Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, pollywood said:

I am watching the episode now. Azan and Nicole could work, if Nicole would just grow up and act like she's in an adult relationship. Azan and May melt my heart. I died when Luis and Molly's young one were together and she told Luis that he is not her father. From personal experience I can say trying to force a kid to accept having a new dad will backfire badly. I don't care about the Moldovan-Irish dude right now. Evelyn is a bitch and the Makayla-David interaction at the party felt really unnatural. I don't know why they're exploiting her being single like it's such a bad thing. I just got to the Thai massage scene. Fuck that's inappropriate. Why not just ask to wife swap? Now I'm on Molly at her family farm. I used to work in rural northwest GA and that accent pierces my eardrums. I still can't make out half of what people with that accent are saying. TLC should use subtitles on them rather than the foreigners speaking english clearly enough.

For the first few episodes, I thought Kensley's name was Kingsley due to the accent.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Horrified said:

the feeling Dad pays the bills so he is "concerned" financially.  His spread looked pretty nice.....I'm sure he made the downpayment on her home, is probably bailing her out of several missed mortgage payments, bought the truck that the daughter drives (Since Mol lost her license).  Daddy might be mightily biggoted, but I also assume he is sick and tired of picking up the financial pieces for his trainwreck daughter and I'm sure he sees some very big bills on the horizon with this sham relationship.  

There is no indication that he has any financial concern when it comes to Molly who has a business and her unemployed brother living with her.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Horrified said:

I get the feeling Dad pays the bills so he is "concerned" financially.  His spread looked pretty nice.....I'm sure he made the downpayment on her home, is probably bailing her out of several missed mortgage payments, bought the truck that the daughter drives (Since Mol lost her license).  Daddy might be mightily biggoted, but I also assume he is sick and tired of picking up the financial pieces for his trainwreck daughter and I'm sure he sees some very big bills on the horizon with this sham relationship.  

I haven't seen anything in the show to lead to these conclusions.  Molly seems to be wroking all the time, and she has made repeated remarks to the effect that she can support herself.  And even if Big Daddy Boss Hawg had chosen to help her financially, he is way off base being a buttinski in her personal life.  Also I just hate this guy.  

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Horrified said:

I get the feeling Dad pays the bills so he is "concerned" financially.  His spread looked pretty nice.....I'm sure he made the downpayment on her home, is probably bailing her out of several missed mortgage payments, bought the truck that the daughter drives (Since Mol lost her license).  Daddy might be mightily biggoted, but I also assume he is sick and tired of picking up the financial pieces for his trainwreck daughter and I'm sure he sees some very big bills on the horizon with this sham relationship.  

Molly has a very successful business and is kind of well known in her area. Even if he helped her out in the beginning, and we've seen nothing to suggest this, it appears that she's doing just fine now. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Palomar said:

That makes a lot of sense!  He is 26 years old....contribute to your own wedding...why should his Bridezilla's family pay for everything.  The thing with Evelyn is she is young enough to think she deserves to have it ALL....the perfect wedding HER way and the perfect man.  But can her family afford this big wedding?  And, she should spend her 90 days getting to know her fiancé to see if a wedding should even take place.  She is putting stress on everyone to have this perfect wedding in 90 days....that is just crazy.

If her family cannot afford to pay for the tuxedos or help with accommodations for international guests, then they are planning a wedding they cannot afford.  I realize that a lot of people plan weddings they can’t afford and expect the guests and bridal party to pay for it, but that’s wrong. Evil-lyn is planning a  wedding that her family cannot afford.

• Love 9

Why does Nicole squeeze her fat ass into the middle between May and Azan?! God, that drives me. May should be in the middle.

Molly is all kinds of stupid for leaving her child with some dude she doesn't know. I'm hoping at least the uncle was there.

Elizabeth doesn't need the make-up. She looks good without it as evidenced by her in the airport and the video she recorded in the terminal. She seems to have chemistry with Andrrrrei. Ge genuinely looks smitten with her, and they make an attractive couple.

Poor David. Gosh, he's such a sad sack. The dancing was beautiful. Why does everything seem like it's a money grab? I just don't remember that when Kyle and Noon were on here. I don't recall them showing him paying a dowry or anything like that. I know it's customary, but all the bahts being given to enter the home and to the parents and the water buffalos...geez.

Aika...well, that be.

