Type keyword(s) to search

The Lonely Js Club: Jason, James, Jackson & Johannah

Message added by Scarlett45,

Discussing the charges against Jana is fine, but do not post any information that reveals her address/contact information- even if said documents are public (i.e. a part of court proceedings.)

Discussing charges against Jana is NOT a jumping off point to speculate on other instances abuse/neglect etc towards the M-children or to elaborate on Josh's conviction and potential victims.  

• Start Topic

I hate it.  I don't like the barn door approach to decorating though.  In ten years someone will have a business removing those things because they're a passing fad.  The random posts would have me running out the front door.  I agree the interior and exterior do not match.  The exterior makes the interior look pretentious.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, drafan said:

But they don't cook, so why would they think of that!

It's funny...they're so old-fashioned in everything and claim to not watch TV. But when it has the scent of money on it, they're up to date for resale and obviously have watched some HGTV. I think they now twist that and rationalize that watching on an Ipad doesn't count.

This looks like something that Joanna Gaines would design.  Since we all know that the Duggars love the Gaines', I am not surprised.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

This looks like something that Joanna Gaines would design.  Since we all know that the Duggars love the Gaines', I am not surprised.

My first thought on seeing the photos was "Fixer Upper on a budget".

It's looks ok.  Not a fan of carpeting but wood flooring was probably too expensive.  Don't understand why are there no mirrors over the sinks in the bathrooms.

• Love 8
(edited)

I’m not sure that solid looking sliding door is quite right for a bathroom.

ISqps0wbc835921000000000.jpg

And 18 can lights in one room seems like you’re doing it wrong. 

IS233z3crz5p1l1000000000.jpg

plain ugly 

ISqhuky1ykq41x1000000000.jpg

really ugly

ISmic8wfh3ritm1000000000.jpg

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 7

I can see the appeal of barn doors leading into a smaller room where a standard door opening into it would take up precious space.  Ideally, pocket doors would solve that problem but I think they are pricey, require a higher level of expertise to install correctly, and I imagine you need wall space free of plumbing and electrical wiring.  But scale is important.  I understand they have to be taller than the door opening, but then I would get a taller standard door so the heights would match. 

Just my 2 cents...

• Love 8

It's a pretty trendy design, so maybe Austin was involved or maybe random J'boy just spent an hour on Zillow. 

That kitchen has probably more storage than my condo kitchen does. You learn to deal with it -- like the grocery store isn't going to have a sudden shortage of baking supplies, so I don't need to stock up, nor do I need another kitchen gadget that will just gather dust. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

My first thought on seeing the photos was "Fixer Upper on a budget".

Given he bought it for $33,000 and is asking $167,000, he stands to make a pretty good profit. Contrary to what I've seen on HGTV most of the house flips in my town are done as cheaply as possible, using whatever is on sale at Home Depot or scrounged at Habitat for Humanity. This house looks like they put some thought and money into it.

• Love 2

My main issue is that the house is 60 years old.  Sure, he did cosmetic work but are the plumbing, HVAC, and electric up to code?  How about the roof?  That stuff is not pretty but it does eat into the budget.  Given that it is a Duggar we are talking about I really have to wonder how much was actually done.

• Love 11

They've been watching too much Fixer Upper. Whitney and Zach's house looks almost exactly the same, just like all of the houses Joanna designs. 

Swipe for more pictures 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Lunera said:

They've been watching too much Fixer Upper. Whitney and Zach's house looks almost exactly the same, just like all of the houses Joanna designs. 

Swipe for more pictures 

I actually like this kitchen.  It does not have the open-shelves that Joanna Gaines is enamored with, but full on cabinets.  I am fine with a few glass panel cabinets for storage of nice pottery and dishes.  I will never understand the concept of no upper cabinets but open shelves.  That is a dust and dirt magnet and limits where you store the free cups and tupperware dishes without lids.

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I actually like this kitchen.  It does not have the open-shelves that Joanna Gaines is enamored with, but full on cabinets.  I am fine with a few glass panel cabinets for storage of nice pottery and dishes.  I will never understand the concept of no upper cabinets but open shelves.  That is a dust and dirt magnet and limits where you store the free cups and tupperware dishes without lids.

Same. I'm kind of jealous of that kitchen. (My guilty pleasure is interior design and real estate listings.) 

