Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Burning Love

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't remember how old I was when I got what Papa was a Rolling Stone was saying, but I remember that, if I was having a bad day, it would make me cry, because my father left when I was one and was an alcoholic who couldn't pull himself out of the bottle for me. That may be why I don't think Ziggy gets the song because he just seemed too happy listening to it.  

I didn't get what that song meant until I was in my teens (granted, English is not my first language, and I wasn't as fluent in it then). When I first heard it I thought it was a song written from the POV of one of Mick Jagger's or Keith Richards' children.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, CofCinci said:

I wish this wasn't a one season series. So many stories to be told. 

Laura Dern was on Watch What Happens Live last week and the topic of this being one season came up.  She said it was meant to be one season but then shrugged and said you never know.  That surprised me because I thought for sure it was only intended to be one season but her reaction suggested it possibly being otherwise.

15 hours ago, AmandaPanda said:

There would be a lot more to an actual safety plan. For instance, when's Perry's next business trip? It's probably safest to try and leave when he's out of town. How are you going to pay for this apartment? With a control freak like Perry, there's no way they have separate checking accounts. So, she would need to either already have some money stashed away or would need to start funneling money from the joint account in smaller amounts that he wouldn't notice. Has she talked to her landlord about needing extra locks on the doors? Has she set up a PO box so that her apartment could stay unlisted? The fact that the show is having the therapist present it as something as simple as "Just get an apartment and start preparing for the custody battle" is completely irresponsible. There's so much more that actually goes into it. It's not necessarily compelling TV, but it's a lot more realistic than what this therapist is doing. 

I think "it doesn't make compelling TV" is enough for the show to shorthand some of the finer details.  I don't think it's irresponsible as I would hope no one would copy leaving their husbands based on an HBO TV show.

As for the escalation, I think Perry, Celeste and the therapist are all feeling it.  Celeste is starting to considering leaving him which is why she has continued the therapy sessions.  The therapist can sense that this woman is thinking about making changes.  I think Celeste can feel it coming too, for all her denials, because she seems to be pushing back a bit more against Perry's domination as if she has zero fucks to give.  Or wants him to cross a line even she can't justify.  And Perry is sensing it too in how she reacts to him.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Laura Dern was on Watch What Happens Live last week and the topic of this being one season came up.  She said it was meant to be one season but then shrugged and said you never know.  That surprised me because I thought for sure it was only intended to be one season but her reaction suggested it possibly being otherwise.

It could become something like Sex And The City, which was also originally based on a book (though much more loosely), and evolved into its own thing.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's obviously not an age thing, considering how old Madeleine is supposed to be.  Reese is 41.  If she knew a lot about Sade's genre it would be more likely that she'd know Sade's music over Adele's.  Sade was incredibly popular in the 1980s.  Just makes Madeleine seem a little sheltered in her lily white world or something.

I just took it as an easy joke about how obsessed with Adele suburban moms are, and a shorthand way to underline Madeline's relative squareness next to Bonnie's effortless cool. Given that Madeline lives with music obsessed Ed and Chloe, I don't know that I seriously buy she wouldn't know that wasn't Adele, but even the best shows will occasionally undermine characterization for a quick joke.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't know that I think Ziggy was having an emotional connection (though Jane certainly was), because he was so jazzed dancing to it. I mean it has a great beat and sounds fun. I used to love singing to that song because I could manage the chorus in my very limited range. Especially the high on "when he DIED".

That's a fair point. I don't have a very strong opinion either way on whether Ziggy knew what the song was about or was connecting with it, but I do think it's totally plausible that he's into an old song, and that Chloe is a classic music nerd. They do exist, and some children have too sophisticated an ear for Kidz Bop. :)

• Love 4
7 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I agree with that.  Yes, kids listen to what their parents listen to, but I would think he'd be listening to more modern music.  Where is "Papa is a Rolling Stone" coming from.  And yeah, would a 5 year old REALLY relate to the lyrics?  Hell, it took me forever to understand that the Pointer Sisters weren't just extra happy when they were singing "I'm So Excited."  

The auctioning off virginity is such a stupid element to the story.  The writer could easily have found something less drastic to show her doing something rebellious and possibly because of the influence of hippy dippy parents that most parents would be upset about.  This is just ridiculous.  

