Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E06: Double U-Turn Ahead

• Start Topic

I don't think it was bullying for the teams to plan to use the double U-turn to try to get Vanck and Ashton out. Preferring some people over others is not bullying, otherwise anyone who ever had a best friend or differentiated between friends and work colleagues/classmates would qualify. Other than baseline civility (which we have no reason to believe the teams weren't giving to Vanck and Ashton—everyone seemed fine when they were eating on the ferry), teams don't owe each other anything. For instance, I thought it was perfectly fair for Scott and Floyd to compare their answers from the tram roadblock, but not to let Vanck in on the conversation when he tried to join. I'm sure that if Vanck or Ashton had felt like the other teams were ostracizing or behaving in a hostile way towards them, we would have been shown both the behavior and the confessionals about it. There is no doubt in my mind that the teams were all asked leading questions about Vanck and Ashton and the possibility of U-turning them and that they aired the most inflammatory comments they could.

People have always used the Yield/U-turn for petty reasons, as well as strategic ones. U-turning a weak team can be strategic: if you know a team is lagging behind the pack, the U-turn can be the knock-out punch that puts them so far behind that they can't recover, which leaves your team free to get lost or to have a hard time completing a task without risking getting eliminated. I think Vanck and Ashton were a middle-of-the-road team as far as performance goes, but there's no reason they couldn't have picked things up, especially if they encountered a leg with tasks that was particularly suited to one of them. Plus, as others have pointed out, agreeing to U-turn one team—no matter who it is—and then to waste the second U-turn in a deliberate manner means that the heat is off your team for a leg, and anyone who said, "I'm not on board with this plan to U-turn Vanck and Ashton," when it was floated would have immediately made their team a potential target.

2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

The practice of blowing the second half of a W-Turn requires collusion, and I can't think of any way to regulate against it.

If it's not a blind U-turn, then any team who comes along before the first U-turned team can decide to waste the second U-turn on the first team to use the U-turn. It doesn't necessarily require coordination between teams to pull it off. If the producers wanted to regulate against it, they could have each team take their photo as they leave the U-turn mat (or move it to some sort of out of contention for U-turning pile), which would ensure that teams could only U-turn a team behind them. Given that turning a double U-turn into a single one is becoming a little like vote-splitting in Survivor—a revolutionary idea when it first occurs to someone that has become a standard and predictable tactic in the game as the seasons wear on—I wouldn't mind if the producers introduced this adjustment.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, blackwing said:

I know I was supposed to find Tara's exuberance about being in Italy (where she met her husband did ya know) endearing but it grated on me after a while.  Yes, she apparently can speak Italian.  But to me her speaking Italian wasn't just functional so she could get directions or what not.  It seemed to me that she was showing off in a "I may be American but I speaka your language" kind of way for the locals, her partner and the cameras.  I found it particularly annoying when she got served the eggplant parmesan and she immediately does her best Italian accent and says "ohhh... melazane!!!"

I actually liked Tara speaking Italian not just for functional reasons but because she knows Italian and obviously enjoys the language.

• Love 16

Tell me these people didn't originally sign up to play Survivor.

Some of them probably did. In any event, few if any probably applied specifically to be on Amazing Race. They are clearly all out of Reality Show central casting. There's a whole industry devoted to recruiting, auditioning and supplying "types" to reality shows across the board. 

People keep posting/asking "Why did Brooke sign up for this show?" Obviously, she did not. She may have auditioned for The Bachelor or something like that, her audition tape went into a bin labeled "whiny, high-strung types" and when Amazing Race sent out the casting call to the "talent" agencies they supplied a list of "types" they were looking for, and the agencies supplied them with their candidates. That's how it works in reality TV.

Well, said team was denied a chance to win a life-changing amount of money and continue on a once-in-a-lifetime trip around the world, not because of their own skill level, but because a group of people got together and decided they weren't cool enough.  It may not have been bullying, but it wasn't fun to watch either.

