Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Models Off Duty

• Start Topic

Looking at the final looks, when watching I had only focused on Brandon's "Star Wars" aesthetic (I'd read the comments here first). What I noticed now is that it looks like she wore those white pants to garden and she kneeled in the dirt. Not a great look.

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 5.58.22 PM.png

• Love 16

I've been puzzling over Brandon's look since day 1 - sometimes liking what he does, sometimes disliking it, but always feelinlg like it's ALMOST something I've seen before.  Looking at the photo above it finally hit me: I've been buying "repurposed" or "upcycled" clothing for a few years mainly off Etsy, and while there are a milion different ways to repurpose/upcycle by taking different garments and pieces of fabric and putting them together for a one-of-a-kind look, that is very much what Brandon's stuff reminds me of.  Not judging that one way or another, but I'm curious to kow if it strikes anyone else the same way.

eta:  One difference is that Brandon's stuff is a bit more urban and hip, while a lot of repurposed stuff is more on the hippie/gypsy side.

Edited by jrlr
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Looking at the final looks, when watching I had only focused on Brandon's "Star Wars" aesthetic (I'd read the comments here first). What I noticed now is that it looks like she wore those white pants to garden and she kneeled in the dirt. Not a great look.

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 5.58.22 PM.png

Star Wars aesthetic!  Perfect!

May the Swatch be with you.

• Love 24

I had forgotten until I read it In a recap that  Claire walked into the workroom on runway day and said something like "the first thing we have to do today is finish Shawn's pants".  Yes, designers have helped each other in the past, but can anyone point to a time when a designer walked into the workroom any day and said "ok, first on my agenda today is finish another designer's pants?  I don't think so.

And now she had the audacity to "design" an outfit she already wore in front of all of them.   She needed to do something quickly because most of her time was spent on Shawn's outfit, and I guess if it's good enough for Puma...

We're at a point in the competition where the judges really need to address this quickly.  Because if it isn't addressed in the next episode or two, the competition is reaching the point where talented designers are going to be sent home while the twins continue to advance by cheating.  And once that happens, PR loses any credibility they may have left. 

There is a production crew in the workroom.  I don't believe for one second the judges are not aware of  how the twins are colluding.

In all fairness, they may not have made the connection between Claire's design and the outfit she wore.  If they had, they should have eliminated her without question. 

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 16
13 minutes ago, mwell345 said:

There is a production crew in the workroom.  I don't believe for one second the judges are not aware of  how the twins are colluding.

What the judges supposedly don't know I take with a grain of salt.   They frequently seem to make observations that provide a lay-up to rehash earlier drama in the workroom.   Not to mention they claim it's an anonymous runway, but then a model struts down wearing a hijab or an African headwrap and we're supposed to believe that they don't know whose is whose?  Sure, and when we get to that rooftop in Brooklyn I'll point out a bridge I know is for sale.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 15

I absolutely believe the judges get clued in to some things ahead of time, but I also think some things are kept back.  None of them are actors and their reactions to certain situations are just laughably faked.  And of course, when a designer insists on using certain accessories or makes the same garment choices over & over, the judges will know.  

• Love 1

I definitely think the montage they showed of every time Claire-Hair came over to fix/help/do something for Shawn-Lawn HAD to be setting up something and is proof that the camera folks and producers caught much of what happened. I don't know the real-time schedule of how things come down there but can't help but wonder if Heidi's "one ... OR MORE ... of you will be eliminated tonight" (I THINK that was two weeks ago, not this most recent episode?) and then only one designer being auf'ed may have been setting things up for a double-elimination of the Indeedy-Duo down the road. 

Or maybe that's wishful thinking. 

• Love 4

Is there anything the twins have done that we haven't seen dozens of times over the years--including in this season? 

We have designers helping out the ass this season. We always have. We had Anya win. 

