Type keyword(s) to search

The Voice in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
23 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Evidently, Christina doesn't play well with upcoming Top 8 Advisor, Pink.  Nor with Gwen.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3093085/christina-aguileras-diva-antics-revealed-former-the-voice-star-spills-on-the-behind-the-scenes-drama/

Pink Am Smarter Than X-Tina.

Gwen? Not so much.

That said, this inquisitr.site, and Radar Online (who they got the story from) often just make shit up.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Evidently, Christina doesn't play well with upcoming Top 8 Advisor, Pink.  Nor with Gwen.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3093085/christina-aguileras-diva-antics-revealed-former-the-voice-star-spills-on-the-behind-the-scenes-drama/

That sounds like the usual made up stuff to me.  Admittedly I pay little to no attention to celeb's private lives or public feuds, but that sounds over the top.  I imagine it sells well to the people who dislike Xtina, though.

I did find this retaliatory article saying that the "epic feud is aboout to blow up!" thing was made up:

http://www.gossipcop.com/christina-aguilera-pink-the-voice-feud/

So, yeah.  Choose which questionable Internet source to believe, I guess.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 1

I'm not sure I really care about the alleged feuds.  It's exhausting and I'm already exhausted enough in my real life.  Although if the contestants take issue with a coach (any of them), then that's a different story.

Christina is my favorite female coach and she'd be a tough one to replace.  Gwen is verbally incontinent and Pink looked a little grouchy tonight - although I like their music more than I like Christina's.

• Love 4

Too bad it was cancelled (from the Christina side of it). She sounded better than I expected. Of course, I find holograms incredibly disrespectful, so I guess I'm glad it was cancelled (from the Whitney side of it). Can't the woman rest in peace without being digitally recreated to make more and more money for people who should already be rich at this point?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Too bad it was cancelled (from the Christina side of it). She sounded better than I expected. Of course, I find holograms incredibly disrespectful, so I guess I'm glad it was cancelled (from the Whitney side of it). Can't the woman rest in peace without being digitally recreated to make more and more money for people who should already be rich at this point?

I'm no longer a fan of Christina anymore (because of this show, go figure), but I totally agree with you. She should have been allowed to have a moment to shine since the other coaches have come out more favorably since appearing on this show imo. I think holograms are creepy and yes, according to the article, Whitney didn't look like herself. Pat Houston should not be allowed to get anymore money off of Whitney's death than she already has. Whitney was never a saint, but Pat is/was way worse. imho I'm curious to know who leaked this to the press and do the Houston's still get paid even though the performance will not air during the finale?

(edited)

Christina on Chelsea promoting The Voice and Masterclass

(BTW, anyway know why Chelsea has a show again like this? I thought she said she was above celeb interviews and was going to do a show worthy of her intelligence?)

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1
On 5/20/2016 at 11:55 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

I also don't like the Hologram idea.  Especially not on a show like the voice.  It comes off as live people making money off dead people.  Very bad taste....

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/13/2016 at 3:27 PM, ProudMary said:

Here is actual evidence to the contrary: Pink saying Christina was the most fun to work with & that she's a fan

As for Gwen, she and Christina have a friendship from before the show and its accompanying tabloid stories. You can find photos of them celebrating baby showers and birthdays together.

Alisan & Christina at The Voice press-conference (around 17:30 she mentions Pink)

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2
(edited)

Looks like ratings were down a bit and Sezlac makes 8 suggestions for improving the show:

http://tvline.com/2016/05/27/the-voice-season-11-changes-improvements/

These basically come down to:

1. Quit trying to crown the winner before the Blind Auditions even air.

2. Stop spoiling most of the steals in the battle and knockout rounds

3. Rethink the Semifinal bloodbath (go back to 2 eliminations per week)

4. No more montages

5. Give Adam a season off

6. Kill the karaoke (encourage contestants to change songs up rather than do so many straight up covers. He cites Hannah' Every Breath You Take and Bryan's Sorry as examples of the kind of thing that should be encouraged)

7. Promote your alumni with weekly performances (every results show should feature Voice alumni and not only those with record deals)

8. Let Xtina be great or let her go (i.e. accept that Xtina is a horrible actress and allow her to be critical of performances that aren't good).

