Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Is there a reason (besides planned Production) that Molly doesn't have Luis at the store doing stuff like unboxing crap or moving stuff around?   He's basically free help.  Would that be too boring?  I guess there is no drama because anything showworthy (Let's have sex in the dressing room!) would be a detriment to her business.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

For some reason, people seem to find the Anfisas more respectable because they straight up tell you they're scamming you, as opposed to people who don't tell you that they're scamming you. Frankly, I don't see much difference. The salient aspect is the scamming.

But is it a scam if you're being honest about your motives?  I will give you X in exchange for Y.  It's like every transaction in the history of ever.  Marriage doesn't have to be about romantic love if both parties know the expectations going in.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

I grew up in New England. RI, MA and Southern NH. Boston was the last major city in the USA to desegregate. It started in 74 and ended the year I graduated from High School ,1988. I spent my HS years in Southern NH. I spent years  hanging out at my bet friends house with her parents. They treated me like their 4th child.. That is, until they saw me talking to a Black boy. I was never allowed in their home again. There was 1 black girl in my school. A lot of my friends parents would not not allow her to come to their house. I also remember a popular joke from when I lived there. The state motto was Live Free or Die.. The joke was, Live Free or Die... unless you are Black. There was plenty of racism in New England. It's not always so easy to see it when you are white though. I love New England and I will always be a New Englander in my heart, but racism exists everywhere in this country. Everywhere.

Edited by JennyMominFL
quoted wrong thing
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, JennyMominFL said:

I grew up in New England. RI, MA and Southern NH. Boston was the last major city in the USA to desegregate. It started in 74 and ended the year I graduated from High School ,1988. I spent my HS years in Southern NH. I spent years  hanging out at my bet friends house with her parents. They treated me like their 4th child.. That is, until they saw me talking to a Black boy. I was never allowed in their home again. There was 1 black girl in my school. A lot of my friends parents would not not allow her to come to their house. I also remember a popular joke from when I lived there. The state motto was Live Free or Die.. The joke was, Live Free or Die... unless you are Black. There was plenty of racism in New England. It's not always so easy to see it when you are white though.

My point wasn't that racism doesn't exist in NE, my point was that not every place lacking in diversity is such because of racism.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

My point wasn't that racism doesn't exist in NE, my point was that not every place lacking in diversity is such because of racism.

Yeah, I actually meant to respond to the post you responded too and just realized I only quoted yours. I'm going back and removing  your quoted section

Sister:  Elizabeth is such a go-getter.  Yeah that’s why she works part time and for her dad.

Chris sure looks like Brian Wilson.

Molly’s hairdresser looks like if Weird Al were gay.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Is there a reason (besides planned Production) that Molly doesn't have Luis at the store doing stuff like unboxing crap or moving stuff around?   He's basically free help.  Would that be too boring?  I guess there is no drama because anything showworthy (Let's have sex in the dressing room!) would be a detriment to her business.

If I were Molly, I wouldn't want to see his stripper face every day if he's working around ladies buying lingerie.  :)

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Spike said:

Sister:  Elizabeth is such a go-getter.  Yeah that’s why she works part time and for her dad.

Chris sure looks like Brian Wilson.

Molly’s hairdresser looks like if Weird Al were gay.

Molly's hairdresser looks like if Jesus and Satan had a baby.

515d191.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I HATE the sound of liquid being poured.  Those commercials that try to make it sound refreshing just set me on edge. 

Can I just say, I am ecstatic that this is one pet peeve/aversion/condition that I don't have?! Although, the seed has now been planted in my easily agitated psyche...

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

But is it a scam if you're being honest about your motives?  I will give you X in exchange for Y.  It's like every transaction in the history of ever.  Marriage doesn't have to be about romantic love if both parties know the expectations going in.

It's a dicey area. 

For whatever reason, the Joshes and Danielle's and Jorges in this country are too stupid to know they are being scammed even when the evidence is right in front of them.

They still think it's a love match.

They're still being scammed or they wouldn't be in it.

And the partners know that they'll be history in a couple of years.

Maybe their partners deserve it for being idiots. But does that justify the manipulation and deceit?

