Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E09: Week 9: Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

I don't think the judges "nit-picked" Simone at all - they said her dancing needed more authenticity or feeling or vulnerability, and they were right.  I think she applied her gymnastics and Olympian mentality to the competition - work really hard and you'll achieve the goal/gold, but instead of giving her good advice about how to improve her performances beyond hard work (as we saw in the intro package), Sasha told her she was indeed good enough.  Whoops!

I saw Simone and Sasha this morning on GMA and she said something about the judges wanting her to be a continuation of Laurie. I think she was right about that. Going on this season right after Laurie won was a mistake. She should have taken at least another season before doing it because it was all still too fresh. 

2 hours ago, crossover said:

I'm different from you.  I believe she had dance lessons just like most girls her age.  She was probably just not gifted.

Taking dance lessons as a child is a lot different than being a professional dancer. Dancing on a college dance team is a lot different than being part of a singing group that performs choreography. I think the line of what is considered "has experience" is getting really blurred.

33 minutes ago, crossover said:

I could tell that you were thrilled.   When it's your favorite, you don't care about their experience.

I think you would know about that LOL

33 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

But I think that David is the perfect F3 candidate given the show's recent track record.  So they were never going to take out the knives on him.

Even if they wanted to take him out I suspect his votes wouldn't allow that.

10 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I don't think it's a knock against Sasha or Simone nor is it a judgment about their friendship off the dance floor but they are just two people who couldn't connect on that dance floor at all. It happens. Years of watching So You Think You Can Dance taught me two great dancers who are friends might still struggle to have chemistry while performing and that's what got these two more than anything for me. t didn't give her much to work with.

I so agree with this. Perfect example --- I think Maks and Peta have zero chemistry dancing together. Less than zero. But when I watched him dance with Anna a few years back I thought they were amazing together.....but there's clearly no love lost between the two of them. And don't even get me started on his dancing with Karina, though I hated them together. It was fire.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, puppy breath said:

DWTS needs to revise their scoring system so that the actual JUDGES have more of an impact on the results.  This show has become nothing more than a popularity contest. 

Oh, it would still be a popularity contest if the judges had more impact. The judges scores even now are more about who they like better than about actual dancing.

David is the person I most enjoy watching. But I love Rashad almost as much and like Normani a lot. I'm fine with any of them winning.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

Taking dance lessons as a child is a lot different than being a professional dancer. Dancing on a college dance team is a lot different than being part of a singing group that performs choreography. I think the line of what is considered "has experience" is getting really blurred.

I think you would know about that LOL

And ability makes a difference as well when it comes to sports.

I do know about how people slant reasoning to support their favorite.  If they like someone, experience doesn't matter.  If they don't, there's no worse sin than experience.  I enjoy Normani because she's an expressive dancer.  But I could care less if she wins. 

25 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I thought Rashad's "improved" arm movements were hilarious.  He got one move with his right arm and put it on rinse and repeat.  He must have done that one armed graceful arm movement 50 times.

I noticed that too! lol 

• Love 1

I have loved Val and I have hated Derek, but Val will never be Derek 2.0.  His choreo is just not inventive enough.  Even though Val is cute (from my pov MUCH cuter than Derek) and used to be attractively pensive (he's becoming loudmouthedly pensive like his frigging brother now), he's not the package that Derek is.

The bolded is so true. For the most part, Derek was always polite, the brothers seem to think they are special, and it rubs off on their partners. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I mostly want this season to end, not because it's boring, but it's been one of the uglier ones I can remember in terms of everything else.  It hasn't been very feel good.  

Also I don't really understand the point of berating people over why they like or don't like someone on this show.  It's not a true dancing competition.  It's never been, or they wouldn't have hacks who know nothing about ballroom, voting on the outcome.  It's always been about who is your favorite.  For some people their faves are the best dancer.  For some, it's those they like the best or the one they think is most improved.  For others it's always about their fave pro.  I don't think there is a wrong answer, short of blatantly racist or sexist ones.

That said, until this show gets some new pro blood or at least mixes up who gets the best dancers season to season, I will continue to be out.  I liked DWTS.  I don't enjoy the Chmerkovskiy show (or the Hough show but that is less relevant this season).

