Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good point.  Annie doesn't seem to realize that an alcoholic will easily lie, defend, deflect, use, and fake it when it comes to their disease.  An alcoholic's promise, without some serious treatment and care, is not really something you can put much faith in.  She seems to never had encountered it before.  She's in for a rude awakening. 

I got the feeling that when they were touring Hollywood and walking on the beach near Santa Monica, the DTs hadn't hit yet.  And I was bothered that she said, "No drinking until wedding day."  That's an open invitation for him to start getting totally soused again.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I got the feeling that when they were touring Hollywood and walking on the beach near Santa Monica, the DTs hadn't hit yet.  And I was bothered that she said, "No drinking until wedding day."  That's an open invitation for him to start getting totally soused again.

Do most alcoholics who dry out get the DTs?  I always thought it was mainly severe alcoholics who got them.  At any rate, if Annie is willing to stick to her guns and not marry him if he drinks before the wedding, I think the challenge was a very, good strategy.  If he can simply refrain from drinking for 3 months, he probably is not really an alcoholic.  If he fails the test, maybe he will get help with his problem, and Annie can decide if she still wants to marry him while he tries to recover (Don't do it, Annie!).  If he keeps drinking and denies he has a problem, she needs to borrow from Nikki and Chris or tell Mom and Dad to mortgage the water buffaloes and get get on the next flight home to Thailand.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Do most alcoholics who dry out get the DTs?  I always thought it was mainly severe alcoholics who got them.  At any rate, if Annie is willing to stick to her guns and not marry him if he drinks before the wedding, I think the challenge was a very, good strategy.  If he can simply refrain from drinking for 3 months, he probably is not really an alcoholic.  If he fails the test, maybe he will get help with his problem, and Annie can decide if she still wants to marry him while he tries to recover (Don't do it, Annie!).  If he keeps drinking and denies he has a problem, she needs to borrow from Nikki and Chris or tell Mom and Dad to mortgage the water buffaloes and get get on the next flight home to Thailand.  

Fortunately, I only know about alcoholics and withdrawal from the internet.  

Nikki and Chris seem to recognize that David is a problem drinker.  Nikki is frustrated because Chris doesn't confront David, even though he is aware of the problem.  As others have opined, David must know where the bodies are buried, so Chris tiptoes around his issues.

Each week's episode divulges additional aspects of each participant's personality . . . and few of them are looking better every week.  David used to be a silly, pathetic man whose worst crime was being a moocher.  Now - he's an unemployed mean drunk who doesn't have enough sense to tell his adult kids about his fiancee.  He's just going to spring her on them when they get to Kentucky.  This will likely not end well.

• Love 4

I couldn't figure out why Nicole's father decided to sponsor Azan. ODD. 

My guess is that it was to get at Nicole's mother.

If they really wanted Azan out of the picture, all they'd need to do is refuse to sponsor him. Nicole would call him and say, "Azan, baby, guess what? Break out the biscuits because May and I are coming to live with you in Morocco permanently!"

Azan would cancel his social media accounts so quickly her head would spin.

He did it because Nicole threatened to take May out of the country to live with Azan permanently if no one would sponsor him. Nicole may be stupid, but she is also clever and manipulative. She knew what to threaten her father with to get him to sponsor Azan. I think Nicole's parents are terrified of Nicole being May's sole adult guardian, for good reason.

If Azan had hit and shoved Nicole the way Nicole hit and shoved Azan, there would be a whole discussion about horrible Middle Eastern men and how violent they are.

• Love 14
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I have no difficulty believing it, she loves sex and is emotionally needy. 

I think yes for the first time, and no for the second time.

I think she tried to score the second time, and then told him about it to make him jealous and get some kind of reaction from him, like, anything.

So, the second time was not for lack of trying. Probably yes and yes, then, but given the fact that she'd do anything for a reaction, it's still murky.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think she wanted to be the first in her town to go to Hollywood. That's how she described it.  So, remind me, who is sponsoring Annie? Is it David's friend? 