I think kids listening to old music might be ok for this age group. Pretty soon they'll be introduced to pop music by their peers and will be loving the young pop stars. 

Wait, why were the Pointer Sisters so excited?  

• Love 11

I'm not sure how I feel about how the Perry/Celeste story has gone. On the one hand, its a really strong portrait of domestic abuse and how even women who seemingly have it all together can become victims of it, and how hard it is to "just leave" the abuser. On the other hand, it started off being a slightly more complicated view of domestic abuse, with the abuser being a really troubled person who was really horrified by what they were doing, and really did want to control their anger. 

I don't believe that Perry ever really wanted to control his anger or his behavior. Everything he does is to manipulate. He's not "only" an abuser. He's a narcissistic sociopath who doesn't really think HE needs help. He thinks Celeste needs help. Going to a marriage counselor is just a part of the cycle of violence. He probably thought Dr. Calamity Jane would buy his bullshit, but she didn't really. I certainly didn't, but I lived with and put up with an emotional abuser for decades. This wasn't the first domestic abuse couple Dr. CJ has seen and with experience, one can become quite good at noticing patterns of behavior pretty damned quickly.

Wrt the music that the kids are listening to, when I was growing up, my father had a dental office in our house and he'd tune the living room stereo (which was also wired to speakers in his office) to what used to be called elevator music, show tunes, Frank Sinatra type stuff. As a result, as a young girl I became fluent in that music (when I watched Name That Tune in the mid-70's, I was able to name most tunes in 2-3 notes and sometimes even knew the tune just from the description even before the music started). Now kids are surrounded by music and if they hear something they like, all they have to do is google it on a computer or other device.

Have got to say that those twins are gorgeous little boys. Perfect casting.

• Love 10
On 3/26/2017 at 9:11 PM, Gem 10 said:

And, I just don't care for Jane for some reason .. She's scary looking.  

I feel bad for Jane - I think the fact that Ziggy is prodding her all the time about who his father is, is really making it hard for her to forget it and move on.  Is next week's show 2 hours?  I sure hope so.

On 3/26/2017 at 10:08 PM, mochamajesty said:

Lol. That song was before my time but I recognized it.

I find this 1st grade love of oldies unrealistic.

Kids grow up listening to the music their parents listen to generally --

23 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

Have no idea who Joe Bonamassa is.

Amazing guitarist -

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

. Celeste cannot have friends or events other than Perry. And when she whacks him in the dick with a tennis racket, he is all furious because she broke his urethra.  Good.  She had better get out.  He explicitly threatened to kill her and he means it.

When Maddy answered the phone and Celeste told her Perry's urethra was broken, for some reason I at first thought it was HER.  And then I was like "omg he used the tennis racket on her."  Then I figured it out.  She aced him. lol

And what if someone they know wins the Abigail auction (if it happens).  Maybe it'll be Ed and he'll pay but not ...  you know.  That would be heroic.

Where is "Papa is a Rolling Stone" coming from.  And yeah, would a 5 year old REALLY relate to the lyrics?

Well, we know now that his sometimes sitter is a black woman who may play music -- does she teach him guitar? Didn't get that or not.  Also I think the "cool" music thing is a result of his friendship with Chloe, who really seems to be into the Pandora or something.  Maybe they talk, and she found that song for him... 

3 hours ago, FemmyV said:

the second time Renata comes at her, Jane's hand goes to the area of Renata's head, though we don't see the contact. Notice that it IS Renata, not Jane, who was aggressive, while Jane took an active defense. Unless it's on school cameras, though, it's they say/she says.

I felt that Renata's reaction was a total fake and overreaction.  Notice eye patch next day and then gone the next after they had talked.

I also raised my eyebrows with @AMANDAPANDA when she mentioned the money needed for this new apartment for Celeste. I'm sure she would have made money in her previous career as a lawyer but how would she have kept it or an account hidden from Perry all these years? 

I was like "OH of course she has to get an apt. right on the ocean..  you'd think she'd want to get something a tad more discreet...

9 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Weird.  I just watched that.  I can't even hear a gunshot in the soundtrack but CC does say that.  I would take Celeste doubling over to suggest maybe Perry came in and found her in the apt. and shot her.  Shooting yourself in the belly would have low odds of death, I think.  But she folded forward so slowly I would first assume it's just showing emotional anguish.  

