Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Joy's Wedding/S05.E02: Triple Date Night

• Start Topic

Did anyone see Miracle Josie? She didn't get sent away like that Gosselin kid did she? 

You don't have to say it. Already on my way to the prayer closet...again.

3 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

It makes me stabby watching Jim Bob play the loving father role. The same father who allowed a predator to live with his kids and molest them. ITS SOOOOO GROSSSSSS!!! You are the worst father ever! Shut up!

That's exactly what got me. You're the best father ever. Except for letting my perv brother around...

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Yeah Jana is pushing 30 and that seems like a big no-no to still be single in their world. I was 37 when I got married and felt like the oldest first-time bride in the world! 

I noticed when Joy asked all the single girls to gather for the bouquet toss, with the exception of Kendra, the average age of the group looked to be about 12.  I was creeped out by it.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, ThinkerBell said:

I noticed when Joy asked all the single girls to gather for the bouquet toss, with the exception of Kendra, the average age of the group looked to be about 12.  I was creeped out by it.

Well, to be fair, it's been that way at most weddings I've been at, too.  Young girls are invited to the bouquet toss as well as young unmarried women.  Maybe it's a regional thing?  I mean, my little cousin caught my bouquet, and she was like 7 years old at the time.  It's all in fun- no one really expects them to be the next to get married.  (At least, not at my wedding.  Can't say for sure with The Duggars)>

• Love 6
(edited)

What 'best friend' of yours, Jill, is guilt-tripping you?

The music during a commercial for the next episode sounded like something from a sitcomy-romcom tv show.  What are we watching here, people???

Omg. "Are we?" That sounded like Izzy was asking 'are we pregnant?' lol

Edited by woodscommaelle

88 sticks of butter, 34 bricks of cream cheese and not a single hairnet, headband or scrunchie pulling back the waist length hair on the bakers....

Love that aggressive Bates piano playing.

I was impressed that Austin kept pressing Joy to use her words and tell him what she wanted. When he first mentioned the braid with suprise, it almost sounded like a braid was her initial bridal hair plan as opposed to her hair be done a particular way. He's winning me over....but she did sound like a 12 year old reading her vows aloud from a Sweet Valley High novel versus a women entering a lifelong commitment.

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Well, to be fair, it's been that way at most weddings I've been at, too.  Young girls are invited to the bouquet toss as well as young unmarried women.  Maybe it's a regional thing?  I mean, my little cousin caught my bouquet, and she was like 7 years old at the time.  It's all in fun- no one really expects them to be the next to get married.  (At least, not at my wedding.  Can't say for sure with The Duggars)>

I tend to think that at a Duggar wedding there are few singletons under the age of 25. Hopefully, Jana was wisely off to the side sampling lemonade cupcakes when the torch . . . I mean the bouquet, was being passed off to the next in line.

• Love 2
(edited)

Jessa and her leather comment was kind of adorable. LOL

They really can do the show with just Jinger/Babe and Jessa/Bin. I really only enjoy watching them. And they also can form full sentences without me actually seeing the wheels slowly turn in the head like Joy and Jill. Joy and Jill have to think really hard when they speak and it shows.

Also- anyone catch when someone asked the great prenatal expert Jill how far along she was and she goes... um...middle of the third trimester.

WTF??? I have known many a pregnant person and they almost ALWAYS go by weeks, MAYBE months if they are talking to non moms or men.. It was really odd. Especially since she apparently studied midwifery.

It was just weird, like she didnt have a clue how pregnant she was. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 15

The flowers were beautiful IMO.  We want to see a Duggar boy get married! 

Anyone taking bets on whether or not Joy is pregnant yet? 

Derek looks like hammered dog shit. A man bun doesn't help. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

Also- anyone catch when someone asked the great prenatal expert Jill how far along she was and she goes... um...middle of the third trimester.

WTF??? I have known many a pregnant person and they almost ALWAYS go by weeks, MAYBE months if they are talking to non moms or men.. It was really odd. Especially since she apparently studied midwifery.

