Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I might have gotten "dap" if the hands were black and if they had a quick video and not a still picture. I've never heard dap used to refer to as simply a fist bump.
I'm growing weary of Austin, but also kind of rooting for him. I miss his big FJ bets though.
TS's I got were All Things Considered and Lift Every Voice and Sing. There was something else but I can't remember now.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

His health care joke didn't even make much sense. I got the point, health care is expensive, but he was blaming it on rich people and comparing it to giving away nice clothes.  Not a parallel that makes much sense. 

Maybe I read too much into it, but a certain pretty powerful American has a building -- a tower, one might say -- located on the Upper East Side in NYC.  So I took Austin's comment as aimed at a particular person rather than random rich people.  (It's hard to keep politics out of one's comment when commenting on someone's political comment!)

59 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No one knew All Things Considered? 

I didn't get it, and I listen to the show! For some reason, couldn't get "for your consideration" out of my head.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 7

TSs I got were The Middle, dap, and All Things Considered. I was yelling at Brian, "All Things Considered! All Things Considered!" 

After a few days of easy DD, wouldn't you know that he'd get a tough one. 

I couldn't quite come up with Jane Auel. I could almost see it on the book jacket. Four letters, Aul....? Oh well.

For one of the mattress clues, I would have said Select Comfort instead of Sleep Number. I think both are acceptable.

Re FJ, I slapped my head when sepia was revealed. Of course sepia is a nostalgia hue. My guess was cyan because of sea-an. *shame*

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

What was with Insufferable Unfunny Smug Chewbacca's weird pronunciation of "Ahhhh-tala"?  

His pronunciation of Attila was the one we used in Turkish class so it's entirely possible he knows a Turk named Attila.

• Love 6

Alex is VERY deferential to Austin, it is distracting. I was really annoyed with Alex yesterday when he said "900 only?" for Austin's FJ wager. Yeah, a runaway game would cease to be a runaway if someone bet more than their winning differential, Alex, dumbass.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I had no idea what the pantomimes were last night.  Anybody know? Last night was the closest to not being a runaway game - maybe soon....fingers crossed....

I thought he was pantomiming an umpire. Called someone out, took off his mask, drew a new ball out of his pouch, etc. Utterly pointless and beyond twee. I'm so sick of this guy. I'm Brooklyn born and bred and have had more than enough of hipsters - from Westchester, no less - who think they "discovered" this kitschy little boro. Buys his clothes at thrifts shops - how unheard of! He plays fine, but I agree with whoever said he's more arrogant than quirky. And I'm surprised at some of the categories he sits out. Yet, I can tell in the first 5 minutes whether any of the new contestants are up to the challenge and sadly most of them haven't been. Sigh.

• Love 10

So I guess Smokey Robinson is NOT too august or austere or whatever for such indignity? Good to know, Austin. 

Aw c'mon, be fair. Austin had a contest to name his bike. He didn't pull the name out of thin air.

Smokey Robinson, whom I adore, is 77. I think he'd love having a bike named after him.

(It's hard to keep politics out of one's comment when commenting on someone's political comment!)

THIS! But I'll try :)  I've read Austin's pre-Jeopardy! tweets. His politics match mine and he's not shy about stating them, which -- to me -- is another plus.

• Love 4

First time posting here, so don't hit me too hard.

I'm a J! fan (obviously) and from Canada... and my first thought when I saw Austin was that he reminded me of the guy who plays Riggs in Lethal Weapon (Clayne Crawford)... similar face shape, messy hair and goofiness.

The second thing I noticed was that he missed the "What is Canada?" portion of his answer (early on) after he got the Panama portion... seemed so easy to me!

Had to ponder why he intrigues me - because he does, and only partially due to his extensive trivia knowledge. There are things I like about him: the way he runs a category, starting at the top (smile); his big wagers; his speed; some of his quirkiness. There are things that irritate me: his hair (better now); the rest of his quirkiness. All in all, he's a J! champion and he'll go down as one of the best ever in terms of his winnings and OTT personality.

Big thank you to the person who posted the dog video... love it!

• Love 5

Quote: "When I said I wondered how many marriage proposals Austin had received, I was thinking of the money he'd won." My response: "Money isn't everything." As for those who think Austin is just "quirky" and not "conceited," scroll back a page or two where I posted quotes from Austin's Jeopardy interview that was sent to my email, in which he says he considers himself the SMARTEST PERSON IN THE WORLD. I don't know about anyone else, but to me that shouts Big Head Conceited. I also was offended that in that same interview, Austin related a story about how he and his brother would "piss off" their parents. Maybe it's just me, but if I were interviewed by Jeopardy for something that would be posted for the entire world to read, I would have said "make our parents mad."

• Love 3

If Austin were a 5-year-old, he would be described as "precocious." This is not a type of person I would choose to be friends with. But as long as he keeps winning thrilling DDs and gives up the "I hate such-and-such" testimonials, he is watchable.

