Type keyword(s) to search

The Voice in the Media

• Start Topic

I'd think if it's most popular with rural people that country singers would win more often.  Good for the rural folks for having more diverse tastes than I expected, I guess.

16 minutes ago, Michel said:

Two of the Battle advisors for season twelve have already been revealed.  Team Adam is working with John Legend, and Team Gwen is working with Celine Dion:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/video/john-legend-joins-the-voice-season-12/vi-AAmkixZ?ocid=spartanntp.

Team Blake and Team Alicia's advisors have yet to be announced.

All four advisors are pictured on The Voice's FB page.  Blake's is Luke Bryan and Alicia's is DJ Khaled.

Ugh, the Voice has lowered the age for competitors to 13.   If the 16-year-olds had Gwen shrieking like she had just seen a unicorn on stage, I can't imagine how she'll react to 13.  I know how I'm reacting - I think watching young teenagers compete is like being force-fed unripe tomatoes. I have no interest in listening to them, no matter how many runs they can cram into a 90 second audition, how many dead grandfathers they are singing to, or how desperately they want to win because singing is all they've wanted to do for their whole lives..  I have a strong feeling I am not going to be watching much of this season!

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

@Ketzel - that link goes to an article about Gwen taking Blake to Disneyland.

Sorry, I should have indicated her quote towards the end of the article;

"Stefani also explained why she was excited to return for Season 12 of The Voice with Alicia Keys, Adam Levine and Shelton. "It is so inspiring. It's just music. The whole thing is just music. Either you're looking for a song to give to your team, or you're watching someone perform or you're hearing a voice. It's just full of music the whole time ,and it's just so inspiring. I love being there," she said. "This year, they lowered the age, so now it's really young kids. Just incredible, the talent!"

And here's a report on the press release from NBC.

• Love 1

Don't know where to put this, so I'll put it on different threads till I know what's right.

Adam leaked a Blind on his Facebook page:

Since it was on his page, she might've chosen him.  But Blake fought just as hard, so she might've chosen him instead.  But I lean toward Adam being her choice since I don't see him leaking a Blind in which he wasn't chosen.  His ego wouldn't allow it.

Interesting.  On Monday night, the show will have a two-hour season premiere.  But on Tuesday, there'll be a one-hour episode, followed by another one-hour episode on Thursday.  Anyone know what that's all about?

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Michel said:

Don't know where to put this, so I'll put it on different threads till I know what's right.

Adam leaked a Blind on his Facebook page:

Since it was on his page, she might've chosen him.  But Blake fought just as hard, so she might've chosen him instead.  But I lean toward Adam being her choice since I don't see him leaking a Blind in which he wasn't chosen.  His ego wouldn't allow it.

It went up on The Voice YouTube channel at about the same time, so I don't know if I would make much of the fact Adam also posted it. 

That is a tough song to sing and I thought she did a pretty good job of it.  I like her powerful lower register, but she didn't show much range.

Remember Aijia Grammer, Andy's wife who tried out?  They were in People this week for having a baby.  She's in there as 'actress' so I guess she's maybe changed her focus.  

I gotta say, I have no interest in hearing a 13 year old perform - no matter how good a vocalist he/she might  be.  Music is about emotion.  Even the judges say that, right?  

The emotional interpretation and delivery of a song by a pubescent teenager won't be the same as someone whose been around.    If I'm not mistaken, this kind of stuff is what was once referred to as bubblegum music.

I must not be in the right demographic any more.   Either its shifted or I've shifted.  Probably both.

Regardless....ugh.  Save it for Disney Channel.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

The 4 "Behind the Team's" youtube clips are up on the Voice's channel today.

So if you want to be spoiled on all 24 battle pairings including the ones that weren't revealed at the end of last night's show, that's where you'll find them...

Yep.  Already put them in the spoiler thread, too, along with the (projected) winners.:)

And I've gotta say, Gwen's team really does have the most interesting, diverse personalities and genres.  I mean . . . wow!

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 4

I just received the new TV Guide in the mail. The Voice is the cover story and there is and there is an interview with all four judges. Alicia dropped a bombshell this is her last season on the show. She wasn't specific on her future. The others were shocked and wanted her to stay.

• Love 3
On 4/27/2017 at 1:01 PM, kathyk24 said:

I just received the new TV Guide in the mail. The Voice is the cover story and there is and there is an interview with all four judges. Alicia dropped a bombshell this is her last season on the show. She wasn't specific on her future. The others were shocked and wanted her to stay.

So that's how Extra knew Alicia wasn't coming back. This is an interview with her and Blake. I found their banter entertaining. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

So that's how Extra knew Alicia wasn't coming back. This is an interview with her and Blake. I found their banter entertaining. 