They are not just scamming the idiots they marry. 

They are using the idiots to breach a system that they couldn't enter otherwise.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

David Poor accused Antonio of saying that stuff outside by the hot tub bc he wants to fuck Chris. Which makes no sense whatsoever beyond just being a homophobic jab.

Oooooh, I missed that.  David is a sloppy ass drunk (he's a sloppy ass in general), but  I still think Antonio was waaaaay over the top.  I would say he embarrassed Annie more than anything. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

Yes, didn't Melanie go to Jamaica 15 times to visit Devar? LOL  I'm remembering 15 times. But she went A LOT. She spent close to $40k btwn visiting him and applying for his visa.  And Hunter and Devar skyped before Devar moved stateside.

It seems Molly went to the DR twice; first meeting and one subsequent visit over the course of two months.

Yeah, what kinds of apples grow in Claremont?

Honeycrisps are great but they are 3x the price of every other apple in our supermarkets. So McIntosh and Pink Lady will have to do.

You really can't beat Pink Lady. Perfect marriage of red and green apples. 

• Love 6

I haven’t read anything yet but Nicole is an abusive piece of shit. Right about the time I started to get nervous that she was going to get physical, she got physical. No doubt it’s happened before off camera and much worse. I don’t understand what Azan is gaining in this “relationship.” I only have one theory as to why he’s with her and I’m not fully sure it’s appropriate to say but I can see no other reason other than he is closeted gay and wants to leave Morocco for that reason. He doesn’t even like Nicole let alone love her and he doesn't seem to really want to go to the US...there has to be a reason..

I’m so disgusted with Nicole. Don’t try and claim you’re “loud” “like any American” because she’s a certain type of ratchet American and doesn't represent the rest in the least bit. I want her parents to continue to raise May, I’m fearful of Nicole as any kind of caregiver.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 12
12 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

I don't think it is a justification- I think he has actually said this to her. What she meant is Azan says things like "your president is Trump, he is American, he is a racist, therefore you are a racist too." I have had the same thing said to me when I was abroad this summer.  I've had Italians blame me for everything wrong in America. She was trying to say, in her limited way, that Azan lays into her because Trump is president, as if it is her fault. But if she says anything to him about something fucked up in his culture, then she is being disrespectful.  He is saying "because Trump is president, you Nicole are a racist" 

They did pay. They walked into the store and you see them handing over cash and given an empty bag. I guess you can fill the bag for a certain price. 

They did pay to fill their bags but if they filled their bags then they took an extra apple unless they were allowed to sample.

8 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I HATE the sound of liquid being poured.  Those commercials that try to make it sound refreshing just set me on edge. 

The sound of liquid being poured gives me the urge to pee.  The sound of ice cubes clinking in a glass annoys me no end (it’s the tipping up and down of several ice cubes when drinking in lieu of using a straw) and I cannot be in the same room with anyone chewing ice!  Other than that, I’m not too neurotic for 51.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shockermolar said:

I get the general point you're trying to make, but you understand that not all Mexican food is Sonoran, right? What you consider authentic, good Mexican food is not what I would necessarily consider good, authentic Mexican food, and I'm actually Mexican-American. It's just, I'm from Texas so what I was raised on isn't the same. In fact, the authentic food I get from my family or local places here in the Austin/San Antonio corridor is vastly different that what I'd get out in El Paso or down in the Valley.  And, not for nothing, but my parents lived just north of the Keys for a couple of years while I was in college and the only Mexican place in their neighborhood was pretty much exactly like Mexican places we ate at regularly in San Antonio. 

You are right, Texas has fantastic Mexican food that is much different than in Arizona or California.  However, my initial point was that New Hampshire Mexican food does not appeal to me.  The Mexican food in the border states is superior to the bland flavors found in the food in the Midwest and east coast. 

• Love 2
On 11/26/2017 at 11:12 PM, tincansailor981 said:

Bitch ass Evil-twin was fucking that apple up.  It helps to have a mouth full of teeth like a damn shark.  Elitist my ass, spoiled ass little bitch is more like it.