While I´m not sure most of these would really improve ratings, I do strongly agree with most of them.  The exception is No.3, as I think its a good thing to give the contestants as much exposure as they can get by eliminating only 1 per week.  I'm also not so sure whether the show would work without Adam.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well technically it's been on a downward spiral pretty much every single season...

Not sure if charts are right to talk about in this thread, but so far, Voice covers that have hit both the weekly sales chart in the T15 and the overall Hot 100 chart:
25 S3 Cassadee’s Over You 3
40 S3 Cassadee’s Stupid Boy 6
40 S7 Matt’s Blower’s Daughter 8
40 S5 Matthew’s Hallelujah 9
51 S5 Tessanne’s I Have Nothing 12
59 S7 Craig’s That Old Rugged Cross 13
60 S3 Cassadee’s Cry 14
64 S5 Tessanne's Bridge Over Troubled Water 14
94 S10 Adam's I’m Sorry 12

S9: 21 Jordan's Somebody to Love 1
24 Jordan's Mary Did You Know 1
30 Jordan’s Great Is Thy Faithfulness 3
56 Emily's Burning House 5
61 Jordan’s Hallelujah 4
72 Jordan's Climb Every Mountain 6
92 Barrett's I’d Just Love to Lay You Down 10
So excluding S9, an average of one for each season. S9 had 7. Since fall seasons always do better in charting, I wonder if S11 will be able to come anywhere near that craziness. Or if Jordan is just a one-time-ever thing.

Edited by jjjmoss
1 hour ago, viajero said:

Looks like ratings were down a bit and Sezlac makes 8 suggestions for improving the show:

http://tvline.com/2016/05/27/the-voice-season-11-changes-improvements/

These basically come down to:

1. Quit trying to crown the winner before the Blind Auditions even air.

2. Stop spoiling most of the steals in the battle and knockout rounds

3. Rethink the Semifinal bloodbath (go back to 2 eliminations per week)

4. No more montages

5. Give Adam a season off

6. Kill the karaoke (encourage contestants to change songs up rather than do so many straight up covers. He cites Hannah' Every Breath You Take and Bryan's Sorry as examples of the kind of thing that should be encouraged)

7. Promote your alumni with weekly performances (every results show should feature Voice alumni and not only those with record deals)

8. Let Xtina be great or let her go (i.e. accept that Xtina is a horrible actress and allow her to be critical of performances that aren't good).

While I´m not sure most of these would really improve ratings, I do strongly agree with most of them.  The exception is No.3, as I think its a good thing to give the contestants as much exposure as they can get by eliminating only 1 per week.  I'm also not so sure whether the show would work without Adam.

I agree with #1 as at that point, audiences prefer making their picks for winners, that's part of the fun. Numbers 2 and 4 are also good as there just seems to be so much needless filler and chit chat. I'd rather see them sing and maybe two critiques per contestant in the early shows.

After all the pimping and propping, the bloodbath adds to the lack of suspense, so that should go.

I really don't mind Adam, but I usually turn during the tongue baths anyway because they are simply fraudulent. If these singers were really so great and amazing, most of them wouldn't make a pit stop at The Voice.

As for number six, there is something to be said for straight covers. It was a running joke on Idol with "I Have Nothing," but it also made for easier comparisons through the seasons and contestants. It's like baseball and being able to compare players on stats. This one sang that song better than ...

Not to mention, you don't want the singers to have to compete against the song and memories of, but against the other competitors. If the audience is spending too much time deciding whether they like or accept the changes, that's taking away time from them deciding whether they like the singer.

And last, but not least, you'd be setting the singers up for even more scrutiny as to whether they are the creative force behind the new cover or if someone else is. For me, those are needless elements to add to a situation that is already more about making TV than helping these contestants start a career.

Don't need to see the alumni, there is a reason as to why they aren't seen outside of the show. To bring them back would only further emphasize that The Voice really doesn't create stars.

Number 8 is why current stars shouldn't be the judges, they can't be honest if they want to keep their careers. The audience isn't willing to accept that the business is very harsh and cold and having their fave explain it to them by going out like Simon Cowell will only hurt the judges in the end. In addition to the female judge automatically being slotted as the "nice judge" due to the example set by Paula Abdul for so many years.

