Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Bell surprised me as a TS, and I thought Alex was awfully quick to jump in and rule Kevin incorrect on Lonelyhearts.  I mean, it was obvious that Kevin left off the s, but with all the mumbling going on, he might have been given a chance to say it again.  Or someone else might have been given the chance to answer, for that matter.

Other TS I got were hinny, walking papers, autonomous, and Orkney.  Loved having Harry Potter and Monty Python clues!  Ministry of Silly Walks, hee!

The fictional ministries category was really fun! I thought the answers inside other words category would be way harder than it was. I found them all easy, and was surprised the last two were TS. Bell and... something else.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

As soon as the clue and photo for hinny were revealed, I knew it would be a TS. As I've said before, animal categories are the weakest on this show. Any my strong suit! So yeay me.

I was impressed with myself for knowing hinny, too. Go us!

The responses for the first clue in the Playwrong category made me laugh. That two people just didn't get it!!

• Love 6

Dear Kevin - On Jeopardy, Polish composer = Chopin; Liszt = Hungarian composer.

TS I got were walking papers, King Constantine, bell

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For FJ, I first thought the 12 days of Christmas, until I read/listened to the entire clue, then it was an instaget. 

Me too. As soon as the category was shown my mind immediately went to the Christmas season, so when I saw the number 12 in the clue I thought the same thing. But after actually reading the clue, birthstones was an instaget. 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I suspect the game was stopped (and thus edited) after the "Lonelyheart" answer.

That's what I figured too. 

I didn't have a guess for FJ. Well, I did think of the zodiac, but I didn't think that would be correct, so I just left my answer blank. With 'topaz' I should have come up with birthstones.

The only TSs I got were Six Characters In Search of an Author and Wagner.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Fex said:

The responses for the first clue in the Playwrong category made me laugh. That two people just didn't get it!!

Alex specifically told them to fix the name of the incorrect title not give the author or the play it's based on. It helps to pay attention to his descriptions of the categories. 

• Love 5

My ts's were hinny, Constantine, Autonomous and Wagner - German composer and no one even guesses Wagner? I said marching orders instead of walking papers - think the judges would have accepted it?

Did not get FJ but I should have.

I liked all three contestants and would have been fine with any of them.  The new champ seems pretty solid.

• Love 3

I suspect the game was stopped (and thus edited) after the "Lonelyheart" answer.

That was my guess, too. It seemed kind of abrupt.

I wish they'd edit Alex's response to every damn bio. I like it better when he simply says, "Good for you."

I ran the Playwrong category (if I'm ever on the show, I guarantee they wouldn't have a 'Broadway plays or musicals' category; it would be all geography), and I'm glad Mr. Pause was a one and done.

German composer and no one even guesses Wagner?

That blew my mind, although I guess someone could have answered Kurt Weill (I love The Threepenny Opera) or Ludwig Kit Beethoven.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Alex specifically told them to fix the name of the incorrect title not give the author or the play it's based on. It helps to pay attention to his descriptions of the categories. 

I paid attention when he described the category, but I forgot when the first clue came up. I answered the playwright's name too. 

• Love 1

Mystery Author, I am so with you in wishing producers would rein in Alex during the contestant bios. If we all took a drink every time he turned one around to being about him ("I've traveled all over the world ..." "When I went kayaking ..." "That happened to me too when I was ..." yada yada yada) we would be too drunk to post here. I don't listen to the bios because of that, my Trebek dislike is high enough as it is. It's either all about him or he makes some kind of fun of the contestant, like they are really weird or something because they did ... whatever. (Something he hasn't done, so it must be for creeps only.)

• Love 5
On 12/28/2017 at 1:36 AM, tvaddict44 said:

I was tickled to get a Tennessee Ernie Ford clue.  As a little girl I played "Sixteen Tons" at least 20 times a day on my phonograph.  I'm sure my parents were gritting their teeth...

It was my parents who played it endlessly, but I loved the song too.

21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've watched that, but I still don't hear it.

