Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

Eh. I've been to Polish weddings where the guests pin money to the brides skirt. And bridal showers with these tacky as fuck money boquets.  

Yeah, but that's guests giving the couple money... traditionally poised to help them get off on the right foot financially.

Reverse the situation... the Polish bride and groom are announced by the DJ for the first time as man and wife, but before they can enter the room, two random people from the same town as their parents block the door, put their hands out and say, "that'll be $3.02."

Edited by Standard Staples
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

That's a tough one. Yes, he's a racist. No, I don't like him one bit! Yes, I think he loves his daughter. And, yes, he's right about her being an idiot. Luis is playing her. He's smiling and telling her what she wants to hear so he can live in the big house with the running water. (What these scammers never seem to prepare themselves for is the fact that they're usually going to have to knuckle down for about a year or so and put up with being "bored" and living "in the middle of nowhere" with strangers if they want to eventually become American Citizens. They always seem so surprised when they hook up with someone they don't love, leave everything behind to be with them, and find themselves lonely. Like, WTF were you thinking it would be like, Dude? Then again, I think I've met baskets with higher IQ's.)

Molly's got a treacherous spider for a mother, and a racist a$$hole for a dad. Dad despises Luis for two reasons. One because he knows the guy is using his daughter. And, two because he doesn't think "his kind" belong in Amuricah.

Well, Daughter Molly has expressed similar concerns as Father Molly.  Do you think she is also racist?  I don't see racism; I see concern for mother/daughter who is again making an impulsive, irresponsible and selfish decision.  Daughter Molly and Father Molly have been down this road with her before and will say anything to stop this train wreck.  I think their reaction would be the same regardless of race, although men from the DR have a skany panky reputation.  

Edited by Desert Rat
Typo
  • Love 6
37 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:
1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

on the other hand, the black guy who married the nurse in Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania (Devar?), nobody had issues with him.  So maybe it's not racist so much as Luis comes off as sleazy and opportunistic.  

In the words of Devar, "Most definitely." 

Melanie's sister did have a problem with him. However, the relationship between Melanie and Devar was much more based on mutual attraction and shared interest. There was give and take. She went back and forth to Jamaica several times before initiating the K1 process. I really believe that theirs was a genuine love match. Devar was so gentle and charming with her son, and she didn't start things off by giving him babysitting duty. She was much smarter about, well, everything!

Melanie did approach things better, or at least got a more charitable edit. However, her ex husband had primary custody, didn't he? If I'm not misremembering that, that does seem to be a pretty significant difference in situations.

1 hour ago, alegtostandon said:

You took the words right off of my fingers, Pityfree! Could her skirt or shorts she was wearing to meet everyone be any shorter.

Can't figure out why she flew into LAX, Sky Harbor is an International Airport. Maybe cheaper? It's about a 7 hr drive, probably a bit longer from Mesa...BTW, I live in the Phoenix area

I have NO idea what the one-way fares were from Manila to Los Angeles or Phoenix at the time she made her trip, but looking at the current rates, I found something interesting. One-way fares from Manila (MNL) to Los Angeles (LAX) in Coach are roughly 650.00, and one-way from MNL to Phoenix (PHX), about 750.00. However, I found a flight on Xiamen (?) Airlines for only 312.00!!! Granted, it's an AWFUL flight (26 hours of traveling, which includes a 12+ hour layover in China), but if that were available back when she flew, I'd be willing to bet that's the ticket that was purchased. HALF the price of other airlines? Yeah.

So that could explain why the pickup in LA.

BTW - I worked for American Airlines for 22 years, and part of that time was in the International Tariff (fares) department - so I kinda have experience in how international fares are constructed.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

Melanie did approach things better, or at least got a more charitable edit. However, her ex husband had primary custody, didn't he? If I'm not misremembering that, that does seem to be a pretty significant difference in situations.

Maybe, I don't remember about the custody.  I thought she had her little boy all the time, or quite a lot anyway.  