That was cute. I understand why the producers get Blake to come back every season. He's the type of person who can get along with 99% of people and create chemistry with them. The only person who had negative weird chemistry with that I can remember is Rihanna. That shit was weird.

Can't say I will miss Alicia as a coach, though. I like her as a person and singer, but her coach banter isn't as sparkling as the past few coaches (e.g. Usher, Shakira, even Pharrell lossened up in his 2nd season... I kind of miss him.)

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 1

JHud is a good replacement. I think she did a good job with her team on the Voice UK. And she has a keen eye on talent. I like her better than Alicia but I wonder what kind of dynamic she would bring to the coach panel.

• Love 3

I love Kelly and JHUD! Great choices. So glad Alicia is going. Now if only they'd get rid of Gwen, too. The two of them have been worse than dry paint. I wish them well in their music careers, but TV is not their avenue, imo.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I love Kelly and JHUD! Great choices. So glad Alicia is going. Now if only they'd get rid of Gwen, too. The two of them have been worse than dry paint. I wish them well in their music careers, but TV is not their avenue, imo.

I think this means Gwen is gone for a full year. I don't think they'd put Gwen, Miley, or Christina as the last coach on the Adam/Blake/Kelly line-up. I'm slightly bummed this means no Christina, but I love Kelly. She'll be an excellent fit. She has a big personality of her own and I think she will bring a lot of energy. 

Edited by Dots And Stripes
Getting rid of extraneous stuff
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I like Gwen (and Alicia as well) but unfortunately I agree.

1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I think this means Gwen is gone for a full year. I don't think they'd put Gwen, Miley, or Christina as the last coach on the Adam/Blake/Kelly line-up. I'm slightly bummed this means no Christina, but I love Kelly. She'll be an excellent fit. She has a big personality of her own and I think she will bring a lot of energy. 

Agreed, so happy to find out Kelly is joining, though I wish she was coming this fall instead of spring. I can see a good number of contestants swarming to be on her team.

• Love 3

Uh oh.....I just thought about something.  Kelly is a pretty straightforward person.  I wonder how she's going to sit there, applaud and say how wonderful a performance is, when it's absolutely NOT.  The other coaches don't seem to have a problem with it.  It's just part of the show, but, Kelly.....I think she night want to speak her mind...only as constructive criticism of course.  But, that's not allowed on The Voice so much. 

• Love 2

I find it amusing that NBC poached them before ABC's reboot could get them. The only other notable name really is Carrie, but with how well her career's going I can't really see her spending a season as a judge on either show. 

On 5/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Uh oh.....I just thought about something.  Kelly is a pretty straightforward person.  I wonder how she's going to sit there, applaud and say how wonderful a performance is, when it's absolutely NOT.  The other coaches don't seem to have a problem with it.  It's just part of the show, but, Kelly.....I think she night want to speak her mind...only as constructive criticism of course.  But, that's not allowed on The Voice so much. 

How was Kelly on Duets? I only watched a few pieces but she seemed pretty positive. IMO, I think Kelly's personality would make her want to find a sweet way to say things. My sense is she stands up for herself when she thinks someone is out of line. I would think that would translate more to criticizing an artist with an attitude problem rather than a pitch problem. That isn't usually an issue on this show. I think she'll continue the tradition of coaches finding something nice to say even where that's a challenge.

• Love 2

I'm thrilled about Kelly. Absolutely love her personality and voice.

On the fence about JHud. I've been watching the Voice UK, and while I find it inferior in a lot of ways, I'm not sure I enjoyed her as a judge there. I really thought she'd be laid back, humble, and down to earth, and while she's certainly sweet and kind, she also comes off as a bit of a diva. Like someone who loves attention and knows they are great. But, it could just be that she didn't mesh well with the rest of the panel - Will.I.Am is an obnoxious tool, and she sat next to him. And Gavin Rossdale had the personality of a turnip, and Tom Jones is...well, Tom Jones. He's old and talks about Elvis a lot (love him though).

(edited)
14 hours ago, Sugar said:

I really thought she'd be laid back, humble, and down to earth, and while she's certainly sweet and kind, she also comes off as a bit of a diva. Like someone who loves attention and knows they are great.

I actually loved JHud's persona on the Voice UK. She is confident, yet very kind. Not only to her own team but also to artists on other teams. And I thought she has a keen eye for talent. She's not like Alicia who sometimes does not hear with her ears. 

I just think she did not have much chance to have fun on the coach panel because of the other coaches as you have described. I'm excited to see her mesh with Adam and especially Blake. Blake is always a good icebreaker.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, waving feather said:

I actually loved JHud's persona on the Voice UK. She is confident, yet very kind. Not only to her own team but also to artists on other teams. And I thought she has a keen eye for talent. She's not like Alicia who sometimes does not hear with her ears. 

