Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Finally watched the episode:

Run, Azan, run!  Don't be half of "Azole" for the rest of your life.  It is a shame because he is good with May and I like his family a lot.  But, the cheating and lying,  on top of all of Nicole's other crap, is way too much.

Luis pushing the "new Daddy" crap on Kensley was gross.  It was a shame because they were hitting it off with the Spanish lesson.  

It is so inappropriate to try to make her call him Daddy, and he knows what a step father is as he used the word in his Skype with his family.

In NYS, the boilerplate custody agreement forbids parents from encouraging or allowing the children to call any new partner "Mommy or Daddy" or any other such parental name.

He should have just been Uncle Louise.

I saw nothing objectionable about Father Molly's behavior in this episode. He was trying to be nice, but was also being honest and sensible.

I was starting to like Elizabeth and Andrrrrei.  She looks much better with glasses and without lipstick.  

Then Andrrrei got the attitude about not wanting to kiss up to the immigration inspector and beg for a visa.

I loved Elizabeth shifting her strange mouth (with the bright lipstick back) to the side when Andrrrei made the comment about it not mattering where they live.

David Spain was obnoxious with Mikayla.  I also don't like that he has decided against staying in NH after one day.  At least give it a little time.

The Thai massage request was disgusting, but I suspect it was staged for the cameras.  Annie looks at lot better in the THs with her hair dark than in the terrace scene with her blonde hair.  There is no way she is 24.  Early 30s at least 

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Run, Azan, run!  

Nicole definitely won't run after you; it requires too much energy

7 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I saw nothing objectionable about Father Molly's behavior in this episode. He was trying to be nice, but was also being honest and sensible.

True, although his daughter is old enough to make her own decisions, she's still his daughter and she did seek his opinion/approval.  He can't tell Molly what to do but she appears to have daddy issues and needs his blessing, for whatever reason.   Obviously, she has dated outside his "norm" before but he seems to be loving toward his granddaughter, at least.   But as far as young boy toy Luis is concerned, he's not having it.

10 hours ago, Sprockets said:

If he's talking about southern VA he's delusional as well.  Unless he's talking about the DC suburbs, he's delusional.  

No kidding.  I grew up in Kensington.  

Laurel, MD in the house.  Also lived in Springfield and Falls Church, VA

Edited by tincansailor981
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Someone upthread suggested that Molly should get a prenup.  However, the very existence of a marital agreement may back-fire on the marriage based immigration case.  INS is concerned with marriage fraud and will want extra proof that the couple married for love, and not to evade immigration law. 

I don't think so.    First of all, there is no requirement that you marry for love to get the green card.    Marriage fraud is that you are ONLY marrying to become a US citizen.   If you are marrying for stability, friendship or someone to help you raise your kid, that is fine.   Also, applicants for the green card do not need to promise they will never ever get divorced.   The only requirement is that AT THE TIME OF THE MARRIAGE, you are not marrying for illegal, fraudulent or immoral reasons.    People have gotten divorced while their green card application still had the 2 year marriage restriction pending and still got the restriction removed because it was a legitmate marriage at the time of the marriage.

A pre-nup is not a document that divides up stuff in the event of marriage.   It is also a document about how finances are going to work during the marriage.   How they plan to build their lives together.    It's part of an overall conversation that these people do not seem to have had and have desperately had it.

@happydance said  "has a 401K Buffalo program"   I totally want this 401K.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

A pre-nup is not a document that divides up stuff in the event of marriage.   It is also a document about how finances are going to work during the marriage.   How they plan to build their lives together.    It's part of an overall conversation that these people do not seem to have had and have desperately had it.

Well said!  It's possible the couples have had these conversations off camera, but there is no evidence for it, and in many cases it sure looks like they skipped a few essential talks.  A prenup would require that they address these issues, and it would be irrelevant in regard to the visa process.  

There is so much "will we get the visa/won't we get the visa?" on this show, but so little "do we have shared goals and values, and are we ready to commit?"  The wedding ceremony lasts a few hours.  Married life usually lasts longer.  It often feels like a lot longer. . . . .