• Love 1

So much to say...  first, the eyebrows.  Luis and Azan have forehead scars that cut through their brows.  I didn't bother looking at brother fundie to explain his brow.

And I like Andrei.  I don't see any signs of the super controlling, demands traditional roles guy that Elizabeth described.  I see a working class guy who genuinely seems to love his girlfriend and not want to deal with stupid hypotheticals.  

I so badly want Azan to walk away.  "I love you and I haven't cheated since the last time I cheated so you should totally trust me.  And I know I've made zero of those lifestyle changes you asked of me, that I promised to do, but now I totally will."

I adore Kensley.  How has nobody mentioned her boss use of a visor as a hair accessory?  And she responded exactly right.  I have a Dad.  Shut up Luis.  You already went weird the first night when you told Kensley that you'll be sharing mommy's bed now, not her.

Evelyn needs to get over herself right now.  An online RSVP makes perfect sense for an international wedding with a very short timeline.  And she does need to at least consider David's input instead of immediately shutting him down.  

Aika freaks me out, but she does come across as an actual fully formed person, and not just an insane opportunist.  The Porsche thing came off as a joke to me.  And I'm in my 30s with no desire for roommates either.  

• Love 8
17 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

It was beyond inappropriate. It's psychological abuse. The child said repeatedly she already has a dad. Luis needs to leave the child alone. 

What I loved is how she was the only person besides Molly who was very welcoming but after that stupid comments, Kinsley was like, "asta la vista, motherfucker."

We know that David Poor has no job or prospects, the Moldovian is a bouncer. What do these other dudes do? And Nicole is sending money to Azan? I couldn't believe my ears and eyes. That is some crazy shit there.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, politichick said:

We know that David Poor has no job or prospects, the Moldovian is a bouncer. What do these other dudes do? And Nicole is sending money to Azan? I couldn't believe my ears and eyes. That is some crazy shit there.

Luis was a bartender in the DR

I don't think Azan has a job

Josh installs home theaters

Molly owns a store that sells bras for girls with big girls, lol

David Spain is a mystery. On the TLC website it says "Evelyn and David met when he came across the aspiring singer’s social media account, and soon the two began messaging back and forth. Evelyn met David in person and was immediately captivated with his sweet nature and strong Christian values.". No mention of a job. The whole thing is weird IMO

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Luis was a bartender in the DR

I don't think Azan has a job

Josh installs home theaters

Molly owns a store that sells bras for girls with big girls, lol

David Spain is a mystery. On the TLC website it says "Evelyn and David met when he came across the aspiring singer’s social media account, and soon the two began messaging back and forth. Evelyn met David in person and was immediately captivated with his sweet nature and strong Christian values.". No mention of a job. The whole thing is weird IMO

Azan was supposed to be a personal trainer, wasn't he? Did David Poor own his own business before....life got in the way? What was his business?

Does Evelyn work at all, besides the band? Is she in school?

Edited by balisticnikki
15 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

Azan was supposed to be a personal trainer, wasn't he? Did David Poor own his own business before....life got in the way? What was his business?

Does Evelyn work at all, besides the band? Is she in school?

The lack of job info in the show is completely infuriating! I just checked the TLC "bios" for everyone and they're basically elevator pitches for each couple's story arc, nothing about them as actual people. I feel like when this show started out, they did a better job explaining these things.

I feel like in their previous season, Nicole mentioned Azan as a fitness something. I'd have to rewatch. It could be a personal trainer*, or a fitness model. Judging off of his very scant social media presence, he appears to be a half-hearted thirst trap and nothing really beyond that. 

I'm so excited to see what they're teasing about Nicole wiring Azan money. Where is she getting a spare ~$1,500 from, isn't that supposedly about 10% of her annual income?? It could go a long way into explaining what Azan is even still around for, though. 

