Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Joy's Wedding/S05.E02: Triple Date Night

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Why HAY???

Hay must be a "thing", I guess...My next-door-neighbor's son is getting married this September in their backyard. The whole thing is supposed to have a very "rustic" air, though the bride sounds as though she probably got the whole thing off pinterest, and is very particular about the details. They are renting a big tent, but seating will be on hay bales...the farmer across the street gave them a good deal on "renting" the hay that he will then turn around and sell...Sounds like a great deal for him, anyway! LOL. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, orangeiguana said:

Good lord, what's the fascination with all that long stringy hair? And where did they find a trumpeter *quite* so dreadful?

I finally broke down and watched the wedding and stringy exactly the way I'd describe Joy's hair.   It looked awful, but not as bad as Austin's mother's.  Mechelle's looked better than hers and that's saying something. 

I only watched part of Jinger's wedding and have only seen clips of parts of the other Duggar weddings.  Do they never have a bride's/head table for the bride and groom, their parents, and the wedding party?   It looked like everyone was wandering aimlessly.  Do they usually provide chairs and tables for their guests to sit at and eat their meager refreshments?  Even the simplest weddings I've attended have had nicely decorated tables for their guests.

I like Kendra more than I thought I would.  She was giggly, but at least she was having a good time and showed some personality.

I wonder if Joy signed the marriage license with an X.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Abmis said:

I only watched part of Jinger's wedding and have only seen clips of parts of the other Duggar weddings.  Do they never have a bride's/head table for the bride and groom, their parents, and the wedding party?   It looked like everyone was wandering aimlessly.  Do they usually provide chairs and tables for their guests to sit at and eat their meager refreshments?  Even the simplest weddings I've attended have had nicely decorated tables for their guests.

From what I've seen, they've never had adequate seating at any of the weddings. Duggar receptions are the barest of bare bones and they don't want people sticking around long, because the real party for the A-crowd takes place back at the TTH. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, loloandco said:

I agree that Austin and Laura had chemistry. She was very flirty with him. Maybe she has too much personality so he chose Joy instead?

Okay, good. So, I'm not the only one who noticed this? Haha. I feel like they were flirting A LOT HAHA

• Love 2
On 6/12/2017 at 9:18 PM, Annb67 said:

Then he inspects it and says "Are you not doing a braid?" Really? Yeah Austin I'm going to braid your pubes. Sorry....off to the prayer closet. I know the way....

Is he old enough to have pubes?

• Love 2
On 6/15/2017 at 8:33 PM, Angeltoes said:

I hope that we find out that Jana's constant Mona Lisa smile is because she's always thinking about the wild affair she's having with the UPS delivery guy.

This would be AWESOME.

• Love 7
On 6/15/2017 at 1:28 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Jill has been living (and raising) babies and kids for most of her life. She should know all this stuff.

She should know all of this---and likely does, but if she is suffering from PPD or clinical depression or any other number of mental diseases---she isn't thinking clearly. 

About Joe and Kendra---Joe actually made me gasp. And I don't even like Joe. But when he came out to see Kendra, while complimenting her hair he actually reached out and touched the ends of it and put his hand right near her tatas. I commend him for his bravery---not just for doing it, but while knowing the TLC crew was standing by recording it. 

• Love 7
On 6/16/2017 at 3:53 PM, ariel said:

I wondering if Joy/Austin really did follow the "rules"  Hypocrisy seems to run rampant in their cult.

I find Austin to be the biggest kool-aid drinker yet, so I say no, they didn't kiss before the wedding. 

12 hours ago, loloandco said:

I agree that Austin and Laura had chemistry. She was very flirty with him. Maybe she has too much personality so he chose Joy instead?

Laura looked like half Duggar girl, half Bates girl.

• Love 3
On 6/13/2017 at 6:18 PM, GeeGolly said:

Ben is not my favorite and the asshole in me took pleasure in Austin quietly showing him up at the trampoline park.

I wish I could like this x100!

