Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I guessed Truman instead of Nixon.  Didn't think of Nixon. 

Does the old president always stay for the inauguration?  I don't even pay attention to those details.  I know the two presidents meet, but didn't know if the old one always stayed to see the new one be sworn in.  I guess it makes sense for the smoothest transition of power. 

This all makes me think of Star Trek and their transition of power.  I remember it from TNG, they send Picard away on a mission and a new captain takes over

"I relieve you, sir"

"I stand relieved". 

I always giggle at "I stand relieved". 

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Does the old president always stay for the inauguration?  I don't even pay attention to those details.  I know the two presidents meet, but didn't know if the old one always stayed to see the new one be sworn in.  I guess it makes sense for the smoothest transition of power. 

Yes the outgoing President stays and typically past presidents also attend. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

. I did not expect heresy to be a TS in the inquisition category. 

No one expected it in the first place.  :)

15 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Brandon didn't form one of his responses as a question -- they don't take $$ away for that?  It was in the Lighting category, I think.   His second attempt was simply the answer, one word.  Sometimes all I hear is an "s" sound of the word "is" -- don't hear "what" or "who" at all. 

He did say very fast "What's Argon?" "What's" being monosyllabic, it was tough to pick up. Normally though, contestants do not use contractions with the interrogative pronouns to start their responses. 

• Love 3

Totally ran the Musicals category - would love all Broadway questions if I were on the show.  Glad Jamie didn't win - I appreciate enthusiasm but to paraphrase Frasier Crane "You are allowed to have an unexpressed thought from time to time."  

FJ was an Instaget since i remember being on a flight from Detroit to Mexico City that day.  During a stop in Chicago, they showed live tv coverage on the plane (a big deal in those days) and the pilot announced during the flight that Ford had been sworn in and we were probably crossing flight paths with Nixon's plane.

• Love 5

I did not recognize John Aniston from that picture at all.

I knew FJ had something to do with Mount Vesuvius but I have no idea who or what a Pliny is.  Never heard the name in my life.

I had two TS but now I can’t remember what they were.

Not a fan of the new champ because her story bugged me.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Lindsay - yuk!  Hope she's a one and done.

I got John Aniston, Donald O'Connor (Gene Kelly in a Donald category?  Really?), Donald Fagan (this made me sad), and Jesse James.

Shouldn't the correct answer for FJ have been Pliny the Younger and not just Pliny?  I knew it had to do with Mt. Vesuvius but could only pull Ptolemy out of my brain.

• Love 12
51 minutes ago, mojoween said:

new FJ had something to do with Mount Vesuvius but I have no idea who or what a Pliny is.  Never heard the name in my life.

You are missing out on some delicious beer!

• Love 2

Got locust, Nine West, Cedar, Jesse James and schnell for TS’s and DD Triton (thanks to the Little Mermaid). Had no idea for FJ.

Sorry to see Brandon go, even though he cut off the “what is” or “who is” part of the correct question by just saying so quickly and mumbly. 

Had no idea Jennifer Aniston had a dad on a soap.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Shouldn't the correct answer for FJ have been Pliny the Younger and not just Pliny?  I knew it had to do with Mt. Vesuvius but could only pull Ptolemy out of my brain.

I thought so at first, and that's what I said (why do I know that? I wasn't even guessing but I can't figure out how) but I suppose the clue said he was the younger one by mentioning his uncle. Still I would definitely have written it just in case!

2 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Got locust, Nine West, Cedar, Jesse James and schnell for TS’s and DD Triton (thanks to the Little Mermaid). 

Me too!

I loved Encyclopedia Brown books when I was a kid, so I definitely got that one! Those contestants are missing out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Not a fan of the new champ because her story bugged me.

I've forgotten what it was. Lindsay kind of grew on me during the show, especially after she said "tarnation" with that accent. (Maybe she and Alex could have an accent-off?) Her voice reminded me a bit of Penny Marshall's.

I got Django Unchained, locust, the 10 commandments, Encyclopedia Brown (total guess), Donald O'Connor (poor Matt forgot the category), Triton (missed DD), Jesse James (after Billy the Kid proved to be wrong), and schnell. FJ was an instaget, although I too wondered if they would insist on "the Younger".

