Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Client On The Go

Drogo
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, gingerormaryann said:

I completely disagree.  This was Claire's print.  It's an abstract.  I think it would be hard to envision that become the Dixie cup in said episode. Even on her model, she did not use it so the stripes went completely around the leg.

DLa4wgvUEAAPbum.jpg

41TzAMFub7L._SY355_.jpg

Do you think Solo cups will let them use that print?

• Love 8

Sorry, I think both of Claire's pieces are ill-fitting and the fabric look incredibly cheap.  The shirt fabric looks like polyester lining fabric.  The design of the pants in the front makes the "model" look like she's wearing an athletic cup, and in the back, it makes her ass look rectangular.  The length of the legs make her look stumpy, and those heels don't help at all.  NOT flattering.

And no, I will never have anything good to say about anything she produces.  Ever. 

• Love 18
12 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Sorry, I think both of Claire's pieces are ill-fitting and the fabric look incredibly cheap.  The shirt fabric looks like polyester lining fabric.  The design of the pants in the front makes the "model" look like she's wearing an athletic cup, and in the back, it makes her ass look rectangular.  The length of the legs make her look stumpy, and those heels don't help at all.  NOT flattering.

And no, I will never have anything good to say about anything she produces.  Ever. 

The judges have mentioned the twins wardrobe is better than what they are creating for their models.   Not sure what this is saying but maybe they have not made their own clothes or copied them from a garment they had measured.   

• Love 1
On 10/6/2017 at 6:48 AM, Surrealist said:

I feel the same way. 

I still don't quite understand what supposedly happened that just SO AWFUL. If Margarita believed Claire cheated, then she should have said something immediately. If I were Margarita, I wouldn't go around spreading the rumor that Claire cheated because that could backfire on me. Michael should stay out of it. This isn't the hill he should choose to die on. 

I would never make cheating accusations about someone, unless I already had the evidence in hand. 

I really believe that Margarita and Michael are digging themselves a hole. Margarita was an early favorite of mine, but she's acting like an idiot. I don't care for Claire, but I haven't seen her do anything or act in a way that makes me think she's been cheating. Like the rest of you, I'll have to wait and see. There's a slight chance I will be eating my words.

I agree. It's really hard to prove unless it's an exact copy. The best thing to do is make better work that's hard to copy where your voice is stronger. Anything else makes you look petty. Unfortunately, I know this from experience. I have sympathy for her as it's really tough to see someone take your idea and win with it and not credit you. However, pros take that as a challenge and don't gossip and whine about it.  Hopefully, Margarita will learn something too.

• Love 3

On the one hand, I want to say that they were so fed up with the twins that this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. That it isn't necessarily about the pants, but that they're just over all the other stuff the twins have done*. On the other hand, Margarita is a mean girl and Michael is a follower. I have little support. 

*Now, if this controversy was over the shorts outfit, I'd be totally on board. Because that outfit WAS copied, from top to bottom. But we just became aware of that one. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, gingerormaryann said:

That wasn't my point.  If people are going to accuse Claire of copying a design, Kenya pretty much did the same thing.

At least in her TH, Kenya said her print was a reference to Dixie. Claire did not.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Elizabette said:

They showed those same cups in the break room. Which now I think is where Claire got her “inspiration”. 

Claire's is totally different, though, because her stripes were on the diagonal.  Kidding.

Wasn't there something just recently where I joked about someone's excuse being a super lame attempt to convince the world of something that was pretty obvious to to all the rest of us?  Like Vanilla Ice explaining that he hadn't ripped off Queen.

With regard to body types hindering creativity, I tend to think that varying body types would require designers to be more creative.  That's why they hate it.

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, lizzyp said:

With regard to body types hindering creativity, I tend to think that varying body types would require designers to be more creative.  That's why they hate it.

Sometimes more time consuming sewing techniques are needed with curvier women.  If darts are needed and a "designer" doesn't know how to mathematically calculate how the pattern piece must be measured, cut, then sewn to produce something that will fit a 47" bust, then they end up with a crappy looking top that will never fit.   Waistbands that curve to truly fit and pant darts that flatter the rear can be equally complicated.  These are tough to pull off with so little time. 