To be fair, Jill got a lot of flack from announcing her exact due date last time and then going two weeks over.  As far as I'm aware, the Dullards haven't released the exact due date for this birth.  Jill probably knew that scene would air and wanted to blur the lines a bit.  Maybe.  That's what I'm telling myself.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

The flowers were beautiful IMO.  We want to see a Duggar boy get married! 

Anyone taking bets on whether or not Joy is pregnant yet? 

Derek looks like hammered dog shit. A man bun doesn't help. 

Can't tell you how much I don't need to see another Duggar wedding. Ever.

Extra bonus points for "hammered dog shit," though. Applause!

• Love 8
(edited)
56 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

Jessa and her leather comment was kind of adorable. LOL

They really can do the show with just Jinger/Babe and Jessa/Bin. I really only enjoy watching them. And they also can form full sentences without me actually seeing the wheels slowly turn in the head like Joy and Jill. Joy and Jill have to think really hard when they speak and it shows.

I think Jill's being cagey to avoid the flak she got for going so late last time and screwing it up so badly. 

I see @saylubee beat me to it. But I definitely think that's what she's up to by not giving an exact due date. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
(edited)

Ok... WTF was she wearing on her feet?  Brown gladiator sandals?  With a wedding dress? 

And can someone please tell me why MICHELLE was walking down the aisle with the groom?  Seriously? Could she not give the groom's mother a moment?

This was just sad.  

I must admit I loved the fact that there were multiple commercials for I Am Jazz talking about gender reassignment surgery.  I bet Jim Bob is pissed!

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Ok... WTF was she wearing on her feet?  Brown gladiator sandals?  With a wedding dress? 

And can someone please tell me why MICHELLE was walking down the aisle with the groom?  Seriously? Could she not give the groom's mother a moment?

This was just sad.  

I think we all know the answer to that *cough*famewhore*cough*

• Love 11

I'm going straight to hell for this, but in a sea of look-a-like Duggar boys, where I can never tell one from the other, the one cute twin stands out. He certainly got lucky. The others? Bad skin and receding hairlines. 

And while I enjoyed Joy barking orders to get this shit show on the road, so she can be legally emancipated from her whack job parents and built in babysitter duties, this was a step back to Jilly Muffin territory, as far as Duggar weddings go. That dress? No. It looked like what it was....several dresses sewn together.  Those sleeves were awful. 

• Love 9

I would say Jinger by far looked the best on her wedding day as far Duggar daughter brides go. She was simply stunning! Jana would be as well if she does decide to get married. 

• Love 19
(edited)

I actually think this wedding was worse than Jill's. Both were Pinterest disasters, but at least it seemed like the family put effort into Jill's as opposed to the way they just mailed it in for Joy. I felt like the preparations, ceremony and reception had no life or excitement to them. Everyone acted like they just wanted to get it over with so they could go home and change into their sweats. 

I wonder if Derelict and Bin felt like losers listening to Austin tell how he flipped and sold five houses while they're dependent on the Bank of Boob.

Poor Jill. When you make a pregnancy announcement and nobody cares...

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 21
58 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

But it was also really effing weird.

I haven't seen it yet to judge, but from what it sounds like, he's actually CHALLENGING Joy to think for herself. We've criticized her her for years for being a dim bulb, and if she's so much like Jill as they said tonight, that's scary. I don't think Austin wants a Stage 5 clinger; he seems to want someone who isn't hanging on his every word or decision before she makes a move. I think he's trying to tell her - without using the words - that it's okay to have some independent thoughts so they may at one point in the future, be true partners in their marriage. I'll opine more tomorrow after I've seen the wedding with my own eyeballs (watching my Dubs win the NBA Finals tonight, so otherwise pre-occupied).

• Love 7

It seemed Austin was steering Joy away from the cameras during the but-what-do-you-want veil scene. At least he knows enough to be embarrassed. 

I'm sorry to be so harsh but I've scene 6th grade proms that looked more pulled together than that wedding ceremony.

