Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

But David Spain isn't a cheater, an abuser, a thief, etc. So you and Mykalya had/have different concerns.

BaltiMORONS?? Seriously? lol

I agree. What about Evelyn from Season 1? (I think her name's Evelyn. She's from South America and married the nice looking White guy w/ the blue eyes.)

I don't she went into the details but said something like "we share custody."

Sorry, I should have clarified my point. I was similar to Makayla in that I was too invested in giving an opinion (repeatedly) that wasn't asked for or wanted. I've since learned not to waste my breath giving  advice. If the relationship isn't meant to be, it'll eventually end when one or both parties call it quits. Well meaning friends who are thinking with their head and not their heart generally don't make a difference. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Gigglepuff said:

There were none that I can remember. There were a few concerns expressed about Azan and how he picked up and hugged May in the thread for the season's premiere though. 

I had many concerns about thrice married, ugly,  awkward, dweeb Matt - but I never got around to worrying about him hurting Max since Alla wasn’t leaving Max alone all day with him.  Also I got the impression that Alla had spent a lot more time with Matt in person before coming to the US than Luis and Molly ever did.

• Love 5
Just now, PityFree said:

I had many concerns about thrice married, ugly,  awkward, dweeb Matt - but I never got around to worrying about him hurting Max since Alla wasn’t leaving Max alone all day with him.  Also I got the impression that Alla had spent a lot more time with Matt in person before coming to the US than Luis and Molly ever did.

Yeah, same here more or less. I briefly thought that if anything did happen, that Max, not speaking English and not having any connections (friends/teachers/confidants aside from his mother) in his new city, would be at a severe disadvantage, but since he was mostly with Alla, I didn't give it too much thought. I get the concerns people have expressed, but I do feel wrong about painting someone as a potential child abuser. I do think that there is a lot of emotional damage done to children by parents moving in a new significant other so soon though. I see what some kids go through emotionally when mom or dad constantly have a new s/o or introduce new partners too quickly.  Children get attached, then the relationship breaks up....rinse, repeat. That's hard on kids. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

My parents had an international and interracial relationship in the 1960s. They had to marry in Germany bc it was illegal in the US. My mother came here on an immigrant visa and later applied for a green card. Married 50 yrs until my father died.

No "step" in the subtitles.

I just watched the skype call again.  Luis said padrasto and the subtitles translated it as stepfather.

Funny that he was pressuring Kensley to call him padre, but he told his parents they wouldn't accept him as their stepfather.  It's like he knew his family would think he was nuts for trying to make her call him father so he didn't mention that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lynn said:

She is actually pretty when she is wearing pale or no lipstick.

I said a couple of weeks ago Elizabeth looks just like Bette Davis, here in the title role in "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane," when it is Vampire Matte lipstick time.

One more time, "Look at the goat!" because that's how they milk Broke Ass David. Or rather his creepy friend.

BAD's Grecian Formula 'do and crayoned-on eyebrows remind me of the dear departed at my great-uncle's wake.  

Creepy Friend changed his tune with a quickness on the terrace: "Our goal is to get you moved out." Classy. I kind of excuse his wife since she told  Creepy to "take him off the (tit)." Maybe she's planning her own escape at some point. 

I put Annie in her late 30s. 

The Fundie Fiances: They bite, and snipe, and pick, at each other and at others. It's the resurrection of an old radio show, "The Bickersons." David was exhausted from jet lag (which is worse coming from Europe to here than vice versa) and felt sick, and she's all, "I know that you think you know everything about NH since you've been here 24 hours..." and "So that's your easy out..."--over those invitations, which SHE chose and had printed and was responsible for (he had no access). That enfant terrible picked up her tricks somewhere, so I'm no fan of Purity Dave Grohl and Mrs. Chastity Grohl.  

Why do most of these millennials, even the foreign ones, have to say "like" every few words? My 24- and 26-year-old nieces do the same thing. It's grating. 

