Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E06: Models Off Duty

• Start Topic

What the hell with Kenya's outfit being on top? It was by far the ugliest thing on the runway, even though there were a few other doozies. Weird 80's office wear is not modern street wear, nor is it mysterious. Just fug. And I love Kenya. Sometimes I think the judges praise the worst outfits because it's so bad they think they must be missing something and don't want to appear unhip.

What was the point of mentioning the twins helping each other too much if they didn't say anything to the twins about it? I think the only reason Shawn's was on top was so that discussion could happen, i.e. Claire is ruining her own outfits because she helps her sister too much. I feel like the designs selected for top and bottom have more to do with story arcs than in the merit of the designs all too often.

I don't think Margarita is going to be BFF with her model after all. Pretty weak with the preemptive blaming of her client.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Why so much focus on the models this season? 

This was the first episode where I liked hearing from the models. Liris was surprisingly quiet, given that tragic blue dress she had to wear.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I like that Amy is trying to be constructive in her criticism. Experience counts even if only for the practical (garment construction) reasons. 

I like Amy a lot. I enjoy her commentary. I just wish I liked her designs as much as I like her.

3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I loved Kentaro's. That was fantastic and Fashion.

His was great! What did he call it? Homeless but clean? I'm starting to see a smidge of Brandon's influence in that crop top, but more refined.

2 hours ago, Bebecat said:

Maybe Brandon slipped that look in again since he had immunity. Hope he will branch out next time...

Almost everything Brandon creates looks like it's made of worn out bed sheets. This week's look was too slouchy...to the point of sloppiness. 

1 hour ago, lyric said:

Shawn is pretty obnoxious with her sister - very entitled to her help, it seems. 

It's like it didn't occur to her at all that Claire's time was just as limited as her own. Or rather, it ocurred to her, but she didn't care.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

However, I thought each item separately was beautiful.  I totally get why Nina liked it.  It was...... (draw in your breath) editorial.  

This. 100%. It photographed in such an eye catching way it was like some sort of sorcery. I found myself liking it. Even though I didn't really like it. If that makes sense. Even despite the poochy tummy.

Ayana should have been in the bottom with that satiny robe of hers. I'm all for modesty, but there were far better ways to accomplish it than that schmatta....speaking of which, I call producer shenanigans on a model choosing ayana and then asking her to make something that shows skin.

Sidebar: I wonder what happened to the old black velvet button bag?

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

Ayana should have been in the bottom with that satiny robe of hers. I'm all for modesty, but there were far better ways to accomplish it than that schmatta....speaking of which, I call producer shenanigans on a model choosing ayana and then asking her to make something that shows skin.

To be fair, the only designers left at that point were Ayana and Claire. Who would you pick?

• Love 15
3 hours ago, lyric said:

I love Kenya, but that ensemble was hideous.  It looked straight up 80s.  I mean, literally, like someone found it in the back of their mom's closet from the 80s.  It didn't look modernized to me - the cut of the pants, the waistband, the crazy petally stuff on the shirt, the color, the print - the whole mess gave me flashbacks.  Just awful.  I could not believe my ears when the judges were talking about how mysterious and chic it was... it was so tacky and dated. YMMV.

3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I like Kenya way, way way too much to criticize her outfit.  It wasn't my taste, and it wasn't even of this time, but I still thought it was beautiful and well made.  Green is *also* my favourite colour (really, Heidi?  I never see you wear it. I'm wearing two green items right this second.)  But that shade of green...... no.  However, I thought each item separately was beautiful.  I totally get why Nina liked it.  It was...... (draw in your breath) editorial.  Pick up a fashion magazine today.  Guaranteed you'll see outfits like that. Stylists always throw things together that you wouldn't think go (I'm sure you've seen The Devil Wears Prada.) It's eye-catching, even though I'm sure some thought it was ugly.  It was polarizing.  It looked of a different time, but to me, not in a dated way.   Also, I think Kenya's model helped the presentation a lot.  Nina loves when women look 'fragile' and honestly, she kind of did.  It looked so vintage-y.