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I got Django Unchained, locust, the 10 commandments, Encyclopedia Brown (total guess), Donald O'Connor (poor Matt forgot the category), Triton (missed DD), Jesse James (after Billy the Kid proved to be wrong), and schnell. FJ was an instaget, although I too wondered if they would insist on "the Younger".

Missed Donald O'Connor but got the others.

32 minutes ago, Fex said:

I wasn't even guessing but I can't figure out how) but I suppose the clue said he was the younger one by mentioning his uncle. Still I would definitely have written it just in case!

As the clue made reference to his famous uncle the Elder, it didn't become necessary to specify Pliny as being the Younger one. Without that context, Pliny alone is insufficient. I would have put "the Younger" just to be safe too. You never know how the judges are ruling these days. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I swear one of those flag clues said it was black-and-white, which led to the first zebra answer. But I just looked at pics of all African flags and there aren't any so colored.

It was national coats of arms, not flags. Everyone should look at Zambia's here because there is a tiny zebra on it! (Aww!)

Clue: "The shield on Zambia's coat of arms features black & white stripes representing this natural wonder."

Who's to say zebras aren't a natural wonder? :)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Guessing “...Gene?...” in that category was curious.

I 'm thinking he couldn't remember anybody else in Singin' In the Rain beside Gene Kelly and didn't think of Donald O'Connor. I had trouble remembering his last name too. It's been a long time since I've seen the movie. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

As the clue made reference to his famous uncle the Elder, it didn't become necessary to specify Pliny as being the Younger one. Without that context, Pliny alone is insufficient. I would have put "the Younger" just to be safe too. You never know how the judges are ruling these days. 

Yeah, but there's no law that says an uncle and nephew will have the same name.  His uncle could have been Livy or Suetonius or a bunch of other historians or scholars, especially if you didn't know the date, which they didn't supply.  And since the clue didn't include the words "the Elder" in reference to the uncle, I'm going to say that BMS was the only smart way to word the answer.  I debated during the think music whether I'd include "the Younger" if I were in the game, because it's usually better to include less info than more, and I decided no way would I lose like that--Alex telling me that it could've been either Pliny, sorry--so I wrote it on my imaginary screen.  And then of course was annoyed that it wasn't obligatory.

I just looked at the clue on the J! Archive:  "Letters written by this Roman recount the events of a natural disaster, like the death of his uncle, a famous scholar."  (He didn't die at Vesuvius, apparently, contrary to popular belief, so that's wrong even if that's what they meant.)  And let's get all these dead historians off my lawn while we're at it.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

You are missing out on some delicious beer!

I’ve always heard the beer pronounced differently than how Alex said Pliny. Is it my circle of people or did it sound off to you as well?

I used to love Encyclopedia Brown books. I think I need to read them again to make up for missing that clue tonight. 

• Love 2

Mystery Author: Live trap. Bait it with marshmallows and a chunk of sausage. Works like a charm

We couldn't do that until the kits got older. She had 5 or 6 kits (don't remember the exact number).

I was SHOUTING Donald O'Connor. How sad that he wasn't at the very least remembered for Singin' in the Rain (he had to have 3 days bedrest after his "Make 'em Laugh" dance). And does anyone else remember Francis the Mule? O'Connor once said he stopped making Francis films when the mule got more fan mail than he did.

I'm surprised no one mentioned how s-l-o-w Lindsay (is that her name?) is. Heck, I did the dinner dishes while she contemplated which category to choose.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I just looked at the clue on the J! Archive:  "Letters written by this Roman recount the events of a natural disaster, like the death of his uncle, a famous scholar."  (He didn't die at Vesuvius, apparently, contrary to popular belief, so that's wrong even if that's what they meant.)  And let's get all these dead historians off my lawn while we're at it.

Per Wikipedia Pliny the Elder was killed, as nearly as we can know at this remove, during the devastation from the eruption of Vesuvius.  Drowned by massive tidal waves caused by a volcanic eruption versus directly by the volcano seems a narrow distinction.  Also, even if one did split that hair, the clue actually said "natural disaster", not Vesuvius or volcano.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Pallida said:

I’ve always heard the beer pronounced differently than how Alex said Pliny. Is it my circle of people or did it sound off to you as well?