I couldn't figure out why Nicole's father decided to sponsor Azan. ODD. 

Good question.  David Poor can't possibly be able to sponsor her, can he?   Would Chris really sponsor her?  If so, maybe those poolside Thai massages don't seem quite as unreasonable. :)

I think Nicole's father "just wants her to be happy" and, as as result, is indulging her foolish whim.  Or it could be because he thinks it is his only chance at marrying his obnoxious, crazy, spoiled daughter off. :)

Luis: So much party, so much drinks, so much strippers- it's just a special day!

Molly: can I do whatever I want to?

Luis: yes but when you come back I check you everywhere (ewwwww)

Alcoholics who get DTS can't get through the day without booze, basically they need booze to feel normal. Their body must have it to function. Usually they can't even clear there head until they have a little bit of booze in their system. My brother is like this so I know. He doesn't really eat food. If he stops drinking suddenly his body goes into withdrawal. I don't think David is a daily drinker like that,

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

Hey Nicole, where's your kid while you're out in the streets beating up on your boyfriend? 

Asking for a friend.

May was being tended to and entertained by Azan's female relatives, (mostly a little girl of around 10 who was painting her nails), much as I suspected she would be. That poor kid is going to have a succession of "daddies", each one skeevier than the last.

13 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Josh, your friend is in love with you.  He will never 'come around' and Josh is no prize.

Hitler Youth friend is carrying a torch higher than the Statue of Liberty for Josh. He doesn't ping. He's like a gong.

10 hours ago, Nowhere said:

They're like, "IT'S YOUR LAST NIGHT OF FREEDOM!!! Wooo!! You'll thank us later." What?? Are they going to be sacrificing her to the gods at the wedding? She'll be ok and I'm sure she'll still experience life. They act like she's dying. It seems to me they cheat at their bachelorette parties. And it was so weird when they asked her where Andrei thinks she is and what he thinks she doing. She was like, (paraphrasing)"....uh...here...he knows what I'm doing." Do these women constantly lie? They are disgusting human beings. 

Right? Last night of freedom? Its not like she'll be vanishing into the women's quarters, never to be seen again. The one sister who was saying "when my boyfriend goes out of town I just go nuts!" Really dear? You sit at home crocheting when he's home, but when he goes away you're lacing up your bustier, strapping on your five inch heels and hitting the clubs? Sounds like a match made in heaven. Does your boyfriend go to strip clubs and get trashed when he's away, too?

Libby's sisters act like they own her. This whole business of "you don't know her! she's always had the last word! She loves to party, she loves Vegas!" was just stupid. Anyone else here's mother think you still like unicorns because you did when you were eleven? These guys seem to have this notion that Libby is the same person she was when she was a child.

And the one who said "we'll help you lie to him if we have to!" should never, ever get married. That is not how a husband and wife handle things. In what world is that cute?

2 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

David and Evelyn and FAMILY- Watching David go at with Evelyn, Evelyn’s brother, Evelyn her  brother and her parents is like watching dueling factions of assholes. And there is some stiff competition for the title of supreme asshole. I have some sympathy for David because he is not on his home turf, he is not communicating in his native language, and it is often times an unfair fight with four on one. I can kind of forgive David for coming off as a douche because dealing with the Clampetts of New Hampshire has to be exhausting. David may be an elitist, but Evelyn’s whole clan are just ignorant elitists. They think that Claremont is the bestest place in whole world – and have NEVER lived anywhere else. How do you work with people like that? I loved Evelyn’s Mom’s argument – If you think Claremont is bad now, you should have seen it 10 years ago when it was a real shit hole. If you had, you would be so totally impressed with the apples, the one Mexican restaurant and all the for sale signs now. I mean, does she even listen to herself?  She should totally do the marketing for Claremont. “Come to Claremont. It’s less of a backwater than ever before.” The whole family is so fucking self absorbed by their wants, needs, comfort level. And how stupid is Solomon lecturing David on how evil he would be to take his sister away from him when that is exactly what his sister did to David. Again, can these people get out of their own assholes to actually listen to the shit they are spewing. “I have been to Switzerland. The airport is gorgeous.” I mean Jesus Christ, there would not be enough vodka in the whole of New Hampshire to keep me from going Nicole on these people.