How did I miss this/???? 

Someone might offer her $50K, but she'd never actually be able to accept it and donate it. The authorities would be all over that.

Agree, it would be statutory rape, she's 16, right?  I think she's just building the "project" to impress a college (um... okayyy lol) because she can't actually make it happen, at least til what - 18.

You know, all this talk about kids and music brings me back to when I was in like first grade - I'm sure I'm older than most here but my parents used to listen to Ella Fitzgerald,  and Broadway show tunes (Irma la Douce, Porgy and Bess, West Side Story etc.) and I knew all of these word for word. I consumed Barbra Streisand and I was 6, no lie.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think Bonnie told Nathan that she had JUST learned the nature of the project, when she told him.  Then when he called Abigail out and confronted her, Abigail shot Bonnie a look of resentment, I thought.  

Yes, I think Bonnie knew, and I really don't like her much because she is trying to be Abigail's friend and not a step-mother..  she can turn a blind eye because it's not HER daughter.  Do we think she'd be "cool" with Skye doing that someday?  I don't think so.

• Love 2

The parents'/step-parents' reactions and way to deal with what Abigail was up to.....

She's "lucky" she has parents who wanted to talk to her about it and praise the fact that it was for a noble cause.

My parents would have beat my hide, pretty much locked me in my room (I would be allowed out only for school, to eat, to shower, do chores around the house while being supervised, & to use the bathroom), & would have taken away my phone (or in this day and age, my cell phone and computer) until I went away to college (and then they'd probably still hold guilt about it over my head for decades). 

I need some clarification that Bonnie just didn't want to get too involved in disciplining Nathan's daughter as to explain why she was seeking so relaxed about it. I'd have probably puked on her too in Maddie's shoes if she went on about how they needed to understand and praise Abigail. 

I want an Emmy for Adam Scott. 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I need some clarification that Bonnie just didn't want to get too involved in disciplining Nathan's daughter as to explain why she was seeking so relaxed about it.

She smoked a joint right before she told Nathan about the "project".

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kell said:

I feel bad for Jane - I think the fact that Ziggy is prodding her all the time about who his father is, is really making it hard for her to forget it and move on.  Is next week's show 2 hours?  I sure hope so.

Fingers crossed!

Jane desperately needs counseling. She probably couldn't move on; what happened to her will be with her all her life. But she needs to make sense of it, learn how to talk about it, and find ways to live with it. Right now she's just burying it, and Ziggy keeps bringing it up. That process could be an entire book/show/movie on its own!

She also really needs help figuring out how to tell Ziggy the truth in age-appropriate ways. I'd love to see that evolve and wish there were time for her to go back to that child psychologist to sort it out.

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, Kell said:

You know, all this talk about kids and music brings me back to when I was in like first grade - I'm sure I'm older than most here but my parents used to listen to Ella Fitzgerald,  and Broadway show tunes (Irma la Douce, Porgy and Bess, West Side Story etc.) and I knew all of these word for word. I consumed Barbra Streisand and I was 6, no lie.

If you were consuming Barbra at 6, you're younger than me. :) I could sing every song from Funny Girl - with every one of Barbra's inflections - when I was 13 or so. Still can do most of it.

Of course, that doesn't mean I sang them well.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Upvote if you have parents that would have smashed your laptop if you made bullshit plans like Abigail.

I'm upvoting this, because my Mum would have done that and more; but she still managed to gloss over my stepdad trying to molest me.  Sooooo ... real life is complicated, eh.

Perhaps I should take it to Small Talk - because I have stories about how to survive abuse and how a "shrink" saved my life - just not sure I'm ready to share ...

• Love 10

This is going to seem like a weird post but...

I always watch the people eat on TV. Most people cut their meat and put it in their mouths with the fork upside down. I cut my meat using the knife in my right hand and fork in left hand and don't switch sides. I put it in my mouth with the fork right side up.  I never see anyone eat like that on tv. Now finally  someone whose eats like me!  Perry!  

Of course I couldn't tell you how friends and family eat because I'm too busy eating to watch them. Anyone else notice this kind of odd thing?