Edited by Sprockets
forgot apostrophe
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, deedee2 said:

Is Annie trying to pass herself off as 24?  Yeah ... no. She looks close in age to Aika, who is 36.

No shit? I must have missed the 24 part. I assumed that she was easily pushing 40.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Matias130 said:

This band seems to be more of a performing hobby and I cant imagine that in Claremont, NH they are getting so many paid gigs. 

You inquired about Band Evelyn and asked what kinds of "gigs" they get in rural New Hampshire. So I looked...

According to her website, there are no past or upcoming shows. Now, she might be playing church and religious functions that just aren't on her schedule. Who knows. She DOES have a fairly large social media presence, including a popular You Tube channel. You can buy her music on all the regular outlets (CD Baby, Amazon, Spotify, etc.). Because her You Tube videos have respectable views, she is also getting ad money from them (we have a YT channel and I can tell by the way that hers looks that it's set up for monetization). 

So, it seems to me, that Band Evelyn is an internet-based group. Now, the musician in me hates crap like that. I am still old school and think that you should be lugging your shit through filthy bars and sleeping in the back of schoolbuses on 100-mile journeys every night to pay your dues. The modern side of me knows that the music world doesn't work that way anymore (or doesn't have to). In a way, that's a good thing. You no longer have to live in Austin/New York/Nashville/LA to "make it" in the music world. Download Audacity, record some tracks, upload them to iTunes and Amazon, and you can develop a following. The cynical side of me thinks that's bullshit, the creative side of me thinks that's kind of awesome. It opens up tons of possibilities for GOOD musicians who can't afford to make the move, or who are disabled, or who have responsibilities like young children and can't be out every night singing in late-night rowdy bars (the kinds of places with live music that I like). So, eh, I don't know. It's a different world today from when I was in my 20s, living in Nashville and working in the late-90s country music industry. Things change. 

So I take a little back from what I said upthread. If she's purely internet based then Girlfriend can live anywhere in the world. The family can lay down tracks and send her files and she can lay down her voice and they'll still have their music. 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Is there some sort of statistics study or profile of the typical man/woman that look for spouses abroad? We have yet to see an Asian person, (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc..) meeting brides or grooms on line.  

That's a very good question. I would personally like to see someone in a situation like ours (my husband and I) because I think our "international relationship" is pretty common. We met abroad during school. Lived in the same residence hall while we were getting our MAs. Eventually moved in together and dated for several years, until we graduated. Our families vacationed together, I lived with his parents one summer, etc. We started the visa process when I got pregnant. The only reason we started it then was because my student visa was going to expire and I wouldn't have been able to stay in the UK to give birth; I had to return to the US. We had to make the decision as to whether we would get me a fiancee visa to stay in England or if he would get one to come to the US. In the end, I wanted to be near my family and he didn't care where he lived as long as he was with me and our child. We met lots of people throughout the process that had similar stories-they met while one of them was living abroad and had been engaged in long, "normal", relationships before starting the process. I have quite a few friends who met international students who were studying here in the US and they wound up marrying. I would be curious to see the statistics between international couples who met online and those who met during long-term stays abroad. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Dudebro & Aika.. I kind of like her.  Putting aside her tiny clothes and weird choice of eye makeup/lenses... I like that she's very upfront about what she's there for.  She has zero fucks to give and doesn't want to waste time on the foreplay part of the relationship.  She's ready to go now and start living the American Dream. Dudebro's friend who was given the role of this couple's Asshole Friend didn't seem to rattle her.  Others have likened her to Anfisa and I'm right there with that. I am NOT down with the previews for them on next week's epi. Look, Dudebro, she's not a prop, she's not your new toy, she's an actual human being. 

I kind of like her too.  She seems to have a decent personality.  She needs less trashy clothes and is too done up but I think she is kind of pretty under all that - if she had more normal makeup and lost the crazy contacts I think she'd look fine.  And I like that she isn't claiming to be 24 like every other random woman on this show. 

