Type keyword(s) to search

Aftermath in the Media

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, thosme said:

Has anything recently happened with Marty Rathburn?  It just seems they are including him more often than in previous years.  They always seemed very protective of him before.  Maybe I'm just reading too much into the clips they have been showing.

He went back in and is back in full-on attack mode:

https://markrathbun.blog/

• Love 2
On 12/4/2018 at 3:33 PM, MamaMax said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but has anyone listened to the Podcast, Escaping NXIVM? Soooooo many similarities to $cientology!!

NXIVM?    Well, I am off to look that up.  Yikes!!!!!!   I had no idea this existed.   It is amazing what I learn thanks to posters on these boards; maybe one day I can return the favor.  I will have to try the podcast as soon as I listen to the last few episodes of "You Must Remember This."

On 12/30/2018 at 5:58 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Last year, they were saying that S3 would have specials on both Jehovah's Witnesses and NXIVM.

I have mixed feelings about Leah covering this and the JWs.  I really think she should stick to Co$ and maybe others can take on the other cultish groups.

I read one of the newspaper articles where it mentioned turning over nudes pictures to your mentors.  Nope, not doing that.  Not that I have nude pictures. 

Is it pronounced like the OTC heartburn med Nexium?  if so, maybe that's ironic because reading the article made my heart burn with anger.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

I read one of the newspaper articles where it mentioned turning over nudes pictures to your mentors.  Nope, not doing that.  Not that I have nude pictures. 

Yes that is a total not happening.

Frankly, I also can't imagine a scenario where Scientology wouldn't have lost me at the first.  WTF do you mean you want my money?

• Love 2

Signing a contract for thousands of dollars for "courses" and the stupid auditing would have had me out the door in seconds.  Although they've never succeeded in getting me mildly interested.  I had one friend take one course and I don't think she finished it.  She said the hounding her to sign contracts and the insistence on more courses really soured her.  She said they didn't fully leave her alone until she moved.  They didn't force the move, but it had the extra benefit of them losing track of her.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, summitsw said:

Interesting take on CO$ from someone who’s never been in it.

Definitely interesting, although it does sound like she bought some of the myths that Leah exposed.  But even as an outsider she sees it's not going to last.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:05 PM, SailorGirl said:

He went back in and is back in full-on attack mode:

https://markrathbun.blog/

Wait, Marty Rathburn got a clue, escaped, spoke truth to power then went back in??  Can you believe something then not believe it-and tell everyone why you don't believe it- then really believe again???  Not with something this monumental.  Humans aren't wired that way.  There is no way he isn't being blackmailed with photos of something horrific he did or some other wildly-wrong-in-every-way situation.  Maybe he's back in and on the attack because they are threatening him and everyone he loves with sure torture a la Saddam Hussein and Muammar al-Qaddafi and slow death to him and everyone he loves.  

• Love 6

Some people who escape from a cult do not properly process their newfound freedom and lifestyle, and/or are not deprogrammed properly, and they find it easier to go back to what they know and feel comfortable with.  Maybe Marty Rathbun couldn't handle it on the outside and went back in.  Although the above scenario could certainly be another explanation.  "Hey Marty, you don't want to end up like Shelly, do you?"

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

It is my understanding that Marty always still believed in Scamology; it was the people running the organization he had a problem with. IIRC, he was doing auditing after he left.  He never really left the cult, for all intents and purposes. 

Edited by Omeletsmom
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ruprecht said:

Not sure of the best place to post this but Mr. Peanut had the best reaction to the Co$ ad during the Super Bowl:

OMG they did a Superbowl ad??? (I was one of the many who didn't watch). Google is about to be my friend. . . :-D 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ruprecht said:

Not sure of the best place to post this but Mr. Peanut had the best reaction to the Co$ ad during the Super Bowl:

I'm gonna have to go buy some peanuts for that awesome reaction!!

Look out, Mr. Peanut!!  https://www.dailywire.com/news/43096/scientology-goes-after-planters-icon-mr-peanut-emily-zanotti

Within minutes of Planters' tweet, prominent Scientologists, including some heavily involved in the Church's "Stand League," which operates as something of a "digital rapid response" operation, were tweeting that Planters was exhibiting "anti-religious bigotry."