And I thought Kenya and the twins were on the bottom.  Kenya again just based off of taste, and the twins based on that their outfits were bad.

For another side to Kenya's outfit, here's Cate Blanchett in the upcoming Ocean's 8. I think it's almost impossible to pull off the woman's vest well.... 

Cate_Blanchett_Cate_Blanchett_Sandra_Bullock_A05.jpg oceans-8-23nov16-04.jpg

The 80s are actually back in fashion. I don't often agree with Nina, but her assessment that the look was intriguing was spot on--was it vintage or French? It didn't look straight 80s. In the 80s, the pants would never have been cut that slim, the fold over waist would have been 2 or more inches long instead of an inch, the blouse would have had a Peter Pan collar with lace instead of Kenya's petals, and the blouse would have had a princess or balloon sleeve. The current interpretation of 80s is sleeker and less exaggerated. The 80s were a lot more blouson than Kenya's look.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 20

I thought Kenya made her model look like an office-matronly cow.  Didn't like it at all.  

So glad Kentaro won, his look is my favorite of the season and I'd buy it right now.

Someone needs to build a time machine, go back in time, and give the twins' father a condom.  Seriously.  

• Love 12

1. Was that a typo, or did I read that Brandon is 24 years old?  He looks like he's 38.

2. Margarita totally screwed over her model. That stupid print crop top was all hers. The jacket was all hers. They were having a great time, the model was super agreeable, and then when she gets wind that the judges hate her look, margarita's all, my demanding tacky model wanted to look like this. Bish please.

3. I hope kentaro and his model continue working together after the show. She could be his muse!

• Love 21
1 hour ago, millennium said:

I think The Beautiful Georgina Chapman looks better as a brunette.

I agree. I'd wager she might look lovely with auburn hair, but I don't like the ombre blond on her. Of course, once she reads that, she'll be sobbing into her millions because my opinion means so much to her, lol.

I'm so disappointed in Margarita. Personality-wise, she was one of my favorites (loved the Zac Posen-off with Michael),  but her betrayal of her model made her look cowardly and weak. I don't have a lot of faith in her for the next team challenge. 

As far as the twins go, I think that the judges should have made a bigger deal about their over-collaboration,  but they won't because of the Rule of Drama.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, millennium said:

I think The Beautiful Georgina Chapman looks better as a brunette.

When I saw the preview, my thought was, "Oh no Georgina, what did you do to yourself?" I always found her to be stunningly beautiful, but the hair color was way too harsh and the makeup a bit much. At least she still had her gorgeous accent.

After watching the All-Stars seasons, I find it funny that Heidi didn't introduce her with the mandatory "gorgeous" preceding her name.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, lyric said:

Shawn is pretty obnoxious with her sister - very entitled to her help, it seems.  Claire needs to nip that shit in the bud.  They seem really immature for their age - Shawn, in particular.

My guess is that the dynamic they have going was formed in early childhood and is ingrained by now and would difficult, if not impossible, to change. Clair obviously doesn't have to slight her own work to help her sister but chooses to do so, likely through long habit. Most twins (I come from a very twin family, lots of them in every generation, though I was personally spared) have a dominate/passive relationship where one is clearly the 'alpha' and the second one tends to hang back. One will be the more forward, aggressive, confident and so on while the other...isn't. My guess is that Clair has been taking care of Shawn all their lives and likely always will, to whatever degree. It looks to me like that's how they relate to one another--Shawn is needy and Clair is the helper. From what we've seen, Clair even calls her sister by the infantilizing nickname 'Shawnie', almost like she's a child but I haven't seen the reverse. It's almost more like a parent/child relationship than a sibling one...or so it seems to me, anyway.

Okay, that's it for armchair analyzing from me, thank you.

• Love 21

Yay, I'm so glad that Kentaro won! Not only does he seem like a very sweet guy but his design was far and away the best this week. I totally cracked up when he said Batani's outfit was very African and then he said, "Wait, can I say that? Is that racist?" Unlike ChaCha, he seems more aware of cultural differences and doesn't want to unintentionally offend someone with the wrong phrasing. The thigh high skinny jeans were awesome!

