Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, TipseyGirl said:

You can't. At least I couldn't the last time I was through there. Shennanigans.

I just went through Schipol in July on my way to Poland.  I flew from the US to Amsterdam (Schipol) to Poland and I was able to shop and sample.  At no point did I go through customs in either country except on my way home.  My guess, unless it's show shenanigans like you say, is that she had a lay over in another country where once she landed at Schipol it would make going through customs unnecessary.  

Edited by Peper81
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm sure its very comforting to have something of hers. The Victorians used to make jewelry with hair, and "mourning brooches" and rings with the hair of the loved one who'd died. But hair from the living was also used to make jewelry--remember in Little Women, when all the girls and their father gave Marmee a brooch for Christmas, made with locks of their hair?

There are pagans and Wiccans who dispose of their own hair and nails clippings and whatnot, so that no one can get hold of it and use it for nefarious purposes. Maybe that was the deal with your old client!

I thought he had the banner with the photo of himself draped over his shoulder that way was so that Darcy would know it was him no matter which direction she was coming from. Either way, it seemed a little weird. I think Jesse is just, off somehow.

Thank you!  That makes a lot of sense about her perhaps being Wiccan.  Based on my memories of her it really could be it!  I learn so much from all you super smart posters!

19 hours ago, MFLEM2 said:

Now that I can understand. if I had gone through that same thing with my mother I KNOW it would mean a lot to me too. I didn't think it was creepy that she gave him her hair from her comb, just really unexpected. If anything it would have made more sense for him to give her  or her request wads of his hair because he was the one about to put HIS life at risk. If something did happen to him I don't know how that wad of hair would make him feel better or maybe she wanted to give it to him because it would give him security if he was missing his mamma?? Idk, but  I just didn't understand it and they didn't explain it. 

I'm just referring to hair you may find in your food or wrapped around your toes that you have to pull off. I don't even like to touch my own loose strands.  I shed like crazy and have ruined a few nice vacuum cleaners from the strands getting tangled and wrapped in the bristles. I literally cringe when I think about it. I can't help it, but I do. 

I can hardly think about it because losing my mother or sister would be unfathomable since my dad has already passed away :( but if it was one of Them that had passed, I would take every strand I could find of theirs and keep them, put them somewhere safe and cherish them forever... So I Can definitely understand that side of it. 

Finding hair where it is NOT supposed to be gives me the heebie jeebies like you mention, in food!  Can't say I have had them around my toes (yet!).  The vacuum is a nightmare.  I look at what is wrapped around the bristles and think surely I should be bald by now.  

I get really freaked about losing my sisters (or cousin).  We are all we really have left and the thought of being the lone survivor gives me the sads.  When my husband goes?  Let's just say I hope I go first.  

• Love 5
On 8/14/2017 at 6:58 PM, checker said:

EXCELLENT! The whole truth and nothing but. I'm going back to read your other articles and the comments right now. Thanks for broadening my horizon with new material, and more laughs.

Thanks. 7 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Move to Cambodia got a lot of negative comments, as did 7 Ways Cambodia Can Solve its Foreign Dude Problem.

• Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 8:11 AM, Desert Rat said:

Abbey is a beautiful girl, smart, articulate.  I understand that she wants to leave Haiti asap.  But can't she find a better American guy online?  Or are Sean and Chris the best the online scene has to offer to poor Haitian girls?

Sean is about as good as it gets for a young Haitian girl. Normal, attractive 25 year old American guys don't trawl Caribbean dating sites looking for chicks.

Now, importantly, it seems that she did NOT meet Chris online. Remember, Chris spends six(?) months every year in the sex tourist mecca of the Dominican Republic, which borders Haiti.  Abby met Chris in the DR. The question I have is what the heck was Abby doing in the DR?

Young impoverished Haitian girls don't just travel there to vacation and hang out at resorts. I've been to a lot of sleazy bars in developing countries, and often the young ladies "working" in these bars are from a neighboring country. I recall chatting with Colombian hookers in Panama, with Nigerian hookers in Ghana, with Vietnamese hookers in Cambodia, etc.  If Abby was traveling to DR at age 18-19 and meeting 64 year old American sex tourists there, then she may have been involved in the sleaze scene in some way.  She's obviously quite liberated in that she already committed to shtupping Sean at the AirBnB. 

• Love 19
32 minutes ago, gavinmac said:

Sean is about as good as it gets for a young Haitian girl. Normal, attractive 25 year old American guys don't trawl Caribbean dating sites looking for chicks.

Now, importantly, it seems that she did NOT meet Chris online. Remember, Chris spends six(?) months every year in the sex tourist mecca of the Dominican Republic, which borders Haiti.  Abby met Chris in the DR. The question I have is what the heck was Abby doing in the DR?

