Type keyword(s) to search

The Voice in the Media

• Start Topic

“The Voice” is going forward with live shows despite the coronavirus pandemic halting studio production. The live playoffs kick off on Monday, May 4 with individual performances by the 16 artists from the teams coached by Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, John Legend and Blake Shelton. In addition, the winner of the 4-way Knockout will be revealed and perform as well.

Due to the outbreak of Covid-19, each of the artists will sing for America’s votes from their home. All the coaches and host Carson Daly will also be homebound. Voting will kick off at the end of the evening and continue overnight.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2020/the-voice-schedule-season-18-coronavirus-covid-19/

So much for all those dreams of singing in front of a big live audience for the first time.

I think this is a terrible option. Just waiting would be better. I don't want to see people singing into their hairbrushes and jumping on their beds.

• Love 2

The Voice and American Idol have completely different formats, but Idol did this Sunday night with the top 20 singing from their homes.   It was actually a good show; dare I even say I liked better?   Because the band - if they chose to use it - did not drown out the vocals like they do onstage.  And because it was such a challenge for the singers, it kind of showed who could roll with the punches and deliver versus those who couldn't.  Hopefully, Voice can do as good a job with the home performances.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

The Voice and American Idol have completely different formats, but Idol did this Sunday night with the top 20 singing from their homes.   It was actually a good show; dare I even say I liked better?   Because the band - if they chose to use it - did not drown out the vocals like they do onstage.  And because it was such a challenge for the singers, it kind of showed who could roll with the punches and deliver versus those who couldn't.  Hopefully, Voice can do as good a job with the home performances.

Those are good points especially in regards to the band. 

• Love 2

Hey Voice fans!  If you ever wonder if these singers actually make it beyond the show?  Well, former winner Craig Wayne Boyd,  former runner up Adam Wakefield, and former American Idol finalist Casey James have come together to form what I would call the first reality singing competion "supergroup" called "Texas Hill".   Go check out their debut single release "Darkest Sky"......it's pretty good.

• Love 2

So Gwen is back in the Fall replacing Nick.

Not gonna lie. I find that very disappointing. I guess Nick will be touring or something. I can't believe he would be one and done.

• Love 1
On 6/16/2020 at 4:51 PM, vb68 said:

So Gwen is back in the Fall replacing Nick.

Not gonna lie. I find that very disappointing. I guess Nick will be touring or something. I can't believe he would be one and done.

Really disappointed that Nick is not returning next season.   Not crazy about Gwen, but if she must return, would prefer that one of the other judges step away.  

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Not Gwen she's terrible as a coach her coaching advice is, I can help you bring out your personality on stage. I don't know Nick and his brothers music but he was a breath of fresh air to a show that has become stale. I think they need to rotate the coaches maybe have a 3 season limit for each coach, I like Blake he's witty and has a great sense of humor but he's been there way too long.

• Love 4
On 6/20/2020 at 3:43 AM, MsTree said:

Without Blake, the show would not be worth watching.

To each their own, but I think a season with all coaches who have been there less than 15 seasons would be nice.

• Love 4

I didn't know Blake had a shtick. Maybe the love/hate with Adam, but Adam has been gone for several seasons, so I'm at loss re: any shtick.

IMO, Blake is funny with his quick wit and likeable personality. To me, he's the anchor of the show...although Kelly is giving him a good run for his money.

• Love 7

Ugh, Gwen is back as a judge this fall. Can't stand her and her "I want a cute girl to dress up" schtick. Plus I find Blake less humorous and charming when she is around. Not to mention having coaches who are engaged creates a conflict of interest. So given that, plus the fact that it will be mostly/all Zoom, I think I will skip a season. 

• Love 2

I think there should always be a two male/two female dynamic.  So if Nick is coming back....either John or Blake needs to take a season off.  And since Blake has been on every season.....hey buddy, take some time off and hang out with Gwen for awhile.....we could have a Reba McIntyre sit in for you.

• Love 5
On 11/19/2020 at 12:43 PM, Swenson said:

I think there should always be a two male/two female dynamic.  So if Nick is coming back....either John or Blake needs to take a season off.  And since Blake has been on every season.....hey buddy, take some time off and hang out with Gwen for awhile.....we could have a Reba McIntyre sit in for you.

Without Blake, there would be no dynamic...at least not one I'd want to see.

Blake is the heart & soul of the Voice. His humor & quick wit make the show extremely entertaining. I doubt I'd watch without him.