I loved seeing everyone get a little punch drunk in the work room and just laughing about it.

While I agree that Samantha has been one note, at least she made an outfit that was actually fitted to her model's body and was somewhat flattering. Claire made a sloppy looking sweatshirt that was hanging off of her model and made her look like she had no waistline at all. Then she made shorts that were way too short (Michael Kors: "I question your taste level") because she didn't have time to make pants due to Shawn crowing, "Claire! Claire!" every two minutes because she's incapable of making her own outfits (or her own decisions). There was NO fashion in Claire's outfit at all. It looked like what was in the bottom of a girl's gym bag so she threw it on over her sweaty body to walk to the car. Claire may be a good seamstress (or at least good enough to sew Shawn's outfits since poor Shawn doesn't like sewing waistbands or zippers), but her design skills appear to be almost nonexistent at this point.

1 hour ago, mwell345 said:

And putting the twins together next week for a team challenge is wrong too.  All the other designers will have to deal with differences in style, personality, aesthetic, etc.

While I agree with this, look at it the other way - if the twins work together as a team, then none of the other designers are saddled with having to work with them. I consider that a gift to everyone else.

8 hours ago, vibeology said:

I love Brandon but that outfit was 100% Derelicte.

I feel like Mugatu because I don't get why the judges love Brandon's shitty Derelicte designs. They look like scraps of clothes that have been salvaged after being caught in some sort of industrial machine and ripped apart.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 19
22 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And putting the twins together next week for a team challenge is wrong too.  All the other designers will have to deal with differences in style, personality, aesthetic, etc.

While I agree with this, look at it the other way - if the twins work together as a team, then none of the other designers are saddled with having to work with them. I consider that a gift to everyone else.

True.  An added bonus would be if they come in last and one of them has to go.  Extra fun if they start the blame game.

• Love 13

Dear Kentaro, it is not racist to reference Africa in a sentence because "Africa" is not a derogatory term.  It is an actual place.  You are like those people who will say "a black person," but whisper "black" as if they're trying not to swear.  And you don't get a pass for being from Japan; bigotry is not solely an American cultural phenomenon.  Those prints and head wraps are not "costumes" -- people of great style and fashion sense wear them all around the world, and it's nice to have a non-Eurocentric POV every couple of seasons.

In other news, I was actually worried that Brandon's model would wipe out by stepping on one of those overly long pant-straps.  

• Love 4

The sad thing about Margarita's outfit is that if she had made it a little more tailored -athlesure it would have seemed more current. If she had made the printed top a tank top instead of the more cropped style it still could have been styled as knotted in the front to show off the model's abs, but it would have seemed more versatile to a consumer. Her pants could have been a jogger style or even a wide-leg sailor pant. The baggy mess she created did seem very dated. 

I think Michael's blue dress was shot with some favorable camera angles. Those side vents showed off a lot more skin than what was shown. I think it bordered on street walker vs street style. 

It was obvious that Samantha was auf'd this week because she was on "probation" after last week. Any other week she would have been middle of the pack. I think they probably felt she wasn't growing or innovating in her aesthetic each week. 

No way would Brandon's model be caught dead wearing that outfit on the street. It wasn't her style at all and she looked uncomfortable in it. I guess it's good he had immunity, but he seems to do no wrong in the judges eyes. 

I still don't understand why the producers made Tim spill the tea about the twins doing each other's work and yet make no mention of Shawn's outfit being a direct copy of her model's outfit. Plenty of people have been sent home for less in the past. I guess the twins talking heads and drama are keeping them around no matter what. Claire's outfit was a baggy mess. She had the right idea with the sweatshirt and the top of it was great, but that peplum and those shorts were awful. 

I loved Kentaro's outfit. It definitely seemed like the epitome of street style. Plus, he's so sweet and kind. I loved his chemistry with his model. I wonder if he'll start a trend with the denim leggings?

Batani's outfit looked so costume like in the way that she styled it. Plus, it seemed ill fitting. I just didn't see street style at all with this one. Like Samantha, Batani sometimes wears cooler outfits than what she ends up putting on the runway  

I didn't love Kenya's emerald green and Dalmatian combo, but preferred her being on top vs one of the twins. 