Slicky boy Luis's true colors are showing. His punk ass only wants his green card and if he has to endure boning a brash older woman to get it, so be it.  Molly needs to send his ass back and exchange him for a upgraded model.

Drunk ass bowling pin better wise up and put the bottle down or Annie is going back to Thailand. Or, he will get his ass kicked.  She seems like a decent enough woman who deserves so much more than the blob who drank Hollywood can offer.  Dude really needs to waddle his fat ass down to the employment office.

Your. snark was most delicious.  I laughed my ass off , particularly at the bolded. I was trying to catch up all day.  

I was entertained all day long by everyone’s comments.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:
9 hours ago, Granny58 said:

The sound of liquid being poured gives me the urge to pee.  The sound of ice cubes clinking in a glass annoys me no end (it’s the tipping up and down of several ice cubes when drinking in lieu of using a straw) and I cannot be in the same room with anyone chewing ice!  Other than that, I’m not too neurotic for 51.

I'm okay with all those sounds, but the sound of someone loudly eating an apple makes me "stabby." Not too long ago, I was sitting in the waiting room and a very nice looking young man sat down right next to me and pulled out an apple. He proceeded to eat it extremely loudly and extremely slowly. Not only that, he did the whole lip smacking in between every single bite. Just as soon as he finished smacking his lips, he'd take another huge, loud chomp. I was twitching. The worst part is that as soon as he was done eating his apple, he pulled out a handful of Halloween treats and proceeded to unwrap them, very loudly and very slowly....the crinkling sound of wrappers drives me around the bend too, lol. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, hisbunkie said:

Just to be clear...Spanish David is Caucasian, Spanish.  He is European.  

Yes.  He’s also olive skinned with dark hair and eyes, which could mean that he’s European with Moorish ancestry. Maybe he has Romani ancestry as well. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Kangatush said:

I don't think David Pour is an alcoholic in the traditional sense.  I don't think he needs alcohol to function.  What he is (in my opinion) is a binge drinker.  When he does drink, his point is to get drunk.  This isn't healthy, but it's a bit different from straight alcoholism.  Going until the wedding without drinking is totally something he can do with little issue.  But then he can go back to his ways easy peasy.  He needs some sort of counselling.  For his sucky life in general, not just alcohol.  

Didn’t he say he lost several hundred pounds?  I wonder if he had weight loss surgery?  He has a weird shaped body and a strange gait when he walks. Wonder if he lost all that weight @nd is experiencing binge drinking episodes. 

Just for shiggles, I looked up apple picking near Claremont.  The first result was a place in Vermont.  Tee hee  I guess Claremont doesn't have EVERYTHING.

And this is from an orchard website, which is a pretty standard policy as far as my experience has been...  "Sampling of our fruit while in the Orchard is an expected part of the PYO (pick your own) experience, within reason. Please do not waste fruit."

• Love 6

If Pour David is in fact an alcoholic, and if he does get drunk very fast, it could be because of something called reverse tolerance. An acquaintance of mine had this and it confused me for the longest time. We'd go out and after about two or three drinks, he turned into a sloppy puddle.  I didn't figure it out until I realized that he was in the late stages of alcoholism.  

http://hams.cc/reverse/

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

You are right, Texas has fantastic Mexican food that is much different than in Arizona or California.  However, my initial point was that New Hampshire Mexican food does not appeal to me.  The Mexican food in the border states is superior to the bland flavors found in the food in the Midwest and east coast. 

Did this conversation start based on David Spain being critical of the food in the restaurant or just the fact that the owners were not Mexican?  I remember the initial comment of being taken to a Mexican restaurant as if that was the same as a Spanish restaurant.  (which he has a point only if they said "hey we would like to take you and Evelyn out to dinner and we are picking food that should remind you of home!")

Or is the point that food in that region can't be authentic?  I'm confused.  If I live in the Midwest or East Coast and the mexican restaurant is run by mexicans and is well...."authentic" does it matter where it's located?  Isn't it owner driven?  The guy making Oaxacan food doesn't make food that tastes like Rick Bayless' Oaxacan food...while both being delicious and authentic.   The guy who runs every major city's "Mi Pueblo" who is serving birria and you see the goat being dragged in....does it matter if it's Dallas, Cleveland, Philadelphia or Oklahoma City?   Every major and mid market city has a latin based area with restaurants.   Or dives.  LOL

I agree with you that the type of food shown was not appealing to me either.