Evelyn's mother got weirdly defensive about that sacred jewel of White Mountains, Claremont. "I was born here!". Um, everyone was born somewhere. David was born in Granada, for example.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

Luis: So much party, so much drinks, so much strippers- it's just a special day!

Molly: can I do whatever I want to?

Luis: yes but when you come back I check you everywhere (ewwwww)

Alcoholics who get DTS can't get through the day without booze, basically they need booze to feel normal. Their body must have it to function. Usually they can't even clear their head until they have a little bit of booze in their system. My brother is like this so I know. He doesn't really eat food. If he stops drinking suddenly his body goes into withdrawal. I don't think David is a daily drinker like that, But he does have a big problem.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I used to record this and watch TWD.  Now it's the other way around.  These couples are way scarier than any zombie.

Same here. Negan would be afraid of a monster like Mark (of Mark and Nikki). 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Not necessarily.  These days Mexican food has become so mainstream in America that you don't necessarily need Mexicans to cook it.  The same is true of many other sorts of ethnic foods.  I see Hispanics running pizza places and Chinese running Mexican places in NY.  It's not like there is something in people's DNA that makes them cook better ethnic food.  If you have the recipe and the ingredients, and better yet if you learned from authentic chefs from those places, there is no reason you can't cook ethnic food very well.  

And that's my point.  Mainstream Mexican food is the worst, tasteless, bland crap. I live in Arizona we've we have essentially two types of Mexican food restaurants, those that serve traditional Sonoran style Mexican food (the good stuff) and those that cater to American tourists and Arizona newbies from the east coast and Midwest.  The tourist food is the mainstream stream junk.  The salsa tastes like catsup.  It's not the ownership really.  One of my favorite Mexican restaurants is owned by a Greek man.  I can guarantee the New Hampshire restaurant is not serving good Mexican food. I've tasted easy coast and Midwest Mexican food and it is garbage.  For one thing, they don't have the right ingredients.  The best peppers and chillies are grown in Arizona and New Mexico.  We also have a wide selection. In many grocery stores the section for tortillas is larger than the bread selection. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I know a lot of the  bickering is set up by production, but the Azan/Nicole fight segment was the real thing.  The camera crew arrived right in the middle of the melee.  I don't understand why Azan doesn't just tell her to go home.  What's in it for him?  Why is he putting up with this? I don't sense that he's dead keen for the green card.  He seems content in his homeland, going to gym and coffee with friend.   I don't understand why he's putting up with her abuse?

Because once Azan is settled in the US, other family can come over. That’s why his family is “all in” with Nicole. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

As for Annie.  I think challenging David Poor to not drink until the wedding is a pretty good test to see if he is really an alcoholic.  If he can do it, he probably is not, but if he can't abstain until the wedding he very likely is.  

I'm pretty sure he's an alcoholic. The fear in his eyes when he agreed to not drink until after the wedding pretty much explains everything.  He knows he can't physically or mentally or willingly do it. It's like he was thinking "Oh sit, what have I just agreed to"?? 

• Love 14

Why do I think Uncle Jess is giving Luis strip club money from his government check, disability or otherwise.

Who sets a 10pm curfew (or any curfew) for a bachelor party? It's a set up for failure.

When does it dawn on the brides when they bring the fiance to the US (knowing it is the fiance visa) that the wedding planning should be well under way.  Molly is panicked about wedding details, Luis could not care less.  Luis will be the house husband and nanny.

The other thought I had was the bride might have to relinquish that dream wedding idea, the money is being spent on the visa and 10 years of financial support.