Edited by spanana
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, Archery said:

Wasn't there at some point a judges' ranking system, or was that just for finals?

I thought so, now I can't remember. Since people will vote that don't watch the show ( just follow on twitter) the whole voting system has changed. Jmho though..

47 minutes ago, spanana said:

Also I don't really understand the point of berating people over why they like or don't like someone on this show.  It's not a true dancing competition.  It's never been, or they wouldn't have hacks who know nothing about ballroom, voting on the outcome.  It's always been about who is your favorite.  For some people their faves are the best dancer.  For some, it's those they like the best or the one they think is most improved.  For others it's always about their fave pro.  I don't think there is a wrong answer, short of blatantly racist or sexist ones.

I agree with this. I don't have a problem with any certain person being on the show, or people voting for them. Part of the fun of this show is the audience participation, and that is what keeps it from becoming completely predictable. If Len picked the winners, the finals would have consisted of three of Normani, Heather, Nancy, or Simone, and three of them weren't the fans' choice.

I think what people probably resent (at least in my case) is when TPTB shoves people down our throats. We can like who we like without the producers telling us whom to like. They don't seem to get that.

• Love 5

I always look forward to the freestyles, but not as much this year. David - bless him - it isn't going to be great. I like Lindsay's choreo (and yes, I realize they all get help with it) but I don't think it's going to be mind blowing. I don't like Val's choreo and never have - I would have liked to see Normani with someone else this season and wonder how that would have been.  I would have loved to see the freestlyes that Heather and Simone would have done- but alas.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Well you know he's gonna work for ESPN, so they have to pimp their boy.

He's actually got a job working with the Cubs front office as a special assistant to baseball operations, so ESPN is not in his plans. 

As I've said about him before, he is not the best dancer. But people vote for their favorite, not the best, so here he is in the finals. It's what happens when the voting is left to the public. We won't always agree. 

• Love 3

Well that was a bunch of crap. Bright side, I won't have to suffer through the 2-day finale because I honestly could not care less who wins at this point. They really lost me after Nancy left but I still tuned in to watch Simone. I'm so sick of hearing how she's too "robotic." That's so subjective and just sounds like an excuse to say you don't like her for whatever reason. The judges have been looking for reasons to mark her down all season simply because they don't want another gymnast to win right after Laurie won last season. I hope Simone gets that. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, F. M. said:

Actually Nancy gave an interview about her dancing, or not dancing. Busy mum, three children, its difficult. I give her tons of props, and found her far more enjoyable than Simone/Normani combined.

Did Nancy say in this interview how she trained for the Colgate Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular 2017?

44 minutes ago, sara416 said:

He's actually got a job working with the Cubs front office as a special assistant to baseball operations, so ESPN is not in his plans. 

As I've said about him before, he is not the best dancer. But people vote for their favorite, not the best, so here he is in the finals. It's what happens when the voting is left to the public. We won't always agree. 

That's not such a bad thing, imagine if we all liked the same person, there would be no show. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Lindsey is the interesting one in that partnership - she has spent quite a time honing her "patriotism" and "sports" choreo and it serves her well.  I think many people would be icked out if David connected with Lindsey in a way that showed anything beyond "good wholesome fun" chemistry.  His posture is egregious and I thought it was funny that they put him in tails to cover his butt in that first dance.  I'm guessing he didn't master the tucking of the tush.

It really is a shame that David isn't even just a slightly better dancer because I think Lindsay could do so many good routines and easily win in that case considering his obviously sizable fanbase. I've said it before but I honestly think of all the pros working on the show now, Lindsay is the best choreographer. Her dances aren't always the best because sometimes her partners are duds, but she is one of the few who understands how to create those moments that work on-screen and are memorable. She has an eye for it and it really makes her partners stand out. I think she'll put together a very strong freestyle that suits David.

• Love 13
19 minutes ago, vibeology said:

It really is a shame that David isn't even just a slightly better dancer because I think Lindsay could do so many good routines and easily win in that case considering his obviously sizable fanbase. I've said it before but I honestly think of all the pros working on the show now, Lindsay is the best choreographer. Her dances aren't always the best because sometimes her partners are duds, but she is one of the few who understands how to create those moments that work on-screen and are memorable. She has an eye for it and it really makes her partners stand out. I think she'll put together a very strong freestyle that suits David.