• Love 10
4 hours ago, madam magpie said:

I also loved "D-I-V-O-R-C-E" by Tammy Wynette and used to sing it with all the excitement and peppiness of an alphabet song on Sesame Street.

"...me and little J-o-e, we'll be goin' away..."

Sorry...off-topic...(leaves quietly)...

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I always watch the people eat on TV. Most people cut their meat and put it in their mouths with the fork upside down. I cut my meat using the knife in my right hand and fork in left hand and don't switch sides. I put it in my mouth with the fork right side up.  I never see anyone eat like that on tv. Now finally  someone whose eats like me!  Perry!  

Of course I couldn't tell you how friends and family eat because I'm too busy eating to watch them. Anyone else notice this kind of odd thing?

I've always used my utensils the "European way"; Knife right, fork left, nary a twist or a turn unless there be peas.  :-)

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I'm upvoting this, because my Mum would have done that and more; but she still managed to gloss over my stepdad trying to molest me.  Sooooo ... real life is complicated, eh.

Perhaps I should take it to Small Talk - because I have stories about how to survive abuse and how a "shrink" saved my life - just not sure I'm ready to share ...

I can't bring myself to "heart" this. So sorry it happened to you!

• Love 8
On 3/26/2017 at 7:15 PM, mochamajesty said:

Selling your virginity is repulsive and I loved Ed and Madeline' s reaction.

Drove me out of my mind that she had attitude when she got called on it.  To quote my mother, "You don't get to be mad when you do stupid shit."

I have really enjoyed this show.  The music is wonderful and the acting is off the charts great.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I've always used my utensils the "European way"; Knife right, fork left, nary a twist or a turn unless there be peas.  :-)

I'm a cutlery chameleon - it's one of those subtle things that people notice - eating european style with those who do not makes me feel pretentious, but not holding my silverware "correctly" with the well-traveled crowd makes me feel like a rube...so I go both ways!  ;)

• Love 4
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:01 PM, jacksgirl said:

Random thoughts. That boy that plays Ziggy is so talented! I am afraid for Celeste now. Run fast Celeste. The green puke was kind hilarious. 

I  read somewhere he (Iain Armitage) is going to play Jim Parsons character (Sheldon) as a youngster in a prequel show of The Big Bang Theory.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

I'm fairly certain that isn't her point.  The point would be that people will lose their minds and Ted Koppel will report on it for weeks because she is a privileged white girl from the Northern California but we're all aware that children as young as seven are sold as sex slaves in many places, including India and the national outcry is muted, at best.   She's trying to use her privilege to stir outrage and make money.  She's trying to use sex-trafficking her own-personal-self to make a point. 

Oh, I don't disagree -- I'm just still aghast at the shitty quality of her thinking and work. Also: imagination. The only thing Abigail's had taken from her against her will is her laptop - for 15 seconds. OH THE HUMANITY.

I know this is terrible but I was so cheesed at Bonnie during the fight that I found myself scoffing at poor little Skye who, it seems, does not take to openly expressed feelings of Teen-age Girls and Their Pa's. I was like, "Kid, you gotta toughen up. We yelled louder in my family about who gets the last porkchop. WALK IT OFF."

I'm going to hell now.

• Love 14

Zap2It has the final episode listed at one hour.  

Big Little Lies
Episode: You Get What You Need
NEW
S01, E07
CC  TV-MA
9:00 - 10:00 PM HBO (17)

I'll spoiler tag the description:

Spoiler

After another fight, Celeste makes a bold move; before the school's fall fundraiser, Madeline deals with fallout from her past; Jane learns who has really been hurting Amabella at school.

• Love 1
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Muffyn said:

Ed broke my heart when he talked about his and Maddie's relationship. 

He was lovely in this scene.  He can play cocky so easily. He is on The Good Place and plays an eeeeevil person.  

I still think he reads too young for Madeleine and it throws me.  Reese looks so much older than him.  When he says girl of his dreams I wince.  She isn't a girl.  She isn't girlish on this show.  She feels solidly middle aged to me which is fine but Ed feels early thirties.  

I guess I just don't buy them as a couple.  Imagine Mark Ruffalo in there.  Rumpled, warm Ruffalo.  I guess I just like to recast.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

Oh, I don't disagree -- I'm just still aghast at the shitty quality of her thinking and work. Also: imagination. The only thing Abigail's had taken from her against her will is her laptop - for 15 seconds. OH THE HUMANITY.

