:

If Cha Cha and the twins are examples of what anyone in production thinks is entertaining then they need glasses and hearing aids.  Or maybe just to learn that entertaining is not the same thing as irritating, distracting and degrading to the standards the show used to have.

Just clicking on "Like" wasn't enough.  You are SO SPOT ON!!!  I watch shows like Project Runway, Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, etc., to watch people who are good at what they do compete against others who are equally good.  If I want to watch stupidity, there are other channels for that.

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, jrlr said:

Yeah.  It is a crap shoot.  They really have no way to know ahead so they go with the maybes.  :>  

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I watch shows like Project Runway, Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, etc., to watch people who are good at what they do compete against others who are equally good.  If I want to watch stupidity, there are other channels for that.

I think the problem is there are a finite number of people who can sew well.  Then they have to want to be on TV, and they have to be presentanle and available.  (I dont see any really ugly or overtly antisocial contestants.) They have to be able to produce a complete garment in 12 hours.  I think they used up the available pool in the first several seasons.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yeah.  It is a crap shoot.  They really have no way to know ahead so they go with the maybes.  :>  

Dear, Dear Wings707 . . . Do you honestly think there was ANY potential for Aaron and his penis-themed sample pieces to create anything worthwhile on the show?  LOL.

• Love 5
Just now, AZChristian said:

Dear, Dear Wings707 . . . Do you honestly think there was ANY potential for Aaron and his penis-themed sample pieces to create anything worthwhile on the show?  LOL.

LOL!  No I don't but they apparently did!  I don't think Care Bears hanging off Cha Cha's clothes do either.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

I kind of liked it.  I loved her print.  I remember seeing fashion from the 50s that was similar.  There was a partial skirt over pants.  I saw it is a movie and it looked good. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Just clicking on "Like" wasn't enough.  You are SO SPOT ON!!!  I watch shows like Project Runway, Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, etc., to watch people who are good at what they do compete against others who are equally good.  If I want to watch stupidity, there are other channels for that.

Exactly. 90 Day Fiance gives me my fix of stupidity.  PR should stick to fashion. The twins are so annoying though that I would not watch them on 90 day.  The they are so awful that they probably couldn't find any poverty-stricken soul so desperate for a green card who would tolerate their crap.  

• Love 4

Amy's garment was a flash back to the 50s.  I found a bunch on google but the images were from pinterest and could not be copied.  Here is one.  I know now where I have seen that.  On I love Lucy and other TV shows of that era.  Amy did a take off on that but I get where she was going.  They are mostly with long pants and only a partial skirt that was not so full. 

striped-hostess-dress.jpg

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Exactly. 90 Day Fiance gives me my fix of stupidity.  PR should stick to fashion. The twins are so annoying though that I would not watch them on 90 day.  The they are so awful that they probably couldn't find any poverty-stricken soul so desperate for a green card who would tolerate their crap.  

Three words:  Danielle and Mohammed.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

That being said, I like Claire's outfit but I have seen it a million times.  I don't get that the slashes in the top were innovative.  Seen it done before.  Personally, I think Kentaro won this one with the pleating on the back she of that dress.  It was beautiful and fun, but way too colorful for my taste.

Yes, you saw a top with the slashes at the beginning of the episode.  Shawn was wearing one. 

jackjill89 noticed it too. 

• Love 9

has anyone seen Project Runway Season 16 Episode 8 Review w/ Amy Bond | AfterBuzz TV. I have read this whole thread and don't remember seeing it. 

at minute 47 Amy discusses the whole thing and next episode, it is all supposed to come out. 

Spoiler

She said the competitors have been complaining to production about the twins cheating the whole series and nothing was done, but Micheal is the only one who brought it to the runway where they could not avoid showing it. She thought it was very brave of Michael. 

Earlier in the video she explains about her decision prompted by by comments by Tim to not finish with the jacket she designed to go over the blouse that made the design make more sense and it included the pattern. . I have no idea if it would have been better or not, but it would have make her sleeves make more sense. 

