Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: The Bounce

3 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

Maybe, however I live by the beach and have never seen any girls who have pubes crawling out of a bikini bottom, which would happen with a full bush. I think a lot of men would prefer at least trimming things up and making it neat.

A person going to the beach with a bit of pubic hair showing is really not a big deal. If you don't like it, don't look at it. If a man prefers neat and trim pubic hair, he can trim his own and discuss his partner's, not anyone else's.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, SammieJay said:

A person going to the beach with a bit of pubic hair showing is really not a big deal. If you don't like it, don't look at it. If a man prefers neat and trim pubic hair, he can trim his own and discuss his partner's, not anyone else's.

I actually went to Youtube to see if I could find a clip from that Sex and the City episode where a guy criticizes Samantha for not being trimmed enough for him, and she goes off on the state of his pubic hair.  Instead, I found this.  So subtle So classy.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I really felt for Hannah the way Paul-Louis just brushed off the pregnancy news. She *said* she didn't care if he wanted to be involved, but that level of indifference must have hurt.

I thought Lena Dunham did a wonderful job with that scene. You just know a tiny part of her wanted something from him, and then him barely remembering her and basically shrugging off her life-altering news was brutal. I really felt for Hannah there.

10 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

I loved getting to hear Elijah sing but I have to say that a White Man Can't Jump musical sounds like the worst thing ever in the history of musicals. One destined for the broadway graveyard like The Wedding Singer musical. 

That's why I love it-this is exactly the kind of awfully conceived musical that springs up every couple years these days. The basketballs were an amazing touch.

7 hours ago, Slovenly Muse said:

As to Marnie's storyline, it's hard to get behind this writing. She's been the same blind, selfish narcissist for six seasons, impervious to reason, and suddenly a stranger points out her earrings are fake and she's ready to treat other people like they exist? I'm not sure I buy it. I wonder where things are going from here, or if this is more or less the resolution to her story: Moving in with Mom, with a new perspective on her life. I'll be curious to see how it all shakes out!

I didn't really see that one tiny scene of her leaving Desi a decent message as a sign that she's had some kind of profound epiphany. Marnie strikes me as that kind of selfish narcissist that can never really change deep down, but she can have moments of lucidity. 

5 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Some actors are great on Broadway but do not fare well on television.

Yeah...they are very different mediums, and not everyone can move seamlessly between them. Jasmine Cephas Jones was great in Hamilton.

4 hours ago, Matias130 said:

What I dont understand is that while I know that Hannah marches to the beat of her own drum, she has almost no idea how to be cute, sexy, and flirty. I'm not talking social awkwardness, I'm talking flaunting full pubic hair, spilling drinks on herself repeatedly while dancing, acting very uncouth, etc etc. I dont even like to watch this show with my husband because I am embarrassed by her various behaviors. I really was not surprised that Paul Louis had not kept in touch with her. 

That's an incredibly narrow view of what is attractive. I doubt Paul Louis not keeping in touch had much to do with any of this; he has a girlfriend and likely forgets about every girl he has random hookups with. And I'll echo everyone else who said that what she does with her pubic hair is her choice and it matters not at all what any man thinks of it.

I'm officially putting out an APB on Shoshannah. 

• Love 12

Did anyone else think that Athena Dante might not have been real, but a figment of Elijah's imagination that enabled him to get through the audition? She was alone in the stairs; the Chorus Line-style callback avoided mentioning her name; she was never addressed by the casting folks but only hung out on the side cheering on Elijah during the dance scene; she never interacted with anyone else; and she had some inexplicable Starbucks discount that made no sense and didn't work there. I was sure that Elijah would walk away, turn back around, and she'd be gone.

I've probably seen too many genre shows.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 13

what a great episode. I'm loving this season. I'm hoping for Marnie and Hannah being reunited and living together raising the baby. Elijah being a hit on Broadway. Adam and H. having closure and not being together. Jessa and H. having closure and not being close but being friendly. Shosh having her happy ending.

Edited by braziliangirl
Sp!

Awwwww way to go Elijah! Even though that musical sounds AWFUL, I am super happy for him. It was cool seeing Dill again, and I loved his weirdly specific scandal. He tried to buy a white baby? It sounds just weird enough to actually be a thing that happens to a famous person.

