Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Burning Love

• Start Topic

Madeline worries about the can of worms she’s opened for Jane. Jane confronts Renata. Bonnie tells Nathan about a secret project Abigail has been working on. Meanwhile, Ed and Madeline have a frank conversation about the lack of passion in their marriage.

Oh gosh that dinner scene. Flashbacks of Linda Blair in the Exorcist. My first thought however is that Maddie  might be pregnant from her affair (the sight of the oysters induced the vomiting). 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Autocorrect was wrong
  • Love 14

The Saxon Baker guy really does look like Perry.  Madeline does not answer the question of whether there were other Saxons in her Internet search.  Perry makes sure that Celeste does not go to opening night.  He has to get his way one way or the other.

• Love 11

I was wondering if Maddie is pregnant as well. I couldn't watch the scenes with Celeste and Perry tonight- I fast-forwarded through them. It was too much. Too real. (I hope Nicole and A Skars get awards for their portrayal of the characters.) Let me just say- I would have broken more than his urethra!

• Love 10

There's only one more episode?! How in the world are they ever going to tie this all up in one more episode? 

Also, I want the dress Reese wore at the dinner. 

Edited by eeyore
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, stagmania said:

There's so much that has to happen next week!

Yes! I don't even see how they can wrap everything up. I thought for sure we would find out the victim tonight, but no. I kind of feel anything could happen now.

• Love 4

Green puke was awesome and unexpected. Shrimp? What could have been that electric green sauce?

Dead straight Perry controlling opening night, at least he paid for it. Celeste gets a pad! Go, girl.

I liked the Jane and Renata scenes. Especially Renata getting her eye poked out, heehee. I was surprised at how easily she made peace, though, so perhaps that was due to what we saw coming in the previews for next week. ie, giving Jane a false sense of security.

Poor Ed. Poor poor Ed.

Green puke aside, I thought the dinner went well.

Edited by FemmyV
  • Love 5

Ed is too good for Madeline.  And, I just don't care for Jane for some reason .. She's scary looking.   That throw up scene was over the top.  Why did Madeline have to tell Abigail about her affair, to prove a point?  Unnecessary.   Next week can't come soon enough.  Wonder if the ending is the same as the book.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, susannot said:

The scene between Jane and renata didn't feel quite believable to me.  Especially not when followed by a scene from the Greek chorus that says women never forgive each other, ever.

I think we'll see the pivot next week. The previews showed

Spoiler

Renata's husband throwing a restraining order on Jane.

• Love 1

Add me to those praising the brilliant Robin Weigart. I've enjoyed her in so many roles and she never seems to get the recognition that she deserves.

A LOT has to be resolved next week. Is the episode only one hour long?

The scene between Renata and Jane was well-done. Perry grows more frightening with each episode. It is very hard to watch any scenes with him. He has such a quiet menace.

Poor Ed...he will never find that passion with Maddie.

• Love 11

"I'll get you the number of the Better Business Bureau so you can report me" = "you and I both know that a. I'm right and b. you fucking won't."

I have to say, Bonnie is SUPER annoying.

If you are going to teach your kid all the technical details of baby-making, don't tell him the eggs are in your belly or you are going to have one very confused kid in 20 years.

• Love 10

The age of consent in California is 18. Illegal is right. I take it that Abigail's teachers have no clue about this secret project?? I laughed at Nathan's "I'm proud of your beliefs" spiel. I shudder to think of what my old-school parents would have done.

Very surprised to see the truce between Renata and Jane. I hope it lasts. Poor Ziggy's had enough grief.

• Love 4

So now I am having doubts that there will be some great revelation about Abigail and Ed.  Sure, this show could surprise me next week but I didn't get a hint of that this week and I think if the show were trying to hint at something, they would have done so this week. I'm torn about Madeline telling Abigail about the affair.  On one hand, it's a good way to show Abigail that she's human and the advice is from experience.  On the other hand, she hasn't told Ed yet has she?

I appreciate the show telegraphing the vomit because I hate vomit on TV.  But the close ups of the fish and the oysters after that big "secret project" reveal let me know what was going to happen.  As for her being pregnant, I don't think so.  The affair was a year ago, right?  And I didn't think they slept together again recently.

The therapy session was great this week, as usual, although I don't know that a therapist would be that pushy in terms of what Celeste needs to do, especially knowing that danger awaits. But I did like that scene because it went through the uphill battle leaving an abuser, especially one with means, can be.  Walk away easily with custody?  Not bloody likely.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

Poor Ed. Poor poor Ed.

Truly. I hope we're done with the evil Ed theories. He's exactly what he appears to be: a sad dork whose wife isn't that into him.

6 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

I do not agree with Madeline telling Abigail about the affair. That may come back to bite her.

Selling your virginity is repulsive and I loved Ed and Madeline' s reaction.

I got the impression that Ed knows, and would prefer not to hear any details or really confront his knowledge at all, thus him asking Madeline to stop confessing. But you're right that it may still bite her in other ways-Abigail is unpredictable and I don't put it past her to use it against her mom when the opportunity strikes.

