Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E09: Week 9: Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

(edited)

The faux-shock by the judges and Erin is so eye-roll worthy. This show is really amazingly predictable if you've watched it long enough. It was obvious last week was setting up Simone's exit this week. This will come down to Rashad and Normani. If Emma drops the ball on the freestyle, Normani'll take it. The judges will score David low enough that he has no shot of winning since he's clearly the weakest link in the Final 3.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 17
(edited)

Normani's Viennese waltz did anything but remind me of old Vienna. And they should have ditched the black and white filter.

I think Rashad's rumba was pretty but I can't tell because someone decided to take camera tips from JJ Abrams and completely overdid the lens flares.

Do we spy DWTS alum in the audience behind the judges? Is that Mario Lopez? And Mark?

Slightly surprised by Simone but I figured after her perfect night it was inevitable. That's how this season is going.

I still don't care who wins but I guess I'm still pulling for Rashad. Maybe David, just to see the collective head explosion of Normani not winning. Mostly I'm looking forward to the party that next Tuesdays finale will become.

Edited by McManda
mobile spelling is hard
  • Love 13
Just now, ptuscadero said:

Gee, I bet David sure felt good after seeing and hearing all the judges and hosts expressing their "shock." 

I'm surprised nobody said, "I was sure it was going to be David!"

I'd guess even David expected it to be David.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Beyoncheyyy said:

The judges shocked faces from the news that Simone was voted off after literally setting her up to get voted off last week is the greatest thing I've witnessed in awhile. 

Like they didnt know..

• Love 3
Just now, Beyoncheyyy said:

The judges shocked faces from the news that Simone was voted off after literally setting her up to get voted off last week is the greatest thing I've witnessed in awhile. 

Especially Len, after all he's said. He had that whole "I'm about to cry" thing going on with his head in his hands. GMAB.

• Love 8

Those Cub fans are ruthless. At least Simone went home on a high note (aka the judges stopped riding her ass and finally just left the girl alone).

Rashad better take this but honestly at this point I would not be surprised if the worst dancer left by far is officially the last man standing.

I will say I have never seen Len look so sick and utterly flabbergasted like that before.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, McManda said:

Normani's Viennese waltz did anything but remind me of old Vienna. And they should have ditched the black and white filter.

I think Rashad's rumba was pretty but I can't tell because sometimes decided to take camera tips from JJ Abrams and completely overdid the lens flares.

Do we spy DWTS alum in the audience behind the judges? Is that Mario Lopez? And Mark?

Slightly surprised by Simone but I figured after her perfect night it was inevitable. That's how this season is going.

I still don't care who wins but I guess I'm still pulling for Rashad. Maybe David, just to see the collective head explosion of Normani not winning. Mostly I'm looking forward to the party that next Tuesdays finale will become.

love this post!

"Zoe Simone, we need you to be more authentic." Simone plasters the fake gymnastics smile on her face. "Yes! That's what we wanted! You were so authentic! Get it, gurl!"

The band. Oh, the band. What they did to What a Wonderful World was criminal. Ditto to the Bublé arrangement of You Make Me Feel So Young. That's just not right. Those are classic. Play with them, tweak them, but don't destroy them.

I wasn't surprised to see Simone go. I think that "Smiling doesn't win you gold medals" and subsequent gasp of horror from the judges pissed off the more conservative broadcast only viewers. Which is sad, because the brief flashes of sass was pretty much the only thing I liked about Simone. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Disappointed Simone won't be in the finals, but she seemed to take it well.

Normani was magnificent tonight.

Rashad is just a joy to watch.

David seems like a nice man, but his dancing just isn't interesting to me.

ETA: The band was extra terrible tonight.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 8
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Beyoncheyyy said:

Me, immediately after seeing the camera pan to the judges table: What the heck are you looking so faux-shocked-and-appalled for, Carrie-Ann? You literally spent all of your judging time last week telling her it is bad to be so perfect and that the emotions she chose to express or not express weren't valid.

Even my mom, who watches with me but doesn't always notice the manipulations, commented that Simone looked happier when she got eliminated than she had in awhile.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 11
(edited)
3 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

I was really hoping to be rid of Normani.  What a shame!

That was the shocking elimination I was looking/hoping for!! But she got an OTT shower and tongue bath tonight. 

Edited by F. M.
  • Love 7
(edited)

Yes!!! Simone is gone!!! I had a feeling before this season started that Simone wasn't going to win it. 

Last season was terrible but this season in light of what just happened tonight is looking good. :)

Edited by Hiacios
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

David seems like a nice man, but his dancing just isn't interesting to me.

That is my exact opinion about him as well. Personality wise he seems like a gem, but I find it pretty painful to watch him try and "dance".