Spanish David is a dick. I'm sorry but making someone cry is rude. He started the rude line of questioning by saying I heard you didn't like me or whatever. Dude, that wasn't the place. Mikayla doesn't need a friend like Evil-lyn.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, PityFree said:

If her family cannot afford to pay for the tuxedos or help with accommodations for international guests, then they are planning a wedding they cannot afford.  I realize that a lot of people plan weddings they can’t afford and expect the guests and bridal party to pay for it, but that’s wrong. Evil-lyn is planning a  wedding that her family cannot afford.

I don’t think refusing to pay for accommodations for the out of town guests is planning a wedding you can’t afford. The other option is not to invite out of town people at all. Do you expect to have your accommodations paid for if you are invited to a wedding where you have to travel? I certainly don’t. If I can’t afford to make the trip, I don’t go. 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, AussieBabe said:

...She seems to have chemistry with Andrrrrei. 

As much as one can have chemistry with someone with oppositional defiant disorder, etc., etc. She should keep him as a fling. Just because he's tall, resembles a Cro Magnon, and was the first guy to ring her chimes doesn't mean she should marry him. 

3girlsforus said: "I don’t think refusing to pay for accommodations for the out of town guests is planning a wedding you can’t afford." I lived in her area of NH for years. It's rural and the limited accommodations, heavily dependent on tourism from Boston, NYC, etc., aren't cheap especially at in-demand times like summer through October. The Partridge Family Redux is well networked in a Christian church community and bringing lots of exposure to that town. I don't think it would be a big deal just to inquire if anyone can offer a bed for 2 nights.  

Edited by Tuneful
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I haven’t seen the newest episode yet. Did David Spain say where in Virginia he plans to move? If he’s taking about Northern Virginia he’s delusional. 

Fun fact, David: It gets cold here too. 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I haven’t seen the newest episode yet. Did David Spain say where in Virginia he plans to move? If he’s taking about Northern Virginia he’s delusional. 

Right? If he can't pay for tuxes, he can't pay rent in NoVa. Or D.C. Or MoCo.

Im guessing if he wants to do International Development work, he wants to live in one of these places.

So my theory: he married a malleable teenager (ha!) knowing he wanted to get a greencard and ease his way into the D.C. job market. Spain has a high unemployment rate (or it did a couple years ago), and he knew he wasn't going to be part of a global network in New Hampshire.

• Love 3

Haha! Lots of fellow DC-ites, NVAers, and Baltimorons here, I see. I'm in MoCo.

Maybe David Es-paiiinnn could get Antonio over here--lots of es-payyyyce, and Cortney and Evelyn have a lot in common. 

Edited by Tuneful
Too late for me to make sense
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don’t think refusing to pay for accommodations for the out of town guests is planning a wedding you can’t afford. The other option is not to invite out of town people at all. Do you expect to have your accommodations paid for if you are invited to a wedding where you have to travel? I certainly don’t. If I can’t afford to make the trip, I don’t go. 

That’s exactly why I used the phrase “help with accommodations.”  I never said completely pay for the accommodations for out-of-state guests.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

If he’s taking about Northern Virginia he’s delusional. 

If he's talking about southern VA he's delusional as well.  Unless he's talking about the DC suburbs, he's delusional.  

20 minutes ago, Tuneful said:

Haha! Lots of fellow DC-ites, NVAers, and Baltimorons here, I see. I'm in MoCo.

No kidding.  I grew up in Kensington.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

If he's talking about southern VA he's delusional as well.  Unless he's talking about the DC suburbs, he's delusional.  

No kidding.  I grew up in Kensington.  

If David believes he can afford  anywhere in the DC area he is delusional. Of course at this point it doesn’t seem he came to the US with any money so even affording rural NH is delusional. I have a hard time seeing his being a prime candidate in the job market around here. Employers expect 28 year olds to have job experience. Of course that is going to be true in any metropolitan area - both larger and smaller. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 4

I'm going to defend Evelyn for a minute. Yeah, yeah, I know. I feel the same way about her as the rest of you. BUT...

David *could* pay for the tuxes himself. David *could* help his friends find better accommodations, such as coordinating an Air BnB for them (which, as someone else said upthread) is a better option. He doesn't have to ask Evilyn's permission. 

In addition...

