Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Joy's Wedding/S05.E02: Triple Date Night

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in: 1.628 M viewers and a .33 rating.

And it will only go down from here. I doubt Jessa let TLC film Hank's birth. We'll probably get phone footage like last time. I kind of respect her for that. I wouldn't want a camera crew up my hoo-ha either.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Joe and Kendra looked like they were about to kiss.  Made me wonder if they already have. 

I noticed that too. The way they leaned in and pulled back was a dead giveaway. Also how Kendra mentioned digging in Joe's pocket to get a mint. That's a pretty intimate gesture for two people allegedly limited to side hugs.

I have to admit though, I like Joe and Kendra together more than I thought I would. Joe was sweet when he told Kendra she looked pretty and Kendra didn't come off as dumb as she did in the courtship video.

• Love 14
35 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Bobby is married to Austin's sister. He's a lawyer, but Travis Story fundie. 

Not exactly.  

Austin's sister Meagan married Bobby Ballinger Jr.  He did not go to college and is not a lawyer.  He runs a graphics design business and raises cattle.  He and Meagan also work at the Fort Rock Family Camp.

Bobby's father, Bob Ballinger, has been an Arkansas State Representative since 2013.  Since 2015, Bob has also been an attorney with the Travis Story Law Firm.  Just another spoke in the circle Jim Bob hangs out in.

• Love 2

Jessa, Jinger, Joy got really $$ honeymoons but Jill and Derick stayed in North Carolina. 

I posted this in the other forum but maybe they wanted to stay in the USA due to Derick's mom being so very sick at that point.  I never went more than a few hours away when my mom was on chemotherapy.  If Miss Cathy took a bad turn, they could get a quick flight back to Arkansas pretty easily.  Europe would be way, way more complicated for them to get home quickly. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Jessa, Jinger, Joy got really $$ honeymoons but Jill and Derick stayed in North Carolina. 

I posted this in the other forum but maybe they wanted to stay in the USA due to Derick's mom being so very sick at that point.  

That wouldn't surprise me and with all the stress over Cathy's health, maybe they just weren't up for a long plane ride and days of jet lag. My sister honeymooned on the North Carolina shore and she said it was absolutely beautiful. IMO, sending a Duggar anywhere exotic is a waste. It's not like they appreciate the history or the culture. They just do the same cliche touristy things that everyone else does and then they call it a day.

• Love 11

My thoughts:

Nice communion dress Joy. She should have put her hair up.

Things that grated on my nerves:

Boob and Mechelle saying that the Caldwells are "dear friends."

Joy saying, "I'm marrying my best friend."

That's all I got.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Not exactly.  

Austin's sister Meagan married Bobby Ballinger Jr.  He did not go to college and is not a lawyer.  He runs a graphics design business and raises cattle.  He and Meagan also work at the Fort Rock Family Camp.

Bobby's father, Bob Ballinger, has been an Arkansas State Representative since 2013.  Since 2015, Bob has also been an attorney with the Travis Story Law Firm.  Just another spoke in the circle Jim Bob hangs out in.

Yeah, I know about the father but for some reason thought Bobby had followed in his Dad's footsteps. Ah well, yet another second generation fundie who wasn't afforded the opportunities his parents had. 

At least he works, which is more than I can say for certain Duggars adjacents.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Jill also got a trip to Nepal so the finances may balance in the end.

• Love 8
(edited)

Any shots of Jana and her beau...Jonathon?

Got a glimpse of Josie's bald head(Bless her heart) with another little girl eating or sticking their licked fingers into EACH and EVERY cupcake.

Joy was  always stuck with the little kids and not with her older sisters in the early shows so am happy if she is happy becoming unpaid worker for the fundy fun ranch and doing house renos.

Jess is really a piece of work making her 19 year old sister buy such ugly clothes...that's just mean...

Wondered if Kendra had landed a kiss that she would have been slapped full in the face by her parents and fiance?

She came too close...

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, I know about the father but for some reason thought Bobby had followed in his Dad's footsteps. Ah well, yet another second generation fundie who wasn't afforded the opportunities his parents had. 

