Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E08: Client On The Go

Drogo
  • Start Topic

It is worth going back to the 2 minute trailer that previewed the entire season. I won't mention details so that I don't spoil anything, but Tim is upset about the "lack of professionalism" demonstrated. It's not clear who he's speaking to or about -- but from what was shown on this episode, it would seem to be Michael and Margarita.

Margarita annoyed me when she threw her model under the bus. Now she annoys me by playing the victim card, not once but twice. First when it appears that Claire is copying her blouse and second, when she starts wailing -- before the runway even starts! -- about how her head wasn't in the game (That's not Claire's fault, that's all you, honey), as if badmouthing her design before the show starts will make the judges more sympathetic to her design. 

Frankly, Margarita should have felt flattered that Claire thought she was worthy enough to be copied. I did not like Margarita's look last week. One win, and it went to her head.  I sincerely hope Margarita is auf-ed soon.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Miss Ruth said:

...peplums are no good for anyone.

I beg to differ; I'm shortwaisted, long legged, and the two best dresses I've ever owned had peplums at the waistline. It's an issue of fit, cut, design. That "empire" peplum was six inches too high and cut too full. Also, the "echo" peplum at the hemline was too much. She overdesigned, and frankly, I question her color palette as well. Don't blame the peplum, blame her execution of said feature. She did those poor peplums no justice. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, akr said:

I do think Claire's pattern best suited the Dixie cups,

Claire's pattern WAS the Dixie cup. They showed the cup throughout the episode -- it had black and white stripes. That's exactly what Claire did for her "print." She may have been selected as the winner because Dixie knew they could at least "use" her design.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, holly4755 said:

Marguarite, had the best cup design, but no goal to design to, her client apparently was too milktoast and did not inspire her with demands. 

Marguerite may have designed the best cup print, but that's because her dress looked like it was designed for one of those knock off fake barbie dolls from the Dollar General. Seriously, to complete the homage, she should have done the back up with badly positioned velcro in one long strip. Barbie pink, with bright blue notions haphazardly affixed, to a sleeveless (and shapeless) rectangle of fabric. And paired with a bolero jacket made out of grey car upholstery. The only redeeming feature of that dress was the thoughtful inclusion of pockets. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, pinguina said:

I'm sorry but Claire did not deserve the win.  Although, what she made was fine - it was not fashion forward nor unique.  Kentaro's (despite too much fabric) was beautiful.

And (it definitely does NOT pain me to say) Claire and Sean have clearly copied (the model design challenge - a direct copy of what the model and designer wore the day they met Adidas) or "borrowed" practically since they started on this show.  I don't understand why the judges did not see this, nor why Tim didn't say anything (he saw things that judges have plausible deniability about).  I think it would be difficult for the other contestants to say anything but someone did say something back in the season with the guy and his pattern book as well as his disappearing.  It was so strongly felt that he was "aufed", based on what the other contestants said that they saw (I really don't remember if the book was actually found).

As for Margarite - well, count me in as someone who has had to plow through blatant unfairness or see others not being called out for things that you (or I) would be called on the carpet for.  This has happened to me.  Then when I finally can't take it anymore, I sound like an idiot or a whiner.  Sorry totally about me (although Margarite kind of annoys me but way less than the twins ever have).

they searched his room and found the books under his bed. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

The other question I've often had is why do the sewtestants get excited about a winning design being put into production?  In this case, $25K talks, but in the vast majority of the other challenges, the winning design is featured on the sponsor web page without a credit to the actual designer.  Just identified as a Project Runway project.  So they get no recognition outside the show.

I always assumed they got a cut of the sales.  

• Love 2

Claire should not have won. Her print was ugly, and there was nothing original about her designs. Kentaro was robbed.

I'm on Margarita's side. Do I think she handled it well? No, but she knew it. She should have said something to Tim in the workroom about Claire copying her design and/or the use of the tape measure. But I don't blame her for being upset. I had something personal copied by someone who I thought was a friend, and I never felt the same way towards her afterwards. Plus, I can see Claire's personality being a really difficult one to get along with - she seems to have no awareness of others' feelings and has an exaggerated sense of her own self-importance.