Poor Hannah. Maybe she didn't really need her one night stand to help with the baby, but him just brushing her off must have been really hard for her. Her life is changing forever, and he seemed like he might not even think about it after this. Lena actually did a really good job in this episode. If nothing else, this season has actually made me like Hannah again.

Of course Marnie's jewelry is all totally worthless. Classic Marnie.

Its too bad its not a few years ago, or Elijah could have auditioned for the Spider-Man musical. That would have been delightfully batshit.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Did anyone else think that Athena Dante might not have been real, but a figment of Elijah's imagination that enabled him to get through the audition? She was alone in the stairs; the Chorus Line-style callback avoided mentioning her name; she was never addressed by the casting folks but only hung out on the side cheering on Elijah during the dance scene; she never interacted with anyone else; and she had some inexplicable Starbucks discount that made no sense and didn't work there. I was sure that Elijah would walk away, turn back around, and she'd be gone.

I've probably seen too many genre shows.

I thought maybe Athena Dante would end up his new roommate once Hannah and her baby ride off into the sunset.

One thing that grates on me is every time Marnie says "f*cking" which is pretty much every other sentence.... "I'm f****** broke" "Im f******evicted" "Youre so f****** talented booth jonathan" UGHHHHH

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

One thing that grates on me is every time Marnie says "f*cking" which is pretty much every other sentence.... "I'm f****** broke" "Im f******evicted" "Youre so f****** talented booth jonathan" UGHHHHH

I can't focus on anything she says - her nasal voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Seriously, I can barely tolerate it. I feel bad for anyone who has to sit through that whole movie she's in. 

• Love 5

Good Lord, I have come to realize what I liked about first season Marnie was...Hannah.  It was Hannah who humanized Marnie, as she is the only person Marnie seems capable of caring about, but herself.

His answer was mostly about how much shade and layers Allison Williams has as an actress, and how much range. I saw the damn scene - even if that were true, there was no opportunity in the scene for her to display that. The actor's remarks reminded me of when all of the Mad Men actors would fall over themselves telling us how talented Jessica Pare was.

They can praise Allison Williams to the high heavens, but there is no nuance at all in her performance.  The realization at the pawn shop was very Junior High drama club.

We all said Marnie's character only makes sense if she comes from some money.   It seems that has been debunked.  Is she this entitled because she is an attractive white woman?  The truth is, I have no idea what she has to offer beyond her looks and her looks do not make up for the horror show of a personality.  Hannah has said in season one that Marnie is only looking for a well off guy to take care of her.  It seems to be true.  Desi, like Adam, has had minor successes in the arts fields.  Acting, even in small rolls or bit parts can pay well.  It explains how Adam can fund his movie, Jessa's rent, and her studies.

Does anyone think it is interesting that the two more conventionally attractive ladies in the cast (Jessa and Marnie) are also the two who seem to have no trouble finding guys to finance their lifestyles?  Also, the two attractive, but less conventionally good looking (Hannah and Shoshana) are trying to do something with their careers and support themselves?

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, qtpye said:

They can praise Allison Williams to the high heavens, but there is no nuance at all in her performance.  The realization at the pawn shop was very Junior High drama club.

Throughout that scene I was trying to figure out whether she was joking or being serious.  I concluded she was being serious, and she's a seriously bad actor.

ETA: Initially I thought they were trying to infuse the scene with Kristen Wiig style comedy (with the Wild Bill story) but it completely flat lined, just like the red dress scene when she was faking the accent.  Also, an observation, the dimple in her chin is no longer.  I think she had it removed by way of plastic surgery.  Ain't no shame in that game, just an observation.  She looks better without it, but definitely less "real" than in the earlier seasons.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, qtpye said:

but there is no nuisance at all in her performance. 

Someone put an 'is' in your 'nuance'!

10 minutes ago, qtpye said:

We all said Marnie's character only makes sense if she comes from some money.

Overblown sense of entitlement is a defect of character, it doesn't have to be based in reality.  I know plenty of people from humble beginnings who are entitled, just as I know plenty of stupid people who think they're geniuses.

