Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

But Pennsylvania is still a stupid answer.  And its NC for both of them, so even if they got mixed up, would have been correct. 

He and the character both were obviously from the south, so that makes Pennsylvania just a bad guess.

I think she was thinking of Pennsylvania's Mt. Airy, which is a neighborhood in Philly. Yes, it's still a bad answer within the context of the clue, but I didn't think it was as stupid as some of the other ones we got yesterday!

Edited by teebax
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, jaybird2 said:

you didn't ruin it....here i thought i was the only one to know about 'versales' lol.  do you remember the abandoned and half completed'castle' on the main road to versailles from lexington.  i always thought that was fitting.

You're not the only one.  I graduated from WCHS.  Last I heard, the castle was a bed and breakfast type of resort now?  (Small world...)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Oh, and it's "Wire Haired Terrier"...there's no "Fox."

I looked this up because my answer was "Wire Fox Terrier" and I was surprised when Alex included "haired." The American Kennel Club doesn't use "haired" in the name. http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/wire-fox-terrier/ There is also a Smooth Fox Terrier.

59 minutes ago, Driad said:

Has a game ever ended with no contestant having money, so they couldn't have FJ?

Not yet! Per Jeopardy.com, "This is one rule that has not yet been put to the test and we’re betting that EP Harry Friedman might make the decision to play the final clue for fans at home to enjoy. If he doesn’t, our best guess is that viewers would be treated to somewhere around 3 minutes of…[Alex dancing gif]"

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 6

Thank you, dcalley. You are absolutely correct about the Wire Fox Terrier. I've been a member of the American Fox Terrier Club (AFTC) for longer than most of you have been alive, and I show all breeds of dogs. I know dogs.

Plus, the Jeopardy clue said another animal was in the pictured dog's name: Wire FOX Terrier. Fox Terriers used to ride on the huntsman's saddle and, when the fox went to ground, they went down the tunnel to pull the fox out. Wires and Smooths used to be the two varieties of Fox Terrier and became two separate breeds when AKC said it was going to select one Best of Breed among breeds with varieties so only one Fox Terrier could compete in groups. The AFTC voted for Wires and Smooths to become two breeds. (The joke is, AKC never followed through, so Dachshunds and Cockers are still varieties of one breed.) They went from being named "Fox Terrier, Wire" to "Wire Fox Terrier." No "Haired" has ever been in the name.

Also, about the "English" Greyhound (which does not exist, it's just Greyhound), the clue asked for a breed that RESEMBLES the Greyhound, and an IG, Italian Greyhound, most certainly does. So judges were correct in approving that answer.

Jaybird2, I was fascinated by the castle between Versailles and Lexington. I used to pass it six times a year (coming and going) as I went to the horse sales at Lexington's Red Mile three times every year. It was for sale then. A while back I looked it up online to see what it was all about. I'm glad someone bought it and turned it into a B+B. I'd love to see the inside!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

Is the Texas Schoolbook depository an official name for that building?

Looking it up online, it seems to come up with both texas book or texas schoolbook depository. 

They accept "open marriage" and "speedwagon" recently but they count that one wrong, over book vs schoolbook, seems pretty picky.  I guess if its an official name technically you have to say "schoolbook" though

ANd then they accepted a few answers at the break and changed some scores, not sure if that was one or not. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I would pay money to see that.

It was pretty good. We don't do Halloween, but one year he came down all shaved (his hair and beard - he fully committed to it) in khakis and a white T. I scrounged for stuff, old floral mumu that was my mothers, curlers in my hair, a belt with wash rags and rubber gloves tucked into them (wore them at first, but they get hot), and slippers. We were a hit. Our one good idea in 30+ years together.

4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

It's weird, I feel like Alex has a classical French accent, although of course he's not speaking in full sentences. One of the guys who reports to me lives in Ontario but is a Quebecois who spoke French growing up. He'll talk to one of my coworkers who actually IS French and the accent differences are discernible to me. French Canadian sounds Canadian, I think, but I'd be hard-pressed to describe what I mean by that :) 

Oddly, I think I can almost hear what you're saying. I think Alex sounds like he has a classical French accent, but I am no expert. To be fair, my daughter was talking about Quebecois French, so maybe the Franco-Ontarian is closer?

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

Ryan needs to stop bouncing.  Also what was that strange noise he made when he hit the DD during the first round?  I will not be sad when he loses.  I really wanted Brandy to win -- I love her hair.

Apparently there's a mass exodus from North Carolina -- yesterday we had Mt. Airy moving to Pennsylvania, and now Kitty Hawk has migrated to Ohio!