Rashad, to me, has the whole package that I find most appealing for this sort of show. A guy who comes in having never touched anything dance related, surprisingly has rhythm and style and can be taught to actually move his body and can handle a partner. He kept improving every week, each dance showing growth, and he wasn't just a one trick pony (aka ripping off his shirt and letting Emma use him as a pole at all times).

I enjoy watching a journey and growth, so he is my star from this season by far and I would love to see him take it in the end.

Edited by AnswersWanted
  • Love 20

So much for the viewer backlash against the judges, at least in terms of the viewers who voted. Though I think you could see the effects of any apparent backlash in the judges' tongue bath of her tonight.

6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

It was obvious last week was setting up Simone's exit this week.

To me, it seemed like it could have gone either way. I was of two minds on it. Again with the judges' tongue bath and her perfect night, it did seem like it was possible they were setting her up for the shock boot, the same way it happened with Heather. But another part of me thought all the drama last week was just a set up for this to be Simone's comeback week. I think the same thing happened with Laurie. I remember some of her fans kept complaining that she wasn't getting perfect scores and the judges' were being too hard on her, and then boom, the next week I think they literally declared it Laurie's come back and she got perfect scores from that point on. I could see them setting that up with Simone and talking about how she peaked at the right moment.

I did have to kind of laugh at the judges' shocked reactions. It reminded me of their reaction when Brandy got booted ahead of Bristol Palin. David is not as bad as Bristol, but Simone was probably better than Brandy. But I thought the shock was overdone given that we already had the shock boots of Heather and Nancy this year. Plus, given the scores, they gave Simone last week this result shouldn't have been unforeseeable.

I will say that I'm kind of glad she was eliminated. I could see tonight definitely that my issues with her would never be resolved. Watching her last dance with Sasha, I felt like I was watching two strangers dancing. She's a lovely girl, but completely blah for me as a dancer.

I definitely think David will be lowballed next week like you wouldn't believe. 

• Love 2

I thought Simone may go which was unfortunate. Not sure why the judges acted so shocked. I do believe Len was mad since he seems to be critiquing harder than the other judges and I can see him wanting only the best in the finals. I didn't think Simone's jive showed any new emotions from her so them acting like it was some huge breakthrough was annoying (the jive was already a good dance for showcasing Simone's natural personality). Her rumba I did think provided a lot more emotion from her than normal and was maybe my favorite dance from her. Funny though how she said the last time she showed emotion she messed up on beam and took the bronze. Tonight she showed emotion and goes home (I know the votes were from last week, but still found it funny).

I really love Normani. Her Viennese waltz was really nice but that jazz was amazing! It looked like a high quality theater production. I could see Normani taking a stab at Broadway and I actually think she could do really well at it. I'm definitely voting for her tonight.

I love Rashad too. His rumba was my favorite of his two dances but I zoned out a little on the quickstep.

I wasn't too surprised to see David last another week. He has definitely improved but is far from the greatest technical dancer. To be honest I feel like his baseball fan base is probably huge though and could get him a win.

• Love 3

Semi-Finals! I think I've pretty much run out of steam for this season.  Anyways...

Normani:  just 12 bars of proper VW?  Of course she's having trouble in rehearsals - she really hasn't been doing full on standard dances all season.    Slow getting started as usual.  Has there been a dance yet where she hasn't done those high kicks?   Didn't really care for that.  Yes it was driven by the music but none of the elegance I love in a VW.  CAI hasn't seen her go wrong in a while?  Pimping!  Agree with the scores. Surprised no one claimed they didn't see any errors and pop up with a 10. 

David:  Lemons?  He sure does play along and have fun with whatever they serve up to him.  Enjoyed the dance but I think he was concentrating on tucking his butt so much that he looked a little stiff at first. But he did really well.  Was that the goodbye speech from Erin? Hope not. I think his score could have used one more 9.

Guest singer?  At this point I'd rather have some behind the scenes or more rehearsal video.

Simone:  I noticed on Instagram that she's now sporting a teeshirt with "smiling don't get you gold medals".  Maybe not a good move as many saw it as a snarky retort (yes some liked her "sticking up for herself").  I suspect whatever she does, she's a lock for a perfect score.  She was much more animated this time, though it is a fun and happy dance.  And a perfect score as predicted.

Rashad:  That was really nice. He was really working on being more flowy and fluid.  Usually in rumba, male stars mostly just stand in place but he was really moving.  Scores were ok. Could have used one more 10.

Nice to see Cheryl.  I'd go see her show if she came to town.

Second Dances:

Normani:  A thick dose of sympathy covered with OTT praise.  That's quite a package.  They saved it for when it would help her the most instead of in Most Memorable week (because of course they knew she'd be sticking around).  I feel like all her other dances have been a fusion of jazz and whatever was assigned. So this Jazz is not impactful for me.  Aww, they're not going to let Simone get the only perfect score tonight, now are they.  Nope. Oh well.