Young impoverished Haitian girls don't just travel there to vacation and hang out at resorts. I've been to a lot of sleazy bars in developing countries, and often the young ladies "working" in these bars are from a neighboring country. I recall chatting with Colombian hookers in Panama, with Nigerian hookers in Ghana, with Vietnamese hookers in Cambodia, etc.  If Abby was traveling to DR at age 18-19 and meeting 64 year old American sex tourists there, then she may have been involved in the sleaze scene in some way.  She's obviously quite liberated in that she already committed to shtupping Sean at the AirBnB. 

You're right. She young and beautiful, but not at all innocent.  That was obvious when she asked Sean if he wanted to get sweaty later that night. With that background Sean or Chris I guess are good options.  I have college age and high school sons, they want educated, American girls.  

How sad to be born in such poverty where girls have to use their bodies to make living and improve there circumstances. Things are not perfect in the US for women, but we can earn a living and have a nice life without having to sell our bodies to the highest bidder. 

Edited by Desert Rat
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Desert Rat said:

You're right. She young and beautiful, but not at all innocent.  That was obvious when she asked Sean if he wanted to get sweaty later that night. With that background Sean or Chris I guess are good options.  I have college age and high school sons, they want educated, American girls.  

Abby's living situation is not as bad as I would have thought for a Haitian woman who decided to date a 64 year old American. She lives in the capital, in a good house by local standards, has her own room, and she goes to school full time.  That's pretty good. She's not living in a shack or sharing a floor mat sleeping with two sisters and working in a sweat shop.  She's only 20, she shouldn't be so desperate to marry a white guy until she's, I don't know, 25.

She also speaks much better English than a typical 20 year old Haitian woman, which makes me wonder if she learned some of it from American sex tourist dudes in the Dominican Republic.

• Love 5

I flew from the US to Amsterdam (Schipol) to Poland and I was able to shop and sample.  At no point did I go through customs in either country 

But you were connecting in the Schengen zone, so you didn't have to do any formalities in Amsterdam and could do what you pleased while you were airside.  This was Darcey's ultimate destination, so she had to clear Immigration and Customs.  No way those passengers can wander around like that and mix with other passengers until they have been cleared to be "in" The Netherlands.  

Shenanigans. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, gavinmac said:

Abby's living situation is not as bad as I would have thought for a Haitian woman who decided to date a 64 year old American. She lives in the capital, in a good house by local standards, has her own room, and she goes to school full time.  That's pretty good. She's not living in a shack or sharing a floor mat sleeping with two sisters and working in a sweat shop.  She's only 20, she shouldn't be so desperate to marry a white guy until she's, I don't know, 25.

She also speaks much better English than a typical 20 year old Haitian woman, which makes me wonder if she learned some of it from American sex tourist dudes in the Dominican Republic.

She's probably been active in sex tourism for five years.  The next step is US.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Quof said:

But you were connecting in the Schengen zone, so you didn't have to do any formalities in Amsterdam and could do what you pleased while you were airside.  This was Darcey's ultimate destination, so she had to clear Immigration and Customs.  No way those passengers can wander around like that and mix with other passengers until they have been cleared to be "in" The Netherlands.  

Shenanigans. 

That was kind of my point in the next sentence that was left off of what you quoted.  I said my guess was that, unless it was shenanigans like you stated, she may have flown through another European country before ending in Amsterdam.  

Edited by Peper81
21 hours ago, CofCinci said:

To add: if you want to learn more about Red Pill/MRA, Google "Red Pill dating types."  Yikes. 

Oh!  So I did google it and read an article on The Telegraph.  holy moly....very uber Duggerish.

1 hour ago, gavinmac said:

At least somewhat funded by Chris possibly...

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Quof said:

Shenanigans. 

My experience: When I flew to Dam in February of this year - I cleared Immigration etc THEN there was a little duty free shop that I walked thru on the other side b4 the greeting area. =) Same situation at Heathrow Terminal 3 (UK)

Sean spends time with Abby, but struggles to put his doubts aside; Darcey and Jesse spend their first day together in Amsterdam; Paul worries he's getting stood up in Brazil; Cortney prepares to meet a Spanish model she has only texted.

18 hours ago, Quof said:

Shenanigans. 

Exactly. They herded us directly to customs when we landed as it was our final destination. This has been my experience with all foreign travel.

1 hour ago, Major Bigtime said:

Sean is one domineering asshole who's going to make Abby run, and run fast.

Darcy is so desperate, it's seeping through her fake plastic face.

Paul ... I think he's just insane.

Isn't this show great? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, locomoco said:

Isn't this show great? 