I know this is terrible but I was so cheesed at Bonnie during the fight that I found myself scoffing at poor little Skye who, it seems, does not take to openly expressed feelings of Teen-age Girls and Their Pa's. I was like, "Kid, you gotta toughen up. We yelled louder in my family about who gets the last porkchop. WALK IT OFF."

I'm going to hell now.

Hah!  I'd cut a bitch for another one of my Oma's breaded pork chops!  The last Schnitzel would get you forked or gutted, no question.  :-D

• Love 6

As the baby in my family by 5 years I hated seeing physical fights.  So I think Skye used her voice effectively.   

I give Nathan and Bonnie a little credit for not sugar coating the project.  I felt bad because Bonnie was trying so damn hard with that meal.  So hard.  She decanted the wine, created a feast, dressed nicely.  

Also when Abigail mentions her value as a white rich girl I admired Bonnie for not rolling her eyes. 

My big problem with the virginity auction is that Abigail seems too sensible for such a scheme.  It feels very OOC.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lemons said:

How are you holding the fork like a pencil or thumb on Handle ? I just tried that within  imaginary fork food and knife. Felt awkward. Think when I've seen someone eat that's way I thought they were left handed or really hungry.  I have a friend that does it on occasion when we first start eating but he then will switch back right handed after a bit.   European is fork left handed pointed down then in the mouth.  

I do watch odd things like art in all forms and floral arrangements. Once during a documentary on the Haight in San Francisco i saw a wood cut by an artist I collect on someone's living room wall  

On to deeper things!

14 hours ago, madam magpie said:

I feel like Jane had eclectic musical taste. She's also young and seems fairly hip/edgy. I don't have any trouble believing that Ziggy listens to what she listens to, or that she's not playing only mainstream pop hits or typical kiddie songs.

12 hours ago, stagmania said:

That would be Chloe's parents. Ed appears to have a whole sound system/karaoke set up in their home.

I don't have a problem with Chloe and Ziggy's taste in music. As someone said above, kids listen to what their parents listen to, which accounts for the older songs. A friend of mine had her first baby when she was over 40 and shortly after she gave birth, she asked for suggestions to add to the list of music she wanted to play for him. She already had Nirvana, the Beatles, and 90s songs about butts as things she specifically wanted to expose him to. I remember that one of my favorite albums when I was about 6 was my mom's Neil Sedaka record even though he was long before my time. Jane strikes me as the kind of person who has made some deliberate choices about sharing certain music with Ziggy.

The other thing to keep in mind is that kids these days have so access to so much more music thanks to the combination of streaming services, ipads/iphones/ipods, and the internet. When I was a kid, my musical choices were limited to the radio station my mom played in the car as she drove me to school and the records she and my dad had in the family room. I didn't have a radio in my bedroom until middle school. But now any kid with a tablet can easily listen to an endless number of songs/playlists/radio stations. And Ed has the whole house wired for music so Chloe can listen to all kinds of music on her ipod in the car or in the house when she's at home.

I thought the reason that Ziggy was doing his little dance routine to "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" was because of Chloe. Isn't that what she was watching on the screen when Madeline and Ed came home from opening night of Avenue Q and Madeline kept telling her it was time for bed? I sided with Chloe because I haaaaaate having to stop a song or video in the middle. Just let me finish until the end and then I'll turn it off!

• Love 5
On 3/26/2017 at 11:14 PM, lmsweb said:

Maddie could be pregnant by Ed. Didn't they run off to the laundry room that night Chloe interrupted them in the kitchen?

I think Maddie saw something she didn't like on Abigail's Facebook page and called Nathan, putting an end to the sex plan. I don't think a pregnancy is happening here, or maybe it's just that I don't want it to.

On 3/26/2017 at 11:47 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I didn't really love Maddie confessing the affair to Abigail either.  There are other ways to prove a point or parent, I think.  I know things about my parents that I really wish I didn't and I don't really see how it benefits me.  Unload onto a friend - why your offspring.