We have had designers copy famous outfits by well-known designers. Many times. Hell, if you want to talk about ripping designs off, Brandon is reproducing the same look over and over, but he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

Amy's an asshole. Not like she's doing anything fresh or new, either. 

I may find the twins annoying as fuck, but I am actively disliking everyone else's hypocrisy. These assholes may finally kill the show for me. From production on down, I seriously despise them all now, except for Kentaro. 

• Love 4

Would it be possible to get a thread dedicated to just the models? They are such a big part of the show, this season.

Edited to add: I mean they are a big part of every season -- but we are getting "Talking Heads" with them this season, which is different.

Edited by nb360
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, nb360 said:

Would it be possible to get a thread dedicated to just the models? They are such a big part of the show, this season.

Edited to add: I mean they are a big part of every season -- but we are getting "Talking Heads" with them this season, which is different.

You can make one. Do you know how to do that? 

• Love 1

I haaaaate the twins, but there's a part of me that hopes -- like we used to speculate the American Idol bottom 3 wasn't the actual bottom 3 -- that they keep putting one in the top and one in the bottom, to the point where the one who ends up in the bottom gets so fed up and turns on her sister. If "helping" is allowed, I want to see it continually sink the "helper" and then maybe she'll "help" herself to designing better clothes.

Bonus points if the judges go on and on about how wonderful one twin is (without her ever winning) and continually rag on the second. No power in the 'verse is going to tear them apart -- they must turn on each other of their own freewill.

Or getting kicked off for cheating would be fine, too.

• Love 3
On 9/22/2017 at 2:43 PM, Archery said:

Why would the mere mention of the word Africa be offensive?  The statement wouldn't make any sense if you replaced Africa with Europe or Canada. 

On 9/22/2017 at 4:22 PM, dwarmed said:

He didn't just say the word Africa. He used the term 'African print'. Perhaps he thought assuming a particular print style was connected with a particular part of the world might be considered racist. 

I can imagine circumstances where associating a style of clothing with a particular race or nationality could be offensive. Not this one, but he wasn't sure. 

I think a lot of people would rather err on the side of not saying something rather than unintentionally giving offense... and honestly, especially considering he's coming from another culture, I can totally see his concern. And as to the mere use of a country/place name being racist, well... I had Australian coworkers who used to call the game of Telephone 'Chinese whispers,' which I at first was all 'sure, makes as much sense as any other name' and then realized the implication was/could be that those wacky foreigners couldn't remember the English phrases spoken to them. O_O I mean, that's clearly one we shouldn't be using, right? 

But then this summer, I was looking for a writing utensil (coincidentally, for practicing kanji), and I first asked the cashier where I could find the China pencils, then the grease pencils, then at her continued blank look, 'those thick pencils with the string to expose more of them.' Those she knew, and she directed me to them, but as I was looking, I couldn't help wondering if my first instinct had been based on what I called them a million years ago when I was young - like sitting 'Indian-style' in elementary school - and was totally racist now. I still don't know, but when I found them, they literally had China marker printed on the shaft, so... I got nothin'. I wonder where the name came from... 

tl;dr don't think Kentaro is racist, just careful. ;-)

eta apparently they can be used to write on porcelain or china - makes sense... And that wording is used more often in the U.K., which I guess explains my younger, Canadian self using it. 

Edited by leslieo54
  • Love 9
On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, Snappy said:

I agree. I also understand why he may not understand what may or may not be considered racist. First there's the cultural differences. Being from Japan he wants to clarify what is acceptable rather than offend. Second, even people of every race, born in the USA misunderstand the meaning of the word "racist". I have to start the year off with a lesson on racism with my students because they think anytime something is called "black" (i.e. black shoes, "He's black.", etc.) its racist. While racism in never a good thing, political correctness has also gotten to the point of ridiculousness.

I prefer being PC over being insensitive.  All countries have racism probably, but African-Americans have a very unique history that is different than the black experience in other countries.  Kentaro seems to be aware of this, but just isn't sure what that entails. 