The way Aika was dressed and made up, she was ready to hit up anything with a d**k coming through LAX, "Hey sailor, want a date?" I was expecting a "Basic Instinct" moment every time she leaned in. Josh seems a bit shifty-eyed. Why is he not allowed to see his children, I'm assuming per court order? Violent temper? Alcoholic and/or drug addict? Molester? (shudder) I hope he is adjusting everyone's rent for moving his chick in. I remember when I had roommates it was very annoying when BFs or GFs were there all the time, never mind living there. 

I temped a few decades ago both in Boston and DC. It was honest work for honest pay. I couldn't afford my own apartment on it, but I could afford to share a place. Unfortunately people do not want you to move in with them because they think it is unreliable income. But I had more offers to work than I could take. Law firms paid the best, it was exacting work, and often I had to be willing to stay late. 

Edited by Tuneful
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

Curious what you mean? What things could he use against Evelyn later?

I just can't imagine how those two fell in love? He seems cold and humorless.

Just her demanding her way because she (kinda) holds all the cards at this point since he can't work yet, they're living with her family, etc. If they move away and he's the only one working, I could see him using that position to his advantage. Not in an abusive way, but a jerky way. Something about the way he went for the jugular on Mikayla makes me think he's a guy who keeps score and waits for his moment to pounce. I could be wrong of course.

I think he's older and worldly and decent looking. For an 18 year old, he might look like quite a catch.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Tuneful said:

Why do most of these millennials, even the foreign ones, have to say "like" every few words? My 24- and 26-year-old nieces do the same thing. It's grating. 

THIS for days!!!!!!!

It's because they don't know how to pause, take a breath, think about what they'd like to say and then speak. It's all filler because they don't have essential speaking skills because their faces are smashed against their devices/tablets all day, everyday, and don't have to talk to the person sitting next to them. Unless they're in my class! heehee!

Speaking of electronics, I understand Nicole is lazy, and it's what many normal and smart parents use to distract kids for travel, long car rides and other "non-kid friendly" events, but I cannot recall ever seeing May without her headphones/tablet unless she's calling Azan "Daddy" or sucking on her pacifier. Toddlers with technology as a babysitter is the generation that scares me the most. 

That and having to see Nicole turn SIDEWAYS in the backseat on the drive to Azan's aunt's house. 

• Love 5

I finally finished watching the new episode so haven't read any comments yet but wow about Poor David's friend. So he is pretty much using David's situation to get free domestic help. When he said she could volunteer I thought maybe  he meant some charity work but he wants her to cook for them? And then he will add cleaning and child care as he is expecting second child. It's one think if she offers to help but for him to ask for it is pretty shitty. I don't even have comment about the Thai massage. Poor David possibly sold out his fiancee for the money he is getting from his friend. He will pay for their housing and other stuff and she will pay it back by working for him. Just nasty!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, merylinkid said:

First of all, there is no requirement that you marry for love to get the green card.    Marriage fraud is that you are ONLY marrying to become a US citizen.   If you are marrying for stability, friendship or someone to help you raise your kid, that is fine.   

USCIS has no way of knowing if someone is marrying for love, stability, friendship or someone to help them raise their kids.  I highly doubt the “happy couple” would admit to USCIS that they didn’t marry for love, but rather for convenience. 

14 hours ago, merylinkid said:

A pre-nup is not a document that divides up stuff in the event of marriage.   It is also a document about how finances are going to work during the marriage.   How they plan to build their lives together.   

The content of a prenuptial agreement can vary widely, but commonly includes provisions for division of property and spousal support in the event of divorce or breakup of marriage.

9 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

I thought prenups w/ K1 spouses wouldn't hold up in court??