As much as we make fun of her "music cah-reer", she DOES have one. Sort of. I mean, they apparently play gigs, sell records, and make music videos. She takes it seriously and was doing so before she went on the show. Whether we like her voice or not, it's something legit that they do. And David KNEW this when he met her. She belongs to a band that is based out of New Hampshire; it makes sense for her to stick around there. I mean, she's attractive, has that pop princess personality that's popular today, and has a voice that a lot of people seem to like (I don't like it, but others apparently do). She could very well "make it" in the Christian music world. Wonders never cease. We don't know WHAT David wants to do, however. It appears that he just wants to move to Virginia because "it's warmer" and he knows people there. Until he has a great paying job or really good opportunity, however, it makes total sense to stay where they a) have a support system and b) are close for Evelyn's band stuff. 

I don't like Evelyn.  I hate her personality and I am not a fan of her style of music. She DOES have a dream, however. She was chasing it when David contacted her on Instagram and she has as good a chance as anyone in that field of "making it." (Her chances of finding success in this niche are much higher than Paola's modeling cah-reer.) So until he has something better to add to the mix, I'm kind of in support of them hanging around NH. Maybe they could move to Boston or something as a compromise but if she's recording with her family and finding success in the Boston area, I kind of support her following through with that. 

God, I can't believe I just wrote that. Please don't take any of that as proof that I like her in any way, shape, or form. 

• Love 16

Re: Evelyn and Mikayla: 

I apologize if it's already been mentioned, but my wife and I are sitting here, clutching hands and wincing because Mikayla is emitting a vibration only lesbians can hear and SHE IS IN LOVE WITH EVELYN. It's breaking our hearts.

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

David never said where in Virginia just that he had friends who lived there and preferred the weather to up north. 

Yeah, but if he moves to Winchester, he might as well stay in New Hampshire. If he's bored in a small town, he likely wants to move to Northern Virginia.

3 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

Yeah, but if he moves to Winchester, he might as well stay in New Hampshire. If he's bored in a small town, he likely wants to move to Northern Virginia.

His reasons seemed to largely be friends and weather. It' possible his friends live in Richmond. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

If David believes he can afford  anywhere in the DC area he is delusional. Of course at this point it doesn’t seem he came to the US with any money so even affording rural NH is delusional. I have a hard time seeing his being a prime candidate in the job market around here. Employers expect 28 year olds to have job experience. Of course that is going to be true in any metropolitan area - both larger and smaller. 

That is so true.  I guess David and Evelyn are screwed.  Who saw that coming?  Everyone?  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

I don't know about every American doing this, but Evelyn sure as shit would do this. It's her day and all about her no matter what continent she is on. She is the center of the universe..  I certainly don't think asking to wear suits instead of tuxes is a huge, unreasonable demand. Also, asking for some Christian charity from your oh so religious fiancee for your friends and family does not seem like over reach. What would Jesus preach in the case? Given that there was no room for him at the inn, don't you think he would preach about sharing your resources to help your fellow human out a little. If David is supposed to just suck it up and have no friends and family at his wedding because he chose to marry an American, why can't Evelyn do the same because she chose to import a foreigner? What's good for the gander can also be good for the goose from time to time. 

I think taking your high ground advantage and using it to your benefit makes perfect sense in business. However, marriage is not a business. It is an equal partnership. Evelyn is smugly using her high ground advantage  to her total benefit at David's expense to get her way in EVERYTHING right now. But girlfriend is playing a very dangerous game because you rarely ever maintain the upper hand throughout an entire marriage. How will Evelyn feel when she is a stay at home mommie with three kids and David smugly tells her that he is footing the bill for her lifestyle, so she should more or less shut up and be grateful. What will our pretty, pretty princess do then? It doesn't feel so good when the shoe is on the other foot.

David is one cold, calculating motherfucker. His take down of Mikayla shows his true colors. He came to the US with a plan. He mentioned friends in Virginia and has not been in the US for more than 48 hours and is already talking about moving there.. He is giving in to Evelyn because he is savvy enough to recognize the power imbalance for now. But if you watch his face, he is making a mental note of all  her shit and just biding his time to strike back. And when he does, he will use all of Evelyn's bullshit arguments against her to press his advantage when the time is right. 

I am not sure if all fundie groups are the same, but don't they all more or less believe that the man is head of household and the wife must yield in all things to her husband? Evelyn better watch out because if David does not already know about that little detail, he is going to have a field day when he figures out he has that little trump card in his back pocket. That may be why Evelyn's face clouds over so quickly when talk of a move comes up, and why her parents seem a little passive about the possibility of their golden goose moving. They know that David will be Lord and Master, and Evelyn won't be able to do shit about if after she says "I do." It will be game over. It's enough to almost make me feel bad for her, but not really, because there is no reason to rush into a marriage with a  complete stranger. You reap what you sow. 