Bin and Derrick both seemed even more dim, dull and idiotic than usual while in Austin's company. Let's see how long Austin can retain his 'luster' now that he's married into JimBob's universe. 

I also chuckled each and every time they said or showed 'Austin Martyn.' All I could think of was Astin Martin and I heard an accompanying 'vroom vroom!' 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

She should know all of this---and likely does, but if she is suffering from PPD or clinical depression or any other number of mental diseases---she isn't thinking clearly. 

About Joe and Kendra---Joe actually made me gasp. And I don't even like Joe. But when he came out to see Kendra, while complimenting her hair he actually reached out and touched the ends of it and put his hand right near her tatas. I commend him for his bravery---not just for doing it, but while knowing the TLC crew was standing by recording it. 

That was a typical couple thing to do. I think Joe & Kendra probably actually like each other as individuals, similarly to Jinger and Jeremy. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

That was a typical couple thing to do. I think Joe & Kendra probably actually like each other as individuals, similarly to Jinger and Jeremy. 

I know! But from a Duggar, it's just so weird---so weird. 

• Love 7
On 6/13/2017 at 8:17 PM, humbleopinion said:

Austin looks to be a hard worker, made his own money by flipping houses in addition to helping with the family biz so at least Joy won't be dependent on TLC money.

Getting away from her dopey parents and her chaotic family...working with the customers at the Family camp and her husband is better than being followed by TLC cameras.

100% chance that they drop everything and remain dependent on TLC appearances and money, and Austin is a token "house flipper" as the boys supposedly work at the roadside used car lot.  And I'm fairly certain they will not work at the family camp- making $ as tv stars and loafing around is so much more convenient- I can't imagine they will work at any job that actually requires sustained, daily labor- none of the others who have married into the family do.  

On 6/14/2017 at 9:15 AM, Kokapetl said:

Pastor Caldwell is a looker. 

Austin is an intense young man.

I loved the super dramatic closeup of some attendee.

25teyk7.jpg

LOL, I knew I could recognize those nostrils anywhere!  

On 6/14/2017 at 7:41 PM, skippy said:

After seeing the "men" her sisters have ended up with, Jana may truly prefer staying home and raising those littles....I know I would.

I wonder what will happen to her when the littles are finally grown and can take care of themselves- that would be a difficult crossroads in her life, when no one else needs care and she finds herself without a life on her own, education, or career to pursue.  Caretaker for her elderly parents, I suppose.  

On 6/14/2017 at 9:11 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Some women say they knew they wanted to be a mother one day when they were as young as 9 or 10.....

I always said this at a young age- because I didn't know I could do anything else, and I didn't believe myself capable of anything else.  I was never encouraged to be challenged or know that I could tackle hard things or anything outside the religious box I was raised in.  I went to college, and had no clue what to choose as a major, since I had never been steered into anything but motherhood.  I picked something at random that I had no interest in but didn't seem too hard.  It wasn't until my 40's that I found a career path and went back to college to become qualified to do something I am good at and passionate about!

On 6/15/2017 at 3:33 PM, Mollie said:

Here's the screen grab of uncoordinated, gangly Derick splayed out while attempting the obstacle course.  Austin and Ben laughed at him and Derick blamed his poor, unmanly performance on the fact that Ben was in front of him.  Sure, Derick, that sounds plausible.  Not.  

0 0 1 a Derick.png

OMG, my 6 yr old just went to a birthday party at one of these places and aced this thing!  

• Love 9
On 6/15/2017 at 4:39 PM, BitterApple said:

I'm getting flashbacks of Doughboy Smuggar and his plumber's crack on the trapeze.

One of the most horrifying moments on television!

9 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I think this tells us everything we need to know about Derick in the bedroom. *I'll walk myself to the Prayer Closet* ...

Yeah, and the interpretive dance told us a lot about his coordination, too....

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Abmis said:

I like Kendra more than I thought I would.  She was giggly, but at least she was having a good time and showed some personality.

I wonder if Joy signed the marriage license with an X.

Since the family motto was 'Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last', Joy should have been the one Duggar to master her name. Maybe she spells her name J.O.Y. or JFOSYL.