She may just want money (unclear why she believes that guy has any, but whatever...), but she's not as miserable and nasty about everything like Anfisa.  Seems like you could actually have a fun time hanging out with her.  From what we've seen anyway.  And she didn't throw an insane pouting/shouting temper tantrum about the roommate-house like Anfisa probably undoubtedly would have. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Circling back to Children Molly.  What are the chances that Molly is SO wrapped up in Luis' arrival and presence that, sure, she's leaving Kensley home with her brand-new-straight-off-the-lot Dominican StepDad-to-be... but also A TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE CAMERA CREW who will MOST CERTAINLY have her (family's) best interests at heart?  Do we think she's that careless and/or senseless?  

I caught myself channel surfing (always) during Broke Ass David's scenes, but good lord what a sad sack of SAD that dude is.  Listening to him talk about money and how much Family Annie wants, he has almost that nervous voice shake and I half expect him to either pass out or see when the camera pans out - there's a gun to his head.  

Dudebro & Aika.. I kind of like her.  Putting aside her tiny clothes and weird choice of eye makeup/lenses... I like that she's very upfront about what she's there for.  She has zero fucks to give and doesn't want to waste time on the foreplay part of the relationship.  She's ready to go now and start living the American Dream. Dudebro's friend who was given the role of this couple's Asshole Friend didn't seem to rattle her.  Others have likened her to Anfisa and I'm right there with that. I am NOT down with the previews for them on next week's epi. Look, Dudebro, she's not a prop, she's not your new toy, she's an actual human being. 

Whatever, i hate all of these people.  LOL

I tend to agree about Aika.  If Josh can provide her with a reasonably comfortable lifestyle, she might be fine.   I was also impressed by the fact that she says she is 36 and not "24" like Annie.  She has a good sense of humor.  She made a remark about Josh treating her as well as he treats his SUV.   She seems to make no bones about the fact that she was looking for an American man to marry.  But, I get the feeling that is Josh treats her well, she will treat him reasonably well in return.  My biggest concern is whether Josh has the finances to give her a nice, roommate free, home.    

I also agree that she needs to lose the contacts and the trashy clothes.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Tuneful said:

The Partridge Family Redux is well networked in a Christian church community and bringing lots of exposure to that town. I don't think it would be a big deal just to inquire if anyone can offer a bed for 2 nights.  

It's actually quite normal for church members to be asked to provide sleeping space when a Christian choir comes to perform at some churches.  

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

It's actually quite normal for church members to be asked to provide sleeping space when a Christian choir comes to perform at some churches.  

I totally agree, I think it is INSANE that she decided her friends would be offended if they asked for them to put up his friends. So strange she did that. I am sure many of her friends would be happy to host his friends! She is such an idiot

• Love 12
44 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Agree! My mom used to be in charge of a Christian boarding school and local churches always put up our basketball team and folk dancing group (I know) whenever we'd travel. We, in turn, played "host family" to tons of people over the years. When my husband's family came over for our wedding, none of them stayed in hotels. His parents stayed with my mom, his friends stayed with a friend of mine, and his sister and brother-in-law parked their RV on our landlord's farm. My own family was scattered throughout various people's homes as well. When you have a lot of out-of-town guests like that, especially international ones, they tend to stay for awhile. That whole week leading up to the wedding was the best part of the whole thing-we had a ton of fun with our guests. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 11
On 11/6/2017 at 9:31 AM, zoemom said:

Jumper Sage were you at my wedding?  I got married when I was 32. I had no desire to spend ridiculous amounts of money for just one day; we had a small wedding inviting only close friends and family, saved the money to put the down payment to buy a house.   I spent less on my wedding than my brother and SIL (who are now separated) spent on their rehersal dinner. 

Yes I was there I was working with the caterer.....lol.  Lovely wedding!  Brother and SIL are now going on my lists of statistics.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I haven't found it yet, but there has got to be a passage of Scripture barring pastors from wearing those lime green glasses that Pastor Tim has on. :)

I thought it was just me...

14 hours ago, AussieBabe said:

Why does Nicole squeeze her fat ass into the middle between May and Azan?! God, that drives me. May should be in the middle.

Molly is all kinds of stupid for leaving her child with some dude she doesn't know. I'm hoping at least the uncle was there.