There’s no guarantee that a prenuptial agreement will actually hold up later down the line in state family court as this varies with each case depending on the facts involved.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lynn said:

A previous episode showed how she accomplished this look. Looking in the mirror, and with her screaming red lipstick rolled way out, she opened her mouth wide and circled her entire mouth in one swipe, without any shaping or nuance. It was the strangest lipstick application I have ever seen. She is actually pretty when she is wearing pale or no lipstick.

I looks like she has no "bow" to her upper lip, but maybe that's just the way she applies the lipstick. I think she's someone who actually looks better wearing glasses. Maybe because they hide her bug eyes. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, ava111 said:

I finally finished watching the new episode so haven't read any comments yet but wow about Poor David's friend. So he is pretty much using David's situation to get free domestic help. When he said she could volunteer I thought maybe  he meant some charity work but he wants her to cook for them? And then he will add cleaning and child care as he is expecting second child. It's one think if she offers to help but for him to ask for it is pretty shitty. I don't even have comment about the Thai massage. Poor David possibly sold out his fiancee for the money he is getting from his friend. He will pay for their housing and other stuff and she will pay it back by working for him. Just nasty!

That is so skeevy.  Since it’s supposed to be a housemate situation, asking Annie to make Thai food didn’t bother me because I’m sure they would all take turns cooking. The massage request was creepy and squicky and a bridge too far. 

What really frosted me was how sloppy Chris and Nikki looked for David Poor’s engagement party.  Even the poorest people in the village made an effort to look their best.  I get that Nikki is pregnant and may have been uncomfortable or felt sick. She’s Nigerian and would have looked stunning if she’d at least worn a gele. Those headdresses are striking and gorgeous. No excuse for her husband looking a slob.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Forum member said:

I was excited to find Evilyn shares DNA with Jabba Evilyn. Maybe the Where Are They Now show in 5 years will feature a vastly different Evilyn. 

Maybe that’s why Evelyn picks at her single egg and bird sips everything. For a split second, I thought Mama June gained all her weight and more back. It looks like her aunt might have some glandular disease. That poor lady could barely walk. I feel bad for her, because people can be cruel and judgy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

USCIS has no way of knowing if someone is marrying for love, stability, friendship or someone to help them raise their kids.  I highly doubt the “happy couple” would admit to USCIS that they didn’t marry for love, but rather for convenience. 

The content of a prenuptial agreement can vary widely, but commonly includes provisions for division of property and spousal support in the event of divorce or breakup of marriage.

There’s no guarantee that a prenuptial agreement will actually hold up later down the line in state family court as this varies with each case depending on the facts involved.

So what exactly IS marriage fraud, then?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

That was an annulment IIRC.

1 hour ago, spankydoll said:

I've been wondering about that since Renée Zelwigger divorced Kenny Chesney

I've been so curious about that too! Anyone in the legal field able to enlighten us?

Per People.com:

Four months after their beachside wedding, Renée Zellweger and country singer Kenny Chesney are having their marriage annulled.

Zellweger filed the papers Thursday in Los Angeles Superior Court, citing “fraud” as the reason for the split

Then, late Friday, Zellweger and Chesney released a third statement, saying that “the miscommunication of the objective of their marriage at the start is the only reason for this annulment. Renée and Kenny value and respect each other and are saddened that their different objectives prevent the success of this marriage.”

No word on what the couple’s “different objectives” were.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Bridget said:

This!!! Is it wrong that I wish there was a "baht-to-USD calculation" at the bottom of the screen each time there is a financial transaction so we can keep track of how much of the "dowry" is actually costing him Chris & his wife? I really hope their kids don't need braces one day.

If TLC doesn't come through for you, check out this real time U.S. dollar to Baht exchange rate site to see how much Parents of Annie (and Annie) are ripping BAD off.  Didn't he say that he was paying for the buffalo with the money he had planned for them to fly home?  Guess he'll hit up his pervy friend Chris for some more money so they can get home (and Chris can try to talk Annie into giving him massages by the pool as payback).  Ugh, just typing that sentence makes me feel icky.  Makes me feel bad for Annie (but not so much when I realize how much money she/her family have siphoned off BAD).  As discussed earlier, I'm wondering how he managed to get to Thailand in the first place.  He really has no business being there, how about getting a job before getting a wife??  I forgot, this is TLC, doing anything a mature adult would do doesn't make for a good "story" line or any sense.  

