Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike Suzanne more than I did yesterday, but yes, it is possible. If I had been watching in 3D, her boobs would have put out my eye, or at the least, smothered me to death. That girl needs to learn how to put the girls away. Except they do cause men to lose their minds for some abstract reason that's beyond me. So I guess she's working them.

I was so irritated with her answer of "willow" in the fireworks category, then Trebek fills in, "Yes, weeping willow." WTH Trebek. There are more than 10 varieties of willow, and most have multiple names. "Weeping" is just one of them. There's bebb willow, corkscrew willow, coyote willow, dappled willow, goat willow, peach willow, purple osier willow, scouler's willow, white willow, yellow willow and so on. And of course, there's Mr. Trump's favorite: the pussy willow.

7 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Now see? If that had been my FJ I'd be a champ right now! :-P 

If only. I would have paid money to have you switch days. Today's FJ was so easy that I knew it, and I haven't gotten a FJ since Magic Eight Ball.

10 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

I know they wouldn't have a live show on a holiday.

They don't have live shows ever on Jeopardy.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Now see? If that had been my FJ I'd be a champ right now! :-P 

I thought the exact thing and was just coming here to say that! In addition to FJ, I got Channel Zero and Lafayette. It was a good, if somewhat low-key game. And talk about boring contestant stories - Liz bakes pies for Thanksgiving! She might even go crazy and do pecan in addition to apple. Kate homeschools because it's fun! Wake me when it's over. Zzzzzz....

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That girl needs to learn how to put the girls away. Except they do cause men to lose their minds for some abstract reason that's beyond me. So I guess she's working them.

She's trying to mesmerize Alex with her "daily doubles".

• Love 10

Maybe Suzanne is just calm, but she comes off as bored to death.  The other two ladies were good contestants, but I was rooting for Liz.

That pancreas DD was way too easy.

I didn't get any TS, but I had the FJ answer written out in full before Alex finished reading the clue.

• Love 8
(edited)
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike Suzanne more than I did yesterday, but yes, it is possible. If I had been watching in 3D, her boobs would have put out my eye, or at the least, smothered me to death. That girl needs to learn how to put the girls away. Except they do cause men to lose their minds for some abstract reason that's beyond me. So I guess she's working them.

I was so irritated with her answer of "willow" in the fireworks category, then Trebek fills in, "Yes, weeping willow." WTH Trebek. There are more than 10 varieties of willow, and most have multiple names. "Weeping" is just one of them. There's bebb willow, corkscrew willow, coyote willow, dappled willow, goat willow, peach willow, purple osier willow, scouler's willow, white willow, yellow willow and so on. And of course, there's Mr. Trump's favorite: the pussy willow.

If only. I would have paid money to have you switch days. Today's FJ was so easy that I knew it, and I haven't gotten a FJ since Magic Eight Ball.

They don't have live shows ever on Jeopardy.

Suzanne's chest doesn't bother me, although I obviously noticed it. I actually think she has done a good job of not being overtly sexy. She hasn't worn anything low-cut, and she's as entitled as any human being to wear fitted tops. As a large-breasted gal myself, it can be difficult to dress in a way that doesn't emphasize them. Eevrything has to be tried on and finding things that fit your upper body, don't gap, don't hang like a potato sack, and still look stylish and appropriate to the situation can be a very difficult proposition.

I do agree that "willow" should have earned a BMS. Lots of different kinds of willows.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 15

That was an exciting game.  High scores all around. 

And from recent games, I know its a specific brand name, but the fact you get counted wrong for 'Elf on a Shelf' instead of 'Elf on the Shelf', yet you can say "Williams" or the one that annoyed me recently "vacation" and its correct seems just wrong.  Why are proper names not enforced like brand names or book names?  Seems inconsistent to me. 

I knew FJ was about Woodstock and game up with the 3 names right at the end of the music.  Not sure what Young was doing at the time but somehow he missed out. 

But that is before my time, so not even sure how I know it

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

Suzanne's chest doesn't bother me, although I obviously noticed it. I actually think she has done a good job of not being overtly sexy. She hasn't worn anything low-cut, and she's as entitled as any human being to wear fitted tops. As a large-breasted gal myself, it can be difficult to dress in a way that doesn't emphasize them. Eevrything has to be tried on and finding things that fit your upper body, don't gap, don't hang like a potato sack, and still look stylish and appropriate to the situation can be a very difficult proposition.