What is it with these people that try to complicate their lives so much?

Did we miss the huge blow up that Josh mentions to his shit stirring friend?  If I were Aika I'd be pissed about Josh talking me down to his friend, a pissed off Aika with a gun is probably not a good thing.

I have decided that Josh does not have his top teeth.

• Love 14
50 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

www.liviraelingerie.com    There are several YouTube videos.  Just search "Livi Rae."

Ok..now I like Molly a teensy bit more: (she's getting a lot of hate for this ad.)

https://www.allure.com/story/bra-shop-livi-rae-lingerie-is-going-viral

The ads, which launched at the brand's Kennesaw, GA storefront last month, feature models of different sizes, shapes, colors and abilities: Tisa Edge, an African-American model; Stacey Shortley, a wheelchair-bound model with Multiple Sclerosis; and plus-size models Marie Layne and Bubble Bordeaux. Co-owner Cynthia Decker told Yahoo!: "We wanted to show people that they didn’t have to have perfect skin, bone structure or bodies to feel beautiful."

(still think she's dumb as a rock about her personal life though.)

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

And that's my point.  Mainstream Mexican food is the worst, tasteless, bland crap. I live in Arizona we've we have essentially two types of Mexican food restaurants, those that serve traditional Sonoran style Mexican food (the good stuff) and those that cater to American tourists and Arizona newbies from the east coast and Midwest.  The tourist food is the mainstream stream junk.  The salsa tastes like catsup.  It's not the ownership really.  One of my favorite Mexican restaurants is owned by a Greek man.  I can guarantee the New Hampshire restaurant is not serving good Mexican food. I've tasted easy coast and Midwest Mexican food and it is garbage.  For one thing, they don't have the right ingredients.  The best peppers and chillies are grown in Arizona and New Mexico.  We also have a wide selection. In many grocery stores the section for tortillas is larger than the bread selection. 

Rick Bayless has Michelin award winning Mexican style restaurants in Chicago. Lots of authentic food here in the Midwest. Small towns everywhere have less to choose from but I've been occasionally surprised by finding a good place to eat in a small market. I feel the same way about David as I do about Azan-no one is forcing you.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

I agree that there are some bad, bland restaurants out there and I've not been to Arizona, but don't discount someone from Florida as not knowing good Mexican or Latin food.  We have plenty of grocery stores that cater to Mexican, Cuban, and other types of food.  And there are plenty of places to get good tortillas in Florida.  If the owner is knowledgeable, I'm sure they can get the ingredients they need.  Plus, I thought it was short sided of David to decide that no one from Florida could possibly be Latino or speak Spanish.  Seriously, there's lots of diversity in Florida.  He's just quick to turn his nose up at everything.  He should try to make a little effort.  

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Rick Bayless has Michelin award winning Mexican style restaurants in Chicago. Lots of authentic food here in the Midwest. Small towns everywhere have less to choose from but I've been occasionally surprised by finding a good place to eat in a small market. I feel the same way about David as I do about Azan-no one is forcing you.

The award winning restaurants are not necessarily good Mexican food. They might have good food, but not really authentic Mexican.  Good, authentic Mexican food is not fancy or expensive and it's not in Chicago.  In my experience, the best Mexican food is found in local dives, places not on the tourist maps and in parts of town that are sketchy.  If you come to Arizona, I can take you to places that have real Sonoran food, not fancy food, that is outstanding, far better than fancy Chicago food. You won't pay more than $10, but you should go during daylight.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Normades said:

I agree that there are some bad, bland restaurants out there and I've not been to Arizona, but don't discount someone from Florida as not knowing good Mexican or Latin food.  We have plenty of grocery stores that cater to Mexican, Cuban, and other types of food.  And there are plenty of places to get good tortillas in Florida.  If the owner is knowledgeable, I'm sure they can get the ingredients they need.  Plus, I thought it was short sided of David to decide that no one from Florida could possibly be Latino or speak Spanish.  Seriously, there's lots of diversity in Florida.  He's just quick to turn his nose up at everything.  He should try to make a little effort.  