Edited by TexasGal
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Not sure if this has been posted before but it's the first I heard about it - A man is using Scientology as his defense for committing murder in Arizona.  Basically he's not denying he did it he's saying it wasn't pre-meditated first degree murder (death penalty eligible) but heat of the moment manslaughter based on trying to "save" his nephew from the evil psychologists.  They even went as far as to bring up Tom Cruise and his Today show anti-psychology interview in the defense opening arguments.

What really got me was apparently the defense is trying to find expert witnesses to corroborate that COS teachings would have made the guy believe he had to go and rescue his nephew and that the kids mortal soul was in danger and they tried to get Leah and also Mark Ortega to be expert witnesses to that.  Leah hasn't said anything about this, maybe she can't but it seems from the article she declined to help.  Ortega did too and the defense seems to be having a hard time getting anyone with inside info to help.  The best part though (to me) is the defense also subpoena records from the church.  I have to admit I'd be very interested in what they asked for, is COS fighting the subpoena, if not what they were given and what is/will be admitted to evidence knowing how COS feels about letting any of their documents fall into outsiders hands.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/mans-defense-in-double-murder-death-penalty-case-scientology-made-me-do-it/ar-BBTeE75?li=BBnbcA1

Edited by sigmaforce86
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Not sure if this has been posted before but it's the first I heard about it - A man is using Scientology as his defense for committing murder in Arizona.  Basically he's not denying he did it he's saying it wasn't pre-meditated first degree murder (death penalty eligible) but heat of the moment manslaughter based on trying to "save" his nephew from the evil psychologists.  They even went as far as to bring up Tom Cruise and his Today show anti-psychology interview in the defense opening arguments.

What really got me was apparently the defense is trying to find expert witnesses to corroborate that COS teachings would have made the guy believe he had to go and rescue his nephew and that the kids mortal soul was in danger and they tried to get Leah and also Mark Ortega to be expert witnesses to that.  Leah hasn't said anything about this, maybe she can't but it seems from the article she declined to help.  Ortega did too and the defense seems to be having a hard time getting anyone with inside info to help.  The best part though (to me) is the defense also subpoena records from the church.  I have to admit I'd be very interested in what they asked for, is COS fighting the subpoena, if not what they were given and what is/will be admitted to evidence knowing how COS feels about letting any of their documents fall into outsiders hands.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/mans-defense-in-double-murder-death-penalty-case-scientology-made-me-do-it/ar-BBTeE75?li=BBnbcA1

Wow, that's a mindfuck. (Especially since it happened not that far from where I live and this is the first I've heard about it). It's hard to know exactly how much Scientology really influenced the defendant, but IMO there's a big difference between looking out for your young nephew and brutally murdering two people. And his actions to hide/destroy the crime scene showed "panic, not a calculated plan"? Uh, sure. Because we all just happen to carry acid and diesel fuel with us on road trips in case we accidentally commit heinous crimes and decide to destroy the evidence. Damn. Just damn.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, SailorGirl said:

OMG they did a Superbowl ad??? (I was one of the many who didn't watch). Google is about to be my friend. . . :-D 

I watched the SuperBowl but didn’t see the ad. I wonder when it was shown. I only watched during the actual game, not pre or post game. Definitely buying some Planters on my next trip to the grocery store. 

• Love 4

Tony Ortega wrote about that case in January. 

https://tonyortega.org/2019/01/07/a-scientologist-on-trial-for-double-murder-a-story-the-church-is-very-nervous-about/

I do think it would be hard to find people to testify for the defense because CO$ is going to throw it right back at them as ammunition. See, these people can't be trusted they are trying to help a multiple murder! 

Also they do a Superbowl commercial every year it's just not a national ad. It only air in certain markets that have lots of Scientologists. The Mr. Peanut response was great. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

Tony Ortega wrote about that case in January. 

https://tonyortega.org/2019/01/07/a-scientologist-on-trial-for-double-murder-a-story-the-church-is-very-nervous-about/

I do think it would be hard to find people to testify for the defense because CO$ is going to throw it right back at them as ammunition. See, these people can't be trusted they are trying to help a multiple murder! 

Also they do a Superbowl commercial every year it's just not a national ad. It only air in certain markets that have lots of Scientologists. The Mr. Peanut response was great. 