Thank you for this.  My daughters have the same issue, and trying to dress modestly yet attractively is difficult.

Way to go Jeopardy with having Suzanne talk about a flotation device story.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

I knew FJ was about Woodstock and game up with the 3 names right at the end of the music.  Not sure what Young was doing at the time but somehow he missed out. 

I know, right?! Neil Young was the one name I *could* remember, but since the clue asked for three I knew it was the other three (whose names just wouldn't come to me).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

That was an exciting game.  High scores all around. 

And from recent games, I know its a specific brand name, but the fact you get counted wrong for 'Elf on a Shelf' instead of 'Elf on the Shelf', yet you can say "Williams" or the one that annoyed me recently "vacation" and its correct seems just wrong.  Why are proper names not enforced like brand names or book names?  Seems inconsistent to me. 

I'm pretty sure Neil Young actually was with the band at Woodstock (he had just joined CS&N.)  He wasn't with them at Woodstock '94.

I wish tonight's FJ had been last night's!

• Love 4

9 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I'm pretty sure Neil Young actually was with the band at Woodstock (he had just joined CS&N.)  He wasn't with them at Woodstock '94.

I wish tonight's FJ had been last night's!

It wasn't before my time :)  I actually saw Crosby,Stills,Nash&Young perform "Ohio" right after Kent State...that's why I did not think of them...I remember them as 4 members, not 3.

• Love 5

Ah, see, I hesitated before settling on Crosby Stills and Nash because I thought Young was with them back then. So he was off that day?

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was so irritated with her answer of "willow" in the fireworks category, then Trebek fills in, "Yes, weeping willow." WTH Trebek. There are more than 10 varieties of willow, and most have multiple names.

Not only that, but the clue had a reference to crying or sobbing, so you'd think "weeping" would be required.

2 hours ago, Kathira said:

I thought the exact thing and was just coming here to say that! In addition to FJ, I got Channel Zero and Lafayette.

I've never heard of Channel Zero.

I didn't get any TSs, but I guess I got one of the DDs:  I couldn't come up with a first name, so I just said Russell, which would have been accepted, I presume.

I could google, but I don't feel like it -- What's the connection betw St Catherine and the pinwheel firework?

• Love 4
(edited)
18 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

hesitated before settling on Crosby Stills and Nash because I thought Young was with them back then. So he was off that day?

He played the original though not their whole set and refused to be filmed. However, he wasn’t there in 1994. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Hmmm. According to the web, the group that performed at Woodstock consisted of four members (CSN&Y) and it was only their second live appearance as a foursome.

Joni Mitchell wrote the song Woodstock based on what Graham Nash told her about being there. It was recorded and released by Crosby Stills Nash & Young (as well as a couple other artists, separately).

So why the clue had to do with only the three original members of the band is mystifying. Both the live appearance in 1969 and the recording involved a quartet.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

So why the clue had to do with only the three original members of the band is mystifying. Both the live appearance in 1969 and the recording involved a quartet

The 3 (sans Neil) played it at Woodstock '94.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I could google, but I don't feel like it -- What's the connection betw St Catherine and the pinwheel firework?

It refers to her method of martyrdom.

From Britannica.com -

St. Catherine of Alexandria is not mentioned before the 9th century, and her historicity is doubtful. According to legend, she was an extremely learned young girl of noble birth, possibly a princess. She protested the persecution of Christians under the Roman emperor Maxentius—whose wife and several soldiers she converted while imprisoned—and defeated the most eminent scholars summoned by Maxentius to oppose her. During her subsequent torture, she professed that she had consecrated her virginity to Jesus Christ, her spouse, and was sentenced to death. The spiked wheel by which she was to be killed broke when she touched it (whence the term Catherine wheel), and she was then beheaded.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

But the clue was about the firework effect.  And according to several different online sites about fireworks, the name of the effect is simply "Willow."