Agreed. Another sign that few if any of these people are familiar with the game. Someone said "well, there are certain people you just don't want to have dinner with" and someone else (Michael, I think) said "Like Vanck." Jeebus! I get that the poor kid is socially awkward but this isn't Big Brother. Targeting Vanck and Ashton simply because you don't like them is a strategic blunder. They should be targeting physically strong teams like Matt and Redmond or Becca and Floyd. You want to go to the end with a weak team you can beat. Again, they don't seem to know how this show works.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Tryangle said:

Netfoot are you of, or live in, a Caribbean country? Love this phrase!

I am a Trinibarlucian!   :-)   Born in Trinidad, live in Barbados.  And spent a little time in St. Lucia as a young lad.

So, the fact that you recognise the term, what does that say about you?

• Love 4

Note - I loaded the off TV amazing race clips in the media thread, they do give a lot of insight to why people participated in the u turn.

I don't agree with all of them  but what ever. 

why not go after Brooke? she flirts with the guys, is not bad looking and compliments others (often falsely) a lot.  I worked with someone like her, every time I gave them an assignment, she would come back to me and tell me she could not do it, she hated working fora women because she could not flirt with me, in fact in this company it was small and there were no attractive guys to flirt with at all.  Eventually I encouraged her to quit after forcing her to work hard, which really drained me because I could not do my work, I literally stood behind her as she worked and told her I would give her a reference  if she wanted to go to another job.  One day she was flirting on the phone, it was really drippy flirty, found out that was her father, it was counter to the day she was  talking very nastily on the phone, turns out that was her mother, daddy's little girls, I just hate them, but this explained a lot.  Brooke reminds me of that girl. She is buying time.  The question to me is why the heck did they do mountain climbing??? she could have modeled the ghost. Tara was pretty sure what it would be. It makes no sense and they would not have lost more time.

one last time - Flo had dysentery wanted to quit the race, Zach begged her to stay. All she wanted to do was sleep and drink water and be near a bathroom. People liked her in the beginning of the race, but at the end she was different, because... she was seriously ill. I think by the last leg she was better and back to acting better. Unlike Brook who has been whiney the whole time. But she could be ill, don't know. She seems happy enough hanging out with people, so probably not.

Edited by holly4755
more info
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

In any event, few if any probably applied specifically to be on Amazing Race. They are clearly all out of Reality Show central casting. There's a whole industry devoted to recruiting, auditioning and supplying "types" to reality shows across the board. 

People keep posting/asking "Why did Brooke sign up for this show?" Obviously, she did not. She may have auditioned for The Bachelor or something like that, her audition tape went into a bin labeled "whiny, high-strung types" and when Amazing Race sent out the casting call to the "talent" agencies they supplied a list of "types" they were looking for, and the agencies supplied them with their candidates. That's how it works in reality TV.

Becca and Floyd specifically applied to be on TAR - it's mentioned in one of their you tube videos.  I know I've seen mention of at least a few others in this cast who also applied, but just with different partners.  I agree what you say about the reality casting industry and recruiting, but I think you paint with too broad of a brush.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Hera said:

The practice of blowing the second half of a W-Turn requires collusion, and I can't think of any way to regulate against it.

If it's not a blind U-turn, then any team who comes along before the first U-turned team can decide to waste the second U-turn on the first team to use the U-turn. It doesn't necessarily require coordination between teams to pull it off.

True, but I think it's unlikely that a team will arrive at the W-Turn and independently decide to blow the second half of the W-Turn.  Far more likely this will happen if there is a prior agreement to 'target' the unfortunate team.

If the producers wanted to regulate against it, they could have each team take their photo as they leave the U-turn mat (or move it to some sort of out of contention for U-turning pile), which would ensure that teams could only U-turn a team behind them. Given that turning a double U-turn into a single one is becoming a little like vote-splitting in Survivor—a revolutionary idea when it first occurs to someone that has become a standard and predictable tactic in the game as the seasons wear on—I wouldn't mind if the producers introduced this adjustment.

That would work, but unfortunately it would eliminate the (now rare) instances where someone attempts to use the U-Turn independently, and has to guess who is behind them and who is not.  But the new practice of placing the U/W-Turn board before the Detour also spoils this.  If you have just completed your Detour option and approach the U/W-Tour board, you can't be sure that another team didn't choose the other option and completed it quickly.  But with the U/W-Tour board located before the Detour, it's far easier to guess who is behind you and who is in front.  