Thin women with few curves (i.e, the usual model body) can often have a piece of fabric draped ON them, secured in a few strategic places, then Voila!  Fashion on the catwalk.  Try that on a size 22 woman and the only place she can go is to a toga party. 

I don't think most of them hate having to be creative, it's just VERY difficult with the time constraints.  

• Love 17
48 minutes ago, Snappy said:

At least in her TH, Kenya said her print was a reference to Dixie. Claire did not.

I would think that if Dixie is your sponsor and they are going to be handing out 25 grand, it is smart to reference their product as your inspiration.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Sometimes more time consuming sewing techniques are needed with curvier women. 

It's a whole different ball game, isn't it?  People who don't sew cannot understand the issues.  

• Love 9

I think I understand from leighdear's post about mathematically calculating the fabric needed to cover a 47 inch bust, and the darting and seams necessary to create a good fit.  Seems fiendishly difficult.

• Love 3

It can be very challenging.  I absolutely believe that if the models on this season had been used for Anya's season, she never would have won.  She just didn't have the skills.  You have to have more than just creativity. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, rhys said:

Wow, Tim has aged. Damn. Thanks for the the trip down memory lane.

That's the first thing I said! Wow, Tim has gotten old. You don't notice it as much when you see it gradually.

Claire's pants shouldn't have been cropped. They made her model's legs look stumpy. Also, the pants had a saggy bottom. Not fitted all that well.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, leighdear said:

It can be very challenging.  I absolutely believe that if the models on this season had been used for Anya's season, she never would have won.  She just didn't have the skills.  You have to have more than just creativity. 

Attitude.  Enunciation.  Superiority complex.   They're all important.

• Love 9
On 10/6/2017 at 0:54 PM, wings707 said:

I would not be surprised if Claire walked out.  She misses her sister and why stay in a hostile work environment if you were found guilty or not.  

Why would Clair walk out? By all appearances (or at least, based on the way this was edited) both Claire and Shawn were oblivious of their effect on the other designers. From what we've seen so far, nobody has said anything to them.

...Although I did notice that when Margarita mentioned over and over that she didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, Claire did not say "what are you talking about?" which makes me scratch my head. If she didn't know what Margarita was talking about, why didn't she ask? (Did she look confused? I don't remember.) And if she did know, then however she came to know it must've happened off camera.

On 10/6/2017 at 0:46 PM, BarneySays said:

As for the designs, dear god, how were they able to so expertly pick a group of equally untalented clothes-makers?  One outfit was worse than the next.  The Laurie Anderson knock-off should be ashamed.  What were those flaps hanging from the model's waist?  Just lazy extensions that served solely to incorporate the required textile. 

Word. So much has been made of the Margarita/Michael/Claire drama, it completely distracted from the rest of the WTF on the runway. What the hell are those pants? Her design looked like it came from one of those beginner sewing kits where the fabric comes with the pattern already printed on it, so all you have to do is cut around the shapes.

59d95417ee2fe_pr16-ep8-AmyBond.thumb.png.aba3017a91aefcd2e34334b829ab54e0.png

Ayana's was also very very mediocre. Pretty, but so...so.... Is there a word in the English language for the exact opposite of inspired/fresh/elevated/interesting? Pedestrian, maybe?

I shudder to think what this would've looked like with pants underneath.

59d9595d48b62_pr16-ep8-AyanaIfe.thumb.png.d51830c40fd52797ce9704cbca55e28a.png

Meanwhile, her model gets the prize for best beauty makeover.

pr16-ep8-7.thumb.jpg.e578fae3f652bded22971f26ba510801.jpg

On 10/6/2017 at 2:47 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

An empire peplum.  Yeah, that's what the doctor ordered.  Oof.

What I can't understand is how this was designed by a short, busty, round woman like Kenya. She has undoubtedly faced all of the challenges plus sized women confront when shopping for clothing. How could she not see how unflattering that top would be? But then I saw this and realized, nope. She really has no idea.

59d95564e9c15_kenyafreeman.thumb.jpg.45920bf83ae13cb586e0c34c2230d853.jpg

21 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Poor Dixie got screwed with that design, not at all interesting and won't help sell one damn cup. 