See Phantom Fireworks' page, for example: https://fireworks.com/pages/popular-effects

You're probably right. The judges certainly thought so! Hope everyone had a great 4th, btw. There's a park near us where we can see not only our own town fireworks, but several from surrounding towns/suburbs. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

St. Catherine of Alexandria is not mentioned before the 9th century, and her historicity is doubtful. According to legend, she was an extremely learned young girl of noble birth, possibly a princess. She protested the persecution of Christians under the Roman emperor Maxentius—whose wife and several soldiers she converted while imprisoned—and defeated the most eminent scholars summoned by Maxentius to oppose her. During her subsequent torture, she professed that she had consecrated her virginity to Jesus Christ, her spouse, and was sentenced to death. The spiked wheel by which she was to be killed broke when she touched it (whence the term Catherine wheel), and she was then beheaded.

Thanks, and ugh.

• Love 4

I missed the comments about the new Champion's chesst. As someone who understands I wish people knew how disappointing it is to not be able to buy a lot of the cute clothing you want, how expensive it is to buy bras, and not to mention the back pain.  It's not as if you can disguise them, and anything you do you're accused of highlighting them. Give her a break. Thus far she's been a good Champion she's not really that annoying and she's made some smart wagers.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

No Jeopardy here due to coverage of storms & flooding. Figures I missed a good game with 3 non-annoying contestants. Boo hiss.

Same here.  News coverage.  All.  Day.  Long.  Just as well though.  It was bad in Houston.  Really bummed for all those who missed out on Freedom Over Texas or who had flooding in their homes.  Again.

Happy that FJ on Tuesday was an IG for me.  I had just been reading about Anne Frank a short time earlier and had The Netherlands stuck in my head.  Also, have a friend who was born in Hellevoetsluis.  I'm looking forward to the day when Hellevoetsluis is a J! question.  

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Thus far she's been a good Champion she's not really that annoying and she's made some smart wagers.

Yes, she IS annoying in that she sent two PTV family members home, Scott and Jim. That does not endear her to me. And she's not the first to be ranked on here for a chest display. There are ways to cover those girls better. If you want to. I own a couple myself so know all about it.

5 hours ago, Kathira said:

The spiked wheel by which she was to be killed broke when she touched it (whence the term Catherine wheel), and she was then beheaded.

Jeezus, that's way gruesome. But thanks for the info Kathira.

8 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

So why the clue had to do with only the three original members of the band is mystifying. Both the live appearance in 1969 and the recording involved a quartet.

I easily got FJ, then looked them up online as I remember one of them leaving to go solo. As it turns out, people were in and out of that band so much, I had to stop reading, it all got too confusing. I'm glad I hadn't read about them before seeing FJ as their crazy history of now-I'm-a-member, now-I'm-not would have made me ASSume it was not them.

Actually, my first thought was Three Dog Night, although I don't know how many members are in that band, just that there are three dogs. I don't think that would have counted.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

But the clue was about the firework effect.  And according to several different online sites about fireworks, the name of the effect is simply "Willow."

What are you, a smartie pants or something? Like you are smart enough to get on Jeopardy?

Oh ... right. Never mind.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

The clue was "You might cry with joy after seeing the firework here (pic). Named for this tree." To me, they were looking for Weeping Willow.

• Love 7
(edited)

Ok. I’ll cook for you...anything you want. If you lose I want Taco Bell. 2 Taco Supremes. Well, unless there is a Popeyes nearby. That will save you from having to open the box of Frosted Flakes. This may kill you but the only cereal I eat is Cherrios. Dry. Out of the box like a snack and that’s even rare for me. It’s something I’ll pick up in an airport when traveling. 

Edited to add: I’m totally down for the Fritos. Love them. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1

Hello all, all info about new episodes should be under spoiler tags as some people really want to be surprised. Please edit accordingly. Thank you!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Athena said:

Hello all, all info about new episodes should be under spoiler tags

Might it be helpful to give a description of what is being spoiled?  Some viewers might want to see the name of a contestant in tomorrow's game, but not who wins or any of the questions.

• Love 1

The spiked wheel by which she was to be killed broke when she touched it (whence the term Catherine wheel), and she was then beheaded.

Hmmm... there's a book in the above.

I mean, if all the Tudor beheadings were bestsellers...

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Actually, my first thought was Three Dog Night, although I don't know how many members are in that band, just that there are three dogs. I don't think that would have counted.