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I am a Trinibarlucian!   :-)   Born in Trinidad, live in Barbados.  And spent a little time in St. Lucia as a young lad.

So, the fact that you recognise the term, what does that say about you?

Both my parents are Barbadian and I spent my college days at UWI at Cave Hill. Good stuff.

One other thing I forgot to bring up is that I wonder if a message went out to the boat pilots carrying Team Fun and Team Bros/Dudes/Whatever that they should let Becca and Floyd get this leg since the FF was bungled in Norway...

To hell with "social game."

That was actually a fun leg, taking advantage of the locations well, and would have been more enjoyable with conventional teams, a few tweaks and without the "social" drama that made it dead-team walking once the U-Turns were settled. Have two teams competing on both sides of the Detour on such different tasks? That's a much more compelling finish than a footrace for the leg win. And having the U-Turn placement before the Detour clue box instead of at a post-Detour route marker again just feeds into Survivor Rules.

Night-time tasks in cities are always good value, and Milan provided that. The climbing side of the Detour seemed less challenging and more Road Block-y than I expected -- I thought they might set it up so each team member had to do the climb and get half a clue, but perhaps that was thrown off by seeing good climbers at work, and perhaps the belay stuff would have been difficult with the size disparity within teams.

In some ways, it felt like an old "transitional" European leg, like ones we've seen in past seasons (often in and around Amsterdam), where the aim is to get teams between one spectacular location and position them for the next leg. Except Lake Como's pretty spectacular in its own right.

Anyway, we're going to end up with teams "social game-ing" their strongest competition into the final legs and then acting surprised when they themselves get eliminated.

(The fact that Vanck and Ashton got to complete the Detour and be eliminated at the Pit Stop confirms in my mind that Sara & Shamir's "minor Guido" elimination in Tanzania was accelerated by production schedules.)

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, chaifan said:
33 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Becca and Floyd specifically applied to be on TAR - it's mentioned in one of their you tube videos.  I know I've seen mention of at least a few others in this cast who also applied, but just with different partners.  I agree what you say about the reality casting industry and recruiting, but I think you paint with too broad of a brush.

Plus, it's not like being part of the pool of reality TV applicants means you are obligated to appear any show you're invited to be on. I'm sure Brooke had the opportunity to turn The Amazing Race down, and I'm also sure she had the opportunity to watch a season or two before she left in order to get an idea of what she would be in for. I have a lot of sympathy for unathletic people on the race, but she seems so miserable doing every task that it's hard not to feel like she's a waste of a casting spot. But at least for once Scott didn't have to be the one to climb something.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, chaifan said:

From their interviews and bios, I know Joey and Tara applied for TAR...definitely not recruited.  Tara had applied with her husband...and they chose her for this "special" race for strangers.  Both Joey and Tara talked about the long vetting process.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Wonder how long it took the producers to find a second Detour task that would take about the same amount of time as the rock climbing.

They're still looking.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

(I too, liked Flo.  In fact, the only thing about her I didn't like was that she spent time snogging with a member of another team.  Can't remember who. Anybody know?  I know that she and Zach weren't romantically involved, but still, for team solidarity if nothing else, she could have spent less time snuggling up with the competition!)

It was one of the twins, either Derek or Drew. I think Drew? I think they were together for a couple years or so after the Race.

57 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

one last time - Flo had dysentery wanted to quit the race, Zach begged her to stay. 

Yes, we are aware of the dysentery. I think most of us just find it interesting that the dysentery made her act like a whiny, screechy diva towards her partner but somehow didn't prevent her from flirting and joking around with the other teams.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

If I was U-Turning this leg it would be either Redmond & Matt, Michael & Liz, or Liz & Joey. You would rather take out a team that can beat you in the end not take with you to the final leg. I would race Scott & Brooke and Vanck & Ashton in the final leg cause I would have a feeling that I could beat them.

