Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Client On The Go

Drogo
  • Start Topic

They are milking the sh*t out of this. Really, show, really?????!!!!

And Tim Gunn shilling DIXIE CUPS. I hope he is making a boatload of money, because I'm sure he must go home and drown his shame in alcohol every night. 

• Love 9

The first act TwinFest, the M&M confabs and Heidi's wide-eyed faux-innocent poking at the contestants it almost seemed like TPTB had decided they needed scripting by SNL for one of their telenovela parodies. After Shawn's "I concede", I actually said "gag" out loud.

A "woman on the go" challenge + a "woman who is not a professional model" challenge + a "dress a friend/relative of someone" challenge + a "make your own fabric print" challenge + a  "design a print for use by a product sponsor that has nothing to do with clothing" challenge = chaos, bad temper and dreadful design.

That nails it. They used the emotional chaos to camouflage the chaos of the challenge parameters.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, wings707 said:
2 hours ago, jrlr said:

And I want to know why Claire hasn't been auffed for recreating the outfit she wore (Nike or Adidas or something) for the model challenge, shoulder zip and all.

Yes!  I think this may be overlooked.  OR (getting excited now) that will come to their attention!  The cup should be mentioned, too.  Not because she copied the frayed stripe motif but Dixie wants a new design! 

And this is my point- Remember last week/two weeks ago when Amy Bond had her Instagram up for about 2 seconds with the side by side of the Puma/Adidas thing Claire wore in the opening episode and then the zip shoulder thing she "designed" a few episodes ago. Add to that the over and over with her and her sister referencing their audition clothes rack, referencing things they are already wearing ("pants from her closet"?), copying her sister's grey shirt with the cutouts in this episode? There is potential that she has been copying other designers already in production, copying her own designs, copying pants and clothes she and her sister have back at the hotel, and not even trying to modify it. That black shirt tonight is a direct copy of the gray jersey Shawn wore at the beginning of the same episode. The zip sweatshirt- direct copy.  We don't know the wardrobe the two of them brought with them so we don't know if they had a whole closetful of things that have been remade or copied, but with 3-4 already documented, that's cheating. And while I firmly believe that if you play on this game show you ought to be able to pull 20 designs out of your head at the necessary moment, have already made them 100 times each at home, know what fabrics would work and can make them in a day, that does NOT mean you should do a direct copy of someone else's work or not know how to sew a pair of cigarette pants. It means you should know what challenge to pull the cigarette pant look out from your mental inventory of available go-to's.

• Love 20

Based on Tim's dramatic posture from the previews for the season as well as the episode description for next week's episode, I think there's a lot more to the cheating allegations.  I'll spoiler tag it in case it's considered a spoiler:

S16, ep. 9 "A Little Avant Garde" - The fallout from the cheating scandal rocks the designers and leaves everyone wondering how they will move forward in the competition..."

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Yes, this challenge creates the perfect storm for designers not being able to truly get around to creating and executing an actual design.  Kintaro ran into the exact problem I had told my husband was an issue when they were sketching.  They were given the challenge, given the client, talked to the client and sketched.  Then they created their print and shopped at Mood.  The next morning they were presented their fabric with their design.  Kintaro had plans for his print that he had to completely toss when the fabric arrived and was not flowy.  Then tie Kintaro's hands a little more by having an "on the go"challenge to suit the sponsor, but also make him attempt to satisfy a client who's "on the go" to a wedding.  That's simply not a real world situation a designer should expect to face.  There's no meshing the idea of a paper cup graphic with formal wedding wear. 

I felt for Batani's problem with her printed fabric as well.   She had no way to anticipate what was going to happen when what she designed on screen came back with much sparser pattern density than she expected.  Practicing designing a print beforehand wouldn't have necessarily solved her problem either.  And what she designed was hideous, as was the awful shroud comment. 

Claire was in a tricky spot with her client immediately announcing she doesn't wear patterns.  Once again, a designer would not be caught in a position of deciding to force a client to wear a pattern to satisfy a sponsor.

You can't ride two horses with one ass, and it's really rude to put those types of demands on designers who are already dealing with exhaustion and stress of competition.   How about next season they kick off the show with the design a pattern activity as part of their icebreaking/party/get inspired bit?  Let them simply design a pattern that evening with the inspiration of the locale and possibly some hints about the challenge to come?  Wake up the next morning to completed fabric waiting in the workroom, an explanation of what they are to design -- and now sketch, shop and get to work -- or even go retrieve some unconventional stuff to work into their look, sketch and get to work with their printed fabric, some unconventional accent materials and maybe some plain fabric provided in the workroom to round out a look if they've absolutely got to do unconventional as a first  challenge.  At least then they have the opportunity to see what the actual fabric composition of their printed fabric is going to be, and can design something to utilize that fabric type.   Or at least have a sample printed fabric available so they know what the composition of the fabric they design will be suitable to design for.  