What's it about TLC and guys named "Chris"?  I used to like that name!  

Edited by zoemom
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, zoemom said:

If TLC doesn't come through for you, check out this real time U.S. dollar to Baht exchange rate site to see how much Parents of Annie (and Annie) are ripping BAD off.  Didn't he say that he was paying for the buffalo with the money he had planned for them to fly home?  Guess he'll hit up his pervy friend Chris for some more money so they can get home (and Chris can try to talk Annie into giving him massages by the pool as payback).  Ugh, just typing that sentence makes me feel icky.  Makes me feel bad for Annie (but not so much when I realize how much money she/her family have siphoned off BAD.   Like we've all discussed, I'm wondering how he managed to get to Thailand in the first place.  He really has no business being there, how about getting a job before getting a wife??  I forgot, this is TLC, doing anything a mature adult would do doesn't make for a good "story" line.  

What's it about TLC and guys named "Chris"?  I used to like that name!  

You're the best - thanks so much!!! 

I have so many questions about Poor David and have to thank you a second time for reminding me that TLC wants us crying out "whyyyyyyy?" about several of these sad sacks.

I seriously wonder how Chris thought David was going to "turn his life around/get his life back" in Thailand? Sending one's penniless, unemployed, homeless best friend to another country is the opposite of what a true best friend should do.

Did Chris also write David's first & last name inside all of his clothing?  Chris probably thought he was sending David to summer camp, not to a foreign country where David would be coming home with a unique souvenir of his time there: his real life, very own fiancee (when he cannot even support himself financially). It's so, so sad.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

thought prenups w/ K1 spouses wouldn't hold up in court??

A prenup as long as it did not exclude the spouse from paying any government assistance would most likely hold up. This you can't have a prenup stems from idiot Mark and he most likely just didn't want to pay for a lawyer.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, essexjan said:

<snip> As for Nicole - okay, I'm going to say it: she totally fucked the guy she went out with on the night she took off her ring. How do I know? From what she said to Azan. "Nothing else has happened since then!" Not "Nothing happened".  She's a hot mess of low self-esteem, lack of impulse control and selfishness.  If a man gives her attention, she'll take it to make herself feel good, but without any thought of how it might affect other people. <snip>

I may be in the minority here, but I have a sneaking suspicion Nicole totally made up the "cheating scandal". IMO, "cheating" is when you're in a monogamous relationship and engage in some sort of romantic/sexual activity with someone other than your partner.

Initially, Nicole said she took off her ring and went out with some girlfriends, and called that "cheating" (?). Then she said she went out with a male friend (or that a male friend was part of the group - I can't remember which). That, in itself, doesn't qualify as "cheating." Unless I missed something, at no point did she claim there was anything romantic/sexual that occurred.

What if this "male friend" was gay? Nicole could honestly say they were "just friends," but by omitting his sexual orientation in the retelling, Nicole could use him to make Azan jealous.

Deep down inside, I think Nicole knows Azan just isn't as into her as she is to him. What if she presented the evening with her friends to Azan in that way so that Azan would interpret it as "cheating" to make him think there are other men who find her "desirable," in the hope that would make her appear more desirable to HIM?

Unless something actually happened (and Nicole never said it did), then why bring it up at all, unless the goal was to try and make Azan jealous? As a bonus, Azan's "jealousy" would serve to confirm (in Nicole's mind) that Azan really does care...

I don't know. The whole situation just seems really fishy to me.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Unless something actually happened (and Nicole never said it did), then why bring it up at all, unless the goal was to try and make Azan jealous?