Exactly. It was a stupid choice. As much as I hate "the boys", I hope they beat all these idiots just to prove what a dumb move it was. And I hope they do it by cutting in lines and lying out their asses. 

Anyone who would actually align themselves with Matt and Redmond prove themselves to be assholes, so I wonder what "hindering their ability to enjoy the race" would mean for such people? Hindering the ability to line cut or enter into stupid alliances that they break without being called on it? 

As for Flo, I didn't know that she was ill, and it does make a lot of difference. Most of her interaction with Zach were during strong physical exertion, which are going to be more difficult for someone with dysentery than the time spent with other teams, which usually happens when resting. I guess folks could always give it a try, and see how they would feel with dysentery under such circumstances. As for me, I am just going to give her a break from now on. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 2

I'm sort of warming up to Scott. He has the patience of a saint dealing with Brooke, I would have lost it long ago. I don't know how he managed to stay so calm and supportive through that Detour. Also I kind of got a kick out of him motioning towards the hottie on the streetcar and complimenting the "eye candy." I wonder if that guy saw the show.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm sort of warming up to Scott. He has the patience of a saint dealing with Brooke, I would have lost it long ago. I don't know how he managed to stay so calm and supportive through that Detour. Also I kind of got a kick out of him motioning towards the hottie on the streetcar and complimenting the "eye candy." I wonder if that guy saw the show.

I have also started to like Scott more recently.  He certainly has shown patience with Brooke.  How many of us would have let go of the rope during her meltdown in the rock climbing detour? :)

• Love 4

Yeah, Brooke must have been the child who cried and whined all the time and her parents ended up doing things for her just to shut her up.  My son had a friend like that--he'd cry at the drop of a hat and the parents scurried to fix things.  So now, even though she may know she can do something, her initial reaction to everything is to complain.  Then she actually finishes something and acts like she deserves a medal.  Scott has the patience of Job. Hoping for their elimination next.

I also think they should have used the opportunity to get a stronger team out of the race, though maybe they thought if they u-turned a strong team and they continued in the race, they would be targeted next.

• Love 1

Lame leg... To start with it, last leg meant nothing!! And than the double U-Turn with no much place to a team to get really lost or a task that could cost a team way more time. And yep, everyone decided to U-Turn Vanck and Ashton and celebrated it like if it was a smart decision.. Knock out a stronger team would be.. So, team Lolo, Team with the most patience guy in the other and Brooke and team Liz and Beard, unless you have some luck, you probably gonna be out one by one/won´t stand a chance going against the other three teams.

9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

There really isn't much difference between a NEL and a TBC leg.  The team that gets to the pit stop last stays in the race.

Three differences:  No prize for first team; exhaustion for all from an uber-leg; no penalty of whatever type for last place. 

5 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

[quoting Lantern7] Has anybody here ever eaten on ground transit like that? I don't mean on a plane or munching something from a bag on the bus or train. I mean getting a decent meal while seeing the sights.

I learned too late about the Fondue Tram in Zurich.  It was all booked up.  We had to ride regular trams separately from eating at a fondue restaurant.  

You can also dine in a fancy car on the Wuppertal Suspension Railway, though that's not quite ground transit.  But again, we just rode it back and forth, back and forth, till our tickets were about to expire.  

I'm sure there are many other such around the world.

Bet you couldn't tell I'm married to and mother to railfans.

Ashton (Ashton Theiss) has a pretty gracious post-race Facebook post up.

I don't think there was "reward Team Fun" collusion in the boat transport--I think they try to be pretty fair in race-provided transport (in team-selected taxis it's up to the driver, obviously).  I think the difference was which side of the dock they were trying to dock at, and Team Fun's boat randomly got the leeward(?) or otherwise safer slot.  The slowdown only started to happen right there at the dock, and the Bro team even grumped about that at the mat.  It actually was my second hark back to my recent Zurich trip, because I took a boat ride (fun for tourists, but also a regular commuter boat) around Lake Zurich, and they simply couldn't dock at any of the ports along the eastern side due to the wind kicking up.  

