Type keyword(s) to search

The Voice in the Media

• Start Topic

45 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Why did Gwen leave? Geez I can't stand Jennifer Hudson. I don't like Gwen either. I'm not easy to please huh!? Lol

They rotate the 2 center judges.   Gwen will be back and we will have to deal with the team of Blake and Gwen.  Not a good look for them or enjoyable for us. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
On 10/4/2017 at 3:44 PM, wings707 said:

They rotate the 2 center judges.   Gwen will be back and we will have to deal with the team of Blake and Gwen.  Not a good look for them or enjoyable for us. 

I can deal with Blake...just Blake. But NOT Blake and big red lips (Gwen). 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Miley told Howard Stern she is not schedule to return. It doesn't sound like she's done for good, just done for now. It makes sense she won't be on next season with Kelly, Adam, and Blake. I hope that they will bring back Christina the season after next (late 2018), but I could also them leaving their options open to see how Kelly does.

Nice!!!  That's good news.  She's 24.  She can do this for a while.  :)   And I love the energy she brings.  Agreed that she doesn't fit if Kelly is there.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Miley told Howard Stern she is not schedule to return. It doesn't sound like she's done for good, just done for now. It makes sense she won't be on next season with Kelly, Adam, and Blake. I hope that they will bring back Christina the season after next (late 2018), but I could also them leaving their options open to see how Kelly does.

Oh, good. I hope she returns again. I had wondered if they had put her off because her newest album didn't open that well on the charts. I wish we could get a season of Kelly and Christina together. I wouldn't mind if Usher came back, but I doubt he ever will. After he won, he seemed to lose interest; I was hoping the same would be the case for Alicia.

I have a feeling Kelly will be very well-received on this show. Being funny has always come naturally to her.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Oh, good. I hope she returns again. I had wondered if they had put her off because her newest album didn't open that well on the charts. I wish we could get a season of Kelly and Christina together. I wouldn't mind if Usher came back, but I doubt he ever will. After he won, he seemed to lose interest; I was hoping the same would be the case for Alicia.

I have a feeling Kelly will be very well-received on this show. Being funny has always come naturally to her.

I can't see Kelly and Christina on together unless Adam or Blake can't do a season. Christina being part Latina is just not enough diversity and I think a non-diverse panel would be an unforced error.

I had totally missed that Kelly already talked about some of the upcoming coaching changes and that was already posted in this thread. Kelly and Alicia sounds interesting. Kelly is hyper and Alicia is chill. I think that will balance each other out.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, vast wasteland said:

You know, I have always admired her way of approaching fame, but this made me a fan for life.

I remember this well, I watched it. She is special.  I have always admired her too, she is genuine in everything she does.  

On 12/17/2017 at 11:58 AM, dcinmb said:

Thanks for this link.

From the article above:

In fact, the producers never wanted to mimic “Idol,” even if it “blazed a path” for them in the TV landscape, Daly said. “We didn’t really create the show to create a celebrity musician or make people rich and famous. That was never really the goal of the show. We are proud to say that so many of the artists who have been on ‘The Voice’ in any capacity have quit their sandwich-making jobs and are doing well in music. And at the end of the day that’s winning, to us.”

Daly said this?  OMG. So, they don't want their winners to be successful, like Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson.......Please.  Don't insult my intelligence. Their coaches sound like fools going on and on about how The Voice is their path to super stardom.  It's beyond idiotic. I suppose that the producers, including Daly, are just too ashamed to admit that they don't do squat to help their contestants to success and basically are a scam for pretending otherwise.  (Just call it a glorified singing contest for money and be done with it.)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-voice-success-for-winners_us_5a0b545ee4b00a6eece4e116?utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=main_fb&utm_medium=facebook&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

To me, The Voice producers are their own worst enemy.  So very not impressed with how they run that show. And don't me started on how the Tweeter Save is unfair. 

The article describes how some of the coaches continue to support their team artists, after the show and that's nice, but, the show should a little more responsibility, if they are going to play it up that way. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
On 1/5/2018 at 3:42 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

So, they don't want their winners to be successful, like Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson.

I suppose that the producers, including Daly, are just too ashamed to admit that they don't do squat to help their contestants to success and basically are a scam for pretending otherwise.

And don't me started on how the Tweeter Save is unfair. 

The article sounds like they aim for success, not "superstardom".  And of your three, Hudson was not a winner on Idol.

“Pretty much all the winners are picked up,” [executive producer Audrey] Morrissey said. “There is choice amongst the label what they do with them, but we, as a television show, once they won, we’re not necessarily personally involved in their careers. We do everything in our power to prop them up, as we can, but that’s when it flips over to, really, the music business."

[Sawyer] Fredericks, for one, confirmed that “The Voice” producers have kept tabs on him and his career. “I don’t think it’s completely like I’m on my own. They’ve helped out quite a bit, and they’ve offered me to do stuff with the show,”

"Miley [Cyrus], famously, my God, she keeps in touch with everybody, is texting constantly.”

But,yes. the Twitter Save is completely unfair.

