Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E08: Week 8: Hometown Dates

• Start Topic

Rachel returns to the U.S. and goes on four hometown dates where she meets the parents of the final four bachelors. After the revealing visits, Rachel realizes she is falling in love with all four men and must make an impossible decision to send home someone she can't imagine living without.

So far, yawn. I would not be able to cope with Bryan's mom for sure. Can just imagine the first holiday they aren't with her! Missed part of Eric's visit but he seems generous. Going into Dean's house now. WHY doesn't she just go the other way?!

• Love 1

Rachel is so determined to be married that's all she can think about. I think she will choose whoever she is sure will propose to her. It appears to be Bryan at this point and if the relationship lasts 6 months I will be surprised. I've never been this cynical before lol!! 

• Love 21
(edited)

Yes, Dean's dad is...not like most of us, but I like him!   He has found his soul's passion.   Of course I am behind and watching on my DVR. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Love 2

After the HTDs, it's clear she should just say bye to 3 of them, but she's not going to do that. She's just going to string them along for the show. She's so ready for marriage that I think she is determined to get there and make it work no matter what just to prove it to herself and make it a successful process for her. Best wishes to her, I'm checking out.

• Love 4
(edited)

I haven't watched the Bachelorette shows, so how does the proposal process work?  Rachel selects the guy and then waits/hopes for him to propose? 

That eye makeup is awful.  I noticed she was more natural-looking on the hometown dates with Eric and Peter.  I didn't see the ones with Dean and Bryan. 

Oh Dean.  The too-tight suit.  You're a cutie though, see you on BIP.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 5
(edited)
15 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Bryan's mom was a bit much but that's what I was expecting.  I'm just so disgusted by Dean's dad (and to a lesser extent Eric's parents) and Rachel's reactions to it all.  It was just gross, even for this show.

Yeah, I can't even snark about Dean's dad because of how uncomfortable the entire date was for Dean. Poor guy.

11 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I haven't watched the Bachelorette shows, so how does the proposal process work?  Rachel selects the guy and then waits/hopes for him to propose? 

Each of the final two talk first; they profess their love and, most of the time, propose. Then the Bachelorette tells the guy whether or not he's the one. Sometimes the Bachelorette lets the runner-up go before the final rose ceremony to spare him the humiliation, e.g. Andi/Nick,  Emily/Arie, Ali/Chris L, etc.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3

Eric officially won me over. Who was the first woman he was talking to, if the second woman was his mother? I think he mentioned his auntie? Did she raise him if his mother wasn't there for him? I feel like I missed something, but was his mom one of the family members on drugs or in jail? The rest of the family was very loving.

Well, damn, Bryan just won me over, too! They had a lot of fun on their "real Miami" date--aside from giving Rachel a concussion by dipping her head into someone else's while dancing. Then we met his family, and I can see why the other girl got scared off. Bryan is supposedly an only child...but there's a sister (?) who doesn't count, perhaps because she's not mommy's soul mate? But I actually finally believe Bryan's feelings for Rachel are genuine.

Interesting to find out that Peter's friends are all black--and at least the two we met are dating white girls. I guess that clears up that interracial dating is not an issue for him, despite not previously having dated a black woman. Yet, he doesn't sound too reassuring at the end of this date saying he wants to continue dating her now that his friends and family like her; sounds like he was on the fence about THAT much?

This is pretty screwed up that Dean's family hasn't been together in 8 years, and Dean hasn't spoken to his father in 2 years, and they're coerced to come together over a TV show when Dean would apparently prefer to stay estranged. This is an important conversation for them to have--but I feel icky watching it. This is waaaaay too personal. Plus, "beautiful blessings" or whatever he named himself is a bit of a misnomer if you're going to be this crappy to your kids. 

Was Rachel sitting outside freezing by herself all this time? What's with the wooded backdrop outside like a Sears photo studio? There's plenty of other crap around, but there must be something really terrible back there for someone to put that up. And they don't have ANY furniture in this house? My back aches just watching this for 20-30 minutes; I can't imagine sitting/laying on a hard floor all the time.