There were 3 lead singers, but it was a bigger band (I forget how many, I'm a vocalist gal, myself). The name refers to, I think, an Australian saying about cold nights and how many dogs it takes to keep you warm- a three dog night is a cold one. Unless it's a chihuahua. Then it'd be many more dogs.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The name refers to, I think, an Australian saying about cold nights and how many dogs it takes to keep you warm- a three dog night is a cold one. Unless it's a chihuahua. Then it'd be many more dogs.

You are correct about the name. All my nights are currently three-dog ones. Winter is excellent as all three get under the blankets and yes, they do indeed keep one warm on the coldest nights. I used to have six-dog nights, which doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely as three. But it was plenty warm.

50 minutes ago, Driad said:

Might it be helpful to give a description of what is being spoiled?  Some viewers might want to see the name of a contestant in tomorrow's game, but not who wins or any of the questions.

Driad, I look at jeopardy.com to see the contestants who are scheduled for each day. You won't know the returning champ until he/she is known, but you can see the picture, name, occupation and hometown of the scheduled players for every day of the current week.

The spoiler announcement was for me, I gave the subject for one of today's categories since I play J6 every morning. I won't be doing that again any time soon though. Or any time later either.

18 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I wonder if Josh Hill (the Bucktown Tiger) is attending!  I may just have to hang out downtown and look for him.

This is SO AWESOME! Please do go, and let us know what (who) you find! I miss The Tiger.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Driad, I look at jeopardy.com to see the contestants who are scheduled for each day. You won't know the returning champ until he/she is known, but you can see the picture, name, occupation and hometown of the scheduled players for every day of the current week.

I just meant that people may consider some information more spoilery than others, so it might help if people who conceal spoilers add a note about what kind of information the spoiler is.

• Love 4

By the way, St. Catherine of Alexandria, while fictional, was supposedly created as an oppostion to a real female philospher, Hypatia of Alexandria. 

From Wikipedia - 

Hypatia (born c. 350–370; died 415 AD) was a Hellenistic Neoplatonist philosopher, astronomer, and mathematician, who lived in Alexandria, Egypt, then part of the Eastern Roman Empire. She was a prominent thinker of the Neoplatonic school in Alexandria, where she taught philosophy and astronomy. She is the first female mathematician whose life is reasonably well recorded. Hypatia was renowned in her own lifetime as a great teacher and a wise counselor....

Towards the end of her life, Hypatia advised Orestes, the Roman prefect of Alexandria, who was in the midst of a feud with Cyril, the bishop of Alexandria. Rumors spread accusing her of preventing Orestes from reconciling with Cyril and, in March 415 AD, she was murdered by a mob of Christian monks....

Hypatia's death shocked the empire and transformed her into a "martyr for philosophy", leading future Neoplatonists such as Damascius to become increasingly fervent in their opposition to Christianity. During the Middle Ages, Hypatia was co-opted as a symbol of Christian virtue and scholars believe she was part of the basis for the legend of Saint Catherine of Alexandria. During .the Age of Enlightenment, she became a symbol of opposition to Catholicism. In the nineteenth century, European literature, especially Charles Kingsley's 1853 novel Hypatia, romanticized her as "the last of the Hellenes" In the twentieth century, Hypatia became seen as an icon for women's rights and a precursor to the feminist movement.

I think that in the 21st century, she should be the patron of Jeopardy contestants.

• Love 4

I didn't understand. There was a category about books and authors, yet some of the answers were women. The category title didn't mention WOMEN authors. I think they're slipping.

You know, for FJ I guessed Margaret Mitchell and even after Alex's annoying pre-reveal clue, I still thought I was right! (I am bad at time frames.)

• Love 9

I got FJ once again thanks to a refresher on US history from the earliest colonial period through Reconstruction courtesy of my son's 7th grade social studies homework. On to the 20th century next year. Future Jeopardy contestants would do well to buff up on middle school social studies!

Also got Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo and Dostoyevsky. How those things coexist in my brain is a mystery for the ages.

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, SHD said:

You know, for FJ I guessed Margaret Mitchell and even after Alex's annoying pre-reveal clue, I still thought I was right! (I am bad at time frames.)

But at least you picked an American Author, which was the category, unlike the guy on the end.  Agatha Christie was a very bad guess.  It took me about half the think time, but I did finally come up with the correct FJ.  I might have only had time to write down Stowe, though -- do you think they would have given it to me? 