• Love 7
On 11/29/2020 at 8:26 PM, DanaK said:

FYI, this Tuesday’s results show will be shown on Thursday to make way for a re-scheduled NFL game

It sounds like the results show is back to tomorrow night since the NFL game has been moved again to Wed afternoon

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 2:04 AM, MsTree said:

Without Blake, there would be no dynamic...at least not one I'd want to see.

Blake is the heart & soul of the Voice. His humor & quick wit make the show extremely entertaining. I doubt I'd watch without him.

And don't forget, this is "Blake Shelton's The Voice." How could they continue without him? Lol

• LOL 1

Ryan Gallagher's manager released a statement denying that Ryan broke covid protocols, which caused him to get kicked off the show. Part of it reads "As you can imagine, there is more to the story here than the show has announced and at an appropriate time and place of our choosing, Ryan will respond to these damaging allegations”. Why not just respond right now instead of waiting?

https://ew.com/tv/the-voice-ryan-gallagher-denies-breaking-covid-19-protocols/

• Love 1
2 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Ryan Gallagher's manager released a statement denying that Ryan broke covid protocols, which caused him to get kicked off the show. Part of it reads "As you can imagine, there is more to the story here than the show has announced and at an appropriate time and place of our choosing, Ryan will respond to these damaging allegations”. Why not just respond right now instead of waiting?

https://ew.com/tv/the-voice-ryan-gallagher-denies-breaking-covid-19-protocols/

I thought the same thing when I saw this. What exactly is an “appropriate time and place” in their minds? Because I’m pretty sure the appropriate time and place was last week when he still had a shot at people actually remembering who he is.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 12/4/2020 at 2:21 PM, Jennabelle88 said:

And don't forget, this is "Blake Shelton's The Voice." How could they continue without him? Lol

It's ok because I rarely watch it past the blinds anyway.  Most of the singers are country and I'm not into that   in fact....that's the issue with Idol as well.  More southern viewers vote....they vote for country....I mean if you list all the Voice and American Idol winners going all the way back,  they're from Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina.....it goes on and on.....say the year Adam Lambert should've won Idol....people complained and pushed for Kris Allen because he's wholesome all american country....that's where I really stopped watching it.

Edited by Swenson
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Swenson said:

Most of the singers are country and I'm not into that   in fact....that's the issue with Idol as well.  More southern viewers vote....they vote for country....I mean if you list all the Voice and American Idol winners going all the way back,  they're from Texas, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina.....it goes on and on.

Most of the singers are not country and just because someone is from southern doesn't mean they are country. Blake has won 7 times and not even all of his wins have been country. I don't think any other coach has won with a country singer.

Maybe 4 out of 18 are not that great of odds for country singers.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, xfuse said:

Most of the singers are not country and just because someone is from southern doesn't mean they are country. Blake has won 7 times and not even all of his wins have been country. I don't think any other coach has won with a country singer.

Maybe 4 out of 18 are not that great of odds for country singers.

Kelly won with a country singer.   Jake Hoot or whatever his name was.  Gwen probably wins this season with a country singer.  All the coaches realize they can't beat Blake unless it's with a country singer.  And even if Blake stepped away.....his chair would go to a country singer who would win with a country singer.

Edited by Swenson
7 hours ago, Swenson said:

Gwen probably wins this season with a country singer.  All the coaches realize they can't beat Blake unless it's with a country singer. 

Gwen doesn't have a country singer and since Blake hasn't won every single season and with the exception of Kelly winning with a country singer than all the rest is non-country. So that still 10 times someone beat Blake with a non country singer. 5 out of 18 is still not alot of winners.

• Love 2

I doubt they would have booted the contestant off, unless he really did break covid protocol.  It’s unfortunate.  It’s not that difficult to do.  Especially, for the chance to be on The Voice.  

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Award for Outstanding Producer of Game & Competition Television

“The Amazing Race” (CBS) – Season 32
Producers: Jerry Bruckheimer, Bertram van Munster, Jonathan Littman, Elise Doganieri, Mark Vertullo, Phil Keoghan

“The Masked Singer” (FOX) – Season 3, Season 4
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Nailed It!” (Netflix) – Season 4

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” ( (Season 12)

“The Voice” (NBC) – Season 18, Season 19

• Love 1

The next season of The Voice will come with an extra dash of sweetener. Ariana Grande is joining the show for Season 21 as a full-time coach, replacing Nick Jonas, she announced Tuesday on Twitter.

“Surprise! I am beyond thrilled, honored [and] excited to be joining Kelly Clarkson, John Legend and Blake Shelton next season — Season 21 of The Voice,” Grande tweeted with a photo of her fancy new chair. “Nick Jonas, we will miss you!”