Really interesting perspective on David. He really showed his ass on this episode. His response to Mikayla is what I would expect from an 18 year old, but not a guy getting close to 30 who appears to be somewhat mature in other ways. It seems like he's taking his fiancee's friend's concerns way too personally, when we haven't heard her say anything really negative about him, per se, rather just general concerns about the relationship moving too fast, etc. There is a sharper edge to him than I initially thought. I could definitely see him filing away current slights to use as ammunition in later arguments.

Edited by Splithair
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Splithair said:

Really interesting perspective on David.

David has always seemed unemotional, withholding and resentful to me.  I detect not one speck of affection or connection between him and Evelyn.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

His reasons seemed to largely be friends and weather. It' possible his friends live in Richmond. 

Sure - they could also live in the Chesapeake/Virginia Beach/Norfolk area. I think it's unlikely they live in the more rural parts of VA. The DC area would be by far the most insane of choices financially but the reality is that none of them make sense. He has no job and no plans for one (that we have been told). In NH, they have financial support and housing.  He's pushing 30. I expect to hear career plans and goals from a mature man of his age, not 'I want to live near my friends in a warmer climate'.  I suspect he does't realize that it takes effort, experience, and planning to get a career going. 

And PS David - it gets cold and there is snow in VA too. Sure not as much as NH but it's not tropical. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

And PS David - it gets cold and there is snow in VA too. Sure not as much as NH but it's not tropical. 

He never suggested it was tropical just that it was better than NH, he not only has friends who live there but access to weather.com so I imagine he is aware that it isn't Miami.. He also said it was something after a year so perhaps he does have a plan and goal that doesn' involve rural NH.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I don't recall race being Beverly's issue....only green card.    If it doesn't come up, then we shouldn't assume.  

I believe it was a green card issue for Bev.  She told Dr. Phil she was afraid that after Devar got his green card, he would take off.  Right after Devar received the card, Mel called her and told her she was right and that Devar was gone. 

I've been watching this show from Season One.  The only people I believe weren't in it for the green card are Amy, Devar, Alexei and Noone. 

Someone upthread suggested that Molly should get a prenup.  However, the very existence of a marital agreement may back-fire on the marriage based immigration case.  INS is concerned with marriage fraud and will want extra proof that the couple married for love, and not to evade immigration law. That is why Mark from Season 3 insisted that Nikki sign a document relinquishing all rights to his assets in the event of a divorce.  When Whoopi Goldberg married a Dutch man, they couldn't get a prenup, because he was going to apply for a green card.  When they divorced, he got a house, a truck load of cash and half of everything she owned.  She was so angry, she went on Oprah and called him every name in the book.  If Molly decides to marry Luis, I hope she does what Mark did. 

Azan and his family believe he is going to America; someone should probably tell them he is going to Florida.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Evelyn and David are arguing about the hotel room situation and who should pay...I bet we can count on one hand minus a few fingers of who will actually would be even planning to attend their wedding...so the point is moot.  I suspect that someone in the Band Evelyn's church has a spare room for David's parents to stay.  

If Evelyn is staying up all night addressing envelopes makes me wonder how many people are they inviting to this quickie wedding?  To be fair anyone flying in for this backyard(?) shindig would need some advance notice to get good airfare rates, makes me think E does not realize David has a family or friends and really does not care what sort of relationship she will have with them in the future.  Family members hurt feelings over wedding things can last an entire marriage.  I stupidly asked the band at my first wedding to not play New York, New York, (I hate the sight of impromptu kick lines by drunken people) and my first husbands family were from the NY area, I never heard the end of it.

Band Evelyn...FANTASTIC

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I believe it was a green card issue for Bev.  She told Dr. Phil she was afraid that after Devar got his green card, he would take off.  Right after Devar received the card, Mel called her and told her she was right and that Devar was gone. 

I've been watching this show from Season One.  The only people I believe weren't in it for the green card are Amy, Devar, Alexei and Noone. 