Rachel made the right choice sending Dean home. She should have last week when he asked what her favorite dinosaur is. He's nowhere near ready for marriage. He needs therapy to deal with his family issues. Producers probably made her keep him until this point for the chance of reuniting an estranged family...with a strange dad. But did she say she loved him, too? They didn't show that, did they? I wonder whether she said the same to all of them.

• Love 8
(edited)
7 minutes ago, shouldbedancing said:

What did she say to Dean?

I think she essentially said he wasn't ready for what she needed. Aka he wont propose and she's so desperate for that. 

I felt for everyone in Dean's whole situation. His dad thought he was doing the fatherly thing in providing financially without realizing that is not what his kids needed. Yes, he should have stepped up but parents aren't perfect, he lost his partner of 30+ years. He seems to have found solace in his faith, which good on him. But yeah, just depressing to watch. Didn't like the show brought it out for entertainment. 

Just crown Bryan already because he will propose. Peter is too normal and realistic for this show. 

Edited by weightyghost
  • Love 23
(edited)

Oh, Dean. I knew he didn’t stand a chance, and I didn’t necessarily think he had the best chemistry with Rachel, but he was far and away my favorite of the remaining guys. That wasn’t always the case – I side-eyed him at the “once you go black…” comment and, while he’s conventionally attractive, he wasn’t necessarily my physical type (a little too chiseled and “bro-y” looking). But he’s been full of surprises. I feel like he’s the only one to have shown genuine emotion (even if he often deflects it with humor). I really, really felt for him today – muttering several variations of “this is going to be awful” on the way up to his father’s house; his nervous laughter alternating with tears alternating with anger throughout the home visit; the blow-out with his dad (which may well have been staged, but felt very real to me), etc.  His sister’s comments about him always being “strong” provided further insight into his personality and solidified my love for him.  Even his elimination is the only one that got to me – while he maintained his typical cool exterior, he seemed genuinely blindsided/hurt, especially after allowing himself to be emotionally vulnerable in two big ways (first with the home visit, then telling Rachel he was falling in love with her).  And, of course now that I love Dean, I’m realizing just how physically beautiful he is!

Anyway, good luck Dean. I hope he doesn’t regret the experience – and, in particular, working through some heavy family stuff on tv. Hopefully it allows him to start the process of mending his relationship with his dad.

Edited by sweetcookieface
  • Love 18
(edited)

Bryan's mom = mommy issues.

If she really cares about Peter the most, she should be willing to accept not getting proposed to. I am tired of hearing her say she wants a proposal. He actually reminds me of Brooks, undecided. And also, I think they are the 2 best looking guys ever on this show.

Poor Dean...........

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

If she really cares about Peter the most, she should be willing to accept not getting proposed to. I am tired of hearing her say she wants a proposal. He actually reminds me of Brooks, undecided. And also, I think they are the 2 best looking guys ever on this show.

But that's the thing. I don't think she cares about Peter the most. I think right now the other guys are placeholders until the FRC. It's the same every season, like how Raven was F2 during Nick's season even though she has no chance against Vanessa. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Does anyone really think that Bryan isn't going to be the final one?  Her "HI Baby!" on greeting him pretty much shows that he's the sealed deal. If her family says they have reservations on him- that's the final seal of approval.  Everyone keeps saying they see Rachel and Peter's chemistry, I don't really see it, but I didn't see any between Nick and Vanessa either.  Rachel just seems to like the other 3 a lot more than Peter.  I have to say though that Peter is the only one with a real life view and realistic view of the future -and he's so damn pretty! The way Eric talks drives me crazy, but he comes across as very sincere.  I still can't get over the feeling that Bryan is smarmy.  His mom....wow, scary.  How can Rachel not feel freaked out about her?

I really, really, really hope she sets number 2 free the night before and doesn't make him go through the humiliating proposal.

Edited by Ripley68
  • Love 11

OK, future condolences to anyone who turned Eric's use of the word 'man' into a drinking game. They are apocalyptically fucked.

The show absolutely wants us to think Bryan wins, I'm convinced. Especially with the line of "I went to Mass and got a sign from GOD for you *angelic chorus!".

Watch as they're broken up by September, lol.