Edited by jhlipton
Added more quotes

That's right. Hudson, was not a winner on AI, but, did well and is now on their show (The Voice,) that's true.  I just meant that why would they not want to see their contestants reach stardom, success, whatever term is used.  Yes, their former winners can make it playing county fairs and local clubs, but, that's not how The Voice plays it up when they describe it on air. Some of their contestants already have that kind of career when they are approached by The Voice to come as a contestant.  Afterwards, they return to that.  I suppose the exposure helps some, plus there's the money and a car, but, it's not really THAT big of a deal in their career, if you look at it later on.  That's my issue.  Because, it could be.  I see the show as extremely misleading and down right hypocritical.

It's nice that Sawyer Fredericks is so positive. I think he's just being polite about The Voice.  It seems that he's doing pretty much what he did before he won The Voice.  I don't count what the individual coaches do to support the contestants counting as what The Voice does.  I's nice, but, it's not their responsibility.  A show with a better plan would be nice.   

I haven't seem much that The Voice does to help their winners and while The Voice seems to be proud of that fact, to me it's shameful and a missed opportunity. So, barring another talented artist from my home state, I'm done.   Except that I do think it might be funny seeing how all the contestants will want to be on Kelly Clarkson's team. lol 

Agree on Twitter save being unfair. (correction from, my Tweeter above.  lol)  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I haven't seem much that The Voice does to help their winners and while The Voice seems to be proud of that fact, to me it's shameful and a missed opportunity.

There's only so much the producers or coaches can do -- after the show, the winners are bound to the record company (which is why 2nd and 3rd place contestants often do better than winners -- they have the exposure but can go with whatever label, in whatever capacity they want).  I think the biggest complaint -- for The Voice, American Idol, and most other talent competitions -- is how the record companies handle the winners after the show, not with the producers of the show.

15 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

There's only so much the producers or coaches can do -- after the show, the winners are bound to the record company (which is why 2nd and 3rd place contestants often do better than winners -- they have the exposure but can go with whatever label, in whatever capacity they want).  I think the biggest complaint -- for The Voice, American Idol, and most other talent competitions -- is how the record companies handle the winners after the show, not with the producers of the show.

Maybe, they could take some notes from American Idol.  For all their faults, their success stories aren't too shabby. 

• Love 1
On 1/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe, they could take some notes from American Idol.  For all their faults, their success stories aren't too shabby. 

But almost all Idol's success stories came from the early seasons.  The winners of their final seasons have hardly done any better than those coming out of The Voice.  The music industry has changed dramatically over the past decade in ways that makes it much more difficult for contestants on these shows to make it big. 

The exception of course was the X-Factor USA, which though it failed as a TV show, succeeded in its objective of manufacturing pop stars.  Six contestants from Season 2 alone have made it on to the charts and one of them currently has the #2 song on the Hot 100.  I don't think its coincidental considering that two of the judges on that show are among the most successful music producers of our time and took over the careers of those particular contestants after the show was over.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 0:46 PM, viajero said:

The exception of course was the X-Factor USA, which though it failed as a TV show, succeeded in its objective of manufacturing pop stars.  Six contestants from Season 2 alone have made it on to the charts and one of them currently has the #2 song on the Hot 100.  I don't think its coincidental considering that two of the judges on that show are among the most successful music producers of our time and took over the careers of those particular contestants after the show was over.

Here's an idea:  have the head of A&R for four labels as the judges / coaches/ mentors.  By the end of the season, the winner will have a rapport with someone who can really help get an album out and sell it to the stations.

12 hours ago, yourpointis said:

jhlipton I don't know either way about the validity of that video, but I truly don't and never will believe any reality show is 100% authentic. 

It may not be 100% authentic, but there are several of the allegations can be proven false -- namely the voting, and the time with the coaches.

When JHud was voted off of American Idol, there was an uproar about people not getting through.  All the shows improved there voting process after that.  Moreover, the highest and lowest votes matched iTune sales fairly closely.

As for the judges, several contestants have said that they keep in touch, and Blake has taken several contestants on tour with him.  That doesn't sound like "just the camera" time.  The pros only do one or two songs each season, so the show is not about them. 

Only two winners on American Idol have achieved "super-star" status -- Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.  JHud came in 7th.  On the other hand, Cassadee Pope is doing at least as well as Adam Lambert.

Since we have at least three demonstrably false parts to the video, I feel safe in believing the rest is a crock as well.

We do know that the contestants' "story" is molded by the producers, so that much is "fake".  (But I skip over all but the singing anyway!)

This is a much more balanced, and much more believable article: ‘The Voice’ Is Great TV. It’s Just Not Always Great For The Winners.

• Love 1
On 2/10/2018 at 12:02 PM, viajero said:

I really don't like this.  It's too much of a game show gimmick that takes away from the ability of a contestant to choose the coach they'd really rather be with.

I totes agree!

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Personally, I think their faults are so horrible that I'd take The Voice's methods any day.