Kendall, I have to disagree with you on No. 6.  I get your point about making it easier to compare artists and also more likely to attract votes, but I feel that many of the all time greatest performances on this show have happened when someone changed up a song in interesting ways.  Plus, I get tired of seeing the same songs being done the exact same way season after season.  For me, one of the main reasons this show has gone downhill is that contestants are much less likely to take risks both in song selection and how they've arranged those songs. 

I know its never going to happen, but I'd love to have a season limited to songs that originally came out in the current century.  Nothing from before the Millennium. That would be my 9th suggestion.  As it stands now, I get the feeling that a lot of people are voting for whichever classic dated songs they liked the most in their youth.

2 hours ago, jjjmoss said:

Well technically it's been on a downward spiral pretty much every single season...

Not sure if charts are right to talk about in this thread, but so far, Voice covers that have hit both the weekly sales chart in the T15 and the overall Hot 100 chart:
25 S3 Cassadee’s Over You 3
40 S3 Cassadee’s Stupid Boy 6
40 S7 Matt’s Blower’s Daughter 8
40 S5 Matthew’s Hallelujah 9
51 S5 Tessanne’s I Have Nothing 12
59 S7 Craig’s That Old Rugged Cross 13
60 S3 Cassadee’s Cry 14
64 S5 Tessanne's Bridge Over Troubled Water 14
94 S10 Adam's I’m Sorry 12

S9: 21 Jordan's Somebody to Love 1
24 Jordan's Mary Did You Know 1
30 Jordan’s Great Is Thy Faithfulness 3
56 Emily's Burning House 5
61 Jordan’s Hallelujah 4
72 Jordan's Climb Every Mountain 6
92 Barrett's I’d Just Love to Lay You Down 10
So excluding S9, an average of one for each season. S9 had 7. Since fall seasons always do better in charting, I wonder if S11 will be able to come anywhere near that craziness. Or if Jordan is just a one-time-ever thing.

What do the numbers to the right and left of each song on your list represent? 

In any case, congrats to Adam for being the only contestant from an even numbered season to make the list.  The irony for me is that outside of Season 3, I've generally felt that the even numbered seasons have tended to be stronger.

• Love 1
(edited)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to hear- and vote for- those classics.  When I was growing up in the late 70s, early 80s, my parents were always playing Simon & Garfunkel and Elvis (blech!) type singers.

Baby Boomers are the largest and wealthiest demographic.  And we're at the point of our life where nostalgia is big for us and we'll spend money on Camaros, Vettes, Boss's, metal lunchboxes, memorabilia, DVDs of our favorite shows growing up, and classic music.  For the record, I collect Starsky & Hutch.

So alot of us don't know or want to hear Demi Lovattos, Beyoncés, or whoever.  And I do own some modern songs - Imagine Dragons, Megan Trainor, Rhianna. But it has to REALLY catch my attention.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, viajero said:

Kendall, I have to disagree with you on No. 6.  I get your point about making it easier to compare artists and also more likely to attract votes, but I feel that many of the all time greatest performances on this show have happened when someone changed up a song in interesting ways.  Plus, I get tired of seeing the same songs being done the exact same way season after season.  For me, one of the main reasons this show has gone downhill is that contestants are much less likely to take risks both in song selection and how they've arranged those songs. 

I know its never going to happen, but I'd love to have a season limited to songs that originally came out in the current century.  Nothing from before the Millennium. That would be my 9th suggestion.  As it stands now, I get the feeling that a lot of people are voting for whichever classic dated songs they liked the most in their youth.

I guess I'm just not one that believes in slowing down/speeding up a song is necessarily interesting. There has to be a serious fundamental change in the execution and sentiment that occurs with that change for it to register as something special for me. The best example of the top my head and easily YouTubeable would be what Luther Vandross did with his covers.

While most of his covers were slower versions, he slowed down what were originally melancholy songs and turned them into heart wrenching ballads. I can still appreciate both versions, but they are completely different in execution.

For me, Hannah's change to "Every Breath You Take" actually gave validation to the stalker that is stalking. Um, that's not supposed to happen. Not even in the name of creativity.

As to your other suggestion, I don't know how a successful season could be built on music that a lot of people think lacks in overall quality. Even the best songs of this century pale greatly to average songs from before.

18 hours ago, viajero said:

#3 is the one that probably most impacted my viewing habits. It's less entertaining TV when weaker contestants are kept around longer (making for lower-quality performance shows overall), and single-eliminations are less exciting than double-eliminations.  Also, we are actually seeing less of the higher-quality contestants.  They used to do two songs each when it got down to Top 6.  Now, it's only one song until the finals.  