• Love 4

I agree that it was really awkward watching Dean and his dad talk and I don't why the conversation couldn't have waited ... until after television. I also seem to remember a hometown date or two from some past season where they went to the contestant's current home (not where they grew up) and just walked around the city and went back to contestant's apartment. It would have made more sense than going to his home. 

On Rachel's front I liked how much she remembered and was able to describe what she liked to the families. I thought she made good impressions.

No idea who the final rose is going to, but I thought her strongest connections were with Bryan and Eric. 

• Love 2

Now that would be an interesting Wedding reception:

Ladies and Gentleman, let's hear it for the Father of the Bride, the Honorable Judge Lindsey, and the Father of the Groom . . . err . . . Porridge Stew.

• Love 6

Eric's mom -  So, too many mom get overly connected to their mothers, and have trouble in relationships.  So she withheld love from him, so he wouldn't have mommy issues.

that is some seriously fucked up bullshit.

That is the opposite of how things work.  Men who grew up with good parents who love them, have all the emotional tools they need to move on and be fully-functioning adults and can have good relationships.  

So we get one guy whose parents neglected him emotionally, and another whose mom is TOO attached to him.  

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, backformore said:

Eric's mom -  So, too many mom get overly connected to their mothers, and have trouble in relationships.  So she withheld love from him, so he wouldn't have mommy issues.

that is some seriously fucked up bullshit.

That's also some hardcore retrospective rationalization.

Like a guy saying "honey, I only cheated on you so you wouldn't end up overly trusty and gullible like so many women do".

• Love 24
(edited)
1 hour ago, TiredMe said:

... but when Mom said if you hurt my son, I'll kill you, I'd have been off like a dirty shirt!

The mother never said, "Just kidding", or anything. She 1000% stood by her statement.  While Rachel laughed her ass off, Bryan's Mom simply said "He NEEDS to be happy."  Hahahahahahha.  Oh. My. god.  I thought that my mom was bad! 

By the way, she didn't even say "If you hurt my son."  I have it memorized.  She said, "If Bryan is happy, I'm happy.  If he's not, I'll kill you."  (And then she let the moment sit and did not backtrack.)

The first woman that was talking to Rachel at Eric's place looked exactly like Eric.

26 minutes ago, backformore said:

That's really what she said?  I missed all of that.  A mom withholding love 100% creates mommy issues so yeah she's confused....

I am now convinced that Dean is one of the most beautiful men I've ever witnessed.  His intense vulnerability did not hurt.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Now that would be an interesting Wedding reception:

Ladies and Gentleman, let's hear it for the Father of the Bride, the Honorable Judge Lindsey, and the Father of the Groom . . . err . . . Porridge Stew.

Can we not make fun of a traditional Sikh name? 

• Love 15

That was some craptastic parental units Fleiss gave us tonight. At least Eric's Auntie Verna was a pleasure and lit up the screen.

Peter's parents were cool, too. He is so not into Rachel, I wonder if he could actually be interested in anyone right now. I'm beginning to think he really is that cardboard cutout figure we were talking about last week; the first cardboard cutout figure to successfully make it to the fantasy suites. Please do not make him the Bachelor if he loses as he is not made for tv. That will be a disastrous season if they annoint him. It will make Chris Soules look good (or at least pre-DUI/drunken tragic accident Chris Soules, because even though I don't like Peter he hasn't hit and run anyone). 

I assume Dean is off to Bachelor in Paradise? I think he would have been a good Bachelor. I think his story is one of the saddest I've ever seen on this show (along with hungry Kristina eating lipstick in Russia) and if anyone deserves a chance at love it's him. I don't think he's too young as he's been through a lot and man, he needs the love of a good woman. Maybe JoJo and he can hook up when she breaks up with Jordan (soon!). He could use some words of affirmation.

I really wish he hadn't felt forced to reunite with his family. He should have just said no. But dang it, if he didn't go right ahead and say his I Love You lines perfectly, despite the family bust up.  At least Rachel hung in there. I wouldn't have been able to eat those sprouts. Hope they had a bag of Doritos in the car for her after that.