I 100% agree on Lindsay.  I'd love for her to get the actual frontrunner in terms of dance experience to see what she does when she has a partner with skill.  Wanya had skill but we won't talk about that since I don't think his ousting had anything to do with Lindsay. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Tara Ariano said:

Is there a reason the recapper refers to Simone's parents as her grandparents in the article?  I know she was raised by her biological grandparents, but she refers to them as her parents and it seems unnecessary to keep pointing out.  They became her parents when they adopted her.

• Love 22
21 minutes ago, spanana said:

Is there a reason the recapper refers to Simone's parents as her grandparents in the article?  I know she was raised by her biological grandparents, but she refers to them as her parents and it seems unnecessary to keep pointing out.  They became her parents when they adopted her.

Yes to this. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I saw Simone and Sasha this morning on GMA and she said something about the judges wanting her to be a continuation of Laurie. 

What do you mean by continuation?  (Or what did she mean?)  To dance like Laurie?

Rashad pulled off one of the stronger male rumbas we've seen in years on this show. I do think having Bruno there to demonstrate was helpful because his movement was more fluid than in previous weeks.

I thought his arm movements all throughout were much more fluid than in previous weeks. I was really moved by how smooth Rashad was in that rumba. 

Originally, I wanted to see Rashad, Nancy, Normani and Heather make the final four. I thought they'd each bring something interesting to the table, and I was disappointed when Nancy and Heather were eliminated. 

I was pretty surprised by Simone's boot because after Heather and Nancy were kicked off, I guess I had assumed that meant Simone was a lock for the finals. I personally find her to be more technically awesome than emotionally awesome in her dances, but I still wanted to see her and Sasha do some kick-ass flips and gymnastics in their freeform finals dance, so I am disappointed that we won't get to see that. 

At this point, I'm rooting for either Rashad or Normani. David seems like a very nice man, and I give him more props for his efforts than the person in this thread who said he should only ever get threes (totally disagree with that! LOL), but I don't think he should win the whole thing. Personally, I think it would be fantastic if Rashad won. He's talented, handsome and charming, seems like a good guy, doesn't have any previous dance experience but seems to have some natural ability and great energy, and it would be terrific if Emma won the trophy. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Michichick said:

I'd guess even David expected it to be David.

Did anyone else catch David turning to Lindsay and saying (what looked like) "What the..." right after they announced that Simone was eliminated? 

This week I really didn't want anyone to go - I was hoping they would say all four were going to the finals. (They did have a final four as recently as last season!)

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Cheryl Burke's number was so darkly lit I couldn't see most of it, was that on purpose we think?  I live in Chicago, and love David, but I've been too lazy to vote for years now. I too like having the music match the dancing-I feel like I can judge it better that way. When the dances seem way different than the music I find it hard to figure out if they are doing it right. I don't have strong feelings for anyone this season but the last couple of episodes I thought Simone danced kind of stiff-probably not stiff in the way the judges usually grade people, but she just didn't seem like she was flowing into the dance. Like the final three and don't care who wins.

ITA....I was so excited to see that Cheryl was going to dance and the whole thing was so disappointing.  There was too many moving backgrounds that it was hard to see her and it was too dark for me too.

And regarding Simone, I was feeling the same way about her looking so stiff.  I am sure so many years of rigid gymnast training keeps her that way.  I am sure it is extremely hard to change based on her training.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

.......I'm confused by statements like this. If you want to see fantastic dances going head to head then why not watching ballroom dancing competitions rather than a reality show about taking people who don't know how to dance and teaching them?

PBS used to air ballroom competitions and for many years I watched them. I go way back when Juliette Prowse hosted the competitions (giving away my age here). It has been several years that PBS no longer airs the ballroom competitions. The only place on TV that has any sort of ballroom competition is DWTS (poor representation of the sport) and SYTYCD (also a poor representation of the sport). I have watched ballroom competitions on line but I much prefer to watch dancing on my big screen TV. Sad great competition is no longer available on my TV.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Well that was a bunch of crap. Bright side, I won't have to suffer through the 2-day finale because I honestly could not care less who wins at this point. They really lost me after Nancy left but I still tuned in to watch Simone. I'm so sick of hearing how she's too "robotic." That's so subjective and just sounds like an excuse to say you don't like her for whatever reason. The judges have been looking for reasons to mark her down all season simply because they don't want another gymnast to win right after Laurie won last season. I hope Simone gets that. 