• Love 7

what a great episode. I'm loving this season. I'm hoping for Marnie and Hannah being reunited and living together raising the baby. Elijah being a hit on Broadway. Adam and H. having closure and not being together. Jessa and H. having closure and not being close but being friendly. Shosh having her happy ending.

In other words, Hannah and Jessa's relationship would be like the ending of the movie Something Borrowed, which would make sense.

• Love 1

I think Williams is limited, but I don't seem to think she's as terrible as most here. She was effective in "Get Out", basically playing a Marnie-type, or maybe what Marnie wishes she was: a pretty young thing born into great privilege, with some darkness and ugliness beneath the pretty exterior. So it wasn't a huge stretch from Marnie to the film, but she did fine. I actually thought the pawn shop scene was hilarious.

I'm not gonna lie...though I think women should wear their pubic hair any way they please, or not at all...I always found that Quattro trimmer ad pretty funny, even a little clever.

I might have low standards, tho.

• Love 3

What I dont understand is that while I know that Hannah marches to the beat of her own drum, she has almost no idea how to be cute, sexy, and flirty. I'm not talking social awkwardness, I'm talking flaunting full pubic hair, spilling drinks on herself repeatedly while dancing, acting very uncouth, etc etc. I dont even like to watch this show with my husband because I am embarrassed by her various behaviors. I really was not surprised that Paul Louis had not kept in touch with her. 

Well, I guess I'd question whether "cute, sexy and flirty" is the only way to attract a guy, or if there's one way to be that. I think that Hannah did most of her uncouth behaviors before she and Paul Louis hooked up. For me, the hook-up was easy to buy when I got a look at the cookie cutter types who were taking Paul Louis's surfing class, and also how they liked to show off how well they were doing or were looking for praise. After a certain point, that is going to be boring. How much fun would those women be to hang out with? Hannah's off the chain, but she doesn't care, and I could see that having appeal for a weekend fling. (And remember, Paul Louis's a little wild too - he's had group sex.)

If I remember correctly, she also seemed to be closer to Paul Louis's age. She's outspoken, confident, has her opinions, but is also wild. She is up for going with the flow and having a good time. I don't mean to stereotype, but dudes have done that stuff - thrown up, fallen down, spilled stuff on themselves. I'm sure Jean Louis has done or seen similar a time or two - it's just a little less common seeing a girl do it, because if a girl is looking to hook up (which Hannah didn't seem to be until it happened - another thing that was appealing, IMO) she might be trying to be "cute, sexy and flirty" instead of herself. Hannah was being herself. She also didn't come across as "trouble." You know - steer clear of that girl because she's a mess! She came across as very confident and unapologetic. Hannah is not a conventionally cute girl, and - and I know I've said this before - I think what works for her is being fully herself versus adapting "cute" behaviors to attract guys. And I think her upfront, unabashed attitude might attract more guys than we'd think because at least she's not the same old, same old. She's also very sexual and into sex in an upfront way.

I, too, felt bad for Hannah when she called Paul Louis. She had him pegged correctly when she resisted letting him know. But everyone was telling her it was very important for a man to know. She was finally convinced, and it turned out not to be important to Paul Louis. That's difficult not to take personally under the circumstances, after everything she'd been hearing from men, no matter how predictable Paul Louis's response. I thought Paul Louis's reaction was written believably - not wanting it at all, but being very careful not to be a douche. You know he was waiting to be safely off the phone.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, Matias130 said:

It's how the "basic" girls among us try to be edgy, I think! That's mean, I know, but I also know a handful of people that fit this bill!

As for the actress, I am not sure I have enough info to judge her on her craft. Maybe her delivery is a conscious effort to make Marnie a very specific kind of annoying? It reminds me of January Jones--having not seen her in anything but Mad Men, I couldn't tell if she was a great actress or a terribly flat one who lucked out with the role of Betty...for whom she was perfection! 

As for Marnie's "smirk," I sometimes think it's just AW's face. Other times, it looks like she's about to laugh nervously, like when a little kid is asked to sing in front of people or something. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's how the "basic" girls among us try to be edgy, I think! That's mean, I know, but I also know a handful of people that fit this bill!