She didn't do it all the time, so you might have missed it. I only learned what it was after hearing someone who spoke with an extremely exaggerated version of it. After that it was a little easier to pick out.

14 hours ago, Fex said:

I was impressed with myself for knowing hinny, too. Go us!

I got "inny" but didn't get to "h" before the answer. :(

I thought Yokohama was the easiest layup ever, but apparently not.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Mumbles said:

She was so awful. And it always cracks me up when Wellesley graduates are so proud of their school. In reality it’s a basic bitch pig farm for rich girls whose daddies’ connections still can’t get them into an Ivy League school.

Seems a bit harsh, but what do I know? I went to a lowly state school. 

My gets were hinny, walking papers, six, and autonomous. I got FJ after first considering 12 Days of Christmas.

I'm happy for Travis. He played very well. 

• Love 4

Seems a bit harsh, but what do I know? I went to a lowly state school. 

Harsh only if you haven't met one of these princesses (and you would know if you had, they mention it almost immediately after you meet them). State schools are way better.

Ami and her idol Julia Collins typefied the stereotypical Wellesley grad - smug and inexplicably pleased with herself. 

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1

Never heard of a hinny. Instead of Brown Gown I guessed Dirt Skirt. Then Comcast decided to take the rest of the evening off. TV froze up a few questions into the Double Jeopardy! round and was out until after 10 pm. No TV, no internet, no phone. It sounds like I wouldn't have gotten Final Jeopardy!. Birthstones? Zodiac signs? No way would I have gotten the answer, whatever it was.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, dcalley said:

My memory may be wrong, but I think "marching orders" was in the clue.

Oh, I don't remember seeing that - you are probably right.

J! Archive doesn't have yesterday's game up yet.  I'll see if I can find it somewhere else.

eta: Yep, found it and you are correct.  Now I feel so stupid:(

eta: RIP Sue Grafton.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Well, I thought FJ was an instaget (teen tournament level) and was shocked when 2 of the contestants missed it. Now, question: If I had said "Mormans", would I be correct? If I had said "Church of Latter-Day Saints" (or just "latter-day saints"), would I be correct?

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Now, question: If I had said "Mormans", would I be correct? If I had said "Church of Latter-Day Saints" (or just "latter-day saints"), would I be correct?

I think the answer to question 1 is "yes" and to question 2 is "no"

For FJ, I would have written The Mormons.  Keep it simple to prevent those judges from interfering.

I actually thought about whether I would write out The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but I was afaid I would make some small mistake.

Like Gwynedd did.  Glad her mistake didn't affect the outcome the way it did in the Sergeant Pepper's game a few weeks ago.

Always keep it as simple as possible, especially in FJ.

• Love 9

Gwynedd had a little vocal fry going on in her endless interview.  Between that and the Stan Lee category, I'm surprised they cleared the board in the first round. 

It took me a minute for FJ, but I also said the Mormons.  I'm going to pretend they would have accepted that.

I was really surprised that fortune cookie was a TS.  And just a little surprised that Panem was.  I guess it's been long enough since Hunger Games was a thing that people have forgotten.  And given Santa Anita in the clue, it was a bit surprising that jockey was a TS, too.  I also managed Pompidou Center, knave, and Pinto. 

• Love 4

I thought George Woolf's occupation at Santa Anita was a no-brainer, but again, it had something to do with horses/animals so big duh to all players for not even knowing what Santa Anita is. And big DUH to me when I kept shouting "THE BOOK OF MORMON!" for FJ and calling all the players morons (as opposed to Mormons) for not knowing that super-simple answer. Then, DUH, the clue was to name the CHURCH that did that advertising. If I had actually read the clue, I would have said The Mormons so as not to get caught in the Sgt. Pepper write-the-entire-name problem. But as it was, I lost all my money on that FJ bet and went home a loser. Bwah.

Instead of Pinto I said Gremlin. And I was even around with friends driving Pintos when that gas-tank thing happened. I was really a loser this game.