Edited by Angeleyes
  • Love 7

I was absolutely stunned that Kenya was in the top, or even safe, this week.  When her name was called, I was like ok these are the top and bottom looks, not the safe ones.  Color me shocked when it turns out her look is in the top.  At least the right look won, in my opinion.  Sadly the drama they've been previewing just doesn't seem to materialize.   

• Love 6

Kudos Kentaro!  Job well done.   I like the fact that the “jeans” weren’t actually jeans but were a type of legwarmer.  Brilliant! I hope he is able to trademark that because I can see that being a huge seller. 

Although I didn’t like Kenya’s outfit a lot I can still see why it was not on the bottom.  Like Nina says it was very editorial.  The green threw me off (not a great shade of green IMO) but because it (probably inadvertently) looked so dated that is why it stood out.  Part of the challenge, as I understood it, was to design an outfit that when placed on social media would get attention or make you pause.  I think Kenya’s did that in a good way.  The Dalmatian print is a versatile piece.  A quirky print that would work well with a pencil skirt or slacks. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I'm so disappointed in Margarita. Personality-wise, she was one of my favorites (loved the Zac Posen-off with Michael),  but her betrayal of her model made her look cowardly and weak. I don't have a lot of faith in her for the next team challenge. 

All that potential just wasting away in Margaritaville.  

• Love 16
7 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

I like Amy a lot. I enjoy her commentary. I just wish I liked her designs as much as I like her.

I like Amy's designs a lot, but I think they don't have enough impact on a Runway.  Closer up they look intricate (and very well-made), but black on black hides all her work.

2 hours ago, mwell345 said:

Really, Tim - that's all you got?

I think Tim should not be allowed to say anything to the judges, unless he sees something absolutely forbidden.  People helping each other is not against the rules.  If Claire wants to jeopardize her own position, I agree with whoever-that-was they had judging, that's on Claire.  Tim needs to butt out.

45 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

It was obvious that Samantha was auf'd this week because she was on "probation" after last week.

Given how much they disliked her color palette and design from last week, why did she basically make the same top again in even drearier colors?

• Love 8

So disappointed in Margarita - the outfit was dated and meh, but it wasn't the model's fault and blaming her was really tacky.  And also in Samantha, who i thought had much more potential than she turned out to have. That being said, gimme a break - her look was worse than Claire's garbage bag and hooker-shorts?  No, it wasn't.  And Shorn in the top?  No, just no.  

I didn't hate Kenya's nearly as much as a lot of posters, it was definitely oddly retro and I wasn't crazy about the fabrics, but it made me laugh to see a Courtney Love-alike walking the runway.  

Batani's should have been in the bottom simply for being a costume.  

I actually liked Brandon's look better this week than the one he won for last week, but he really needs to step out of his comfort zone - although if it's menswear next week, he's definitely safe.  

Kentaro's win was absoutely deserved - great, inventive look that someone tall enough could actually wear.  

Are they really going to let the twins be a team?  Well, if they are together, at least it will cut down on the hysterical running and shouting - their double narcissism, entitlement  and 5th grade hyperactivity make me want to put duct tape on their mouths, and neither one has produced anything above "Forever 21" grade.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Nidratime said:

What a bait and switch. I'm deeply disappointed. The show didn't deliver tonight after they showed previews where Tim confronts the designers for "cheating." When is that going to happen, since it appeared it would be this episode?! It's clear they want to keep these two losers in it for the drama.

That's what I thought, it was a total letdown.  Also I think Claire isn't just doing sewing for Shawn I think she's been doing some of the designing too.

And although people are all jumping on Margarita here I thought she wasn't bottom 2 or 3.  And she did what her client wanted which is what this task was.  Several others weren't that good, including the African design.  Very hard to see why Claire was kept out of those on the bottom, just not enough there.