At least he works, which is more than I can say for certain Duggars adjacents.

Bobby Jr. also ran for State Representative, but lost.  Here's his bio: http://www.ballingerforarkansas.com/about

40 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Jill also got a trip to Nepal so the finances may balance in the end.

Not to mention the two McMansions. Jinger got a car and Jessa got all new furniture, so I agree it's likely pretty even across the board. The only one not getting jack is poor, lonely, eternally single Jana.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Ben is not my favorite and the asshole in me took pleasure in Austin quietly showing him up at the trampoline park.

I love the annual dick measuring contest that comes with each Duggar wedding. Wtf was up with Derrick though? I was embarrassed the way he was flailing while trying to horizontally maneuver those swinging bars. And then the poor thing couldn't even pull himself up the net. Get that boy some protein shakes, asap. Joy probably has more upper body strength than he does.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

They went to both Colorado then Switzerland. I guess Austin wanted to see some mountains.

You mean other than Joy's?

Ok. Off to the prayer closet.

• Love 16

Joy's wedding was cringeworthy for a lot of reasons, but I do have to admit that I feel less dread for her than I did Jessa. I was pretty indifferent towards Derrick and I'm still hopeful about Babe, but Austin seems like a decent guy who wants the wife and family and though they won't have the most amazing live, will likely get by and have a happy home. He gives me a 1920's vibe. Reality will eventually crash down on them, but I see them surviving. I'm still not convinced Jill or Jessa aren't miserable, but I have a feeling Joy will do just fine. Not spectacular, but fine. And for any Duggar child, at this point, fine is enough. 

• Love 6

Jim Bob's pants no longer fit him. They were hanging low on him, under his gut and pulling across his hips when he was walking Joy to the sanctuary. He also had ALOT of junk in his pockets which also ruined the lines in his pants and his tie was to short for his beer belly. He really didn't look good at all.

Joy's filthy feet were disgusting, but not as disgusting as those dirty shoes she put her feet in. They needed to go out in their dumpster. Get those children some new good shoes for their feet. I bet they will all have foot problems very soon if not already.

Did anyone notice how awful Anna looked? She wasn't seen much, but when she was walking in the sanctuary her face looked terrible and she had little Betty Boop lips. I don't think she was feeling well and her eyes were glassy. I really hope she doesn't have blood pressure issues.

Joy can't seem to make a decision for herself. It was pathetic to watch her ask Austin absolutely everything about how she should look at her own wedding. He really didn't give a damn; hair up, braided, veil or not. He WAS trying, however, to get HER to make up her own mind.

Jinger needs to decide that she's a grown woman of 23 and buy herself a whole new wardrobe that a well dressed conservative woman would wear. She's flip flopping back and forth being an adult then being a middle schooler. Michelle has no class, really.

• Love 6
(edited)

Yeah, I rarely cringe, but, I actually cringed at two parts last night.  Poor Joy.....she's so immature.  I mean painfully so.  Pleading with her finance to instruct her on her hairstyle for the ceremony.....please.  It was clear to me the reason they had to see each other before the ceremony. Joy wasn't mature enough to handle it without his input.  Oh well.... I was impressed with Austin.  He seems quite normal.  I mean, he seems more normal than anyone else in the family really.  Maybe, Joy is smarter than I thought.  The part about his biggest dream being to get married and have kids, sort of threw me, but, other than that, he seemed fine.  I do wonder if he will tire of keeping Joy supervised, I mean, entertained. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

Joy always seem to be muttering under her breath in the episodes when she was dealing with the young kids so didn't seem as dazed as the others.

Austin looks to be a hard worker, made his own money by flipping houses in addition to helping with the family biz so at least Joy won't be dependent on TLC money.

Getting away from her dopey parents and her chaotic family...working with the customers at the Family camp and her husband is better than being followed by TLC cameras.

Time for her to jump ship before Jana does...last one is a rotten egg...