• Love 10

This show's rebirth as a soap opera is entertaining as hell. I can't not turn in next time. Also, twins, like in every classic soap ever. 

I'll assume Clair cheated and still think Margarita is worse. Either say it or don't, and don't wind up others to do your dirty work. 

I'm considering the win and cash prize compensation for all the twin vs. twin drama, which I guess means I think it's fake. Brilliant plot twist, though. They should lower the overall prize package if contestants get this crazy over $25k and a Dixie cup "inspired by" their print. 

I wonder if there think it's balanced because they had an elimination at the beginning instead of the end.

• Love 5

Fun personal fact:

I live very near the Dixie Cup factories,  original and current. The father of one of my best childhood friends was an employee. 

The original, in Easton/Wilson Borough,  PA,  was the landmark for the entrance to the then-only highway (Rte 22) from PA to NYC, 90 minutes away. 

IOW, Dixie Cup has the proximity to the show to be a sponsor. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_cup#Dixie_cups

(I also drive past the store of Marla Duran,  Season 2, and the (hidden) home of Laura Bennett, Season 3, frequently! The latter is now a competitive archer on the international level! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Bennett )

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, Rancide said:

No, just when people speak in another language for the specific purpose of saying nasty things about people who are standing right there without having the person talked about be able to understand.

They were having a private conversation, they can speak whatever language they please.  They don't owe it to Claire or anyone else to be understandable.   I find it disturbing that there's this idea that others can't speak in a language other than English unless they're saying only nice things about other (white) people.  

• Love 22
5 hours ago, Nmissi said:

I beg to differ; I'm shortwaisted, long legged, and the two best dresses I've ever owned had peplums at the waistline. It's an issue of fit, cut, design. That "empire" peplum was six inches too high and cut too full. Also, the "echo" peplum at the hemline was too much. She overdesigned, and frankly, I question her color palette as well. Don't blame the peplum, blame her execution of said feature. She did those poor peplums no justice. 

The line you quoted and responded to is not mine.  I quoted that line from Bebecat,  and commented about Rose Nyland's (Betty White of The Golden Girls) peplums.

21 hours ago, Bebecat said:

...peplums are no good for anyone.

Edited by Miss Ruth
On 10/6/2017 at 0:51 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I'm surprised that there is a word for "Dixie" in Arabic.

I visited Egypt a lifetime ago and got a necklace made with my "name." It's just the sounds. I assume that's what she did with "Dixie."

• Love 2
15 hours ago, pinguina said:

And (it definitely does NOT pain me to say) Claire and Sean have clearly copied (the model design challenge - a direct copy of what the model and designer wore the day they met Adidas) or "borrowed" practically since they started on this show.  I don't understand why the judges did not see this, nor why Tim didn't say anything (he saw things that judges have plausible deniability about).  I think it would be difficult for the other contestants to say anything but someone did say something back in the season with the guy and his pattern book as well as his disappearing. 

Thank you. I think that was Michael somebody and a nastier little turd never walked; he also had 'disappeared' during filming, went AWOL, called various friends when phones were forbidden and was just generally a snotty PIA. As I recall one or more of his roommates went to Tim and told him that--yes--he had pattern books hidden under his bed or wherever. When confronted and tossed off the show he was the most put upon, bullied, wronged victim you ever saw. At the end of season reunion he played the same tune, unapologetic, unrepentant and still as nasty and victimized as ever.

The point is that his fellow contestants turned him in, outraged about his not even slightly subtle cheating and flaunting of the rules.

My personal theory is that most people are generally nice, don't want to make waves and wish to just get on with things and hope that the problem people will be fingered by someone else and wrongs will be righted without them getting involved. While there were lots of eye rolls and private complaints about the twins, I suspect that no one wanted to actually wanted to be the finger pointer...until now. Plus this way TPTB get the upped drama factor.