Kendra seems a bit more normal as a girlfriend than the Duggars, from the comments. I imagine that as the public loses interest and the Duggar parents clock out more, the kidults will have more freedom to date/court as they wish. By the time the Lost Girls are of age they could probably have a couple of children out of wedlock before anyone notices.

Thanks to everyone who watched and commented. I've learned that these things might seem interesting but are nearly always disappointing, so it's great to get the highlights in a humorous format. How they managed to stretch it out for a couple of hours is beyond me. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Since the family motto was 'Jesus first, Others second, Yourself last', Joy should have been the one Duggar to master her name. Maybe she spells her name J.O.Y. or JFOSYL.

Kendra seems a bit more normal as a girlfriend than the Duggars, from the comments. I imagine that as the public loses interest and the Duggar parents clock out more, the kidults will have more freedom to date/court as they wish. By the time the Lost Girls are of age they could probably have a couple of children out of wedlock before anyone notices.

Thanks to everyone who watched and commented. I've learned that these things might seem interesting but are nearly always disappointing, so it's great to get the highlights in a humorous format. How they managed to stretch it out for a couple of hours is beyond me. 

Yeah, that whole "reaching into his pocket for a mint" thing is so... normal, that I actually do have hope for Joe and Kendra.  Casual non-sexual comfortable touching!!

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Hay must be a "thing", I guess...My next-door-neighbor's son is getting married this September in their backyard. The whole thing is supposed to have a very "rustic" air, though the bride sounds as though she probably got the whole thing off pinterest, and is very particular about the details. They are renting a big tent, but seating will be on hay bales...the farmer across the street gave them a good deal on "renting" the hay that he will then turn around and sell...Sounds like a great deal for him, anyway! LOL. 

This is the type of wedding I would expect hay at.  I still can't believe Cindy & the others feel they need to bring nature indoors for a wedding (hay, the tree trunks at Jinge's wedding, etc.)  I was taught from little up that the church sanctuary is God's house & should be treated with dignity. Including not grabbing at the wedding party for a kiss on the recessional.  Could you imagine all this nature stuff including the confetti cannon being done at a wedding in a cathedral type church? I just can't imagine what the cleaning crew said having to clean up that mess.  I'm hoping they made Cindy head cleaner.

I'm old but what happened to the good old days of a couple of nice flower arrangements at the altar & maybe a flower decoration roping off the pews for the family?   I realize it's the Pinterest movement but people tend to forget they are decorating a church not the VFW hall.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I'm old but what happened to the good old days of a couple of nice flower arrangements at the altar & maybe a flower decoration roping off the pews for the family?   I realize it's the Pinterest movement but people tend to forget they are decorating a church not the VFW hall.

I said the exact same thing upthread. If you're going to have a church wedding, keep the decorations respectful. It's one thing to have flower arrangements and an aisle runner, it's quite another to be blasting confetti and hay all over the place. IMO, the theme-y decorations should be limited to the reception space.

• Love 10

Barb23 and BitterApple: I agree with you about keeping a church or sanctuary respectfully decorated with florals, tulle, etc. Also, keep it 'wedding like". Perhaps those "hanging noose' flowers and hay should have been for the reception hall; that would have added to the Forsyth/Duggar's theme a bit better. They just don't have good taste. Many southern weddings have taste and elegance...not these Duggar weddings. You could see the Vuolo's pushing their style a bit in JinJer's wedding and it showed. Why would someone serve popcorn at their reception? I just don't know.......

I also would think that permission would have to be given from the pastor of a church to desecrate the sanctuary with inappropriate decorations and events, like that confetti and the 'Hee Haw" barn theme. I understand that Jesus was born in a stable/manger, but please, folks, this IS supposed to be a wedding.

• Love 12
(edited)
12 hours ago, Obsidian said:

I think that's what they'd like us to believe, but I think away from the cameras it's probably more like: Jim Bob first, OfJimBob second, Yourself and your kind next and the heck with everyone else.