• Love 13

Thank you @holly4755!  I have never seen this show.  Of course we may not see as much as we would like.  Amy doesn't know the edit but I am excited again.  For awhile there I just thought this would be a big bust like much is with reality TV previews.   I think we may be satisfied this time!   Seems more went on than we thought.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

Amy's garment was a flash back to the 50s.  I found a bunch on google but the images were from pinterest and could not be copied.  Here is one.  I know now where I have seen that.  On I love Lucy and other TV shows of that era.  Amy did a take off on that but I get where she was going.  They are mostly with long pants and only a partial skirt that was not so full. 

striped-hostess-dress.jpg

I  LOVE this look and always watch for it when I'm watching 50's movies.  I've been waiting for years for someone on PR to use it in a design!

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, jrlr said:

I  LOVE this look and always watch for it when I'm watching 50's movies.  I've been waiting for years for someone on PR to use it in a design!

I like it too!  Had Amy done a half skirt (all the way around the back) she may have been in the top 3.   I would not be surprised to see this come back into style. 

11 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

Amy also said that its all going to hit the fan next week!

Yes, that was thrilling to hear.  lol   LOVE IT.  We need something to save this show.  

• Love 5

I'm also completely over the crop top, which Brandon also does a lot!  Along with the peplum, I'm just tired of seeing it week after week after week on the runway.

I keep waiting for Tim to go to Brandon and say, "No more crop tops!" like he did with the kids in Project Runway Junior.

• Love 5

I just can't figure out why PR would keep the disruptive cheating shameless knockoff twins around. Isn't what the do just so obviously against rules/protocol?

AND why hasn't someone (we are all adults here)..in the 1st few episodes, go ahead and call them out on their cheating and constant collaborating and Yammering and running around the workroom( Like, bitch, WHERE are you going?).

I'd have shut that shit down in a minute. I'd not be there to make friends.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

It's like the chefs who come on Top Chef not having a dessert recipe or two in their back pockets or not knowing how to use crescent roll dough. Not smart. You need to come prepared for anything, even if it means going out of your wheelhouse. There will always be curveballs. I remember in one of the first seasons on TC they had them use foods out of a vending machine. You just never know.  If I were going on PR, I'd play around with some unconventional materials because while you don't know what you'll be asked to use, you know it will be something that is typically not used for clothing. 

I just watched the style blogger's Behind the Scenes video that is linked in an above post. Just noticed that in their showdown, Shawn is wearing a dress with two slits in the top -- by the shoulders. Hmmm... wonder where Claire go that idea? I would love photos of what they've worn v. what they've "designed" for the show. 

ohh- this reminds me of how much I loved the first season of Top Chef Masters.  Remember when they had to cook something in a dorm room and Hubert Keller was rinsing pasta in the shower?  Particularly that first season, the masters all seemed to embrace the challenges of the week because they know their stuff. 

I know the contestants on this show aren't masters and are trying to get their  break, but some of them seem to roll with the crazy while others freak out over every little twist.  I'm more interested in seeing how they solve the problem than the drama of the problem itself.  I guess I'm saying I have a thing for competence porn?

• Love 15
On 10/7/2017 at 3:01 PM, wings707 said:

The judges have mentioned the twins wardrobe is better than what they are creating for their models. 

That's been true over the years for too many designers on this show.  This season's example is Batani.  The most extreme one IMO was Fabio Costa.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

That's been true over the years for too many designers on this show.  This season's example is Batani.  The most extreme one IMO was Fabio Costa.

Fabio had fabulous personal style and would like Bandon's clothes.  When I first saw Batani I had high hopes and was excited to see what she would do.  That hope died straight away.  Lol  Amy has great personal style too but we haven't seen that reflected in her garments.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 6

Even if they are all wearing clothes they made themselves, presumably they made them over a longer period of time, and with fewer challenge constraints, than anything they are making on the show.

• Love 7
On 10/7/2017 at 11:44 AM, leighdear said:

YES!  Can you believe it?  Now I don't have to pour fresh-brewed coffee into my pockets on my way out the door in the morning!  I can DRINK it instead of WEAR it!  YaYYY!