• Love 11
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:24 AM, justawatcher said:

I have two questions:

1- what is up with the harnesses? Are we being played by the designers? First it was Michael and his sex club fetish wear (self described in his bio). Then it was Brandon. All of a sudden, Brandon's a Dom. Then Samantha turns up in one. Swear, if Anaya pops up in straps before the season is over...

2- if you found out you were one of the 100 or so contestants who were going to get the opportunity to go show your work to the in person audition team, would you not make a side trip to NYC and go scout Mood? Seems to me anyone whop was serious about being on this game show would know what fabric Mood has, where it is located in the store, how it combines with other similar fabrics, etc. And if you couldn't get to Mood, wouldn't you do that at your local fabric store? And wouldn't you have about 20 designs stashed away in your brain that you could pull from depending on the challenge? That you knew how to pattern? That you practiced doing in the challenge time?

I would.

And every year there is at least one person who whines they've never done pants, or menswear.  I'm glad Brandon is doing well, but it's almost unforgivable he showed up with absolutely no experience making clothes for women.  Has he even watched the show?

• Love 4
11 hours ago, millennium said:

What the judges supposedly don't know I take with a grain of salt.   They frequently seem to make observations that provide a lay-up to rehash earlier drama in the workroom.   Not to mention they claim it's an anonymous runway, but then a model struts down wearing a hijab or an African headwrap and we're supposed to believe that they don't know whose is whose?  Sure, and when we get to that rooftop in Brooklyn I'll point out a bridge I know is for sale.

Lol...I heard that saying only we called it the London Bridge. 

(There was an actual bridge over the Thames that was sold, disassembled and rebuilt in Arizona)

• Love 4

Kentaro's model just looked so cool. She'd absolutely turn heads on the street. People would be thinking, "Are those shorts or a skirt? Oh, they're shorts? could I wear shorts over leather leggings?" And on and on. It's one of those looks where you don't think the pieces would work together but they come together in this really interesting way. I loved it.

Samantha is a one-trick pony - a lovely-seeming one-trick pony, but one-trick nonetheless. I felt sorry for her being so upset, but she had to go eventually - she was never going to win. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

And every year there is at least one person who whines they've never done pants, or menswear. 

But on Project Runway, they would whine that they've never done "A pant" . . . which makes me think that the garment they're constructing only has one leg.  

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

(There was an actual bridge over the Thames that was sold, disassembled and rebuilt in Arizona)

According to legend (no evidence if it's true), the gentleman that bought the bridge was surprised as it was being rebuilt near Lake Havasu.  He thought he'd bought Tower Bridge (first photo below), but had actually purchased something not as well-known (second photo).  

32 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Kentaro's model just looked so cool. She'd absolutely turn heads on the street. People would be thinking, "Are those shorts or a skirt? Oh, they're shorts?

As in my first comment here.  On PR, would say "A short or a skirt?  Oh, they're A short."

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 8
On 9/22/2017 at 10:25 AM, AZChristian said:

Whenever I read articles about things like cotton stems in a vase at Hobby Lobby being offensive, I feel like starting a campaign about my pet peeve.  I am just under 5 feet tall.  Even Petite pants are too long for me.  So why doesn't the world understand that it's prejudicial against me and my kind that we have to hem EVERY pair of pants we buy?  I have no more control over my height than any of us have over our ethnic background.  The world needs to revolve around me and my feelings.

Yes! AZChristian - I have the same issue. Sometimes I could make a pair of shorts out of the fabric I cut off.  I used to be able to wear children's pants, but it depends on the material or pattern.  Back on topic, the judge's name is Kelsea, not Chelsea.