Edited by Abmis
clarity
  • Love 10

Finally finished the last episode.  I saw the feet.  I cannot unsee the feet.  I am a good 30 years older than she is and maybe its because I bathe but I never recall my feet looking as dirty as hers did.  And the inside of her shoes?  Oye vey!  That was Joy going on a date!  You know, where you typically want to look (and smell) your best.  Jessa never looks as dirty as that one does.  And Jill.  Jill needs a good scrubbing and I know this isn't the first time I have said this.  I felt a little embarrassed for Big D at the obstacle course.  Boy is just all kinds of awkward.  Jill also seems quite demanding as a wife.  Maybe its because I really don't like her.  She reminds me physically of someone I didn't get a long with so maybe that is part of it.  However, her personality or what is masquerading as a personality bugs me.  

I am gonna say it right now.  I kinda liked Ben this episode.  First his answer to the 'who takes longer to get ready' wasn't solely women.  He worded it in a way as not to automatically assume women but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was just that I liked it.  The second was when Jessa said Ben takes the longest because he irons everything.  I found that sweet.  His mom seems like she taught him some skills.  The Duggar boys are going to wear their future spouses out.  And not in a good way ;).

• Love 14
On 6/15/2017 at 1:39 PM, BitterApple said:

Now we know why Derick was a mascot rather than a participant on a team. He is seriously uncoordinated. I'm getting flashbacks of Doughboy Smuggar and his plumber's crack on the trapeze.

Derick is totally uncoordinated, but the worse bummer is that he has zero sense of humor about it. Ben would have laughed at himself a little in this situation, which is why I've got more hope for him in general.

• Love 13
On 6/12/2017 at 9:50 PM, Chicklet said:

Of course she is dim, she's a Duggar. Find me a smart one, I do hold out hope for Jennifer.

Who the hell is going to clean that church??

Church? I thought it was an auditorium!

On 6/12/2017 at 10:52 PM, Teresa said:

Yeah Jana is pushing 30 and that seems like a big no-no to still be single in their world. I was 37 when I got married and felt like the oldest first-time bride in the world! 

My cousin married a guy from a REALLY small town down south and when they went there for a little "local" reception (the real wedding/reception was in the northeast, where they met and live), a  lady asked my cousin how old she was, and she said 29. The women said, "Oh, so this is your second marriage?"  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

On 6/12/2017 at 11:51 PM, yogi2014L said:

Jessa and her leather comment was kind of adorable. LOL

They really can do the show with just Jinger/Babe and Jessa/Bin. I really only enjoy watching them. And they also can form full sentences without me actually seeing the wheels slowly turn in the head like Joy and Jill. Joy and Jill have to think really hard when they speak and it shows.

Also- anyone catch when someone asked the great prenatal expert Jill how far along she was and she goes... um...middle of the third trimester.

WTF??? I have known many a pregnant person and they almost ALWAYS go by weeks, MAYBE months if they are talking to non moms or men.. It was really odd. Especially since she apparently studied midwifery.

It was just weird, like she didnt have a clue how pregnant she was. 

Yeas, she just didn't want the haters --- and us -- to know her due date. LOL

• Love 2
(edited)

Friend of mine went to a small town wedding and sat next to a nice woman in her mid thirties with 3 grandkids under the age of 5.

Yep, she got married and had her first kid at 16, as did her daughter who at 21 years old has 3 kids under the age of 5 , no twins....

SMH

Edited by humbleopinion
59 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

My cousin married a guy from a REALLY small town down south and when they went there for a little "local" reception (the real wedding/reception was in the northeast, where they met and live), a  lady asked my cousin how old she was, and she said 29. The women said, "Oh, so this is your second marriage?"  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That's so funny, because out here in Vegas that question would be pretty accurate. I can name half a dozen women I knew or worked with who were on second marriages by 28. I used to work with a Mormon kid who married at 20, was divorced by 22 and engaged to one of our co-workers at 23. Grass certainly does NOT grow under anybody's feet out here, lol. 

