Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: New Best Friends

halgia
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, EllenC said:

Maybe the junkyard kids did nothing but text each other pre-zombies? They really don't know how to talk except in emojis and tweets? It's actually a deep commentary on modern life?

OK, I got nothing.

I find their compact speech refreshing, after suffering through months of Neagan using 100 words where 10 would have been plenty.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, econ07 said:

So does this mean that the boat owner is still out there? ... the one with the boots and the binoculars at the end of an earlier episode?

She wasn't the boat owner, but the boots and binoculars woman was the one Gabriel was holding a knife to during the fight.  Tamiel, or something (ridiculously fantasy world) like that.  (They said this on TTD.)  Speaking of ridiculous names, "Jadis" pinged familiar so I googled and yes, that was indeed the name of the white witch in the Narnia series.

I don't know if I want to carp too much on how silly the garbage gang are, if they can take out the Saviours, take out those monsters like Negan, Simon, and long haired dude, then I'm Team Trash all the way.  But the stupid posturing and stilted language are way over the top.  As everyone has noted, it isn't too long ago that the whole apocalypse started.  It's way too early for survivors to fall into Mad Max world.

Until the inevitable war, if the writers are going to spend the rest of the season spinning wheels with Rick going from community to community. being turned down by each, I'd rather watch Jerry make cobbler.  

Mmmm, cobbler!

8 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

It's ridiculous that everytime he comes to pick up the supplies this long haired jackass just harasses Richard for no reason at all.

No reason?  He can, that's why.  He's a bully, pushing around a guy who is obviously bigger, smarter, stronger, but is unable to fight back.  For now.

If nothing else, the episode was worth watching for the Carol/Daryl reunion.  I may have wept.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9

Stopped watching after last season, but tuned in tonight just to see Carol and Daryl's reunion,  - Melissa McBride continues to be the best part of the show, so, of course, she probably won't be seen again until the Season Finale...

Unlike others here, I don't think the show is planning to kill Carol...ever. She's a fan favorite and the best actress on the show, and TPTB know it.

I do think the show was setting up two things for the end of the season - Carol finding out what happened to Glenn/Abe, getting her homicidal groove back, and trying to convince Ezekiel to join the fight against the Saviors.  I fully expect Carol to return to Alexandria either with or without the Kingdom crew to save the day, cause you just know Rick is going to mess that up...

Edited by leto
  • Love 16

The cat statue was a call back to season 3 episode 12 "Clear".  When Michonne went back into the walker infested cafe to retrieve the photo of Lori that Carl had dropped she came out with a cat statue.  She lost it when the Governor attempted to take over the prison and forced CDB to abandon it.

• Love 9

This episode was....well that happened. 

Did enjoy the Daryl and Carol reunion.  I get why he didn't tell her about Glenn and Abraham.  Daryl is still processing his guilt and torture and cares deeply for Carol. 

I have a question what ever happened to the original Tron guy who found Carol and Morgan at the end of last season? The red haired one? Did he morph into Richard?

And add my love for Jerry.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I agree with the brother/sister, but not "big" or "little." Carol is a few years older than Daryl. Fans wanted Beth, who was young enough to be his daughter, to hook up with him but a woman about three years older than he should be a mom figure to him. I guess the double standard, along with freshly shaved armpits for women who have been living rough for a month, will survive an apocalypse.

Hey, I will shave my armpits no matter what! 

Oh, wait...wrong forum. Sorry.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

This episode was....well that happened. 

Did enjoy the Daryl and Carol reunion.  I get why he didn't tell her about Glenn and Abraham.  Daryl is still processing his guilt and torture and cares deeply for Carol. 

I have a question what ever happened to the original Tron guy who found Carol and Morgan at the end of last season? The red haired one? Did he morph into Richard?

And add my love for Jerry.

He's still there :) He was with Ezekiel and Jerry when they showed up at Carol's house right before Daryl did. Add me to the Jerry love train too.

• Love 2

I think I could have done better with that writing. Especially if we are ripping off familiar themes and movies  

Jadis: We will help with your quest... but first... you must bring us- ...(dun dun duh) A SHRUBBERY!!!  Ne! Ne! Ne!

• Love 12

Ummmm....so did I accidentally change the channel at some point during this episode? Was one of the Mad Max movies playing on the ScyFi channel? Did I sit on the remote and have some weird Freaky Friday moment, where my show merged with some other show? Because....what WAS that? 

It was like they were marking off a checklist of every futuristic, dystopian movie trope. Bad haircuts? Check. Drab, nondescript clothing? Check. Metal everywhere? Check. Bizarre, created-just-for-this-story names? Check. Gladiator style fights? Check. 