I felt for the designers who were working with their clients to come up with a concept that the client would actually want to wear -- only to hear from Tim, well where is the design, it can't just be a pair of pants.  Then they're out on the runway watching things be called out as "over designed" or "unflattering", while the more pedestrian, already available, ready to wear look is declared the winner.  I don't know how many asses the designers would have needed to ride all of the horses necessary to satisfy the sponsor, satisfy the client AND satisfy the idea that they must have a "designed look".  Interestingly enough the show highlighted how in past seasons for this same design a print challenge in one season a designer was eliminated for creating just a basic, ready to wear look that's already available -- and in the same challenge in another season another designer also used their printed fabric to create a virtually identical basic pant with a slightly different ready to wear top, and were declared the winner. 

Seems like maybe the contestants have been taking the flak for quite a few seasons for not being up to the caliber of those in the past.  Maybe it's not only the factor of time compression not allowing them to create some of the awesome looks we've seen come out of the workroom before, but maybe it's simply the production team getting lost in the idea of satisfying too many sponsors and forgetting that so many changes to so many moving parts begins to jumble up the challenges and make it virtually impossible for the designers to actually be free to design and bring great fashion to the runway, not through lack of talent, but through production obstacles they shouldn't be accountable for.

Shouldn't that print design program have a "print preview" option?

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, shksabelle said:

And Tim Gunn shilling DIXIE CUPS. I hope he is making a boatload of money, because I'm sure he must go home and drown his shame in alcohol every night. 

At least he can drown his alcohol shame in designer Dixie cups.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Carolina Girl said:

Considering that Kanye picks out all her clothes, so I'm told, she should really sit down and ask her husband why he hates her.  

I think the only thing he's picking out these days is imaginary nits.  From his own head.

8 hours ago, Sprockets said:

no one should be put thrpugh this kind of crap

Including the viewers.

8 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

On another subject, Yolanda Hadid (formerly Foster) looks spectacular.  Must be the Lyme disease is in remission and she has a fabulous plastic surgeon!!!! I didn't hear her say much, but I'm glad she's moving on with her life after that douche David Foster left her.

Yes, she's moved on to do reality shows.

Oh.

Never mind.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Nidratime said:

maybe women who wear "high fashion" only take elevators.

...walk runways.

7 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Ask any large woman - such as myself - if anyone is designing for us.  

Word to my sistah! 

An empire peplum.  Yeah, that's what the doctor ordered.  Oof.

• Love 4

If Claire has been sort of cheating all along, why have they all kept quiet? Is the whole show that badly rigged that they were told to shut up, yet drop hints, to build to this ridiculous non-climax climax?

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Lovecat said:

I keep imagining them getting caught in a closing subway door.  I really don't get his whole aesthetic.

I like most of what Brandon does, including the hanging strips of fabric for on the runway - but my instant thought when he did the outfit for the model to go out about town is that they were dragging on the ground and would get really dirty almost immediately!  On this one, I thought the pattern was uninteresting, although it suited his design just fine, and the overall outfit was middle-of-the-road for him.

I thought all the emphasis this episode on how much $25,000 means to most of these people was foreshadowing that there was going to be a problem if Claire won.  In the Spanish conversation, when Margarita and Michael note that "she's not going to win," so it would take care of itself eventually anyway, they meant she wasn't going to win the whole season, not that particular challenge - but combined with the hammering home about how much people needed $, it seemed pretty clear that if people didn't think the outcome was fair that it would finally be too much for someone.

I do think Claire's pattern best suited the Dixie cups, and that her outfit looked nice although it wasn't particularly creative.  It would be an understandable win if cheating is not an issue; and I do think Michael's design did not work at all; but I don't think that's why he had had enough.  It wasn't about him getting auffed - it was about her getting the $ instead of someone else (anyone else) who he felt deserved it.  IMO. 

i guess we'll see next week if Tim's horror is about cheating or about backbiting.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, babs j. said:

Re: the twins:  I wonder if Shawn was dominant even when they were in utero.

I think in R to the RW, they said that Claire was kicking Shawn in the head in utero, but I may be remembering incorrectly. Can someone confirm?

5 minutes ago, Bebecat said:

If Claire has been sort of cheating all along, why have they all kept quiet? Is the whole show that badly rigged that they were told to shut up, yet drop hints, to build to this ridiculous non-climax climax?