So one can dislike her for any reason except for being robotic? You're right, it is subjective but that's how some people feel. Or at least how I do, though I wouldn't use the word robotic to describe her. Closed off, maybe. I do think maybe some of the comments from the judging table could have helped her more in Week 2 about how to get into character (minus the twee Zoe and Sophia stuff but hey, whatever works). One can dislike another person for whatever reason they want and it's totally valid.

I will say that there were times that I was jealous of Simone. Not because I think Sasha is cute. He sometimes reminds me of a pocket sized troll doll and he's short enough that I would feel like the Jolly Green Giant standing next to him. But damned if those little side of the head kisses he gives all of his partners don't make me melt. Adorable as hell. Still pocket sized, though. I have height insecurities. 

But still, I'd rather watch David do his goofy Dad dances because I see his personality and fun shining out of those versus another Simone dance where she grins and never meets her partner's eyes. Again, subjective but totally valid. 

• Love 6

At least two of the three finalists are dancers I enjoy.  Both David and Rashad are fun to watch and are, to me, what the show is about.  They are two athletes are had no previous dance training, yet have come on the show and learned how to dance.  And they are paired with two outstanding pros in Lindsay and Emma.  It is so nice to see these two ladies take their partners to the finals.

And then there is Val..... Ugh!  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, sara416 said:

He was interviewed a couple of weeks ago on ESPN and talked about his new job with them so it definitely is in his plans. Or at least it was until they made all the cuts last week. Now I don't know where he stands with them.

2 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

What do you mean by continuation?  (Or what did she mean?)  To dance like Laurie?

To dance like Laurie, to behave like Laurie, to emote like Laurie. To be another Laurie instead of being Simone.

9 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

He was interviewed a couple of weeks ago on ESPN and talked about his new job with them so it definitely is in his plans. Or at least it was until they made all the cuts last week. Now I don't know where he stands with them.

To dance like Laurie, to behave like Laurie, to emote like Laurie. To be another Laurie instead of being Simone.

I don't have screen shots, but I follow Simone on Instagram, Twitter etc. Shortly after the Olympics, and before Laurie was announced as being on the show, Simone and Sasha were tweeting about being partners on DWTS.  She mentioned that she had commitments that cycle but was psyched to do the next one.... and then Laurie went on and we all know how that went.... I think it wouldn't have mattered if she was emoting and sparkling with the organic prowess of a Mia Michaels routine, she wasn't winning this season.. 

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I see.  I don't agree, though.  They all come with their own personalities and styles.  I think Simone was surprised to be booted, and kind of defensive about it.  

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Venee said:

I think it wouldn't have mattered if she was emoting and sparkling with the organic prowess of a Mia Michaels routine, she wasn't winning this season.. 

On that we agree. I don't think she had a chance of winning by following Laurie so soon.

• Love 2

Just read that ABC has ordered a spinoff of DWTS called DWTS: Juniors. Underage celebrities and the kids of celebrities dancing with champion underage ballroom dancers. Excuse me while I skip it.

• Love 8

Thoughts on contestants for week 9 (in alphabetical order):

Normani & Val - think Normani has an uncanny ability to resurrect a specific time period/style, and that her blues-inspired jazz routine allowed one to get lost into the soulful, historic celebratory night.  Complete with a tapping spiral staircase, timeless vocal/band tunes and street surroundings decorated by excited New Orleans locals, thought all the rich genre elements fed off one another to create a magical number.  It was nice to see how the audience was a natural, cohesive extension of the performance, and how it didn't delineate itself from Normani and Val.  Perhaps it was her ability to confront and reconcile with her countless past traumas, but thought those difficulties gave her jazz performance an extra rare, sublime touch, that wasn't present in last week's jive trio number.  While carrying out the jazz routine, it was also nice to see all the various positive qualities emanating from her during the performance (judges). Think she is someone who will continue to learn, who has a lot of experience/knowledge (and for such a young age), and that its nice to see that the entertainment industry has someone special like her to be around with for years to come.