The SCUBA question made me think of Family Ties, when Alex was trying to help Mallory for a quiz bowl-type competition.  Mallory: "Self-contained underwater breathing apparatus!" Alex: "Who invented it?"  Mallory:  "Magellan!"  If I ever have to answer that question for real, I'll probably miss it.

I also picked Icarus for FJ, but I did get the TS of Dayton, Love Letters, darken (sad that none of them knew Tom Petty's song!), Three Rivers, and Lumiere.  If you haven't seen the video for "Don't Come Around Here No More", go watch it.  It's arguably one of the best from MTV's early days, when it actually played videos.

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, BryroseA said:

After yesterday’s debacle, I almost lost it when ALL THREE missed the extremely easy Dayton first clue right off the bat.

I also feared a repeat of the same, especially when Brandy said "Kitty Hawk," but I think she just assumed any geography question mentioning the Wright Brothers had to be aboui Kitty Hawk.

14 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ! I’m very proud of myself :-) 

So did I. It was a pretty tough question, since they had to come up not just with the mythological character who flew but with the literary character named for him. I did wonder if they would accept "Daedalus" without "Stephen." 

• Love 1

Dammit Brandy - you lose money when you guess incorrectly! And don't buzz in if you have no clue! I was rooting for her but no, Ryan lives to play another day. I'm not exactly sure why he bugs me so much so maybe he's one for the Irrational Hate List.

I couldn't even understand the wording of FJ so not even a guess there.

• Love 9
23 hours ago, Kathira said:

Because of course they do. And the capital of South Dakota is pronounced Peer. I live in Rochester, NY, where we have a suburb called Charlotte, pronounced sherLOTT, and another called Chili, pronounced CHAI-lai (rhymes with jai-alai). No one really knows why.

Oh my goodness and if you pronounce it like Chile, the country, you get corrected right quick!  I will never make that mistake again, heh.

Bikini was far too easy for a DD.

• Love 6

I was so sad that Love Letters was a TS.  Like all of Guerney's plays, it is funny, touching and a delight to see performed.

I went for Icarus at first for FJ but switched to Daedalus at the last second.

At least they all got out of negative territory more quickly tonight.

• Love 2

Ryan bugs me because, though he’s come back both games and win a lot, he still makes stupid guesses, but still acts smug!  And the squinting!  Get your glasses checked.  Ugh.

• Love 8

I was rooting for Brandy until she rang in and had no clue about Thames.  What did she say?  Nutjob or something?  Sheesh.  Ryan only half annoys me, so congrats to him.

I got Dayton (Kitty Hawk?  WTH?), F16, darken (RIP, Tom), and Three Rivers Stadium.

I wrongly guessed Icarus for FJ.

• Love 6

Brandy also completely guessed Aladdin which frustrated me because why would you ring in if you don’t know?

Also, remakes are getting completely out of hand and the upcoming Aladdin one makes me furious.

• Love 9

I was rooting for Brandy until she rang in and had no clue about Thames.  What did she say?  Nutjob or something?  Sheesh.

I feel like she thought maybe "on Tyne" (there is an English place named that way), and then remembered the "th" category and got stuck. 

I still like Ryan. He definitely reminds me of my old boyfriend. And he's good on history stuff, which I love. I also went for Icarus for FJ. Oh well.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Oddly, I think I can almost hear what you're saying. I think Alex sounds like he has a classical French accent, but I am no expert. To be fair, my daughter was talking about Quebecois French, so maybe the Franco-Ontarian is closer?

It's not. French-speaking people in Ontario tend to be clustered around Ottawa and the Quebec border. There's not really a discerable difference in the language from either side of the Ottawa river.

• Love 2

I'm watching an X-Files rerun (S4 E7) where it was revealed Smoking Man shot JFK from the sewer while Oswald was buying a pop from the machine in the SCHOOLBOOK Depository. Yes, that was the location name shown on screen. So if X-Files says it's Schoolbook, it's Schoolbook.

I, too, was all WTH at the first question. Kitty Hawk. Please. Columbus? Oy. Akron. Gah. How hard is it to know Wright-Pat is in Dayton? I suppose the next guess would have been Cleveland.

Then Ryan IDs that F-16 photo as an A-1 plane. WHAT? A jet named after a steak sauce? WTH. And I swear he said "soothe sayer" and not "soothsayer." But at that point ... whatever.

Alex annoys me to no end every time he says, "I don't know why you skipped that one" or "I don't know why you left that category" when the next clue is revealed as the DD. Well, duh, if they marked "DD" next to the money amount, I'm guessing players wouldn't skip that one. In fact, they would go directly to it instead of hopping around looking for the freaking Daily Double.

Bikini Atoll was a ridiculously easy DD. I need to try out again for this show.

And did Alex over-pronounce Ferrari? The heck!