Ah, but Dixie doesn't have to USE her design. They just have to be "inspired" by it. Which probably explains why their rep wasn't a judge. It didn't really matter who won, since Dixie isn't obligated to use that actual design. And speaking of which...where is it? Where is the "Claire" cup? Not on the PR website. Not on the Dixie website. Although they do have a place where you can sign up for up-to-the-minute updates on what's new with Dixie. And I have to wonder, aside from Dixie employees and shareholders, who else is the audience for that?

2 hours ago, leighdear said:

Sometimes more time consuming sewing techniques are needed with curvier women.

This. Whether you are pro plus models or not, the way they are doing it this season isn't fair. Over the course of the season (presumably) everyone takes a turn or two with a plus model. That may seem fair over the long run. But within each individual challenge, only a few must contend with the additional time and complexity issues. For each challenge, everyone's models should be approximately the same size/proportions. Whether they are all size 2 or size 14 doesn't matter, so long as it is a level playing field.

And the last thing I have to say is Nina looked very nice this episode. It's a nice change from some of the bizarre things she's worn this season.

pr16-ep8-28.thumb.jpg.cce0f08ff3fc4499a60f8df5a2391c77.jpg

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 12
24 minutes ago, millennium said:

Attitude.  Enunciation.  Superiority complex.   They're all important.

Indeed. 

OH.GOOD.LORD      Is Kenya's olive green top made of Neoprene? 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Indeed. 

LOL!!

1 hour ago, sleepyjean said:

Why would Clair walk out? By all appearances (or at least, based on the way this was edited) both Claire and Shawn were oblivious of their effect on the other designers. From what we've seen so far, nobody has said anything to them.

My thought is it will become clear to her that the other designers have been talking behind her back and tattling to production, she may not to work in that environment and just say fuck it and leave.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

The twins shouldn't have been on this show. Worst gimmick in showbiz. At least they could have been talented, interesting, or personable. No, annoying pretentious assholes. Damn reality TV. And the cliffhangers are so tired. Claire better not win this. That would be final straw time for me. Anya was at least nice. Gretchen and Erin were sort of talented. Narrative storylines my ass!

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

LOL!!

My thought is it will become clear to her that other designers have been talking behind her back and tattling to production, she may not to work in that environment and just say fuck it and leave.  

And she can say she's leaving because it's a hostile workplace and seem like a victim. I had a co-worker who was allowed to quit after we (OK, I) caught her plagiarizing hotos and news articles. She should have been fired for it, but the bosses inexplicably loved her. Her stated reason for leaving was that it was a hostile workplace. My response was, "Hell, yeah, I'm hostile. You've been stealing other people's work and passing it off as your own." I imagine the other designers feel the same about Claire and Shawn, although they at least had to do some work even if they stole the designs.

• Love 17
31 minutes ago, slensam said:

The twins shouldn't have been on this show. Worst gimmick in showbiz. At least they could have been talented, interesting, or personable. No, annoying pretentious assholes. Damn reality TV. And the cliffhangers are so tired. Claire better not win this. That would be final straw time for me. Anya was at least nice. Gretchen and Erin were sort of talented. Narrative storylines my ass!

They were tolerable on Twinning but only because the rest of the cast was so good.  On this show it really has been a failed gimmick.  I wonder if any of the designers knew they'd been on reality TV before.  One thing I really don't like on competitive reality TV is contestants helping each other to the detriment of the competition, and the twins led to that.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 7

I too will defend the appropriate use of a peplum.  It can help if you don't have a bum. 

The best peplum reference is from Designing Women....I couldn't find it on youtube...but those ladies of Sugarbaker's could rock a peplum.

I hated the "indian blanket" pants...but they would have probably looked better on a size zero but his customer liked it.

Maybe I was half asleep but  thought Michael might be accusing the remaining twin copy her print off pants she has?  

• Love 2

If Claire-bear leaves of her own volition I think we can expect a Razzie-level performance, at least as histrionic as Baldy's was, with Claire "not wanting to make everyone else uncomfortable."  The problem with that is that she - like Baldy - will act like she is taking the moral high ground and never have to acknowledge (even to herself) that she's just a shitty, copycat designer. 

• Love 12
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:50 AM, RedheadZombie said:

And while it's always rude to speak about someone in the same room in another language, I will say that I only ever see it commented on when the "other" language is Spanish.  This is not an attack on those who've commented on it, just a general observation on society.