I haven't had Mexican food in Florida. I suspect it is different than Arizona which in the Sonoran desert.  Florida probably has more Cuban influence. The really bad Mexican food is found in fancy Arizona restaurants that cater to the tourists.  The food is overpriced and found in places like Scottsdale where lots of people come to vacation. These mainstream restaurants are very popular, but they are not authentic Mexican.  They cater to the east coast, Midwest palate. 

9 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

The award winning restaurants are not necessarily good Mexican food. They might have good food, but not really authentic Mexican.  Good, authentic Mexican food is not fancy or expensive and it's not in Chicago.  In my experience, the best Mexican food is found in local dives, places not on the tourist maps and in parts of town that are sketchy.  If you come to Arizona, I can take you to places that have real Sonoran food, not fancy food, that is outstanding, far better than fancy Chicago food. You won't pay more than $10, but you should go during daylight.

Bayless has a cooking/travel show where he spends a lot of time in Mexico eating and cooking authentic Mexican food of all types, and brings the recipes back to his restaurant in Chicago.   He seems to really strive for authenticity.  

• Love 4

I don't think David Pour is an alcoholic in the traditional sense.  I don't think he needs alcohol to function.  What he is (in my opinion) is a binge drinker.  When he does drink, his point is to get drunk.  This isn't healthy, but it's a bit different from straight alcoholism.  Going until the wedding without drinking is totally something he can do with little issue.  But then he can go back to his ways easy peasy.  He needs some sort of counselling.  For his sucky life in general, not just alcohol.  

• Love 8
15 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I hated David's mocking of Annie's accent.  It was so mean and cheap.

And WHAT he was saying when he was mocking her, anyone else catch that? It was the fact that she got mad at him the night before for being a drunk asshole and telling him she'd sleep on the floor. What better way to address that then to get drunk AGAIN and make fun of your fiance's accent at the same time as you do her reasonable anger for being drunk.

• Love 8

From the Revolution Cantina website: Our vision for Revolution Cantina has always been to offer fresh Mexican & South American flavors in both a traditional, and non-traditional application.

And you can get great, and authentic, food from most any culture most anywhere nowadays.  You need someone with a love of the cuisine, and access to ingredients.  Can I get authentic Mexican at more places in the Southwest?  Yup.  Is it the only place outside of Mexico that I can?  Nope.

To bring it back to the show...  This restaurant isn't just Mexican.  It's Latin of many types.  It actually looks pretty tasty.  But it is definitely not Spanish.  I think David is just in a "bitch for the sake of bitching" space right now.  

And I found it interesting that while Solomon and Mother Evelyn were fiercely defending Claremont, Father Evelyn was quiet.  I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he thinks it's up to the couple to work out such issues, without a hard press by the family.

9 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I'm not sure if David Poor is an alcoholic yet.  

If David can't stop drinking until he's passed out and he'll drink even though he knows bad shit will happen when he drinks, he might have a problem.  

I'm in no way saying that he doesn't have a problem, just that I don't think he's necessarily an alcoholic.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

There might be racism in Claremont, but there has never been a large minority population in NH, or VT or ME for that matter.  Actually, the non-white population of NH tripled from 2% to 6% between 1990 and 2010.  If racism was rampant up there, I doubt more minorities than ever would be moving there.   The low number of blacks in that region is probably largely due to the very low number of slaves.  The highest number of slaves in a Census in NH was 157 (0.1% of the population) in 1790.  Nearly, all the blacks in NH would be have to have migrated north, to a rural area, or be descendants of such migrants.  Most of the blacks who migrated North moved to big cities like Chicago, Detroit, NYC, etc., where work could be found,  as opposed to rural areas in the North.  

I know of the Great Migration and that it tended towards factory cities. Unfortunately, things weren't great in the north or south.

