Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Paul putting on his netting mittens and trying to kill a bug in the cab was the funniest thing this episode. It was almost like watching a cat chase a laser light dot.

I would have to have been taken to the hospital and put on oxygen if it had turned out that the dog was alerted and suspect about mama's hair bundle. 

So Paul's got time to shop for venom extractor (which WTF?!?),  body nets, sleeping nets, ways not to have parasitic fish swim up his pee hole plus all other kinds of shit to fill 4 travel trunks (4!!!), but he can't invest in Portuguese Rosetta Stone or something? I can't imagine traveling with all that shit!

11 hours ago, hawkhd said:

I didn't expect Jesse's reaction to Darcey to be so positive.

I'm sure Darcey posted those old ass pics on her dating profile but I am sure they face timed. TLC was up to their usual chicanery.  Notice they never ever showed Jesse in any of the previews either to almost give the impression he wasn't real. 

I have to side eye a man who says he isn't too into the superficial but doesn't have a hair out of place and whose eyebrows are more perfectly sculpted them my own - and I keep my shit sculpted!!! But I did dig Jesse.  I can see why women would find him attractive but he is too overly groomed for my taste - like cristiano ronaldo. 

My first thought was that he was gay but given Amsterdam is so damn liberal, I would think he would feel comfortable being himself and proudly out. Could be bisexual though? Euro men throw my gaydar way off! 

One thing is for sure - Jesse ain't the one. He shut Darcey's whinging about her trip right up!  

11 hours ago, Hero said:

Abby saying "Chris" instead of "Sean" ??

NJLE4.gif

9 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Sounds like Jesse has a pheromone fetish. So far he seemed to like what he could sniff, but he's sniffing the been on a plane for several hours person.  

She doused herself with perfume once she landed.

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 14
9 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Paul and all of his luggage was fairly hysterical with the airport comedy and the drug dogs.  Seriously, though.  What the HELL is worth a 2 hours boat trip up the Amazon and being in a country where you have no idea how to communicate?

Paul's boat trip up the Amazon was not two hours; it was two days.  Given the amount of luggage he had, I am still at a loss as to how he only paid $85 in baggage fees.

Abby appeared horrified when it was pointed out that she said Chris instead of Sean.  I believe she is conning Sean. 

• Love 7

I learned that you can "freshen up" in the airport by slathering yourself with makeup samples

I've not flown through Schipol, but I'm pretty you can't stop to shop, er, sample before you go through Immigration and Customs upon arrival on an international flight. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mercolleen said:

I learned that you can "freshen up" in the airport by slathering yourself with makeup samples.

I admit that I have gone to the duty free before an international flight or on a layover and used the perfume testers. 

13 hours ago, Hero said:

Paul saying "boat dock" in an accent over and over again to the taxi driver ? I'm pretty sure the guy doesn't understand what you are saying. 

Dude bought all those supplies but didn't invest in a phrase book. Tsk tsk.

13 hours ago, kacesq said:

I'm trying to figure out if Abby is sincere or one of the better actresses we've had in the franchise.

i don't like Jesse. He's too smooth. But hey he bought extra toilet paper which is the way to every woman's heart.

Abby is a smart girl who is dying to get out of Haiti and is weighing her options. If she's willing to run a long con on either of the skeevy creeps who are trying to win her, I say have at it.

Jesse bought toilet paper and made a space for Darcey's panties--right next to his! So sweet. Seriously. There is something off about this guy.

10 hours ago, DeeReynolds said:

I had a mental image of Paul and his 27 pieces of luggage weighing down a speedboat with a native guide traveling up the Amazon. I had no idea they had big ferries to travel on. You learn something new every day!

Right? He kept saying "two day trip by boat up the Amazon" and I envisioned a dugout canoe.

9 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

I won't even agree to go to Mexico with my husband because the thought of being in a country where I can't speak the language makes me nervous. The only impressive thing about Paul is just how far he will go to get laid.

Exactly. Its not that he can't find a woman in the US. Its that the kind of woman who would actually go out with him is not a sexy Brazilian hottie who will dance fetchingly in her undies. He's not much but he wants a quality mate. I'm prepared to believe he's an MRA/red pill enthusiast. Doesn't want an American feminazi. He wants a young, minimally educated foreign woman he can "rescue" from dire poverty.  Seriously this guy gives me the creeps. More than Sean, and that's saying something.