David:  Terrible song for a tango but he did pretty well.  His butt was back out again and a lift.  Agree with the scores.  But again, I'm getting the feeling from the judges' comments they they're saying goodbye.

Simone:  Argh! Back to feeling nothing.  I'm sure all the moves were near perfect.  It started with that first move with Sasha - I thought is she going to muscle through this?  I noticed they kept the camera off her face and kept their distance.  Scores were as expected.  They've now closed the 11 point gap in cumulative scores with Normani by 4 points.

Rashad:  Wow! That was great! Very light on his feet and I didn't see any errors.  Oh Len - that opener had him dancing solo until he joined Emma. I didn't count the seconds but it wasn't long.  That score was a point short.

Sad to see Simone go, but this wasn't unexpected.  But the judges in shock and horror! Ha! uh huh.

• Love 3

This show is so predictable that you don't even have to watch it to know what is going to happen.  I read about what happened last week and knew Simone was leaving this week.  Since Laurie just won no way was Simone going to win.  What is sad is I think she was offered the show first but had scheduling conflicts.  If she had appeared on the show first she would have won...but really, what is a mirror ball going to do for her career?   She really didn't need to go on the show right now. 

• Love 3

I was rooting for Rashad, Normani and Simone to win before this whole thing even began but now because of the absolutely unnecessary vitriol and hate that's been thrown her way, I cannot wait for Normani to take this. Rashad would be a worthy winner as well, but Normani absolutely deserves it.

David over Simone was a travesty but expected from this show and it's fans.

• Love 11

Thoughts on tonight:

Simone: it was pretty obvious last week with the criticism and scores that Simone was set up for a night of perfect scores and an exit. Which is exactly how it played out. Eyeroll. I'm not overly upset about it, mostly because I don't think she ever actually shined. Whether it was from her years as a gymnast or Sasha's coaching, she never really came out of her shell. Tonight was the closest to it, and of course it happened during her exit strategy. 

Normani: the music choices threw me off for both of her dances, but I think with her not very high for a semi final scores the stage may be set for a Rashad win. The only difference will be if this is actually Val's last season and they want him to go out as a back to back champion. 

Rashad: I still think he may break the internet by upsetting Normani in the final two. His dances tonight were decent, and he can definitely move. They weren't mind-blowing, but it basically helped wrap up the "meh" season this has been. Hopefully Emma will choreo a solid freestyle for him. 

David: I secretly hope he blows everyone's mind and creates the biggest upset in DWTS history by taking the mirror ball next week. Is the best dancer? Absolutely not. Should he win a dance competition? No. Do I want him to? Yes. He's such a gem, I can't help but root for him. Again this probably has to do with the "meh" season. Also it would be fun to watch all TPTB's manipulation over the season completely blow up in their faces. I'm sure the judges will low-ball him so badly next Monday he won't have a shot though. Lindsay has thrown together some incredible choreography through her pro years and I bet she'll bring her A-game for this freestyle. If nothing else, I give her so many props for getting David to this point. 

May we all say a prayer that the freestyles aren't as boring as they were last year. I cannot deal with another hour of sappy contemporary poor me dances this time around. 

Cheers to this trainwreck season almost being over with. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Beyoncheyyy said:

David: I secretly hope he blows everyone's mind and creates the biggest upset in DWTS history by taking the mirror ball next week. Is the best dancer? Absolutely not. Should he win a dance competition? No. Do I want him to? Yes. He's such a gem, I can't help but root for him. Again this probably has to do with the "meh" season. Also it would be fun to watch all TPTB's manipulation over the season completely blow up in their faces. I'm sure the judges will low-ball him so badly next Monday he won't have a shot though. Lindsay has thrown together some incredible choreography through her pro years and I bet she'll bring her A-game for this freestyle. If nothing else, I give her so many props for getting David to this point. 

Clappity clap clap.

• Love 18

I think I am getting oo old for this show. I found myself really enjoying David tonite and I think it's because the music actually matched the dance. Even though "You Make Me Feel So Young" was butchered by Ray Chew, I really felt some joy while watching him. Next season, I'd love to see one of the themes be "Traditional Music Night". Geez, I'm getting old and grumpy like Len.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, twilightzone said:

It will be a shock if Normani is eliminated next week and David slides into the Final 2 with Rashad.  This season has been all about shock boots.

I'd love it! Show the judges they dont get to choose! 