As for the other suggestions, I also don't think they would help ratings.  Montages exist for a reason (to avoid showing bad/boring performances).  Promoting certain contestants/storylines/steals are a way to try to hook viewers.  

16 hours ago, Kendall said:

Number 8 is why current stars shouldn't be the judges, they can't be honest if they want to keep their careers. The audience isn't willing to accept that the business is very harsh and cold and having their fave explain it to them by going out like Simon Cowell will only hurt the judges in the end. In addition to the female judge automatically being slotted as the "nice judge" due to the example set by Paula Abdul for so many years.

I don't think the lack of criticism by the coaches have anything to do with them being current stars.  I think it's more about 1) the show wanting to promote a positive vibe, and 2) the format of The Voice where the coaches are also competing.  I think that when the coaches have provided constructive criticism in the past, they were being honest.  But too often, I see message board comments that these coaches are only doing so out of "strategy".

Also, if the coaches weren't current stars, what would that do to ratings?  

6 hours ago, Noreaster said:

Also, if the coaches weren't current stars, what would that do to ratings?  

Absolutely nothing. Who the heck was thinking about Paula Abdul when Idol started? And, if we're being honest, very few people were thinking about Adam Levine or Christina Aguilera when The Voice started. Blake was the only one that was actually still making hits when the show started.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:43 PM, viajero said:

This I hope they don't do. The whole "change things up," "original," "ARTISTRYyyy" thing helped run Idol into the ground. I hope this show doesn't make the same mistake(s).

9 hours ago, Kendall said:

Absolutely nothing. Who the heck was thinking about Paula Abdul when Idol started? And, if we're being honest, very few people were thinking about Adam Levine or Christina Aguilera when The Voice started. Blake was the only one that was actually still making hits when the show started.

While I agree that non-celebrities wouldn't necessarily stop a TV show from being a hit, The Voice has pretty much set the celebrity lineup in stone for itself since they've had the format for 10 seasons. And, actually... I did watch this show because of Christina. I was still halfway into Idol at the time and was only interested in seeing The X Factor coming a few months later because of Simon Cowell (and because of talent found in the British version), so I doubt I would've watched the show without her. I think they came up with an original group that gave a lot of different demographics reason to give the show a passing glance. Combined with airing in the summer at the time when there was nothing else to watch, I'd say they played it very smart.

1 minute ago, TheGreenKnight said:

This I hope they don't do. The whole "change things up," "original," "ARTISTRYyyy" thing helped run Idol into the ground. I hope this show doesn't make the same mistake(s).

YES! That and the allowance of instruments to be played by the contestants. A lot of people who were "obviously" more talented because they "played" an instrument went further than they should have. There's a bunch of people plucking strings and banging on keys, but still aren't competent and certainly not talented musicians, but Idol was afraid of what "Rock Star" was doing and gave in to that.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Kendall said:

I think some people watch The Voice more for the coaches than the contestants.  The whole concept of The Voice is that these current/relevant celebrities are guiding their contestants throughout the competition.

The only reason I started watching the show was because NBC aired the season 2 premiere after the Super Bowl. (I never got into American Idol.) Besides the gimmicky blind auditions and the higher-quality talent pool (with more professionals), I was drawn to the coach chemistry and bought into the mentoring concept. Over the seasons, the show has continued to put much of the focus on the coaches and when they had to replace coaches, they did so with equally big or even bigger names.  

Replace these coaches with unknowns or people who are not considered relevant and I think the ratings would definitely take a hit.  

11 hours ago, roamyn said:

Both Blake & Maroon 5 are going to start touring late summer.

I wonder how that will affect S11 live shows?

It probably won't impact the live shows.  The coaches have toured in the past with no problem.  I would guess all the tapings of the blinds, battles, and knockouts will be done before they start touring.  And then they'll be done touring by the time the live shows start in late Oct/early Nov.  

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:47 PM, pivot said:

But, I am not seeing how Alicia Keys is a step forward. She is also dull as dirt. Miley at least as a personality.