Rashad & Emma - the whispering hips at the top, Rashad's quiet, electric touch up Emma's arms, the soft cucarachas steps that developed afterwards - thought the opening was an expressive segue into their romantic rumba. It was nice to see Rashad's live arms moving with his body, the confident shapes he produced as he held a driving Emma across the floor, and the attentiveness/care with which he showed to her throughout. Thought there was a genuine sense of trust and subtle elegance that emerged even more from their early, emotive Viennese Waltz. Maybe his center could've been a bit lower, but thought that it didn't detract from the overall weightlessness of their dance. When seeing how comfortable Emma looked hitting fan position/stretching out, her convincing cradled wish to dance, and the gentle touch to draw a pondering chin back into hold, thought Emma felt and visualized the music well and that her imaginary vision came alive on the night. In line with their show stopping quickstep, its nice to see that they are peaking at the right moment, and how they carried out two quality, back-to-back routines to showcase their place in the final.

Congrats to the winners of season 24 DWTS 2017 and wishing them the very best moving forward. Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

55 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

On that we agree. I don't think she had a chance of winning by following Laurie so soon.

I agree as well.  Whether Simone is defensive or not is one thing (she probably is to some extent), but I don't think she's wholly wrong either.  What Simone unfortunately didn't realize, probably until it was too late, was that she was never going to have a real shot at winning one season after Laurie.  I'm willing to bet if Simone had done last season instead of Laurie, I'm not sure she would have won, but I think she would have been treated differently by TPTB and the judges.  Even if she had executed dances the exact same way she did this season.  At the very least, I think she would have gotten a way kinder edit.

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Didja notice there was not a single shot of David once it was announced he was safe?  No coinkydink.  In that moment, he became a villain for many.  Anything he did was going to be seen through an exceedingly dark prism by many.

David--a villain? No way in hell sayeth I. He was never the favorite of the "robot's" fans and they will not vote for him now is all.  No surprise. He will come in third, as he should (says this David and Rash voter), and one of the better dancers will win, as one always does.

14 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Untrained females on this show are never given a pass for mediocre dancing, regardless of their personality.

Down with women. Down with women. Down with women.

Edited by gimmeegimmeegim
10 hours ago, puppy breath said:

DWTS needs to revise their scoring system so that the actual JUDGES have more of an impact on the results.  This show has become nothing more than a popularity contest.  David is a charming man, but my dad can dance better than he does.  Normani is good, but nowhere near Heather (who should have won!) or Simone.   Rashad is beyond flat footed and, again, is there because of his popularity.

Later DTWS, you jumped the shark years ago, but this is ridiculous.

I think they should removed the judges and let the show become a popularity contest only!!! Yes!!!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, basiltherat said:

I'm glad David went though because, as a Cubs fan, he's the only one winning for us this year!  If Show wants to control who wins, they never should have given weight to "America's" vote.  Remember, "America" voted for BOTH Trump AND Obama!

I'm movin' to Denmark!

9 hours ago, sinycalone said:

David is probably not getting a job with ESPN....

After DWTS, David would be a huge "get" for that network! And one that they've already "got!"

(edited)
8 hours ago, sara416 said:

ESPN announced he would be working for it on Jan. 30. He will also work for the Cubs.

Edited by campbellcat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Beyoncheyyy said:

Just read that ABC has ordered a spinoff of DWTS called DWTS: Juniors. Underage celebrities and the kids of celebrities dancing with champion underage ballroom dancers. Excuse me while I skip it.

A hot mess waiting to happen.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Beyoncheyyy said:

I wish I could describe the horrified face I made when reading that but there aren't descriptive enough words in the English language.

• Love 12

I was so glad to see Simone gone. I never really got "dance" when watching her, just more a series of tricks between tumbling. I'd have rather she waited a few years, not because of Laurie but in terms of life experience. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm so sick of hearing how she's too "robotic." That's so subjective and just sounds like an excuse to say you don't like her for whatever reason.