*Personal trainer in real life is obviously a legit and potentially lucrative career. In reality tv terms, it usually means "guy with abs who wants to make a living shilling detox tea on Instagram".

Edited by annewithaneee
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Agreed.  His "concern" for his 50-year-old daughter is utterly inappropriate.  She can certainly make her own decisions, as bad as they might be.  Its odd how racist he is, since at least her youngest daughter (the totally cool one) is of mixed race.  Some of these hillbilly buttholes never get over the fact that not everyone has white skin.  I hope he chokes on a Slim Jim.  

I hope the self-centered, my kids come first bitch chokes on Luis's Slim Jim. She needs to work all the time because some of her money is going to be headed to the DR soon.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Standard Staples said:

Yeah, but that's guests giving the couple money... traditionally poised to help them get off on the right foot financially.

Reverse the situation... the Polish bride and groom are announced by the DJ for the first time as man and wife, but before they can enter the room, two random people from the same town as their parents block the door, put their hands out and say, "that'll be $3.02."

I can't stop laughing

In all seriousness, it's tradition in a lot of cultures to gift the married couple with money.  Some ways of doing it just seem tacky (money tree, money dance, pinning money to a skirt, charging admission to the parents house LOL) And for the tiny amount of money it seemed harmless and fun. It's the fact that it was Bad Luck Schleprock that made it look uncomfortable and sleezy. 

I'm glad Annie told his friend she was not going to touch him. I personally would rather live with the water buffalo

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

Well, Daughter Molly has expressed similar concerns as Father Molly.  Do you think she is also racist?  I don't see racism; I see concern for mother/daughter who is again making an impulsive, irresponsible and selfish decision.  Daughter Molly and Father Molly have been down this road with her before and will say anything to stop this train wreck.  I think their reaction would be the same regardless of race, although men from the DR have a hanky spanky reputation.  

Yes, I do think some of Olivia's distaste for Molly's relationships could be race-related. But idk. My issue is specifically w/ Papa Philip who has been explicitly called a racist and has said xenophobic things.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, deedee2 said:

David and Annie are actually pretty normal and boring on their own. Living with the best friends will provide loads of conflict, no doubt.

I love how it started with, "our house is your house. What's ours is yours until you can get back on your feet", and quickly moved to, "well, maybe you can contribute by cooking Thai food and giving me massages by the pool", and then went to, "we don't want you to get too dependent on us and get too comfortable, because the goal is to move you out!" ?

Yup - as soon as he realized he wasn't getting that massage, the tone changed right away.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Mr. Minor said:

I hope the self-centered, my kids come first bitch chokes on Luis's Slim Jim. She needs to work all the time because some of her money is going to be headed to the DR soon.

She needs to work all the time because she's running her own business and supporting two kids - one who will need college tuition very soon.

But yeah, I guess she should choke on a dick or something because her fiancé might get a job someday and send money to his family in the DR.

Meanwhile, Molly's brother lives in her house.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Schadenfreulein said:

Yup - as soon as he realized he wasn't getting that massage, the tone changed right away.

I know this is far fetched but I hope they are not trying to get Annie to be their indentured servant and David Poor is powerless to stop it from happening since he don't have nickel to his name. I'm telling you something is off.  There is way too much money and favors changing hands for this to just be a "really good friendship."

Edited by Boofish
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

Yes, I do think some of Olivia's distaste for Molly's relationships could be race-related. But idk. My issue is specifically w/ Papa Philip who has been explicitly called a racist and has said xenophobic things.

I don't see cause to assume racism in people without evidence of it.  Olivia may be biracial herself, and her baby sister definitely is.  Can't a 17 year old girl just be disgusted by her flaky mother bringing a guy who is much closer to her age than to her Mom's and who her mother barely knows, into their home?   