Of course, we don't actually know if it is/was, indeed, one of both of the twins who were busted. They might  be a bit of an annoying red herring and the real contestant is someone completely different.

It will be interesting to see what supposedly really happened next week.

Edited by Beden
  • Love 3
On 10/6/2017 at 0:05 AM, akr said:

She just spelled it phonetically - dksy, basically.  Maybe an extra e/y character between d & k, although it would be a design choice.  I couldn't really see it well enough to tell.  

[edit:  I looked at it more closely - it's d-kh-s-y ]

It was creative for this challenge (broader marketing opportunities for Dixie) and the end result was a very pretty design. Her fabric was my favorite. 

• Love 9
On 10/5/2017 at 10:29 PM, Beaner said:

Oh dear God, not another cliffhanger.

My first thought when watcing this yesterday  (dvr'd it), was "This is how they are going to get viewers to come back." or so they think.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Elizabette said:

They showed those same cups in the break room. Which now I think is where Claire got her “inspiration”. 

When Claire’s look came out, I honestly thought her model was wearing distressed/bleached jeans vs. it being a “conceived” print. Seeing this cup makes sense where Claire got her “inspiration”, and while stripes are technically a print, they aren’t exactly innovative. Betani and Margarita’s prints may not have come out the way the designers intended, but at least they were more original. While I don’t agree with talking in a language not understood by everyone or Margarita’s passive aggressiveness, I think M&M’s reactions were also due to the judges’ global acceptance of, and praise for, Claire’s designs regardless of flaws or unoriginality. Personally, I liked Kentaro’s the best. In the interest of full disclosure, I also love his personality.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

This show's rebirth as a soap opera is entertaining as hell. . . .

I wonder if there think it's balanced because they had an elimination at the beginning instead of the end.

Best description EVAH!!!

And they're an elimination behind, yes?

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

Probably TMI about my lack of emotional restraint, sorry.

No no no - don't apologize!  I identified with every word of that post.  I too could understand where Margarita is coming from - in a way - but couldn't articulate it.  You did so beautifully.  Emotional-American:  Genius.  I'm going to put that down on the next form I fill out.  And to make this worship complete, I also hate cold-shoulders and peep-toe boots.  Those looks are the epitome of irony.  And obvious lip injections just bring attention to the fact that one has had obvious lip injections.  They all look bad. 

The Last Twin Standing cannot leave soon enough.  Loathsome.  I'm hoping all this cliffhanger hype isn't leading up to some kind of unholy vindication of Clair Bear - but for now the show is making us think that her shenanigans will be revealed next week when in reality she'll get a pass.  If PR is as scripted as I think it is, then TPTB have to know how much the viewers hate the twins and that Claire advancing even further may lose viewers.

• Love 9

Very boring opening to the episode, the sudden death challenge never happened, not that surprising as Shawn should have gone anyway.  Then a challenge based on one they had already done in the past, to do with the crew of the show, only this time their family.  It just felt insular and boring, I don't care about their friends getting airtime.

Margarita did liven up the main show, but the edit was just so overdone, they kept editing in glances of her on the runway for instance (most likely not relating to what was said), they set up two confessionals from other designers against her.  It's like they want to make her some pantomime villain or something.  She is one of the few characters in the season so I don't think the producers should do this manipulation of the audience.

At least we had some REAL drama, finally, at the end, with Michael walking off the runway.  And of course they have to make it a cliffhanger, which makes me wonder if, like last week's, it will just be a letdown again.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Fun personal fact:

I live very near the Dixie Cup factories,  original and current. The father of one of my best childhood friends was an employee. 

The original, in Easton/Wilson Borough,  PA,  was the landmark for the entrance to the then-only highway (Rte 22) from PA to NYC, 90 minutes away. 

IOW, Dixie Cup has the proximity to the show to be a sponsor. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_cup#Dixie_cups

(I also drive past the store of Marla Duran,  Season 2, and the (hidden) home of Laura Bennett, Season 3, frequently! The latter is now a competitive archer on the international level! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Bennett )

Laura Bennett is one of my favorite contestants. I’m so sorry to read that her husband died. I don’t think I had heard that before reading this link. Of course she is an accomplished archer. I don’t think she knows how to fail. Very driven and intelligent woman. 