I also got Dostoevsky and manifold.  And didn't the new champ get a resounding "Good for you!"?  Big drink!

• Love 7

Yesterday (or whatever day that was) I got Lafayette but followed it up with "America's favorite fighting Frenchman!"

Today I wanted so very badly for Steve to answer with "Who is Rick James, bitch?!?!?" 

I don't know what this says about me.

Today I also got manifold and Breakin.

Did Alex say that Mark Twain said that "this is the little lady" quote? Wasn't that Lincoln?

• Love 13
1 minute ago, helpmerhonda said:

Yesterday (or whatever day that was) I got Lafayette but followed it up with "America's favorite fighting Frenchman!"

Today I wanted so very badly for Steve to answer with "Who is Rick James, bitch?!?!?" 

Today I also got manifold and Breakin.

Did Alex say that Mark Twain said that "this is the little lady" quote? Wasn't that Lincoln?

Final Jeopardy was easy. I got ghee and Rick Warren. I was surprised Suzanne struggled so much.

• Love 3

@saber5055 Ha, I loved the horse category and got all of them that were revealed. I was surprised that Suzanne seemed to like them and then she had to go and screw up by doing that Scrabble clue for 1k instead of the last horse one. Drats. I almost had hope when Steve was trying to spit out that as the buzzer rang. I also cleared the butter category. I cook with ghee sometimes. I got Dostoyevsky and FJ. I toyed with saying Laura Ingalls Wilder first but remembered that she was recently stripped of an award for the racism in her books. Meaning she’s not as popular anymore for girls to read. 

Lake Lure in NC was where they filmed parts of Dirty Dancing. Think the scene where Patrick Swayze is lifting her up where they are in the water so if she falls it won’t be onto a hard floor. The water was cold during filming. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@saber5055 Ha, I loved the horse category and got all of them that were revealed. I was surprised that Suzanne seemed to like them and then she had to go and screw up by doing that Scrabble clue for 1k instead of the last horse one. Drats. I almost had hope when Steve was trying to spit out that as the buzzer rang.

I owe you Taco Bell because I did not know the horse clue about Roman gods or whatever that one was. Not in a million years. Plus I knew that category wouldn't be finished, even though yes, Steve tried at the end. My cold black heart melted a little for Suzanne as she liked the horse category too. Not that she's a bad person mind you.

Speaking of Suzanne, thank you for looking great today (seriously!) in the black sweater. Perfect outfit for national tv. Plus she had time overnight between games to take her winnings and buy that pendant. What's up with Trebek not saying something about that? I liked it, too. I also liked her FJ bet. That's what I would do if I were last. Bet nothing and cross my fingers.

I thought Steve was going to win and I was okay with that, although I'm waiting for someone to comment on his "hunnerts."

14 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I kind of spaced what he said, but it was Lincoln who reportedly said, when Stowe came to the WH, that she was the little lady who started that big war.

Steve TOTALLY goofed up when he said Frankenstein, then realized his mistake and stopped. If he had said Mary Shelley right away, he would have been ruled correct. Because $100,000 Pyramid Rule you know. Say as many words as you can until you say the right ones.

I got the TS of manifold. I guess it was Before Their Time when people used to crawl under their cars to do their own repairs. I did anyway.

Mindthinkr, for acing that horse category, you also get a DQ Blizzard treat of your choice.

Oh: I also got FJ. What's up with me getting it correct two days in a row. Is this Toddler Jeopardy or what?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I miss The Tiger.

Same here.

<tiger claws>

1 hour ago, SHD said:

Mitchell was my guess, except I thought I was wrong.  I'm also bad with time frames/dates.

15 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

lol

18 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I think it says you're awesome.  :-)

Tonight I got manifold and Michael Flynn.  I was shocked no one knew him.  Then again, I'm an MSNBC junkie, where his name is frequently mentioned.  lol

• Love 7

I couldn’t remember Michael Flynn’s name, and was randomly shouting out names of former members of this administration.  And there are quite a few.

LOL @saber5055 about the pendant — I thought the same thing!

@Mindthinkr, I believe that scene of Dirty Dancing was actually filmed at Mountain Lake, just a short ways up the road from where I live in Virginia.  Lots of the movie was shot there, despite it not being mentioned in the E! True Hollywood Story about it.

• Love 6