Type keyword(s) to search

The Voice in the Media

• Start Topic

One of the reasons the Voice has less successful contestants compared to Idol is because the timeline doesn't allow the public to be attached to the contestants. Once you feel slight attachment, oops they are eliminated. Especially during the battles and knock outs when the public doesn't have a say at all. So why bother...

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3

GAVIN ROSSDALE
'SUSPICIOUS' OVER GWEN/BLAKE RELATIONSHIP

Gavin Rossdale is "suspicious" over estranged wife Gwen Stefani's story that she just became an item with Blake Shelton ... our sources say he just doesn't buy it.
Sources close to Gavin tell us he smelled something was up between Gwen and Blake before their marriage blew up. We're told he does not believe the timing of his divorce with Gwen and Blake's divorce with Miranda Lambert is coincidental.
We're told Gavin believes Gwen was painting him as a bad guy for cover ... he thinks she was worried he'd take her to the cleaners if he found out she had already hooked up with Blake.

And our sources say Gavin's gripes go beyond Blake. He can't believe she's calling him a control freak, because she demanded he NOT go on tour out of paranoia he'd cheat on her. He says she browbeat him into staying home, which greatly impeded his ability to make money. As one source said, "She just didn't let him work."
And finally, we're told he's indignant she recorded a "woe is me" song, "Used to Love You," in which she cries, "Nobody taught you how to love." We're told Gavin's scoffing at the lyrics, saying he was good enough for her for a long time.

Idol contestants have been mostly flops for awhile now.

S7 had 6 live weeks. S6 technically had 5.

In the original format, S2 had 6 live weeks, while S1 had 6 total live eps.

Edited by jjjmoss

I have a few faves, but I'll be damn if I can remember their names lol. With this show it's rush rush rush, declare winner and then tumbleweed rolling (regarding the winner's post show career) until the next blind auditions start. If I continue to watch this show, I'm going to have to keep notes.

I think after the WTF ending to season 2, the show tried to correct some of that rush in the live rounds. That included no longer eliminating someone from each team (which would mean a minimum of 4 artists leaving each week). Personally, I prefer to rush the live rounds a little more. They aren't as compelling as the blinds and the battles. I'd rather get rid of people 2-3 at a time rather than going through 10 weeks of slow eliminations. 

• Love 1

So, Blake was teasing his followers on social media that he'd have a "big announcement" today that no one would guess. (No, not an engagement). I read he and Gwen have written a song together so I'm wondering if they're going to perform it together tonight. That would be pretty fun, given their recent announcement. Hope so!

So, Blake was teasing his followers on social media that he'd have a "big announcement" today that no one would guess. (No, not an engagement). I read he and Gwen have written a song together so I'm wondering if they're going to perform it together tonight. That would be pretty fun, given their recent announcement. Hope so!

The big announcement turned out to be that he is hosting the 2016 Kids Choice Awards on Nickelodeon (and hoping to get slimed).

The big announcement turned out to be that he is hosting the 2016 Kids Choice Awards on Nickelodeon (and hoping to get slimed).

Ha! Thanks! He was certainly right that we'd "never guess". What a tease.

Oh please Gavin Rossdale!!! I won't presume to know what actually happened in anyone's marriage regarding cheating and when people did or didn't get together, but Gwen is NOT the reason you haven't had much of a career all these years. I know that Bush was more popular overseas, but was everyone really clamouring for a Bush world tour? I would venture to say that he had a career these last few years because he was married to Gwen. I remember when he was Gwen's advisor on the show and it seemed like the majority of the contestants had no idea who he was, musically at least. Anyway, that article smacks of someone laying the groundwork to get more of his spouse's money.

• Love 7

Anyway, that article smacks of someone laying the groundwork to get more of his spouse's money.

Yeah, that whole "impeded his ability to make money" came straight out of a lawyer's mouth, trying to justify why he should get half or more.

I watched the video of Blake getting slimed, it was cute. Nickelodeon should have Adam show up to slime Blake on the real awards show.

• Love 3

I never had any opinion of Gavin Rossdale because I'm not familiar with him and the last time he was Gwen's advisor, he was fine. However, if he really said all those things, what a load of bullshit. He's just pissed Gwen beat him to the bush in making a bitter love song about exes and capitalizing on it.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 5

http://www.etonline.com/news/175704_the_voice_what_you_didn_t_see_on_tv_from_blake_shelton_and_gwen_stefani_first_taping_as_couple/

'The Voice': What You Didn’t See on TV From Blake and Gwen's First Live Show as a Couple

Sometimes the best parts aren’t on television.

Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani taped their first live show of The Voice as a couple on Monday and there was zero mention of their new romance on the actual broadcast – that’s because all the best moments (the cute and often cheesy) happened when the cameras weren’t rolling.

• Love 1

I'm torn between being happy there were no overt mentions of the relationship and wishing we'd seen a little something. Bottom line, I'm very glad they kept it professional because being love-birdy would have been weird and awkward, but I wouldn't have minded a little tease from Adam or Carson.

• Love 3

Damn show is making me ship them. Damn you, Burnett. I'm better than this.

I thought I was too, but apparently I'm not. I loved that they were so professional (except for occasionally beaming at each other during the critiques ... aw), but wouldn't have minded a -little- something. Adam was kind of standing in for us, I felt, looking at them like it was so fun to see your friends had hooked up, but not wanting to overstep with any teasing and spoil it for them. (Pharrell, as usual, looked like he, perhaps, was on a different astral plane altogether, maybe even more detached and unexpressive than usual. But he and Gwen are good friends, so maybe he's just helping keep it all professional.)  Maybe we'll see a bit more interaction tonight when Blake's team is up.

• Love 3

It really does seem conveniently timed (as did the "No, we're not!" rumors before and during the fall show). Not sure I'm buying any of it either, but they're both fun on the show,, seem like two nice people and if they want to flirt or actually seem developing a closer relationship during The Voice, it'll be kind of fun to see, whether real or not.

I thought it was good thinking not to go to the CMAs together. Read on Yahoo this a.m. that Danielle and Cassadee both got good notices on the red carpet and that DB performed at the CMAs with Hunter Hayes.  Hard to believe she's 19 already. I still think she may become a much bigger star for the Voice, in time, than Cassadee or the Swons,

I'm several days behind with this, but I was just scrolling through a bunch of red carpet photos from the CMAs and I have to say that Blake really does stick with his contestants from The Voice.  It wasn't just Danielle and Cassadee that were there the other night but also RaeLynn, Meghan Linsey and Sarah Potenza.  Good for all of them!  Here are links to their red carpet looks for all who might be interested.

Danielle:

http://www4.pictures.stylebistro.com/gi/2015+CMT+Music+Awards+Arrivals+Vu4SG8x54O5l.jpg

Cassadee:

http://www3.pictures.stylebistro.com/gi/2015+CMT+Music+Awards+Red+Carpet+ZrWm8hwbdbRl.jpg

RaeLynn:

http://www2.pictures.stylebistro.com/gi/2015+CMT+Music+Awards+Arrivals+ZnBXgnpz_Bfl.jpg

Meghan:

http://www3.pictures.stylebistro.com/gi/2015+CMT+Music+Awards+Arrivals+Mm1QvcnkPrKl.jpg

Sarah:

http://www4.pictures.stylebistro.com/gi/2015+CMT+Music+Awards+Arrivals+oRcL6OpNuXRl.jpg

Those are good pictures but they were from the CMT awards earlier in the year, not the CMA awards. I saw Danielle, Cassadee, and Meghan at The CMA awards. RayLynn has been on tour with Miranda, so she might have been there too, and Gwen Sebaastion still sings back up I believe. Sometimes for Miranda, sometimes for Blake. I don't know how awkward that is, but I would assume it's not awesome.

I'm torn between being happy there were no overt mentions of the relationship and wishing we'd seen a little something. Bottom line, I'm very glad they kept it professional because being love-birdy would have been weird and awkward, but I wouldn't have minded a little tease from Adam or Carson.

I wasn't expecting anything overt and expected professional; however, it felt to me like they took pains to eliminate judge interaction at all during the live show and I thought that detracted from the show.  But maybe this is a phase I don't remember very well and its always like this.

However, this is still less disappointing to me than the other time stuff outside the Voice didn't make it onto the next live show after it happened:) For Shelton not to use every opportunity to go after Levine following his American Horror Story appearance when it set up so many jokes...

• Love 1

I kind of loved that interview, anonymiss.  That might be the nicest clip ever of Christina.  See - from the beginning on this show, I always suspected she had a good heart in her.

I appreciate your saying that. I've followed her since her debut at 16 and she was always, at least to me, very likeable and professional until the major upheaval in her life (first commercially and critically disappointing album, media turning on her, and divorce), so I always gave her the benefit of the doubt that she'd eventually return to this.

• Love 2

Blake Shelton Rescues Group of Strangers Stranded Near Oklahoma River for 2 Hours: "He Is a Hero

Without hesitation, Shelton tried to get the guys out with his truck. When that didn't work, he decided to pull out the big guns.