• Love 1

The wedding episode was sad. Joy is 19. While her contemporaries are taking classes, working/interning, starting to contemplate a future career, and hanging out with groups of friends, Joy seemingly has no choice but to enter into a life of servitude chained to a young man (emphasis on young) whose fundie belief system demands that he be married before he can be laid. I took his flirting with Laura on his wedding day (which the production team could have edited out but didn't) as a sign that he's not yet ready to make a lifetime commitment. Boob and Michelle seemed all too anxious to get another daughter married off. Keeping the franchise going with weddings is the default "go to" these days, and poor Joy was next on the chopping block. The wedding was typical Duggar cheap-o. Their guests are apparently on to them and less willing these days to show up for a cupcake. There were lots of empty seats in that hall.  

As long as he can continue to turn down anyone interested in Jana, Boob has it made. By keeping her at home and under his thumb, he has a live in maid and surrogate mother to his younger children, and it isn't costing him an extra penny. Jana really does have the worst of all worlds as the oldest fundie family daughter. She can't get the hell out of Dodge without getting married, but, if Boob finally relented and gave the go ahead for her to marry some "Godly" young man, she'd just be stuck with more housework drudgery and parenting her own brood. No way out for poor Jana. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, BitterApple said:

That's so funny, because out here in Vegas that question would be pretty accurate. I can name half a dozen women I knew or worked with who were on second marriages by 28. I used to work with a Mormon kid who married at 20, was divorced by 22 and engaged to one of our co-workers at 23. Grass certainly does NOT grow under anybody's feet out here, lol. 

Hi, fellow Vegas peep.  This is probably off topic, but I know what you mean about the Mormons marrying young.  And popping babies out as fast as they can.  It certainly wouldn't wouldn't be my first choice.  

Since it's roughly the same temperature as the surface of the sun outside, it's a good day to cruise the forums.

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Christina87 said:

Jill's tirade was weird. Plus, they moved to danger America so quickly, and it doesn't seem like they have friends there. Did the people she bakes banana bread for get jealous? The only people she seems close to are the members of her buddy team, and if she's talking about CHILDREN in that bitchy way, I want to walk to arksansas and slap her!

this episode just highlighted how much I can't stand Jill. As someone who was single for the better part of two years before meeting my now-boyfriend, that attitude is beyond annoying. When you're coupled, you're expected to spend every second with your boyfriend, but when you're single, you must be content with spending every second alone? I hated when my friends wouldn't hang out with me once a week, or he'll, once a month because they'd miss their boyfriend or husband! I mean, you see them every other day. I still don't get it, because my boyfriend has to work late hours sometime, and he even had to miss my birthday party with friends. Did it suck? Yes, but I survived! I can guarantee you if my friend needs me, I can sacrifice a couple hours away from my beloved to be with them. 

Jill just seems like such a crappy friend, partner, and person all around. She insists on being the center of attention, but is so damn boring. I've always been of the theory that if you're going to be a bitch, at least be entertaining! Jessa has the personality to command attention, but when wet blanket Jill starts droning on, it's like nails on a chalkboard. She had firmly reaffirmed her place as my least favorite duggar!

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, jcbrown said:

I think something is wrong in Jill and Derrick's marriage. When the couples were pontificating about how to have a successful marriage, I noticed they harped a lot on having hard times and how to get through them. Jill had a TH about how challenging the first part of their marriage was, too. I think they're out of synch, not happy, and their crappy upbringing allows them to do nothing about it but pray.

Jill is a stage 5 clinger w/seemingly no independent thought.  If I were Derek, I would find her exhausting.  I didn't like that she went to Walmart every day to have lunch with him.  Once in a while could be a treat, but I'd get tired of that real quick.  She seemed even more clingy after the Joshly Madison thing.  I've always thought that much like she said she would put 'safeguards' around Izzy when he got older (because of course Izzy will molest  like Josh did) that now Derek gets tarred w/ the Josh had an affair so I'd better never let Derek have a second alone to have a stray thought.  I don't think she's capable of thinking any critical thoughts. 