As for the actress, I am not sure I have enough info to judge her on her craft. Maybe her delivery is a conscious effort to make Marnie a very specific kind of annoying? It reminds me of January Jones--having not seen her in anything but Mad Men, I couldn't tell if she was a great actress or a terribly flat one who lucked out with the role of Betty...for whom she was perfection! 

As for Marnie's "smirk," I sometimes think it's just AW's face. Other times, it looks like she's about to laugh nervously, like when a little kid is asked to sing in front of people or something. 

You should check out January Jones in Pirate Radio and/or Love Actually (not to mention The Last Man on Earth).  Particularly in the two movies, you'll see her in a much different (non-Betty) light.

10 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

Well, I guess I'd question whether "cute, sexy and flirty" is the only way to attract a guy, or if there's one way to be that. I think that Hannah did most of her uncouth behaviors before she and Paul Louis hooked up. For me, the hook-up was easy to buy when I got a look at the cookie cutter types who were taking Paul Louis's surfing class, and also how they liked to show off how well they were doing or were looking for praise. After a certain point, that is going to be boring. How much fun would those women be to hang out with? Hannah's off the chain, but she doesn't care, and I could see that having appeal for a weekend fling. (And remember, Paul Louis's a little wild too - he's had group sex.)

If I remember correctly, she also seemed to be closer to Paul Louis's age. She's outspoken, confident, has her opinions, but is also wild. She is up for going with the flow and having a good time. I don't mean to stereotype, but dudes have done that stuff - thrown up, fallen down, spilled stuff on themselves. I'm sure Jean Louis has done or seen similar a time or two - it's just a little less common seeing a girl do it, because if a girl is looking to hook up (which Hannah didn't seem to be until it happened - another thing that was appealing, IMO) she might be trying to be "cute, sexy and flirty" instead of herself. Hannah was being herself. She also didn't come across as "trouble." You know - steer clear of that girl because she's a mess! She came across as very confident and unapologetic. Hannah is not a conventionally cute girl, and - and I know I've said this before - I think what works for her is being fully herself versus adapting "cute" behaviors to attract guys. And I think her upfront, unabashed attitude might attract more guys than we'd think because at least she's not the same old, same old. She's also very sexual and into sex in an upfront way.

I, too, felt bad for Hannah when she called Paul Louis. She had him pegged correctly when she resisted letting him know. But everyone was telling her it was very important for a man to know. She was finally convinced, and it turned out not to be important to Paul Louis. That's difficult not to take personally under the circumstances, after everything she'd been hearing from men, no matter how predictable Paul Louis's response. I thought Paul Louis's reaction was written believably - not wanting it at all, but being very careful not to be a douche. You know he was waiting to be safely off the phone.

Maybe this is just me being anything but a wide-eyed twenty-something, but, after Hannah's talk with Jean Louis, I wanted to grab her and tell her to find a lawyer and have Jean Louis sign away his rights to this baby now, while he's so sure he doesn't want to be bothered.  Otherwise, a few years from now when he starts feeling broody, she could very well get a knock on the door and find herself blindsided by a custody battle.  Of course she'd also be giving up any right she might have had to demand any financial support for the child, but I don't think that's something she would ever need or want to do anyway.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, lunaseas1122 said:

I think Williams is limited, but I don't seem to think she's as terrible as most here. She was effective in "Get Out", basically playing a Marnie-type, or maybe what Marnie wishes she was: a pretty young thing born into great privilege, with some darkness and ugliness beneath the pretty exterior.

The bolded part sounds exactly like Allison Williams herself, rather than Marnie.

• Love 6
On 3/27/2017 at 11:19 AM, pbutler111 said:

Did anyone (or everyone) else grok that the scene with Dill turning up on Elijah's doorstep was lifted, pretty much whole, from the movie "Notting Hill", with Julie Roberts turning up at Hugh Grant's door to escape the paparazzi after a nude photo scandal?

Wow. You used one of my favorite words....grok. What you said made sense and now that I've thought about it, it does seem a bit Notting Hill...but oh the way you said it...clap clap clap! 