Exactly!  Either there is real suspicion that she's cheating, in which case a complaint should have been filed and this should not be drawn out, or this is all a load of crap, in which case that is a serious allegation and someone should go home for making it.  This all feels like petty high school shit.  

• Love 8

I never much liked Shawn but I am sorry she died. She must have died, right? Considering Clair'e reaction to her sister "conceding." It occurred to me while watching this episode that it isn't so much their over-enunciation but their physical mannerisms. My PR superfan friend and I watch this together and try to imitate the twins but it's really nothing without their queenly ways of moving and posing and emoting. They must be annoying AF in person.

The judges should really buy Kentaro dinner before they ass-rape him next time.

• Love 22
3 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think in R to the RW, they said that Claire was kicking Shawn in the head in utero, but I may be remembering incorrectly. Can someone confirm?

From the evidence we have, it seems to me they were both kicked in the head one too many times.  Also, no one knows what happens in utero except for the very brief snapshots they have on ultrasound.  And, before they were born, no one knew which one was Shawn and which one was Claire.  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, wings707 said:

The plus size models are not a good addition, for me.   I prefer seeing clothes on thin models.  

See I think this is the fundamental conundrum for me.  Are they seeking an avant-garde runway designer, or a creative, commercially successful designer for that area between off-the-rack and couture?  There seems to be a fair amount of vagueness about this for me.  In previous seasons, I was feeling like the final winner would be the one with the designs most unrelatable from my viewpoint.

Were they pressured to add larger models?  Did they do so willingly?  Hard to say. 

7 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Heidi needs to learn that not all women want to dress for evaluation of fuckability.

^This^.  If the judges are deferring to her due to her EP status, then the whole concept is out the window, IMO.  She was a model.  She's probably never sewn a button.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 11

One of the most laughable lines of the episode for me was when Shawn was becoming a martyr so that her sister could live she uttered 'I know that I might appear as the strong one because of my exterior look...' so even her shaved head and choice of clothing were purposefully chosen to make herself appear strong or tough.  The twins just need to get over themselves.

As does Margarita.  I believe that her entire comment on the runway was meant to be "I wasn't raised to throw anyone under the bus, I was only raised to be passive-aggressive."  I guess the editors just cut off the second part of that statement.

I wonder if the judges realized during the filming how much both of the twins copied their own outfits as well as the outfits that other people were wearing during the filming.  If they didn't realize it until the episodes starting airing I wonder how they feel.  They really are being shown as not even paying attention to the clothing being worn and then represented in the twins' "creative desings."

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Sorry - I meant that I think that is the cup inspired by Claire's graphic. If you zoom in, you can see that it looks more brush-stroke-y, like Claire's. And then I guess they did incorporate Kenya's element, too!

They should have put a horseshoe nose piercing thingy through the cup, then we would know for sure.  ?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

Good point and this sure fits with Margarita's hand gesture.  

They need concrete proof of rule breaking to auff her.  Ripping off the Addidas sweat shirt is not enough. 

I would imagine that there exists all the video / producer witnessing concrete they need.  If it weren't just a ratings grab that is.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shksabelle said:

I've been lied to.  You can find dignity in a bottle of booze.

phpf6WmkyPM.jpg

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 19
20 minutes ago, Silly Angel said:

Another thing: I hate the "cold shoulder." It's like the peep-toe boot. Are you cold, girl? Wear proper boots. Have sleeves. Are you warm? Wear normal shoes. Short or no sleeves. Sleeveless tunic "jackets"?

I enjoyed reading your post, but must disagree on the "cold shoulder" look.  I am 70 years old.  Between gravity and weight loss, the underneath of my upper arms is nothing that the world needs to see.  But I also have tattoos on my upper outer arms (just below the shoulder).  The only way I can flash my tattoos is by pulling up the sleeve of a t-shirt (which I wear most of the time), or wearing a cold shoulder top (which for me is "dressing up").  When I do wear the cold shoulder tops, I am frequently stopped by people who love the subjects (Harry Potter on one, Les Mis on the other), or just think it's awesome that a woman of my age actually has tattoos.

:-)

• Love 21

Aw, now I feel bad. Your ink sounds amazing, AZChristian! I have stocking "seams" running up the backs of my legs with little bows above the backs of my knees, so I don't have to think about clothes to show them off, beyond short dresses or skirts. I'm just very literal when it comes to showing skin where everything else is covered. I know what it's like to consider your tattooes every time you get dressed. I'm 51 but the dancer's legs are still showable. (I hope.)