The presence of a few minorities in a northern rural town today doesn't mean the racism goes away. And the lack of a large population of minorities doesn't mean they just never wanted to live there. Across the nation, minorities were run out of or otherwise barred from moving to designated whites only areas. And such towns were everywhere. Even up north. People were vested in keeping things that way.

Ever heard of the Green Guide? It was a book for black motorists to tell them where they could eat and lodge while traveling... and places to avoid because of segregation or sundown status. Through experience, word always gets to minorities where they are and aren't welcome. 

And lynching a biracial child in a majority white town definitely does't demonstrate welcoming arms.

I can't fault David Spain for picking up on Claremont's homogenous nature and how unsettling it is for him as an outsider from Spain.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

And lynching a biracial child in a majority white town definitely does't demonstrate welcoming arms.

I can't fault David Spain for picking up on Claremont's homogenous nature and how unsettling it is for him as an outsider from Spain.

I mean why would anybody want to live in a place where the bolded happened, or was even attempted.  

Yes to all of that.   I don't even think Evelyn or her family even considered that.  They sat there with blank looks on their faces like, "huh?  But our town is PERFECT, why would anybody want to leave?"

• Love 11
43 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

If you come to Arizona, I can take you to places that have real Sonoran food, not fancy food, that is outstanding, far better than fancy Chicago food. You won't pay more than $10, but you should go during daylight.

I'm in AZ . . . would love some names of places to try for good Mexican food!  PM me!!!

Just watching now.  Re David Spain and Evelyn - They should not be married, or really, even friends.  They have nothing together.  That said, why not compromise?  He needs a larger city for his international business degree.  She wants to stay nearer to home.  I understand wanting to stay near to family, I have a radius that I won't live beyond (3 hours/150 miles).  So, how about Boston?  If he complains about the bad winters there, he should have thought of that before leaving sunny Spain.  

• Love 7

Fun fact - Nicole you are embarrassing yourself and your family. If the cameras were not on her would have smacked you .

Such an Oompa Loompa!!  He doesn't want to talk to you because you have Cheeto breath and BO. You probably keep trying to grab Wee Willy. 

Edited by booboopbedoo
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I mean why would anybody want to live in a place where the bolded happened, or was even attempted.  

Yes to all of that.   I don't even think Evelyn or her family even considered that.  They sat there with blank looks on their faces like, "huh?  But our town is PERFECT, why would anybody want to leave?"

Are there no hate crimes in Virginia where David wants to move?  A single incident, especially one involving children 13 and younger, does not necessarily mean there is a pattern of racism.  If you don't want to live in a place where anything horrible has ever happened, you probably need to head to outer space.  

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Bridget said:

Am I the only one who thought that it looked like Nicole also pushed Azan (in the low back/butt) as he walked up the stairs?

It looked to me like he tripped and/or lost his balance (unless that's hidden too, along with his damn mind!) because she pushed him, on purpose, as he was ascending to the staircase landing.

I was so taken aback by that, I rewound it to check and that's what I saw too. 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

I don't think David Pour is an alcoholic in the traditional sense.  I don't think he needs alcohol to function.  What he is (in my opinion) is a binge drinker.  When he does drink, his point is to get drunk.  This isn't healthy, but it's a bit different from straight alcoholism.  Going until the wedding without drinking is totally something he can do with little issue.  But then he can go back to his ways easy peasy.  He needs some sort of counselling.  For his sucky life in general, not just alcohol.  

Bingo-  he is a binge drinker. And did he have that weight loss surgery? someone pointed out they get drunk quicker. But Annie says he just keeps pouring and pouring- more more more more. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

Just watching now.  Re David Spain and Evelyn - They should not be married, or really, even friends.  They have nothing together.  That said, why not compromise?  He needs a larger city for his international business degree.  She wants to stay nearer to home.  I understand wanting to stay near to family, I have a radius that I won't live beyond (3 hours/150 miles).  So, how about Boston?  If he complains about the bad winters there, he should have thought of that before leaving sunny Spain.  