6 hours ago, Callaphera said:

So one can dislike her for any reason except for being robotic? You're right, it is subjective but that's how some people feel. Or at least how I do, though I wouldn't use the word robotic to describe her. Closed off, maybe. I do think maybe some of the comments from the judging table could have helped her more in Week 2 about how to get into character (minus the twee Zoe and Sophia stuff but hey, whatever works). One can dislike another person for whatever reason they want and it's totally valid.

Thank you! I actually would, and have, used the word robotic to describe her dancing. I, and plenty of other people who have had the same issues with Simone, have described exactly why we felt that way about her. She and Sasha had little chemistry (subjective I know) and didn't have a great connection on the dance floor. She always seemed like she was going through the motions and just following the script of the dance, instead of actually putting any true emotion into it. No one needs to come up with an excuse to dislike any of these dancers. Just because you don't agree with people's assessment doesn't mean that others were just looking for an excuse.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, campbellcat said:

ESPN announced he would be working for it on Jan. 30. He will also work for the Cubs.

He makes his debut as an analyst on ESPN tomorrow night for the Red Sox-Cardinals game. 

1 hour ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Thank you! I actually would, and have, used the word robotic to describe her dancing. I, and plenty of other people who have had the same issues with Simone, have described exactly why we felt that way about her. She and Sasha had little chemistry (subjective I know) and didn't have a great connection on the dance floor. She always seemed like she was going through the motions and just following the script of the dance, instead of actually putting any true emotion into it. No one needs to come up with an excuse to dislike any of these dancers. Just because you don't agree with people's assessment doesn't mean that others were just looking for an excuse.

I agree.  I think Sasha is partly to blame.  Simone is not the first young or immature or shy contestant on the show, and I think it's the job of the pro to teach the student how to work on these things, and we never saw that with Sasha.  It's possible he tried and Simone was resistant, or maybe not.  I was struck by Simone crying in the package and saying she was trying her hardest, but maybe her best wasn't good enough.  That was the perfect time to address the shyness or connectivity issue, but instead he told her she was indeed good enough.  Coming from the gymnastics world, she didn't seem to know that in dance competitions, other elements are taken into consideration.

• Love 1

Well I have this going on again in the background and Simone's rumba is on.  For the first time I feel like I'm seeing resignation from Sasha...he's looking past her and she's not making eye contact with him.  She's spinning and spotting, he's leading etc.   At the end is the obligatory positivity kiss and off they go to the scores.  I guess it's just trying to coax something out of someone who hasn't experience any male/female/sex emotions to coax it out of their body. She's had one date.  I shouldn't be surprised at what I'm seeing.

It would creepy for Sasha to be any more forceful than he is in trying to explain it over these weeks, just as many of us are trying to articulate why her dancing seems void of emotion for many of us.  I don't blame her...she is who she is and she is great.  For this show, she needed to be here a few years from now.  The mere fact she thinks anyone wanted her to be Laurie shows how clueless she is.  Sasha for his part did as well as he could IMO.  Simone isn't an actor either so I can't expect her to be trained in any more fakery than her floor routine smiling.  Sasha in the end looked like he didn't want her to feel uncomfortable and reciprocated whatevr emotion she could muster for him.  

I applaud Sasha for protecting her in the end...while we cried "EMOTE dammit!!!" He knew she was giving it all she could understand.  And he looks crushed when they are eliminated.  Maybe the reason she is the best gymnast in the world is that she doesn't let her emotions creep into any performance?

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I saw Simone and Sasha this morning on GMA and she said something about the judges wanting her to be a continuation of Laurie. I think she was right about that. Going on this season right after Laurie won was a mistake. She should have taken at least another season before doing it because it was all still too fresh. 

That's sad to hear. It means that she just didn't understand what the problem was and CAI failed to get her to understand.  She just didn't grasp the concept (or rejected the concept) of connecting with Sasha and the audience and those connections are part of the performance.  Just perfecting the steps isn't enough.  Someone commented above that she's always been judged only on technical skill.  I think having to sell the performance with personality was foreign to her or a concept she rejected.  I do agree though that following Laurie into this season was a mistake.  She should have waited at least one or a few seasons.

• Love 3