• Love 1

I'm just assuming that Shoshanna moved back to Japan at some point off screen. Maybe Ray will meet up with her there in the last episode and they can open up an international chain of coffee shops!

• Love 2
On 3/27/2017 at 6:56 AM, Eyes High said:

I'm so sick of these magically wise randos bestowing insight: magical tea set lady, magical pawn broker guy, even the magical Athena Dante (described in the Inside the Episode as Elijah's "spirit guide" at the audition). Using random characters to enable the main characters to make important realizations is a hallmark of terrible writing (not to mention the whole Magical Negro trope). Too bad, because I quite liked this episode otherwise. I'm glad that Elijah is getting more of a storyline of his own.

THIS! I wanted to like the character of Athena but something about it was bothersome and uncomfortable for me - and it was definitely the trope you're talking about! 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I'm just assuming that Shoshanna moved back to Japan at some point off screen. Maybe Ray will meet up with her there in the last episode and they can open up an international chain of coffee shops!

At the risk of repeating myself (I am) they should open a Cat Cafe. I miss Shosh in these episodes. 

• Love 3

You are right, that Hannah is unapologetically herself, yet I see practically zero charm in her true self. For example, I found it so incredibly immature and middle-schoolish by pretending she injured her arm to "get out of surf camp" ... and then explaining to the nurse that she is here at surf camp because its her "job". I think it is so much more refreshing to hang out with people who are open minded to doing things that are a little out of their comfort zone. The fact that she is "very sexual and into sex in an upfront way" is what attracts these guys. I dont mean that a girl has to be cute/sexy/flirty all the time to attract someone, but I def think she should tone down unclassy behavior that would make anyone run the other direction - like spilling drinks repeatedly, stripping down naked in front of total strangers in a borrowed wetsuit - which by the way could even be illegal for indecent public exposure.

• Love 5
On 3/27/2017 at 0:17 PM, dmc said:

Her mom was really cavalier about that no...she doesn't by any means have to help her daughter but I am surprised she wouldn't knowing that judgment will be on her credit for 7 years.

I think they have been doing a good job in showing that Marnie really is her mother's daughter in a lot of ways.  Mom is narcissistic and delusional in her ways too. It is pretty funny that she jumps the second she sees an opportunity to grab a singing gig.  Hee. The apple really doesn't fall too far...   

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Matias130 said:

You are right, that Hannah is unapologetically herself, yet I see practically zero charm in her true self. For example, I found it so incredibly immature and middle-schoolish by pretending she injured her arm to "get out of surf camp" ... and then explaining to the nurse that she is here at surf camp because its her "job". I think it is so much more refreshing to hang out with people who are open minded to doing things that are a little out of their comfort zone. The fact that she is "very sexual and into sex in an upfront way" is what attracts these guys. I dont mean that a girl has to be cute/sexy/flirty all the time to attract someone, but I def think she should tone down unclassy behavior that would make anyone run the other direction - like spilling drinks repeatedly, stripping down naked in front of total strangers in a borrowed wetsuit - which by the way could even be illegal for indecent public exposure.

I just realized Hannah is like a thinner younger version of Melissa Mcarthy's character in bridesmaid, without the moxy  She is a stock character that is often used for comedic purposes, like "who the heck would ever find this attractive?", but in this show's world she is irresistible.  I do not just mean to men, most people end up really liking Hannah with few exceptions.  I remember her birthday party had a ton of people attending. 

I too find Hannah's behavior boorish and gross (this is more unappealing to me then her looks), but it never holds her back.  When she had the advertising job, I remember one cute guy going out of his way to take care of her when she got drunk (the one she accused of only wanting a fat friend).  In this world, in five seconds of meeting her, Dill has his face in her lap bawling his eyes out.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Wow. You used one of my favorite words....grok. What you said made sense and now that I've thought about it, it does seem a bit Notting Hill...but oh the way you said it...clap clap clap! 

Thanks!  It's so nice to finally be loved for my vocabulary rather than just for my stunning beauty. 