Then I'm guessing you didn't watch the special Olympic preview.  Alicia was anything but "dull as dirt."  She had energy and personality to spare.  Quite a bit more subdued than Miley, of course, but she definitely had the spunk to keep up with the men.  She and Miley put up a great united front against Adam and Blake and showed that they really have come to play.  As a result, they each scored a fantastic artist.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 3

Not sure where to put this, but while I had no interest in this season before, I might have to stick around for as long as Billy Gilman lasts. I really never would've expected it since I grew up with his first two albums, but he hasn't really done anything big since then so I guess he'd count as an unknown just as much as Javier, Alisan, and Cassadee.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

Billy Gilman?  The name sounded familiar so I did a search.  Will he be the first Voice contestant with a Grammy nom in his background?  I also read he sold platinum back in the day.  That doesn't seem like discovering a "new" talent but rather helping with a comeback.  I'm not sure I like that direction for the show.

Nothing against Gilman; not being a country person I'm not familiar with his music.  It just seems like he's much more of a pro than past contestants, even including Javier, Alisan and Cassadee, with all his sales from an earlier solo music career. 

• Love 1

Billy Gilman is a contestant?  Dang...  I have his Christmas album (which I actually like - there are some good arrangements of some old standards).  I definitely consider him far more of a pro than any of the past contestants.  He had all sorts of radio play when he was young (before his voice changed) - you couldn't escape him on country radio.

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 10:21 PM, HighQueenEB said:

Billy Gilman is a contestant?  Dang...  I have his Christmas album (which I actually like - there are some good arrangements of some old standards).  I definitely consider him far more of a pro than any of the past contestants.  He had all sorts of radio play when he was young (before his voice changed) - you couldn't escape him on country radio.

I hope this doesn't give him an unfair voting advantage should he reach the Lives.

I don't know.  If Miley's not back next season, then the quitting might be true.  But I don't get how bad the second part would be since the coaches should be doing all they can for their contestants.

The article specifically mentions her buying stuff for them. It's her money. Production should butt out, if that's true. 

The part about Blake and Adam being shitty to her wouldn't shock me if it was true. I always thought they were assholes to Christina. It also would not shock me if Blake really was the reason Christina is gone. I quit watching the show because of Blake and Adam. I have tuned in a couple of times to see Miley and Alicia, but the Blake and Adam show reminded me why I dropped it. Not surprised that the ratings are starting to slip. Those two white dudes and the apparently interchangeable woman and POC tokens aren't appealing to me. I actually find the rotation of the female and POC judges really offensive. Not sure if it bothers other viewers as much. It could just be that the talent show thing is played. 

• Love 6

Adam was definitely an asshole to Christina. They both were assholes to Shakira. Blake may just be smoother about hiding his douche behavior, but he seemed to get along with Christina and seems nice enough with Miley, too. I'm guessing Blake wants to get Gwen back on the show.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, viajero said:

I wonder if there is any truth to this about Miley wanting to quit halfway through the season?  Or about the producers having to reign her in because she was doing too much for her contestants.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/the-voice-miley-cyrus-quitting.html/3/

I wouldn't put much stock in that gossip site.  It's almost 2017 and they haven't updated their copyright stamp to 2016 yet.  And the article holds at least one blatant error presented as fact:  "Many new coaches have come on the show for only one season without returning."  No past coach has only done one season, much less 'many'.  

Adam showed a mean streak back in the infamous season with Christina, but I've never thought of Blake that way. It's hard to imagine them being too tough on someone 23--and Alicia seems like she wouldn't like it either. I don't believe that article.

Here's one up today from Variety. I was liking Miley before, but that just doubled after reading this. Pretty impressive for 23 years old. (Plus, kudos to the Variety photographer for thinking up something different for the portrait). http://variety.com/2016/music/features/miley-cyrus-the-voice-donald-trump-vmas-woody-allen-coming-out-pansexual-1201884281/

• Love 5

She would have to do something really craptastic for me not to like Miley.  She's smarter than people give her credit for, she is a talented singer, and she seems to completely and utterly authentic...just like Kelly Clarkson.

Those two are the only female singers I can think of who made it big while insisting on keepin' it real. 

Having said all that, I don't follow the music world much so I'm just going by what I see when I do see or read about them.

• Love 6

Ah, it's nice to see people accepting of Miley.  I've always defended her on these sites, against almost universal negativity.  We've been fans since Hannah Montana.  She had great comic chops even at age 11.