I suggested Boston in an earlier thread.  It is a little over 2 hours from Claremont.  If they found a home in the NW suburbs of Boston, they could be about an hour from her family and from Boston.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Molly, let Luis go. He is telling you he loves his single life. You are in for a world of hurt if you marry him. You both are. 

Molly is looking for a wife. Luis, as despicable as his comments were to Olivia, is sitting around doing nothing. He really has no role in her life that he can fulfill right now. He needs a job or something of interest to do. Hanging out with her children is not something he is qualified for or wants to do. His party mode was revealed at the batchelor party. Maybe he thought the party would continue when he got to the states. But Molly did not get her success from slacking off and partying. She has to be respected for  her success.

Nicole is headed for a stoning or beheading. It must be difficult for observers in his family or neighborhood to see her slapping him around. Make no mistake, Azan is not afraid of her. He is just smart about it. And he is probably calling her all kinds of dirty camels in his head!

I don't get friends inserting themselves in other adults' business. David's friend's wife is right though. It is time for him to do something. But, then, we are not sure if her speech to him moving was contrived for the show. He'd said something about being there until he got on his feet. IDK, really.

Andrei, did anyone else catch him telling the sister how to pronounce his name? At least she wasn't as bad as Elizabeth. They all sounded like third graders making up Pig Latin. Actually cringe when she starts speaking...

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Are there no hate crimes in Virginia where David wants to move?  A single incident, especially one involving children 13 and younger, does not necessarily mean there is a pattern of racism.  If you don't want to live in a place where anything horrible has ever happened, you probably need to head to outer space.  

He was asking for diversity. This is different from him calling the place racist. if it is 96% white, that it is not diverse. He would like a more diverse place to live. I wish he would say where in Virginia. Richmond area is diverse. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I never said there were no hate crimes in Virginia.

My point was Evelyn's family acted quite clueless at what David was telling them.  They were like, "huh?"  The response you made, that there are hate crimes everywhere, even in Spain, would have been better.

However, that town where Evelyn lives doesn't look diverse at all.  Sorry, just saying.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

I have a solution to this season.

1) Switch Davids.  Send David Penguin Joker Bhatman to NH to dry out with the Band Evelyn and find religion and apples.  By the time he figures out how to make applejack enough time will have passed for him to be soberish.  He can open a Thai restaurant right next to the recording studio, THE breakfast place, and the Floridian chalupa stand.  Send David Spain to LA, where there is good authentic Mexican (and Spanish...) food, parties, etc.  He enjoys himself for a while, returns to the loving arms of his family including his forsaken sister at the end of 90 days, much the wiser and able to find an American of appropriate age and hometown.  

2) Switch Luis and Andrrrrrrei.  Elipsabeth's sisters can take him to the strip club with them, he can fall in love with and marry one of the sisters (asking dad nicely first).  Andrrrrrei can explain to Molly that other people may have ideas about how they fit into your existing life in the US that are not exactly consonant with yours.   Then he can return to Elipse (I kind of like them) or if either of them has rethought things, he can bounce back to Ireland.

3a) Switch Azan and Josh.  Not that Azan needs to hang with Aika, but I want Josh out of the country, and Azan has put in his time, shouldn't he get to see the US?  

3b) Aika and Azan can roadtrip back to LA (where all the airports are).  Either Annie or Aika can maybe marry Brother Nikki.  If it's Aika, she becomes legal to work and can get a job if she wants good jewelry.  Brother N and Nikki Herself can have some discussions with Azan so he can work a few things out about his life, because that guy needs a bit of working through things.  He is good with diapers and can offer some unpaid help in that house which is not as distasteful to think about as the previously proposed plan.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, brillia79 said:

I know of the Great Migration and that it tended towards factory cities. Unfortunately, things weren't great in the north or south.