I hope Jinger gets out of the house often and doesn't spend "40 to 50 hours" doing domestic duties in that tiny apartment every week, while Jeremy is "working" in his home office. I feel like she's been instructed not to bother Jeremy while he's in there. I got a mail-ordered-bride/handmaiden vibe from them this time.

• Love 9

This wedding was creepy as all hell!  I just watched an arranged child bride wedding. Everything about it was so wrong. And watching Jennifer walked down isle with JD felt like they were showing their next line of child brides!..in a few years this little beauty can be yours, start your bidding now! (Disgusting).

• Love 17

The wedding participants seemed less than thrilled. I don't know, the whole thing seemed like a yearly gyno appt. You know you have to go, everyone in the office is nice. You say hello and get it over with. Yawn. The whole confetti thing all I could imagine was some kid getting a mouthful of it and choking. Maybe someone at the church did Cindy wrong and this was her payback. Lol

• Love 13
6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm thirty minutes in and I want to throw up. I feel like I'm watching a 12 year-old play the bride in a school play.

I was thinking the same thing - like they were playing dress up bride & groom. Did they not have a rehearsal?  Joy looked & acted clueless & baffled by the whole ceremony almost to the point of being disrespectful with her chit-chatting & asking questions. 

6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

This was just sad.  

I thought the same thing.  With all the Duggar sons, one of them couldn't walk MEchelle down the aisle?

I was shocked we didn't get to see the Duggar kids. They're usually around like ants. Does anyone know where they were sitting during the ceremony?  I think I saw Josie once & it wasn't for long. What was up with that? 

I didn't understand the confetti especially since the couple was already gone. Was it supposed to mean something? I thought Cindy referenced that Austin thought of Joy running thru flowering fields so was the confetti supposed to represent flowers? 

Thought I heard Boob boast this was the best Duggar wedding, that they were getting better with each one. I would have taken offense if I were Jill, Jessa, Jinge or the Smugs & heard this.  Maybe this was the cheapest one? 

Did anyone else think Joy's dress she wore on the date was frumpy looking? I thought it looked more like a maternity dress than something a 19 year old would wear.  Maybe she was thinking ahead. I'm betting she'll be pregnant before Jinge.

One more thing.  The guys commented how empty the trampoline place was. I felt like screaming at the TV that's because I'm sure it was shot in the middle of the day when most people are working. Ok, I give Austin a pass on the working thing. 

• Love 10
(edited)
9 hours ago, Chicklet said:

And that was a whole lotta eggs for those tacos seeing as only 2 people were eating.

I wasn't as distracted by the number of eggs as I was by her putting them and everything else on serving dishes to walk them less then 2 feet to the table.  That's nice for dinner sometimes but when it's just two for breakfast in a small apartment................. Can't decide; is she spoiling Jeremy because she wants to serve her man or is she so bored and housewify she needs the extra dish washing to fill her time or has she just never heard of serving out of the pan?

8 hours ago, Annb67 said:

Did anyone see Miracle Josie? She didn't get sent away like that Gosselin kid did she? 

Compared to last time Josie was glaringly absent from the bride room and the wedding; I couldn't spot her at all.

The wedding had good spots - Joy's dress was nice, basic but nice which is right for her.  Bridesmaid dresses weren't anything special (again, basic) but I did like the colors with the orange flowers. Even if I don't agree with the no kissing rule the teasing was a little cute (probably because the guy managed to tease without being lewd <cough> jimbob <cough>) and Joy even seemed to be having fun with it. Extra points that Derrick didn't jump up and grab Jill to walk her back up the aisle this time.

But on the other side - first, never, ever let JD lead anything musical ever again; we laughed through that whole thing.  He wasn't moving his arm in time with the words or the music or even the general beat he was just......moving his arm.....in the most random uncoordinated way possible.  Joy is scary in her "whatever you like I like" submissiveness.  The older people in the audience looked pissed at the confetti.  I'd go into the lack of food, music etc at the reception but we all know what Duggar receptions are like so expectations are pretty low on that anyway.