Miley is talented and smart. The antics she gets panned for are the modern equivalent of what Madonna did in the 80s. They may not be my personal taste, but there's truth to the bumper sticker "Well-behaved women rarely make history." (The origin of that line was an purportedly an academic paper, interestingly enough.) She isn't hurting anyone, just performing in ways that garner attention. That's fine by me.

As to tension on set, there's a rumor about that every season, it seems, and it's pretty much always about the (or a) female judge. *eyeroll* 

• Love 9

Here is an extremely positive review of the show (and Miley) from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/halrubenstein/2016/10/11/why-the-voice-will-lift-you-up/#2e48f548476a

Like many, I was a bit turned off when Miley went through her crazy period a couple of years ago.  But unlike a lot of former child stars, she seems to have pulled herself out of it relatively quickly.  She comes across as a lot more mature these days.  That Variety interview quoted in a post above was pretty good.

• Love 5

If anything, I like Miley even more if she's annoying to Blake and Adam (as the article infers). I'm pretty over them after 10 seasons. Can't we at least get a different white dudebro in one of the chairs?

• Love 3

I don't believe Blake was shitty to Shakira, he talked glowlingly about her in a recent article, he recorded a duet with her for her album and took her with him to country music awards shows to perform it. He also recorded a duet with  Christina for her album, which I believe was her highest charting single from that album. If he was powerful enough to "get Christina removed from the show" why wasn't he powerful enough to get them to bring Gwen back over Miley? That doesn't make any sense. Yes, I'm a big Blake fan, and he is one of the main reasons I watch the show, but I like Alicia and Miley too, and I love having two females on the panel. Blake and Miley have also known each other for years because of their country music connections, so I think they joke around with each other in a way that to me seems very good natured and familiar. Miley seems to tease him as much as he teases her. I think every season there are rumors like this and aside from Cee Lo being fired (appropriately) and the obvious Christina/Adam tension that one season they have mostly been unfounded.

• Love 10
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, nextian said:

I don't believe Blake was shitty to Shakira

I have to disagree. Usher, Blake, and Adam were all dismissive and condescending to her during the auditions of their second season together. That's why I wasn't surprised when she said it was her last season.

51 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I have to disagree. Usher, Blake, and Adam were all dismissive and condescending to her during the auditions of their second season together. That's why I wasn't surprised when she said it was her last season.

Usher was?  I thought he and Shakira were besties.  After all, he's said he'll only return as a coach if she does, too.

Not surprised about Adam (it's why I find it a wonder that he has as many fans as he does), but Blake is shocking.  It makes me wonder why Gwen is with him.

A commercial for The Voice during the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade said that the Top 10 will become the Top 8 next week, so obviously we're losing two contestants Tuesday.  I like that better than the Top 9 to Top 4 from last season.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

A commercial for The Voice during the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade said that the Top 10 will become the Top 8 next week, so obviously we're losing two contestants Tuesday.  I like that better than the Top 9 to Top 4 from last season.

Not to quibble, but nine to four was two seasons ago.  Last season went from eight to four.;)

On 10/19/2016 at 2:19 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I think Shakira lost patience with the behind-the-scenes pushing of certain judges and contestants over others. There were people at her last two tapings and she was visibly annoyed by the bullshit. I also think she had no patience with Adam. Adam was definitely dismissive and condescending towards Shakira. He still makes comments implying she is stupid and considering she speaks 4-5 languages and has a better English vocabulary than Adam does that is pretty rich. But, Blake and Shakira are still quite close as are Usher and Shakira.

I still think Alicia was a poor pick for a judge. She is more interesting than Gwen but just barely. I'd like to see Blake replaced by Tim McGraw, Adam by anyone and Alicia by a more interesting R&B or Latin artist. 

• Love 2

I found this NY Times article interesting.  It looked at the number of active Facebook users who "liked" certain TV shows and mapped it out by zip code.  With the 50 most-liked shows, it found three distinct geographic clusters: urban areas, rural areas, and what it calls the extended Black Belt.  

Not surprisingly, The Voice is much more popular in rural areas than in urban areas and the extended Black Belt.  .  

“The Voice,” a singing competition, is most popular in North Dakota and least popular in New York. It was behind only “Duck Dynasty” and “Fast N’ Loud” in its correlation with Trump voters.

• Love 3