Elizabeth doesn't need the make-up. She looks good without it as evidenced by her in the airport and the video she recorded in the terminal. She seems to have chemistry with Andrrrrei. Ge genuinely looks smitten with her, and they make an attractive couple.

Poor David. Gosh, he's such a sad sack. The dancing was beautiful. Why does everything seem like it's a money grab? I just don't remember that when Kyle and Noon were on here. I don't recall them showing him paying a dowry or anything like that. I know it's customary, but all the bahts being given to enter the home and to the parents and the water buffalos...geez.

Aika...well, that be.

Spanish David is a dick. I'm sorry but making someone cry is rude. He started the rude line of questioning by saying I heard you didn't like me or whatever. Dude, that wasn't the place. Mikayla doesn't need a friend like Evil-lyn.

She couldn't even fit on the seat.

• Love 6

People in AZ often drive into Mexico.  The driver's license is not a problem but most American insurance companies do not cover travel into Mexico.  There are tons of little "insurance for a day" offices set up near the border.  

I used to work in auto insurance, so the situation @ava111 describes could have been a requirement of the insurance company - it would depend on the insurance company and whether they accept the license from her home country.  Another reason that the 90-day applicants don't apply for American licenses is because of state residency requirements.  If they are here for 90 days, they are not actually residents - they are visitors.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

You inquired about Band Evelyn and asked what kinds of "gigs" they get in rural New Hampshire. So I looked...

According to her website, there are no past or upcoming shows. Now, she might be playing church and religious functions that just aren't on her schedule. Who knows. She DOES have a fairly large social media presence, including a popular You Tube channel. You can buy her music on all the regular outlets (CD Baby, Amazon, Spotify, etc.). Because her You Tube videos have respectable views, she is also getting ad money from them (we have a YT channel and I can tell by the way that hers looks that it's set up for monetization). 

So, it seems to me, that Band Evelyn is an internet-based group. Now, the musician in me hates crap like that. I am still old school and think that you should be lugging your shit through filthy bars and sleeping in the back of schoolbuses on 100-mile journeys every night to pay your dues. The modern side of me knows that the music world doesn't work that way anymore (or doesn't have to). In a way, that's a good thing. You no longer have to live in Austin/New York/Nashville/LA to "make it" in the music world. Download Audacity, record some tracks, upload them to iTunes and Amazon, and you can develop a following. The cynical side of me thinks that's bullshit, the creative side of me thinks that's kind of awesome. It opens up tons of possibilities for GOOD musicians who can't afford to make the move, or who are disabled, or who have responsibilities like young children and can't be out every night singing in late-night rowdy bars (the kinds of places with live music that I like). So, eh, I don't know. It's a different world today from when I was in my 20s, living in Nashville and working in the late-90s country music industry. Things change. 

So I take a little back from what I said upthread. If she's purely internet based then Girlfriend can live anywhere in the world. The family can lay down tracks and send her files and she can lay down her voice and they'll still have their music. 

I found your comment to be extremely interesting. I didn't know all this.  They may indeed be internet based.  I guess they don't need roadies, ha! Schlepping all the equipment made me laugh into the smoky bar- pay your dues dammit!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Matias130 said:

What is interesting is David and Evelyn's arguing style. Evelyn is very inflexible "My way or the hhighway" and David, who is nearly 10 years her senior, never puts his foot down, says "Im the man and I will make this decision." Instead he passively aggressively complains to her but never really seems to get his way.

Fun Fact - cannot stand that spoiled,nasty,full of herself BRAT!

If she was that good she should go on the Voice.

What a horrible person she is. Run David!!!!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Circling back to Children Molly.  What are the chances that Molly is SO wrapped up in Luis' arrival and presence that, sure, she's leaving Kensley home with her brand-new-straight-off-the-lot Dominican StepDad-to-be... but also A TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE CAMERA CREW who will MOST CERTAINLY have her (family's) best interests at heart?  Do we think she's that careless and/or senseless?  

I caught myself channel surfing (always) during Broke Ass David's scenes, but good lord what a sad sack of SAD that dude is.  Listening to him talk about money and how much Family Annie wants, he has almost that nervous voice shake and I half expect him to either pass out or see when the camera pans out - there's a gun to his head.  