I just think she did not have much chance to have fun on the coach panel because of the other coaches as you have described. I'm excited to see her mesh with Adam and especially Blake. Blake is always a good icebreaker.

Yea, you may be right. I thought about it some more, and really, that version shows very little of the actual "coaching". Maybe I was hoping to see more mentoring on her part, considering she's been through this herself, but that's not necessarily her fault - the show just didn't air it.
I think she'll have the most chemistry with Blake too - he's good at bringing out people's playful sides and JHud doesn't take herself too seriously.
Not sure about Adam though :P

So we have JHud on the panel with Miley, right? And Kelly on the panel with....unknown? Or am I confusing the upcoming seasons?

1 hour ago, Sugar said:

So we have JHud on the panel with Miley, right? And Kelly on the panel with....unknown? Or am I confusing the upcoming seasons?

Yes.  Season thirteen is Adam, Blake, Miley, and Jennifer.  Season fourteen is Adam, Blake, Kelly, and an unnamed fourth coach.

2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/voice-top-4-exclusively-reveal-slideshow-wp-234847452.html

Some interesting answers (and duet song choices...I'm looking at you, Lauren & Blake) courtesy of Lyndsey Parker...

Ehhhhhhh, not particularly enthused over Blake/Laurens duet song. I just listened to it and it SO does not feel like a finale duet.

I recently heard Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's new song "Speak to a Girl" and I thought instantly that would have been a perfect song for them. Something current, yet right in Lauren's range and style.

On 5/19/2017 at 10:39 PM, kazb0t said:

Ehhhhhhh, not particularly enthused over Blake/Laurens duet song. I just listened to it and it SO does not feel like a finale duet.

I recently heard Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's new song "Speak to a Girl" and I thought instantly that would have been a perfect song for them. Something current, yet right in Lauren's range and style.

I would have expected something a little more upbeat, but this is still likely more uptempo than Lauren's 2 other numbers.  I assume Blake is trying to give Lauren something a little different from her other songs without going too far outside her comfort zone. If I remember correctly, duets downloads don't count for votes, right?

6 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

If I remember correctly, duets downloads don't count for votes, right?

They don't.  So if Blake was hoping to make it count for votes, he's gonna be disappointed.

43 minutes ago, Nalan said:

They don't.  So if Blake was hoping to make it count for votes, he's gonna be disappointed.

I doubt he picked it for downloads. I think if he was giving her a wtf choice for a duet it's bc he knows it won't count for downloads. He has been excellent with strategy this season.

The Voice received eight Emmy nominations:

OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A VARIETY, NONFICTION, REALITY OR REALITY-COMPETITION SERIES

OUTSTANDING HAIRSTYLING FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN/LIGHTING DIRECTION FOR A VARIETY SERIES

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR A VARIETY SERIES OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL DIRECTION, CAMERAWORK, VIDEO CONTROL FOR A SERIES

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A REALITY PROGRAM

They also received a nomination for The Voice on Snapchat Show:

OUTSTANDING CREATIVE ACHIEVEMENT IN INTERACTIVE MEDIA WITHIN AN UNSCRIPTED PROGRAM

Joe Jonas has been confirmed as the Team Adam Battle mentor: https://t.co/SqdCHqgB4g?amp=1.

Meanwhile, Rascal Flatts has been confirmed as the Team Blake Battle mentor: http://extratv.com/2017/08/07/the-voice-ne...#undefined.uxfs.

In addition, the leaked picture below suggests that Kelly Rowland is the Team Jennifer Battle mentor:

dn8oeo9.jpg

And of course, we already know that Billy Ray Cyrus, Miley's father, will be the Team Miley Battle mentor.

Apparently, Kelly confirmed sometime back that season twelve wasn't Alicia's last season, and that she'll be back for season fourteen:

Interesting to see how Adam, Kelly, Alicia, and Blake all interact with each other.

Also, Miley revealed on Howard Stern that season thirteen will be her last season as a coach.  Which makes me think that this'll clear the way for Gwen to return next fall.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Star Aristille said:

Apparently, Kelly confirmed sometime back that season twelve wasn't Alicia's last season, and that she'll be back for season fourteen:

Interesting to see how Adam, Kelly, Alicia, and Blake all interact with each other.

Also, Miley revealed on Howard Stern that season thirteen will be her last season as a coach.  Which makes me think that this'll clear the way for Gwen to return next fall.

Why did Gwen leave? Geez I can't stand Jennifer Hudson. I don't like Gwen either. I'm not easy to please huh!? Lol

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1