Who called Father Molly a racist?  I think his EX-wife, made some sort of comment, but she has her own agenda and could have an axe to grind.  He did make some comment about people staying where they are, but he could have just meant creepy green card scammers, who are 16 years younger than their brides to be, as opposed to all foreigners.  At any rate, racist or not, he is absolutely right to be suspicious of Luis.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Schadenfreulein said:

I cannot believe a single one of them kept a straight face during that scene!

I was hoping David Poor would check his boy Chris but I wasn't terribly surprised that he didn't.

Edited by balisticnikki
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mr. Minor said:
5 hours ago, Sprockets said:

I hope the self-centered, my kids come first bitch chokes on Luis's Slim Jim. 

My Slim Jim was in regard to Big Daddy.  Unless. . . .is that slang for penis????. . . .Oh my, you will make me swoon, sir!  

Edited by Sprockets
typo
56 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Who called Father Molly a racist?  I think his EX-wife, made some sort of comment, but she has her own agenda and could have an axe to grind.  He did make some comment about people staying where they are, but he could have just meant creepy green card scammers, who are 16 years younger than their brides to be, as opposed to all foreigners.  At any rate, racist or not, he is absolutely right to be suspicious of Luis.  

Molly, her brother, and their mother all have called him that. 

For me personally, that storyline is cluttered with people who are varying degrees of in the wrong. Really only Kensley seems above reproach. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Granny58 said:

And Molly s a total sucker. I mean seriously. You go to the DR or many caribbean islands and the staff does exactly what Luis did, he yells across the room when he first sees Molly that he wants to marry her. Happens all day, every day. Yet she seems to think it was love at first sight for both them. Come on lady!

When we were in Jamaica - even when DH was with me- the staff always flirted and said sexual things. I think it is part of the game to make us old broads feel special and tip more or take them home with us. Men will do and say outrageous things to get layed.

Edited by booboopbedoo
spelling
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Because I have no life, I did a quick AirBnB search around Claremont. There are lots of big homes with 4 or 5 bedrooms that rent for 200-400 per night depending on the time of year  and sleep 10-15. In the summer it's on the cheaper end. So rent a house for 2 nights, that's less than $500. Did David come to the US with no money, nothing? Maybe he should spring for the house.  

That makes a lot of sense!  He is 26 years old....contribute to your own wedding...why should his Bridezilla's family pay for everything.  The thing with Evelyn is she is young enough to think she deserves to have it ALL....the perfect wedding HER way and the perfect man.  But can her family afford this big wedding?  And, she should spend her 90 days getting to know her fiancé to see if a wedding should even take place.  She is putting stress on everyone to have this perfect wedding in 90 days....that is just crazy.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Palomar said:

should spend her 90 days getting to know her fiancé to see if a wedding should even take place. 

She should have done that before she applied for the visa. That' what so stupid about this show the 90s isn't meant as a get to know your fiance it' because the government realizes that things can take a bit of time. I know a few people who have done k1s and they had weddings from big to small but none who took close to 90 days for the wedding to take place.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Palomar said:

He is 26 years old....contribute to your own wedding...why should his Bridezilla's family pay for everything.  The thing with Evelyn is she is young enough to think she deserves to have it ALL...the perfect wedding HER way and the perfect man.  But can her family afford this big wedding?  And, she should spend her 90 days getting to know her fiancé to see if a wedding should even take place.  She is putting stress on everyone to have this perfect wedding in 90 days...that is just crazy.

Maybe he is?  Or maybe he offered, and it was declined?  Which wouldn't surprise me - since it seems that Evelyn wants full control of the whole affair.  We really don't know obviously, we only get to see what TLC chooses to show us.

I mentioned upthread we had a family wedding this past summer (my husband's brother) and my inlaws offered to pay for half, and it was declined by the bride and her parents.  They obviously wanted full control of the whole thing.  And you know what?  Great.  But unfortunately in our case, they were extremely rude and inconsiderate.  They really seemed irritated that he had family.  I kept telling my husband - she should have indicated on her match.com profile "must be an orphan".  LOL

• Love 6

Mo is the only participant who seemed not to give a shit and left. I guess Yamir did, too, but IDK the details.