Me too. I felt bad for Abigail there. Even if she'd suspected cheating, she didn't know for sure, and finding out can be rough.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:04 AM, OldButHappy said:

I started noticing the glass in the homes in tonight's episode...I think it's an intentional metaphor:

Bonnie and Nathan also had a glass door Abigail used, off the kitchen, I think.

12 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Maybe that was her point and she never had any intention of selling herself but is doing a kind of investigative report/performance piece to get people to see their own hypocrisy? Or is that giving her way too much credit?

This is my wishful thinking, and she's keeping her parents in the dark for "authenticity," though I'd forgotten about the birth control pills. Maybe she dropped them in front of her mom on purpose? I'm reaching here, I know.

10 hours ago, Momof2boyz said:

I recognized the milk.  Horizon Organic milk.  

Hm, I question Bonnie's hippieness, then. My co-op stopped selling Horizon because it didn't meet the store's standards. And it's a huge--the biggest?--producer of organic milk and is even sold in the evil Wal-Mart. I'd have thought she'd buy something more local or from a smaller company.

I didn't get a good look at the racket, but it looked more like a badminton racket to me than a tennis racket, which is funny because...shuttlecock. Though it makes no real sense to have a badminton racket in your showroom closet, whereas I could see keeping an expensive tennis racket there to protect it from the kids. (Yes, Mary Carillo, I know there are expensive badminton rackets.)

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2

It definitely looked like a badminton racket to me too which made me wonder why they had it in the closet or anywhere in their bedroom. I could see having it downstairs because the kids played with it but in their fancy closet with lighted racks of shoes? I know I shouldn't complain about any scenario that broke Perry's penis though.

• Love 5

That has got to be the stupidest, most ill thought out project ever. Amnesty International would want nothing to do with it, and wouldn't ever accept the daughter's donation. Even if the girl faked it as an attention seeking publicity stunt, it would still cause a world of shit for her parents. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, stillshimpy said:

I'm pretty hippie-dippy myself, so Bonnie's status as a yoga doing, hemp wearing, peace talking search-for-your-higher-self is NOT what is giving her peace with the entire concept.

I've been thinking about this some more. I wonder if there's some sexual abuse in Bonnie's past, and that's why she seems more zen about Abigail's project than the other adults. Not because she agrees with the way Abigail is doing things, but because she feels strongly about the cause and touched that Abigail cares about it. I feel like there's some mystery around Bonnie still to be revealed.

6 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I still think he reads too young for Madeleine and it throws me.  Reese looks so much older than him.  When he says girl of his dreams I wince.  She isn't a girl.  She isn't girlish on this show.  She feels solidly middle aged to me which is fine but Ed feels early thirties.  

5 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

Adam Scott is 43 and Reese is 41.  Gah. Time is unkind to actresses.  I honestly thought he was around 35.  Someone moisterizes. 

Adam Scott has always looked younger than he is. When he first showed up on Parks and Recreation to play Leslie Knope's love interest, I remember thinking it played like she was into a younger man. 

Adam Scott has a boyish face.  They try to hide that on this show with the facial hair but it's hard.  He's like Anime Tom Cruise.  I think I heard that a long time ago.

7 hours ago, jeansheridan said:

I guess I just don't buy them as a couple.  Imagine Mark Ruffalo in there.  Rumpled, warm Ruffalo.  I guess I just like to recast.

I hope you saw "Just like Heaven" that stars Mark and Reese together, then ;)

9 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Upvote if you have parents that would have smashed your laptop if you made bullshit plans like Abigail.

LOL, I am too old to even have been living under my parents' roof when we could have laptops... got my first one well into University or later!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Hah!  I'd cut a bitch for another one of my Oma's breaded pork chops!  The last Schnitzel would get you forked or gutted, no question.  :-D

Hell yeah. No one snitches my schnitzel!

I use my utensils both ways - Mom was European and Dad American. But I like the efficiency of the European method.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Lemons said:

hehe, yes, me too, I'm always puzzled as to why people would keep changing their fork from hand to hand during the meal. And the fork should always be turned downwards, which makes it much easier to hold things you cut, unless as someone says you need to "scoop" something such as peas :)

I though Skye's cry was very weird as a way to get attention. Didn't look typical to me at all.