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, Elizabette said:

Laura Bennett is one of my favorite contestants. I’m so sorry to read that her husband died. I don’t think I had heard that before reading this link. Of course she is an accomplished archer. I don’t think she knows how to fail. Very driven and intelligent woman. 

Add me to the Laura love train. One of my few favorites ever! Sorry to hear about her husband. I would like to try archery. Leave it to her to excel in it!

• Love 8

Most of the outfits were awful.  The patterns were mostly ugly so I can see how Claire was in the top because her design was wearable, although unoriginal.

I am not really a fan of the vast different body types on the models.  I have to admit I think I must be shallow as generally I am drawn to the looks on the standard size models as they fit better.  I know this was a real people challenge and I think Claire had the benefit of having a thin regular person.  Some of the other body types are harder to design for so they limit creativity.

The Navaho print was awful but I hate that kind of design with the triangles, etc.  I didn’t mind the all pink dress and jacket but everything else presented was kind of ugly and mostly stiff looking which is what we usually get with the pattern challenges as the pattern fabric is often stiff.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

So, just to be clear, Dixie is really excited about and, therefore, promoting the fact that they are now producing insulated cups with a lid?

Well, yes.  Cups which solve all of our previous morning-related, cup-related, mobility-related issues.  While increasing the total landfill burden.  Hooray!  

• Love 12
29 minutes ago, fountain said:

Most of the outfits were awful.  The patterns were mostly ugly so I can see how Claire was in the top because her design was wearable, although unoriginal.

I am not really a fan of the vast different body types on the models.  I have to admit I think I must be shallow as generally I am drawn to the looks on the standard size models as they fit better.  I know this was a real people challenge and I think Claire had the benefit of having a thin regular person.  Some of the other body types are harder to design for so they limit creativity.

The Navaho print was awful but I hate that kind of design with the triangles, etc.  I didn’t mind the all pink dress and jacket but everything else presented was kind of ugly and mostly stiff looking which is what we usually get with the pattern challenges as the pattern fabric is often stiff.

I agree with all of this.  We are not shallow for preferring the standard size model.   It is a personal preference that many share.  Not necessarily on this board but in general.  It is in no way a criticism of plus sized women.  

I want to see clothes that inspire me with my own wardrobe.  Runway fashion has given me ideas over the years.   Not to duplicate but to tweak what is available to me for a fresh spin on my jeans/shirt fashion.  lol

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

So, just to be clear, Dixie is really excited about and, therefore, promoting the fact that they are now producing insulated cups with a lid?

YES!  Can you believe it?  Now I don't have to pour fresh-brewed coffee into my pockets on my way out the door in the morning!  I can DRINK it instead of WEAR it!  YaYYY!

And honestly, they could have graphically re-created the pleated back part of Kentaro's dress and printed it as a colorful band around the damn cup.  Idiots. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 17
9 minutes ago, leighdear said:

And honestly, they could have graphically re-created the pleated back part of Kentaro's dress and printed it as a colorful band around the damn cup.  Idiots. 

Kentaro could be the winner, we don't know yet what will happen to Claire.  Personally I think she will quit.   Dixie can't use Claire's print anyway, it is exactly what they have now.     

• Love 6

I find it strange that the judges did not mention that Claire's print was already on the Dixie cup.  Surely they knew.   Let's say Claire stays.  What does Dixie do now? 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I find it strange that the judges did not mention that Claire's print was already on the Dixie cup.  Surely they knew.   Let's say Claire stays.  What does Dixie do now? 

I completely disagree.  This was Claire's print.  It's an abstract.  I think it would be hard to envision that become the Dixie cup in said episode. Even on her model, she did not use it so the stripes went completely around the leg.