• Love 4
On 11/26/2017 at 7:48 PM, jumper sage said:

The whole stripper thing was just too stupid.  I am taking a survey - how many of you wanted strippers at any type of party?  If someone is getting married why would they want a stripper?

Married for 23 years. Didnt have a bachelorette party and if I'd had one, I would not have wanted strippers. Ew.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Because it's against the law for him to do any kind of work - paid or otherwise - until he gets his Green Card.

• Love 3

I went back and watched the episode again. David Spain is a dick. I don't disagree with him wanting to move to a place with better job opportunities but the way he goes about it is just dickish. He could politely win his argument by talking about better job opportunities and such. Instead, he chooses to put everything down about the place that Evelyn loves. I don't like her, and I've never been to Claremont so I have zero feelings about it, but it's still something that is important to her. Ridiculing the town and looking down his nose at everything isn't going to make her suddenly jump up and scream, "You're right! Let's move down south!" Instead, it might make her dig in. 

Have we actually heard him say that he wants to go to VA because of job opportunities or is it just because he has friends down there (and he thinks it will be warmer)? Because, honestly, if that's the only reason he wants to go then that's not much better than her wanting to stay in NH for her family and Band Evelyn. 

• Love 14
16 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

I haven't had Mexican food in Florida. I suspect it is different than Arizona which in the Sonoran desert.  Florida probably has more Cuban influence. The really bad Mexican food is found in fancy Arizona restaurants that cater to the tourists.  The food is overpriced and found in places like Scottsdale where lots of people come to vacation. These mainstream restaurants are very popular, but they are not authentic Mexican.  They cater to the east coast, Midwest palate. 

This may be getting off topic, ut the only "Mexican" food I have had is sadly Taco Bell/Del Taco, or the occasional frozen enchilada, and I never really cared for it. Can you explain to me what authentic MExican food dishes are like ? 

4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Yes.  He’s also olive skinned with dark hair and eyes, which could mean that he’s European with Moorish ancestry. Maybe he has Romani ancestry as well. 

Yes, I agree. I assumed that back in the day there was some mixing between Spaniards and North Africans, and Granada is in the southern tip of Spain, right by Morocco (?) so that could explain his olive complexion. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, lucy711 said:

America still has many racial problems to work out, but I agree with you that it's not the 1960s anymore.  I spent hours interviewing (black and white) veterans of the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s and 1960s when I was in college, and they would be pretty surprised by the people on here that think we've made no progress.  But I'll get back to the main topic of this forum.

If David Spain is so worldly and loves cosmopolitan cities and diversity and all that- he has no business moving to NH and marrying a sheltered 18 year old girl.  Seriously.  If he loves Virginia so much he should have looked for a woman from that state.

In other news, why didn't Molly send Louis on a plane back to the DR the minute he started gripping about missing his single life so much?  I would have kicked him to the curb the minute he started griping about my 6 year old daughter.

It may be all contrived, but I have never heard David Spain proclaim his deep love, devotion, affection for Evalyn ... Do these kids even like each other ?? smh. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

It would be factual honesty to express those things while they were planning their future. It would even be factual honesty to express the need for a place with a job. What makes him "elitist" or "a snob" or a grade A douchebag is his constant "Spain is better" comments. He slams absolutely everything because it isn't Spain. No mountain is nice. No apple tastes good. Food must suck because the chef is white. He knew where she lived. If he wants Spain, he should have stayed in Spain.