This is so believable.  Maybe when Nicole grows up and learns to communicate we'll find out what actually happened?  Until then, we get partial sentences and intense stares.  

7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I feel bad for her, because people can be cruel and judgy.

People like us.  

• Love 9
9 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

Run Azan, run.

It’s too late.  His family is all in.  Once he comes to the US, they’ll will send him money to open a business.  With that business they’ll be able to migrate the family over to the US.  He’s their Christopher Columbus and Nicole is the Nina, the Puta and the Santa Maria.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 15
15 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

This is so believable.  Maybe when Nicole grows up and learns to communicate we'll find out what actually happened?  Until then, we get partial sentences and intense stares.  

Nicole keeps "testing" Azan. I see this situation with the "cheating scandal" as just another one of her "tests" - one that she completely fabricated. For example, all the things she's said to try and make him ignore the rules of his religious beliefs and his culture. In her mind, I believe Nicole thinks if she can succeed in any of these attempts, that reinforces to her that he deeply cares about her. We all know that's ridiculous, but Nicole is operating at the emotional level of a 12-year old - and that's the way 12-year olds think. ("Skip math class and meet me behind the school and we'll make out." "I can't miss math class - we're having an important test today." "But if you really LOVE me, you will!").

• Love 9

Marriage fraud with the K-1 is that the person only was in it for the green card?   How do you prove it?   Well, coming here and never residing together.   Not consummating the wedding.   Having a spouse back home you conveniently forgot to mention.    Bigamy is also grounds for an annulment.

I cannot speak directly to the Chesney/Zellwegger mess but fraud in the marriage contract is if you lied to induce them to marry you.   Yes, finances can be grounds.    If you wanted to marry rich and he lied, you can get out.   Usually it's hiding an STD or Bigamy.     People come to me all the time wanting an annulment when they really just married the wrong person  (sometimes 2 or 3 years after the wedding).   Not grounds for an annulment -- have to do the divorce thing.   

Can we set up a separate thread for legal things like this so we don't take up episode threads?

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

We have to remember, a lot of what we see is producer driven, these people have put their lives out there, their insipid, special snowflake, life entitled, unrealistic expectation lives on display (tm Melissa Gorga).  It is our right to judge and if not our right, it is our human nature to judge.  Nicole has good people in her life but chooses to ignore common sense and good advice and on the other side of that coin, they enable her big time!

Besides all that, who does not feel better about their own life choices when they see these train wrecks?

I will continue to judge as long as they are willing to put it out there!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Baltimore Betty said:

1 hour ago, Sprockets said:

We have to remember, a lot of what we see is producer driven, these people have put their lives out there, their insipid, special snowflake, life entitled, unrealistic expectation lives on display (tm Melissa Gorga).  It is our right to judge and if not our right, it is our human nature to judge.  Nicole has good people in her life but chooses to ignore common sense and good advice and on the other side of that coin, they enable her big time!

Besides all that, who does not feel better about their own life choices when they see these train wrecks?

I didn't say that.  I was quoting another poster.  I do not feel bad about being cruel and judgy.  If I did, I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't be here.  Snark on.  

• Love 5
Just now, Sprockets said:

I didn't say that.  I was quoting another poster.  I do not feel bad about being cruel and judgy.  If I did, I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't be here.  Snark on.  

Snark is just another service we provide!!!

Seriously, I feel like a Rhodes Scholar after watching an episode, LOL!

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I wasn’t referring to Nicole, but to Evelyn’s morbidly obese auntie who looks like she’s got multiple health problems. She just showed up for a family gathering and TLC is cueing carnival music.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

It’s too late.  His family is all in.  Once he comes to the US, they’ll will send him money to open a business.  With that business they’ll be able to migrate the family over to the US.  He’s their Christopher Columbus and Nicole is the Nina, the Puta and the Santa Maria.

lol! I see what you did there @CofCinci!