And, frankly, as thrilled as I am that knock-off Mila Jovovich is agreeing to help Rick, I just can't with another new group. Too.Many.Fucking.Groups. I get that they're going to need A LOT of man power to take on Negan, but it's taking a lot of handwaving to believe that there are this many functioning groups all within a day's drive from ASZ. Negan isn't onto these people yet? They've never heard of HIM? Just how far away ARE they? 

Overall, the entire junkyard gang segments had a totally different tone than the rest of the show, than this show has EVER had, and it just felt really off and unlikeable. The only good thing to come out of it was replacing the ugly cat statue with the barbed wire cat. FLOVED that callback!

As much as Daryl and Carol have been way too sullen, mopey, emo, eeyore, etc. for me lately, I did enjoy their moments together. I've always adored their friendship and I thought it was really great when Daryl chose not to tell Carol what really happened with The Saviors. Here's the thing, I GET Carol's mental state right now. I understand that she's afraid of losing herself entirely if she continues to exist the way she was existing. And I appreciate that she's not trying to force her new way on anyone else, but instead trying to isolate herself (could have moved a bit further away, though, c'mon.) My issue with it is, it A. seemed to happen out of nowhere. And B. it feels way too similar to Morgan's journey. MORGAN went crazy after losing his son and become a ruthless killing machine and once the Cheeseman rescued him, he was afraid he'd lose himself again if he didn't cling to this mantra. So I just feel like the storylines are way too similar and redundant at this point. I don't know, it just bugs. But again, the Daryl-Carol scenes were sweet and lovely. 

Richard is pretty much dead to me now. I had really thought he was going to be a character that I'd like. And I get that he wants to fight the Saviors. But he can't manipulate people like that. It's just wrong. And not very knightly to put a woman's life at risk. If he disagrees so badly with Ezekial's choices, he should just leave and join one of the other groups. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Ummmm....so did I accidentally change the channel at some point during this episode? Was one of the Mad Max movies playing on the ScyFi channel? Did I sit on the remote and have some weird Freaky Friday moment, where my show merged with some other show? Because....what WAS that? 

It was like they were marking off a checklist of every futuristic, dystopian movie trope. Bad haircuts? Check. Drab, nondescript clothing? Check. Metal everywhere? Check. Bizarre, created-just-for-this-story names? Check. Gladiator style fights? Check. 

And, frankly, as thrilled as I am that knock-off Mila Jokavich is agreeing to help Rick, I just can't with another new group. Too.Many.Fucking.Groups. I get that they're going to need A LOT of man power to take on Negan, but it's taking a lot of handwaving to believe that there are this many functioning groups all within a day's drive from ASZ. Negan isn't onto these people yet? They've never heard of HIM? Just how far away ARE they? 

Overall, the entire junkyard gang segments had a totally different tone than the rest of the show, than this show has EVER had, and it just felt really off and unlikeable. The only good thing to come out of it was replacing the ugly cat statue with the barbed wire cat. FLOVED that callback!

As much as Daryl and Carol have been way too sullen, mopey, emo, eeyore, etc. for me lately, I did enjoy their moments together. I've always adored their friendship and I thought it was really great when Daryl chose not to tell Carol what really happened with The Saviors. Here's the thing, I GET Carol's mental state right now. I understand that she's afraid of losing herself entirely if she continues to exist the way she was existing. And I appreciate that she's not trying to force her new way on anyone else, but instead trying to isolate herself (could have moved a bit further away, though, c'mon.) My issue with it is, it A. seemed to happen out of nowhere. And B. it feels way too similar to Morgan's journey. MORGAN went crazy after losing his son and become a ruthless killing machine and once the Cheeseman rescued him, he was afraid he'd lose himself again if he didn't cling to this mantra. So I just feel like the storylines are way too similar and redundant at this point. I don't know, it just bugs. But again, the Daryl-Carol scenes were sweet and lovely. 

Richard is pretty much dead to me now. I had really thought he was going to be a character that I'd like. And I get that he wants to fight the Saviors. But he can't manipulate people like that. It's just wrong. And not very knightly to put a woman's life at risk. If he disagrees so badly with Ezekial's choices, he should just leave and join one of the other groups. 

I agree with everything you say, and I know you're a long time viewer, but let me remind you of something: Rick, in the jail, was prepared to turn over Michonne to the Governor. 

Yes, we (most of us) love Carol. But we know her. Richard doesn't. He sees her as a wacky broad living alone in a shack. He probably thinks she has little to no combat value. So, if she needs to be sacrificed for the greater good...well, so be it.

Please understand. I don't agree with Richard, but I can see how he might think that. And what makes him different than Rick with Michonne in the prison?

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 15

I guess Carol and Rosita are both suffering from PTSD, but are handling it in different ways.  Carol thinks if she isolates herself that will solve the problem, and Rosita wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

If Richard wants to start a war with the Saviors so badly, why didn't he just shoot long haired idiot Savior?  Why try to drag Daryl into some complicated plan setting Carol up to be killed so they can go to war with the Saviors?