Someone upthread suggested that Molly should get a prenup.  However, the very existence of a marital agreement may back-fire on the marriage based immigration case.  INS is concerned with marriage fraud and will want extra proof that the couple married for love, and not to evade immigration law. That is why Mark from Season 3 insisted that Nikki sign a document relinquishing all rights to his assets in the event of a divorce.  When Whoopi Goldberg married a Dutch man, they couldn't get a prenup, because he was going to apply for a green card.  When they divorced, he got a house, a truck load of cash and half of everything she owned.  She was so angry, she went on Oprah and called him every name in the book.  If Molly decides to marry Luis, I hope she does what Mark did. 

Azan and his family believe he is going to America; someone should probably tell them he is going to Florida.

I’m curious - from a lega perspective how does a prenup differ from the document Mark had Nikki sign?

10 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

This was a joke addressed on the show

• Love 6

David needs to come up with a plan for his new life in America. If his dream is not rural New Hampshire, it's time to get some marketable skills and go where the jobs are. He and Evelyn will need to walk the talk, and walk the path and go where opportunity takes them.

It's great if Michaela/Mikayla likes him, but she doesn't have to. She can respect her friend's romantic choice and that's it.

I met my brother in law 2 days before my sister married him. I have little interaction with him, he doesn't really speak to me, and hasn't taken much interest in getting to know me. Oh well. They are still happily married 17 years later.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I had a 45 year old friend who found the guy (or he found her) on social media that she had a summer fling while doing a study abroad in Italy when she was 20. next thing I know she is flying to Italy, comes back announcing they are in love and getting married. She proceeds to buy a wedding gown, pays shitloads of money to travel and pay something called a banns in Italy. Then he is going to emigrate to the US and she is going to sponsor him. He is on travel visas so he is going back and forth every few months so he doesn't overstay and she is footing the bill for everything. Me and all her friends and colleagues are like what do we do, what do we say. She's hard headed so we know that if we say something she will ignore it and if we say something to him it would only serve to estrange us. We id try to gently suggest that she didn't need to marry him because it wasn't like they were going to have kids, which she ignored because they were in LOVE.

Anyway, they get married, he comes over here, she applies to sponsor him. Within a few months of him moving into her house, he starts physically abusing her, then his application gets turned down anyway because  he had a criminal record (hi Andrei!) in Italy. He has to leave which ends the abuse, but then she had to pay a crapload of money to divorce his ass. 

Bottom line it really doesn't matter what other people say. These dopes will move forward. I truly think most the post international flight confrontations are producer driven to create drama. Gotta love TLC!

I was Makayla (sp) almost 30 years ago. My best friend was dating a guy who cheated frequently, abused her, isolated her from friends, took her money...he was the total package. I wore myself out trying to get her to see what everyone else saw. She admited to knowing he was a cheater, and obviously that he was abusing her. But her reason for not leaving was that she still loved him, barf. These friends need to realize their advice will fall on deaf ears, and focus on something they can actually change. 

• Love 12

Circling back to Children Molly.  What are the chances that Molly is SO wrapped up in Luis' arrival and presence that, sure, she's leaving Kensley home with her brand-new-straight-off-the-lot Dominican StepDad-to-be... but also A TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE CAMERA CREW who will MOST CERTAINLY have her (family's) best interests at heart?  Do we think she's that careless and/or senseless?  

I caught myself channel surfing (always) during Broke Ass David's scenes, but good lord what a sad sack of SAD that dude is.  Listening to him talk about money and how much Family Annie wants, he has almost that nervous voice shake and I half expect him to either pass out or see when the camera pans out - there's a gun to his head.  

Dudebro & Aika.. I kind of like her.  Putting aside her tiny clothes and weird choice of eye makeup/lenses... I like that she's very upfront about what she's there for.  She has zero fucks to give and doesn't want to waste time on the foreplay part of the relationship.  She's ready to go now and start living the American Dream. Dudebro's friend who was given the role of this couple's Asshole Friend didn't seem to rattle her.  Others have likened her to Anfisa and I'm right there with that. I am NOT down with the previews for them on next week's epi. Look, Dudebro, she's not a prop, she's not your new toy, she's an actual human being. 

Whatever, i hate all of these people.  LOL

• Love 13
10 hours ago, cheewhiz said:

But Mikayla didn't start this conversation David did.  Out of the blue he said something like "So you don't approve of me" (something along those lines) But she did not start that whole awkward conversation, David did (to make her the bad guy I'm sure)  I want him to lay off Mikaya and save his verbal slapdown for Miss Evelyn...more of that please!