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Silly Angel said:

Aw, now I feel bad. Your ink sounds amazing, AZChristian! I have stocking "seams" running up the backs of my legs with little bows above the backs of my knees, so I don't have to think about clothes to show them off, beyond short dresses or skirts. I'm just very literal when it comes to showing skin where everything else is covered. I know what it's like to consider your tattooes every time you get dressed. I'm 51 but the dancer's legs are still showable. (I hope.)

Well, your response was so sweet (and the description of your tats so interesting!) that I guess we can still be cyber-friends.  LOL.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I enjoyed reading your post, but must disagree on the "cold shoulder" look.  I am 70 years old.  Between gravity and weight loss, the underneath of my upper arms is nothing that the world needs to see.  But I also have tattoos on my upper outer arms (just below the shoulder).  The only way I can flash my tattoos is by pulling up the sleeve of a t-shirt (which I wear most of the time), or wearing a cold shoulder top (which for me is "dressing up").  When I do wear the cold shoulder tops, I am frequently stopped by people who love the subjects (Harry Potter on one, Les Mis on the other), or just think it's awesome that a woman of my age actually has tattoos.

:-)

*Tattoo solidarity*. I ne ER thought of cold shoulder tips to show them off I'm totally buying one ASAP.  BTW am 66. 

• Love 6

I'm just starting to watch the episode but I have to comment:

Shawn did the far, far better thing. She jumped into the tumbril (next to the little seamstress) and bravely faced the guillotine on behalf of her loved one. And Claire will name her firstborn "Sidney", oops, I meant "Shawn." Yes it was a far, far better thing that Shawn stay and compete, free from the shackles of her twin.

• Love 10

I loved Michael's reaction. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a short speech to the judges outing them for the shills they apparently are. Speaking or acting up in the face of shear hypocrisy is a good thing. It's not sour grapes. No one is a rat. This is about using people to create drama and ratings. I have nothing but contempt for the producers and the judges who play along.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, shksabelle said:

I don't see anything wrong with his hawking Dixie cups or any of the other products he sells.  He's probably laughing all the way to the bank.  Many celebrities do this and I'm sure they find it very profitable.  It doesn't matter to me who sponsors the individual challenges.  I watch the show because I still enjoy it.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, babs j. said:

Re: the twins:  I wonder if Shawn was dominant even when they were in utero.

Ha! Baby A and Baby B, like my grandsons. Knowing who turned out to be who, it is pretty funny to look at their ultrasounds and think Yup, I know who those guys are. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sprockets said:

From the evidence we have, it seems to me they were both kicked in the head one too many times.  Also, no one knows what happens in utero except for the very brief snapshots they have on ultrasound.  And, before they were born, no one knew which one was Shawn and which one was Claire.  

They probably could tell. Twins get tagged Baby A and Baby B in utero. We know which is which on the images our son gave us of his boys. And he was there when Baby A was taken out first (c-section) and had already been named in utero. So we can look at the ultrasounds and say, Wow, Carson was sure a bruiser, and whatnot. 

2 hours ago, vibeology said:

Not a chance. Nothing freaks Tim out more than the idea of menstruation. 

Perhaps he will learn that pink and purple are not involved. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 7

The juxtaposition of Kenya’s amused eye roll/bitch face and Claire’s confusion after Michael walked off the runway and they were all being questioned by Heidi was greatness.

I just love Kentaro.  His design wasn’t perfect - at a minimum it should have been shorter I think - but I love how he took the critique from Tim and his client that it was too simple and then just like ho hum created that awesome pleating on the back that I really don’t think I’ve ever seen before.  And, he didn’t bitch and moan about how he “had” to use colors he doesn’t usually use to please the client. 

• Love 24
3 hours ago, Pastry Chef said:

I thought Claire’s pattern looked like white fabric with muddy tire tread.

Not so much “Girl on the Run” as “Girl Who has been Run Over.”

Poor Dixie got screwed with that design, not at all interesting and won't help sell one damn cup.  Dixie should demand a refund of sponsorship fees and the award paid to Clair, and an apology for allowing the good name of a reputable disposable beverage cup company to be associate with such nonsense. 

• Love 6

Dixie should demand a refund of sponsorship fees and the award paid to Clair, and an apology for allowing the good name of a reputable disposable beverage cup company to be associate with such nonsense. 

Or, associated with a possible cheater.

• Love 6

To me, it all comes down to $25,000 going to those 2 obnoxious scam artists.  Neither deserved even a fraction of that prize money, but we all know Claire would split it with Shawn.  If the "win" stands and she gets the money, it will be the most undeserved & unearned prize in the history of this show.  And it already has a LOT to answer for. 