• Love 2
On 9/22/2017 at 0:27 PM, mamadrama said:

Another shorty here-4'11". "Petite" sizes are laughable; they're still several inches too long. I like capris, too, for the same reason. I weigh around 105 pounds (maybe less now since I just had bowel surgery 2 days ago) and it's really hard to find things that fit. I'm short, have a small waist, longish legs, short torso, but then have an ample chest and backside. I wear a women's size 5 in shoes, although sometimes I still have to stuff them. When I am wealthy, I am going to have shit made for me. 

I would like to see the designers do something for us "petites." It's hard fitting us-many of these designs only work because the model is tall and rail thin. 

Wow - there's quit a few of us around the 5 foot mark. I always thought we should pay less for pants because we're using less material :)

Also, I have heard one the twins call the other one "Pumpkin" on more than one show. Blergh.

• Love 5
Just now, Evenshorter said:

Wow - there's quit a few of us around the 5 foot mark. I always thought we should pay less for pants because we're using less material :)

4'9" and 88 lbs here. I've stated on threads (here and on IMDB when it was working) that they are ignoring the obvious challenge that's never been done. Petites. True on the less material needed, and by needing less they could afford better quality. I wonder if this is because they really can't pattern according to size. That they come into this competition with just sizes 4-6 etched in their skill sets. I get them beginning to do the plus sizes. It has become politically correct these past few years. No one understands the angst of having to wear children's sizes with a woman's bust. I outgrew Bambi (present day Elsa) many years ago. Clothes for the masses never fall on our bodies in the correct places. Please PR...I'll even offer myself up as a model. 

One time I had a surplus of denim I had cut off from all my too long jeans. I made a quilt out of it. 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

4'9" and 88 lbs here. I've stated on threads (here and on IMDB when it was working) that they are ignoring the obvious challenge that's never been done. Petites. True on the less material needed, and by needing less they could afford better quality. I wonder if this is because they really can't pattern according to size. That they come into this competition with just sizes 4-6 etched in their skill sets. I get them beginning to do the plus sizes. It has become politically correct these past few years. No one understands the angst of having to wear children's sizes with a woman's bust. I outgrew Bambi (present day Elsa) many years ago. Clothes for the masses never fall on our bodies in the correct places. Please PR...I'll even offer myself up as a model. 

One time I had a surplus of denim I had cut off from all my too long jeans. I made a quilt out of it. 

I'd LOVE a challenge where all of the models are not just the ever-popular "real people" but "real people who have a very specific body issue that makes it impossible to find things that fit" ... whatever that might be, maybe with each person having a different issue ... too tall, too short, too boobalicious (raises hand), too big a butt ... SOMETHING that makes them not able to fit into whatever the "rack size" is for what their "normal" size would be ... I hate looking for something that is a 14 for the boobs, a 12 for the waist, an 8 for the butt, and, oh yeah, a 4 for my height. No WONDER I always look like I'm wearing maternity clothes! (At 58, not a good look). 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Kentaro's model just looked so cool. She'd absolutely turn heads on the street. People would be thinking, "Are those shorts or a skirt? Oh, they're shorts? could I wear shorts over leather leggings?" And on and on. It's one of those looks where you don't think the pieces would work together but they come together in this really interesting way. I loved it.

When he was describing it, I thought he was insane. Then, it came down the runway. However, it reminded me of the host of the British What Not to Wear, who loved pants under dresses. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

There was actually a real scam led by George Parker in the early 20th century. He "sold" the Brooklyn Bridge to gullible newcomers at least twice a week. Some went so far as to try to block it off and charge a tollm honestly thinking they owned it. So it is a real American metaphor based on actual events-although I'm sure other countries have their own versions of the scam.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Good idea on the challenge! And for us under 5', as you said, children's clothes fit us in length but not in chest and sometimes not in butt. I wear a 34DD and have a 21-inch waist. My daughter's Paw Patrol shirts look downright pornographic on me. As a design challenge, sometimes whacking off the bottom doesn't work because you lose the design elements.