• Love 2

Was I the only one who, when whoever it was called for "all the single ladies" to line up for the bouquet toss, would have paid money for them to break out in some choreographed Beyoncé?

• Love 19

Much as I think Jim really is a total boob, I really do think he loves his daughters a lot in his own way (not more than Josh, but you get my point)

Biggest shock of the episode for me was when they pointed out Kendra's dad who looks to be about 29!

• Love 6

If they really want ratings to improve, they'll get Jana courting. 

I saw cousin Amy and Carlin Dugger at the wedding, as well as Nathan Bates former courtshipper, Ashley. Didn't recognize many other faces. 

I like Kendra better now and the proposal was very sweet. 

In the car on the way to the triple date, they actually seemed to display (shocker) some personality. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

The man bun is the mullet of  millennials

I don't think they look good on very many men.

3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I thought Jill cut that off of him awhile ago?  Did he have it at the wedding or was this old footage?  My headship better have plans tonight because the tv is MINE so I can watch this without judgement or audible eyerolling!  

He had the bun at the wedding as well as in the "journey to the wedding" .He didn't look good to me :(

When Jessa and Jill took Joy shopping, they took her to an actual store??  I couldn't believe it.  Also it was the least enthusiastic shopping I have ever seen.  It was kind of sad.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I love the annual dick measuring contest that comes with each Duggar wedding. Wtf was up with Derrick though? I was embarrassed the way he was flailing while trying to horizontally maneuver those swinging bars. And then the poor thing couldn't even pull himself up the net. Get that boy some protein shakes, asap. Joy probably has more upper body strength than he does.

Hell, I'm almost twice Derelict's age and I bet that *I* have more upper body strength than he. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, pinguina said:

I don't think they look good on very many men.

He had the bun at the wedding as well as in the "journey to the wedding" .He didn't look good to me :(

Jill cut his hair Feb 25.  Even a manly man like Derrick couldn't grow a man bun back by late May. I guess he had it at JinJers.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

Was I the only one who, when whoever it was called for "all the single ladies" to line up for the bouquet toss, would have paid money for them to break out in some choreographed Beyoncé?

That would have been magical!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

It's kind of funny (maybe sad) that Joy's dress hasn't been mentioned yet...as far as I can tell. Blah just like her.

Her dress and photos were all over the internet.  If you would like, there is more about it in the Joy and Austin thread. 

So is Cindy the wedding planner Michelle's bestie from high school? From the high school re-union episode? The one she goes to Planet Fitness with?

Joy wanting kids right away is realistic. If you don't try to prevent it, it will happen sooner than later. 

I didn't watch either. 

my request is to get either Jana or JD courting (who are only 27) and for the love of God not with a teenage spouse! 

• Love 5

Joy was the last kid that I could tolerate since all the boys were raised  to be dunderheads.

Joy can now hire her girl siblings to come work at the Family Camp at below minimum wages, charge them for their room and board and that will still be better to cook and clean up after hundreds of paying strangers than cleaning up after their stupid brothers and parents.

Grandma can get out of the laundry room and chaperone the girls at the camp.

Free GrandMa.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, I rarely cringe, but, I actually cringed at two parts last night.  Poor Joy.....she's so immature.  I mean painfully so.  Pleading with her finance to instruct her on her hairstyle for the ceremony.....please.   

I don't know what it is about relationships that turns Fundie women into simpering idiots, but Joy was downright embarrassing in that scene. She kept repeating "it's about what you like" over and over and it made me nauseous. I wish someone would tell these girls it's possible to strike a balance between pleasing your partner and becoming a subservient doormat.

• Love 8

When Jill was going on and on about people saying "you were my best friend" aka someone being jealous of her relationship with Derrick- that was a dig at Jana? Jill was the first girl to get married, and once she spied Derrick that was all she could think about. While I don't think Jana and Jill were close like Jessa and Jinger are, as the two oldest they spent a lot of time together. I could see Jana feeling socially isolated when Jill was all about Derrick, not in a jealous way but in an excluded way. And Jill seems to have been a beeyatch about it. 