"He said he'd be back in 15 minutes with his tractor. He came back and got us out and chatted for a minute and talked to us about hunting," Bryar shared with E! News. "Blake is an all around good caring guy."

http://www.eonline.com/news/715953/blake-shelton-rescues-group-of-strangers-stranded-near-oklahoma-river-for-2-hours-he-is-a-hero

• Love 4

LOLOLOL. 

Apparently there's only gonna be 1 cut per week, until we get a semifinal of 9 cut down to 4. What in the world are you thinking, producers?

""THE VOICE" LIVE SEMI-FINAL RESULTS- America will vote to eliminate five artists and the final four will compete in the Live Finale."

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/nbc-primetime-schedule-11162015-monday-november-16-2015-sunday-december-13-2015

I guess going to 10-8-6-4-1 would have made too much sense.

Edited by jjjmoss
  • Love 2

What in the world are you thinking, producers?

Maybe they were taking criticisms like the one from Waving Feather at the top of the page:

One of the reasons the Voice has less successful contestants compared to Idol is because the timeline doesn't allow the public to be attached to the contestants. Once you feel slight attachment, oops they are eliminated

A slower elimination process does give you more time to get attached to your favorite.

• Love 1

The Voice 9 Semifinal – How 5 Contestants Will be Eliminated

Finalist and Team Blake Shelton member, Barrett Baber, in an effort to galvanize his fans, has explained exactly how the elimination will work in a Facebook post.

There are 9 of us left on the show. Only 4 make it to the finale. Here’s how they eliminate 5 people. The top 3 vote getters will automatically move on to the finals…The bottom 3 vote getters will automatically be eliminated from the show. HERE’S THE IMPORTANT PART: The middle three vote getters will all sing 1 song for the chance at the final spot in the final show. It’ll be just like the “last chance” scenarios that unfold at the end of each show Tuesday except with three people singing instead of two. WHO WINS WILL BE DECIDED BY PEOPLE ON TWITTER.

The 4th finalist will be determined by twitter Insta-Save. Only the middle 3 vote getters will have the opportunity to sing.

Oh that's what I assumed.

But will Braiden/Shelby/Zach be the 3 auto-cut like I predict?

This is my prediction.  It's the middle three that will be a toss up.  The only one I think is a lock for the top 3 is Jordan.  I would love to see Jordan, Jeffrey, Madi and Emily Ann/Amy in the top four.  

• Love 1

This makes me.... feel surrounded by rainbows and unicorns. I hate myself.

http://m.eonline.com/news/722611/blake-shelton-kisses-gwen-stefani-and-grabs-her-booty-on-romantic-night-out

The idea of Blake and Gwen dating makes so little sense inside my head, I can barely believe seeing a photo of them together.  My brain rejects it for some reason.

Apparently there not just still at it, but in Oklahoma and not just L.A.

http://www.people.com/article/blake-shelton-gwen-stefani-holiday-vacation-oklahoma

I will say while a lot of this is anecdotal as told by people seeing them in public, there ARE also a convenient number of videos and photos of them (I guess that Gwen herself is putting out there). 

Is it any surprise?  Ameriker responded to Blake, but Craig Wayne Boyd was the essence of Ho-Hum-Country.  He's not gonna get another deal. I'm sure he realizes this now, will self-produce and can hopefully milk the "Voice Champion" stuff he puts on his promo material to get a steady supply of gigs, but it will still be clubs, bars and if he's lucky small theaters.

Wait. Here's Blake at least trying to be somewhat real about how crap the record deal is anyway (not that Boyd brought any real strength to the table anyway):

• Love 1

Apparently there not just still at it, but in Oklahoma and not just L.A.

http://www.people.com/article/blake-shelton-gwen-stefani-holiday-vacation-oklahoma

I will say while a lot of this is anecdotal as told by people seeing them in public, there ARE also a convenient number of videos and photos of them (I guess that Gwen herself is putting out there).

If this is a still a publicity stunt (I honestly can't tell now), Gwen is putting in a whole lot of effort for it.

Blake always seems like such a nice man though, in general.

Honestly, I thought he was already married for years. I mean, whatever makes them happy but it is strange that they decided it's NOW to tie the knot. Lol.

It is probably for financial reasons.  Friends of mine married after living together for 25 years and that was why they did. 

It is probably for financial reasons.  Friends of mine married after living together for 25 years and that was why they did. 

If it had been earlier in the year I might have chalked it up to a gay marriage sympathy/protest "wait",but most of those folks got hitched already.