1 hour ago, Mercolleen said:

I learned that you can "freshen up" in the airport by slathering yourself with makeup samples.

Nothing like troweling more makeup on your sweaty, plastic face to make you really fetching. Keep it klassy, Darcey.

• Love 15

I think Abby's girlfriends are much more realistic and are skeptical of Abby's intentions. What happened to her best friend who went with her to the airport?  Sean appeared and she's nowhere in sight. 

Edited by Hannigram
Wrong name. Oops.
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

He wants a young, minimally educated foreign woman he can "rescue" from dire poverty.

This. And in exchange for having sex with him and cooking his meals, she gets a green card. This is what I find the saddest/most repellant about people who order up spouses online. At some level, they know they don't have much to offer or have personality quirks that make them undesirable, but aha, to a person from a poverty stricken country, the green card can in many cases be the incentive. It also gives the US citizen the power, or at least they think that (cue Dani and Mo) So they engage in a little cognitive dissonance and talk themselves into  believing it is a "love match".  Sad. 

• Love 11
13 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

Yeah, they're both pretending. Darcey's pretending to be young and Jesse pretending that he likes her. 

And both Jesse and his drinking buddies are beyond delusional imagining a pregnancy scenario.

You sense Jesse is already irritated with her constant talking.  He's playing the part to be on TV and to get to the US.  He probably figures she is attractive "enough" to play this out.

Darcey would LOVE that unlikely pregnancy scenario.

Abbey is SO much still hooking up with the 64 year old.  He is her fallback and most likely paying her bills now.  I'm sure he will play along with only being the EX that wants to still teach her when questioned by Sean.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

I'm not going to lie --- I'm totally going to hit the duty-free stores to "freshen up" when I fly internationally. I never thought about doing that before. 

• Love 5

I haven't figured out Jesse's endgame. It doesn't sound like he wants to emigrate to the US. To me, it sounds like this is a career option for him. If he can get work as a model in the US, that expands his career as a model. Darcy has a fashion line, he is a model. If nothing else, he will be getting lots of exposure via the show. I mean, how many times have we seen the shots of him in his undies? And we are only on episode 2. 

Waiting for the other couple to be introduced. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 7
On ‎12‎.‎08‎.‎2017 at 6:39 AM, gavinmac said:

For those of you inquiring about the psyche of American men who date younger foreign women, I encourage you to Google my own personal musings "7 Reasons Why I Should Probably Marry a Cambodian Woman" and "7 Reasons Why I Probably Shouldn't Marry a Cambodian Woman" 

EXCELLENT! The whole truth and nothing but. I'm going back to read your other articles and the comments right now. Thanks for broadening my horizon with new material, and more laughs.

• Love 2

What's Jesse's story?  Does we want a green card?  Why does he want to immigrate to the U.S.? Why Darsy?  She's old, fake, broke.  Is Jesse looking for tv exposure?

Jesse looks like a younger/thinner/fit version of one of Rod Steward's sons, the one who went on reality tv to get sober and didn't.

i am a little perplexed by the whole relationship because Jesse's lifestyle in Amsterdam will always be better than Upstate New York.  He seems pretty well traveled and articulate (educated) he must have done his share of googling .  

Interesting that no one seems to look at the possibility that Darry is looking for a 'green card' opportunity to move to Amsterdam. She'd get the better deal.

I'm in to see this through. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

I haven't figured out Jesse's endgame. It doesn't sound like he wants to emigrate to the US. To me, it sounds like this is a career option for him. If he can get work as a model in the US, that expands his career as a model. Darcy has a fashion line, he is a model.

We are all assuming he wants to model in the US. Perhaps he's padding his resume to get a tv, movie, or modeling gig in Amsterdam, Paris, or elsewhere in Europe.  Perhaps he has zero interest in the US except as a stepping stone.  

Edited by Swim mom
12 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

What's Jesse's story?  Does we want a green card?  Why does he want to immigrate to the U.S.? Why Darsy?  She's old, fake, broke.  Is Jesse looking for tv exposure?

What makes you think she's broke? Bc she lives with her sister?

2 hours ago, Hannigram said:

I think Abby's girlfriends are much more realistic and are skeptical of Abby's intentions. What happened to her best friend who went with her to the airport?  Sean appeared and she's nowhere in sight. 

Vanessa got in the front of the pick-up and drove, if I saw correctly.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Quof said:

I've not flown through Schipol, but I'm pretty you can't stop to shop, er, sample before you go through Immigration and Customs upon arrival on an international flight. 