I can't get on board with Morgan's sermonizing when Negan is bashing peoples' heads in with a bat, but Jesus and Richard, and all the other people who seem to want to follow instead of taking action themselves also annoy me.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 3

I'm not gonna judge Richard too harshly either because he doesn't know the Carol that killed the Wolves, blew up Terminus, and took out 3 Saviors. All he knows is some woman that wants to be left alone. That type of person isn't valuable to anyone.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

I agree with everything you say, and I know you're a long time viewer, but let me remind you of something: Rick, in the jail, was prepared to turn over Michonne to the Governor. 

Yes, we (most of us) love Carol. But we know her. Richard doesn't. He sees her as a wacky broad living alone in a shack. He probably thinks she has little to no combat value. So, if she needs to be sacrificed for the greater good...well, so be it.

Please understand. I don't agree with Richard, but I can see how he might think that. And what makes him different than Rick with Michonne in the prison?

You make a good point. I guess it was harder for me to see it that way because by season 3 I knew Rick very well and could empathize with him more, whereas I am not that attached to Richard yet. There are definitely similarities. Although, at the end of the day, Rick had a crisis of conscious and changed his mind. Would Richard have?

50 minutes ago, Haleth said:

No reason?  He can, that's why.  He's a bully, pushing around a guy who is obviously bigger, smarter, stronger, but is unable to fight back.  For now.

Exactly. I think a lot of Negan's guys are typical bullies - losers who are emboldened by belonging to a large group. They have the power, but they can sense that Richard is actually a strong and capable guy who doesn't typically put up with BS. So guys like that will take every opportunity to put a Richard in their place. 

2 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

If Richard wants to start a war with the Saviors so badly, why didn't he just shoot long haired idiot Savior?  Why try to drag Daryl into some complicated plan setting Carol up to be killed so they can go to war with the Saviors?

Because if he did something right then and there, he would have been putting everyone at that meeting at risk, including his King and young Benjamin. Whereas the Carol plan only puts one person at risk, one person that he doesn't really know and likely sees as somewhat over living anyhow. Not saying I agree with Richard, just trying to understand his perspective. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

Funniest line this episode? Daryl telling Carol that Jesus took him to the Kingdom.

Right? That was awesome. I forgot about that. 

8 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I can imagine that NR is being inundated with death threats after referring to Carol as Daryl's 'mom'.  But that's what she is.  She may not be old enough to be his mother (Daryl is obviously no spring chicken) but the relationship is clearly mother/son or big sister/little brother.  There isn't a lick of sexual tension between the two of them.

I don't see mother/son AT ALL. I don't even really see brother/sister. To me, they are two very close friends who COULD possibly "go there", but I hope they don't. I think the actors have good chemistry together, period. And it could possibly morph into romantic chemistry without being weird for me (much less weird than the Daryl - Beth stuff), but I would prefer they keep things as is. I enjoy watching such a strong male-female relationship that isn't based around sex. 

4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Rosita is now being a jerk to Tara.  One of these days she is going to diss someone who will actually dish it back to her.

My current fantasy is that she mouths off to Carl and he just shoots her. Getting real sick of your shit, Rosita. 

• Love 7

This thread is so much more entertaining than the show.  You guys are on fire!  LOL.

10 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

Poor Seth Gilliam.  He must lie in bed muttering 'I used to be on The Wire.  Now I'm getting cussed out by zombie-lovers'.

Sigh.  Everytime I see for Father Gabriel I can't help but think of Carver on The Wire being super pissed, hopping up on that car and saying "You do not get to win, We Do!" 

9 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

These new communities all have a schtick. You'd think there would be more groups similar to CDB -- just a collection of people surviving together. But no, they have to have a theme. The Junkyard Dogs are the worst.

I hate it that CBD seems to be almost the most normal people of all in context.  We have either come across these super naive groups who are so protected from the effects of the ZA that they are trying to recreate a utopia or feral groups who are so out of it they embracing extreme dystopia.  And all of them seem to be under the thrall of some psycho leader.  Say what you will about Rick, outside of Deanna, who seemed to be the most functional, Rick he is the most normal of the bunch.