Bryan's mom is so scary. She seems very manipulative. Good luck with that, Rachel. I see some major fights ahead of them if they get together ... oh, who are we kidding? Even his mom was surprised he "fell in love on tv" after having the chance with so many other women. haha. Mama has nothing to worry about. 

• Love 8

Yikes, these families. Y'all have said it all. I hope when my kids inevitably come to me one day with complaints I don't deny or tell them I did it to make them better people. What gaslighty bullshit. Although I concede that being on national TV is good incentive to try to come off well. It's just that they...didn't.

• Love 12

I don't think there's been a hometown week with so many awkward family moments.  

But I also don't think Rachel acquitted herself well this week.  She came off as way too desperate to get engaged and get pregnant.  Out of all of the most recent Bachelorette's, I'd hoped that Rachel had a good enough head on her shoulders to recognize the absurdity of "the journey".  But I'm perennially disappointed when Leads that I'd expected more from end up toeing the line end up totally on board.

Peter's Mom was the parent this season to, very politely, call bullshit on the whole format.  But I think the problem is that in addition to not wanted to get engaged after knowing someone for a few weeks, Peter just isn't that into Rachel.

And, maybe it's because I find him so insufferably smug, but to me the day with Bryan came off as a paid endorsement of Miami.

• Love 12
51 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

Wait, I am a bit behind......she told Dean she was falling in love with him too?? WHY DID SHE DO THAT?!

Not sure if someone already directly answered this, but yes, she did say that.  I was completely shocked when she eliminated Dean at the rose ceremony after that.  I don't think he was a good fit for her, but you know the poor guy is going to be convinced it was only his family that ruined his chances.  I was sure she'd dump either Eric or Peter.

• Love 4

I think sometimes the F4 elimination is driven in part by whom the Lead doesn't want to put through FS week only to eliminate at F3.  I wonder if that's the case with Dean.  

Unless the editors are really earning their money, it looks pretty obvious to me that Bryan has been her choice for long time now.  Of the other 3 left, Dean seems the most "fragile", so to speak.  

Regardless of what happens or doesn't happen in the FS, every Lead must know that the audience will always assume what happened.  

Eric is not ready for a marriage because he's too immature, but he's not likely broken up by a one-night stand.

Same goes for Peter, except he's not ready for marriage because he's mature enough to realize "the journey" is bullshit.

Dean's not ready because he's obviously still got baggage to deal with before he can commit.  A one-night-stand is not going to help him in that regard.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

And, maybe it's because I find him so insufferably smug, but to me the day with Bryan came off as a paid endorsement of Miami.

Yeah.  And Bryan, bringing Rachel to meet his family, says, "if things go the way I hope, then I'll be ready to profess my love for her." 

Run, Rachel!  he basically said - I will love you only if Mommy gives me permission.  

• Love 8
(edited)

If I was Rachel and I wanted Peter, and he'd want to date, I'd totally date him.  I guess that would make me look desperate, IDK.  I don't know how anyone thinks this whole engagement thing is a good idea, but she signed up for the show so maybe she very sincerely does.  Either she wants Bryan and needs an excuse to get rid of Peter, or she is insanely serious about needing to be proposed to at the end of this.

I have no idea how Peter really feels about Rachel.  Does his family keep mentioning some vague REASON why he's ready for children but not marriage, but Peter's not ready to reveal it yet?  And I guess we don't know what that is?

Alas, I'm in love with Dean and I'd pick Dean and I'd let him do whatever he wants : )  Haha

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Same goes for Peter, except he's not ready for marriage because he's mature enough to realize "the journey" is bullshit.

Yes, it's all bullshit but it's one he willingly signed up for. And considering he referenced the show in a joke quote for his high school yearbook, I can't buy that he didn't know what it was about and what he was getting himself into.

Last season Vanessa got dragged by so many for daring to voice her issues with the process, with so many sneering at what show did she think she was signing up for. Now, Peter comes onto the show, knowing how it works but basically keeps hemming and hawing about the possibility of any commitment in my opinion, and suddenly, "he's so realistic and reasonable and Rachel's so annoying for being so obsessed with being engaged".