And honestly, they could have graphically re-created the pleated back part of Kentaro's dress and printed it as a colorful band around the damn cup.  Idiots. 

Oh, pockets! I should have thought of that. I've been using the other Dixie cups. But they only hold five ounces. So I have to use three cups if I want to bring an adequate amount of coffee. So then I have to carry them on a tray. I don't have a smaller tray. So I use a shoebox lid (thank god we didn't have to wait until 2017 for someone to invent that). The coffee has a waxy taste, but the worst part is getting on the subway. 

• Love 11
41 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Even if they are all wearing clothes they made themselves, presumably they made them over a longer period of time, and with fewer challenge constraints, than anything they are making on the show.

Yes, that's true for all the contestants.  But the better designers like Kentaro and Amy and  Brandon aren't consistently looking better than their models on the runway.  Batani doesn't even STYLE her models as well as she always styles herself - I understand she's stuck with the many limitations of the J C Penney accessory wall, but she doesn't pick great fabrics either.  The same was true for Fabio.  

• Love 4

Ok so if the world was a Just and True place, Thing 2 would get unceremoniously shoved out the door and stripped of her 25,000 prize, which would be Handed over to Kentaro with a dozen roses and a Sincere Apology. 

And bring Samantha back.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Lol  Amy has great personal style too but we haven't seen that reflected in her garments.  

They are working under terrible conditions and absurd time constraints.  Their tables and sewing machines (which are undoubtedly not the machines they are familar with) are in separate rooms.  There's all that chaos and drama to contend with.  Weird sleeping arrangements.  I've been sewing for over 50 years, and I know I'd be struggling to do acceptable work under those conditinos.  

• Love 11
On 10/5/2017 at 10:10 PM, millennium said:

The first manifestation of Claire's design was uncomfortably reminiscent of Margarita's, but Margarita should have said something and stopped it right there.   Instead she went passive-aggressive and let it gnaw at her, leading her to totally fuck-up

This.  A million times this.  I was yelling at the TV for her to go quietly talk to a producer about it.  Then move on, and do her best work.  She's really lucky she had immunity for this one.

• Love 5
On 10/8/2017 at 6:45 AM, jackjill89 said:

I remember in one of the first seasons on TC they had them use foods out of a vending machine.

Oh, I just mentioned this just the other day. Probably TMI, but one of my  dogs' pooped out a turd that looked just like Mikey's Snickers with a Cheeto stuck in it from that challenge. I yelled to my sister to come look at it. Sadly, I didn't have my phone to take a pic.

But what I came here to say was something I meant to say yesterday but forgot.  I was watching this week's Better Things episode, and the youngest daughter had a great crying scene. She had wet eyes; she looked truly miserable. Great job, little actress! And that reminded me that I was paying close attention to Claire at the beginning of this PR episode. I always clue in on fake criers, and Claire may have been emotionally upset, but she was fake crying. She kept wiping under her eyes, but  they were bone dry. Overly dramatic facial expressions, but no real tears.

Edited by carrps
Corrected odd syntax.
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I loved a lot of Fabio's work during Season 10, and IIRC, he never landed in the bottom 3. He took some risks during Allstars, but I still wouldn't say his (admittedly awesome) personal style is a huge departure from his design skills. 

I actually think of Dmitry/Fabio as a bit of a Kentaro/Brandon, where Dmitry was sort of overlooked all season despite his consistency, while Fabio stood out for his unique point of view. We'll see how it plays out for them this season. 

• Love 5
On 10/6/2017 at 9:52 AM, Surrealist said:

Maybe there will be a Tampax challenge in the near future?

It will be perfect--Tim's criticized more than one look as reminding him of menstruation, so we can see what he thinks when that's actually the challenge!

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, magpye29 said:

It will be perfect--Tim's criticized more than one look as reminding him of menstruation, so we can see what he thinks when that's actually the challenge!

And Brandon's strings will already be sewn in!

• Love 14