24 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

I think this is a very apt comparison.  I will say I don't hate Richard because he has no loyalty to Carol and arguably Rick should have had much stronger loyalty to Michonne.  But I do think there might be a slight difference in that Rick & Co were in full scale war with The Governor and he saw turning over Michonne as a way to stop it -- sacrfice on to save many deal.  Michonne was a critical element in the Woodbury v. Prison mess.  Whereas Richard seems to be trying to use Carol to jump start open war with Negan -- sacrifice one to get a LOT more people killed before it all ends.  Unlike Michonne who was an avowed enemy of the Gov., Carol has no relationship with Negan and would be nothing but sacrificial pawn in something she had no place in.  I don't like either men using women in this way, but at least the motivation behind using Michonne is grounded in something intrinsic to the specific conflict they were in.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 7

First of all, I don't know for sure if Jadis and her people had guns or how many. So, my premise starts on a slightly wobbly plank. But I do know she said that their philosophy was something like "we pick up, but we don't interfere." Which sounds like a mash-up of Star Trek's Prime Directive.

But at the end she tells Rick to "bring them guns, lots of guns." Now, does this mean that she's going to shit-can her own prime directive when she gets the guns? Well, why? Just because bad-ass Rick took out Winslow?

If they are "gatherers" why are they suddenly impressed by a "hunter?" Why will they suddenly be changing gears? And am I right -- is that what they'll be doing? (Assuming there's no treachery involved.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

WhoTF risks life and limbs to turn a zombie into a worth-proving pincushion!?  "What can we possibly do to create a test against which we prove people's intentions and worth to us??  Oooh, yeah, got the perfect solution!

You used too many words.  It was probably more like, "How make test, prove intentions? Walker gladiator." with as little inflection as possible.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, magpye29 said:

You used too many words.  It was probably more like, "How make test, prove intentions? Walker gladiator." with as little inflection as possible.

You're right, I should have abbreviated it more like a short-hand text or terribly structured social media blurb.

• Love 2

The whole garbage people thing felt like the show had an idea for an aesthetic they wanted to create but couldn't come up with any idea how that community would live or eat or actually make sense even within its own universe and finally said WTH, we'll have Rick fight a Hellraiser zombie in a giant trash pile and no one will care.    They're probably all stinky black (red) shirts in the coming fight with Negan anyway.  I did like the season 3 callback to the cat statue.

Every single year the show has people convinced it's about to off Carol and every single year they zig on that when everyone's expecting them to zag.  I'm not that worried either.  I honestly would have been surprised had Daryl told her the truth after they got that oh so truly lovely reunion and not continued to drag this out.  There are still six episodes left to go in this half season.  Clearly, Carol and Morgan and the Kingdom too will eventually come on board but if they line them all up now then what?  They'll have to introduce another 20 or 30 groups or give Negan another 90-minute episode to speechify at Eugene to fill the time between now and the season finale.

Carol is the gunslinger.  She's Clint Eastwood's character in Unforgiven, who's gone off to live quietly after years of committing violence and mayhem and insisting that that's not who he is anymore.  But that is who he is because it's a part of him too and he's eventually drawn back out for a weary sort of vengeance because he has to.  I do think it's interesting that Carol says she left so she wouldn't have to care about anyone and watch them die, yet now she's got the Kingdom boys forcing their way in despite how much she may protest she doesn't want them so she'll have to care about them too.  I have no idea if Ezekiel thinks he's courting her or what he's doing, but he's just lovely doing it and Jerry as his sidekick manages to make me smile every time he's onscreen.

Daryl was better in this episode than he's been in awhile, and I can only attribute that to his scenes with Carol and Morgan.  Reedus has always only been as strong as his scene partners and they're two of the best.  Carol and Daryl truly love each other as one of the great beating hearts of the show, and I don't know that it even matters what the nature of the relationship might be.  There's lots of different kinds of love and they both clearly find strength and resolve in whatever it is.  Daryl may be sniping at Morgan and trying to push him into something he's not ready to do, but it was telling that Morgan sees through him too and immediately understood WHY he didn't tell Carol the truth.   His threat to Richard may be the most lines he's ever had in a single scene and I like that the show at least didn't drag that particular discovery out.

I get that Richard doesn't really know Carol and only sees her as a means to an end.  I get that he's feeling increasing pushed by the asshole Savior at the drop and he doesn't believe this is going to end well for him or anyone.  But he was basically advocating roadside terrorism for whatever car might be coming down the road, whether it be Savior or from one of any of the 417 groups we now appear to have in this relatively small area.  He also has no way of knowing if the Saviors' retribution would stop with the most immediate and obvious source or whether they'd finally decide now is the time to take a ride inside the gates of the closest community even if that community clearly isn't ready to fight yet.  He's also apparently unaware that they have a standing policy of taking out a bystander instead of the perpetrator.  So he was endangering everyone to try to force the issue.  I did find myself wondering if Daryl would have leveled the same objections if Richard's intended patsy would have been some rando in the woods named Bob or Sue instead of Carol or if his brain just stopped right there when he suspected it might be her.

• Love 11

Speaking of, Winslow was a horrible name for that thing.  But considering the inferred overall level of literacy & intelligence of the group, not all that surprising. 