TLC started the conversation. They brought her in and told all of them to talk about it. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I caught myself channel surfing (always) during Broke Ass David's scenes, but good lord what a sad sack of SAD that dude is.  Listening to him talk about money and how much Family Annie wants, he has almost that nervous voice shake and I half expect him to either pass out or see when the camera pans out - there's a gun to his head.  

Agree.  He makes me so uncomfortable because he is gullible and really overanalyzing "what it all means" for him.  The smallest gesture gets magnified in his mind as some grandiose gesture of love.  He's constantly moved to tears.  Give it a rest guy.   She is just a pro upselling him at every turn....at the strip club she makes the guy who pays for a song, pay for a dance, pay to dance close, pay for a private dance in the back room, pay for a touching dance in the back room, pay for the dance with no pants in the back room....etc. etc 

The list goes on.  At every turn we see her asking for more more more in that whiny forlorn beggar voice of hers...11 magical gold, bahts and bahts and more bahts....she's a PRO.  I didn't think anyone could make Larry look like a financial powerhouse but he has a management job at McDonalds and lives alone!  Sadsack Larry and his dumb white hat!!! (see Before the 90 day cray)

How is he supposed to get a visa for her anyway since he can't even support his broke ass self with more than giant red scrubs and white clown shoes?   He'd be better off just living in Thailand and being revered by a certain strata of the population that thinks he's amazing for being a large American.   He can grift to exist or find a nice little job in a remote village that pays well and has a 401K Buffalo program.  Good things.

• Love 15
27 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Agree.  He makes me so uncomfortable because he is gullible and really overanalyzing "what it all means" for him.  The smallest gesture gets magnified in his mind as some grandiose gesture of love.  He's constantly moved to tears.  Give it a rest guy.   She is just a pro upselling him at every turn....at the strip club she makes the guy who pays for a song, pay for a dance, pay to dance close, pay for a private dance in the back room, pay for a touching dance in the back room, pay for the dance with no pants in the back room....etc. etc 

The list goes on.  At every turn we see her asking for more more more in that whiny forlorn beggar voice of hers...11 magical gold, bahts and bahts and more bahts....she's a PRO.  I didn't think anyone could make Larry look like a financial powerhouse but he has a management job at McDonalds and lives alone!  Sadsack Larry and his dumb white hat!!! (see Before the 90 day cray)

How is he supposed to get a visa for her anyway since he can't even support his broke ass self with more than giant red scrubs and white clown shoes?   He'd be better off just living in Thailand and being revered by a certain strata of the population that thinks he's amazing for being a large American.   He can grift to exist or find a nice little job in a remote village that pays well and has a 401K Buffalo program.  Good things.

Yea...as much as I want to be happy that an American is fully embracing another culture, this just feels forced. I have no idea if this is a real relationship or not, but I do know I'm tired of hearing the word baht. And it would make no difference if the word were dollar, peso, ruble, yen, whatever. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Adeejay said:

And Kirilyn (sp?).  The girl from Brazil who married Alan. I never thought she was in it for the green card.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Splithair said:

Yea...as much as I want to be happy that an American is fully embracing another culture, this just feels forced. I have no idea if this is a real relationship or not, but I do know I'm tired of hearing the word baht. And it would make no difference if the word were dollar, peso, ruble, yen, whatever. 

This!!! Is it wrong that I wish there was a "baht-to-USD calculation" at the bottom of the screen each time there is a financial transaction so we can keep track of how much of the "dowry" is actually costing him Chris & his wife? I really hope their kids don't need braces one day.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, brillia79 said:

Right? If he can't pay for tuxes, he can't pay rent in NoVa. Or D.C. Or MoCo.

Im guessing if he wants to do International Development work, he wants to live in one of these places.

So my theory: he married a malleable teenager (ha!) knowing he wanted to get a greencard and ease his way into the D.C. job market. Spain has a high unemployment rate (or it did a couple years ago), and he knew he wasn't going to be part of a global network in New Hampshire.

After watching him be a total arse to FriendEvelyn, I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but DavidSpain's bilingual skills would possibly afford him twice as many job options than someone who doesn't speak a second language. That has to carry some weight when it comes to making financially sound decisions (ie: not cashing in his 401k), such as leaving NH to earn money &  move to an area where he can use his skill set. 