Because his wife was a lesbian.  And he.....wasn't. 

tm Ross Geller

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Quof said:

Yep, Chelsea's gone way over to the other team.   

I just did some dumpster diving.  Apparently at one point Chelsea said Yamir is gay.  I see this as a desperate move on her part to be more interesting than cold dog vomit.  Fail.  

Edited by Sprockets
out of body experience
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, greekmom said:

Luis and Kensley – I am going to give Luis the benefit of doubt and wonder if this was production driven conversation. If so, then shame on TLC for doing it and Molly and Luis for allowing it. If it was his idea then just shame on him and Molly.

I agree, GreekMom.   I think Luis is just an innocent guy who speaks English without understanding all nuances--one who (at last) found his ticket to North America.  Molly probably suggested (ordered?) that he stay home and take care of Kensley because he was her new daddy.   Molly is all-around stoopid.  Stoopid for thinking this "romance" can be permanent.  Stoopid for expecting Luis to be a babysitter within a day? of arriving.  Stoopid for leaving a small child alone with a stranger.  Calling CPS!  Calling CPS!

• Love 3
On 10/31/2017 at 6:42 PM, Ivanova said:

I think they can drive as long as they have a valid driving license which the US deems valid. In my case it was an international drivers license which I got in Russia (they can issue it to you if you have a Russian license without additional tests). When I came here, I went to the DMV and asked them if it's valid and they said yes.

I think it also depends on the insurance company. When I came to USA 20 years ago to be an au-pair I had to have drivers license. I got myself issued international drivers license that was supposed to be valid in USA. But when I came here my house father insurance required I pass American drivers license test. Not sure it was just a requirement of his insurance company or state law (I was in Maryland). Anyway I had to go pass the test again this time in English (which I could barely speak) and that wasn't even the worst part. I had to do parallel parking in 2 minutes to pass which I did not even though my written test was fine and I actually already had license from country where you go drive stick shift in major big town (Bratislava) for 20 minutes in real traffic instead drive around parking lot  on automatic and parallel park. So I had to come and parallel park again week later. I still suck at it as you have huge parking lots everywhere you go and I barely ever used it in 20 years here. So I guess it depends.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Granny58 said:

Maybe, I don't remember about the custody.  I thought she had her little boy all the time, or quite a lot anyway.  

I think they had shared custody.

I really can't see her leaving her boy with a stranger.  Her situation just seemed so different somehow.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
56 minutes ago, Kelly said:

Maybe he is?  Or maybe he offered, and it was declined?  Which wouldn't surprise me - since it seems that Evelyn wants full control of the whole affair.  We really don't know obviously, we only get to see what TLC chooses to show us.

I mentioned upthread we had a family wedding this past summer (my husband's brother) and my inlaws offered to pay for half, and it was declined by the bride and her parents.  They obviously wanted full control of the whole thing.  And you know what?  Great.  But unfortunately in our case, they were extremely rude and inconsiderate.  They really seemed irritated that he had family.  I kept telling my husband - she should have indicated on her match.com profile "must be an orphan".  LOL

Something tells me that we may have two David Poors. 

If David could have afforded to chip in for the wedding, then he would have paid for his friends tuxedos.

It's certainly more understandable in Young David's case.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, ava111 said:

I think it also depends on the insurance company.

Insurance does not enter into it.  What you describe sounds like a requirement of your employer.  It also sounds like a nightmare.  

7 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:
4 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I think they had shared custody.

I really can't see her leaving her boy with a stranger.  Her situation just seemed so different somehow.

This was bugging me, so I reverenced the ptv recap from the episode where we first met Melanie and Devar: http://previously.tv/90-day-fiance/a-bridge-too-devar/

Obviously, a recap isn't as solid as the source material, but it sounds like dad has/had primary custody, with Melanie having him on the weekends. It also sounds like at least originally, Melanie too wanted to make a stranger an instant "father figure" to her child. On the whole, they ended up being one of the more palatable couples this show has spawned...pretty low bar to clear, though. 