• Love 21

I'm sorry but Claire did not deserve the win.  Although, what she made was fine - it was not fashion forward nor unique.  Kentaro's (despite too much fabric) was beautiful.

And (it definitely does NOT pain me to say) Claire and Sean have clearly copied (the model design challenge - a direct copy of what the model and designer wore the day they met Adidas) or "borrowed" practically since they started on this show.  I don't understand why the judges did not see this, nor why Tim didn't say anything (he saw things that judges have plausible deniability about).  I think it would be difficult for the other contestants to say anything but someone did say something back in the season with the guy and his pattern book as well as his disappearing.  It was so strongly felt that he was "aufed", based on what the other contestants said that they saw (I really don't remember if the book was actually found).

As for Margarite - well, count me in as someone who has had to plow through blatant unfairness or see others not being called out for things that you (or I) would be called on the carpet for.  This has happened to me.  Then when I finally can't take it anymore, I sound like an idiot or a whiner.  Sorry totally about me (although Margarite kind of annoys me but way less than the twins ever have).

• Love 14

Do they still keep each episode's winning and losing looks on dressforms, in order of episode, and in the workroom or in a workroom nearby? I haven't seen them in a while. If they do, if I were Margarite, I would have just rolled it over to where Claire was working and let Claire see the similarity.

Do we think the clients actually wore the garments eventually? 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Do they still keep each episode's winning and losing looks on dressforms, in order of episode, and in the workroom or in a workroom nearby? I haven't seen them in a while. If they do, if I were Margarite, I would have just rolled it over to where Claire was working and let Claire see the similarity.

I don't recall seeing the dress forms recently.  I think it would be funny if they had extra dress forms so they could include the stuff that the twins wore that they copied and presented in challenges.  

ETA:  However, I would NOT want to see a dressmaker's form with Aaron's see-through pants!!!!

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 5
55 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

That's a question I've often had.  If they don't get to keep the outfits, why do the clients get so damn emotional about how they turn out? 

The other question I've often had is why do the sewtestants get excited about a winning design being put into production?  In this case, $25K talks, but in the vast majority of the other challenges, the winning design is featured on the sponsor web page without a credit to the actual designer.  Just identified as a Project Runway project.  So they get no recognition outside the show.

• Love 3

Shawn - “I must leave you now, Dear sister. For it is a far far better thing that I do…” Got it. I give her props though, for not claiming some bogus reason for not going through with the challenge and just saying that she thinks her sister is more talented and deserving. Although I maintain that Shawn had the concepts and her sister had the technique so neither is worthy on her own. These two really need each other and prefer to work as a single entity. I can accept that. I’m not a twin. What do I know?

Amy - Pants flaps? Okay. I’ve liked some of her earlier work, but she puts a lot of effort in the most extraneous shit.

Brandon - I’m convinced he’s never taken the subway (or an elevator or escalator) because all those hanging tabs would definitely get caught on something while the poor woman keeps moving.

Batani - Nina nailed this critique. This was a pattern challenge. That’s supposed to be her thing. She didn’t deliver on that and the sewing looked like she had suffered a stroke. 

Margarita - "I wasn’t raised to throw anyone under the bus. Fortunately, I was raised to perceive artistic thievery in those who annoy me, start a whisper campaign to discredit them, and then convince more easily coercible types to fall on their sword for my beliefs, while I cooly retain my position and stand stoically in my truth. Also, yes my outfit is bad, but that’s not my fault, because I was distracted… by myself."

Claire - It’s a top and pants that one could confidently replicate in under a half hour of shopping at Macy’s. Sadly it was the second best outfit of the evening.

Ayana -  A dress with a wonky hem cut too high. and still managed to be boring.

Michael - He’s had one Margarita too many and it’s time to cut him off. Blouse gate was over before it even started, and Claire’s pants… are standard pants. Which is probably what he should have done. I’m not sure who would want to wear a pair of pants with layers of extra fabric at the waist. Frankly this look seems “inspired’ by Brandon’s style and no one called him out on that.

Kenya - It’s like she had an Oprah moment and start pointing to various parts of her client’s body saying “You get a peplum! And you get a peplum!” The hell was she thinking? 

Kentaro -  Now, he’s the one who should have walked off that stage! That outfit was the best thing I’ve seen on the show all season. And the man even sewed in the Dixie label! Dixie may not want to make a cup with pleats, but they can damn sure make an orange and fuchsia cup . 

As for Heidi, girl get off Kentaro’s ass. Not every long dress needs leg slits that almost meet the neckline. 

6B968312-6030-4957-921F-E5B03B48E13A.jpeg

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 12