I had no idea who she was so I clicked on the link.  I see she played Curly Sue, something I never watched.  If that's all she's "known" for, it'll be like some other low-grade recognition people like Cassidy? and someone else I'm forgetting with the quirky-just-like-everyone-else voice that a bunch of people seemed to love.   So some people will be claiming their prior "fame" and fanbases should keep them off the show and bunch of other like me going "Who"?

• Love 1

Not comparable to Cassaddee IMO, who was coming to the Voice very shortly after her band Hey Monday! broke up. She had a sizeable fan base from them who were going to be engaged and impact the voting her season from the jump (similarly with Grimmie and her YouTube fan base).

Alisan Porter is more a novelty having this child acting background that might make her standout and have a little bit of a hook to differentiate herself amongst all the other auditions this season.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

Alisan Porter was not only the cute little curly haired girl on Curly Sue, but also one of the kids in the movie Parenthood. She played Taylor, the daughter of Steve Martin and Mary Steenbergen. 

PLEASE don't pick Adam. Pleasohpleaseohplease. I'm ready to throw things at my TV if she does. They need to make a rule preventing judges from approaching the singers until after they've named their coach. Approaching them to beg and plead is just nauseating and Adam is the worst offender. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars

E! online has put up Alisan Porter's audition for Monday's ep. When she started excitedly hinting about the voice days ago, I figure she had auditioned.

Yeah, and I think this honestly might be the single best audition they've ever had on the show. I agree with every word Adam said about the performance. She's doing the Linda Ronstandt arrangement of the song, and going up against people's memory of Linda Ronstandt's version takes big swinging balls. And heck, the OTHER version is Roy Orbison... so no less intimidating. But Porter measures up to those impossible standard bearers. Ideally I could wish she wasn't doing such a dead on emulation of Ronstandt, because I like a little originality mixed in there too, but okay... it IS a dead on Ronstandt. In other words, impossible.

PLEASE don't pick Adam. Pleasohpleaseohplease. I'm ready to throw things at my TV if she does. They need to make a rule preventing judges from approaching the singers until after they've named their coach. Approaching them to beg and plead is just nauseating and Adam is the worst offender.

I know she did the approach too, but I want Christina to get this one. Worst case is Blake. I'd rather he was off the show, but honestly... would he even know what to DO with a voice like that? He works well in his box of a certain KIND of voice. This isn't that kind of voice. ANY of other three would be better. Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Here's Alisan Porter on Star Search.

Yeah, she's come a long way! (okay, at 5 years old she was inherently a novelty act)

I'm gonna speculate she may pick Christina. Why? Because this exists...

Blake's won with young modern country, young pop punk country, R&B, traditional country mixed with some blues rock, took a classic rock guy to the finale, took a bluegrass influenced country singer to the finale, took Sissaundra farther than I thought she would go her season.

If you want to win, or at least make finale I think Team Blake is always the right answer regardless of the kind of singer you are...

• Love 3

I thought she was a bit screechy.

Obviously people's preferences and 'ear' for sound differ... that's just human nature. But just from a technical perspective are you saying you thought she was off-pitch?  I mean I'd like to understand your particular definition of "screechy". To me that would mean someone was sharp on the notes. I didn't hear that personally.

She DID have a lot of volume, but when someone's pitch is proper (assuming hers was, as Adam thought and me too), that's not a bad thing. Also one of the more subtle things I loved in her performance was that it's the kind of song (and respectful performance) NOT featuring runs. It's just straight notes for the most part without stupid egotistical flourishes.

Again, that's just me. It's okay to hate her version of Blue Bayou. I don't get it... but I don't have to: nobody should make you demand a justification for your taste, although like I said if it's a specific comment like "screechy" I'd like to understand better what you actually mean by that.

Unless you mean that really old cover of Christina rather than her blind audition (linked upthread). I don't know how old she is there, but she's certainly a teenager. Yes, she's screechy there. Quite a bit. If THAT teenager was auditioning for The Voice she arguably wouldn't deserve to get on. But if you listen to the blind audition, she's come a long way from that. The purpose of me posting that wasn't to show some wonderful performance, it was to support my assertion that I think there's a pretty good chance she picks Christina.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

To qualify, since it seems important to you, I thought she was sharp and didn't have a great tone quite a few times when she was belting the higher notes on Blue Bayou. I really didn't get why the coaches were as in awe and smitten as they were. She was good, but for me she wasn't dramatically better than everyone else in the episode. I guess it played better live in the room.

Let me first say that overall, I enjoyed Alisan's performance but I heard three separate notes where she was flat. It was a good performance but I don't catagorize it as one of the best of all time.

• Love 1