Whatever, i hate all of these people.  LOL

You post (the way you worded things) made me realize something in a blinding flash or clarity: I don't like people who think that, just because they're up front about something, it's perfectly OK to be materialistic/mercenary/out to get whatever you can.  (However, if both parties were OK with this.....no --- I don't like the other party, and how they "buy" sex, either.) Thank you! Now  maybe I can focus on other things! :)

Edited by LocalGovt
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

I was Makayla (sp) almost 30 years ago. My best friend was dating a guy who cheated frequently, abused her, isolated her from friends, took her money...he was the total package. I wore myself out trying to get her to see what everyone else saw. She admited to knowing he was a cheater, and obviously that he was abusing her. But her reason for not leaving was that she still loved him, barf. These friends need to realize their advice will fall on deaf ears, and focus on something they can actually change. 

But David Spain isn't a cheater, an abuser, a thief, etc. So you and Mykalya had/have different concerns.

14 hours ago, Tuneful said:

Haha! Lots of fellow DC-ites, NVAers, and Baltimorons here, I see. I'm in MoCo.

Maybe David Es-paiiinnn could get Antonio over here--lots of es-payyyyce, and Cortney and Evelyn have a lot in common. 

BaltiMORONS?? Seriously? lol

13 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I've been watching this show from Season One.  The only people I believe weren't in it for the green card are Amy, Devar, Alexei and Noone. 

I agree. What about Evelyn from Season 1? (I think her name's Evelyn. She's from South America and married the nice looking White guy w/ the blue eyes.)

12 hours ago, Splithair said:

I thought it was 50/50.

I don't she went into the details but said something like "we share custody."

12 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Yeah, there could have been 10 of their close relatives in the house. It was just one short scene on the back deck. Ppl are reading too much into it.

12 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Her English is just about perfect. I wonder what that means. She comes from a middle class family? She's lived in an English-speaking country before? She had a good career in the Phpns? Honestly, tho, I think she looks a little older than 36 in the face.

Edited by balisticnikki
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Splithair said:

Really interesting perspective on David. ... There is a sharper edge to him than I initially thought. I could definitely see him filing away current slights to use as ammunition in later arguments.

Curious what you mean? What things could he use against Evelyn later?

I just can't imagine how those two fell in love? He seems cold and humorless.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

Yeah, there could have been 10 of their close relatives in the house. It was just one short scene on the back deck. Ppl are reading too much into it.

Plus, I can't act like Luis came up with this on his own. How many couples have we seen on this show where the American parent insists that the foreign fiancé is now a parent too? Here's my short list:

Danielle

Nicole

Melanie

The woman from Before 90 Days who went to Amsterdam.

So I suspect Molly has said similar things to Luis.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Molly has a very successful business and is kind of well known in her area. Even if he helped her out in the beginning, and we've seen nothing to suggest this, it appears that she's doing just fine now. 

I hope a prenup is in her future.  I don't care how much "in love" these couples are.  You have to be stupid not to consider that things might not work out or the foreigner might take off after the green card (pre planned or not).  If children are involved it makes it even more necessary. None of these couples really seem to know each other that well.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I’m curious - from a lega perspective how does a prenup differ from the document Mark had Nikki sign?

I thought prenups w/ K1 spouses wouldn't hold up in court??

11 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

How is he supposed to get a visa for her anyway since he can't even support his broke ass self with more than giant red scrubs and white clown shoes?   He'd be better off just living in Thailand and being revered by a certain strata of the population that thinks he's amazing for being a large American.   He can grift to exist or find a nice little job in a remote village that pays well and has a 401K Buffalo program.  Good things.

Didn't he say in this most recent episode the visa has already been applied for and granted? I wonder how he did it while still living in Thailand and not having an American address...

11 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

IKR?? So FUGLY

gahhhh I missed Pastor Tim??

Edited by balisticnikki
  • Love 1
On 11/6/2017 at 10:08 AM, CoachWristletJen said:

I noticed that, too. It's NOT attractive.

Even less attractive are her baby decisions, like leaving her daughter alone for hours on end with a man she barely knows. A man who, it turns out, it is someone creepy and will try to emotionally muscle his way into a father/daughter relationship with a child he barely knows.