I would have went with Captain Stabby, myself.  Swordy LaForge maybe?  Slicer&Dicer-then-Biter??  Gotta say, don't know who his tailor is, but he sure did look sharp.

• Love 4

Funny about the Jadis -- queen of Narnia connection, because she reminded me a bit of Tilda Swinton. 

We need to get going and fight already. I need to see our group kick some ass instead of being kicked down and being everyone's bitch. 

• Love 2

I know it sounds stupid to say this since they are living in a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE, but it’s like this show has lost all sense of reality. I used to be okay with not knowing how these people survived without a realistic food/water source or what happened to people who lost their last pair of glasses (seriously I wear glasses and cannot SEE without them) or heck even those communities where there does not seem to be electricity but the women’s hair is always styled but the writers have completely lost the plot now. I mean does anyone remember that episode when the group was so desperate for food and shelter that they were breaking into houses and Carl started to eat dog food? How did we get from that…to this? Cosplay, a terrible CGI tiger and bringing poor , delicate Carol fresh cobbler?! I don’t even understand the purpose of it all anymore. I’m lost and it seems the cast is as well. They are phoning it in and it’s sad to watch.

• Love 16

The Queen of the dumpster divers, Jadis, seemed like she was amish before the apocalypse, her english not so good and everyone else seemed like they have Marfan syndrome, tall and thin. They don't seem entirely loyal, like they might help Rick but whats to prevent them from "taking" everything once it's done? (aside from the fact that we know they'll all perish in the fight, cuz Rick gets people killed)

Good grief is Daryl 5 years old? "why you go?"

Love Jerry with every fiber of my being!

• Love 1

Ok, I'm truly confused now.  Why are the men losing their shit over Carol? Why do they care about this one woman?  I just don't get it.  Does she smell like bacon? 

That Jadis junkyard woman reminded me of Mila Jovovich.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

First of all, I don't know for sure if Jadis and her people had guns or how many. So, my premise starts on a slightly wobbly plank. But I do know she said that their philosophy was something like "we pick up, but we don't interfere." Which sounds like a mash-up of Star Trek's Prime Directive.

I believe her exact words were, "We take, we don't bother". Well, your haircut is bothering ME. Next time try taking some sharpened shears. 

9 minutes ago, double-elvis said:

I mean does anyone remember that episode when the group was so desperate for food and shelter that they were breaking into houses and Carl started to eat dog food? How did we get from that…to this? Cosplay, a terrible CGI tiger

Personally, I think the CGI tiger is much better than the CGI shot of Rick with miles of junkyard behind him. 

• Love 10

These fully formed societies like the Junkyard Gang, with them being literally in lock-step in dress, speech and choreography sure do come together pretty quickly. If we use Judith as a way to measure the passage of time, Jadis has been able to pull these folks together, weed out the short, squat ones, spend countless hours designing and making the latest in apocolypto-couture in just a couple of years. Very impressive feat considering the Ricksters can't even stay put in one place for more than a few weeks without fucking everything up

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Tamiel, or something (ridiculously fantasy world) like that.  (They said this on TTD.)  Speaking of ridiculous names, "Jadis" pinged familiar so I googled and yes, that was indeed the name of the white witch in the Narnia series.

Maybe they are LARPing! That would explain a lot.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I believe her exact words were, "We take, we don't bother". Well, your haircut is bothering ME. Next time try taking some sharpened shears. 

Personally, I think the CGI tiger is much better than the CGI shot of Rick with miles of junkyard behind him. 

Not to get picky, but Jadis's hair style, though ugly (IMO), was NOT something you roll out of bed with. Meaning: It takes time and tools to make it that ugly (IMO). And what about the color? Again, not realistic. Daryl = Realistic (but stinky) hair. Rick = Realistic (but always-wet) hair.

And Jadis and her people NEVER ran into Negan's boys? Is that correct?

I wish TPTB would provide us with an aerial map showing us where every camp is located. Of course, they would never do that because then we'd see how improbable some of the story lines are as far who's where and when. But a map will come in handy when war breaks out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ShadowSixx said:

I'm not gonna judge Richard too harshly either because he doesn't know the Carol that killed the Wolves, blew up Terminus, and took out 3 Saviors. All he knows is some woman that wants to be left alone. That type of person isn't valuable to anyone.

Right and yet as he described her to Daryl he kept describing her as more fierce, scarier, "ballsier", braver, bigger bad ass than anyone.....I mean it was weird! He was willing to sacrifice her and yet he somehow knew she is a modern day, zombie apocalypse approved Xena.

Regarding how almost all the Dumpster Divers were tall and thin, I think the majority of them are normally zombies on the show (I just did a all seasons binge, do that and you'll begin to recognize certain people play zombies over and over, it really stands out during a binge).