I have heard it pronounced several ways, given the time period I refuse to parse anyones pronunciation. 

• Love 6
Just now, Ailianna said:

Per Wikipedia Pliny the Elder was killed, as nearly as we can know at this remove, during the devastation from the eruption of Vesuvius.  Drowned by massive tidal waves caused by a volcanic eruption versus directly by the volcano seems a narrow distinction.  Also, even if one did split that hair, the clue actually said "natural disaster", not Vesuvius or volcano.

If you read to the end of the Death section on the page you've linked, you'll see this:

Science historian Conway Zirkle has written that "there is widespread and persisting misinformation" about Pliny's death. He suggested that despite his rescue attempt, Pliny never came within miles of Vesuvius and there is no evidence he died from breathing in fumes. Zirkle stated that Pliny was overweight, in poor health and had died from a heart attack.

I don't think it was unheard of for stories surrounding the deaths of famous men to be dramatized for the sake of glory, but I can't say for sure, since I wasn't there.  I had a toga party to go to.  ;o)

• Love 7

I have to say I was getting a little tired of Brandon and his mumbling. We'll see how the new champ pans out - I liked her well enough on last night's show.

My ts's were Donald O'Connor, Jesse James and schnell, plus the DD of Triton.

Did not get FJ.  I said Cicero just for something to say but I was pretty sure he was from Julius Caesar's time, not AD - I thought it was just barely conceivable that he lived that long (he didn't).  I've heard of Pliny the Elder and Younger but they didn't come to mind.

• Love 2

I. too, was wondering which Pliny was the answer. Since I didn't know, I figured if I were on the show, I'd just write "Pliny" and hope for the best. In this case, that would have been enough, apparently. That surprised me. The judging continues to befuddle.

I'd forgotten about Encyclopedia Brown until that clue! Loved those books as a kid. 

No one knowing Donald Fagan was depressing. 

I liked Brandon, but the way he swallowed his answers did get kind of irritating. The new champ seems ok. 

• Love 2

I thought the new champ was slow selecting as well, and I didn't like the board hopping. Therefore I knew she'd win. Ugh.

My gets were Nine West, 10 commandments, Encyclopedia Brown (a childhood favorite of mine), Donald Fagen (I'm a huge Steely Dan fan), Cedar River, the Triton DD, Jesse James, and schnell. I love it when we get German on Jeopardy; it makes me feel less horrible about how terrible my French is.

I didn't have a clue on FJ. I should add ancient history to my brush-up list.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, BryroseA said:

I am unreasonably proud of myself for pulling Pliny out of god-knows-where in the recesses of my brain. I actually first pumped for myself, alone in my living room, lol. 

I think they should've demanded Pliny the Younger since Pliny the Elder was the uncle who died near Pompeii.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Yeah, but there's no law that says an uncle and nephew will have the same name. 

...and there's also no law that says the uncle is necessarily the elder one!  I know two families (not mine) where the uncle is younger than the nephews. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I thought the new champ was slow selecting as well, and I didn't like the board hopping. Therefore I knew she'd win. Ugh.

My gets were Nine West, 10 commandments, Encyclopedia Brown (a childhood favorite of mine), Donald Fagen (I'm a huge Steely Dan fan), Cedar River, the Triton DD, Jesse James, and schnell. I love it when we get German on Jeopardy; it makes me feel less horrible about how terrible my French is.

I didn't have a clue on FJ. I should add ancient history to my brush-up list.

I didn't get the Cedar river or Triton, but did get the rest.   And mach schnell to the category choosing!

7 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

If you read to the end of the Death section on the page you've linked, you'll see this:

Science historian Conway Zirkle has written that "there is widespread and persisting misinformation" about Pliny's death. He suggested that despite his rescue attempt, Pliny never came within miles of Vesuvius and there is no evidence he died from breathing in fumes. Zirkle stated that Pliny was overweight, in poor health and had died from a heart attack.

I don't think it was unheard of for stories surrounding the deaths of famous men to be dramatized for the sake of glory, but I can't say for sure, since I wasn't there.  I had a toga party to go to.  ;o)

Still linked to the natural disaster. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Based on that, however, I'm not sure what evidence Zirkle has to support his conclusion.  I'm going to go with the account of a contemporary at this time over someone 2000 years later who seems to have done a metaphorical autopsy.  But maybe he has more information than is present there.