One thing I'm unclear on-did Bonnie know what Abigail's project was all along? I wasn't sure if she'd only just found out herself when she told Nathan. Regardless, I found her affect when she told him a little too blasé and disaffected. I get the feeling that she kind of agrees with Abigail and isn't that bothered by her idea, but knows it's not socially acceptable and so goes along with the necessary parenting steps. 

• Love 20

Perry makes surprise plans to go to Phoenix and doesn't want Celeste to go to the premiere, and come hell or high water she does not go.

Perry wants attention while Celeste is on the phone with her friend and he is going to be annoying enough that she gets off the phone.

What a dick.  I am SOOO sorry I ever defended the guy.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, stagmania said:

One thing I'm unclear on-did Bonnie know what Abigail's project was all along? I wasn't sure if she'd only just found out herself when she told Nathan. Regardless, I found her affect when she told him a little too blasé and disaffected. I get the feeling that she kind of agrees with Abigail and isn't that bothered by her idea, but knows it's not socially acceptable and so goes along with the necessary parenting steps. 

I got the feeling she knew something, but she's so hippy-dippy earth child that I don't think it bothered her much anyways.

I'm surprised Renata didn't sue the pants off Jane. There has to be more to that whole thing.

• Love 2

I thought this episode was great, though the vomiting was over-the-top and unnecessary. It was so unrealistic. Why was it neon green??

The scenes with Jane and Renata were wonderful. Interesting that Renata seemed to have started doubting Ziggy's guilt too, even as she pushed the narrative publically.

The therapy was amazing to watch, as always.

Perry is terrifying. If he kills Celeste next week, I'll be very upset.

Why did Jane's mood change while Ziggy was dancing/singing? 

I really liked the sex talk. Jane is probably my favorite of the women, and I love how she interacts with her kid, how frankly but simply she explains things to him, and how perceptive they are with each other. I often think of Ma and Jack in Room when watching them. I always notice how young she is in regard to her being raped, but her parenting skills strike me as very mature. I like that contradiction a lot, and I totally believe it.

That said, I fully expected Ziggy to ask her how women eat with eggs and babies in their bellies.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 7

Papa Was A Rolling Stone is about an absent father.  Jane realized that Ziggy was feeling the lyrics of the song.

Humbleopinion just said the same thing better.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, madam magpie said:

Ah-ha! I don't know the song...

Oh jeez, I am old. It was a huge hit way back in the Motown era.

Edited by FemmyV
  • Love 12
Just now, Atlanta said:

I really hope they don't go the 'Bonnie knew' route. When you get down to it, Bonnie was a nice person and parent and step-parent. She was legit.

I don't think Bonnie knew or thought it was a good idea. Everyone seemed horrified in their own ways.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Bonnie and Nathan are so hippy-dippy that they'd be okay with the girl prostituting herself on the Internet?

I think she wanted to let Nathan handle it. She wasn't the one screaming at Abigail. Part of it is her laid-back personality and part of it is because she's a stepmom. (Perhaps she feels it's not her place?) I think she cares, but doesn't want to rock the boat.

Edited by dhilde85
Wrong character
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

Oh jeez, I am old. It was a huge hit way back in the Motown era.

Well, I'm not young and once y'all said the name of the song, I do know it. But I didn't recognize it or the lyrics. 

What song was Ziggy playing on his guitar that Jane told him he couldn't sing, only play? I assumed it was dirty or included bad words, and thought that was funny, but have no idea what it was! (I'm terrible at identifying music.)

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

Green puke was awesome and unexpected. Shrimp? What could have been that electric green sauce?

Dead straight Perry controlling opening night, at least he paid for it. Celeste gets a pad! Go, girl.

I liked the Jane and Renata scenes. Especially Renata getting her eye poked out, heehee. I was surprised at how easily she made peace, though, so perhaps that was due to what we saw coming in the previews for next week. ie, giving Jane a false sense of security.

Poor Ed. Poor poor Ed.

Green puke aside, I thought the dinner went well.

Green puke .. Maybe guacamole before dinner?

• Love 1

I don't at all think Bonnie was OK with it.  I mean,think of the range of adult reactions to the news that your 16 year old daughter is auctioning off her virginity on the Internet.  All of which were shown tonight.  For this particular girl, I would be inclined to believe that it is performance art and a way of getting attention.  I would let it be known that this will never happen, cops will be called, etc. I don't think her mother's projectile vomiting or her father's seizure of her laptop were the right way to handle the situation, although it's hard to walk a mile in their shoes and I  might have done the same thing. However, I had a son, who was never motivated to do extreme things to draw attention to himself. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, madam magpie said:

Well, I'm not young and once y'all said the name of the song, I do know it. But I didn't recognize it or the lyrics. 

What song was Ziggy playing on his guitar that Jane told him he couldn't sing, only play? I assumed it was dirty or included bad words, and thought that was funny, but have no idea what it was! (I'm terrible at identifying music.)

I'm pretty sure it was the same song Papa Was A Rolling Stone.  It's fairly easy to play on guitar and it's Ziggy's new favorite song because it so speaks to him.  Jane finds it heartbreaking.

• Love 3