• Love 7

I know it's rude - but my first thought - was man, Kendra is not much to look at. But then I caught myself bc it's not like her fiancé is a looker -- he's 22 going on 45 with his gut and hairline. That being said, I think it counts for a LOT more that those two look happy together and look comfortable. When she was hanging out with him pre-wedding, they were talking like a normal couple. When he proposed to her, he definitely front hugged her after she said yes and they both looked like they were wanting to lean in for a kiss in a very natural way. The second hug was more side-ish and of course when Austin called him out with "no kissing" -- he pulled back. And then he was telling the story that she was reaching into his jacket pocket for mints and he had to move quick bc that's where he had his ring -- that's some definite normal comfort for a girlfriend to reach into her boyfriend's jacket pocket even if that means that she'd [gasp] brush against his chest.

Austin -- from what little we've seen -- strikes me as Brandon Keilen (the Bates son in law). According to his friends who've known him since age 7-9, everything he has done in his life has been to allow himself to get married and be a father -- that's all he wants. He even said that he went to his dad at SEVENTEEN and asked what he had to do to prep for marriage. So all the house flipping stuff was to learn a trade to be able to support a wife and kids. His vows were ridiculously fundie even for a fundie guy. They struck me as -- he's a simple guy and all he wants to do is serve God and the way you do that is by producing lots of Christian children and having your wife and kids follow you as you follow he Lord. The negative for Joy here (and Michaela Bates) is that guys like this -- they just needed a wife to complete the picture and bear his kids. It doesn't matter who the girl is, as long as she'll meekly follow his will. Sure guys like this wouldn't be able to marry a Carlin or Tori Bates bc those girls have too much personality and attitude and won't meekly serve. But other than that, any fundie girl will do. So Joy -- welcome to your new life. Serving Austin 3 meals a day, washing is underwear, starting in 9 months bearing his kids, and bearing another one every year thereafter for as long as the Lord wills. And she's doing a great job of meekness already. I mean desperately begging the groom to tell her whether he wants her to wear her hair up or down and wear a veil or not for the wedding!? Who does that!? What bride cares what the groom wants? And even when courting -- Joy goes from -- I don't like dresses, but Austin likes them on me . . . so I'm going to buy 3 of them right now. That's exactly what Austin is looking for in a wife . . . .

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, cereality said:

The negative for Joy here (and Michaela Bates) is that guys like this -- they just needed a wife to complete the picture and bear his kids. It doesn't matter who the girl is, as long as she'll meekly follow his will. 

Sad, but true. Michael and Brandon have been married close to two years and she still acts like she's walking on eggshells around him. You don't get the sense that they ever relax, crack jokes and have a good time. Austin strikes me as similarly rigid. Like Brandon, I don't get a cruel vibe, but I don't think he's someone who'd be all that fun to be married to. In that sense I think it's a good thing Joy is dumb as a box of rocks. She'll bend to his will like an obedient puppy and not think anything of it.

• Love 12
Just now, BitterApple said:

Sad, but true. Michael and Brandon have been married close to two years and she still acts like she's walking on eggshells around him. You don't get the sense that they ever relax, crack jokes and have a good time. Austin strikes me as similarly rigid. Like Brandon, I don't get a cruel vibe, but I don't think he's someone who'd be all that fun to be married to. In that sense I think it's a good thing Joy is dumb as a box of rocks. She'll bend to his will like an obedient puppy and not think anything of it.

Exactly - Brandon and Michael act like they're on a 2nd date, not husband and wife for two years. Must be doubly hard right now bc they haven't been able to get pregnant asap and I bet they aren't even able to talk about that and say what they honestly feel so they are hiding behind "it's not the Lord's will yet." Whereas the other Bates marriages are MUCH different and those spouses really interact like best friends and regular young couples. Erin Bates miscarried a few times and then got medical treatment -- I'm fairly sure if Chad started on any of the "on no we should just keep praying and trying" Erin was able to very directly say -- look I'm miserable, bleeding out after a miscarriage hurts, I really want a baby, I don't want to keep trying and miscarrying for 5 more yrs if it's just a matter of needing to take a pill or something -- and off to the dr. they went. Meanwhile Michaela has to obey her master and if she is going to convince him on this issue she has to go thru the whole farce of -- the Lord's directing me to this, why don't you pray about it and see if he directs you too. This is how I see Joy and Austin's life. Doubt there will be fertility issues though given that she's starting at freaking 19. I feel bad for her that she is likely already experiencing pelvic exams and will experience labor in 9 months . . . .