The presence of a few minorities in a northern rural town today doesn't mean the racism goes away. And the lack of a large population of minorities doesn't mean they just never wanted to live there. Across the nation, minorities were run out of or otherwise barred from moving to designated whites only areas. And such towns were everywhere. Even up north. People were vested in keeping things that way.

Ever heard of the Green Guide? It was a book for black motorists to tell them where they could eat and lodge while traveling... and places to avoid because of segregation or sundown status. Through experience, word always gets to minorities where they are and aren't welcome. 

They stopped publishing the Green Book 50 years ago.  Things are very different in 2017 than they were in 1966 or 1926.  

There is a site that tracks possible sundown towns.  According to it, there were 13 towns (Claremont not among them) in NH that may have been sundown towns at some point, but only 1 (Lancaster) is listed as "probable".  Most of the others are listed as "probably not, but still very few blacks".  But most of those towns saw large increases in the black population from 1970 to 2000 (the latest Census info on the site).  For example, from 3 to 149 in one town, 0 to 66 in one, 34 to 305 in another and so on.  

https://sundown.tougaloo.edu/sundowntownsshow.php?state=NH

The non-white percentage of the population in NH tripled from 1990 to 2010, so it seems that a lot of people are getting the message that they are welcome.  

• Love 2

Molly and Luis - say what you will, but dang...she has gorgeous hair!  and I love it that she didn't give a crap about having her roots done on air!  But Molly dear...Luis isn't having difficulties with cultural adjustments.  He's just a dick.  

Nicole and Azan - My. God.  He has zero interest in her.  Sorry to say, I've been in relationships like that.  You push and try to get them to "open up," but it turns out they are saying EVERYTHING by not saying a thing.  He HATES her.  

• Love 10
12 hours ago, gavinmac said:

In defense of Josh (I can't believe I just wrote that) Aika is insisting on a $13,000+ , 2 carat ring.   That's the equivalent of about 3-4 years pay for the average Filipino.  And when the storekeeper mentioned the price, she said, with a straight face, that it wasn't so expensive. 

Josh giving her the ex-wife's ring was a classless move, but she has more than a bit of Anfisa in her with her financial demands to be "taken care of."

Being a 36 year old tattooed ex-bargirl and living in a shack with your impoverished parents in a remote village in the Philippines is not a good life.  Her reasons for marrying him are just as self-serving as his reasons for marrying her. 

I guess we all have our standards. Not saying her life is good at all, but that's all she knows (?), life with Josh is a big unknown, although he's already acting like an arrogant asshole. I'd rather be alone than wish I was but YMMV. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, gavinmac said:

In defense of Josh (I can't believe I just wrote that) Aika is insisting on a $13,000+ , 2 carat ring.   That's the equivalent of about 3-4 years pay for the average Filipino.  And when the storekeeper mentioned the price, she said, with a straight face, that it wasn't so expensive. 

Josh giving her the ex-wife's ring was a classless move, but she has more than a bit of Anfisa in her with her financial demands to be "taken care of."

Being a 36 year old tattooed ex-bargirl and living in a shack with your impoverished parents in a remote village in the Philippines is not a good life.  Her reasons for marrying him are just as self-serving as his reasons for marrying her. 

I guess we all have our standards. Not saying her life is good at all, but that's all she knows (?), life with Josh is a big unknown, although he's already acting like an arrogant asshole. I'd rather be alone than wish I was but YMMV. 

libby's sister says that Andrrrei is controlling and doesn't want her to be controlled.  Yet, they are insisting that she go to a strip club.  Obtuse much?  Libby is making sense.  Damn, she is making me agree with her.  

• Love 5
17 hours ago, PityFree said:

All of Evil-lyn’s gross apple chomping made me dry heave. 

Annie talking about the sex shop was adorable. 

Yes, another case of "her mouth should have it's own show". Maybe she thinks it's sexy.

17 hours ago, Neurochick said:

WTF is Molly wearing?

Are you talking about her sunset top w/unmatching beige bra straps at the sides ensemble?

• Love 3