One last question: What is a banker? Ryan is a banker, but does that mean he is a teller, a CEO, bank president, money trader or what?

• Love 11

What is Kitty Hawk?

<scratches head>

WTF???????????  We're off to a great start.

Tonight I got Dayton (Yay!!), Love Letters, darken, and Three Rivers Stadium.

FJ=NoClue.  My knowledge of mythology is almost non-existent.  I did say Icarus, one of the few things that I know.  I'm giving myself partial credit. ;-)

• Love 5

I think Brandy said "not Hull" - Kingston Upon Hull is a town in the UK.  I think she remembered the category just as she answered.  I liked her.  Once again I scared the neighbors shouting - this time it was "Three Rivers".  I also knew Dayton and a couple of others but was more polite about it.  I thought of Icarus but couldn't put him with a literary work and forgot about his dad.  It's been too long since I've read Joyce. I thought a couple of the DDs were too easy.

• Love 4

Ryan is a good player but annoying. I was rooting for Brandey - her hair was awesome, and she seems to have a good personality. 

TS I got were Witch & Wizard, Love Letters, Three Rivers Stadium, & Lumiere in the (ugh!) French Scientists category.  Icarus for FJ in the Toothbrush living room also. 

5 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Dammit Brandy - you lose money when you guess incorrectly! And don't buzz in if you have no clue! 

I've said before that this usually works for Ken Jennings, but not for most of us mere mortals. 

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Bikini Atoll was a ridiculously easy DD. I need to try out again for this show.

Yes to both. 

• Love 6

My high school senior year English teacher from Dublin would have killed me if I missed FJ as we read the book and it was one of her favorites. Fortunately, I get to live.  

My college roommate is now a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force and he was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton for a number of years. I visited him out there and saw the Air Force museum. It's very impressive. 

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

One last question: What is a banker? Ryan is a banker, but does that mean he is a teller, a CEO, bank president, money trader or what?

He's the guy in control of the money in Monopoly. :)

3 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Ryan is a good player but annoying. I was rooting for Brandey - her hair was awesome, and she seems to have a good personality. 

TS I got were Witch & Wizard, Love Letters, Three Rivers Stadium, & Lumiere in the (ugh!) French Scientists category.  Icarus for FJ in the Toothbrush living room also. 

Ryan left a puppy on top of a pyramid. I'm not sure what I would have done either as the puppy was apparently happy, but I don't think I'd mention that part on national television.  

I got those and FJ. I would say that I was surprised no one got the Lumiere Brothers, but after these past couple of games I've lowered all expectations for contestants. 

Alex was noticeably praying for something other than the epic fail that was the beginning of yesterday's episode. 

• Love 8

I live in Rochester, NY, where we have a suburb called Charlotte, pronounced sherLOTT, and another called Chili, pronounced CHAI-lai (rhymes with jai-alai). No one really knows why.

I took to calling Chili's the restaurant chain Chai-lai's when one opened near me.

• Love 3

We also pronounce it Ver-sales. To be honest, pronouncing it the French way would feel pretentious.

I once knew a woman who said one of her high school teachers insisted that it was pretentious to pronounce Quixote as "key-hoe-tee" and taught her students to say "quicks-oat" according to the American rules of pronunciation.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ryan needs to stop bouncing.  Also what was that strange noise he made when he hit the DD during the first round? 

He said he makes that sound at home. I think it used to be the sound that played when people picked a DD.

14 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I went for Icarus at first for FJ but switched to Daedalus at the last second.

Me too, but time had just run out when Daedalus occurred to me.

14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was rooting for Brandy until she rang in and had no clue about Thames.  What did she say?  Nutjob or something?  

12 hours ago, AuntieL said:

I think Brandy said "not Hull" 

That's what I heard, too.

I know! I've just decided to laugh when he does this.

As far as TS, I only got F-16 and Lumiere brothers. I guess I should have known Dayton.

I actually laughed when Alex looked at the camera after everyone was instantly in the red, and then started to pray.

I thought Emily's story was funny and well-told.

• Love 4

I was also rooting for Brandey to win, despite the unnecessary "E" in her name, heh. However, I'm okay with Ryan winning. He seems like a contestant who would normally annoy me, but I find myself liking him a lot. I loved his DD noise because I have done that at home myself from time to time.

Anyway, my gets were Dayton (duh!), F16, and Three Rivers. I picked Icarus for FJ, boo hiss.

Something I didn't know was that James Patterson wrote the Toys R Us line. That's pretty good trivia and something I won't forget now.

• Love 3
On ‎01‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:08 PM, M. Darcy said:

I went with American Flag - the year should have clued me to Draft Card. But it was before my time. Heh barely but it was. 