She better have an iron-clad prenup or she's going to wind up giving that idiot half of her fancy house!

It may teach her a lesson

5 hours ago, Matias130 said:

I dont know...... there are probably millions of bilingual Spanish speakers in America, I dont think him speaking English and Spanish perfectly can get him any payable jobs just from that skill. 

...in addition to his relevant college degree

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Luis

It is so inappropriate to try to make her call him Daddy, and he knows what a step father is as he used the word in his Skype with his family.

I was listening and watching bc I was interested in this, too. And I'm pretty sure he didn't say "step." And then his father clarified that whether the kids are from you or not, you still have to take care of them or something.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Is there some sort of statistics study or profile of the typical man/woman that look for spouses abroad? We have yet to see an Asian person, (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc..) meeting brides or grooms on line.  

Remember that this show this show only shows a subset of couples who have a streak of the famewhore coupled with financial problems that make it worth giving up your privacy and dignity for 1k per episode.  We may never see  genuine couple like Kirylam and Alan again...

• Love 9

I totally think Mikayla is in love with Evelyn.  I understand Mikayla having concerns but her reservations seem to be over the top emotional.  Evelyn's own parents seem to be fine with David, yet Mikayla is about to go bat sh*t crazy cause her friend is getting married.    

Edited by vmcd88
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

I was listening and watching bc I was interested in this, too. And I'm pretty sure he didn't say "step." And then his father clarified that whether the kids are from you or not, you still have to take care of them or something.

I thought the English subtitles had Luis saying step father during the Skype.  As in, "they won't accept me as their stepfather".  How does he know this?  He tried to force being the new "Daddy" on Kensley.   Not only highly inappropriate, but very dumb on Louise's part.  He and Kensley were hitting it off, but after he kept calling himself her "Daddy", she said, "I don't like you."

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

There are some stats of the number of people on websites, etc. Most of the research seems to focus on the foreign women and their motivations, as well as how websites and other tools are used. There are some broad statements about how websites portray foreign women as subservient, less career oriented, but not much at all on the characteristics of men who either use dating apps and websites to find a spouse. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I thought the English subtitles had Luis saying step father during the Skype.  As in, "they won't accept me as their stepfather". 

Luis was only saying father/padre. 

Kind of mean: Spanish uses the same word (padrastro) for both "stepfather" and "hangnail."

• Love 6

That's a very good question. I would personally like to see someone in a situation like ours (my husband and I) because I think our "international relationship" is pretty common. We met abroad during school. Lived in the same residence hall while we were getting our MAs. Eventually moved in together and dated for several years, until we graduated. Our families vacationed together, I lived with his parents one summer, etc. We started the visa process when I got pregnant. The only reason we started it then was because my student visa was going to expire and I wouldn't have been able to stay in the UK to give birth; I had to return to the US. We had to make the decision as to whether we would get me a fiancee visa to stay in England or if he would get one to come to the US. In the end, I wanted to be near my family and he didn't care where he lived as long as he was with me and our child. We met lots of people throughout the process that had similar stories-they met while one of them was living abroad and had been engaged in long, "normal", relationships before starting the process. I have quite a few friends who met international students who were studying here in the US and they wound up marrying. I would be curious to see the statistics between international couples who met online and those who met during long-term stays abroad. 

My parents had an international and interracial relationship in the 1960s. They had to marry in Germany bc it was illegal in the US. My mother came here on an immigrant visa and later applied for a green card. Married 50 yrs until my father died.

1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Interesting, I am almost sure I sure stepfather in the subtitles.  So, Louise is even nuttier than I thought.  

No "step" in the subtitles.

• Love 4

Didn't finish the whole episode yet, but regarding Evelyn & David...

Evelyn's career - she IS the band. IF she is actually working at a career, one that would keep her in one place, or be inflexible in any way, she should not have even thought about marrying David (or probably anyone not fully on board for that matter). She's 18, & presumably working on her career being 'the band', but now there is someone else involved, so maybe this should have been talked through before.