Now we get to rewind, watch them get engaged, pick out a dress and plan a wedding that we've already seen.  And they certainly weren't "buying used" on that little date night shopping trip - do they even pretend to be thrift shop savvy anymore?

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Love 11

Oh, my I don't know what to say about this awful wedding.  I don't know where to begin....Michelle wore those awful clodhopper shoes again, are they the ONLY ONES she owns? Jim Bob has gained weight; his gut was hanging over his belt, button up your suit coat man, you're walking your daughter down the aisle at her wedding. He looked sloppy. Joy's brown gladiator sandals under a wedding gown? At least she WORE shoes...(Jill, I'm looking at you); the music at the wedding...awful and not appropriate...what's with the sing along with John David?; it seems to me that the couple and their wedding party were ill prepared for this event. Why did they have hay all over the church and reception floor? Doesn't work with long dresses IMO. Michelle's squeaky voice, AGAIN; they avoided airing the wedding party walking out of the sanctuary, I think for an obvious reason; perhaps ALL OF THE HUSBANDS of the attendants acted like fools again and TLC didn't want the flack for it. Joy was a child bride in an awfully put together wedding dress. I don't understand why Kendra was SHOCKED at  being proposed to? 99.9% of courtships go that way, don't they? Perhaps it was where it occurred that surprised her?

Did anyone notice how Jana was completely disregarded by her sisters in that shopping segment? Jessa and Jill repeatedly said how it was that Jinger was missing and all of the sisters aren't together on this trip? What is Jana, chopped liver? I didn't like that at all.

Didn't need to see, once again, Derelict puking on the side of the road AGAIN....so get to the point and state what his condition is already...he looked awful IMO. The right side of his face is drooped since his surgery. I sincerely hope nothing happened to this guy. He obviously had a botched up procedure.

I hope Jeremy is happy with the fact that he married a little girl. He has a lot of parenting to do with Jinger to bring her up to speed.

Joy's lack of her own personal opinion on anything was disappointing. She, like Jinger, likes what their 'men' like...so, she'll wear dresses for Austin. Just too much to comment on here, but you get the point, guys. I'm enjoying all of your comments so very much. I'm sure I missed things that will be pointed out here on this very insightful place.

• Love 24
(edited)
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I actually think this wedding was worse than Jill's. Both were Pinterest disasters, but at least it seemed like the family put effort into Jill's as opposed to the way they just mailed it in for Joy. I felt like the preparations, ceremony and reception had no life or excitement to them. Everyone acted like they just wanted to get it over with so they could go home and change into their sweats. 

I wonder if Derelict and Bin felt like losers listening to Austin tell how he flipped and sold five houses while they're dependent on the Bank of Boob.

Poor Jill. When you make a pregnancy announcement and nobody cares...

Okay. Thank you to everyone here who's shared about it, because I couldn't watch this entire episode. I kept flipping channels. I was tired, and I loathe the sound of the female Duggarbot voices. Seriously, like nails on chalkboard. Plus, they had competition, people. The fabulous infamous insanity-packed Amy's Baking Company episode of Kitchen Nightmares was repeating on FYI, not to mention AMC was repeating its excellent six-part Hitler miniseries. The Duggar snorefest really couldn't hold a candle to those.

But anyway, Jill. I watched that awkward scene where Derelict and Muffy were breaking the news to their 18 month old toddler, that they were having a baby. Iz is a cute kid, but his parents are whack jobs. I'm not a parent and never studied early childhood development, but FFS I wasn't raised in a cave. And I am 100% convinced that I know more about an 18 month old kid's level of understanding than the Dullards seem to.