• Love 3

Congrats, Henry!  I like him.  Gwynedd - ugh.  Why did Travis bet so much for FJ?

I only got fortune cookie and Pinto.

Good grief.  I had the worst goofy guess ever for FJ.  I said American Library Association.  LOL.  What a doofus!

• Love 10

After writing the snark about Alex making the contestant bios about himself, I paid attention today ... and he was NICE! and said "That's good" or "Good for you" to each one. If I didn't know these shows are taped way in advance, I would have thought PAs were reading here and told him to tone it back. Go figure!

• Love 3

Was there no one in wardrobe who could have taken Travis aside and helped him tie a proper knot?  [/pet peeve]  You're on national television, dude.

I would have written LDS for FJ.  

Congrats to Henry!  I was rooting for him.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats, Henry!  I like him.  Gwynedd - ugh.  Why did Travis bet so much for FJ?

I only got fortune cookie and Pinto.

Good grief.  I had the worst goofy guess ever for FJ.  I said American Library Association.  LOL.  What a doofus!

I'm goofy along with you!  I too said American Library Association, because it said book :)

• Love 2

I too wondered if Mormons would have been enough for FJ. 

I was really surprised that fortune cookie was a TS.  And just a little surprised that Panem was.  I guess it's been long enough since Hunger Games was a thing that people have forgotten.

I was just as surprised that Gilead was a TS, given all the attention and awards The Handmaid's Tale received this year. The contestants were all pretty bad at that Literary Places category; they didn't know Erewhon either. Also disappointing that no one knew "A prophet is not without honor..." It was even quoted in "Peanuts," though admittedly that was a long time ago.

After writing the snark about Alex making the contestant bios about himself, I paid attention today ... and he was NICE! and said "That's good" or "Good for you" to each one. If I didn't know these shows are taped way in advance, I would have thought PAs were reading here and told him to tone it back. Go figure!

He doesn't  make the interview about himself every day, but every now and then someone will say something that reminds him of one of his own experiences, and he just HAS to share it. I should ask an etiquette forum: At what point does mentioning a similar experience turn into "making it about you?" 

For a horrible moment I thought Gwynedd had won. I don't know why I was rooting against her. Maybe because, for a writer, she did a terrible job telling her "How I met my husband" story? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I struggled and came up with NEA. I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't think of The Book of Mormon.

There were a few clues where I "knew" the answer but just couldn't remember the answer. The only TSs I got were jockey and Pintos.

I've got to study pics of alpacas and llamas so I can discern the difference.

I like Henry, but he often made me nervous because I was afraid he would say the wrong thing. He seemed nervous too.

• Love 1

Congrats to Henry! He seemed nervous, but I liked that he didn't give the entire category name each time.

TS I got were corresponding angles, fortune cookie, file powder, jockey, Panem, Pinto

I also said Mormons for FJ. I think it would have been accepted.

8 hours ago, Trey said:

eta: RIP Sue Grafton.

I know! No "Z is for..." book. I did not realize she was 77. 

3 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Travis had a similar answer, so don't feel too bad!

3 hours ago, lb60 said:

Was there no one in wardrobe who could have taken Travis aside and helped him tie a proper knot?  [/pet peeve]  You're on national television, dude.

I wanted to straighten it out the entire game. 

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

For a horrible moment I thought Gwynedd had won. I don't know why I was rooting against her. Maybe because, for a writer, she did a terrible job telling her "How I met my husband" story? 

"OK, so, I was singing karaoke, wait - let me set the stage. So, blah blah, Against All Odds". Ugh! She's enthusiastic, I'll give her that. I did feel bad for her when she answered "&" rather than "of" in FJ. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've got to study pics of alpacas and llamas so I can discern the difference.

If the category hadn't been 6 letter words, I wouldn't have known either!