• Love 2

I finally got to watch Tuesday's ep, and I agree that the contestants should have had to specify which Pliny.  Just like Brandon had to specify which Williams earlier in the game.  That said, FJ was almost an instaget, while I waffled on whether or not to add "the Younger", and adding it just in time.

Not a fan of Lindsay.  I'd rather Brandon had won again.

It made me terribly sad that Donald O'Connor was a TS.  Singin' in the Rain is one of my very most favoritest movies, and Make 'Em Laugh is a classic bit.  I also managed to get Django Unchained, locust (if it's a biblical insect, it has to be a locust!), Donald Fagen, Triton, and Jesse James.

• Love 4

Can't believe Robert Redford was a TS (granted, an old picture, but still). Not to mention "the fifth dimension--mind". I also could have sworn she answered "sha-lay-lo" instead of "sha-lay-lee" (I know, I'm bad at spelling, that's why I did it phonetically---the Irish club) and was surprised when we came back after the break and her score wasn't deducted.

• Love 22
6 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Can't believe Robert Redford was a TS (granted, an old picture, but still). Not to mention "the fifth dimension--mind". I also could have sworn she answered "sha-lay-lo" instead of "sha-lay-lee" (I know, I'm bad at spelling, that's why I did it phonetically---the Irish club) and was surprised when we came back after the break and her score wasn't deducted.

Ditto on Robert Redford. 

I heard "sha-lay-lah" -- is it one of those words that has several acceptable pronunciations?

Disappointed that no one got Buddy Holly, but could understand guessing Richie Valens because of Maria Elena's possibly-sounding Hispanic name. 

I like the new champ.  No annoying ticks.  Yesterday's champ starting every category choice with "Um" and ending with "please" didn't help with finishing a board. 

The other woman (forgot her name) -- her pose and voice were supposed to be seductive, maybe?  Too cool for school?  What was she going for?

• Love 12

Lyndsey lost me with her butterflies are gross remark...SHE'S gross...and she did say "sha-lay-lah", which I believe is wrong...don't care what they say

Expected Flora to be introduced as "retired adult film actress..."

• Love 17

When Alex gave his opening spiel about no one in 2018 having won a large amount, I yelled at the TV, "Maybe if they would start clearing the damned board, they'd earn more money!" Not today though.

I cannot believe that Robert Redford--pictured no less!--was a TS. You've got to be kidding me. He's still acting on a fairly regular basis. He starred in a Netfix original film late in 2017 and was in a Marvel movie just a few years back! I realize it was a young photo of him, but not having gone the plastic surgery route, he still looks like Robert Redford. ☺

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Expected Flora to be introduced as "retired adult film actress..."

LOL!  Me too!  When they announced her name, I told my husband, “That’s gotta be her stripper name.”

How could they not get FJ?  They gave you the states!!!

• Love 10

So very sad that Robert Redford was a TS!  I also got mind and Spanish Civil War.  I was sad, too, that we didn't finish the Twilight Zone clues, although I did have to laugh about the first one -- when the category was first shown, I said "The one with the creature on the wing of the plane!"

I am glad that Lindsay lost, and also that Flora didn't win.  She just looked bored or something.  Her apparent attitude was off-putting.

FJ took me just a second, mostly because I suck at anagrams.  Also because I live in Virginia, but Kaine came to mind first.  Then I switched to Warner, and then thought, "Oh, shoot, Elizabeth.... Warren!  That's it!"  But if they'd given any other states, I wouldn't have had a clue -- I know my Senators, but not too many others.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

The other woman (forgot her name) -- her pose and voice were supposed to be seductive, maybe?  Too cool for school?  What was she going for?

I got Lana from Three's Company vibes.

• Love 7

By definition, don't ALL widows live on?  Or did they mean "on and on and on"?

Flora needed to stand up straight. With so many people clamoring to be on Jeopardy!, it seems only right to at least look like you appreciate the opportunity.

Surprised by the TS FJ.  Warren/Warner was so easy that we said "Wait...is there any other name we can make out of Markey?"

• Love 7