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, 3 is enough said:

I wonder why Jessa and Jinger got nicer weddings, more expensive and stylish dresses, and much more extravagant honeymoons (Europe and Australia).  Is it just that Jill and Joy did not really care, or is there something else at play here?

I remember JimBob and Michelle saying that each girl (not sure what the boys get if anything) would get a set amount of money and it was up to the girl/couple to decide if they wanted to have a nicer wedding, honeymoon, or use for a house.  I think Jessa ended up using a lot of Jill's décor to save money for something else.  Joy's wedding looked pretty bare bones so I suspect they saved the money as well.  I wonder how much TLC pays for the honeymoons they film (none, some or all).

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

Jill is a stage 5 clinger w/seemingly no independent thought. If I were Derek, I would find her exhausting.

She drains me just watching.

• Love 7

I watched the wedding episode last night (free on TLC online). I watched it with special interested as our oldest daughter is the same age as Joy. ( Daughter will be starting her Sophomore college year in August. She works and has an internship lined up for her return to campus. She thrived her first year at college. New friends, experiences, intense learning, I so enjoyed the times she called us and shared so many exciting things. As it should be!)  Maybe I'd feel better if Joy REALLY wanted to get married out of her own accord. But I didn't see that at all. Sad. But I do think Austin is one of the guys that wants to completely take care of his wife. Hopefully he can but still recognizes her need to be taught autonomy and encourages her to be her own person too. - I really am encouraged with Kendra and Joe's relationship!  I like their ease with each other. Of course it's too bad they won't wait until she is older. And I think the proposal was lovely and I believe it was done with joy's love and blessing so that's nice. It's rare to see things like this between the Dugger siblings. 

also, where was Josie?  Someone at TLC has to read our comments is my thought.  

• Love 1

I don't understand Michelle's explanation about each daughter getting a set amount of money for their wedding. We all know that TLC pays for the wedding, dresses, etc., as they're filmed. Perhaps that money deal was the intent BEFORE TLC came a knockin' on their door and their children got free weddings. The money with them seems to never add up to me. I think Jill and Derick didn't want to honeymoon far away because Cathy was so ill at that time; so they opted to go to NC.

• Love 2

Finally got some alone time and was able to catch up on the episodes!

I was prepared to hate Austin given his upbringing and his family's reality show past, but I was surprised that he seemed fairly normal.  He actually seemed more mature than the brothers and Derek. 

Bin and Dreck grilling him on how he would support a wife and imparting their marital wisdom was just too "ironic" for words.  

Was he homeschooled?  And I assume no college?   Even flipping houses, supposedly on his own, he has accomplished more than bin, Derek, and the duggar brothers. 

• Love 10
23 hours ago, awaken said:

Finally got some alone time and was able to catch up on the episodes!

I was prepared to hate Austin given his upbringing and his family's reality show past, but I was surprised that he seemed fairly normal.  He actually seemed more mature than the brothers and Derek. 

Bin and Dreck grilling him on how he would support a wife and imparting their marital wisdom was just too "ironic" for words.  

Was he homeschooled?  And I assume no college?   Even flipping houses, supposedly on his own, he has accomplished more than bin, Derek, and the duggar brothers. 

I really liked Austin. I was pleasantly surprised. Not only is he a HELL of a lot better looking than Derick and Ben, like he actually has some sex appeal. Trust me, I already have my passport ready for the prayer closet handy. But, yeah. Anyways, he's good looking, he seems very mature for his age. Yeah, it was kind of immature the way Joy was acting about certain things during the wedding special, but I don't mind giving her the benefit of the doubt here. I have a feeling that behind the scenes they're very down to earth. I like the fact that they're not all over social media gushing about themselves, at least not yet. But yeah! I agree with this comment!!