• Love 3

I thought it was mean to U-Turn Vanck and Ashley. Yes, Ashley was whiny and bossy toward her partner and came off kind of snobby to the others BUT what did poor Vanck ever do?? He is sort of geeky and socially awkward - I have a soft spot for "kids" like him. I've had a few in my teaching career plus a couple of relatives who are this way. They take advice on social behavior and they apply it. But one just has to show patience - Kind of how Scott has to with his partner - and they do fine.
I also thought what a waste of U-Turn. The smart thing to do (as someone has said) was to U-Turn Redmond and his partner. You need to make it difficult for stronger teams so that you have weaker competition at the end.

• Love 3

Brooke seems to be completely unaware of how she looks and sounds during her frequent ;crisis' moments.  Didn't she say something about she didn't realize she was being so vocal, after the rock climbing?  That she just kind of blacks out?  I kind of believe that.   I am not trying to make any excuses for her, and it doesn't make her any less annoying, but she doesn't seem to be aware of any of it.    In her mind, she just needs a little help, but blocks out whining and crying like a baby.  No offense to babies.  ha ha

I work with kids and she is just like one of those toddlers who gives up, flops to the floor and cries because he can't put his coat on, or whatever is asked of him.  And everyone seems to talk to her, like to do a little kid who is acting like that. ' You can do it!  I know you can.   Just try!  You're doing so good -- keep it up!!'

But Brooke clearly sees herself as one of the cool kids.  I just don't know how you can be so mean about someone else, not fitting in, when she is such a mess when she is challenged in the least little way.  She is in no way embarrassed by her behavior. 

Wasn't she initially excited about the rock climbing? 

• Love 4

Very predictable.

I can't believe the production are still allowing teams to block a u-turn off.  There's a reason double u-turns were brought in and that was to make it more competitive than the single u-turns they had.  And they let them just turn it back to single u-turns.  Whether you consider it a good strategy or not it's very boring as far as dramatic impact is concerned for the viewing audience.

When one team gets singled out it does look like people are being sheep and just being told what to do by others, instead of just playing their own game.  There shouldn't be anything wrong with just playing your own game really anyway, it's not meant to be Big Brother/Survivor.  They should really be aiming to take out the biggest threats too, not the team that's last.  To just target those they don't have dinner with or whatever seems silly.

The 'mountain' climbing looked relatively quick compared to the other, that's the impression I had anyway.  And that team fun woman was really annoying at the climbing.  When things are going her way she gets very cocky, and when they don't she explodes.

9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Exactly.  Were Vanck and Ashton "bullying" Redmond and Matt when they U turned them, earlier in the race.

Why should other teams do their work for them?  After all they are one of the stronger teams anyway.  Seems an idiotic strategy of the other teams.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Was it cool when Vanck and Ashton drove by all the other walking teams and honked? Just saying, you can't do stuff like that and then complain that the other teams don't like you.

Huh?  How is it any different than honking and waving when you pass others in taxis or driving?  It was a choice that the two groups of teams made, one group decided to walk to the tasks, one decided to drive, and when passing, they honked.  It wasn't like the group walking wasn't talking crap about how Vanck and Ashton drove.

16 hours ago, Ducky said:

Michael for some reason I still don't care for- can't put my finger on it..? maybe the passive aggressiveness mentioned above.  same for Liz.

And there you have it.  Quack.

Watch the clip posted in the media thread where Liz and Michael are shit-talking Ashton and Vanck, and you will have all the reasons you want about why not to care for Michael.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I rewatched the particular scene after the Blind Double U-Turn. He started off to say "Oh, we're gonna get ya!" and it did seem like all fun and games. But the problem with Redmond is that he seems to like to poke and poke at people to see them react, and not in a good way. Redmond did continue to say "Oh, are you scared? You should be scared!" And then the whole "You only U-Turn if you're weak!". So yeah, he wasn't making physically threatening remarks, but he was being aggressive with his words. 

Same here. How is it that she can't do ANYTHING? 

So what does that make one if they are part of a conspiracy to U-Turn?  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

It was one of the twins, either Derek or Drew. I think Drew? I think they were together for a couple years or so after the Race.