You can.  I'm pretty sure ive done it at LGW.. I've also done it in Oslo  and other places

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MFLEM2 said:

I'm still a little disturbed by that hair in a Kleenex scene from the previous episode? there is nothing that makes my skin crawl more than a loose hair, much less a wad pulled from a comb... Oh ick! ? 

why would she even think to do that?? If anything you would think she would want a wad of his considering the chance of something happening to him or him not coming back would be greater, and THEN she would have something to remember him by. Even then to pull a wad from their hair brush or comb would not be the first thing that came to mind.... Maybe after they went missing or Parished- Lord forbid, but not before! 

In general I agree.  However, I have my own 'saving mom's hair' story.  When my mom had cancer I was cutting her hair and it was when the radiation was kicking in.  It started falling out as I was combing it and was quite emotional.  I saved it in a little box in my bedroom.  Her hair never grew back (one of the rare people) and she died about 12 years ago.  So while it IS creepy, for some reason I am glad I have it.  There are people who are weird about hair.  My old salon had a client who would take all the cut bits from her hair.  She never really explained it.

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

MRA/red pill enthusiast

what is this?

31 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

In general I agree.  However, I have my own 'saving mom's hair' story.  When my mom had cancer I was cutting her hair and it was when the radiation was kicking in.  It started falling out as I was combing it and was quite emotional.  I saved it in a little box in my bedroom.  Her hair never grew back (one of the rare people) and she died about 12 years ago.  So while it IS creepy, for some reason I am glad I have it.  There are people who are weird about hair.  My old salon had a client who would take all the cut bits from her hair.  She never really explained it.

that is so touching about your mom.  I'm sorry for your loss.  That, however, would be more like her taking a lock of his hair...just in case.  I don't get the wad in the Kleenex business at all.  

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

what is this?

that is so touching about your mom.  I'm sorry for your loss.  That, however, would be more like her taking a lock of his hair...just in case.  I don't get the wad in the Kleenex business at all.  

Thank you!  I don't get the kleenex wad either. That was odd (I only saw the clip and thought WTF?).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

What makes you think she's broke? Bc she lives with her sister?

I thought I read it somewhere.  Maybe just projection because she reminds me so much of Danielle, only Darsy has her plastic surgeon on speed dial.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, DeeReynolds said:

I had a mental image of Paul and his 27 pieces of luggage weighing down a speedboat with a native guide traveling up the Amazon. I had no idea they had big ferries to travel on. You learn something new every day!

I had the same image!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Granny58 said:

what is this?

MRA (Men's right's activist). Basically, it's a paranoid, misogynistic and insecure type of guy who thinks that there's some type of conspiracy going on that he just learned the truth about and that the rights of men are at risk because women aren't subservient to men and want to be treated equal in society.

• Love 4

Abby is a baby.  Sean is a pig thinking she's a "woman."  I believe she has set her cap for an American man and will see this repulsive affair to its inevitable end: getting married, being married for five years, and then getting the hell out.  She's young and will be free to marry or boink someone FAR more suitable before she's thirty.

Jesse is impressive: kind, articulate, generous (so far) and what is this relationship all about???  Can't wait to see who gets on who's nerves first.  Darcy has an air of entitlement so I think she is going to tire of her blond boytoy's equanimity first.  I loved those friends too, but they are DELUSIONAL if they think she will get pregnant.  I think that ship done sailed.

Paul, <sigh>, oh, in our family we'd call him "Our Poor Paul."  How in the name of God did he think he was going to handle four heavy footlockers and at least two carry-on bags by himself in a Third World country?  Did he think Karine would have manservants?  Did he not see the size of her room?  Where the blue blazes are those big boxes going to go?

And really, neither one of them speaks the other's language?  There are apps for that, aren't there?

• Love 7

Did the banner Jesse bring to the airport have HIS pic on it or hers

Oh my god, I forgot about that.  He was holding a bouquet of roses, while draped in a banner with a picture of him holding roses.  The Hell? 

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, Quof said:

Oh my god, I forgot about that.  He was holding a bouquet of roses, while draped in a banner with a picture of him holding roses.  The Hell? 