• Love 7
59 minutes ago, sheshark said:

Jill cut his hair Feb 25.  Even a manly man like Derrick couldn't grow a man bun back by late May. I guess he had it at JinJers.

They showed Derelict seating himself at Joy's wedding. His hair was very, very short. I guess Hippie Jesus will grow it out again once they return to Danger America. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, cereality said:

Exactly - Brandon and Michael act like they're on a 2nd date, not husband and wife for two years. Must be doubly hard right now bc they haven't been able to get pregnant asap and I bet they aren't even able to talk about that and say what they honestly feel so they are hiding behind "it's not the Lord's will yet." Whereas the other Bates marriages are MUCH different and those spouses really interact like best friends and regular young couples. Erin Bates miscarried a few times and then got medical treatment -- I'm fairly sure if Chad started on any of the "on no we should just keep praying and trying" Erin was able to very directly say -- look I'm miserable, bleeding out after a miscarriage hurts, I really want a baby, I don't want to keep trying and miscarrying for 5 more yrs if it's just a matter of needing to take a pill or something -- and off to the dr. they went. Meanwhile Michaela has to obey her master and if she is going to convince him on this issue she has to go thru the whole farce of -- the Lord's directing me to this, why don't you pray about it and see if he directs you too. This is how I see Joy and Austin's life. Doubt there will be fertility issues though given that she's starting at freaking 19. I feel bad for her that she is likely already experiencing pelvic exams and will experience labor in 9 months . . . .

I could not imagine being in Michael's place, especially if the infertility is on her end rather than Brandon's. Not only do I think he would be neutral at best, accusatory at worst as a husband, can you imagine her confiding in Kelly about this, a woman that has had 19 successful singleton pregnancies and births? There's no way she could ever identify with or even understand what Michael is going through, and I just can't see her as a good bastion of support; Kelly seems self-interested/self involved as it is. I only hope no Duggar girl goes through what Michael is going through, because MEchelle would be an even worse support system. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ChaChaSlide said:

I could not imagine being in Michael's place, especially if the infertility is on her end rather than Brandon's. 

The sad part is that in their world it's usually assumed that it's the woman's fault.

• Love 4
(edited)

Henry VIII certainly belived it as religious knowledge, as well as the woman determining the sex of any live births. And 200 years later when the Bible was translated into English, it was clear that infertility was the woman's fault, that she was "barren."

Let's just hope that Joy is far less fertile than her mother, Jill, and Jessa (esp. Jessa) and more like Jinger. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Wedding:  hated the clothes, hated the decor and ridiculous confetti, HATED the vows, double dog hated the prayer circle. And so many other things.  But for some odd reason, I found Joy and Austin pretty damn adorkable.  Do I think they should be married this soon?  Hell no.  But yeah, adorkable.

• Love 5

The only element of Joy's wedding I semi-liked was the cupcake display. Everything else was a disaster. It seemed like they barely rehearsed. Joy had no idea what to do and kept peppering Austin with questions while Pastor Caldwell was officiating. It was a pretty sloppy ceremony, even for a Duggar.

• Love 8

It kind of bothered me that it was a 6:30 wedding, and they expected guests to already have eaten after long drives for many of them. The ceremony (if that was all of it, and I doubt it was...I've read that Benessa's was an hour), they should have served real food, even if it was just hors d'ourvers like Jinger had. I bet a lot of the ADULTS loaded up on the cupcakes, popcorn, and mints. Have we heard of any other refreshments served that required chewing? 

• Love 7