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The original quote about feeling bad for her because can be cruel and judgy was from Arwen Evenstar and referred to Evelyn's aunt, who was very, heavy and could barely walk, and Arwen Evenstar speculated that she might have a glandular disease.  

While, I guess anyone who goes on a cheesy reality show opens themselves up to snark, IMHO, we should probably go a bit easier on  a relative who does a brief appearance at a welcome party, than we do on the main characters.  The aunt seemed like a nice lady and someone referred to her as "Jabba".  Personally, I prefer to save the hardcore snark for the jackass main characters.  

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

referred to Evelyn's aunt, who was very, heavy and could barely walk, and Arwen Evenstar speculated that she might have a glandular disease.  

And probably the sweetest person we'll ever see on this shitshow again. 

Still, everyone's entitled to their opinion. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Drogo said:

And probably the sweetest person we'll ever see on this shitshow again. 

Still, everyone's entitled to their opinion. 

I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion and to snark away.  I was just giving context to the "cruel and judgy" comment.  I

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Nicole keeps "testing" Azan. I see this situation with the "cheating scandal" as just another one of her "tests" - one that she completely fabricated. For example, all the things she's said to try and make him ignore the rules of his religious beliefs and his culture. In her mind, I believe Nicole thinks if she can succeed in any of these attempts, that reinforces to her that he deeply cares about her. We all know that's ridiculous, but Nicole is operating at the emotional level of a 12-year old - and that's the way 12-year olds think. ("Skip math class and meet me behind the school and we'll make out." "I can't miss math class - we're having an important test today." "But if you really LOVE me, you will!").

She does act like a teenager ALL. THE. TIME. The tantrums, the tears, the lame attempts to make Azan jealous, the "sexy kitten" persona she adopts, the way she looks soulfully at Azan and says "Hey. I love you" when he's annoyed with her. She is tiresome in the extreme and I am inclined to give Azan a medal for putting up with it, at this point. Will he ever know that his sacrifices have not been in vain, but provided a bunch of snarky strangers on the internet with fleeting amusement?

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

She does act like a teenager ALL. THE. TIME. The tantrums, the tears, the lame attempts to make Azan jealous, the "sexy kitten" persona she adopts, the way she looks soulfully at Azan and says "Hey. I love you" when he's annoyed with her. She is tiresome in the extreme and I am inclined to give Azan a medal for putting up with it, at this point. Will he ever know that his sacrifices have not been in vain, but provided a bunch of snarky strangers on the internet with fleeting amusement?

She seems to have stunted emotional development. She is only 23 in the first place and has a 2 year old child. Having a baby so young can stunt someone’s emotional growth. It’s like she’s stuck as that teenager she was before she got pregnant. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Will he ever know that his sacrifices have not been in vain, but provided a bunch of snarky strangers on the internet with fleeting amusement?

One can only hope.

• Love 4

None of these people really know each other, they are seeing through rose colored glasses or have their eye on a bigger prize down the road. As far as talking a communicating, I see a lot of couples "afraid" to talk about the real issues (money and how they each feel about saving/spending, equal distribution of work in and out of the home, children when to and are they having them and their ideas on raising them etc) They discuss everything but serious (buzzkill) issues that will eventually rear its ugly head. I am a romantic but love doesn't always conquer all.

These are some words of wisdom I got from Napoleon Hill in a book on business but it applies to people wanting a romantic relationship. But if people followed his advice I'm not sure if we'd have 90DF. We're starting to get glimpses of the people behind the mask but the true reveals are down the road.

To know others, not as they seem to be, but as they really are, study them through: 1-The posture of the body, and the way they walk. 2-The tone of the voice, its quality, pitch, volume. 3-The eyes, whether shifty or direct. 4-The use of words, their trend, nature and quality. Through these open windows you may literally "walk right into a man's soul" and take a look at the REAL MAN! Going a step further, if you would know men study them:

When angry

When in love

When money is involved

When eating (alone, and unobserved, as they believe)

When writing

When in trouble

When joyful and triumphant

When downcast and defeated

When facing catastrophe of a hazardous nature

When trying to make a "good impression" on others

When informed of another's misfortune

When informed of another's good fortune

When losing in any sort of a game of sport

When winning at sport

When alone, in a meditative mood.