Too bad the Co$camers are afraid of an animated peanut!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Wow, that's horrible all around.  I also live in Arizona and did not know anything about this until now (it seems to be my day for finding out awful things I didn't know about)

I can see why the CO$ is terrified.  Not only are they are associated with a brutal double homicide but it shines a light on CO$ practices with the potential to put them in the public record.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2019 at 1:40 PM, 3girlsforus said:

I watched the SuperBowl but didn’t see the ad. I wonder when it was shown. I only watched during the actual game, not pre or post game. Definitely buying some Planters on my next trip to the grocery store. 

From what I've read, they buy local ad spots in markets where an org is located. I live in the Chicago area, and I thought there was an org in the city, but I didn't see the ad.

Well my goodness, look at what is on the front page of the Tampa Bay Times this morning . . . someone is feeling the pressure . . . 

http://www.tampabay.com/clearwater/leah-reminis-scientology-viewers-suspicious-of-clearwater-police-who-are-treading-carefully-20190211/

It touches a little more on what happened with ParkGate. Looks like a small victory was won: ". . . after the incident, Slaughter revoked Scientology's affidavit on file that allows police to issue trespass warnings to citizens when a property owner is not able to be present."

I had to laugh at Slaughter's comment regarding the photos of him in uniform with Scientologists. Apparently they were taken early on when he was trying to build community relationships as the new police chief. Now he says . . . " I wouldn’t want to go on the record saying I’m not going to any more Scientology events, but see if you have any more photos in a couple of years to show me.”

So basically, "yeah, I'm still going to go but won't let anyone take pictures of me with them because its bad PR." 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 2/11/2019 at 6:02 AM, CrystalBlue said:

Here’s another article about the 60 Minutes interview. 60 Minutes Shelley Miscavage

This just proves how dumb Co$ and Miscavage are, all they need to do is clean Shelley up  and then plunk her in front of a camera to dispute this stuff but instead the let it be a big mystery. I loved how Leah said “Sue us, we welcome the lawsuit” she’s such a badass. 😁👍

• Love 10
21 hours ago, summitsw said:

Here’s another article about the 60 Minutes interview. 60 Minutes Shelley Miscavage

This just proves how dumb Co$ and Miscavage are, all they need to do is clean Shelley up  and then plunk her in front of a camera to dispute this stuff but instead the let it be a big mystery. I loved how Leah said “Sue us, we welcome the lawsuit” she’s such a badass. 😁👍

Sadly, my feeling is that poor Shelly is far beyond the point where they can “clean her up” and trot her out to put the speculation to rest.  If by some miracle, she is still well enough, sane enough or presentable enough to put in front of a camera, I’m sure Co$ is afraid she would crack and rat them out.  Then everything would come tumbling down and they are NEVER going to allow that.

Leah and Mike may not have been doing God’s work while in scientology like they thought they were, but they certainly ARE now.  I wish them strength and courage and the continued backing and support of the public/media/law enforcement/government to continue what they are doing.  If anyone can save Shelly and so many others, it’s those two and the people that support them and won’t stop until it’s over.

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Well, this is disappointing.  It appears that Season 3 really is over and that two more episodes that were filmed, including the one about Danny Masterson's victims, won't be aired.

After reading the Tony Ortega article my only question is; who do we contact at A&E and how do we put pressure on them to show the episodes or at least announce publicly why they aren’t?  If Co$ is blocking the truth, I at least want that made public so it gets put in the file along with all of the other Co$ “holy deeds.”  If a former member threatened to commit suicide if their episode was shown, there is reason.  Let’s publicly ask Co$ why and hear their religious answer . . . Damn them!

• Love 14
14 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

After reading the Tony Ortega article my only question is; who do we contact at A&E and how do we put pressure on them to show the episodes or at least announce publicly why they aren’t?  If Co$ is blocking the truth, I at least want that made public so it gets put in the file along with all of the other Co$ “holy deeds.”  If a former member threatened to commit suicide if their episode was shown, there is reason.  Let’s publicly ask Co$ why and hear their religious answer . . . Damn them!

Agree, I don’t get this at all, if there’s some legal reason they can’t show it then just tell us that. Otherwise they’re also guilty of pandering to the Co$ which makes a mockery of the show. 