Anything else I had to say has already been said better :) 

• Love 1

For some reason, the principal saying "I should have taken that job in Reykjavik" during the Greek chorus made me laugh. I have a secret desire to move to Iceland and I just kept wondering what kind of job it was and if I could do it.

• Love 10

I'm left handed so my fork is always in my left hand, but I don't turn it the upside down way. So funny the little things we notice. However, I've noticed my dad eats 'European' style.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

I'm left handed so my fork is always in my left hand, but I don't turn it the upside down way. So funny the little things we notice. However, I've noticed my dad eats 'European' style.

Explanation of using a fork & knife. Who's to say which way is right (correct)?

Fork & Knife video

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, vibeology said:

Sure, but how about consequences for her actions? Taking her laptop away might not stop the website from existing but it would show her that keeping secrets like this and making such a poor choice has consequences. She's a 16 year old. Her parents get to decide if and when she can use a laptop and she has, in my opinion, demonstrated that her judgment isn't sound enough to use one without direct supervision. Like I said earlier, I think because they caught it before her website went live, the parents underplayed the severity of what Abigail did and spent more time making validating Abby's feelings and not enough time pointing out the dangers of her actions.

Agreed, I don't understand this lax, let's be friends, and allow kids to make their own choices style of parenting, add to that the oversharing of having an affair with your teenage daughter, and I can't even count the number of boundaries crossed. WTF is wrong with these people, laptop, phone, and anything privileges (like social media) related would be gone until Abigail proved herself trustworthy and responsible. There is no way I would be arguing respecting my daughter's social activism with selling her virginity online. Sorry, sweetie no cause is worth your dignity and potential trauma, and the fact that she was callous enough to note that white privilege ups her value was disgusting.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, dcalley said:

And it's a huge--the biggest?--producer of organic milk and is even sold in the evil Wal-Mart. I'd have thought she'd buy something more local or from a smaller company.

Maybe Nathan bought it?  She did disparage his breakfast.  Might have been milk and cereal!

• Love 5

I am so ready for the finale. I have enjoyed every episode and all the lovely hanging threads of this story. I learned so many things like:

• It's possible to break a urethra (wow and couldn't have happened to a more worthy person)
  • Glass on beach houses is high-maintenance
  • Papa was a rolling stone 
  • To quote Ghost: Celeste, you in danger, girl. 

I feel this story has set up Perry to be Jane's rapist and I appreciate them laying the foundation without being coy. I enjoyed Broadchurch but thought the show was going for shock value with the revelation of the killer. 

Is it Sunday yet? Screw The Walking Dead - I'm on pins and needles for Big Little Lies. 

• Love 20
29 minutes ago, BigBlueMastiff said:

Agreed, I don't understand this lax, let's be friends, and allow kids to make their own choices style of parenting, add to that the oversharing of having an affair with your teenage daughter, and I can't even count the number of boundaries crossed. WTF is wrong with these people, laptop, phone, and anything privileges (like social media) related would be gone until Abigail proved herself trustworthy and responsible. There is no way I would be arguing respecting my daughter's social activism with selling her virginity online. Sorry, sweetie no cause is worth your dignity and potential trauma, and the fact that she was callous enough to note that white privilege ups her value was disgusting.

She's right, though, as far as the media is concerned anyway.

I'm baffled by the authoritarian parenting approaches. I didn't get the sense that any of the parents thought what Abigail was doing was fine; they were all horrified, as was I. But she's 16, not 6. She does have some say about her own life, and certainly about her own body. I think Bonnie was in a bad position with the PP visit. I get why she did it, but I'd also lose my shit if I were the mother. Bonnie got that too, apologizing later. She's not some random outsider. Her kid with Nathan is six. That means she's been around at least that long, probably more like 7 or 8 years at least, making Abigail very young when Bonnie first became a part of her life. Bonnie is integral to Abigail's family, and yeah, I think she does also get a say. The super territorial parenting approach isn't good for anyone.

I do wish someone had mentioned the legalities to Abigail. Her plan would never fly, and could land some people in jail. But the ideas that she deserves a beat down or to lose her phone and laptop strike me as nutty ways of trying to control someone who in less than two years can have sex with whomever she wants, wherever she wants, and for whatever reasons she chooses. Much better to teach her to value sex, herself, and her body, and to direct her philanthropy to more legal (and emotionally healthy) approaches.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 8