Type keyword(s) to search

Aftermath in the Media

• Start Topic

On 5/25/2018 at 5:17 PM, toodles said:

Anyone else watching the marathon today?

I saw it on my DVR! Plan to rewatch a few tonight!

Didn't know exactly where to post this so I will park it on this thread.

I am watching the movie Friends With Benefits starring Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis and the Justin Timberlake character takes a swipe at $cientology in the film when their characters hike to the Hollywood sign and climb the fence to gain illegal access to the sign itself.

Scene:

Justins character:" They take this very seriously, look at all cameras this is the only landmark this city has other than the $cientology center, and if any of these cameras are hooked up to the actual $cientology center that was an inappropriate joke, I apologize I believe in the freedom of science fiction."

What make this even sweeter is that none other than Jenna Elfman plays Justin's sister in the movie and Danny Masterson was of course Mila's boyfriend in that 70's show!

• Love 8
On 6/9/2018 at 3:21 PM, mbaywife123 said:

What make this even sweeter is that none other than Jenna Elfman plays Justin's sister in the movie

HA!  Love this. 

• Love 1

Did anyone hear anything about something happening to Leah recently?  I can't find the story now, so, I won't repeat it.  Maybe, I misread it or it was a fake news story.  Just curious. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone hear anything about something happening to Leah recently?  I can't find the story now, so, I won't repeat it.  Maybe, I misread it or it was a fake news story.  Just curious. 

I saw that and it may be fake.  I can't copy and paste from my kindle.  The gist of the story is Leah and the gang were sitting on a public park bench and COS called the cops for trespassing.  A & E was filming and got the whole thing.  Cops walked away.  If it's true, my guess we will see it next season.  I'm not sure if that's what you saw though.

It came right up when I searched Leah.

• Love 1

Sort of.....I read that she had been arrested.  Maybe, a play on the headline of the event that you describe.  I just knew it must have been some kind of COS shenanigans. They are too stupid to realize the sham is up.  People are on to them now and when they do crazy stuff, it just makes them look like the fool. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, toodles said:

I saw that and it may be fake.  I can't copy and paste from my kindle.  The gist of the story is Leah and the gang were sitting on a public park bench and COS called the cops for trespassing.  A & E was filming and got the whole thing.  Cops walked away.  If it's true, my guess we will see it next season.  I'm not sure if that's what you saw though.

It came right up when I searched Leah.

• Love 4

Here's Mike's blog about the Clearwater/Park Bench fiasco:  https://www.mikerindersblog.org/clearwater-follies/

And this is a great post from Leah that boils down to her warning the Scientology big wigs that she knows they're monitoring her and that she not only doesn't care but wants them to know it just makes her want to expose them even more:   https://www.mikerindersblog.org/a-message-from-leah-remini-to-scientology-operatives/

Really wishing for some new episodes soon!

• Love 9
(edited)

So, is this show (on Jehovah's Witness) just a special or are they going to address a different issue each week? I am curious. I 've always had questions about this faith.  Hmmm......

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/leah-reminis-next-a-e-project-tackle-jehovahs-witnesses-1114006

I hope they do some investigating into the Fundamentalist sect.  It may be considered more mainstream now, but, I'm not so sure.  Have they closed all those Fundie homes for wayward teens?  Lots of abuse in the past.  I'm not sure if any still exist.  They now have a huge following in home schools for children.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, is this show (on Jehovah's Witness) just a special or are they going to address a different issue each week? I am curious. I 've always had questions about this faith.  Hmmm......

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rambling-reporter/leah-reminis-next-a-e-project-tackle-jehovahs-witnesses-1114006

I hope they do some investigating into the Fundamentalist sect.  It may be considered more mainstream now, but, I'm not so sure.  Have they closed all those Fundie homes for wayward teens?  Lots of abuse in the past.  I'm not sure if any still exist.  They now have a huge following in home schools for children.  

Cults and Extreme Belief did an episode on JW.

• Love 2

Leah, Mike and company got another Emmy nomination today.

Here are the rest of the nominees in that category.

Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (CNN)

My Next Guest Needs No Introduction With David Letterman (Netflix)

StarTalk with Neil deGrasse Tyson (National Geographic)

Vice (HBO)

• Love 10
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:32 AM, Court said:

Cults and Extreme Belief did an episode on JW.

I just saw the one on the Moonies circa now vs when the cult/deprogramming expert on that Ask Me Anything episode was in it.

That is some serious batshit craziness.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I just saw the one on the Moonies circa now vs when the cult/deprogramming expert on that Ask Me Anything episode was in it.

That is some serious batshit craziness.

Not that it makes it much better, but the dude with the crown of bullets who blesses guns is a splinter off of the original Moonies.  And that crap is going on not far from me.  :/

• Love 1
On 7/8/2018 at 4:33 PM, italianguy626 said:

According to a post from Thursday on Tony Ortega's site, the show is returning August 15. However, IMDB doesn't have an airing date for the first episode of season 3. 

so what happened to the show's 3rd season? it never aired here.