• Love 7
20 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

I think there needs to be a respectful treatment of survivors, including giving people the space to not be comfortable going forward. You don't know what the reason is that someone backed out at the last minute. It could be because they were pressured by Co$, but it could just as easily be that they are suffering from PTSD, or they are ashamed of actions that they took while in the Co$ and can't handle that information becoming public. While this is entertainment for us, it is also these folks real lives, and we as viewers don't always deserve to know, no matter how well intention-ed our desires may be. I have to take on faith that if the network who spent money making this episode, and who has been willing to battle with Co$ publicly to date is willing to shelve these shows, there must be good reasons for both. Would it be nice to know? Sure. Do we deserve to know? Not necessarily. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

I think there needs to be a respectful treatment of survivors, including giving people the space to not be comfortable going forward. You don't know what the reason is that someone backed out at the last minute. It could be because they were pressured by Co$, but it could just as easily be that they are suffering from PTSD, or they are ashamed of actions that they took while in the Co$ and can't handle that information becoming public. While this is entertainment for us, it is also these folks real lives, and we as viewers don't always deserve to know, no matter how well intention-ed our desires may be. I have to take on faith that if the network who spent money making this episode, and who has been willing to battle with Co$ publicly to date is willing to shelve these shows, there must be good reasons for both. Would it be nice to know? Sure. Do we deserve to know? Not necessarily. 

I think the same thing, and I think we have all seen first hand what Co$ is able to do to people, but I think A&E needs to come out to the public and say, for all to see, that they had two other shows filmed and weren’t able to show them for very important reasons.  Let the viewers draw their own conclusions - we all can.  But to just stop the season early, without saying anything about it allows Co$ to remain cloaked in mystery and power.  And isn’t that what we are trying to bring out into the light with this show?  Shouldn’t we at least have a wrap up show with discussion about the Foundation, etc.?  We are with you Leah and Mike - don’t leave us hanging.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

I think the same thing, and I think we have all seen first hand what Co$ is able to do to people, but I think A&E needs to come out to the public and say, for all to see, that they had two other shows filmed and weren’t able to show them for very important reasons.  Let the viewers draw their own conclusions - we all can.  But to just stop the season early, without saying anything about it allows Co$ to remain cloaked in mystery and power.  And isn’t that what we are trying to bring out into the light with this show?  Shouldn’t we at least have a wrap up show with discussion about the Foundation, etc.?  We are with you Leah and Mike - don’t leave us hanging.

WE need to contact the right people and demand an explanation. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

WE need to contact the right people and demand an explanation. 

I'm with you on this and am more than willing to help.  I'm no good at sleuthing, but I can send emails!!

Eta:  for more info, go to Mike Rinder's blog.  I can't link it and I don't want to paraphrase.  Anyway, it's definitely worth the read.

Edited by toodles

I am so disappointed that they aren't airing the Danny Masterson episode. There does not seem to be a good reason for it which makes it all the more frustrating. I read the article on Tony's site and the nonairing of the other two episodes makes sense to me, but this one should be aired.

• Love 4

Just FYI, right now the ABC soap opera General Hospital is doing a full on cult story line that is clearly a dig at Scientology. "Dawn of Day" has personal growth seminars, is buying up real estate in town, and in a recent episode, when someone skeptical was asking questions, the cops came and told them to leave. The writers are clearly watching Leah's show.

They also for years on the show have featured the "Miscavige Home for the Criminally Insane" where all the worst criminals go. Somebody high up at GH is not a fan. I'm surprised the COS is not after them! 

Edited by TVbitch
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Just FYI, right now the ABC soap opera General Hospital is doing a full on cult story line that is clearly a dig at Scientology. "Dawn of Day" has personal growth seminars, is buying up real estate in town, and in a recent episode, when someone skeptical was asking questions, the cops came and told them to leave. The writers are clearly watching Leah's show.

They also for years on the show have featured the "Miscavige Home for the Criminally Insane" where all the worst criminals go Somebody high up at GH is not a fan. I'm surprised the COS is not after them! 

I wanted to Like this as Useful and Laugh too.  Thanks for the info.  I don't watch daytime soaps but they are an institution to be reckoned with!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, TVbitch said:

They also for years on the show have featured the "Miscavige Home for the Criminally Insane" where all the worst criminals go. Somebody high up at GH is not a fan. I'm surprised the COS is not after them! 