DLa4wgvUEAAPbum.jpg

Screen-Shot-2017-10-06-at-10.26.03-AM.png

• Love 2

I just don't understand why if Margarita had immunity, she was left on the stage instead of dismissed with the "safe" designers. Has that ever happened before? The only explanation I can think of is that they were exploiting the situation for maximum impact; they wanted her down there to tell the judges about Claire.

I'll put this in a Spoiler, just in case:

Spoiler

I read a post on another site that said that MOST of the contestants had spoken to production staff about the possible cheating over a couple of weeks, and that the producers didn't say or do anything about it. Michael was the one who aired it on the runway, but apparently he was not the only one to express concern and distaste over how the whole thing was being handled. Apparently several of the designers knew the 'fix was in' to manufacture drama, and they were fully expecting Claire to win that challenge to let it all blow up in front of the judges. Take that with a grain of salt, because I didn't see any sources posted. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The twins HAVE heavily references their own and their model's clothing in past challenges MORE THAN ONCE, so this combined with the pant allegations (that Claire was patterning/measuring pants outside of work hours based on what she had in her closet) - I think it's perfectly reasonable to suspect that they are thwarting the rules. Now, I don't understand why these rules aren't clear to everyone. If they are, and the twins are blatantly violating them but producers haven't done anything - then I completely understand Michael's frustration. If the rules aren't clear, then that's also the producers fault for not just telling the contestants "it's fair, get over it". And I equally understand why designers would be confused and angry about the lack of clarification.

I mean, you put your life on hold and your reputation on the line to come on this show, a show that previously prided itself on its integrity and quality, but then you realize you're just fodder, and poor designers are undeservedly rewarded to maximize drama and boost ratings . I would be pissed too.

Edited by Sugar
  • Love 23

Before Tim told Claire to change her top because it looked similar to something he felt she did, I did agree with Margarita that it looked like her dress from last week. After Claire changed it, I felt that Margarita had no argument and should have let it go. If she had a problem with Claire, she should have said something to her face politely. Was Claire's outfit innovative or new? No. It didn't look fresh but it fit her client wonderfully and I can see how she won. It was the most on-the-go outfit. My personal winner was Kentaro though. As for Michael storming off, I can see that the designers are tired of the twins basically having no creative talent and copying things that they see from others and getting praised for it by the judges. But I don't think he should have stormed off like that. He should have dealt with it another way.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

A previous year's make your own print fashion.  I don't think they were given the proper instruction this season, or the time.  

On Lifetime they are running a 15 minute compilation of some of the textile designs from previous seasons including Mondo's HIV + print and Emilio's signature print.  They didn't get as much time to design the print during this season, but they did get help from a graphic artist/technician so some of the problems we saw, especially Batani's repeat issue, really shouldn't have happened.

The printing is always done onto a cotton fabric which surprises the designers, so I'm sure that's not well communicated.  I am not sure if they know how much they are going to get either.

I think Kentauro would have won if he hadn't put that giant jacket on her.  The dress with the pleated panel in the back was great.  She looked like she was drowning in the jacket.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, aamankwah said:

Before Tim told Claire to change her top because it looked similar to something he felt she did, I did agree with Margarita that it looked like her dress from last week. After Claire changed it, I felt that Margarita had no argument and should have let it go. If she had a problem with Claire, she should have said something to her face politely. Was Claire's outfit innovative or new? No. It didn't look fresh but it fit her client wonderfully and I can see how she won. It was the most on-the-go outfit. My personal winner was Kentaro though. As for Michael storming off, I can see that the designers are tired of the twins basically having no creative talent and copying things that they see from others and getting praised for it by the judges. But I don't think he should have stormed off like that. He should have dealt with it another way.

I also think that the other designers are tired of having SO MUCH focus on the untalented and unoriginal twins.  That whole first part where they got their "sew off" and then had their own personal audience with the judges just highlights how much time they take up and how they are catered to.  Those two are entitled attention-hungry vampires who suck all the oxygen out of the air, and the judges are just letting them roll that way.  I hope I wouldn't behave llike Margarita or Michael, but I certainly get how angry and frustrated they must feel.