I assume that scene was created and staged for the show, if only because Jill looked like she'd recently bathed, combed her hair, and put on makeup, but it was so lame. And I got a bad bad vibe from Derick when Iz was playing with the baby doll  in the big toy car during the scene. Derick said, as if he was letting us in on something we didn't know, that Iz at that age doesn't have a long attention span. There was something about Derick's affect that chilled me, because it was like he disapproved of his son's short attention span and was just reciting something he'd been told but wasn't sure he agreed with. Maybe Derick views Iz's short attention span as some evidence of sin instead of a totally normal aspect of human development. Remember, this is the father who said his toddler's expression of love was "manipulative."

Further random comments:

1 hour ago, Annb67 said:

The wedding participants seemed less than thrilled. I don't know, the whole thing seemed like a yearly gyno appt. You know you have to go, everyone in the office is nice. You say hello and get it over with. Yawn. The whole confetti thing all I could imagine was some kid getting a mouthful of it and choking. Maybe someone at the church did Cindy wrong and this was her payback. Lol

^^I wish I could like that more than once. Every part of the episode I saw looked like it was phoned in - probably because every single scene I saw was full of people with such low energy. Those people are just robotically walking through life, chanting their religious dogma and modesty and babies and courtship and rules and babies. "I can't wait to marry my best friend" had all the inflection of "I'm going to the grocery store to pick up some bread and milk."

I have to wonder about the TLC edit of this one, and the kind of footage the editing monkeys had to work with. 

I caught the flashback of the young Duggars lined up in stairstep order and marching along, wearing their frumpwear, as a couple of the Duggar daughters were discussion how their righteous speshul modesty is still there but their style has changed. I laughed out loud when they were trooping into the dress shop, Jill wearing The Mustard Cardigan, and one of them in the VO uttered the phrase "the latest fashions." Irony isn't dead.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, Maya said:

Hopefully someone has a sane answer to this - why did Joy shout out  "Oh my cow"??

Maybe because saying "God" is forbidden somehow? Taking the Lord's name in vain or something? Beats me. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

& what the crap, Joy's feet were black and she put her shoes on without washing them!! These people are nasty!

Maybe she was waiting for Jesus to come wash them for her.  I'll see myself out. Off to the prayer closet for me. 

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

& what the crap, Joy's feet were black and she put her shoes on without washing them!! These people are nasty!

Oh, Lord. I'd forgotten that scene with big bins just dumped with piles of shoes, where Joy was rummaging around. She said they each used to have their own shoe bin but they don't anymore. So much for MEchelle's MOTY great household organization. Anyway, we saw Joy carrying her shoes (pair of flats) and they looked pretty well-worn and grungy on the inside. Not much point in getting her feet clean, only to slip them sockless into those shoes. I'm not doing a lot of pearl-clutching here; I figure those kids probably have good immunity, at least to each others' germs, since the TTH is certainly not an over-sanitized environment.

• Love 8
(edited)

I am not sure where to start.    I  forgot it was going to be on, so I caught it by accident when surfing and missed a few bits of it.  Hay?  they put hay in the church?!?!  Who is this wedding planner person other than a friend of Michelle?  Okay, maybe I am a bit harsh, because last year we put on a wedding for our daughter, and I have a deep appreciation for our wedding planner.  Maybe they didn't show it, but I would think she would ask both Joy and Austin about flowers.  Or maybe, Joy really doesn't care or maybe Joy really thinks only Austin can have an opinion.   Also every evening wedding I have ever attended has been a much more formal affair.  So this wedding has the groomsmen in suits and the bridesmaids in short dresses?   Speaking of the dresses, was it the lighting or were they in two different shades of blue.  Also I was surprised to find that this was not an autumn wedding--- the flowers and wedding attire practically shouted "fall wedding" to me.   I am pleased that the bride and groom did not smush the wedding  cake into each others face; I have always hated that.   I forgot what music they played for the bridesmaids, but the processional for the bride was an arrangement of the hymn tune "Diademata" for the hymn "Crown Him with Many Crowns" which is one of my favorites.  And I guess it is my Catholic background, but I am more used to a wedding including a Mass so these Duggar weddings seem a bit short and rather empty to me.  I had a short course in conducting, and I must have slept during the session on how to conduct for this particular hymn ( I was totally unfamiliar with it, but based on everyone seeming to know it there seemed no need for the conductor).  I hope Duggar weddings aren't setting the standards for other brides and grooms to run down the aisle;  it just makes it look like they are running away for a "quickie" before the reception.     Ok, I will go to prayer closet after that remark.   