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

Regarding how almost all the Dumpster Divers were tall and thin, I think the majority of them are normally zombies on the show (I just did a all seasons binge, do that and you'll begin to recognize certain people play zombies over and over, it really stands out during a binge).

I believe a casting call actually went out for tall, thin extras.  (My friend does a lot of extra work in the area.)

OK, I actually liked the ingenuity of the walker with spikes, although I did feel bad for the team of dumpster divers that were tasked with holding it down and getting the helmet on.  What a job to be assigned!

I just assumed the guy, Winslow, had all that gear on before he dropped dead of whatever and turned. What I don't understand is how taking the time to watch and wait for someone else to gather provisions, and then follow and attack them to get it, is "not bothering." It is bothering, just not in the same way! Ugh, I just can't stand this new gang one bit.

I also found Richard's seemingly abrupt jump to "Oh well, guess we gotta sacrifice Carol" to be odd. OK, he's fed up and all that shit but he's always seemed strong and fairly level-headed. It just felt like something was missing between his proposing a plan to her and his deciding she is just collateral damage. Even the really casual way he was talking about it to Daryl was super-weird.

It's ridiculous that everytime he comes to pick up the supplies this long haired jackass just harasses Richard for no reason at all. He's the only one causing problems and the one in charge of the pick ups seem to not like it as well. He wants it to stop and if I remember correctly he didn't like it the first time Richard and long hair got into it. Punishment shouldn't be Richard no longer coming it should be that long hair needs to stay his ass back at the base because he's the one causing all the trouble. The one in charge seems like he just wants the exchange to go down in peace.

I agree. That Gavin seemed to be pretty exasperated by Long Hair's (Jared's?) antics, and not too much of a hard-ass--more like a "Just doin' my job" type. I feel like it would benefit him to let Jared get a bit of a beat down that he then has to explain to Negan. Negan's obviously a real kook but he does seem to prefer the "system" to go smoothly-- I wonder if he'd not particularly like a doofus like Jared fucking up a simple collection meeting?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, shanndee said:

I'm just preparing myself for TPTB to kill Carol. They are telegraphing it from miles away. That last hug between Carol and Daryl felt like the final good bye. I will be pissed to see the only representation of a woman over 35 eliminated from the show. Especially now that they have transformed her from a strong, self sufficient survivor to a vulnerable old woman in need of protection. She had been a complex character who had an interesting arc, now she looks like the next sacrifice at Negan's alter.

I hope I'm wrong. I really want to see someone close to my demographic represented on a popular show. In a capable manner. But I guess it is now time to going back to being invisible in popular media.

Not many people in this situation are capable of living on their own, setting traps, going out and tracking. Carol is still all those things as far as I can see. It's the men in her life who can't accept it and won't leave her alone. The first time I saw her get emotional and vulnerable is when she saw Daryl which I felt like is very true to both of their characters.  

• Love 15

The Junkyard gang makes no sense to me.  She told Rick multiple times that they can't be bothered, that they take.  So why would Rick take her threat seriously about not getting them guns?  If they can't be bothered then what the hell are they going to do?  It sounds like if they can't steal from you then they won't risk anything.  Like the boat for example.  They didn't want to risk anything so they waited for someone else to do it.  So why would they try to fight a group led by the guy who just killed the franken-zombie?

Nevermind that they just told Rick they have no guns.  How smart are these people that they just let Rick and his group go so they can fetch guns for them?  How are you going to inflict any retribution if they fail in there task?  It seems to me if Rick and company have guns and fail to deliver on their contract then Rick and company could just shoot these idiots.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, MV007 said:

The Junkyard gang makes no sense to me.  She told Rick multiple times that they can't be bothered, that they take.  So why would Rick take her threat seriously about not getting them guns?  If they can't be bothered then what the hell are they going to do?  It sounds like if they can't steal from you then they won't risk anything.  Like the boat for example.  They didn't want to risk anything so they waited for someone else to do it.  So why would they try to fight a group led by the guy who just killed the franken-zombie?

Nevermind that they just told Rick they have no guns.  How smart are these people that they just let Rick and his group go so they can fetch guns for them?  How are you going to inflict any retribution if they fail in there task?  It seems to me if Rick and company have guns and fail to deliver on their contract then Rick and company could just shoot these idiots.

Maybe I shouldn't be bringing this up here, but it's my understanding that the Trash Can Kids aren't in the comics. If that's correct, I suspect that means they are a way for TPTB to draw the war to a quicker start. (And we know that when out writers are on their own, they aren't the best.)

TPTB had so effectively stripped Rick & crew of not only material (guns, food), but of mental edge and spirit. Hilltop is not all that helpful (I've never considered them to be, except for Jesus). And Zeke...well...

What Rick really needed were people, army ants if you will. AKA redshirts. And he needs guns -- and I think we all know where they will be coming from.