"You should see the mountains in Switzerland." He tried to seem unimpressed with the scenic views he was being treated to. Well, he's from Spain, not Switzerland, and if he did see the mountains in Switzerland, it was as a tourist, after an airplane flight. The elitism is so annoying :o

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

"You should see the mountains in Switzerland." He tried to seem unimpressed with the scenic views he was being treated to. Well, he's from Spain, not Switzerland, and if he did see the mountains in Switzerland, it was as a tourist, after an airplane flight. The elitism is so annoying :o

I'm having trouble with his overall disdain of Claremont. I can understand wanting to move elsewhere and not being enamored of the kind of life that a small town like that offers but he's just so freaking rude about it. THOSE mountains aren't good enough because he's seen the Swiss Alps. He's had BETTER apples than those, etc. etc. I try to find beauty and something interesting in every place I visit (and have lived). I mean, they're going to be there for probably at least a year-until he can work and they get on their feet, anyway. He may as well try to make the best of it. Most places are generally what you wind up making of them and if you're constantly comparing them to someplace else, they'll never quite measure up. 

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

I'm okay with all those sounds, but the sound of someone loudly eating an apple makes me "stabby." Not too long ago, I was sitting in the waiting room and a very nice looking young man sat down right next to me and pulled out an apple. He proceeded to eat it extremely loudly and extremely slowly. Not only that, he did the whole lip smacking in between every single bite. Just as soon as he finished smacking his lips, he'd take another huge, loud chomp. I was twitching. The worst part is that as soon as he was done eating his apple, he pulled out a handful of Halloween treats and proceeded to unwrap them, very loudly and very slowly....the crinkling sound of wrappers drives me around the bend too, lol. 

Stabby is absolutely the correct word here.  Have you ever heard of ASMR?  There are youtube videos of it if you're interested.  It is all about soothing sounds or actions....for anxiety, insomnia, etc.  Well, believe it or not, some people actually are soothed by lip smacking!!!!  That's a particular niche.  I simply cannot believe it!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lily247 said:

It may be all contrived, but I have never heard David Spain proclaim his deep love, devotion, affection for Evalyn ... Do these kids even like each other ?? smh. 

Frankly, they seem not to. 

4 hours ago, essexjan said:

Because it's against the law for him to do any kind of work - paid or otherwise - until he gets his Green Card.

and that means 2 years?  

30 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

Frankly, they seem not to. 

and that means 2 years?  

Permission to Work

After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization with the USCIS Service Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence. Any work authorization based on a nonimmigrant fiancé (e) visa would be valid for only 90 days after entry. However, your fiancé (e) would also be eligible to apply for an extended work authorization at the same time as he or she files for permanent residence. In this case, your fiancé(e) would file Form I-765 together with Form I-485 as soon as you marry.

• Love 3
On 11/26/2017 at 11:23 PM, Splithair said:

Not sure it would ever occur to me to take two people that didn't care for each other to a gun shop/shooting range to help break the ice. 

IDK how liberal gun laws are in the Phillipines but I am confident they are less liberal than they are here. I thought that was an odd choice to take a foreigner to make peace. Two men who are comfortable with guns taking a woman there who is unfamiliar with them did not sound fun to me, it would put me on the defensive literally. And I am cool w/guns. 

On 11/27/2017 at 0:34 AM, TrininisaScorp said:

David Pour (Poor?) is just a hot mess. 

Pour~ LOL I love it! 

On 11/27/2017 at 0:41 AM, BeachyWave said:

Ironic that 50 percent of Evelyn's screen time is us watching her chew food.

Oral fixation. Here's what Freud says about child Evelyn! haha read on............. The primary conflict at this stage is the weaning process--the child must become less dependent upon caretakers. If fixation occurs at this stage, Freud believed the individual would have issues with dependency or aggression. 

Here's the thing............ Wonderful, liberal Hanover New Hampshire home of Dartmouth College is 30 miles from Claremont accessible by an interstate. There are no doubt latinos, Spaniards, clubs, groups, churches, hobbies, etc to mingle with that would make David feel at home. They could even live and work there. AND STILL BE CLOSE TO CLAREMONT. But no she takes him to an Orchard. Because her fundie parents probably do not want him exposed to the loosey goosey godless college town of Hanover. God forbid they go to dinner at the Candela Tapas Lounge and learn about spanish food and show David that their area IS a diverse wonderful place that is inclusive of everyone. 