Which brings me to David - he knew he was getting involved with an 18yo from NH who is in a band - correction- IS the band. But now he arrives & wants to move her away therefore taking away 'the band'. Again, perhaps this should have been talked through before.

IF all this is the case, then perhaps they just shouldn't be together.

David was also an asshole to Mykala. I believe she was probably crying because she went to the house, was questioned about David on film, then cut down by David in a hurtful way, on film. She's probably regretting getting involved in their TV crap, & possibly the whole friendship at this point.

Most likely it's all scripted, because, this is about, & for, Evelyn, who IS the band, & needs more exposure because her SM bikini pics only go so far to sell crappy music.

Reality TV is a great outlet for a bad mood.

Snarking my way to happiness...

Edited by gonecrackers
it's about snark
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, Bridget said:

After watching him be a total arse to FriendEvelyn, I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but DavidSpain's bilingual skills would possibly afford him twice as many job options than someone who doesn't speak a second language. That has to carry some weight when it comes to making financially sound decisions (ie: not cashing in his 401k), such as leaving NH to earn money &  move to an area where he can use his skill set. 

If they moved to Boston (loads of Portuguese speakers, I know, but there are Spanish speakers too), at least Evelyn would finally have to start adulting like the rest of the world, like start driving on the MassPike on her way to "gigs." So much music in Boston that she'd be able to sing breathe heavily into/out of a microphone and recite song lyrics.

If David really wants warm weather, maybe Mr. Jinger Duggar can find him some work in south Texas - which would really piss off Evelyn...and therefore makes me hope it comes to fruition.

Bilingual Spanish and English does not really open many job opportunities.  I'm in Arizona where Spanish is spoken by probably 40% of the population. There are lots of bilinguals so those jobs are very competitive. Also, jobs require other skills, not just knowledge of two languages. Now, if he spoke Hindi or Vietnamese or some other less common language that is not taught in US schools, that skill would open doors for jobs. 

• Love 3
On 11/6/2017 at 2:07 AM, Nowhere said:

I have mixed feelings about how Molly's daughter reacted. On one hand, I am glad she is the kind of girl who isn't overly concerned about a man's feelings and seems to have no problem saying no. But on the other hand, she is sort of a rude little girl. I think Luis meant that he will be her step-father and just didn't know how to say it. I don't expect the little girl to understand that. She heard "father" and naturally wanted to say she already has one. Again, I have no problems with that. But if I were Molly, and I trusted somebody enough to leave my child with him (I wouldn't trust Luis yet), I would expect my daughter to be kind and behave herself. I would be embarrassed by how she treated her babysitter. Saying, "I don't like you" to an adult is not cute at all. She hasn't been taught to be nice to people or just say nothing and get away if she is uncomfortable. I am not as enamored with this child as everyone else is.

Okay but if she was a prostitute before, she isn't now. Tobo's friend is interested in slaving her. She has to earn her keep by giving him massages? Since he is in a position of power, his request is highly inappropriate. What if she gets to his house and refuses his advances? Will she and Tobo be thrown out? Chris knows he has the power here and can make her do whatever he wants. I guess he thinks he's Harvey Weinstein now.

She seems to be a pretty typical 7 year old to me (or thereabouts). If Luis doesn't know the right words to say, then he should keep his bleedin' mouth shut! Since he's not that smart, then he should expect to be handed his ass in a blunt manner by the 7 year old when he tries to say that he's going to be her father now. She already has a father and she knows it. Molly has a visitation agreement with him (my wife watched her reality bra show when it was on). Kids her age deal in literalities. She's not going to extrapolate from "I'm your new father" to "I'm your new step-father" and react based on what he meant; she's going to react to what he said and that's it.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Bilingual Spanish and English does not really open many job opportunities.  I'm in Arizona where Spanish is spoken by probably 40% of the population. There are lots of bilinguals so those jobs are very competitive. Also, jobs require other skills, not just knowledge of two languages. Now, if he spoke Hindi or Vietnamese or some other less common language that is not taught in US schools, that skill would open doors for jobs. 