I said LDS church out loud, and wondered if I would have time to write the whole thing if I was on Jeopardy. And then I'd second guess the "of"s. I have a LDS friend who is very.... enthusiastic... about the fact that the church is not called the Mormon church. It's a whole thing. I don't know how rare or common a feeling it is, so I wouldn't have said the Mormons just to be safe. Maybe I'm overthinking it, haha

• Love 2

For a writer, she started her seemingly interminable story off with "so" - TWICE! She's not really a writer. Not a published one. Unless she's self-published, which, come to think of it, I wouldn't doubt.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Fex said:

If the category hadn't been 6 letter words, I wouldn't have known either!

Doh! I forgot about that. See! I stupidly forget the category name from time to time.

eta: OK, I googled... For future reference, in addition to being bigger, llamas have longer, banana-shaped ears and longer faces than alpacas.

Edited by peeayebee
llama vs alpaca
  • Love 2

I noticed the "problem" with Travis's tie, too, and decided to cut him a break for at least WEARING a tie and making the effort. But I forgot all about this show having wardrobe and makeup people, so yeah, three strikes against wardrobe for not fixing that mess.

GreekGeek asked: "At what point does mentioning a similar experience turn into "making it about you?"" My answer: If you are asking a person to relate an interesting antidote about him/herself, and only have one minute to do so, the host saying ANYTHING about his own experiences turns the focus back on himself. Let the contestant have his/her minute of Andy Warhol fame. Alex is there every freaking day and gets to do his cr*ppy impressions and fake accents to his heart's content. Those people across the stage from him will be gone 20 minutes later. My vote: STFU Trebek.

• Love 11

I liked Travis better than Henry but Henry is pretty good too - hope he gets his nerves under control.

My ts's were file powder, jockey, knee breeches, and honour.

I said Mormons for FJ.  I know I would have messed it up if I had to give the full name.

1 hour ago, Barb1959 said:

I know this is off subject....but I did not know that Sue Grafton had died.  Thanks Trey for that info.  I've read all of her books except Y is for Yesterday.

I wasn't sure I should even put the remark on this board but I figure she and her books have been featured on Jeopardy! often enough that we would all know who she is.  I haven't read Y is for Yesterday yet either.  I will be sad when I do read it. She died only yesterday.  I saw it on tv news, confirmed it online and posted it here.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences

By Jeopardy! rules, that's an incorrect answer. It's Academy of Motion Picture (singular) Arts & Sciences. 

16 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

"OK, so, I was singing karaoke, wait - let me set the stage. So, blah blah, Against All Odds". Ugh! She's enthusiastic, I'll give her that. I did feel bad for her when she answered "&" rather than "of" in FJ. 

She did end it with "Take a look at us now!" Maybe it's because I'm trying to shake a cold so I was feeling unusually snarky, but I responded with the next line in the song: "There's just an empty space." 

I said the Mormons too. 

• Love 7

A little aside about George Woolf, the jockey that was a TS. He was friends with Red Pollard, who rode Seabiscuit. When Red was injured, George rode Seabiscuit in the famous match race against War Admiral, which Seabiscuit won. Woolf later said Seabiscuit was the best horse he had ever ridden. He was the most popular jockey of the era and rode almost exclusively at Santa Anita where there is a statue of him, and an annual award is given to a jockey in his name by the Jockey Guild. He died tragically in a racing accident at age 35. Woolf's nickname was The Iceman for his cool attitude. That might be a Jeopardy! question some day. The handsome "real" jockey Gary Stevens played Woolf in the movie "Seabiscuit." Again, another good Jeopardy! possible clue!

• Love 12

I know this is off subject....but I did not know that Sue Grafton had died.

It's not really off subject since she was the answer to a clue recently. I did a book signing back in 1998 with the lovely, gracious Sue, and we became friends. Color me devastated.

Her daughter said the alphabet stops with Y.

Z was going to be Z is For Zero

For a writer, she started her seemingly interminable story off with "so" - TWICE!

LOL. I wondered how many people would notice that...aside from moi!

Add me to the "Mormon Church" brigade.