8 hours ago, dwarmed said:

What the hell with Kenya's outfit being on top? It was by far the ugliest thing on the runway, even though there were a few other doozies. Weird 80's office wear is not modern street wear, nor is it mysterious. Just fug. And I love Kenya. Sometimes I think the judges praise the worst outfits because it's so bad they think they must be missing something and don't want to appear unhip.

Yeah, when Nina went the "mystery woman" route, all I could think was "yes. the mystery is why she's wearing that crap. Don't blame the French for that." Her model wanted something clean and even flinched at the "feathery crap on the shoulders!" from the beginning and yet, Kenya sent her down the runway with sloppy flapping rags hanging from her shoulders. (I count that hideous green "vest" in that.) It looked like she left a giant 80s blouse bow untied or the vest unbuttoned - it just came off as sloppy.

While Brandon's aesthetic is a bit... boxy-baggy for me, at least it's interesting designs that are wearable and well made. It seemed more "clean hobo" than Kintaro's look ended up. :)  Kintaro's a little hit and miss for me, but when he hits, daaaaamn. That outfit was by far the best of the day, if not the season. Clean, interesting design, wearable, pleasing to the client.

Spoiler

I'm looking forward to the two of them working together next week

Much like I'm looking forward to the drama of the Performatwins as a losing team. (Speculation/wish, not a spoiler result)

• Love 5

Claire should have gone home.  Hands down.  What she made was tacky and not "design".  At least Samantha designed something.  It also wasn't made well.  Her ass cheeks were hanging out and the silhouette made her look pregnant.  Whoever said they were keeping her in order to off her at another time when it would be more dramatic was right.

Margarita did throw her model under the bus.  But she made me laugh when she was imitating Zac.  

Kentaro's design was very well done but only for a certain size and shape of person.  None of the bigger models would have sold that look as well.

Batani's look was hideous.  Like oh my god, mouth dropping bad.

• Love 11

I am assuming that they get to pick their own partners next week, because it looked like Brandon and Kentaro are together. I do love their relationship so I hope they work well together.

I feel like Tim can only say so much about the twins helping each other, since technically they are allowed to help one another. As for Shawn combining her outfit and her model's, I guess since it was not an exact copy that the whole issue was let go. I would like to think that the helping issue would be brought up again. Zac and Nina seem to not be enamored with the twins, so hopefully they will get called out on their crap eventually. If one of them makes it to FW I can see the other twin helping out with designing.

The only designs I did not like were Claire, Batani, and Margarita's. Batani's did look well made and complicated, so I can see how she was safe. 

• Love 2

Dear Kentaro, it is not racist to reference Africa in a sentence because "Africa" is not a derogatory term.  It is an actual place.  You are like those people who will say "a black person," but whisper "black" as if they're trying not to swear.  And you don't get a pass for being from Japan; bigotry is not solely an American cultural phenomenon.  

Bigotry is not solely an American cultural phenomenon, but how it is expressed in each culture is different.  American English is not his first language. He may have unintentionally given offense in the past and was bending over backwards not to do so again.  I loved his outfit and agree that he sent one of the only pieces of true fashion down the runway.

Much as I love Brandon in the workroom, he is, indeed, turning into a one trick pony.  Seriously, is he able to construct a blouse?  All of his tops are the same, possibly because he doesn't know how to sew to a woman's shape (and yet, he gave advice to Kentaro on that topic a few episodes ago...)  Also, enough with the strings.  

Furious at the PR editing monkeys for leading us on.  I guess that we are going to have to wait for the episode (as shown in earlier previews) where Michael storms off the stage.   Very disappointed that there was no epic takedown of the twins.  Truly, they are some of the more talentless contestants that have been on the show lately.

I would have thrown Clair out over Samantha.  Agree with the judges that her own clothes were better than what she sent down the runway, but then again, her own clothing doesn't have to fit any particular challenge parameters.  It was being in the bottom two weeks in a row that sent her home.

Can't believe that Margarita threw her model under the bus.  I'm glad that we saw the model's comments  on that little move.

I think that Kenya was crippled by her model's desire for green.  Green outfits rarely do well on PR so I had fears for her.  It was a bizarre outfit, but I do think that the outrageous print helped tone down the overwhelming green.  Glad that the judges were (mostly) intrigued and that she didn't get sent home.