I agree. And if the speculation that his desire to move to VA is true that he really means the DC area, then Spanish won't do him any good at all. Maybe Farsi, Arabic, Mandarin, Russian  - those might help a bit. But I still think his biggest problem even if he speaks multiple languages will be his lack of job experience. At his age he should have 6 or 7 years of relevant job experience for whatever he wants to do. An employer is going to look at him and wonder what's wrong with him. These days even new college graduates are expected to have relevant job experience via an internship or the like. When presented with multiple applications, an employer probably isn't going to gamble on a 'just starting out' nearly 30 year old.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Luis was only saying father/padre. 

Kind of mean: Spanish uses the same word (padrastro) for both "stepfather" and "hangnail."

Yeah who ever did the subtitles/translation used the English "step father" but he only said "father" . Maybe it is used like that in Spanish to mean father or step-father depending on the context,  so when he said "father" in English to the girl he figured she would know he meant step-father? I mean he can't be that stupid! Maybe this is an explanation, he just  assumed the girl knew he meant "I am your step father now"..

9 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

She seems to be a pretty typical 7 year old to me (or thereabouts). If Luis doesn't know the right words to say, then he should keep his bleedin' mouth shut! Since he's not that smart, then he should expect to be handed his ass in a blunt manner by the 7 year old when he tries to say that he's going to be her father now. She already has a father and she knows it. Molly has a visitation agreement with him (my wife watched her reality bra show when it was on). Kids her age deal in literalities. She's not going to extrapolate from "I'm your new father" to "I'm your new step-father" and react based on what he meant; she's going to react to what he said and that's it.

Ditto.  Luis has a decent grasp of the English language and enough to say "hey baby, you will be my wife". 

Devar never said to Melanie's kid that he's his new daddy. He basically said hey, I'm marrying your mom, let's be friends. That way a relationship gets built up. 

Luis is an idiot.

• Love 17
15 hours ago, Splithair said:

His response to Mikayla is what I would expect from an 18 year old, but not a guy getting close to 30 who appears to be somewhat mature in other ways.

Producers urge-urge-urge these participants, even writing little scripts for them.  Maybe they showed him previous video of Mikayla ... maybe Evelyn cried hysterically about their conversation.  David doesn't seem like the type to be that rude--nor does Mikayla seem to be the type that would just blurt out her concerns and get so teary-eyed.  There's a lot of behind-the-scenes to everything we see on these "reality" shows.  I hope David sees the magical writing on the wall of Castle Evelyn and becomes a runaway groom.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

I noticed that, too. It's NOT attractive.

Even less attractive are her baby decisions, like leaving her daughter alone for hours on end with a man she barely knows. A man who, it turns out, it is someone creepy and will try to emotionally muscle his way into a father/daughter relationship with a child he barely knows.

She better have an iron-clad prenup or she's going to wind up giving that idiot half of her fancy house!

I would never leave my kids with someone I hardly know. I would insist he take some courses like English and maybe American History. That would keep hi busy.

Hanging around the house all day will drive him nuts.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

And if the speculation that his desire to move to VA is true that he really means the DC area, then Spanish won't do him any good at all.

Al contrario.   Spanish will "do him good" all over the United States.  Doesn't he have IT skills?  Didn't we hear about a job when the couple was introduced?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Al contrario.   Spanish will "do him good" all over the United States.  Doesn't he have IT skills?  Didn't we hear about a job when the couple was introduced?

Maybe I worded it incorrectly. Spanish won’t set him apart. It isn’t unique or something that a large number of people already have who also probably have more extensive job experience. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2

That whole week leading up to the wedding was the best part of the whole thing-we had a ton of fun with our guests. 

Evelyn is too selfish, self-centered, and uncreative to think ANYTHING like this would be fun.  She has simply read all the "bride" magazines and choose what she saw.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, vmcd88 said:

Evelyn's own parents seem to be fine with David, yet Mikayla is about to go bat sh*t crazy cause her friend is getting married.    

I think Mikayla is the ONLY person in this Evelyn scenario who's NOT batshit crazy...with David right behind Mikayla.  The whole family lives in Innocenceburg.  What family (unless they're trying to rid themselves of her) encourages their 18-year-old daughter to marry at all...let alone someone they've never met?

• Love 6