Before you can know any man, as he really is, you must observe him in all the foregoing moods, and perhaps more, which is practically the equivalent of saying that you have no right to judge others at sight. Appearances count, there can be no doubt of that, but appearances are often deceiving.

This being said, I love this train wreck and watching these disasters unfold. 

• Love 7

I don't know - I guess I'm just a bitch, but I don't have any intention of hosting my future SIL's family when they come for the wedding. My house will be full of guests from our side of the family. That's enough extra stress for me and at least they are family. Sure we could line up people on air mattresses in the basement, but I don't know his family at all. I have a ton of things to do that week, something they don't have to worry about at all. They aren't helping with the hosting. I don't want or need the stress of playing 24/7 host to people I've never met on top of the stress of my daughter's wedding. 

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

These are some words of wisdom I got from Napoleon Hill in a book on business but it applies to people wanting a romantic relationship. But if people followed his advice I'm not sure if we'd have 90DF. We're starting to get glimpses of the people behind the mask but the true reveals are down the road.

To know others, not as they seem to be, but as they really are, study them through: 1-The posture of the body, and the way they walk. 2-The tone of the voice, its quality, pitch, volume. 3-The eyes, whether shifty or direct. 4-The use of words, their trend, nature and quality. Through these open windows you may literally "walk right into a man's soul" and take a look at the REAL MAN! Going a step further, if you would know men study them:

When angry

[snipped]

I'd add to that list:

When dealing with waiters and other service people

• Love 9
17 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

<snip>  Evelyn would be outed for the yarling mess she is (which would be a good thing for her because maybe Miss I AM The Band would actually have to learn a skill and some grace). 

Had to Google 'yarling'...I learn something new on these forums every day. LOL

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Ki-in said:

When angry

When in love

When money is involved

This, and how my husband acted when he drank, almost cost us our marriage.

People can become a whole different person when they drink. :/

Thank goodness he doesn't drink any more, and I've gotten used to his cheapness.

So, yes, learning this stuff ahead of marriage is important.

(And you'd better realize you're not going to change them after marriage, either.)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don't know - I guess I'm just a bitch, but I don't have any intention of hosting my future SIL's family when they come for the wedding. My house will be full of guests from our side of the family. That's enough extra stress for me and at least they are family. Sure we could line up people on air mattresses in the basement, but I don't know his family at all. I have a ton of things to do that week, something they don't have to worry about at all. They aren't helping with the hosting. I don't want or need the stress of playing 24/7 host to people I've never met on top of the stress of my daughter's wedding. 

I don't think you're a bitch if you don't want to host your future in- laws for the wedding. It's a stressful time as it is, and not everyone is suited to host strangers. I am an introvert by nature and hosting strangers would be a nightmare for me. I have friends that are a very gregarious and social couple and could see them doing this, however.

As insufferable as Evelyn is, I can't fault her or her family for that.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don't have any intention of hosting my future SIL's family when they come for the wedding.

It's good that you know what you can do.  I think wedding guests in general know they need to shell out for their accommodation.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

I don't think you're a bitch if you don't want to host your future in- laws for the wedding. It's a stressful time as it is, and not everyone is suited to host strangers. I am an introvert by nature and hosting strangers would be a nightmare for me. I have friends that are a very gregarious and social couple and could see them doing this, however.

As insufferable as Evelyn is, I can't fault her or her family for that.

Thanks - I'm an introvert too. I would be a complete mess if I had to host a bunch of people I don't know in a situation like the wedding. Add to that the fact that we aren't thrilled about the marriage in the first place and his parents are - it would be WAY too much LOL

• Love 3