I don't agree with this at all.  I've been bitching for 25+ years now about the Vietnamese ladies at nail salons clearly talking shit about clients right in front of them in Vietnamese.  Maybe you just notice it more because Spanish is an extremely common language spoken in this country?

• Love 16
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

Sometimes more time consuming sewing techniques are needed with curvier women.  If darts are needed and a "designer" doesn't know how to mathematically calculate how the pattern piece must be measured, cut, then sewn to produce something that will fit a 47" bust, then they end up with a crappy looking top that will never fit.   Waistbands that curve to truly fit and pant darts that flatter the rear can be equally complicated.  These are tough to pull off with so little time. 

Thin women with few curves (i.e, the usual model body) can often have a piece of fabric draped ON them, secured in a few strategic places, then Voila!  Fashion on the catwalk.  Try that on a size 22 woman and the only place she can go is to a toga party. 

I don't think most of them hate having to be creative, it's just VERY difficult with the time constraints.  

All true except for the simple fact that any decent fashion course/school/university/internship would include patterning and advanced patterning as a matter of course. If wherever you studied doesn't have these classes than get your ass to someplace which does or buy a few good patterning books and educate yourself--especially if you opt to apply to a reality show where being able to pattern a garment is clearly  a major component, no matter what dress size your model may be. Pretty much every season has a 'real woman' challenge--prepare for it. The time constraints and lack of sleep are part of the equation which they all sold have understood when they signed on.

While I'm sympathetic with the stress and difficulties of what they're all doing, they should have gone in with their eyes open.

2 hours ago, carrps said:

That's the first thing I said! Wow, Tim has gotten old. You don't notice it as much when you see it gradually.

A long time friend of mine was a childhood friend of Tim before my friend's family moved to where they've lived the last 50 years or so. The 2 families were friends and stayed in touch despite distance.  Pat will be 64 in a few weeks; Tim would be about the same age.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, lezlers said:

I don't agree with this at all.  I've been bitching for 25+ years now about the Vietnamese ladies at nail salons clearly talking shit about clients right in front of them in Vietnamese.  Maybe you just notice it more because Spanish is an extremely common language spoken in this country?

I agree on both.  There are many more Spanish speaking people here than from other countries.  And it drives me nuts in nail salons especially when they laugh!  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I too will defend the appropriate use of a peplum.  It can help if you don't have a bum. 

The best peplum reference is from Designing Women....I couldn't find it on youtube...but those ladies of Sugarbaker's could rock a peplum.

You go, Suzanne Sugarbaker! Man, I used to love that show.

59d97ebe93ae8_designingwomen.jpg.b2a650aabdf442ee46dc5520d68feab9.jpg

1 hour ago, lezlers said:

+1. This happens anyplace in the country where there are pockets of non-native English speakers. I live in a very diverse area, and I see this happen with people of many ethnicities and nationalities.

3 hours ago, wings707 said:

LOL!!

My thought is it will become clear to her that the other designers have been talking behind her back and tattling to production, she may not to work in that environment and just say fuck it and leave.  

I just posted the FW collections in the Fashion Week thread. For those who are interested, there's a big hint as to whether Clair stays or goes.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, amazingracefan said:

They were tolerable on Twinning but only because the rest of the cast was so good.  On this show it really has been a failed gimmick.  I wonder if any of the designers knew they'd been on reality TV before.  One thing I really don't like on competitive reality TV is contestants helping each other to the detriment of the competition, and the twins led to that.

Wait.   They were recruited from ANOTHER reality show?   I had no idea.   I thought they were unknowns who tried out for PR and used their twin-ness as a gimmick to get an edge over other candidates.    So they aren't designers at all?   What did they do?   Take a six-week adult education course in fashion design to give themselves a smidgen of credibility?  That's why Shawn is such an incompetent.  NOW this all makes sense.

Speaking of Shawn's incompetence, I never for a second bought her "self-sacrifice" as sisterly love.   It was a cheap and transparent attempt to mask a grandiose CHOKE as a heartfelt gesture.

Oh, and I want to destroy Claire's supersized visor.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Wait.   They were recruited from ANOTHER reality show?   I had no idea.   I thought they were unknowns who tried out for PR and used their twin-ness as a gimmick to get an edge over other candidates.    So they aren't designers at all?   What did they do?   Take a six-week adult education course in fashion design to give themselves a smidgen of credibility?  That's why Shawn is such an incompetent.  NOW this all makes sense.