• Love 6

I loved Sue Grafton books and always looked forward to a new one like a child anticipating a Christmas present.  I will miss her literary presence dearly. Sometimes you don't have to be "edgy" or "trendy,"    I found Kinsey hilarious..and after reading her describe a McDonald's apple pie (the old one) like sucking hot glue, I could never look at it the same.  I so totally respect the fact that she did not allow the series to be made into tv movies,etc.  Look what they did to Stephanie Plum and Lynley andHavers (dark haired and slim).   Sometimes it is great to just imagine the characters in our minds. 

Now I guess we all can write our own ending for Kinsey.  I didn't know she was ill. 

I also don't know how quick Henry is with the buzzer.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

She did end it with "Take a look at us now!" Maybe it's because I'm trying to shake a cold so I was feeling unusually snarky, but I responded with the next line in the song: "There's just an empty space." 

LM (also sick) AO!!! 

27 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

It's not really off subject since she was the answer to a clue recently. I did a book signing back in 1998 with the lovely, gracious Sue, and we became friends. Color me devastated.

Her daughter said the alphabet stops with Y.

Z was going to be Z is For Zero

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I read that quote about the alphabet ending at Y as far as the family was concerned, and thought that was so sad. 

1 minute ago, catrice2 said:

I loved Sue Grafton books and always looked forward to a new one like a child anticipating a Christmas present.  I will miss her literary presence dearly. Sometimes you don't have to be "edgy" or "trendy,"    I found Kinsey hilarious..and after reading her describe a McDonald's apple pie (the old one) like sucking hot glue, I could never look at it the same.  I so totally respect the fact that she did not allow the series to be made into tv movies,etc.  Look what they did to Stephanie Plum and Lynley andHavers (dark haired and slim).   Sometimes it is great to just imagine the characters in our minds. 

Now I guess we all can write our own ending for Kinsey.  I didn't know she was ill. 

I also don't know how quick Henry is with the buzzer.  

I didn't know she had cancer either, but from what I have read she went downhill quickly after having improved for a while. 

• Love 4

Gosh, I love Jeopardy and I always have.  I am known in my family as Rain Man, not because I am smart, but because I can tell you when Jeopardy comes on in any city in any time zone, and when I am visiting my family knows that we have to plan everything around making sure I watch it, or that it is somehow recorded.  It has been good to see so much diversity on the show this year, and I mean in personalities more than anything else, as well as female representation. 

This thread today has been depressing for me.  I have read so many books with the female detective, PI, police woman, lawyer,  and just everyday average person who solves crimes. With all this talk of Sue Grafton I compiled a list of my favorite  detective/mystery characters over the years and realized that most of the authors have passed away or they are in their 70's or older.  Some of them I knew about and mourned when they passed away and their characters along with them.  I have been an avid reader as long as I can remember. My mom took me t the library three or four times a week when I was a child, it was our thing.  Both of us were speed readers and we couldn't put a book down before we picked up another one.   I have wondered why so many of my favorite characters faded away and/or there is only a book every two to three years.   I have got to go find a thread, site or something to express how I feel.  The sad thing about it is that none of the current female writers are as interesting or seem capable of the same longevity.  Quite a few are British and it is always more difficult to find out news about those authors unless they are as popular as P.D. James.  I did not find out about Jill McGown until two or three years after she passed away and I see Edna Buchanan's novel has been delayed. 

Here's to all the ladies who have frequently been Jeopardy clues....may  worthy newcomers soon be discovered. 

• Love 6
On 12/29/2017 at 7:34 PM, saber5055 said:

Instead of Pinto I said Gremlin.

I was the usual back-seat passenger in my college roommate's Pinto, so I still have nightmares about those cars. (In rear-end collisions, the rear bumper would slide forward, making the doors impossible to open -- and the gas tank was right behind the point of impact.) Knowing that Ford was aware of this defect (and rumor had it, had set aside money for liability settlements), and knowing that people my age burned alive inside those cars.... like I said, the stuff of my nightmares.

What was the FJ mistake? Latter Day Saint instead of Saints?

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 4