• Love 1
(edited)

The reclaimed wood on the back of the island looks like it has fungus.  Too much going on , especially next to the floor which is a bit busy, and the granite.  Not sure if the floor is wood-look ceramic, but if it is the grout is much too light.  They should have gone with a similar color to the tile.  Just way too much going on pattern-wise.  The cabinets, backsplash, and countertops look fine together.

I think Zach and Whitney's kitchen looks nice.  The floor is more uniform.  The only nitpick I have is the small granite backsplash and then the tiles.  It looks like the tiles were added as an afterthought.  In my humble opinion, it would have looked nicer if the subway tile extended to the edge of the counter. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 8

My kitchen remodel will start in about a month.  Sorry, just not a fan of gray for any room.  I think it'll be dated like the Harvest Gold and Avocado Green from the late 60's-early 70's.  Plus, I don't like gray skies.  To me, it's a depressing color.  

I am getting white cabinets, to replace the dark wood-looking crap I've made do with for too many years.  I like wood-look vinyl for floors, so I'm getting that.  Open shelves for the hate-to-dust?  No, no and no.  YMMV

• Love 16

I can handle like one grey room, but the entire house? no.  I realize they are doing it in a "neutral" color to sell, but it still seems depressing.  Totally agree with whoever said the grout in the "wood" floor in the kitchen is too light.  Now I can't unsee it.  Is it just me or does the kitchen shot of Jason's house look like the entire floor is slanted towards the left - the stove side?

It looks like Whitney and Zach did a lot of work on that kitchen.  Good for them. I'm just not a fan of stainless steel and lack of color, but that's my personal preference.

• Love 7

I really really want a white kitchen, but since we have put a fair amount into this house already, and it really needs a new roof and driveway, I think our kitchen redo will be pretty much limited to countertops, backsplash and floor. It's actually a good size kitchen with lots of cabinets. They are oak, which I'm not a fan of - I'd choose maple or fruitwood if I was going with a natural wood finish, but are good and solid, so I guess once we get rid of the baby blue formica and figure out  something to give the walls some interest, it will be ok.

I don't love all those different textures in their kitchen - especially the island looks kind of slapdash, dont care for the trend of using barn doors inside, and agree that the interior looks as though it's trying too hard to be something it's not when they really haven't put any effort into curb appeal, but overall a pretty good job.

• Love 2

I finally have the white IKEA kitchen of my dreams with a cream/gray quartz and white subway tiles back splash.  I absolutely love it. I lusted after a similar one in an IKEA store for years every time I came here to visit (and we moved here).  Now that I go to IKEA regularly I still stop by the kitchens and, they recently got rid of "my" white kitchen!!!  The nerve!!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't care for them either. In addition to the dust factor that you mentioned, what family realistically stacks their dishes, cups and glasses in perfect showroom fashion every day? Good luck maintaining perfect order in a house full of kids. Personally, I want all my kitchen junk behind solid doors, that way I can make an easy swipe across surfaces when I have to clean. 

• Love 10
On 7/18/2018 at 10:47 AM, Absolom said:

I hate it.  I don't like the barn door approach to decorating though.  In ten years someone will have a business removing those things because they're a passing fad.  The random posts would have me running out the front door.  I agree the interior and exterior do not match.  The exterior makes the interior look pretentious.

I agree. I hate those damn barn doors!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I agree. I hate those damn barn doors!

Me too! I actually think they did a good job following what's on-trend, but the current trends suck. Fixer Upper is a plague. People keep buying up all the good houses in my city, knocking out every possible wall (where do they put their books and art? LOL they don't.), then doing that gray paint/white marble counter/subway tile backsplash/wasteful wood flooring that kills endangered species thing on every single one. Just like Joanna, they rip out every architectural, period-appropriate detail, and replace it with a piece of rusty metal from a flea market. Asymmetrical Roman brick fireplace? She can't even bear to look! Throw it in the landfill ASAP! Replace it with Austin stone! Colors? Not in my house! Knock out that window and put in almost exactly the same window, but an inch to the left!

Joanna always rubbed me the wrong way until I figured out why: she's one of those people who claims to love animals, but she hates cats. Not my kind of people.