Maybe he was plann Ng to hang the banner so that she'd see it when she arrived, look around for him, and there he'd be, holding roses and looking like his picture. And then it didn't play out the way it did in his head. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Now that I can understand. if I had gone through that same thing with my mother I KNOW it would mean a lot to me too. I didn't think it was creepy that she gave him her hair from her comb, just really unexpected. If anything it would have made more sense for him to give her  or her request wads of his hair because he was the one about to put HIS life at risk. If something did happen to him I don't know how that wad of hair would make him feel better or maybe she wanted to give it to him because it would give him security if he was missing his mamma?? Idk, but  I just didn't understand it and they didn't explain it. 

I'm just referring to hair you may find in your food or wrapped around your toes that you have to pull off. I don't even like to touch my own loose strands.  I shed like crazy and have ruined a few nice vacuum cleaners from the strands getting tangled and wrapped in the bristles. I literally cringe when I think about it. I can't help it, but I do. 

I can hardly think about it because losing my mother or sister would be unfathomable since my dad has already passed away :( but if it was one of Them that had passed, I would take every strand I could find of theirs and keep them, put them somewhere safe and cherish them forever... So I Can definitely understand that side of it. 

Edited by MFLEM2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Granny58 said:

what is this?

That was my exact thought

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Quof said:

That's just it, I think he's some kind of young Utopian Euro Narcissus, and he likes himself ....a lot. And his love is for others who reflect that back at him ! Watch what happens I guess it's damn entertaining. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lilacly said:

MRA (Men's right's activist). Basically, it's a paranoid, misogynistic and insecure type of guy who thinks that there's some type of conspiracy going on that he just learned the truth about and that the rights of men are at risk because women aren't subservient to men and want to be treated equal in society.

To add: if you want to learn more about Red Pill/MRA, Google "Red Pill dating types."  Yikes. 

51 minutes ago, Tinfoil Hat said:

Maybe he was plann Ng to hang the banner so that she'd see it when she arrived, look around for him, and there he'd be, holding roses and looking like his picture. And then it didn't play out the way it did in his head. 

She was delayed with her escalator heel for an hour.  He probably had to take the banner down at some point because of security. 

I think it has his picture on one end and her picture on the other. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

To add: if you want to learn more about Red Pill/MRA, Google "Red Pill dating types."  Yikes. 

She was delayed with her escalator heel for an hour.  He probably had to take the banner down at some point because of security. 

I think it has his picture on one end and her picture on the other. 

I googled on private browsing because I'm not having my search history involved with that mess but these quotes sum it up better than I did,

" They feel that women have somehow gained an unfair advantage in the world, making it virtually impossible for a heterosexual, cisgendered white man to get a break. They see relationships as a fight for dominance and sex as a god-given right that’s being kept from them by women because REASONS."

"women are only of worth from the ages of 16 to 25; afterwards they hit “The Wall”. The point in a woman’s life where her ego and self-assessed view of her sexual market value exceed her actual sexual market value; the beginning of the decline. Usually occurs as a wake-up shock to women when they realize that their power over men was temporary and that their looks are fading. This usually results with first denial and then a sudden change in priority towards looking for a husband."

• Love 2
On 8/8/2017 at 10:07 AM, lovesnark said:

Darcy is one of those women that just piss me off. You have two daughters. Instead of having a ton of expensive, bad plastic surgery, accept that you're getting older and set a good example for your daughters. You're showing them that aging is bad and chasing some random guy is what you need to be happy. I hope Jesse is really some overweight, 40 something guy with several exes and a ton of child support payments. During all of her talking heads, I was fixated on the unglued corner of one of her false eyelashes. I noticed it was unglued when she was heading to the airport, too. She should have sprung for eyelash extensions.

The fear of being alone is huge for a lot of women, perhaps even most.  I was surprised by that coupling, though.  He could have found a slim gym bunny.

• Love 2

I agree with the poster who says she feels yucky after an international flight. All I want is to check into a hotel and get a shower.  Since they banned smoking on planes it's not as bad as it used to be, but I don't like marinating in the same clothes for 24 hours or more...ewww!  

What I found bothersome was Darcey's conspicuous consumption with the Loubitin's and the Chanel bags and Louis Vuitton totes. I wouldn't want a guy I'd just met to know how much money I had or for that to be the attraction.  She screamed high maintenance and over the top. Even if she'd gotten them at a consignment shop, who cares, and I agree we should get to enjoy nice handbags and shoes, etc.

I too, had a thought about Paul's mom getting a lock of his hair in case some fate befell him and DNA evidence was needed for a match. Anyone so OCD and germophobic should NOT be venturing out to middle of the Amazon. 