Still, at least in the edit Molly is coming across more poorly, it seems like. Then again I'm not sure how much I buy that Luis is providing much/any child care solo -- surely she had other arrangements before, and also doesn't her brother also live there, etc. It seemed contrived, and more likely that Kensley was at home during the day with Luis and other off-camera adults, and they wanted to film one on one time between the two of them, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

• Love 4

I was thinking about Luis complaining about being bored and how all of the foreign fiancees seem to think that the whole country is like NYC or LA based on movies they have seen.  I could buy this if it was 1990- but they all have the Internet.  Once they commit to their overseas love interest, wouldn't they look up their new town of residence to check it out?!  I've never been to France, but I would not expect the entire country to be like Paris.  That holds even more true for the USA because the country is so large.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

all of the foreign fiancees seem to think that the whole country is like NYC or LA based on movies they have seen. 

In my exeprience, people in even the most advanced countries believe a lot of stereotypes about the US.  To a certain extent it's understandable to want a place to exist where, if you go there, everything will be so much better in every way.  I get that, but life is pretty much life everywhere, and people are people.  America is in general more comfortable than most other places, if one has money and is healthy.  By all the standards used to measure quality of life, though, the US is merely one of the top contenders, and sometimes (infant mortality) not even that.  Still, the myth continues.  

26 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Our Sprockets is quite naughty like that.

You now that isn't a photo of me, right?  

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

I was thinking about Luis complaining about being bored and how all of the foreign fiancees seem to think that the whole country is like NYC or LA based on movies they have seen.  I could buy this if it was 1990- but they all have the Internet.  Once they commit to their overseas love interest, wouldn't they look up their new town of residence to check it out?!  I've never been to France, but I would not expect the entire country to be like Paris.  That holds even more true for the USA because the country is so large.

I remember Yamir (in a previous season) saying he had no idea where Illinois was...wondered if it was near Los Angeles or something. Smh....

• Love 1

Broke-Ass David (BAD, from Facebook I think) at the ceremony:

kramerpimp_490347.jpg

(Kramer on "Seinfeld")

I only watched the first hour and a quarter. I can't get into these couples.  I'm in withdrawal from the gold standard of loserdom. 

I found it strange that Molly's father is all "he's doing all this for a green card," yet his daughter is doing all this just for some d**k and ahead of what's best for his grandchildren. Kelsey is more adult than anyone else I've seen on these shows. 

I loved how the model Christian couple was openly coppng feels on the sofa, as the dude was being a little bitch to Makayla and the Stepford Child Wife just let him carry on. However, TBH, Makayla has yet to learn that a party like that is not the place to start in on green-card accusations. Doing it once was enough and probably a waste of breath. When people are in stupid love, they won't hear you, so just smile, sit back, and be ready to help clean up the mess when it happens. 

David has no plans or ambitions, and he's too B-O-R-I-N-G, certainly to attempt a reality-show career or advertise a business. I don't know why Mrs. Chris stayed quiet during the massage request, unless she is used to those comments or it was scripted.  I guess Chris has both these girls where he wants them. 

Edited by Tuneful
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Agreed.  His "concern" for his 50-year-old daughter is utterly inappropriate.  She can certainly make her own decisions, as bad as they might be.  I

I get the feeling Dad pays the bills so he is "concerned" financially.  His spread looked pretty nice.....I'm sure he made the downpayment on her home, is probably bailing her out of several missed mortgage payments, bought the truck that the daughter drives (Since Mol lost her license).  Daddy might be mightily biggoted, but I also assume he is sick and tired of picking up the financial pieces for his trainwreck daughter and I'm sure he sees some very big bills on the horizon with this sham relationship.  

• Love 1