@jrlr Brandon's outfit DOES remind me of upcyclec clothes. Glad to see someone else buys refashions from Etsy. I both buy and make. They're so much fun!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, AZChristian said:

But on Project Runway, they would whine that they've never done "A pant" . . . which makes me think that the garment they're constructing only has one leg.  

According to legend (no evidence if it's true), the gentleman that bought the bridge was surprised as it was being rebuilt near Lake Havasu.  He thought he'd bought Tower Bridge (first photo below), but had actually purchased something not as well-known (second photo).  

As in my first comment here.  On PR, would say "A short or a skirt?  Oh, they're A short."

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Since I can't give more "hearts" I am compelled to repost this for all of its awesomeness in so many ways.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Brookside said:

With their bazillion cameras.

And a producer.   I loved seeing them get fake excited at getting to spend the night on empire state building sky walk.  First of all, no. No they were not excited.  And no, they probably slept inside and moved out for the breakfast sandwich scene. One exclaimed, And they did it all for us!  Whoot.  Jesus.  They don't really think we buy this shit, do they?

• Love 4
15 hours ago, leslieo54 said:

But then this summer, I was looking for a writing utensil (coincidentally, for practicing kanji), and I first asked the cashier where I could find the China pencils, then the grease pencils, then at her continued blank look, 'those thick pencils with the string to expose more of them.' Those she knew, and she directed me to them, but as I was looking, I couldn't help wondering if my first instinct had been based on what I called them a million years ago when I was young - like sitting 'Indian-style' in elementary school - and was totally racist now. I still don't know, but when I found them, they literally had China marker printed on the shaft, so... I got nothin'. I wonder where the name came from... 

tl;dr don't think Kentaro is racist, just careful. ;-)

eta apparently they can be used to write on porcelain or china - makes sense... And that wording is used more often in the U.K., which I guess explains my younger, Canadian self using it. 

Bingo.  China pencil is a perfectly legitimate name for this kind of pencil - when I used to work in a thrift store we used them to mark the glassware and dishes and everybody called them china pencils or china markers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_pencil

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Bingo.  China pencil is a perfectly legitimate name for this kind of pencil - when I used to work in a thrift store we used them to mark the glassware and dishes and everybody called them china pencils or china markers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_pencil

Funny. I knew exactly what you meant when you started describing it, but I'd never heard it called a China pencil. I'd always heard grease pencil.

• Love 6
On 9/23/2017 at 8:56 AM, gingerormaryann said:

Shawn was accused of copying a design in this challenge, but 2 is better than 1.  Amy has her Instagram showing the, shall we say, similarities between what Claire "designed" and a Puma design, which Claire is modeling.   

I guess I'm not looking in the right place- is there any way you could link to the IG post?

2 hours ago, lizzyp said:

I guess I'm not looking in the right place- is there any way you could link to the IG post?

It basically said someone sent her a side-by-side comparison of the outfit Claire wore on the first episode with the outfit she "designed" in the latest episode.

clairezip1.thumb.jpg.0374bdffdc916c59a336d8a57a4d23e5.jpg59c850e6d006e_pr16-ep6-ClaireBuitendorp.thumb.jpg.b05a1941ba8debf82290e528e034c38f.jpgclairezip4.thumb.jpg.f0d58b7c61688a08af2d206e19d2fa6b.jpg

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 19

Just catching up on the episode....

I always feel so bad for the clients when they love and feel great about what's been designed for them, and the outfit gets shredded by the judges. 

I don't understand why Ayana's model chose to wear a peach satin bathrobe out in public over her street clothes.

Battani's outfit was vibrant and beautiful! I don't really find it costume-y, as I know Black women who would rock that look, or similar, on a daily basis. 

I kept trying to see the cool in Kenya's design. I stare at it, and, just when I feel on the verge of getting it, it eludes my grasp. It did look well made.

Brandon's.........I was really concerned that the model was gonna trip on those dangling straps.