17 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

It hasn't aired anywhere yet. I don't think any official announcement has been made in regards to what upcoming seasons will look like. I'm beginning to wonder if they are going to specials instead of seasons.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2018 at 10:18 AM, Jaded said:

It hasn't aired anywhere yet. I don't think any official announcement has been made in regards to what upcoming seasons will look like. I'm beginning to wonder if they are going to specials instead of seasons.

oh no! i love watching this weekly when it's on...

• Love 1
On 10/3/2018 at 9:59 AM, msrachelj said:

Mike Rinder responded to a question about Season 3 on his blog:

image.thumb.png.64895f17b200a6877a76f9535fae7cda.png

Edited by druzy
  • Love 4

I saw this article in the Daily Mail last week. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6215931/Leah-Remini-reveals-Katie-Holmes-lose-custody-Suri-speak.html

The article quotes from an interview Leah gave to Lapalme magazine. Here is what she said about next season:

Season three of my show is dedicated to the IRS and their ‘religious' tax-exempt status.

'Hey, call yourself a religion - I don't give a f**k! They should NOT have tax-exempt status. 

'They only got it because they ‘fair gamed' the IRS – bullied them, harassed them. 'The Mafia has more integrity!'  

All she says about next season’s start date is that it will return “in 2018”. 

• Love 8

I didn't see a topic for this show, but I'm sure a lot of us were interested in the premiere of The Devil Next Door tonight, which probes the Word of Faith cult. When it didn't come on, I googled a bit and found it had been cancelled at the last minute.  *raises eyebrow*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/11/28/ae-postpones-docuseries-devil-next-door-about-alleged-abuse-north-carolina-church/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a769bc67ac0e

• Love 6
14 hours ago, bref said:

I didn't see a topic for this show, but I'm sure a lot of us were interested in the premiere of The Devil Next Door tonight, which probes the Word of Faith cult. When it didn't come on, I googled a bit and found it had been cancelled at the last minute.  *raises eyebrow*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2018/11/28/ae-postpones-docuseries-devil-next-door-about-alleged-abuse-north-carolina-church/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a769bc67ac0e

I was wondering about that.  I had set my DVR to record it and got an episode of The First 48.

The article seems to indicate that the issue is that some of the informants were paid.  You would think they would have learned after the KKK debacle.

Edited by Omeletsmom
  • Love 7
On 11/28/2018 at 12:56 PM, Omeletsmom said:

I was wondering about that.  I had set my DVR to record it and got an episode of The First 48.

The article seems to indicate that the issue is that some of the informants were paid.  You would think they would have learned after the KKK debacle.

I am curious if people think Leah and Mike arent getting paid to do the show,  

i think the issue with paying KKK members was that it was the KKK and that it was rumored many wouldn’t be on the show unless they were paid.  

I don’t have a problem paying people for their time.   If they asked for a large sum that might be different.  

• Love 6
On 12/4/2018 at 5:07 PM, Brattinella said:

IMO, there are many that are in both groups.

How could anyone possibly  afford BOTH? Or have enough time for all those classes??

Edited by MamaMax
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, MamaMax said:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but has anyone listened to the Podcast, Escaping NXIVM? Soooooo many similarities to $cientology!!

I saw one or two specials about NXIVM, and I just don't understand the appeal at all.  I would find Scientology more appealing (from their sales pitches, anyway).

So many people when I saw the specials were all agush over Allison Mack.  I didn't even know who she was - I had to look her up.  I never watched Smallville, so at least I know why it never rang a bell, but at least Scamatology has bigger star power.

12 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I saw one or two specials about NXIVM, and I just don't understand the appeal at all.  I would find Scientology more appealing (from their sales pitches, anyway).

So many people when I saw the specials were all agush over Allison Mack.  I didn't even know who she was - I had to look her up.  I never watched Smallville, so at least I know why it never rang a bell, but at least Scamatology has bigger star power.

I really recommend the podcast, its a pretty deep dive into the whole thing. And again, the similarities are remarkable. It's like the NXIVM guy read all the Scientology shit and then just kinda tweaked it. No aliens there, though...as far as I know. 

Edited by MamaMax
  • Love 1

Well this is interesting; NXIVM and COS have crossed paths; Allison's lawyer is using a previous COS court case as a precedent to why Allison and NXIVM shouldn't be guilty of forced labor and other charges. 

This is all so twisted I can't even find the words except that it's pathetic that COS won that case in 2009 to begin with and the idea that it could be used by NXIVM now or by COS in the future to get them off the hook is truly disgusting.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/28/nxivm-lawyers-use-scientology-to-dispute-forced-labor-allegations/

• Love 3

Last year, they were saying that S3 would have specials on both Jehovah's Witnesses and NXIVM.

If that is the plan, I wonder if they still have a chance to tweak that episode to respond to this.

I think that 2009 case was the same one that shutdown the FBI investigation into human trafficking in Scientology.  

Has anything recently happened with Marty Rathburn?  It just seems they are including him more often than in previous years.  They always seemed very protective of him before.  Maybe I'm just reading too much into the clips they have been showing.

• Love 1