Anyway, I'm not surprised this house sold, and if it fell through, it will probably sell again soon. It's what TV tells people they want a house to look like.

• Love 24
41 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Me too! I actually think they did a good job following what's on-trend, but the current trends suck. Fixer Upper is a plague. People keep buying up all the good houses in my city, knocking out every possible wall (where do they put their books and art? LOL they don't.), then doing that gray paint/white marble counter/subway tile backsplash/wasteful wood flooring that kills endangered species thing on every single one. Just like Joanna, they rip out every architectural, period-appropriate detail, and replace it with a piece of rusty metal from a flea market. Asymmetrical Roman brick fireplace? She can't even bear to look! Throw it in the landfill ASAP! Replace it with Austin stone! Colors? Not in my house! Knock out that window and put in almost exactly the same window, but an inch to the left!

Joanna always rubbed me the wrong way until I figured out why: she's one of those people who claims to love animals, but she hates cats. Not my kind of people.

Anyway, I'm not surprised this house sold, and if it fell through, it will probably sell again soon. It's what TV tells people they want a house to look like.

My dad was in the flooring biz and we had hardwood floors at home.  After living with them, hearing nightmare stories about scratches or water leaks that required it all to be replaced, I decided I would go for a high end laminate.  I also prefer that trees not be cut down just so I can have a pretty floor.  I hate it on House Hunters and the like when they see a beautiful old home with character and they make it open floor plan and make it generic trendy.  I want rooms!

• Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

The Gaineses are fake as fuck, but I guess that's not unusual for TV personalities. Whenever I hear about them, that blind about Chip forcing them to have to quit their show because of bad behavior behind the scenes and Joanna being steamed about it immediately comes to mind.

Edited by graefin
  • Love 5

a quick comment about white kitchen cabinets since it applies to the show topic of the moment -- i have lived with three kitchens with white cabinets. I HATE THEM! they show every dirty fingerprint that your family has touched them with. the paint chips off eventually and looks like crap. i am gonna go old-school and have some kind of wood that looks like wood when i remodel (in my dreams for the moment - we don't own our home). and i want knobs or handles to open the cupboards with too, just in case!

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

My dad was in the flooring biz and we had hardwood floors at home.  After living with them, hearing nightmare stories about scratches or water leaks that required it all to be replaced, I decided I would go for a high end laminate.  I also prefer that trees not be cut down just so I can have a pretty floor.  I hate it on House Hunters and the like when they see a beautiful old home with character and they make it open floor plan and make it generic trendy.  I want rooms!

I remember watching one episode where this couple in the Bay Area absolutely massacred a 19th century Victorian. They said they chose the house for its' "character" and then proceeded to rip out every period detail they could find. I was wishing a plague on both of them by the time the episode was over.

With regards to Jason's house, I think the finishes clash. He's got warm-toned floors with a cool paint color and that stone/wood combo on the back of the breakfast bar is hideous. I know the family thinks Jana is this amayyyy-zinnggg decorator, but if this is her brainchild, then I'm not impressed.

• Love 9
(edited)

The house is interesting, I will say that. The kitchen seems chopped up to me, not user friendly. Did anyone see where the refrigerator is? I don’t recall seeing one, or a spot to put one.

Disregard ! No refrigerator,  but there is a space for one. It’s shown among the bathroom pictures!

Edited by ginger90
(edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 11:46 AM, Heathen said:

It's a pretty trendy design, so maybe Austin was involved or maybe random J'boy just spent an hour on Zillow. 

That kitchen has probably more storage than my condo kitchen does. You learn to deal with it -- like the grocery store isn't going to have a sudden shortage of baking supplies, so I don't need to stock up, nor do I need another kitchen gadget that will just gather dust. 

Yes the storage looks fine to me. 1-2 cabinets for dishes, 1-2 cabinets for pantry items and then your fridge. Kitchen gadgets in the cabinets below the open space . My stance is the grocery store is open every day and there are several, I don’t need months of food in my house. 

I kind of like it. It would be a nice starter home. I’m still in awe home prices are so low!!! Jason has accomplished something good for him- but he should’ve updated the outside. Painting it white would’ve freshened it up. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 5

I'd hire the best and pickiest licensed engineer I could find to inspect that house if I wanted to buy it. I can totally see a Duggar doing all the cosmetics and skimping on updating the important systems: electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, insulation, basic structure, roof.