I think this season is the best in terms of hot, delicious messes on whole.  Season 1 was Pao/Russ while the rest where pretty bland. Season 2 gave us Dani/Mo -- can't remember the others. Season 3 standouts were Mark/Nikki, Melanie/Devar, and Loren/Alexi.  M/D and L/A do seem to love each other so it's not that dramatic. Season 4 was very solid entertainment with the introductions of Afnisa/George and Nicole/Azan. This new series/season gives us 3 very fun to watch American idiots. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, TipseyGirl said:

Exactly. They herded us directly to customs when we landed as it was our final destination. This has been my experience with all foreign travel.

Right, immigration first but the often out duty free between immigration and where you go out to meet people. I've definitely done this on arrival from the USA to LGW

• Love 3
14 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I think this season is the best in terms of hot, delicious messes on whole.  Season 1 was Pao/Russ while the rest where pretty bland. Season 2 gave us Dani/Mo -- can't remember the others. Season 3 standouts were Mark/Nikki, Melanie/Devar, and Loren/Alexi.  M/D and L/A do seem to love each other so it's not that dramatic. Season 4 was very solid entertainment with the introductions of Afnisa/George and Nicole/Azan. This new series/season gives us 3 very fun to watch American idiots. 

As much as I enjoy making fun of the trainwrecks, I actually do enjoy when couples work out... I think sometimes the producers think that most/all the couples will explode, but when the couples actually turn out to be sincere, it's still fun to watch.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, locomoco said:

As much as I enjoy making fun of the trainwrecks, I actually do enjoy when couples work out... I think sometimes the producers think that most/all the couples will explode, but when the couples actually turn out to be sincere, it's still fun to watch.

That's what I like about Loren and Alexei.  Very typical drama for newlyweds.  Some of the drama seems to be created or exaggerated for the cameras. And their families get along so well, which may not be so typical.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

That's what I like about Loren and Alexei.  Very typical drama for newlyweds.  Some of the drama seems to be created or exaggerated for the cameras. And their families get along so well, which may not be so typical.  

I wonder if their shared religious/cultural heritage has something to do with that. They and their families will already "speak the same language" in a lot of ways, more than, say, a Muslim man from Tunisia and a divorced mother of 4 (?) from Ohio. There was probably a lot less "in MY culture..." to have to explain between Loren and Alexi, and even when differences were present, I imagine it was less of an obstacle because the differences were not as foreign and overwhelming as the differences that Nicole and Azan would have encountered, for instance.  

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, AllisonWonderland said:

I wonder if their shared religious/cultural heritage has something to do with that. They and their families will already "speak the same language" in a lot of ways, more than, say, a Muslim man from Tunisia and a divorced mother of 4 (?) from Ohio. There was probably a lot less "in MY culture..." to have to explain between Loren and Alexi, and even when differences were present, I imagine it was less of an obstacle because the differences were not as foreign and overwhelming as the differences that Nicole and Azan would have encountered, for instance.  

I'm sure that's a big part of their success; they already understand one another on a deeper level as a result.  They married for love and both gave up something to be together, so it wasn't like Alexei was seeking a green card and decided Loren was "acceptable", á la Mohammit.  Alexei and Loren are a true love match and their families like one another and think the two of them made a good choice.

That said, the couples on this show all reek of either desperation or skeeviness or a combination of both. None of them seem to have much of anything in common  with their prospective partners. Between The Cougar, The Arsonist, and Mr Christian Polyamory, this should be very interesting to see how things turn out.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 4
On 8/16/2017 at 11:43 PM, Major Bigtime said:

I like this series because we get to see them meet in person for the first time (or so they say). In the original, they'd met and spent time together for who knows how long? 

OMG! I actually am finding myself mournful of the lost potential. Can you imagine if this series had been around to capture Mohammit and Danielle's first meet up in Tunisia?

20fwy6e.gif

• Love 13
1 hour ago, islandgal140 said:

OMG! I actually am finding myself mournful of the lost potential. Can you imagine if this series had been around to capture Mohammit and Danielle's first meet up in Tunisia?

20fwy6e.gif

That would have been ratings gold! If you watched the adventures (rather misadventures) of Nicole and Azan, it might have given you some idea how things might have happened. 

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, CofCinci said:

Abby and Anfisa are very similar -- except Anfisa is a violent bitch. 

I get this feeling that Abby is the type that once she got her green card she would have an easier time moving on getting some kind of job (even a questionable one) and being independent, while Anfisa does not want to put out the effort and will always need to be supported by George or someone else.  Anfisa is probably more honest with less to hide than Abby, I imagine.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2017 at 3:08 PM, Major Bigtime said:

Sean is one domineering asshole who's going to make Abby run, and run fast.