On 6/30/2017 at 1:03 PM, Readalot said:

I watched the wedding episode last night (free on TLC online). I watched it with special interested as our oldest daughter is the same age as Joy. ( Daughter will be starting her Sophomore college year in August. She works and has an internship lined up for her return to campus. She thrived her first year at college. New friends, experiences, intense learning, I so enjoyed the times she called us and shared so many exciting things. As it should be!)  Maybe I'd feel better if Joy REALLY wanted to get married out of her own accord. But I didn't see that at all. Sad. But I do think Austin is one of the guys that wants to completely take care of his wife. Hopefully he can but still recognizes her need to be taught autonomy and encourages her to be her own person too. - I really am encouraged with Kendra and Joe's relationship!  I like their ease with each other. Of course it's too bad they won't wait until she is older. And I think the proposal was lovely and I believe it was done with joy's love and blessing so that's nice. It's rare to see things like this between the Dugger siblings. 

also, where was Josie?  Someone at TLC has to read our comments is my thought.  

That proposal between Joe and Kendra was really precious actually! I thought she was really honestly surprised. Its nice that Joy and Kendra are already so close and it seems like Joe and Austin are both pretty laid back and get along well so I can see all four of them really having a lot of fun together and I hope in the future we get to see them all go on some double dates and stuff. Much rather have a majority of the airtime be about those four than Ben and Derick. I feel like Jill and especially Jesse have become very big-headed because of the little fame *if thats what you wanna call it* . 

On 6/21/2017 at 10:05 AM, Hpmec said:

The wedding episode was sad. Joy is 19. While her contemporaries are taking classes, working/interning, starting to contemplate a future career, and hanging out with groups of friends, Joy seemingly has no choice but to enter into a life of servitude chained to a young man (emphasis on young) whose fundie belief system demands that he be married before he can be laid. I took his flirting with Laura on his wedding day (which the production team could have edited out but didn't) as a sign that he's not yet ready to make a lifetime commitment. Boob and Michelle seemed all too anxious to get another daughter married off. Keeping the franchise going with weddings is the default "go to" these days, and poor Joy was next on the chopping block. The wedding was typical Duggar cheap-o. Their guests are apparently on to them and less willing these days to show up for a cupcake. There were lots of empty seats in that hall.  

As long as he can continue to turn down anyone interested in Jana, Boob has it made. By keeping her at home and under his thumb, he has a live in maid and surrogate mother to his younger children, and it isn't costing him an extra penny. Jana really does have the worst of all worlds as the oldest fundie family daughter. She can't get the hell out of Dodge without getting married, but, if Boob finally relented and gave the go ahead for her to marry some "Godly" young man, she'd just be stuck with more housework drudgery and parenting her own brood. No way out for poor Jana. 

I AM SO HAPPY THAT SOMEONE ELSE MENTIONED THE FLIRTING WITH LAURA! OMFG. Am I the only one that saw more than once those two interacting and laughing and really having better chemistry? I wonder why they never got together! Lmao. 

• Love 3

I am very late, I know. But I saw the FEET! oh my gosh. There's carpet upstairs so I doubt they got that way in her room. Didn't she take a shower before her date?!?! I have concerns about their hygiene. Yikes!

Also, I had a chuckle about the shoe room. I was wondering why they didn't have their shoes in their rooms. Then I remembered being a young teen and my mom taking my shoes from me so I wouldn't run away. [I was mad about something.] Maybe all the shoes are locked up at night so no one can flee! hahaha. I think I'm joking.

Also, why the hell did Jessa start doing Joy's hair AFTER Austin arrived? that's just rude and inconsiderate.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, MissHavisham said:

I am very late, I know. But I saw the FEET! oh my gosh. There's carpet upstairs so I doubt they got that way in her room. Didn't she take a shower before her date?!?! I have concerns about their hygiene. Yikes!

Also, I had a chuckle about the shoe room. I was wondering why they didn't have their shoes in their rooms. Then I remembered being a young teen and my mom taking my shoes from me so I wouldn't run away. [I was mad about something.] Maybe all the shoes are locked up at night so no one can flee! hahaha. I think I'm joking.

Also, why the hell did Jessa start doing Joy's hair AFTER Austin arrived? that's just rude and inconsiderate.