Cosmetically it's better than I expected from a Duggar. I think there's plenty of kitchen cabinet space to work with.

But the lack of updating to the exterior suggests strongly to me they put all the effort into interior cosmetics and finishes. Did they even put on a new roof?

It's not just about a Duggar flip: I would hope that anyone buying a flipped house, anywhere and at any price point, would get a very thorough inspection done and carefully review all the work that was done by the flipper.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

One thing about Joanna Gaines's decorating theme that I detest, loathe, hate with a passion, is SHIPLAP!  She puts that stuff everywhere, and in so many cases, it makes the interior of the houses look unfinished.  I grew up in a house, I'm here still, that has an enclosed back porch that was built on by my father and grandfather.  It was to be a utility room. so they left the wood siding in the interior as it was, and didn't finish it.  It got old really fast, lol!  If I ever got a ton of money, I would pull the whole back of the house off, rebuild that room, and finish it properly.  So as a consequence, I have hated shiplap and it's ilk ever since.  Hopefully, the Duggar boys will find a new trend that actually is attractive in a home.  They look like they have a few skills there, they need to get a little bit better at interior design.  

• Love 9
16 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I remember watching one episode where this couple in the Bay Area absolutely massacred a 19th century Victorian. They said they chose the house for its' "character" and then proceeded to rip out every period detail they could find. I was wishing a plague on both of them by the time the episode was over.

With regards to Jason's house, I think the finishes clash. He's got warm-toned floors with a cool paint color and that stone/wood combo on the back of the breakfast bar is hideous. I know the family thinks Jana is this amayyyy-zinnggg decorator, but if this is her brainchild, then I'm not impressed.

People that do that to these beautiful homes do not deserve them.  I am right there with you wishing them the plague!

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Absolom said:

I saw that last week.  I thought it was here.  I guess not.

Shhhh  I lifted it from FJ. Credit to whomever posted it over there. I had never seen it here but man it's just so creepy how she is almost a clone of Jana.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Mollie said:

She has a ring on her left hand!

Not a ring.  Her fourth and fifth fingers are slightly apart.  The white area between them is the fingernail of her right hand's index finger.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

And no mirrors above any of the sinks.

That entire house redo is fifty shades of grey ugly.  It looks like it was decorated by a teenage boy.  And that's because it was!

Counting On.jpg

• Love 4
On 7/21/2018 at 8:25 AM, Fuzzysox said:

I had never seen it here but man it's just so creepy how she is almost a clone of Jana.

But it looks like her curls are real and not permed in, so she goes up about fifty points for that.

4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

And no mirrors above any of the sinks.

Maybe they are selling to the Amish market.

I don't mind the reclaimed wood.....it'll be in style for about 5 more minutes, but easy enough to cover up. As for grey....that's what is selling right now!!! Everything is grey for new builds and resale. White cabinets and grey walls....I single-handedly blame Joanna Gaines.

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, Mollie said:

That entire house redo is fifty shades of grey ugly.  It looks like it was decorated by a teenage boy.  And that's because it was!

Counting On.jpg

The wall of the island looks like he was trying to mimic one of those mother-of-pearl nacreous type kitchen backsplashes; but I don't think the color palette is successful on a 1000% scale.  Mashed together with the countertop (faux-marbre I think they call it?) and floorboard choices it's hideous.  The floor should pick up one of the lighter board tones in the island wall (clearly not the gray-green; though maybe slate would have worked well).

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Mollie said:

Counting On.jpg

It really is ugly. Each of the pieces, though, is on-trend: open floor-plan, granite counter-tops, reclaimed wood, and the inexplicable faux-wood ceramic tile. The pieces simply don't work together at all, but I'm sure that someone will show up who will think it's bee-u-tiful.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Mollie said:

Austin, I think, designed their house and it has the same finishes. He isn't a teenager (I think he's 24?)

10 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Austin, I think, designed their house and it has the same finishes. He isn't a teenager (I think he's 24?)

That's Jason's house and he's 18.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Mollie said:

That's Jason's house and he's 18.

I know that's Jason's house. Joy and Austin's house looks like just Jason's house to me and Austin probably designed his/their house and he's in his twenties.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1