• Love 13
30 minutes ago, Sugar said:

I'll put this in a Spoiler, just in case:

Reveal hidden contents

I read a post on another site that said that MOST of the contestants had spoken to production staff about the possible cheating over a couple of weeks, and that the producers didn't say or do anything about it. Michael was the one who aired it on the runway, but apparently he was not the only one to express concern and distaste over how the whole thing was being handled. Apparently several of the designers knew the 'fix was in' to manufacture drama, and they were fully expecting Claire to win that challenge to let it all blow up in front of the judges. Take that with a grain of salt, because I didn't see any sources posted. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The twins HAVE heavily references their own and their model's clothing in past challenges MORE THAN ONCE, so this combined with the pant allegations (that Claire was patterning/measuring pants outside of work hours based on what she had in her closet) - I think it's perfectly reasonable to suspect that they are thwarting the rules. Now, I don't understand why these rules aren't clear to everyone. If they are, and the twins are blatantly violating them but producers haven't done anything - then I completely understand Michael's frustration. If the rules aren't clear, then that's also the producers fault for not just telling the contestants "it's fair, get over it". And I equally understand why designers would be confused and angry about the lack of clarification.

I mean, you put your life on hold and your reputation on the line to come on this show, a show that previously prided itself on its integrity and quality, but then you realize you're just fodder, and poor designers are undeservedly rewarded to maximize drama and boost ratings . I would be pissed too.

I can see that spoiler to be true.   The fact that Dixie most likely does not want to produce another black and white cup tells me this was a set up.   And I think she will quit before the inevitable boot.  She realizes the other designers do not like her, and think she was cheating.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, Sugar said:

I just don't understand why if Margarita had immunity, she was left on the stage instead of dismissed with the "safe" designers. Has that ever happened before? The only explanation I can think of is that they were exploiting the situation for maximum impact; they wanted her down there to tell the judges about Claire.

Reveal hidden contents

I seem to recall that they have had the prior week's immunity winner out on the runway. They like to tell them that it was good that they had immunity, or they would have been eliminated.

• Love 6
Just now, AZChristian said:

I seem to recall that they have had the prior week's immunity winner out on the runway. They like to tell them that it was good that they had immunity, or they would have been eliminated.

Yes, they do this.  

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I miss what this show used to be.  

Man, Santino was a weirdo in the best possible way.  I had to go track down the Red Lobster portion and I was crying from laughing so hard.

• Love 18
8 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

They were having a private conversation, they can speak whatever language they please.  They don't owe it to Claire or anyone else to be understandable.   I find it disturbing that there's this idea that others can't speak in a language other than English unless they're saying only nice things about other (white) people.  

This has nothing to do with them speaking another language and you seem to be missing the point. They are speaking in another language with the express purpose of saying nasty things about someone else behind their back instead of just being an adult and speaking to them to their face. What Michael and Margarita did was rude and immature. They have spoken in Spanish to each other before and I never cared, it was this instant that made me and other people mad because it was simply rude and nasty. Also, I don't know what "idea" you speak of, I've never heard about that.

Edited by aamankwah
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, fountain said:

Some of the other body types are harder to design for so they limit creativity.

With respect, different sizes only limit creativity if the designer's creativity is, in itself, limited. I'll grant that it may be a different technical challenge but if a designer chooses to li mit themselves to only sample sizes and consider a size 12 a plus size--good luck in the real world of the schmatta trade.

The twins HAVE heavily references their own and their model's clothing in past challenges MORE THAN ONCE, so this combined with the pant allegations (that Claire was patterning/measuring pants outside of work hours based on what she had in her closet) - I think it's perfectly reasonable to suspect that they are thwarting the rules. Now, I don't understand why these rules aren't clear to everyone.

I have to assume that every contestant signs a pretty inclusive contract which would include--among other things-- the guidelines, expectations, living conditions and causes for dismissal. If that's true, then they've all theoretically read them before they signed on.

• Love 5