Not quite. According to this article, they studied fashion in college and worked in fashion before Twinning, which was 2 years ago. It looks like they've pursing fashion as a career for about 5-7 years.

"The two studied fashion technology at Lansing Community College and entrepreneurial business at the University of Michigan-Flint. So far, their fashion credits include creating a candy-themed dress for Katy Perry, interning for designer Betsey Johnson and being featured in Teen Vogue."

• Love 2
1 minute ago, sleepyjean said:

Not quite. According to this article, they studied fashion in college and worked in fashion before Twinning, which was 2 years ago. It looks like they've pursing fashion as a career for about 5-7 years.

"The two studied fashion technology at Lansing Community College and entrepreneurial business at the University of Michigan-Flint. So far, their fashion credits include creating a candy-themed dress for Katy Perry, interning for designer Betsey Johnson and being featured in Teen Vogue."

LOL, now there's NO explanation for Shawn's incompetence.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

I think it is interesting that Yolanda Foster went back to Hadid...which is another married name of hers. I guess it is so everyone knows she's the mom of her famous model offspring. 

ABSOLUTELY!  

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, Nidratime said:

Brandon and his strings/ribbons/tabs. How do you sit in those clothes without sitting on the strings? Get out of a car? or slide out of a booth at a restaurant?

Frankly, they're a safety hazard. I can see them getting caught in an escalator. Or, maybe women who wear "high fashion" only take elevators.

You wouldn't want to cook over a gas stove wearing them.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, slensam said:

Anya was at least nice.

Nice?  Wouldn't she have had to be considering how she had to depend on other designers for help?  I didn't find her nice at all on Under the Gunn, or Mondo either for that matter.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Beden said:

All true except for the simple fact that any decent fashion course/school/university/internship would include patterning and advanced patterning as a matter of course. If wherever you studied doesn't have these classes than get your ass to someplace which does or buy a few good patterning books and educate yourself--especially if you opt to apply to a reality show where being able to pattern a garment is clearly  a major component, no matter what dress size your model may be. Pretty much every season has a 'real woman' challenge--prepare for it. The time constraints and lack of sleep are part of the equation which they all sold have understood when they signed on.

While I'm sympathetic with the stress and difficulties of what they're all doing, they should have gone in with their eyes open.

No skills-based Reality show EVER has only trained individuals competing.  Just as no singing competition has only trained vocalists, no cooking competition has only trained chefs, this show will never have only individuals schooled and trained in fashion design & construction.  

My point was that individuals can rarely substitute education and training for just desire and creativity.  And sadly, this show will never again be about innovation, style and excellence in fashion. 

Now it's just another scripted drama with extra neoprene and exposed zippers.  

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Nice?  Wouldn't she have had to be considering how she had to depend on other designers for help?  I didn't find her nice at all on Under the Gunn, or Mondo either for that matter.

Nobody was really nice on "Under the Gunn". That show ruined a few images.

• Love 10

Since when is an immune contestant chosen to be among the bottom three?  On more than one occasion I've heard Heidi tell a contestant that was announced as "safe" - if you didn't have immunity, you'd be going home tonight.  The producers wanted Margarita on the stage for a whole other reason. 

• Love 8

It just occurred to me: where is the Unconventional Materials challenge?  Where is the Avant Garde challenge?

Are they scaling back the difficulty level to accommodate the low levels of talent in this crop of designers?   I suspect Unconventional Materials would have proven a disaster for at least half of the original group.

the above is next week

11 minutes ago, millennium said:

t just occurred to me: where is the Unconventional Materials challenge?  Where is the Avant Garde challenge?

Are they scaling back the difficulty level to accommodate the low levels of talent in this crop of designers?   I suspect Unconventional Materials would have proven a disaster for at least half of the original group.

Edited by dgpolo
clarity
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, wings707 said:

LOL!!

Claire doesn't seem the type to walk away from the $25,000 cash prize for this challenge, unless she's disqualified. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

You wouldn't want to cook over a gas stove wearing them.

I'd like to know how anyone could keep the strings from strangling everything in the washer. You'd end up with one huge mess of clothes after the spin cycle.

• Love 8