Abby is drop dead gorgeous.  WTF was Sean doing wearing a sweater in Haiti? I get it that it was cold on the plane probably but he really looked odd.  This coupling is messed up and skeevy on so many levels.  

• Love 7

I think Abby's gorgeous, and I love her accent. But I had to rewind to be sure what I heard when she said "My mother is worried I'm going to get playedbecause that's not the word I heard the first time. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm sure its very comforting to have something of hers. The Victorians used to make jewelry with hair, and "mourning brooches" and rings with the hair of the loved one who'd died. But hair from the living was also used to make jewelry--remember in Little Women, when all the girls and their father gave Marmee a brooch for Christmas, made with locks of their hair?

There are pagans and Wiccans who dispose of their own hair and nails clippings and whatnot, so that no one can get hold of it and use it for nefarious purposes. Maybe that was the deal with your old client!

14 hours ago, Quof said:

I thought he had the banner with the photo of himself draped over his shoulder that way was so that Darcy would know it was him no matter which direction she was coming from. Either way, it seemed a little weird. I think Jesse is just, off somehow.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, locomoco said:

What did Llly Munster ever do to you to make you say such a mean thing?

Yvonne DeCarlo was a goddess in her youth. I remember watching the 10 Commandments and wondering why Moses was sweating over that old tired queen when his wife put her to shame.

TenCommand_065Pyxurz.jpg

• Love 7

I can't believe that Abby finds these old farts attractive. There are attractive older men but personally I don't think they're representative of them. It's what she's getting; they're getting played not her, I feel. She seems intelligent & ambitious, & I can understand her wanting to get out & have more opportunity. I also suspect she's being coached in how to handle them & make this happen for her. Again, I can't blame her, but Sean just disgusts me. It's disturbing how he can be 'in love' with a child - he's obviously in lust & it's all wrong.

Paul - all kinds of messed up. Again so sad for the girl obviously advertising herself, & he's another schmuck loser chasing a child -she looks younger than 21 to me. They're worlds apart & he doesn't speak her language nor has he even tried to learn. Paul deserves ALL the mosquito bites he gets.

Darcy spent hours on a plane in those way too tight torn up jeans - ick.  Had to laugh at Jesse saying he's not 'one of those superficial' guys, then describing Darcy's looks to his buds; even her boobs. Yeah, he's really deep.

• Love 17

Darcey's face looks busted in comparison to her twin sister who looks way younger than her. She really needs to lay off the Botox and other fillers. Her twin is beautiful, so  she must have some sort of skewed perception of her own looks.  Often people who use Botox and fillers ruin their looks.

The dermatologist that I go to had an open house and they took my picture and showed me what I'd look like with fillers, and I'm not kidding you, I looked like a caricature of myself.  That wasn't me at all. In fact, I was horrified.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Lilacly said:

I googled on private browsing because I'm not having my search history involved with that mess but these quotes sum it up better than I did,

" They feel that women have somehow gained an unfair advantage in the world, making it virtually impossible for a heterosexual, cisgendered white man to get a break. They see relationships as a fight for dominance and sex as a god-given right that’s being kept from them by women because REASONS."

"women are only of worth from the ages of 16 to 25; afterwards they hit “The Wall”. The point in a woman’s life where her ego and self-assessed view of her sexual market value exceed her actual sexual market value; the beginning of the decline. Usually occurs as a wake-up shock to women when they realize that their power over men was temporary and that their looks are fading. This usually results with first denial and then a sudden change in priority towards looking for a husband."

I admit to having heard of these wackadoos before, but I only knew a little bit about them. What you've posted here is actually quite scary.

• Love 2
On 8/14/2017 at 9:48 AM, Quof said:

You can't. At least I couldn't the last time I was through there. Shennanigans.

• Love 1
On 8/14/2017 at 0:41 AM, TrininisaScorp said:

Dude.  Love, Actually taught me that!  

WHY can't people do some Googling before they travel?  Am I insane?  Planning out my vacations, especially if I'm travelling aboard.  Learning key phrases and customs, so I can be a good traveler.  Clearly, I've been wasting my time.  

Actually I think Paul was googling too much and the wrong stuff. He probably has antivenom for every snake there is in Brazil but doesn't know how to say that he was bitten by snake in Portuguese...

• LOL 1
  • Love 17