Yes, we are aware of the dysentery. I think most of us just find it interesting that the dysentery made her act like a whiny, screechy diva towards her partner but somehow didn't prevent her from flirting and joking around with the other teams.

She may have had dysentery in Vietnam, but she didn't have it in Italy (?) where she took off and smashed her bike helmet on the ground did she?  Or in leg 4ish in Morocco when she flipped out rapelling down a rock face?  She was a whiny, screechy diva pretty much the whole race.

• Love 3

Fair enough, but I think we can all agree it's almost certain Brooke did not apply to be on this show. And even if she expressed doubt about her ability to run the race once she was offered the slot, any halfway savvy producer or agent could have convinced her she'd have a great time, maybe meet a nice guy and/or become famous. People have all sorts of reasons for wanting to be on TV.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Huh?  How is it any different than honking and waving when you pass others in taxis or driving? 

Seriously? That's not even close to the same thing. That wasn't a friendly "Hey guys! Hi!" as you pass someone you know in a car. That was 100% a bitchy "Haha we're ahead of you because you chose to walk and we chose to drive."  She was absolutely doing that to be a bitch and rub it in. 

• Love 1

They were ahead of them at one point, when they drove by them and honked. That's why it was sweet karma when they ended up behind the other teams because it took so long to park.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Has anybody here ever eaten on ground transit like that? I don't mean on a plane or munching something from a bag on the bus or train.

I've been on more than one train that had a proper Dining Car, where a waiter would take your order from the menu and serve you at table.  I've never personally utilized such a service, though.  Poor-assed student that I was, a can of Coke and a bag of Porky-Scratchin's was about all I could afford in those days.

4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

But with the U/W-Tour board located before the Detour, it's far easier to guess who is behind you and who is in front.

Especially if you're coming off a staggered start directly to the U-turn.

You know what is nice, though?  Fifteen seasons ago all we would have been talking about is Redmond's artificial leg and whether it was going to affect his racing.  I really like the fact that except for a joke he made himself, it hasn't come up as an issue at all.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rachel RSL said:

Seriously? That's not even close to the same thing. That wasn't a friendly "Hey guys! Hi!" as you pass someone you know in a car. That was 100% a bitchy "Haha we're ahead of you because you chose to walk and we chose to drive."  She was absolutely doing that to be a bitch and rub it in. 

Wow...that is a lot of words from a honk that lasted a split second.  And again, it wasn't like the other teams were ridiculing the Vanck and Ashton for taking the car and were not gleeful in passing them as well.  If those teams are going to hold it against them for the honking they really need to look in the mirror.  And IIRC, the two teams were Brooke and Scott and Team Lolo?  Team Lolo again seemed to have no problems with Vanck and Ashton and were just going along with the conspiracy to avoid getting targeted themselves and in fact had professed their like of Vanck and Ashton at the mat of the previous leg.  And Brooke was clearly shit-talking about Ashton before the driving incident happened.

6 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Especially if you're coming off a staggered start directly to the U-turn.

You know what is nice, though?  Fifteen seasons ago all we would have been talking about is Redmond's artificial leg and whether it was going to affect his racing.  I really like the fact that except for a joke he made himself, it hasn't come up as an issue at all.

Yeah that is the issue with the placement of the W-Turn which sucks.  They should have made it immediately after the Roadblock.

I think it is a fact of modern medical technology that makes it at best a minimal impediment in the race.

• Love 4

Why can't I get a phone with only one app on it?  Every time I get a new phone, it is always stuffed full of bloatware that I can't get rid of...

That tram was awesome, I wonder if the other diners were actual customers, or production plants?  That one lady certainly was giving the stink-eye to the camera.  And the "eye candy" seemed to be consciously ignoring the cameras.  I would have a hard time with any of the eating challenges--I just don't have a big stomach, so a requirement to have a clean plate after being served a large portion of whatever would be difficult for me.  The fish in Norway?  That was a small portion, no problem.  Those two dishes served on the tram looked fantastic, but I wouldn't have been able to choke down seconds.