• Love 3

There's no way that a group of socially interacting individuals would behave that way after 3 years of (presumed) isolation. I could see one person talking in that manner if they went without talking or socialization for many years, but I assume they'd catch on pretty quick after coming into contact with another individual.

Even if the rules are that they're not allowed to speak with anyone (even themselves), except in special circumstances like this, I'd still believe they'd talk quite a bit more logical than this. A trash dump seems like a logical place, sorta, to hide from the zombie apocalypse. You could hide your smell from zombies at the onset, most people would instinctively avoid at the onset (and you can recruit, warily, the like-minded survivors that turn up), and as confirmed in the episode, there'd be little reason to leave at first, as much of what you would need would be nearby (food & shelter, at least. Water might be an issue depending on location).

The only way that any of this makes any sense is if, like Ezekiel, Jadis and her clan are putting on a show for Rick (and presumably other survivors they run across). Maybe to pump up how formidable they are in a Mad Max sorta way. But there is *no* indication of pretense here (we got an explanation from Ezekiel right away, and Jesus acknowledged first thing that his name is Paul).

----

Daryl should've stayed with Carol. He doesn't have to sleep with her or whatever (get your minds out of the gutter), as I'm sure there's room on that couch and she could probably benefit from a watch system at night. She might be Superwoman and all, but she's not that perfect. Plus, Daryl can protect her from half-baked false flag operations. And here's a conversation for you, writers:

Carol: "Is everybody okay? Did the Saviors hurt anyone?"
Daryl: "I'm not going to lie. It's still Hell out there. I've been through things. We all have. But Alexandria's still up. Rick's still in charge. There's an agreement with the Saviors, but it won't end well. We've lost some, we've gained some. But you know all that already. I'll tell you more if ya want. But the past is past."

So, Daryl's going to the Hilltop now. After that, I assume he'll continue his tour of the Washington, DC metro area. Maybe Oceanside to convince them to give up their guns, and then the trash heap to engage in one-on-one conversations with their leader and impress us all with his innate speaking ability.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, I'm truly confused now.  Why are the men losing their shit over Carol? Why do they care about this one woman?  I just don't get it.  Does she smell like bacon? 

That Jadis junkyard woman reminded me of Mila Jovovich.

I have NEVER understood the Carol-appeal.  In my opinion the character is hateful, cold, selfish and self-absorbed to almost pathological levels.  That's why I think she must remind these guys of their moms because they've never treated the women they fuck this well.

Every time I think of the junkyard scenes, I start laughing.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

Maybe I shouldn't be bringing this up here, but it's my understanding that the Trash Can Kids aren't in the comics. If that's correct, I suspect that means they are a way for TPTB to draw the war to a quicker start. (And we know that when out writers are on their own, they aren't the best.)

TPTB had so effectively stripped Rick & crew of not only material (guns, food), but of mental edge and spirit. Hilltop is not all that helpful (I've never considered them to be, except for Jesus). And Zeke...well...

What Rick really needed were people, army ants if you will. AKA redshirts. And he needs guns -- and I think we all know where they will be coming from.

No doubt.  I see the narrative reasoning behind introducing a new group.  I just find the execution pretty terrible.

• Love 1

What made the Garbage Pail Kids story so bad was the dialogue.  It wasn't that many of them that it's implausible that they have managed to remain hidden from other groups. I barely counted 50. But they don't have a monkey in this circus. Are you that lazy that you would rather risk dying than go out shopping on a quiet afternoon? I guess it's a better deal than ASZ/Hilltop - all they got was eggs and a cow.

Let me see if I have this pyramid scheme correct - The Saviors are Mary Kay; they own everything, are quite rich and don't really have to work. They hold workshops and seminars to show you what will happen if you don't meet your quota. They get product from ASZ, The Kingdom and the Hilltop. ASZ gets product from the Hilltop. Garbage Pail Kids get product from ASZ.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

I have NEVER understood the Carol-appeal.  In my opinion the character is hateful, cold, selfish and self-absorbed to almost pathological levels.  That's why I think she must remind these guys of their moms because they've never treated the women they fuck this well.

Every time I think of the junkyard scenes, I start laughing.

Carol drives me insane on this show.  I never bought her as a bad ass but since they wrote her that way a few seasons ago, now I just want her to wake the fuck up.  This show isn't good enough to really delve into PTSD.  So I just want to be entertained and Mopey, whining Carol is my least favorite Carol.

• Love 3

I thought he made it clear that he understands that Carol is pretty bad-ass, despite her not wanting to be one at this time. I think his lack of concern for potentially sacrificing her was less about him thinking she's a weak liability than it was that she's not cooperating with his plan.