The lynching thing DID happen in Claremont right around this was filmed based on the early fall foliage in the orchard scene.  Sickening. The state AG had to get involved because the Claremont police did little about it. That might be part of what is driving David's anxiety about being stuck there and I don't blame him. 

• Love 13

I'm having trouble with his overall disdain of Claremont. I can understand wanting to move elsewhere and not being enamored of the kind of life that a small town like that offers but he's just so freaking rude about it. THOSE mountains aren't good enough because he's seen the Swiss Alps. He's had BETTER apples than those, etc. etc. I try to find beauty and something interesting in every place I visit (and have lived). I mean, they're going to be there for probably at least a year-until he can work and they get on their feet, anyway. He may as well try to make the best of it. Most places are generally what you wind up making of them and if you're constantly comparing them to someplace else, they'll never quite measure up. 

This. So much this. Evelyn is horrible, but David is a rude asshole. 27 year old virgins shouldn't sit up on pedestals. Especially in front of your fiancé's family, who clearly like their small town and are likely at least partially financially supporting you. Has David ever even been to Virginia?? I wonder if he had to come to the States because Spanish women wouldn't put up with his crap.

It also irritates me that Libby's sisters kept calling her this go-getter. She works part-time for her father and doesn't appear to do much else. How is she this modern successful woman exactly? They're all worried about Andre's finances, when it doesn't sound like Libby is supporting herself financially at all or working to do so.

• Love 13

This is a club in Hanover............ 30 miles from Claremont.  I rest my case.  2 seconds of googling could have netted a fun night out,  rather than a Mexican restaurant owned by Floridians in shuttered up Claremont. 

Bienvenidos a "Buena Gente Social Club" 

The Buena Gente Social Club is thrilled to announce its sixth year working in the Upper Valley to promote the Spanish language and the diverse cultures of Spain and Latin America.  

With an active membership of native speakers and learners at all levels, we offer weekly conversation groups and monthly dinners, we celebrate traditional holidays, organize parties, and work together to connect people with resources that support educational goals and cross cultural appreciation.  The BGSC is family friendly and all events are free of charge.

You may join us at any time, there is no cost nor paperwork required to become a member.  All ages are always welcome.

• Love 8

David and Evelyn are very, very bad at expressing themselves. Evelyn is laying it on so thick I can almost understand David pushing back some. The breakfast place is the Best Breakfast Place Ever. The apples are the Most Delicious Ambrosia of the Gods. The view is the Most Beautiful, Awe-Inspiring Panorama that Ever Delighted the Eyes of a Human. Jesus, girl, dial it back. It must be exhausting to be around her. "We're going down Main Street, Claremont. The most Delightful Thoroughfare of Any Town in the United States". "We're going to Target in Claremont Mall. Its the Most Unique and Original Assortment of Stores Ever Assembled in One Place". "My mom is cooking an egg. Isn't it the Freshest, Most Delicious Egg Ever Cooked?" Don't mistake me, David is acting like a sulky 7 year old. But against the constant onslaught of the Wonderful Specialness of Claremont, I can almost see why.

Maybe she could just sometimes say "I love this breakfast place--it's been my favorite since I was a kid. I hope you like it too". Or "A view like this is special to me. There are higher mountains but this is my home. Maybe you'll come to love it too. I'd like that."

If Libby is a driven, ambitious, Type A go-getter, I am the Queen of Romania.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 21
15 hours ago, brillia79 said:

The Green Books ceased publication because of the passage of the Civil Rights Act. Sundown towns and discrimination continued in spite of this. A town doesn't have to be on a register of sundown towns to be/have been enforcing de facto segregation. Restrictive covenants, steering and white flight were a quiet way to maintain a racially homogenous community - without the direct threat of violence. Real estate listings on Facebook this year have been using a method of steering to target buyers.

White supremacists have marched repeatedly in Charlottesville and killed a woman this year. 2017, 1926 and 1966 really aren't all that different.

Plus, there's that attempted lynching in the predominantly white and small population town of Claremont that keeps getting swept under the rug.