Their over-the-top expressions, theatrical faces, over enunciation, melodramatic mannerisms, their whole "am I projecting for those in the back" attitude? 

I'm wondering if they spend all of their camera time auditioning for the next reality tv show down the line.  I think that they are viewing PR as an audition for their next gig.  If they are really that way off camera in their day to day lives--yikes.

ETA Anaya shouldn't have put that voluminous wrap on her model--did she ask for a huge wrap like that?  Did she ask to be "modest"?  

Edited by Yokosmom
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Misslindsey said:

I am assuming that they get to pick their own partners next week, because it looked like Brandon and Kentaro are together. I do love their relationship so I hope they work well together.

If that's the case, let's call it now: Brandon and Kentaro for the win!!!!!!  I love their relationship too, and both are very talented - I think Kentaro a bit more, because his looks vary a bit.  Brandon does tend to stick to the same formula.  He had immunity this week and I really thought he would go outside his comfort zone, but he didn't.  He needs to, because both Nina and Zac have mentioned it.  But not next week, please. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

In today's climate, the mere mention or acknowledgment of race/ethnicity/nationality associated with a minority group is often interpreted as racism. I believe someone said in another thread earlier this season, simply noticing race, or commenting on race isn't the same as actually being racist or making a racist comment. But a certain segment of the population is so quick to react and accuse and be offended and blow up social media with their misplaced outrage, I can't fault the guy's abundance of caution.

Whenever I read articles about things like cotton stems in a vase at Hobby Lobby being offensive, I feel like starting a campaign about my pet peeve.  I am just under 5 feet tall.  Even Petite pants are too long for me.  So why doesn't the world understand that it's prejudicial against me and my kind that we have to hem EVERY pair of pants we buy?  I have no more control over my height than any of us have over our ethnic background.  The world needs to revolve around me and my feelings.

• Love 16

True.  An added bonus would be if they come in last and one of them has to go.  Extra fun if they start the blame game.

From what we've seen of the twins' dynamic thus far, I'm betting Claire will take the fall.  Shawn will put on a big production of begging her not to do it, then reluctantly accept the sacrifice.  Shawn seems arrogant enough not to realize she's nothing without her sister saving her every week. 

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, CaughtOnTape said:

Claire should have gone home.  Hands down.  What she made was tacky and not "design".  At least Samantha designed something.  It also wasn't made well.  Her ass cheeks were hanging out and the silhouette made her look pregnant.

She looked pregnant only if women carried their babies in their vaginas instead of their uteri. That was awful.

• Love 2

Question that occurred to me this episode when they were drawing buttons from the bag for the models to choose their designers: One of the designers (can't recall who but think it may have been a twin) commented something to the effect of "This time they get to choose from us rather than the other way around."

I had thought that this season the matching of models to designers each week was random (then opening their little envelopes and seeing "with surprise" who they'd be designing for), plus with the different body types it would be pretty demoralizing to see the plus-sized girls going last every week. 

Is it possible that indeed the designers ARE choosing their models but they're not showing it? Anyone have any insight on this?

I really thought, especially after Claire's outfit was called safe down the stretch (one of the single fugliest things I have ever seen on this show), that "twingate" would come down and when Tim came into the room he'd save Samantha. I am among the minority that actually quite liked her design. And I really like HER.

But yes, that would have not been nearly as dramatic a demise for the Indeed-y-Duo. I want hell and brimfire and schadenfreude and dramah. 

Also, can't remember who came up with this, but THANK YOU to the mnemonic of "Claire Hair, Shawn Lawn." 

Brandon's design was a hot mess, IMHO, but they just gushed over it so much that I have to think he is TCO.

Also? I couldn't remember who Amy was when I was reading something until I watched the episode and was like, "Oh, right, her." I think the preview says next week's team challenge has to do with menswear. If so, she should kick ass. I like her work but it's either safe or just what she does which is sort of forgettable (but not in a bad way ... like, the way Claire's outfit was unforgettable in a bad way). 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I actually thought Batani's was bad. Even my 6 year old said, "That doesn't fit her right."