If they moved to Boston (loads of Portuguese speakers, I know, but there are Spanish speakers too), at least Evelyn would finally have to start adulting like the rest of the world, like start driving on the MassPike on her way to "gigs." So much music in Boston that she'd be able to sing breathe heavily into/out of a microphone and recite song lyrics.

If David really wants warm weather, maybe Mr. Jinger Duggar can find him some work in south Texas - which would really piss off Evelyn...and therefore makes me hope it comes to fruition.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

Why does Nicole squeeze her fat ass into the middle between May and Azan?! God, that drives me. May should be in the middle.

I think Nicole is a little jealous of her daughter, which is disturbing.

• Love 15

What is interesting is David and Evelyn's arguing style. Evelyn is very inflexible "My way or the hhighway" and David, who is nearly 10 years her senior, never puts his foot down, says "Im the man and I will make this decision." Instead he passively aggressively complains to her but never really seems to get his way. I am surprised that an 18 year old has so much say in everything, even coldly saying that it is rude for his friends and family not to come to the wedding because they dont want to pay for accomodations. She has a LOT of growing up to do, and this MeMeMeAllAboutMe attitude will not be able to survive long. She displays a lot of entitlement and it continually shocks me watching David just mutter about his frustrations. I think that he also has some growing up to do as well. The way he handled McKayla was not the style of a grown man, he should have just nodded his head and told her she was entitled to her opinion, but instead he made little blows at her. By the way, how will this couple support themselves ? What is David's industry ? This band seems to be more of a performing hobby and I cant imagine that in Claremont, NH they are getting so many paid gigs. 

1 hour ago, Bridget said:

After watching him be a total arse to FriendEvelyn, I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but DavidSpain's bilingual skills would possibly afford him twice as many job options than someone who doesn't speak a second language. That has to carry some weight when it comes to making financially sound decisions (ie: not cashing in his 401k), such as leaving NH to earn money &  move to an area where he can use his skill set. 

If they moved to Boston (loads of Portuguese speakers, I know, but there are Spanish speakers too), at least Evelyn would finally have to start adulting like the rest of the world, like start driving on the MassPike on her way to "gigs." So much music in Boston that she'd be able to sing breathe heavily into/out of a microphone and recite song lyrics.

If David really wants warm weather, maybe Mr. Jinger Duggar can find him some work in south Texas - which would really piss off Evelyn...and therefore makes me hope it comes to fruition.

I dont know...... there are probably millions of bilingual Spanish speakers in America, I dont think him speaking English and Spanish perfectly can get him any payable jobs just from that skill. 

• Love 5

I'm watching this episode in bits and pieces, and just watched Evelyn and David's party with Mikayla.  Boy, David was a jerk and Evelyn threw her friend under the bus.  What Mikayla said was very reasonable, and she has the perfect right to not automatically love somebody until she gets to know them.  So...David says "I just want Mikayla to give me a chance."  Um, yeah...that's exactly what she's doing.  Giving you a chance to prove you're a good match for her friend and a nice person.   So, David, wish granted.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Splithair said:

Really interesting perspective on David. He really showed his ass on this episode. His response to Mikayla is what I would expect from an 18 year old, but not a guy getting close to 30 who appears to be somewhat mature in other ways. It seems like he's taking his fiancee's friend's concerns way too personally, when we haven't heard her say anything really negative about him, per se, rather just general concerns about the relationship moving too fast, etc. There is a sharper edge to him than I initially thought. I could definitely see him filing away current slights to use as ammunition in later arguments.

Mikayla could have shut David down quite nicelyif she'd only had the presence of mind to say:

"No, I'm not currently involved in a relationship. But I have had plenty of opportunities in my life to thoughtfully observe many successful relationships and those that have failed, and have been able to identify contributing factors to both. Don't you think it's better to think about some of these things before you commit to someone, instead of being led by your hormones into a relationship that may not be right for you long term?"

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Tuneful said:

I loved how the model Christian couple was openly coppng feels on the sofa, as the dude was being a little bitch to Makayla and the Stepford Child Wife just let him carry on. 

If you think for one minute those two haven't played "hide the weenie" by now you need another drink.

9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I don't like Evelyn.

I don't either.  Aside from being a controlling, whining, manipulating little girl with a grating personality and 62 teeth, she has the same name as my ex-wife and I really don't like her.  LOL

9 hours ago, Splithair said:

David is one cold, calculating motherfucker.

He sure is.  Dude takes no prisoners.  Teefus better give him a good look before saying I do

• Love 8