This is rather interesting since one of their main actors, Michelle Stafford, is a Scientologist and a pretty "dedicated" one at that. 

Here's an article from Tony Ortega from several years ago re Stafford.

https://tonyortega.org/2018/09/25/scientology-rewards-the-celeb-who-bolted-when-her-costar-went-rogue/

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

This is rather interesting since one of their main actors, Michelle Stafford, is a Scientologist and a pretty "dedicated" one at that. 

Here's an article from Tony Ortega from several years ago re Stafford.

https://tonyortega.org/2018/09/25/scientology-rewards-the-celeb-who-bolted-when-her-costar-went-rogue/

That was why she left Y&R?!? 😄

It seems to have been a good move for her anyway since she seemed burnt out in regards to playing Phyllis. During her last year or more on Y&R her character had a miscarriage that was so overly dramatic along with arm flailing that it was unintentionally funny. 

I'm not sure I knew that Martin Kove is a Scientologist. A few years ago one of those channels that airs old shows was airing Cagney & Lacey so I DVR'd each episode when they aired which were multiple ones a couple nights a week. I let the last couple seasons pile up on my DVR and have been working on getting through them by watching at least two episodes every once in awhile. Watching it reminds me of my Mom because it was one of her favorite shows when I was young. 

P.S. I just saw the photo of Martin in the comments of that article looking pervy while hugging a the person who posted it daughter.  🤢

At least Michael Fairman got out. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, WInterfalls said:

This video by Aaron Smith-Levin details how one of the episodes got scrapped. It's a pretty amazing/ insane story!

Just one question y’all:  How do we get this entire package of information to the network news stations, AP and American 60 Minutes for further investigation and dissemination to the general public?  Aaron needs to go broader than this so it gets picked up and run with and I know that he and Leah’s group have to have the connections.  Maybe (as he hinted in the end) they are making an Aftermath episode out of it, but who knows when/if another season will happen.  This should be reported on to a larger audience quickly, before Co$ has a chance to cover their tracks.  It sounds like they have been caught with their pants down to me.  Clearwater police are in a position to have to be honest right now, as soon as it is no longer an active investigation.

• Love 2

Came here to see why there was some woman collecting dead cats in her fridge instead of the show last night.  Sorry to see the season has ended early and we have dead cat lady running amuck on the screen. ("Hoarders" was the show).

I'm glad to hear that everyone from Mr Peanut to a soap opera is out taking on CO$ these days.  If EVERYONE stands up then no one can be bullied.  As more and more people happily make fun of this group they look like the real sad sacks losers they are running around screaming at people left and right.  Which encourages more people to take them on.  It is a snowball effect and they are about to be crushed by it.

I hear Robert Mueller may be wrapping up another investigation soon, heh.  Maybe we all should start a petition for him to look into CO$ next.  Miss Cabbage would wet his pants if that happened, hah.

Edited by green
  • Love 5

I just came across this--is there no level to low for them to stoop

The University of Southern California has been forced to open an investigation after discovering that the Church of Scientology may have forged a letter from one of its professors, begging Disney Corporation CEO Bob Iger to censor Leah Remini's Scientology expose series, "Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath."

• Love 1
On 2/12/2019 at 2:00 PM, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

Sadly, my feeling is that poor Shelly is far beyond the point where they can “clean her up” and trot her out to put the speculation to rest.  If by some miracle, she is still well enough, sane enough or presentable enough to put in front of a camera, I’m sure Co$ is afraid she would crack and rat them out.  Then everything would come tumbling down and they are NEVER going to allow that.

Leah and Mike may not have been doing God’s work while in scientology like they thought they were, but they certainly ARE now.  I wish them strength and courage and the continued backing and support of the public/media/law enforcement/government to continue what they are doing.  If anyone can save Shelly and so many others, it’s those two and the people that support them and won’t stop until it’s over.

I think you might enjoy reading Mike Rinder's blog.  I also think you would fit right in and that many of the people there would enjoy hearing from you.

www.mikerindersblog.org

If I got the link wrong, just Google for "Mike Rinder's Blog".

• Love 1