I think maybe the instructions on the plaster ghost building detour weren't as specific as they could have been, or maybe Tara and Joey assumed details that weren't necessary.  They seemed to believe that the plaster had to be completely and evenly dried before they could ask for inspection, but I don't think the others doing that same task were being that thorough.  I think that cost Tara and Joey a lot of time which maybe wasn't necessary.

OMG, Brooke, no, Scott can't use his eyes to guide you to your next handhold.  #1, they aren't detachable so he can't reel them up on a pulley to where you are to see what's around you and #2, they're too busy for that because they're rolled to the back of Scott's head due to your continuous whining histrionics and heaving fantods over, well, everything.

• Love 8

I wonder whether there will be blowback from other teams for Tara and Joey for not U Turning V and A. I can't remember if they were a part of the earlier negotiations to gang up or not. They obviously were not eager to jump in the middle, and in theory that could have screwed up the plan.

It would be great if other teams realized it doesn't help them to make it easier for rival teams to coast to the final.

8 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

The Wine Train in Napa Valley. But man, do I want to go to Milan to ride that bus!!

The dining tram in Melbourne, and the Rocky Mountaineer in Canada- I'd love to do the Napa train

Edited by Kelda Feegle
adding
11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Didn't Vanck take off his hat as he sat down? To be honest, I wasn't paying attention to anyone else's headwear, but I remember Vanck doing it.

Yep he did.

I've decided that Scott may bug me just as much as Brooke. The constant playing to the camera and he was the ringleader of the getting rid of the B-list team. He even was mocking Vanck and rolling his eyes at him when they were on the tram. Grow up already.

• Love 4

Wow, the Amazing Editors really hate Brooke.  Showing all her whining, crying, and nasty comments, they are making her look awful.

The focus on the social game is a symptom of the gimmick of these people being strangers. When you are racing with a loved one you'd be less likely to form more than a casual relationship with other teams. When you don't really know your partner you may connect more with someone on another team. Thus we see lots of hugs, high fives, and cooperation between people outside of their teams. It's not surprising that Ashton and Vanck, who were somewhat aloof, were targeted by the teams that think it's a party rather than a competition.

Ooooh!  I have a great story for next week's city.  

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

If those teams are going to hold it against them for the honking they really need to look in the mirror.

That's just the example I keep using. I have no doubt there's more to it than that.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Nalan said:

Phil said, in the season preview, that there'd be three Double U-Turns, so one more is coming up.

Also, Tara & Joey could U-Turn again since the first one used was a Blind Double U-Turn.  Because you don't use your picture, the one the teams are given at the start of the race to use later, you're eligible to use a regular Double U-Turn later.

I don't think it's that.  I distinctly remember a team in the first U-turn episode saying something like "unlimited u-turns this race".

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Love 1

About dining on trains:  One of my most magical memories is taking a train from (I think) Rome to Paris with my family when I was 12/13 years old, lo, these many years ago. We had our own compartment on the train, and after some time looking at the scenery, were called to the dining car, which had white tablecloths, waiters, a wine list, etc. By then, we were entering the Alps. We had a four course dinner that I remember as delicious, including a chocolate cake for my little sister's birthday, while looking over the beautiful scenery. When we got back to our compartment, the seats had been made up into very narrow bunks with wonderfully crisp sheets and soft pillows and clever netting pouches attached to the walls to put your glasses, book, whatever into. We fell asleep to the gentle rocking of the train, and woke up in the French countryside. The whole experience was just ... sumptuous. Sadly, I don't think these kinds of trains operate for general service anymore in Europe (and I'm sure it was terribly expensive -- I think my father's employer was footing the bill.)

• Love 8

Those who've already bailed on this season were smart. I didn't like this season's gimmick, and this episode was the last straw. TAR29 will be the first season that I've ever refused to finish watching.

This episode's ratings, and TAR29's ratings, have stunk, and I don't even care anymore. I don't watch "The Amazing Race" to see "Survivor/Big Brother: Around the World."

Almost all of the TAR29 cast, and especially the remaining cast members, deserve the ignominy of being the cast that ended TAR US. What an awful way to end a once great series.

• Love 3