• Love 3

Carol and Daryl together again is life.  That reunion was epic.  I don't care what their relationship is - they are just gold together.  And MMB is just perfection in this role.  I hope she realizes pretty darn soon that she CAN kill evil people and still be herself.  The killing isn't her character - it's just something she has to do in order to keep those she loves alive.

Jadis is the poor man's Mila Jovovich, isn't' she?  I guess when you join the Garbage Pail Kids, you get to pick a new name.  Guess we know which books Jadis enjoyed most pre-za.  Tamriel probably read The Hobbit a lot as a child. 

Jerry is life - his smile makes me smile.  Which means  he's wearing a red shirt, which makes me sad.  And now I want cobbler.  Peach cobbler with lashings of cream.  I like Diane - I hope we get to see more of her.

I'm still liking Rosita, even though I know most of the rest of you want her to die.  She's at least interesting.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I saw it as "you, Hedwig look guy.  Glue metal on thing".   Then he got a jar. 

• Love 1

I have one question: Why is Morgan staying with Zeke? It's not because of Carol, right, because she told him, basically, to get lost?

I can't remember: when the shit hit the storm was he LEAVING Rick's group for good? I mean, if that is the case, since he owes Rick a little bit, and when he heard about Rick's problems with Negan, I'd think he's want to go back and try to help out (in a non-violent way, of course. Maybe he could make cheese.)

55 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

I'm not gonna judge Richard too harshly either because he doesn't know the Carol that killed the Wolves, blew up Terminus, and took out 3 Saviors. All he knows is some woman that wants to be left alone. 

Right and yet as he described her to Daryl he kept describing her as more fierce, scarier, "ballsier", braver, bigger bad ass than anyone.....I mean it was weird! He was willing to sacrifice her and yet he somehow knew she is a modern day, zombie apocalypse approved Xena.

In the midseason ender, Richard was trying his let's persuade Ezekiel shtick out on Carol and Morgan and said something about how she probably didn't know anything about violence.  It was all both of them could do to keep from rolling on the floor laughing as Morgan kindly disabused him of that notion.  Knowing that one of Morgan's favorite subject of conversation is Carol, it probably prompted Richard to start asking a few followup questions.

He was originally hoping to get her on board to convince Ezekiel herself.  But since she's not interested in playing for their team at the moment and it's clear that Ezekiel values her for whatever reason, he was going to Plan B to use her as a sacrifice in a poorly thought out false flag.

In retrospect, it does seem like Daryl might have mentioned to Carol that she's going to want to keep an eye on Richard for that.  Or even told Morgan.  The power of his threat when he's not on the premises to enforce it is only going to go so far when they have the more immediate threat of the Saviors bearing down on them.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

Jerry is life - his smile makes me smile.  Which means  he's wearing a red shirt, which makes me sad.  And now I want cobbler.  Peach cobbler with lashings of cream.  I like Diane - I hope we get to see more of her.

I'm still liking Rosita, even though I know most of the rest of you want her to die.  She's at least interesting.

Jerry dies, we riot!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

Not to get picky, but Jadis's hair style, though ugly (IMO), was NOT something you roll out of bed with. Meaning: It takes time and tools to make it that ugly (IMO). And what about the color? Again, not realistic. Daryl = Realistic (but stinky) hair. Rick = Realistic (but always-wet) hair.

Totally. She had a two-tone thing going on, which is work enough for an accomplished stylist. In the ZA? Not happening. 

38 minutes ago, Boofish said:

Let me see if I have this pyramid scheme correct - The Saviors are Mary Kay; they own everything, are quite rich and don't really have to work. They hold workshops and seminars to show you what will happen if you don't meet your quota. They get product from ASZ, The Kingdom and the Hilltop. ASZ gets product from the Hilltop. Garbage Pail Kids get product from ASZ.

LOL, Mary Kay makes sense, given all the dye jobs, perfectly manicured brows, pouty/stained lips, etc. I'm just glad Negan hasn't gotten into LuLaRoe. If I see Dwight rocking some Satanic chihuahua leggings next week I will finally quit watching.

11 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

I have one question: Why is Morgan staying with Zeke? It's not because of Carol, right, because she told him, basically, to get lost?

I can't remember: when the shit hit the storm was he LEAVING Rick's group for good? I mean, if that is the case, since he owes Rick a little bit, and when he heard about Rick's problems with Negan, I'd think he's want to go back and try to help out (in a non-violent way, of course. Maybe he could make cheese.)

I think Morgan left to follow Carol. Maybe saw himself as responsible for HER leaving, and wanted to make sure she was okay. She got hurt, Tron Knights found them, brought them both back to the Kingdom. Carol ended up leaving, but I think Morgan felt that his philosophy would be better tolerated there than at ASZ, so he's stayed around to counsel Zeke and stick-train Ben.  

• Love 3