3 hours ago, qtpye said:

I just realized Hannah is like a thinner younger version of Melissa Mcarthy's character in bridesmaid, without the moxy  She is a stock character that is often used for comedic purposes, like "who the heck would ever find this attractive?", but in this show's world she is irresistible.  I do not just mean to men, most people end up really liking Hannah with few exceptions.  I remember her birthday party had a ton of people attending. 

I too find Hannah's behavior boorish and gross (this is more unappealing to me then her looks), but it never holds her back.  When she had the advertising job, I remember one cute guy going out of his way to take care of her when she got drunk (the one she accused of only wanting a fat friend).  In this world, in five seconds of meeting her, Dill has his face in her lap bawling his eyes out.

I look at Hannah in kind of the same way I look at someone about my size and shape walking down the street wearing something skin tight and/or with lots of rolls of fat exposed:  I'm at once horrified and incredibly jealous that I can't live my life so utterly unconcerned about what others might think of me.  I wouldn't want to be Hannah, but I would absolutely love to have even a fraction of her complete confidence in herself and lack of concern for other people's opinion of who she is.

• Love 7

This was a nice episode. Loved seeing Andrew Rannells do his thing. I didn't know he could sing like that. I thought it was going to be some singsong-y rendition that was fair-to-middling and maybe a little embarrassing. But boy he came alive. His voice was full and clear. I kinda think it was too good for the character of Elijah, whom we've never seen sing or show any real chops (not even dancing, really), but I think it's one of those things where Andrew takes singing and dancing seriously, so he can't help but sound good.

I liked seeing Dill again, too.

The scene with Hannah telling Paul-Louis about the baby was...ugh. OK, I know I keep making this point, but has anyone else noticed how this show never cuts straight dudes any slack? The show let Elijah off the hook for telling Hannah she was going to be a horrible mother, and they were bad on each other's dicks the next episode. They even made Dill seem somewhat sympathetic.

Paul-Louis basically shrugging at Hannah having his kid was...ugh. I don't know if I'd say unrealistic, because that's what I want to say, but it didn't feel right. I mean, I'm sure he doesn't want a kid, but I don't know. That scene felt like how a chick would tell her girlfriends the conversation went and not...how it actually went. Guys can be stupid and dopey and put their foot in the mouths at times, but usually we're not as insensitive and detached as we come off sometimes. It just felt hacky and one-dimensional.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 27bored said:

This was a nice episode. Loved seeing Andrew Rannells do his thing. I didn't know he could sing like that. I thought it was going to be some singsong-y rendition that was fair-to-middling and maybe a little embarrassing. But boy he came alive. His voice was full and clear. I kinda think it was too good for the character of Elijah, whom we've never seen sing or show any real chops (not even dancing, really), but I think it's one of those things where Andrew takes singing and dancing seriously, so he can't help but sound good.

If you didn't know he could sing like that, then you should really enjoy this:  

• Love 4

Paul-Louis basically shrugging at Hannah having his kid was...ugh. I don't know if I'd say unrealistic, because that's what I want to say, but it didn't feel right. I mean, I'm sure he doesn't want a kid, but I don't know. That scene felt like how a chick would tell her girlfriends the conversation went and not...how it actually went. Guys can be stupid and dopey and put their foot in the mouths at times, but usually we're not as insensitive and detached as we come off sometimes. It just felt hacky and one-dimensional.

I felt like in real life, neither person would be off the hook so easily.  Even if Hannah wants to raise the baby alone, and he wants nothing to do with the kid, things like child support exist for a reason. 

And seriously, did Zosia Mamet piss off Lena Dunham or something?  I feel like we've been inundated with Marnie, but Shosh showed up for an episode or two then vanished.     

• Love 4
On 3/27/2017 at 9:45 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Did someone post that the actress who plays Elijah's Henri Bendel coworker is in the cast of Hamilton? Because in my opinion her acting is pretty mediocre or even bad. 

After seeing the dance with basketballs portion of the audition, I now really want someone to produce a White Men Can't Jump musical. 

Late to the thread, but I just watched the episode and was trying to figure out how this familiar-looking but slightly wooden actress made it onto this particular show. 

(Turns out I saw her in Hamilton, I'm just not enough of a theater nerd to have realized it on my own.)