That skirt fit so horribly the stips of fabirc were pulled in different directions and not straight like they were supposed to be.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, CaughtOnTape said:

Kentaro's design was very well done but only for a certain size and shape of person.  None of the bigger models would have sold that look as well.

Yes, but that was the challenge, to design for that specific model, his client.  If he had one of the bigger models, he would have made something to their taste and body type.

• Love 23

I just re-ran the preview for next week with closed captioning turned on.  They are standing in the menswear department of a store.

Female voice:  "We're doing menswear!"

Tim:  "You're making assumptions."

And on one garment that Amy and her partner are working on, the jacket has an obvious "right over left" female button opening.

• Love 3

As to Brandon's last week only looking good because of he had one of the more typical sized models, and Kentaro with the same thing this week, they are designing garments that are supposed to look good on that particular model's body type. That's the purpose of having variety. You don't design a garment that's supposed to look good on a size 16 and then put it on a size 2 for the runway, just as you don't design a size 2 garment for a size 14 model. Neither challenge was to design real-world looks that any woman could wear. Last week's challenge was to do a fashion take on Good v. Evil and this week's was to design a streetwear look for specific models.

I just don't get the criticism of, "well, that wouldn't look good on a different size woman." It's not supposed to. They aren't designing ready-to-wear garments adjustable to all sizes and shapes. If they had different sized models, they'd design different garments. Both Brandon and Kentaro have designed for the larger models and done it extremely well. 

I liked Samantha, but she'd yet to show anything worthy of saving. She was making clothes, not designing. She was funny and cute and charming and likable.

I am wondering if we are going to get a challenge next week where they have to do lady tuxes or pantsuits. I would love it if they had Evan Rachel Wood judge a challenge like that.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 20

In one talking head this week, "Shawnie" said something like "I wouldn't wear a single thing he has designed."  I can't remember which designer she was referencing but I thought that person should immediately use that quote to sell his clothes, since the twins consistently hate and disparage the most successful looks. 

• Love 20

As a Home Ec teacher, if Shawn and Claire were in my class, and Claire did the amount of work on Shawn's project as she'd been doing, then when Shawn handed in her work, Claire would get the marks for the zipper and waistband, not Shawn. Shawn has not demonstrated how she can put together a zipper or waistband, so how can I give her marks for something she didn't do?  My students don't attempt to pull the [insert bad word here] that the twins have tried. I wouldn't accept that from teenagers, and I certainly wouldn't accept it from so-called adults.

• Love 18
Just now, Seelouis said:

I can't remember which designer she was referencing but I thought that person should immediately use that quote to sell his clothes, since the twins consistently hate and disparage the most successful looks. 

I'm pretty sure it was Samantha. See the editors are on to our suspicions :)  She said the only one she might have liked was the trash one.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

While I agree that Samantha has been one note, at least she made an outfit that was actually fitted to her model's body and was somewhat flattering.

And apparently also met the client/model's preferences (she expressed some trepidation earlier over being totally goth, but Samantha didn't go in that direction, so presumably the model was 100% satisfied).  

The thing I liked least about Margarita's bus-throwing was when one of the judges thought that style of pant would work better with heels, but Margarita said the model was adamant about no heels.  I myself am adamant about no heels, and I'm proud of the model for specifying that she wanted to take care of her feet if she had the choice!  But one could have designed a really cute sporty, even more "streetwear" look around some nice flat, sporty shoes.  Did the model balk at the heels at the last minute?  We didn't see, but I'd think we'd have been shown that monkey wrench if it happened, so I'm guessing Margarita knew all along and just went with the pants that were in her mind, regardless of shoe.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Yokosmom said:

Green outfits rarely do well on PR so I had fears for her.

Remember when green was the worst color and never sells? Now, they love it! 

Kenya's may have been reminiscent of the 80s, but when I saw Batani's my mind went immediately to Whitney Houston and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody".  Maybe it wouldn't have been as bad w/o the head bow.

Margarita's was totally something that Jennifer Lopez would have worn as a fly-girl on In Living Color

• Love 17