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 8

Couldn't help but notice when the two couples took pictures after the proposal the contrast between Joy's face and Kendra's -- one seemed over the moon happy, the other looked more than unsure of herself. 

So glad other people are wondering about the unbelievable mess in that church.  My first thought was, wow, they're going to get hit with quite the cleaning fee.  Then I came to my senses and realized the cupcake team would need to be finished with their labors when the ceremony was done and they could move on into the sanctuary and tackle that mess.  

I thought those gladiator sandals looked bad enough with her pre-ceremony ensemble . . .

The ceremony made me sad.  It was apparent no one in the family put any thought or effort in planning (including the bride herself) right up to the point where the bride was being escorted down the aisle and dad forgot to button his jacket?!!  Mostly I was sad for the bride herself.  It's obvious she was simply playing the part she thought is expected of her.  

• Love 12
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I hope Jinger gets out of the house often and doesn't spend "40 to 50 hours" doing domestic duties in that tiny apartment every week, while Jeremy is "working" in his home office. I feel like she's been instructed not to bother Jeremy while he's in there.

Perhaps that is why she has been introduced to books. 

• Love 6

As has been mentioned before, when you are walking your daughter down the aisle, button up your damn suit jacket. If your gut is too big for that, then shell out some bucks for a new, TAILORED suit, man! 

Point two - (groomsmen included on this one). Do not wear brown shoes with light gray suits. Not a good look. 

Joy, maybe you could have opted for beige or white sandals if you did not want to wear shoes. (Even blinged out bride flip flops would have bee better...)

I also thought it was weird that the bridal party walked down the aisle to "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".  Weird selection.  Weird wedding.

I wish them the best, though!

• Love 11

Austin's best man is cute and funny...is he fundy? Doesn't seem like it since he actually has a personality.

Best Man Bobby!  Love the group picture where he is pretending to kiss Austin.  Like he is trying to liven things up, have fun, be outrageous.  Now go date Jana.  Hope he is reading all this.

• Love 19

The guests did not appreciate the confetti. I kinda got the vibe that Michelle was a little "eh" about it too.  She giggled and laughed but it seemed like she had that "I wouldn't have chosen this but if you're happy..."

The older guests? When the confetti came down, the looks on their faces!  They had the "wtf is this?"  My husband and I laughed so hard. 

The entire wedding was amusing.  Nothing really romantic or sweet.  Just a series of looney occurrences....

• Love 12
14 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

What is wrong with me. Why am I tearing up at watching Joy Duggar become Ofaustin?

OH.  SNAP!

I no longer have cable, so I'm not sure if or when I will be able to view this breath-taking, beautiful event (LOL).  Did Joshie make an appearance?  Did anyone notice a squishy man half-hidden behind a potted plant at any time?  And am I reading correctly...hay and confetti inside a church??!  No freaking way.

Does anyone know if this is streamable on Hulu, etc?  I kind of want to see this for myself.

• Love 3

The episode might end up on youtube. On the subject of Derick and his health, I often wonder if he did not follow the surgeon's advice on how to take care of his teeth and jaw after surgery. Yes, the surgeons may have made a mistake during the procedure, but if the patient is not willing to follow the advice after treatment and follow up on appointments afterwards, then Derick has no one to blame but himself. I also find it interesting he keeps getting sick. I know it took me three years to find out what was wrong with my digestive system after the one treatment I had, but I was smart enough to know something was wrong and kept pushing the medical team to listen to me when I knew something was not right after three years of feeling like crap. Of course, I cannot say being smart and Derick in the same sentence. Maybe the devil has taken over his mind and body, and his constant praying is not healing him fast enough.