Because in my opinion it makes better TeeVee. Austin was in on it. There are cameras all around. They all know what is going on. Scripted reality. It would be great if they just hung cameras around and then gave us thenstraiht feed without "takes" to get it right. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Because in my opinion it makes better TeeVee. Austin was in on it. There are cameras all around. They all know what is going on. Scripted reality. It would be great if they just hung cameras around and then gave us thenstraiht feed without "takes" to get it right. 

Really? Jessa doing Joy's hair is must-see tv? I can see the shoe drama--after all the Duggars do things "different."

That would be a lot more interesting, LookeyLoo. I think we'd have a lot of our questions answered, too.

• Love 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, MissHavisham said:

Really? Jessa doing Joy's hair is must-see tv? 

Let's face it, what we  are allowed to see of the Duggars is boring. Get married, have babies, & get your hair, nails, & toes done.  If a leghumper  gives them a gift card, they go out to dinner with their spouse & they consider it the most romantic meal of their life.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 8
On 6/20/2017 at 5:21 PM, humbleopinion said:

Friend of mine went to a small town wedding and sat next to a nice woman in her mid thirties with 3 grandkids under the age of 5.

Yep, she got married and had her first kid at 16, as did her daughter who at 21 years old has 3 kids under the age of 5 , no twins....

SMH

My grandparents are a few years younger than my husband's great grandparents, which means his family got in a whole generation over mine. His family always got, shall we say, an early start on kids, and my family had kids in their mid to late 30s.

13 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

My grandparents are a few years younger than my husband's great grandparents, which means his family got in a whole generation over mine. His family always got, shall we say, an early start on kids, and my family had kids in their mid to late 30s.

My mother's eldest sister was only 5 years younger than my dad's mother.  Mom is the youngest of 10 (not fundie--Lutheran) and she was 20 years younger than her oldest sister.  Mom is the last of her generation at 90.  And, strangely, there were only 5 grandchildren on this side of my family. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

My mother's eldest sister was only 5 years younger than my dad's mother.  Mom is the youngest of 10 (not fundie--Lutheran) and she was 20 years younger than her oldest sister.  Mom is the last of her generation at 90.  And, strangely, there were only 5 grandchildren on this side of my family. 

Yeah, I've a friend who's 10 years older than me, and it blows her mind that her father and my grandmother are the same age.  I have to remind her (every time, heh) that my grandmother was married as a teen in the old country (also Lutheran), and that I was a honeymoon baby to twentysomething parents.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2017 at 11:11 PM, Tdoc72 said:

Jill is a stage 5 clinger w/seemingly no independent thought.  If I were Derek, I would find her exhausting.  I didn't like that she went to Walmart every day to have lunch with him.  Once in a while could be a treat, but I'd get tired of that real quick. 

That reminded me of my favorite recent Modern Family scenes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVyiVvCDTtd/

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Portia said:

I don't quite get how people can be so bewildered over "mismatched" generations. There have always been teen moms,  and there have always been premenopausal moms.   

Maybe that is regional, because I don't see much of that nowadays where I live.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Portia said:

I don't quite get how people can be so bewildered over "mismatched" generations. There have always been teen moms,  and there have always been premenopausal moms.   

I agree with you @Portia-And never mind men remain capable for fertility until they die (although sperm production and quality decreases). How many people have siblings 20years their junior/senior because their father was an older parent. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, ariel said:

Maybe that is regional, because I don't see much of that nowadays where I live.

I think teen pregnancy is (happily)  down overall these days.  But I was simply emphasizing that women often enjoy 25 or more years of fertility.  And some of the examples being discussed upthread involve young women who became pregnant some time in the past, when young marriage was more common. 

My larger point is that there are many situations in which generations get "misaligned. " E. g.,  most of my first cousins are 25-30 years older than I,  so their kids were my playmates.  Here's another one: my oldest sister is exactly the same age as my sister-in-law,  but my sister had a baby the same year my SIL became a grandmother.  Those situations might be unusual,  but they're not outside the realm of possibility.  

Edited by Portia
Clarification
  • Love 7