What were the total populations of these towns that saw "massive" increases in black populations? Those numbers look small for an almost 50 year period. 6 million black people migrated throughout the US in a similar number of years during the Great Migration. 2010 census shows a 1.1% total black population in New Hampshire - 0.6% for Claremont. Bragging rights are not in order.

What does the black population of New Hampshire or Claremont have to do with this show?  David is just a whiner. He could care less about how many black people live in that town. I'm sure he would like to more people of Latin ancestry, but black people, not so much. Also, do you really think David is that concerned about about the attempted lynching?  I doubt it.  He is, after all, European and racially white. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

Married for 23 years. Didnt have a bachelorette party and if I'd had one, I would not have wanted strippers. Ew.

Mr. Coach and I visited a couple of strip clubs together when we were dating so it was kind of old hat to us. I had friends who were strippers and, while not one myself, I have sat with friends in the dressing room sipping a Diet Coke, and as far as I'm concerned, hearing all of the snark about the patrons flying around back there is enough to make any self-respecting guy want to run in the other direction! But then again, I don't think like a guy so I can't really be sure. 

Anyway, neither of us felt the need for them before we got married.

Strippers seem to be a symbol of freedom to some people even though the life of a stripper is mostly late nights, cocaine and missed car payments. (And, no, I didn't do their drugs. Not like they would have wanted to share, anyway.)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I went back and watched the episode again. David Spain is a dick. I don't disagree with him wanting to move to a place with better job opportunities but the way he goes about it is just dickish. He could politely win his argument by talking about better job opportunities and such. Instead, he chooses to put everything down about the place that Evelyn loves. I don't like her, and I've never been to Claremont so I have zero feelings about it, but it's still something that is important to her. Ridiculing the town and looking down his nose at everything isn't going to make her suddenly jump up and scream, "You're right! Let's move down south!" Instead, it might make her dig in. 

Have we actually heard him say that he wants to go to VA because of job opportunities or is it just because he has friends down there (and he thinks it will be warmer)? Because, honestly, if that's the only reason he wants to go then that's not much better than her wanting to stay in NH for her family and Band Evelyn. 

Oh he's totally a huge dick, but not in the good way.  This couple is kind of fun because they're both horrible so you can argue either side equally well.  And argue their points way better than they can.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

I agree and disagree all at the same time.  You can find good ethnic restaurants in any zip code.  When I walk into an Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Cuban, Polish or any other ethnic restaurant I want to hear or see a representation of the culture.  I used to work in a very rural area 25 miles north of Detroit that was rich with orchards and because of that, rich with Mexican immigrants.  The orchards would literally drive down to Mexico and bring whole families back and get them into the process of becoming citizens...........One of these families, while the men were working the orchards, the women were driving a food truck with authentic and some Americanized dishes.  They were so popular the local police helped them get licensed and helped them find a spot to have a brick and mortar building.  It is the hot spot for people around the county.  I just have to remember to say, "No cilantro please".  The hand tossed shells are to die for.  This same community also had a Chinese restaurant and when I walked in, all excited, I found a farmer and his wife as the owners.  Um..NO!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

I agree and disagree all at the same time.  You can find good ethnic restaurants in any zip code.  When I walk into an Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Cuban, Polish or any other ethnic restaurant I want to hear or see a representation of the culture.  I used to work in a very rural area 25 miles north of Detroit that was rich with orchards and because of that, rich with Mexican immigrants.  The orchards would literally drive down to Mexico and bring whole families back and get them into the process of becoming citizens...........One of these families, while the men were working the orchards, the women were driving a food truck with authentic and some Americanized dishes.  They were so popular the local police helped them get licensed and helped them find a spot to have a brick and mortar building.  It is the hot spot for people around the county.  I just have to remember to say, "No cilantro please".  The hand tossed shells are to die for.  This same community also had a Chinese restaurant and when I walked in, all excited, I found a farmer and his wife as the owners.  Um..NO!

I care less about the ethnicity of the owners and more about the ethnicity of the patrons.  Does the Vietnamese place have Vietnamese customers?  That's usually a sign of authenticity.  :)

One of my favorite Greek places is owned by Turks with a Chinese chef, but the food is amazing.  :)

Edited by Kangatush
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, essexjan said:

Well, he's currently providing babysitting services and does lawn work . . . which Molly would have to pay for if Luis wasn't doing it.  Why couldn't he also be unpacking boxes at the shop?