Idol is -too- connected with the winner as they have no choice over their contract and it is harsh to the performers and very lucrative to the producer.  It is so restrictive and unfair that, when I like someone, I root for them to come in at any position OTHER than #1.

The Voice gives a singer a showcase and a shortcut to getting the attention of producers. It gives them contacts in the industry and some of those people turn out to be very helpful to them (Blake, Miley, etc. Most of them, I think, if not all, have helped at least some of their team.)  Even things like giving advice when signing a contract is extremely helpful. I remember the Swon Brothers saying how much Blake helped them with that.

Unlike Idol, "The Voice" is more about actually helping the artists rather than exploiting them for financial gain by people behind the show.   Much  better for the artist, imo, even if they don't ever become a household name/superstar.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Padma said:

Personally, I think their faults are so horrible that I'd take The Voice's methods any day.

Idol is -too- connected with the winner as they have no choice over their contract and it is harsh to the performers and very lucrative to the producer.  It is so restrictive and unfair that, when I like someone, I root for them to come in at any position OTHER than #1.

The Voice gives a singer a showcase and a shortcut to getting the attention of producers. It gives them contacts in the industry and some of those people turn out to be very helpful to them (Blake, Miley, etc. Most of them, I think, if not all, have helped at least some of their team.)  Even things like giving advice when signing a contract is extremely helpful. I remember the Swon Brothers saying how much Blake helped them with that.

Unlike Idol, "The Voice" is more about actually helping the artists rather than exploiting them for financial gain by people behind the show.   Much  better for the artist, imo, even if they don't ever become a household name/superstar.

These are good points.  I just think that for whatever reason, the artists' successes were much more pronounced with AE.  Basically, they were responsible for super stars, whereas The Voice has no one to really claim great success.  I do give a lot of credit to people who are able to make a living with their music, but, scratching by, playing county fairs, struggling to put gas in the RV....well, that's pretty much what they did before The Voice and it continues that way.    So, I suppose there's a lot to be said about having contacts, getting advice from other artists, having support from people like Blake and Miley, but, what how does that translate into being financially secure and still a name that hardly anyone recognizes? 

• Love 2

I can't recall if the AI had a big cash prize for the winner.  I recall the record deal, but, not much more, except for the free cars for the top contestants. Of course, The Voice gets that now too.  The best thing about The Voice, imo, is the $100,000.00.  That's enough to really help a person, who hasn't had much or any income during the year.  They can at least, get a car and pay off some debt. But, as far as being a REAL stepping stone on the way to their career.......naaaay.  Not really.

8 hours ago, Padma said:

The thing I like about the Voice is they don't profit from the winner's career. AI producers contract own you, lock stock and barrel.

Which also means that they don't have as much incentive to do what they can to further the winner's career.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, viajero said:

Which also means that they don't have as much incentive to do what they can to further the winner's career.

True, but I'd choose a tv. showcase and artistic independence over what AI does. (Plus, being able to choose a coach. I'd choose one who's known for staying in touch with and helping his/her team.) Artistic independence cuunts for a lot.  If I were a very popular AI finalist, I'd be doing my best to finish F2 not F1.  On the Voice there's no downside to winning.

For those interested in finding out what the battle round pairings will look like, the 4 digital behind the scenes videos with each team are up on the Voice's Youtube channel.

Edited to say that a leaked battle is now up, if you are interested...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
On 5/11/2018 at 5:06 PM, AntAnn said:

Ugh, not excited to have jhud back :(

Not only am I not excited to have JHud back, I’m also worried about this combination. Kelly was fun and cute in a season with chill-ass Alicia and a relatively low-key Adam. Will that charm remain in a season with another showboat (and a potentially spazzy Adam)?  Imagine the times where Kelly has been like, “OH MY GOD, ALICIA KEYS, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!” and Alicia barely engaged with it. Now imagine how JHud will respond. Yeesh, I’ve terrified myself. ?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, netlyon2 said:

Not only am I not excited to have JHud back, I’m also worried about this combination. Kelly was fun and cute in a season with chill-ass Alicia and a relatively low-key Adam. Will that charm remain in a season with another showboat (and a potentially spazzy Adam)?  Imagine the times where Kelly has been like, “OH MY GOD, ALICIA KEYS, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!” and Alicia barely engaged with it. Now imagine how JHud will respond. Yeesh, I’ve terrified myself. ?

I agree.  Kelly is an extrovert and engages everyone.  I can see her bantering with JHud because she would not want to do otherwise and can't help herself.   I am shocked they asked her back.  I didn't get the idea that the rest of the cast liked her.  If felt strained to me; she was exhausting. 

I have only been watching the blinds and the final eliminations anyway, I am tired of it.  There is far too much niff naw with mentors and judges coaching.  

• Love 5

JHud is just not a good choice, imo.  I just can't.....oh well.....I keep trying to quit this show, but, it always seem to pull me back in. JHud is a good reason to leave it alone.  NOW, if they would STOP putting North Carolinians into the live playoffs, I would at least have a chance to part ways.  But, it seems like they can't do that for some reason.  If I have to endure JHud another season......please no...

• Love 4