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

The next season of The Voice will come with an extra dash of sweetener. Ariana Grande is joining the show for Season 21 as a full-time coach, replacing Nick Jonas, she announced Tuesday on Twitter.

“Surprise! I am beyond thrilled, honored [and] excited to be joining Kelly Clarkson, John Legend and Blake Shelton next season — Season 21 of The Voice,” Grande tweeted with a photo of her fancy new chair. “Nick Jonas, we will miss you!”

I think it helps to not have the same coaches every season (Fall or Spring) so welcome news on that front

10 hours ago, LakeGal said:

Oh Hell NO!! After that clip I saw of her in that donut shop licking that donut and saying I hate America I'll skip season 21 thank you very much.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 3/30/2021 at 10:13 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

Oh Hell NO!! After that clip I saw of her in that donut shop licking that donut and saying I hate America I'll skip season 21 thank you very much.

It's been years, so I'd hope she's grown from that. Her handlers and she at least project the idea that she has. 

At times I've actually found her surprisingly witty and amusing. I hate to admit it. And she's a great vocal impressionist of other artists. 

But I admit there's still a cringe factor with her too. She may be able to do funny impressions, but I've never seen any true sign of humility in her.  She's got an uphill battle to convince me she's not a diva, in the negative sense. 

41 minutes ago, Ellee said:

Ariana Grande — getting 20 to 25 million to judge?????  Just read that.  It has to be wrong.  

It's probably not. 

Stupid Blake probably makes that by now too, I assume. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

It's been years, so I'd hope she's grown from that. Her handlers and she at least project the idea that she has. 

At times I've actually found her surprisingly witty and amusing. I hate to admit it. And she's a great vocal impressionist of other artists. 

But I admit there's still a cringe factor with her too. She may be able to do funny impressions, but I've never seen any true sign of humility in her.  She's got an uphill battle to convince me she's not a diva, in the negative sense. 

It's probably not. 

Stupid Blake probably makes that by now too, I assume. 

I think, emphasis on ‘think’ it said he and John are about 12 to 13 mil and Kelly at 15 but I skimmed it and focused on the 20-25 that Ariana is supposed to get.  

16 hours ago, Kromm said:

OR, her handlers just told her not to film herself doing dumb shit.

After Adam left I remember reading an article about him leaving and it said how much he was making on The Voice, and I don't remember the exact amount but I think it was like 20/25 million. These coaches make so much money doing 2 seasons in 1 year no wonder they stay forever. They put in very little work for the money they make on The Voice.

I read an article (don't know how true it is) that Snoop Dogg is going to be the advisor this season. I wonder how much money advisor get paid?

I so wish Blake would go away, and somebody like Carrie Underwood, Maren Morris, Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker, or Keith Urban got that seat. Or Mickey Guyton! Although she's just starting out, she's incredibly talented.

I'm kind of excited about Ariana being on this show, personally. I don't think it'll translate into me watching it long-term again though. Those days are gone; the show is just too boring for me. I think the last time I watched (and that was sporadically) was when MaKenzie Thomas was a contestant. I lovelovelove Kelly Clarkson and even she couldn't get me to watch this show weekly again. I do like Ariana though and I think she could do well. I remember being totally surprised to like Miley back when she came on; her stint on this show totally changed my opinion of her. And I like Ariana more as an artist than I ever did Miley...

I never saw any of Nick Jonas' season. And I like Nick Jonas, too! (Not so much the other Jonases.)

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 9:01 PM, incandescent said:

Katy Perry gets $25 million per season from American Idol. I'd guess Ariana's making at least that much.

Yeah, Katy's days at the top are mostly over, whereas Ariana is one of, if not the, biggest female artists currently. I think before Katy and Ariana, Christina Aguilera ($17 million), Mariah Carey ($18), and Simon Cowell ($33) had the biggest salaries of any judges on these kinds of shows. FWIW, from what I've read, I don't think even Katy Perry's team thought they'd get so much for doing Idol when they were haggling over price. Whoever was bargaining from ABC really overplayed their hand, lol.

When Adam Levine left, he was getting paid $15 million per season since it said he had signed on for two more seasons and lost $30 million because he was fired before they were filmed. Apparently Blake is making $26 million for two seasons, which means his per season salary must be around $14 million now.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I so wish Blake would go away, and somebody like Carrie Underwood, Maren Morris, Brad Paisley, Darius Rucker, or Keith Urban got that seat.

Oooh, Darius Rucker would be a great choice! I think his pop background might actually help him to have a well-rounded team as well. Keith Urban would be good, too. During his seasons on American Idol I really appreciated his vast musical knowledge.

• Love 5