This even though Rachel has been upfront and clear from the beginning that is what she's looking for - not a boyfriend or a casual "let's see how this goes" but a fiancé. And yes, it is a ridiculous avenue to find that person but again Peter willingly agreed to do the show. Not to mention that at the end of the day, the bigger issue in my opinion about Peter is that he just doesn't seem as into Rachel period.

So honestly I'm starting to find him annoying as hell that he doesn't just bow out when he can't give her anything really since he's not really into her and keeps whining about not feeling ready. But then how would he make his Bachelor bid if he leaves.

How is that a positive comparison and a selling point for Rachel to accept the scraps Peter is giving her when as we saw Brooks eventually willingly bowed out of Des' season because as many stated then, as they have now, she was clearly more into Brooks than he was ever into her. And his bowing out was the best thing he did for her because she likely would have foolishly picked him and it would probably have been a disaster.

Instead she picked the guy who was always there for her and is now happily married with a child. Of course much like Peter, I never saw these amazing looks Brooks possessed so there is that. Desperate or not, I am not going to fault Rachel for not picking a guy who can't seem to even seem like he wants to be with her much less engaged. I don't care how pretty some think he is.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

I think sometimes the F4 elimination is driven in part by whom the Lead doesn't want to put through FS week only to eliminate at F3.  I wonder if that's the case with Dean.  

Unless the editors are really earning their money, it looks pretty obvious to me that Bryan has been her choice for long time now.  Of the other 3 left, Dean seems the most "fragile", so to speak.  

Regardless of what happens or doesn't happen in the FS, every Lead must know that the audience will always assume what happened.  

Eric is not ready for a marriage because he's too immature, but he's not likely broken up by a one-night stand.

Dean's not ready because he's obviously still got baggage to deal with before he can commit.  A one-night-stand is not going to help him in that regard.

I was just coming on here to say almost the exact same thing, except I wasn't thinking of just the sexual aspect.  I was thinking of who'd cope best with being dumped as F3 or F2.  I think Eric will handle it well because that's what he does, and Peter will handle it well because despite the bruise to his ego, he'll be thrilled to be off the hook.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yes, it's all bullshit but it's one he willingly signed up for. And considering he referenced the show in joke quote for his high school yearbook, I can't buy that he didn't know what it was about and what he was getting himself into.

Last season Vanessa got dragged by so many for daring to voice her issues with the process, with so many sneering at what show did she think she was signing up for. Now, Peter comes onto the show, knowing what how it works but basically keeps hemming and hawing about the possibility of any commitment right now, in my opinion and suddenly, "he's so realistic and reasonable and Rachel's so annoying for being so obsessed with being engaged".

Even though she has been upfront and clear from the beginning that is what she's looking for - not a boyfriend or a casual "let's see how this goes" but a fiancé. And yes, it is a ridiculous avenue to find that person but again Peter willingly agreed to do the show. Not to mention that at the end of the day, the bigger issue in my opinion about Peter is that he just doesn't seem as into Rachel period.

So honestly I'm starting to find him annoying as hell that he doesn't just bow out when he can't give her anything really since he's not really into her and keeps whining about not feeling ready. But then how would he make his Bachelor bid if he leaves.

Oh, I'm not defending Peter.  Rather I'm defending Rachel's decision to take Peter to F3 over Dean.  I think she can score a D from Peter knowing that she's ultimately going to cut him, guilt free.  I think that would be a harder thing for her to do with Dean.

FWIW though, I have more respect (which is an extremely relative term) for contestants who treat "the journey" as at best the potential to establish the beginning of a potentially serious long-term relationship than I have for those contestants who decide to read Fleiss & Co's script.

• Love 4
Just now, Alapaki said:

Oh, I'm not defending Peter.  Rather I'm defending Rachel's decision to take Peter to F3 over Dean.  I think she can score a D from Peter knowing that she's ultimately going to cut him, guilt free.  I think that would be a harder thing for her to do with Dean.

FWIW though, I have more respect (which is an extremely relative term) for contestants who treat "the journey" as at best the potential to establish the beginning of a potentially serious long-term relationship than I have for those contestants who decide to read Fleiss & Co's script.

I quoted you but it was actually in response to multiple comments.