• Love 1
On 3/27/2017 at 6:45 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Did someone post that the actress who plays Elijah's Henri Bendel coworker is in the cast of Hamilton? Because in my opinion her acting is pretty mediocre or even bad. 

She played the role of Peggy Schuyler/Maria Reynolds in Hamilton.  It wasn't a super-big acting role, and primarily required her to have a big voice (which she does).

• Love 2

I liked seeing Dill again, too.

The scene with Hannah telling Paul-Louis about the baby was...ugh. OK, I know I keep making this point, but has anyone else noticed how this show never cuts straight dudes any slack? The show let Elijah off the hook for telling Hannah she was going to be a horrible mother, and they were bad on each other's dicks the next episode. They even made Dill seem somewhat sympathetic.

While his response was pretty douchey to say the least, it doesnt surprise me at all that a chilled out pothead would react like that, unfortunately for Hannah. I do think that Hannah is in somewhat of a lala land right now, she might think right now that she doesnt need or want his help, but I bet with 1000% certainty she will righteously demand money from him sooner or later.
Also, when Marnie was doing the pawn shop scene, I couldnt help but feel like I am watching an actress acting, which I rarely notice when I watch TV or movies. I also felt that way when Hannah told Adam she was pregnant and not telling the father, and with Elijah's coworker who seemed to have memorized her lines pretty well.

• Love 2
On 3/28/2017 at 10:17 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Someone put an 'is' in your 'nuance'!

Overblown sense of entitlement is a defect of character, it doesn't have to be based in reality.  I know plenty of people from humble beginnings who are entitled, just as I know plenty of stupid people who think they're geniuses.

I think Marnie's overblown sense of entitlement probably comes from a combination of being raised by a narcissistic mother who values the superficial over substance, and from being pretty, and used to always getting favored treatment because of it.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

I think Marnie's overblown sense of entitlement probably comes from a combination of being raised by a narcissistic mother who values the superficial over substance, and from being pretty, and used to always getting favored treatment because of it

That is a great assessment of the character.  She is just another entitled pretty woman who has been told the world would be her oyster and probably was for a while.  I can imagine Marnie being kind of popular in high school and having things more or less go her way.  Now, she is in her late twenties divorced from an addict, and broke as hell.  I imagine she will move in with Hannah, who could use help in the future raising the baby.

The show will end where it started in the premier...Hannah and Marnie spooning each other in a shared bed.

2 hours ago, eeyore said:

We're supposed to want to look like Marnie and I think society positions us to be suspicious of confident women who do not have Alison Williams' body and don't seem to want it. 

I do not understand how this became the ideal.  I was as skinny as Marnie and it really did not make me more popular with the fellas.  In fact, I might get more attention at the age I am now, even though I have put on some weight.  I get that skinny women are models and skinny women can be beautiful, but I think men are attracted to a much wider range...it is too bad women are so hard on themselves.

I bet you most men would find Jessa's body to be the most attractive out of the four, with Shoshanna coming in a close second.

• Love 4

Now, she is in her late twenties divorced from an addict, and broke as hell. 

I find it fascinating how far Marnie has fallen since the beginning of the series.  At the beginning, she had a stable job, a decent, if boring boyfriend and was probably the most stable of her group.  Now she's divorced from a marriage that barely lasted, reduced to pawning junk jewelry, getting evicted from her home and living on her mother's couch. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3
On 3/29/2017 at 6:50 AM, qtpye said:

Melissa McCarthy's character in "Bridesmaids" was so much deeper than Hannah.  McCarthy's character was a buffoon on the surface, but quite wise and compassionate under the surface, not to mention the fact that she'd amassed a fortune through wise investments and a great work ethic applied to a great career; Hannah has none of that.

• Love 3
On 3/27/2017 at 11:10 AM, CofCinci said:

Some actors are great on Broadway but do not fare well on television.

I remember during Buffy, James Marsters (who had a theater background) said that it can be difficult for stage actors to adjust to tv/film acting because they're used to being told to make things bigger so that even people in the last row of the theater can get what they're trying to convey, but on tv/film the cameras are much closer so the actors can be more nuanced.