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

David and Evelyn are very, very bad at expressing themselves. Evelyn is laying it on so thick I can almost understand David pushing back some. The breakfast place is the Best Breakfast Place Ever. The apples are the Most Delicious Ambrosia of the Gods. The view is the Most Beautiful, Awe-Inspiring Panorama that Ever Delighted the Eyes of a Human. Jesus, girl, dial it back. It must be exhausting to be around her. "We're going down Main Street, Claremont. The most Delightful Thoroughfare of Any Town in the United States". "We're going to Target in Claremont Mall. Its the Most Unique and Original Assortment of Stores Ever Assembled in One Place". "My mom is cooking an egg. Isn't it the Freshest, Most Delicious Egg Ever Cooked?" Don't mistake me, David is acting like a sulky 7 year old. But against the constant onslaught of the Wonderful Specialness of Claremont, I can almost see why.

Maybe she could just sometimes say "I love this breakfast place--it's been my favorite since I was a kid. I hope you like it too". Or "A view like this is special to me. There are higher mountains but this is my home. Maybe you'll come to love it too. I'd like that."

If Libby is a driven, ambitious, Type A go-getter, I am the Queen of Romania.

This. All of this. 

Plus, I have some sympathy for David Spain. Don't get me wrong - David Spain is a raging asshole. However, I am going to give him a pass for some of Claremont hate and bitchiness. Moving countries is HARD. I love Europe. I get Europe. I have been to Europe a lot. My mom is French. However, when my husband and I moved to Germany, I HATED every minute of my first few months. I had no job. I had no friends. It was a lonely adjustment period - and my husband was a great person who did his best to help, unlike Princess Raging Asshole. However, adjustment is just hard. You miss your old life and how comfortable you were doing even the tiniest things. David doesn't even have his own space. You get homesick for your comfort zone, for your sense of control over your own life, for that sense of belonging. I never love America more then when I am living away from her. Distance and homesickness add a glossy sheen to all your memories and experiences. I am the first to poke fun at America and and American culture, but God forbid some poor German would try to take the piss in front of me while I was in Germany, and I would have a go at them. You get over protective of YOUR home. Evelyn and her parents have NO sympathy and very little respect for anything other than Claremont. "There is no European dream." They are so tone deaf and self absorbed. that they don't realize that by proclaiming Claremeont the bestest place ever, they are slighting David's home and his feelings. Solomon's too busy feeling sorry for himself that he might lose his sister and the precious band that he can't even see beyond his own self absorption to have 0.000002 ounces of sympathy for David. Evelyn and her whole clan are always me, me, every day all the time.  I can't blame David for wanting to push back a little.  

• Love 13
On 11/26/2017 at 11:56 PM, millennium said:

There was an instant where Azan seemed about to smack her.   He moved towards her, then looked back at the camera and thought better of it. 

I was repulsed by the scene with Antonio vs. David Pour(me another).   What happens between David and Annie is none of Antonio's business.   It's okay to personally and privately disapprove of David's behavior but Antonio had no right to get in David's face and publicly embarrass him like that.   It's not like David was physically abusing Annie and Antonio had to step in to prevent her from getting hurt.  Nor is Antonio paying the bill for sheltering David and Annie.   Antonio had no grounds whatsoever to challenge David -- except that Antonio regards David as less than human because David is broke, and that strips David of all rights and respect in his eyes.    Beneath all the cliched flamboyance, Antonio's attack on David was just hateful and cruel, and says more about Antonio's damaged personality than David's.

Yeah he was way out of line.  He had a right to jump on David for what he said but no right to talk his fiance like that, it's none of his damn business.  He's not her family or friend so he needs to stfu.  Similarly, Josh's friend needed to stfu to Aika.  The guy acts more like Josh's jealous girlfriend than his friend.  Same with Elizabeth's sisters.  I don't get friends and family who think they can stick their nose into other people's business like that, it's weird.

• Love 5