(I really hope his referring to himself as "the smartest person in the world" is facetious, although he should know that sarcasm/joking is not obvious in print, DUH, "smarty" :-P)

• Love 2

I think half the stuff he says is facetious, and he loves that people here take it so seriously.  I must be one of the few people who loved his wild hair better than his current look.  I don't pay attention to his pantomimes and just watch him play.  I love the way he plays.  I love that when he misses an answer he doesn't let it bother him.  I think that's been the undoing of some good contestants, that after they miss something they lose their concentration.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I thought FJ was *very* easy. I'm weary of the pantomimes. Enough, already.

I think we should try to guess before each show what he's going to mime. Let's see... He's done pouring wine, doing Rubik's cube, conducting, being an ump (I guess)... I can't remember what else. Did he mime making balloon animals? I think he should mime playing Jeopardy. Seriously. That would actually be funny.

29 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I think half the stuff he says is facetious, and he loves that people here take it so seriously.  

I think so too, but I don't find that charming. I think he's being divisive just to be divisive, to see the reaction. Maybe he also has bets or whatever with his friends as to what he should do or say.

• Love 10

Quote: "I think half the stuff he says is facetious, and he loves that people here take it so seriously." I personally don't think Austin gives a flying whit about what anyone here thinks. We are all doltish morons (yes, morons) because, remember, he fancies himself the smartest person in the world. If he weren't such a tool, I would actually admire him and his play. As it is, I wish him nothing but the worst. He cannot be off my teevee screen soon enough.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I think we should try to guess before each show what he's going to mime. Let's see... He's done pouring wine, doing Rubik's cube, conducting, being an ump (I guess)... I can't remember what else. Did he mime making balloon animals? I think he should mime playing Jeopardy. Seriously. That would actually be funny.

I'm guessing he'll mime riding Spokey Robinson soon.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Scarlett really knew her Dolly Parton!

If I didn't know better, I would cry fix--a Dolly Parton category on the day a Tennessee woman comes up against a very divisive champ? The rest of her game was impressive, too, although I did get concerned when she faltered on a few questions and Austin pulled ahead! 

• Love 1

I hope Dolly Parton gives Scarlett a call, she's just nice enough to do that.

What happened with the money there at the end?  We thought she hadn't bet enough and then boom the numbers were gone.  Why do they always take them away so fast, I like to see by just how much they won.

• Love 4

I'm gobsmacked and already can't stand Scarlett.  Alex said 4 players have made more money than Austin.  Ken J and who else?  I wonder if that includes the players from the special,tournaments.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

What happened with the money there at the end?  We thought she hadn't bet enough and then boom the numbers were gone.  Why do they always take them away so fast, I like to see by just how much they won.

Austin: 16,600+16,550=33,150
Scarlett: 21,200+12,001=33,201, which is twice Austin's 16,600 plus 1.
Sean: 2800-1800=1000

• Love 4

I was not a fan of Austin's annoying mime-ing, etc....but tonight he seemed tired and Scarlet was hitting the buzzer before him, and he seemed relieved at the end that she had won.  He truly looked happy and excited for Scarlet.  And FJ was easy!

• Love 7

I was out and missed Austin's last day, but ead the FJ clue. That seems like an instaget to me. Holiday movie, 1947 study about a guy screwed over by the banks. 

34 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Ken J and who else?

Top 5 standard Jeopardy! winners: Ken Jennings, Dave Madden, Julia Collins, Matt Jackson, then Austin Rogers. Quite the elite group. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I'm gobsmacked and already can't stand Scarlett.  Alex said 4 players have made more money than Austin.  Ken J and who else?  I wonder if that includes the players from the special,tournaments.

Dave Madden, Julia Collins, and Matt Jackson., according to http://stuarte.co/2015/all-time-jeopardy-winners/  Although it says 2015, it's been updated to include Austin and Seth.

Why do you dislike Scarlett?

ETA: I see DrScottie beat me to the list.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1

?? Happy dance!  Happy dance!??. Ding dong, Chewy's gone, Dick Tree Chewy's gone!

I'd marry Scarlett and have her children, if I wasn't a menopausal old broad.  ;-)  I loved Sean's cat cafe story.

I got musk ox (Chewy's missed DD), June, Pecos, and ashram.

FJ was an instaget.

16 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

My new name for Austin was gonna be Dick Tree. Oh, well.

I used it for you.  Hee!

• Love 14
23 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I expect he is going to be on here for awhile.  No one recently has even had a shot. 

Foreshadowing! 

3 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Austin made me laugh for the first time yesterday when he answered Fear of a Black Planet as the groundbreaking N.W.A album.  My knowledge of hip-hop is surface at best, and even I know the difference between N.W.A and Public Enemy.

Right? That was hilarrible. 

2 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

I loathed Austin but he acted so happy for Scarlett – all is forgiven.

Same.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

"What is a dick"

"I am not aware of a dick tree".

While Chewy is regaling his bar buddies with his exploits, I know there's going to be one guy who reminds him of that stupid answer, and that makes me happy.

• Love 4

I am glad Austin is gone and was never a fan but I have to say he was a classy and gracious loser and that is a rare talent these days.  Also he and Scarlet seemed to really be getting along well at the end.  Now that I won't have to watch him every night, I wish him well and can admit that maybe he wasn't as horrible as I thought.  Clearly he was smart and gutsy.  Enjoy your winnings, dude!

• Love 10