• Love 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, happyfeet said:

I think I am getting oo old for this show. I found myself really enjoying David tonite and I think it's because the music actually matched the dance. Even though "You Make Me Feel So Young" was butchered by Ray Chew, I really felt some joy while watching him. Next season, I'd love to see one of the themes be "Traditional Music Night". Geez, I'm getting old and grumpy like Len.

I had a similar thought when the special guest star that was singing was introduced (as you can see, I don't even know who the hell he was) when Tom was talking about how many times his song had been streamed. Not to sound hipster-ish, but damn. Screw your streaming, gimme vinyl. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, happyfeet said:

No, a lot of people feel this way. This show is very different, more like SYTCD than ballroom

• Love 2

Cheryl Burke's number was so darkly lit I couldn't see most of it, was that on purpose we think?  I live in Chicago, and love David, but I've been too lazy to vote for years now. I too like having the music match the dancing-I feel like I can judge it better that way. When the dances seem way different than the music I find it hard to figure out if they are doing it right. I don't have strong feelings for anyone this season but the last couple of episodes I thought Simone danced kind of stiff-probably not stiff in the way the judges usually grade people, but she just didn't seem like she was flowing into the dance. Like the final three and don't care who wins.

• Love 3
(edited)

Judges: Nitpick Simone all season. 

*Simone is eliminated*

Judges: "Did I do that?"[/Steve Urkel]

(I actually don't have a problem with Simone being eliminated,  but I have a problem with the judges acting so fake shocked when they helped  create the situation. )

A nice people final--and val.

Snerk. And true.

Edited by sab85
  • Love 11
(edited)

I'll watch the freestyle next week( one hour)  but I'm not sitting through 2 hours of the ones voted off, just for 2 minutes for the winner. I will record it, and hope its Rashad..:)

Edited by F. M.
  • Love 2

I was bored during parts of it..Normandi is not my favorite...the girl is a dancer...and to that end, she has the edge...but the endless pimping  that I can't help but root against her. I'm sure she's nice and all but the TPTB have to lay off the whole thing...that being said, I loved her jazz routine...

Tom really needed to dance on the judges table after that elimination...

I did not like Simone's Rumba....she was stiff whereas Rashad's just flowed...I know some are upset but the more Dave Ross is on my TV screen...the more delighted I am..He really has grown  a lot in the last few weeks....I really want him to take it all..but if it has to be a great dancer, let it be Rashad!

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

Cubs and Red Sox -- two of the strongest fan bases in all of baseball are behind David.  And I don't mind....he's been fun to watch, worked hard, and stayed humble.

Yankee fans, Cardinals fans, Dodgers fans.......I think David has all baseball fans behind him.

• Love 5

Tom's "Steve?" was the one true laugh of the evening.  

I missed it last week, but I had a feeling that Simone's "Clap back" (that's a term because...why now?) was going to do her in.  Some would see it as sticking up for herself.  (Older) voters would see it as not taking the feedback gracefully. 

Unless last season where I was ok with either person winning, I have no real horse in this one because I really don't care after Nick and Nancy got bounced out. I guess Rashad? Normani is alright but does nothing for me.  David is a nice guy but hasn't really improved. 

• Love 3

This season had so much promise of great dancing and ever since Heather's elimination, it's been gut punch after another.

I can't and also can believe David made the finale over Simone. They nitpicked her to the crap for weeks, all the while praising David for "getting through the dance" and they acted surprised when she's cut?

Normani better end this season well and win because she's the only one worthy of being considered a DWTS champ

• Love 3
(edited)

I want to see David win just because.  But both Normani and Rashad are deserving and I wouldn't be upset with a win by any of the three.  

Simone is an amazing gymnast and I love her there.  But her dancing never did a thing for me.  I'd watch her eyes and they were always cutting to the side, like she was looking for a clue as to what came next.  She never once seemed connected to Sasha in any way, and I couldn't care less that she was eliminated before the finale.

Edited by Marmiarmo
Spelling
  • Love 8

You have got to be fucking kidding me,,,,  I have  not watched any previous episodes this year just tonite.  I kept hearing positives about David but seeing him this evening was in my opinion just a few steps ahead of Master P.

Don't get the Simone hate but she deserved to be in the final over the Cub.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

You have got to be fucking kidding me,,,,  I have  not watched any previous episodes this year just tonite.  I kept hearing positives about David but seeing him this evening was in my opinion just a few steps ahead of Master P.

Don't get the Simone hate but she deserved to be in the final over the Cub.

She didnt get the votes. Its all about the votes, or so they keep saying. 

(edited)

Im going to agree with Julianne. David is what this show is all about, and Rashad also. I have enjoyed watching both of them this season.

Cheryl, go back to ballroom dances, whatever you did tonight was crap.

2 hours ago, campbellcat said:

A nice people final--and val.

LMAO,,I spit my milk.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 7