Darcy is so desperate, it's seeping through her fake plastic face.

I don't see Sean as domineering just creepy as hell.  Darcey is the worst and I can't believe there are two of her!  She makes me sick, she says her kids are her world....ah, no they aren't,  if you're traveling across the world to meet a strange dude young enough to be your son.  

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, noveltylibrary65 said:

I don't see Sean as domineering just creepy as hell.  Darcey is the worst and I can't believe there are two of her!  She makes me sick, she says her kids are her world....ah, no they aren't,  if you're traveling across the world to meet a strange dude young enough to be your son.  

Darcey really spoiled her looks; now she has a face like a puppet.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

I know, I would like to dig through the bags and see all the stuff that's in there.

We already know Sean packed 190 pairs of panties, and Paul packed like one might pack for an expedition or a mission trip, and Darcy had to repack her ruined Loubs. 

The emotional baggage will also no doubt be unpacked very soon.

• Love 8

I watched both episodes today.  Very addicting.  I'm always cynical and wonder how real all this is,  but I have known 2 women who have actually done this.  Both older women, one finding a much younger man in Cuba, and one in Egypt and they both traveled to meet these men they originally met online.  

I just wonder how these people find all of this to be normal?  I'd be embarrassed by it (not that I would actually do it), but these people (assuming this is all real) don't feel they come of as maybe a little bit desperate at all?

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

I watched both episodes today.  Very addicting.  I'm always cynical and wonder how real all this is,  but I have known 2 women who have actually done this.  Both older women, one finding a much younger man in Cuba, and one in Egypt and they both traveled to meet these men they originally met online.  

I just wonder how these people find all of this to be normal?  I'd be embarrassed by it (not that I would actually do it), but these people (assuming this is all real) don't feel they come of as maybe a little bit desperate at all?

How did it work out for them? Did they end up with a Pedro grifter type or a sweetheart like Alexi?  I worked with a lovely young woman who met a man from Turkey - he left her right after his green card was inked. She was devastated

The characters on this show are all fascinating. Particularly Darcee. She is a middle aged woman but has the vocal fry and fashion style of a young Kardashian. So weird.   

• Love 3

I am not sure about the one in Cuba, as she was a friend of a friend and they don't keep in touch.  I just remember she said they were engaged.  She went to visit him once.  The Egypt man didn't work out.  According to her, he was supposed to move here but all she said was they were working on papers for him to get here and that was her story for over a year.   She then met someone else.  A local guy (who was also Muslim) but nobody has ever met him. 

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 2

There isn't a single likeable American in this bunch for me. Cortney lost me with the " I traveled the world and other cultures are more family-oriented and not as corrupted." Spare me, honey. You just got done introducing your parents who have been married forever.

Darcey is so desperate and thirsty. No one's ever pulled out a chair for her? I'm an average lady from NJ and plenty of dates have done that for me. 

I am now #teamchris simply by default. I do think Abby is playing Sean but he's so desperate and creepy, I don't care.

• Love 23
1 minute ago, kacesq said:

There isn't a single likeable American in this bunch for me. Cortney lost me with the " I traveled the world and other cultures are more family-oriented and not as corrupted." Spare me, honey. You just got done introducing your parents who have been married forever.

Oh for real. What a bullshit thing to say. Yeah, it's just the Spaniards. Everyone else fucking hates their families. She's as bad as Jorge and his stereotypes about evil American women with their dreams and goals that don't involve cooking meals for his pudgy ass. 

• Love 15
Just now, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Yes, but also, do go through with this because it will make for great TV! 

Also: those gums. Sorry.

whose gums? Cortney'S? Dang it, I never notice anything...

• Love 1
Just now, Landlord said:

Yeah, they're... prominent? I know it's mean to point out something that a person can't help, but damn. She reminds me of a former colleague who I super didn't like, who also had a gum "situation," so that doesn't help.

• Love 4

Cortney, listen to your parents. Listen to your friends who are so "defensive" (defensive?) of you. Hell, watch an episode of "Catfish." At the very least, wear a helmet whenever you go out in public. You can't afford to lose much more brain power.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20

Am I the only one who spots brief moments when Abbey's eyes go blank and she looks dead inside? She can be talking to Sean one second, perfectly happy, and then the next she's having an internal debate about her life choices.

She's totally playing him. I was unsure last week but this week it seems pretty clear. I'm with the poster above who says they don't care because he's so creey and desperate. Ditto that.

Also, just because it can't be said enough, watching him hanging off her is cringe worthy and I dunno that it's worth a pile of panties to put up with that.

• Love 23
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Besides the gums, which I noticed immediately, isn't her right eye way larger than the left? Maybe it's the camera angle.

Edited by Latenites
Typo
  • Love 5