Samantha's didn't bother me. In brighter colors, maybe it could have been interesting. She put a lot of work in, and some interesting details, but it all got lost in the dark color palette. Ya'll think she might be getting the save? Heidi commented on how bummed Samantha looked. 

• Love 4

Thank you sleepyjean.  I guess Claire thinks that adding the peplum makes it TOTALLY different?  Reminds me of the Behind the Music when Vanilla Ice tried to convince everyone that the hook from Ice Ice baby wasn't a direct rip off of Under Pressure.  'No see, mine has a peplum!'

• Love 14

I read most of this thread but still was not prepared for how Margarita shifted from being BFFs with Kristina to blaming her for not creating something the judges would like. That was a big bowl of wrong. Kristina looked genuinely hurt. 

Not once do we get to see Shawn acknowledging that Claire deserves 50% of the credit for the success of her outfit? And 45% of it should go to whoever manufactured the top the model wore that first day.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 8
39 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

I kept trying to see the cool in Kenya's design. I stare at it, and, just when I feel on the verge of getting it, it eludes my grasp. It did look well made.

I am having this problem with Kenya's last two designs actually. She makes both of these models seem strangely short-waisted and, thus, out of proportion. I can't unsee it. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

China pencil because they are used to mark china.  I just got rid of one that was at least 20 years old....

My dad is going to be so mad at you, he's been keeping his Chinese pencil for decades waiting for its mate.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, wings707 said:

And a producer.   I loved seeing them get fake excited at getting to spend the night on empire state building sky walk.  First of all, no. No they were not excited.  And no, they probably slept inside and moved out for the breakfast sandwich scene. One exclaimed, And they did it all for us!  Whoot.  Jesus.  They don't really think we buy this shit, do they?

Maybe I'm a nerd but that really WOULD excite me. I'd do it. I'd want a cot and the ability to sleep in the next day but for a different kind of experiencem I'd do it.

• Love 7
On 9/23/2017 at 7:00 AM, mansonlamps said:

I think the sheer amount of comments we have analyzing Kentaro's comment show how sensitive we've gotten.  I mean it's Kentaro.  That guy doesn't have a mean, offensive, or racist bone in his body.  He did make a spectacular look for this runway, though, and I'm glad he was rewarded.  I love Brandon and his relationship with Kentaro, but I really think he needs to step it up and show the judges something new.

Seriously. it's ridiculous. I can't believe that anyone would suggest that he's a bigot. Talk about taking an innocent comment and twisting it into something else. Some people only see what they want to see, unfortunately.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, kitten59 said:

I can't believe that anyone would suggest that he's a bigot.

Please point to a single post that said that, because I don't remember one. All I remember is lots of posts saying he's scared to death of offending anyone because of the Too-Much-PC-ness in our society. Sheesh.

• Love 4

Claire's model looked like she was wearing diapers. How Claire is still there over Samantha is mind-boggling. At least Samatha's dress was well tailored and made her model look good.

I was also surprised that Michael was not in the top 3, but reading the comments here it seems I'm a minority. I thought Liris looked gorgeous and confident coming down the runway.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Please point to a single post that said that, because I don't remember one. All I remember is lots of posts saying he's scared to death of offending anyone because of the Too-Much-PC-ness in our society. Sheesh.

This one for example:

Dear Kentaro, it is not racist to reference Africa in a sentence because "Africa" is not a derogatory term.  It is an actual place.  You are like those people who will say "a black person," but whisper "black" as if they're trying not to swear.  And you don't get a pass for being from Japan; bigotry is not solely an American cultural phenomenon.  

Though I doubt everything is as a reply to this particular comment, and a lot is just to address his insecurity, which was part of the episode and maybe some peoples own insecurity in not wanting to offend, but feeling they'd offend either way by  saying or not saying something or asking. It's difficult to navigate at times. 

Edited by tiramisue
  • Love 14