It seemed early to me for burning either the flag or draft cards, but I'm a bit iffy on the timeline for Vietnam.  Hey, I was only 6 months old by December 1965 - it's almost before my time. ;-)

On ‎01‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, Mondrianyone said:

A few years ago, I went to a Halloween party as the Texas School Book Depository (my husband went as the Grassy Knoll), so that TS felt like a personal slight. 

I can't remember a game where I screamed as many answers at the TV as this one.  How easy is the qualifying test anyway?

That is genius!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, BryroseA said:

After yesterday’s debacle, I almost lost it when ALL THREE missed the extremely easy Dayton first clue right off the bat.

I missed it too, not that easy if you're not up on aeronautics/aviation in general.  But not knowing Neil Armstrong was unforgivable in my book.  (My first solid memory is of watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon from my parents' living room when I was 4.)

10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I've said before that this usually works for Ken Jennings, but not for most of us mere mortals. 

Bob Harris, author of Prisoner of Trebekistan, said never to guess because it rarely works out.  Wish I'd listened to that advice when I was on the show, because I might've had enough to make the champ bet more for FJ if not for two late DJ-round bad guesses.

Hey, Dag Hammarskjold was finally the right answer!  He's usually my guess for early-ish UN Secretary General, and he's usually wrong.

Edited by proserpina65
Because Hammarskjold has to be spelled like a Swedish name damn it!
  • Love 10

In one of the scenarios at Jeopardy.com, the contestants all bet everything on FJ and lost, so they all ended  with zero.  Alex said none of them would return the next day, but did not say how much money they would get.  Would they all be declared to have finished in second place, or maybe third?  Or would someone decide based on their pre-FJ amounts?

• Love 1

I cannot forgive Ryan for leaving the puppy at the top of the STEEP pyramid. Yeah, the dog was happy ... happy to see people who could save him from dying up there. Dogs have problems going down steps until they are taught, and even then it can be impossible. When I had a front porch, my dog would not leave it since he couldn't go down the four steps to the yard. There is no way in hell that a puppy, or any dog except an exceptional one, would go down hundreds of very steep steps. Up, yes. Down, no. And he thinks that's a fun story to tell on national television? I hope he rots. I rank Austin over him for likability. And I strongly dislike Austin.

DrScottie, I like your new icon. ChicagoCita has one too. Yeay Cubs! Toothbrush, you need to get one.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 16

As a proud Ohioan, I take offense at associating the Wright Brothers with anything significant at Kitty Hawk. Yes, I know the first experimental flights took place there, but all the important work before and after happened at Dayton. And yes, I am still bitter about North Carolina claiming  to be "The First In Flight."

• Love 7

Ditto.  But the puppy story put the nail in his coffin.  My husband, who is a kind person and is usually genuinely puzzled as to why some of these people annoy me so much, got this one right away.  So when I sat on the sofa imitating Ryan, bouncing up and down and grinning smugly, even he laughed.

Oh, and there's a Calais up here, pronounced "Callus."  Like you'd get on your foot.

Edited by Mondrianyone
funny town pronunciation
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Driad said:

In one of the scenarios at Jeopardy.com, the contestants all bet everything on FJ and lost, so they all ended  with zero.  Alex said none of them would return the next day, but did not say how much money they would get.  Would they all be declared to have finished in second place, or maybe third?  Or would someone decide based on their pre-FJ amounts?

I looked up that game at J-Archive, and the pre-FJ scores were 13,800, 13,800, and 6,000. (The 6,000 contestant should have bet zero--ugh!) The prizes were 2,000, 2,000, and 1,000, respectively, so it seems to be based on scores at the end of DJ. But what would happen if they'd had three different amounts? The Jeopardy! Fan has a list of games with no winner. Some of the games are tournaments, and the others are from the days when the prizes were not cash. This game has the players entering FJ with three different amounts, but two ended up receiving the same prize ("a range and dinnerware"!), so I think the prizes today would be 2k, 2k, and 1k even for different pre-FJ amounts.

• Love 3

Maybe he doesn't like French fries? I honestly never realized that's how the company got its name, but then I never really paid attention to how it's spelled either.  But is soon as I saw the map and remembered the category I got it. I wanted the middle guy to win because he knew who  Roberto  Clemente was. 

• Love 5

I wanted either middle guy or end woman to win and end Ryan's run.  The leather jacket and his posing with it (along with the bouncing) can go any time.

FJ was painfully easy for me.  I never realized how the company got its name, either, but it makes perfect sense.  Astonishing that middle guy couldn't come up with anything.

I also was surprised that end woman couldn't come up with Pirates of Penzance -- buccaneers was in the clue!  I also got Rubik (someone should have gotten that after Ryan's miss), and Shining Star.

• Love 12