Fun fact about Jasmine Cephas Jones (aside from being the daughter of Ron Cephas Jones who you may know from The Get Down, Mr. Robot, Luke Cage, or most recently This Is Us) - she and Andrew Rannells were in Hamilton together. He replaced Jonathan Groff for five weeks (he was filming the Looking finale in San Francisco) in 2015.

Andrew said that thanks to the timing of his Hamilton appearance, he got to meet Obama when he came to see the show. His plan was to tell Obama that he knew Malia (who had interned at Girls the summer before:

The basketball musical was based on a show that Andrew Rannells auditioned for! He also talks about why he chose a Smash song for the episode:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:47 AM, novemberjenny said:

I LIVE for Elijah. Him reciting Kevin Costner's monologue from Bull Durham was hilarious. "That was amazing. Did you write that?" DEAD. 

Marnie's jewelry being worthless was SO spot-on. She is unbelievably self-centered and possibly one of the most unlikeable female TV show characters in long memory. Of course she would believe that she owned a locket from Wild Bill. I don't believe in her come-to-Jesus moment at all. And Allison Williams needs to eat a cheeseburger, yo. She is waaaaay too skinny. [Def. not trying to start a discussion on female body image, I just think she looks unwell and way too veiny.]

Also, I think the one-liner winners of the night were "I know you're at the beginning of a very exciting and illustrious water-skiing career." & "Hey uh, you know a name I always thought was cool for a boy was Grover" ?

Didn't miss Jessa, Adam or Ray one bit. 

Marnie is one of the best written TV characters I have seen in a long time. I base that on the emotion she inspires -- good and bad alike. A two dimensional character would leave people indifferent and Marnie certainly does not inspire indifference.

And Obviously Allison Williams brings her to life in a realistic manner. But I must say-- this is the first episode I noticed how skinny the actor is. Wow. What's up? Is she on a hunger strike in real life? I think I am worried about her for reals.

I have enjoyed every season of Girls for different reasons. I am going to miss this show when it's gone. I leave it up to Lena Dunham to tell the story she wants to tell and have it end that way she wants it to end. I am OK with that.

• Love 2
On 3/26/2017 at 11:19 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

I would watch a show about Elijah and Athena trying to become successful in theater, etc. in New York.

Seriously! Can we start a petition somewhere?

• Love 2
On 3/28/2017 at 8:41 PM, tennisgurl said:

Or Cat Cafes!

• Love 1
On 3/29/2017 at 7:47 PM, pbutler111 said:

If you didn't know he could sing like that, then you should really enjoy this:  

You can say what you like about the show and the actors.  Everyone has likes and preferences.  But, this is what pure talent looks and sounds like.  

• Love 3
On 3/27/2017 at 5:15 PM, pbutler111 said:

In the previews, when they showed Adam outside, on the phone, and then Jessa leaning out the window, also on the phone, I had the distinct impression they were in the midst of "ending up together."  I agree, Hannah and Adam ending up together would be unnatural and really dissatisfying.

I would definitely NOT be dissatisfied if they ended up together, but it's a little Disney to end it like that. My guess is that Adam will commit to supporting her thru the pregnancy and leave it open ended with them with hints about starting again. But he leaves Jessa and she lets him go peacefully, making room for her and Hannah to recover. 

Can't wait until the movie ;)

4 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

You can say what you like about the show and the actors.  Everyone has likes and preferences.  But, this is what pure talent looks and sounds like.  

Elijah is my spirit animal. He really deserves a show. SO much talent!

2 minutes ago, Dutchgirl said:

I would definitely NOT be dissatisfied if they ended up together, but it's a little Disney to end it like that. My guess is that Adam will commit to supporting her thru the pregnancy and leave it open ended with them with hints about starting again. But he leaves Jessa and she lets him go peacefully, making room for her and Hannah to recover. 

Can't wait until the movie ;)

I can't imagine a universe in which Lena Dunham wraps up this show with Hannah in a relationship with any man, including Adam.  This isn't Sex and the City.  Carrie doesn't have to wind up with Big.  Carrie could, conceivably, figure out that she can take care of her own damn self and be happy doing so.

• Love 1